Sherlock Gnomes (2018) Poster

Worth Seeing? G-NO-ME
southdavid4 June 2018
(Sigh) . . . Lacking, would be my one word review of "Sherlock Gnomes". Though the animation itself is nice, the basic story and lacklustre script will probably leave most of the children in the audience bored, let alone the adults.

The vocal performances are a mixed bag. With Gnomeo and Juliet effectively sidelined for a lot of the film, their performers (James McAvoy and Emily Blunt) probably give the flattest turns, but this does allow for Johnny Depp and, particularly, Jamie Demetriou to shine as Holmes and Moriaty respectively. There is a song crowbarred in around the middle of the picture from Mary j Blige's Irene Adler, which is as inexplicable as it is awful. In fact, music in general it a bit of a problem for the film - with a few bars of various Elton John hits piped into certain scenes, but it's like hearing a panpipe version in a lift, recognisable but not entertaining.

There is, as I say, some nice animation but there aren't nearly enough gags that land, and certainly not enough that would appeal to any of the older kids / adults in the audience.
15 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You're left wondering who it's for, and why you can't care enough to even be bored.
Pjtaylor-96-1380448 May 2018
You are left wondering exactly who 'Sherlock Gnomes (2018)' is for, other than the pun-masters who came up with its title while presumably snickering for a second and then realising they have to spend literally years to make an entire feature surrounding their wordsmith handiwork. See, it's not like any of the four year-old's this should be aimed at will get most of the 'adult' or referential humour or even know who 'Sherlock Holmes' is, much less care for his porcelain counterpart, and I'd even stretch to say that the 'potty' humour that's seen here is just too subtle to give kids a giggle, either. It simultaneously seems to aim too young and too old, failing to find its audience because of this. Where the first 'Gnomeo & Juliet (2011)' sought to bring a classic Shakespeare story to a younger audience, however successfully, this one clearly just started with a pun and spun out from there, with no real intention of adapting a proper source story or even sticking to the character in any real way. It's not too big a leap to assume the character was only chosen due to the earliest of his stories being in the public domain. The result is a mishmash of the first flick with these loosely adapted, but not really parodied, characters from a classic adult detective fiction that has no connection to either 'Romeo & Juliet' or any of the Gnome elements from the franchise. These pieces clash together and vie for attention in a bizarre way, both competing to control a film which should really be a sequel to its predecessor but can't properly be because it's not allowed to have time away from its new, essentially unrelated characters. It therefore doesn't introduce children to the 'Holmes' character through his 'Gnomes' variant, in the way that 'Gnomeo' leads nicely into 'Romeo' even though the former is a severely watered down version of the latter, but still heavily borrows an amalgamation of elements from several of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's stories and uses them as fodder for clumsy jokes and haphazard plot elements. It's almost as if you'd need to be a proper 'Holmes' fan to even understand most of these references, and if you're a fan you probably won't like this or its representation of the character - though, you probably won't see it, to be fair. The piece also opens the world up in strange ways that make it feel closer to 'Toy Story (1995)' in the worst way possible, a bad imitation losing its identity in every way it can.

It's actually a little hard to put my finger on why I disliked this one as much as I did, for in theory it ought to be a harmless, if joyless, experience that can be watched passively, yet easily. It's not offensive, the voice-work is decent and so is the animation. There was clearly work put into the piece and the messages are important, if a little ham-fisted. On paper, it is certainly far from the worst thing I've seen. Yet, I have a distinct distaste for it. I'm not angry, tired or still cringing about it (though I was cringing pretty much every time Elton John came on in lieu of a musical score), and I wasn't totally bored while watching. I think that might just be it, though: the lack of any real response. It isn't good for anything, not even putting you to sleep. 3/10
23 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Although the plot is predictable, still funny and clever
rannynm28 May 2018
Breaking news from London-garden gnomes have been kidnapped! "Oh fertilizer!" This is one of many amusing jokes from the very British characters in Sherlock Gnomes, sequel to the 2011 animated film Gnomeo and Juliet. Although the plot of this family-friendly movie is somewhat predictable, it is still quite funny and clever.

In this sequel, the formerly star-crossed lovers Gnomeo (James McAvoy) and Juliet (Emily Blunt) are married and have just moved to London where they are appointed by their parents as joint heads of the garden. Both Juliet and Gnomeo feel the pressures of their new leadership roles and the marriage begins to suffer through lack of communication and mutual appreciation. Meanwhile, their gnome friends are disappearing from homes all over London, and they attempt to search for and save them. With the help of Sherlock Gnomes (Johnny Depp) and Watson (Chiwetel Ejiofor), the adventure begins - to defeat the evil pie company called Moriarty (Jamie Demetriou) and save all gnomes. We also see that poor Watson is quite ignored and under-appreciated by Sherlock.

My favorite aspects of this movie are the music, Johnny Depp and the "planning" sequences. I love the song choices used in transitions between scenes. If you are a fan of Sir Elton John, you will be pleased to hear many of his hits, including "Don't Go Breaking My Heart," "I'm Still Standing," "Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting" and a fantastic new song performed by the great Mary J. Blige. Johnny Depp is hilarious with his condescending British accent. I have seen almost every movie he has ever been in and he never disappoints with his comedic intensity. Another interesting thing that happens is when we see the inner workings of Sherlock's mind in 2-D black-and-white animation. One clinker for me is when super-intelligent Watson, looking for Gnomeo, says "Gnomeo, Gnomeo! Oh don't make me say it - wherefore art thou, Gnomeo?" (Of course "wherefore" means "why" in Romeo and Juliet.)

The message of this story is a good one - that you will succeed by respecting the people who support you. Sherlock learns that lesson when he realizes that Watson feels that Sherlock isn't listening to him or respecting him. Juliet learns it when she realizes that Gnomeo feels as if Juliet is ignoring him, too.

I rate this film 5 out of 5 stars because, almost all the scenes kept me laughing, the music is great, and I love the message. I recommend this movie for ages 7 to 18.

Reviewed by Lucia F, KIDS FIRST! Film Critic. For more reviews by youth, visit kidsfirst dot org.
16 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprisingly creative and entertaining!
designsbygus11 April 2018
I was hesitant about seeing "Sherlock Gnomes", as its simple wordplay title makes it easy to dismiss. I tell you honestly, I thoroughly enjoyed it, and frankly at the end I was surprised by how much I had enjoyed it. It is far funnier, and far more creative, than its throw-away pun of a title would suggest.

True, the story, which takes often broad comedic swipes at a well-established literary franchise, dares to ask its audience to accept the dual conceits that not only do we humans share our world with clay/ceramic garden gnomes which are actually living sentient creatures, but also that one of them is a hyper-intelligent investigator with a strong sense of duty. But once the story gets going (lead into by a Looney Tunes-esque news report), it does prove to have a surprisingly complex plot, in which there is in fact is a mystery in need of solving.

Performances of minor and supporting characters range from acceptable to very good. The leads are very well done. Depp's Sherlock is arrogant and socially awkward yet comically unaware of this; he's also dry almost to the point of being the "straight man". Ejiofor readily elicits sympathy for his exasperated and put-upon Watson. McAvoy's Gnomeo and Blunt's Juliet are played with a good range of emotions, although in my opinion McAvoy goes further, for comedy/action effect.

With so many full-CGI movies today, especially those ostensibly meant for children, it's easy for the viewer to get jaded and miss the details. This is unfortunate, because often the filmmakers put great detail into their films which enrich the viewing, even if those details are only seen subconsciously. "Sherlock Gnomes" is just such a movie, with often stunningly-rendered CGI. In an "over the shoulder" shot of Sherlock talking with Juliet, the side of his pointy, aquiline nose can be seen; it shows flecks and minor chips like an actual ceramic figure would have. This gives more visual weight to the scene than it would've had if that surface were rendered simply as a smooth plane. In another scene, we see that the apron strings tied around Juliet's back are not three-dimensional moving objects; they are in fact rendered to look hand-painted on, as they would be on an actual garden figure. A city scene of people walking past shops is so well-rendered, for a moment I actually thought I was seeing footage rather than animation. Along with the quality of the CGI, this film also has highly creative visuals. Sherlock's "mind palace" sequences are beautifully rendered as line-art animations.

It is this rich detail which makes the film's one down point stand out so poorly. While the movie's soundtrack features much music by Elton John and Bernie Taupin, this is not a musical. For me, the inclusion of what was in essence a music video in the middle of the story was very jarring. The song is performed by a doll voiced by Mary J. Blige. Her character is well-rendered, and her dialogue is nicely delivered; however her singing style combined with the over-produced music made the lyrics almost entirely unintelligible. I found myself wandering off, which was regrettable because I realized I had been missing more great visuals. In the background are very impressive "dance troupe" animations which clearly have Ziegfeld/Berkeley/Esther Williams-esque choreography. These are easy to miss but definitely deserve to be noticed.

Some weak gags in the trailer are not used in the film, to the film's improvement; one that does remain leads to a "Hound of the Baskervilles" reference which works well.

Finally, the film's well-placed tribute to Ray Harryhausen is to be greatly appreciated.

Overall, "Sherlock Gnomes" is a surprisingly well-executed and enjoyable comedy. Only that misplaced song keeps me from scoring it higher. This is a great movie for kids, and a creative treat for adults, especially parents. 9 out of 10.
17 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Too much soap opera drama stuff
the_doofy11 June 2018
After awhile I was pretty burned out on the friendship stuff, the theme was revisited so much I started to wonder if it was being used as filler.

The scene in the toy store with the cats and stuff was good and funny, that 'set piece' was the one redeeming feature for the movie, there wasn't enough of that kind of thing. I wonder if anyone did a cut of that scene and put it on utube, if so go to Utube and watch the one thing from the movie that was enjoyable and do something else with that time saved.

I could be wrong, but I think whoever came up with the toy cat stuff was hired as an outside consultant in relation to the writers and producers of this soap operatic gnome movie
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awful!!
noahbmayfield17 March 2018
The trailer should have been a dead giveaway that this would be a horrible movie. This movie made me sick with the sense of potty humor in this. A little is okay for the kids, but this was ridiculous. And it did make me uncomfortable. It was also just a bad story.

However, I have to give credit to the writers for throwing in those adult jokes that definitely gave parents and older kids a chuckle.

But still. Save your money.
23 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An underrated gem
jackwarchibald15 April 2018
You know, call me crazy, but I didn't think this film was half bad.

Of course it's predictable. Of course it's cheesy, But underneath that all is a great story, great characters to latch onto, and some surprisingly funny. Luckily Mankene wasn't in the movie too much.

I'm gonna have to give it a B or on an Imdb scale, a 7/10. Fun family entertainment.
10 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A fantastic take on Sherlock Holmes
monkeypants-3761324 March 2018
I went to see this movie expecting little to nothing, but what I got in return was a fully developed well made animated movie. That contained no "twerking" or "fart jokes" like in the trailer (I think they were only animated for the trailer, not too sure why). The movie is smart and funny, it has good messages for kids and maybe even adults. Super action packed and also for any Sherlock fans, I spotted a couple sherlock related easter eggs. It is not only exciting but very beautifully animated and the lighting is also stunning. I think that this take on Sherlock Holmes is a very different one but still stays true to Conan Doyle's story (the easter eggs are very clever). I believe it is a good way to introduce kids to those characters.

It is also impressive since this movie came from Paramount which has little to no experience in the animation world. I have no idea how the creators of this movie were able to make "Sherlock Gnomes" into a really great animated movie, that is closer to a Disney or Pixar type movie then an illumination movie.

Last thing, not too sure why its getting such terrible reviews (19% on rotten tomatoes) I would say at worst some parts of the movie are mediocre, but it still does not deserve 19%. Some people really must have it out for this film.

highly recommend :)
23 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really cute, but way too generic.
letande28 March 2018
Ah, direct sequel to Gnomeo & Juliet. And you know? I kind of waited for it. Back in 2011 I thought that Gnomeo & Juliet was pretty cute. I always loved stories about the worlds of toys and garden gnomes added nice little touch to the concept. The biggest problem with Gnomeo & Juliet was the fact that it was somewhat... boring. It was a cute little family movie with nice animation and some pretty heartwarming moments, but... it was also somewhat generic. So, while 10+ kids had a chance to fully enjoy it, parents, on the other hand, were can't help but feel sleepy from time to time. Just because, well, they've seen most of the stuff already for quite some times. Yes, garden with cute little gnomes was a nice touch, but it wasn't enough to turn the whole thing into an exciting experience. So, what I expected from sequel is to fix that problem. Because with better script Gnomeo & Juliet had a chance to become really good. So, did sequel achieve that?

Unfortunately, no. Quite the opposite, actually. Sherlock Gnomes is pretty much exactly the same thing. Which means that we've got a lot of adorable characters, we've got stars (Ozzy Osbourne returns as Fawn, while Johnny Depp voices the title character), we've got surprisingly good animation with really nice 3D, we've got soundtrack with a lot of famous songs by Sir Elton John, we've got a story with meaning for both kids and adults, we've got some heartwarming moments... BUT we didn't get anything unique. Like with Gnomeo & Juliet, you won't miss anything special if you'll skip Sherlock Gnomes. Just because a lot of other animated movies can provide pretty much the same thing with almost the same stories and meanings. So, again, garden gnomes repeated their biggest mistake. They didn't provide the real reason to pay for a ticket.

Of course, there are moments in your life when you want a family movie and don't want to re-watch the Toy Story for like a million time. And that's where this movie shines. It's something that was made exactly for such moments. To fill the gap between you re-watching Toy Story and you re-watching Despicable Me during your family animation marathon on holidays. Some scenes are actually feel like they were made with those movies in mind. It's like more of the same and that's it. So, did I enjoy Sherlock Gnomes? Yep. Does it worth going to a movie and pay for tickets? Nope. Like previous movie, this one is something you occasionally watch on Netflix. And there's no other way to it, even if it means for you to miss pretty nice 3D.
7 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Definately a Cartoon with little interest toward Children
suebingo194925 March 2018
5 minutes into the movie, you could hear children asking their parents about what was happening?? Who & What is Sherlock? 10 minutes into movie, kids wanting to go get candy or a drink or needing to go to the restroom. Upon their return, it was a buzz of chaos from the kids, again! 1/2 way through the movie, you could tell this movie was a flop to the kids. I tried to fill my G-daughter in on who Sherlock Holmes was......and to lay the plot up to her so she could catch up from her own Popcorn break.... but, she had already lost interest and was looking around at the other kids in the theater and asking how much longer was left of the movie, so we could go bowling. Not an attention getter for kids.
11 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sherlock Holmes with a gnome makeover
TheLittleSongbird21 May 2018
Love animation, it was a big part of my life as a child, particularly Disney, Looney Tunes, Hanna Barbera and Tom and Jerry. Still love it to this day, whether it's film, television or cartoons.

Found myself surprisingly liking 'Gnomeo and Juliet' from seven years ago. It was not great or perfect but it had charm, fun and heart and knew what it wanted to be without trying to do more than needed. 'Sherlock Gnomes' actually had the potential to be better for somebody who is also a big fan of Sherlock Holmes and is always intrigued by how well he lends to animation. He and his stories have been used in animation quite a few times before, a prime example being Disney's 'The Great Mouse Detective' which was proof that he lends well to animation. The Tom and Jerry crossover film from 2010 showed that a crossover could work too. Part of me was apprehensive, because the trailer really didn't look that appealing.

'Sherlock Gnomes' for me is inferior to 'Gnomeo and Juliet', lacking its charm, heart and focus and its target audience is less clear. It is better than the trailer suggested and is not as bad as some critics have made out, but with an all-star voice cast and such iconic literary characters being involved there was a much better film somewhere that never fully materialised.

There are good things. The animation and voice acting are the best things. The animation is bright and colourful with charming designs and beautifully detailed backgrounds. The voice cast do a great job, although for my tastes Jamie Demetriou was a little too light-weight for Moriaty. James McAvoy and Emily Blunt are charming and Michael Caine and Maggie Smith can do no wrong, even Ozzy Osbourne is fun. Johnny Depp is especially good though, the eccentricity, intelligence, arrogance and spirit all there.

Although they needed to be more consistent, there are charming moments like the romantic chemistry, clever Holmesian references and amusing parts. Some of the pace is lively and the mystery intrigues in enough parts to keep one not bailing.

On the other hand, too much of the material feels tired and lacks freshness. The story is thin structurally and tends to hold few surprises and even less twists. Tension and suspense aren't there that much and it would have benefitted from cramming in less and having less characters (have to agree that there are far too many).

Unlike 'Gnomeo and Juliet', target audience is a bit of an issue in 'Sherlock Gnomes'. It tries to appeal to both children and adults, so every member of the family, and doesn't know how to go about it that tonally it feels muddled. The film tends to be too childish for adults, nothing is distasteful but too much of the humour makes one groan, and is likely to be too confused for younger audiences that (as well as those unfamiliar with Sherlock Holmes and acquainting themselves with him through this film) might find the Holmesian references going over their heads. Characters are never annoying but are a bit bland and too much of the soundtrack does not fit, too much of out of place and randomly inserted.

In summary, mediocre for me but not a waste of time and was oddly a little better than expected. 4/10 Bethany Cox
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
great movie.
arwhitney25 September 2018
Sherlock Gnomes is a cinematic masterpiece. From the beautiful lighting to the voices of the many diverse and creative characters. 10/10.

God left he abandoned this realm many years ago and this is what he left us.

s h e r l o c k g n o m e s.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A mom's perspective
trinaboice27 March 2018
Grade: B-

In a Nutshell: With original music by Elton John and Bernie Taupin, this gnome animation is a gentle introduction to Sir Arthur Conan Dole's classic story of Sherlock Holmes. It has action, comedy, good music, and uplifting themes, making it an entertaining movie for kids and watchable enough for parents.

Tips for parents:

Profanity like "Cheese & Crackers!" and "Fertilizer!" You see quite a bit of a dancing gnome in a thong. If you saw the first Gnomeo & Juliet, you've already been introduced to Mankini, a character kids will laugh at, yet one who is pretty inappropriate for young children, in my opinion. The first Gnomeo & Juliet was rated G, but this one is PG for using some rude and suggestive humor. Mankini's appearances definitely bumped up the rating. There is some potty humor that will make most parents squirm. Some subtitles All British accents and landmarks in London.

Uplifting theme:

"We all have our good and bad sides." - Watson (Chiwetel Ejiofor) "A man doesn't make you strong, but the right partner can make you stronger." - Juliet (Emily Blunt) "We took our best friends for granted. We stopped listening. We stopped giving them the respect they deserved. They were the last thing we were thinking about and they should have been the first." - Juliet Family and friendships

Things I liked:

Star-studded, award-winning voice talents include James McAvoy, Johhny Depp, Michael Caine, Emily Blunt, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Maggie Smith, and Mary J. Blige. The animation is very well done with impressively expressive characters. Lots of physical gags and entertaining visuals. Fun soundtrack of popular hits and new songs. It uses several different types of animation, which I thought was cleverly done. A couple of twists. I love twists. The sound effects were really good, allowing you to hear the clay pots and hear the weight of the gnomes. Stay to the end of the rolling credits to see a few more little things. Kids will like the use of modern technology in the story telling.

Things I didn't like:

Sherlock Gnomes is pretty annoying and not very likable. If only they had gotten Benedict Cumberbatch to play the voice! He does a fantastic job in the TV adaptation. That would have been awesome and hilarious. Don't get me wrong, because Johnny Depp was fine, but Cumberbatch as Sherlock...come on! There are a lot of jokes that kids simply won't get because they're references to older generations, like the River Dance gag. I started to get bored. It felt like a video I would put on for my kids at home to keep them occupied while I got some work done.

Funny lines:

"To be fair, it was needlessly complicated, but that's what super villains do." - Moriarty
9 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great for all ages
sesialuko30 September 2018
Despite what many people say, this movie is very entertaining for both children and adults, the music mixed with the great acting make this a really great movie, although some scenes are not that appropriate for young children, the plot is still really good.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ozzy was alright
jimmy-lewis266 May 2018
Utter pants film whose best bit was the voice from Ozzy. Even my young son predicted the ending before it happened and the jokes were pretty pants at best
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A bit drab and indifferent
neil-47621 May 2018
Gnomeo and Juliet and the other gnomes we met in the first film move (or, more correctly, are moved) to London, where they find themselves in the middle of a spree of gnome thefts. The enlist the help of celebrated detective Sherlock Gnomes to track down their missing friends. The original movie had a kind of odd, wholly British charm, and this sequel captures part of that. A great voice cast indulges in a vast number of silly jokes, many of them gnome-based, many of them mildly rude, in a plot which is a detective story mystery with a little bit of character stuff added in.

I've got to say that, notwithstanding the star-studded voice work and my affection for animation, this film pleased me more in the little touches (the pottery clinking sounds accompanying the gnomes moving) than in the whole. It's undemanding, but with little charm.

It didn't really grab me.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hated every second of it.
bazdittmer3 March 2019
The jokes were horrible, stuff was cliched, we didn't need this sequel. Don't watch this.
Funky - But not as Good as the Original
hammondjh-004793 November 2018
Enjoyed this but: Some of the storyline has been taken from Flushed Away, and in parts the story just doesn't work.However, if you love everything gnomes, then sit back, grab a drink and escape into a world of gnomes, gargoyles and Chinese cats!
fun characters
SnoopyStyle7 October 2018
Sherlock Gnomes and Watson are the protectors of London's gnomes against the evil Moriarty. After defeating Moriarty, Sherlock is listless until he gets a new case of missing gnomes. Gnomeo and Juliet discover their family and friends have disappeared. They join Sherlock and Watson on their investigation.

This franchise doesn't have the highest of ambitions. It does have some fun characters. This sequel adds an interesting Sherlock and Watson duo. I like them and I like their opening battle with Moriarty. The start is muddled by the fact that the franchise protagonists are Gnomeo and Juliet. There is a split in attention. Once the foursome is formed, they are actually fun together. The best part is Juliet being smarter and more capable than the arrogant Sherlock. Once the group splits up again, the fun chemistry gets muddled again. Mostly, I like these characters and the overly complicated scheme does fit the plot. It's a fun short time and this movie is short.
So awesome!
Cheeesecake400021 March 2018
Loved the first movie so much and the sequel was amazing! Full of action, adventure, and comedy, this movie will entertain children and even adults!
13 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
THE BEST MOVIE I HAVE EVER SEEN/!?!!?
thegeorgebushreal18 April 2018
Mankini was my favorite charchtor! My mom let me see this movie and i liked it. 11/10 would see again mt favorite movie
9 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great adventure movie
picklepearlwoof24 March 2018
This movie is super fun and jampacked full of adventure. It is entertaining for kids and even adults. My family and I really enjoyed this movie and highly recommend to anybody in the mood for a good old detective story with a few twists and turns.
10 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Quite entertaining
sysvictor1 April 2018
Thought this is quite entertaining especially for family with younger children. Not sure why it's not getting the rating it deserves.
5 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ugh
guyharee2 April 2018
Terrible. Not even that appropriate for kids. Disgusting. Waste of money!
5 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Elementary My Dear Gnome!
rgkarim24 March 2018
Sherlock Holmes, an iconic literature/media character who forever scoped our ideas of English crime solving. Portrayed in various forms, the entity of this crime solver continues to entertain the masses and provide a media outlet that is not only entertaining, but brainteasing. Yet, I've never seen the iconic detective portrayed as a...garden gnome. No, you didn't misread my friends, this weekend the English detective has transformed into a moveable garden gnome in today's review of Sherlock Gnomes, the great detective has been downsized to London's gardens attempting to uncover the secret behind the abducted gnomes and bring piece back to the neighborhood they share. What will be the verdict of this adventure? As always, please read to find out my thoughts on the latest movies to hit the big screen.

LIKES:

Fun: This sequel to Gnomeo and Juliet is very energetic and full of fun gimmicks to entertain. The kid friendly atmosphere of the film is vibrant and full of color, while the references to a number of movies, shows, and other older themes keep the adult population in check. A quick pace and lots of quips also help keep the thrills coming and help one pay attention through the whole adventure.

Clever: Fortunately, the British trend of clever comedy and storytelling carry in to this animated feature. For one thing the adventure is well-designed, with a direction that combined the mystery of the BBC series with the imagination of Disney. Seeing the clues cleverly hidden, the various cultures represented at each clue sight, and even the character relationships of Holmes are captured in the various sequences of the film. Integrate the relationships from Gnomeo and Juliet and the cleverness takes another turn down respectable levels. As for the humor, it is balance of slapstick-childish antics and dry wit that expand across all audiences.

Voice Acting: While the animation is a treat on the eyes, it's the voice acting that really brings the characters to the full life. Emily Blunt and James McAvoy do a bang up job playing the star crossed lovers, and Julio Bonet as Mankini is just as delightful, though not as prominent as he was in the first installment. Yet it is Chiwetel Ejiofor and Johnny Depp who really hold the center stage in this movie. Both men held all the mannerisms and prestige in their voice work, while solidifying the relationship felt between the two garden gnome detectives. I could feel the tension between them and picture these two as a live version adaptation in the future should they decide to make it.

The Music: Finally, the same beats from the first film return in that toe tapping, move in your seat manner that the little one's love. Mostly covers of the great Sir Elton John's work, Sherlock Gnomes sequences get a little more energy from the song director's choices and I quite enjoyed the extra kick you got from these upbeat songs (that for once did not result in a dance number).

DISLIKES:

Character Usage: Saw this coming, but Gnomeo and Juliet suffers from not utilizing all the characters well. Most of the new characters get their decent share of screen time, but the veteran characters have fallen victim to a few silly moments, with Mankini being the only cameo I really enjoyed. While the new characters do need the development, Sherlock Gnomes needed to almost forgo most of the other characters to avoid this dislike for me.

Predictable: The movie may be entertaining, but it is predictable to say the least. Disney has proven the masters of throwing in that heart stopping twist, but Sherlock Gnomes apparently falls victim to reason and intellect to let this happen. So, I was a little disappointed to not have a few more twists thrown in to give it some more suspense.

More Elton: One of my favorite things of Gnomeo and Juliet is the music from the Captain of the Keys Sir Elton John. So why in the world would they limit their track to one original song? Obviously merchandising and budget, but I would have loved more of the knighted performers tunes filling the screen instead of just the covers that came about.

More Adventure: Normally I'm thrilled for a short run time, but this movie was one that needed a little more to really maximize the movie. Each of the obstacles/clues could have gone more in depth, as they passed through the obstacles quite easily. Instead, the movie blew through the obstacles very quickly, giving little time to capitalize on the mystery/adventurous aspect. In addition, adding a little darker edge would have won some more brownie points to help develop the mystery.

The Mary J. Blige song: Respect to the artist for her performance is on spot, but in the movie...it doesn't work for me outside of merchandising. The song tries to alliterate on what could be a good character developing role, but they go nowhere with this thereby further making this song irrelevant. And of all the obstacles that stood in Sherlock's way, this was the one that took the most time. Again, had they taken this component further, it may have won more points for me.

The VERDICT:

Sherlock Gnomes is one of the more fun, kid adventures I've been on in a long, long time. It's got a nice balance of comedy that fits well with the adventure and a soundtrack that further pumps up the volume of detective fun in this crazy sequel. Despite all the balance this movie has though, it still needed some work in character integration and expanding on the adventure element of the film. Don't get too caught up wanting to root for your favorite characters from the first film, unless they were the titular characters. Otherwise give this film a try and get out there with the family to see it.

My scores are:

Animation/Adventure/Comedy: 7.5 Movie Overall: 6.5
6 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.