Frozen (2013) Poster

(I) (2013)

Most Overrated Movie of 2013
ruth-music-123431 March 2014
I'm an 18 year old girl, who is a HUGE Disney fan and loves watching what her friends deem "little kid movies". I was looking for a way to celebrate finishing my first semester at college(in December), so I went to see Frozen, which had gotten great reviews.

The beginning of the movie was decent. Do You Want to Build a Snowman made me tear up and Kristen Bell and Santino Fontana's voices sounded like they were made for each other in Love is an Open Door. However, the positivity stops there. At the end of Love is an Open Door, when Prince Hans asks Anna to marry him, I immediately KNEW that something was wrong and that this was an attempt to mock the Disney "love-at- first-sight" cliché. Now, before I continue, I'd just like to point out that I am ridiculously sick of people praising Elsa for being the first Disney princess to say "You can't marry a man you just met".

1) This is a result of people on the internet poking fun at Disney Princess movies. However, if those people even bothered to REALLY watch them, they'd realize that although this movie may be the first to explicitly state that girls shouldn't marry someone they just met, this is not a new concept in the Disney world. In fact, I don't recall Pocahontas, Mulan, Rapunzel, Tiana, Jasmine, or Belle marrying men that they just met.

2) Re-watch that scene. She only said that because she was worried about Hans' brothers staying over for the wedding and having yet another social event that she'd be required to attend. She panics and says "No one's brothers are staying here. No one's getting married". See her priorities? Elsa's reason for not blessing their marriage doesn't stem from their quick engagement. It's much more self-centered than that.

Next, let's not forget the plot holes, the most obvious one being the anti-climatic ending: "Of course...Love!" Sorry, what? Elsa trying to protect Anna from herself wasn't love? Besides, why does Elsa even have powers? Why are there trolls and where did they come from? Why did Prince Hans protect Elsa if he wanted her dead? He could have been "distracted" when the guard was trying to kill Elsa. Why does Olaf come to life and where has he been the entire time the girls were growing up? Maybe the directors should have paid less attention to casting *famous* people and more to making a good plot. (Casting complaint: Elsa looked like she was in her mid-twenties and sounded old enough to be Anna's mother.)

Anyways, moving on to my next complaint: Olaf, the snowman AKA my least favorite character in the entire movie. His awkward attempts at jokes and sheer stupidity were torturous to sit through. In Summer was one of the worst songs in the movie, right up there with Fixer Upper. What is Fixer Upper even promoting? Cheating?!?! Because that's what I thought as the trolls sang about getting Anna's fiancé out of the way. Also, I could not stand how Anna flirted with and almost MARRIED Kristoff while engaged to Hans. Luckily for her, Prince Hans just *happened* to be a villain. How very convenient (and completely unnecessary). Elsa, having been alone her entire life, could have used a love story and Kristoff would have been the perfect match for her. Elsa and Kristoff could have bonded over her powers and his love for ice. Instead, Kristoff and Anna ended up being an extremely weak, unlikeable rip-off of Flynn and Rapunzel.

Lastly, having watched Disney movies all my life, I have to say, this movie has the largest percentage of bad songs I've ever seen in a single movie. "Let it Go" is the most overrated song I have EVER heard and I was quite disappointed to hear that it had won the Oscar for Best Original Song. The rhymes were unoriginal and it was not memorable at all, although after hearing people sing it 24/7, it does get ingrained into your brain. Some of the other songs were catchy, but there was still a HUGE lack of originality in the rhymes. Even my nine-year-old sister criticized the Frozen songwriters' creativity, pointing out that they rhymed "door" and "anymore" in four songs ("Do You Want to Build a Snowman", "For the First Time in Forever", "Love is an Open Door", and "Let it Go").

To summarize, this movie was not deserving of the Oscars it won. Then again, there was not much competition this year. This movie was basically a slap in the face to all the Classic Disney Princess movies and is tied for #1 with Brave on my Worst Disney Princess Movies list. If you REALLY want to see a movie worth watching, I recommend Tangled, which is as underrated as Frozen is overrated. The songs, plot, and characters are much better developed and the whole movie is absolutely delightful. The music was beautifully composed and don't even get me started on how amazing Donna Murphy, Zachary Levi, and Mandy Moore's performances were! Whereas I will never re-watch Frozen, I re-watch Tangled every couple of months even though I can quote the entire movie and sing every song. I know many Tangled fans went to see Frozen - expecting it to be as good as Tangled- and were very disappointed. Disney may be gaining new fans, but they're losing their loyal fans. Look at Frozen's percentage of 1/10 ratings compared to those of Tangled. Until Disney gets their act together, I will not be wasting any more of my time watching these movies in theaters. As Zazu said, "If this is where the monarchy is headed, count me out".

tl;dr- Plot holes galore. Lackluster songs. Terrible morals/lessons. Save your money and time.

(Apparently 0/10 is not an option, so I'll give it one point for the animation.)
382 out of 605 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I Don't Get Why Everyone Loves It
Michael Burnard3 February 2014
Let me start this off by saying that I generally like Disney films, and that this is not some anti-kiddie flick internet geek writing this. Now that I have that out of the way, I would like to tell you how terrible this movie is. First of all, there is only one song that I think was actually good. The first song in the film is a fantastic number about the hardships of winter, with a great track, expert vocals and a grand, sweeping tone. The rest of the songs are not nearly so good, as they are all sung by the protagonists, which is fine the first few times but gets really monotonous by about halfway through. The movie also wasn't especially funny, which is a saving grace in some of Disney's other lackluster releases. The comic relief character was okay (in that he wasn't nearly as annoying as everyone else) but he was only there to provide some moderately executed slapstick comedy, and the only funny spoken line in the movie. While the script is fine for a TV special or maybe the first episode of a Nickelodeon series, it is definitely not right for a high-profile animated film. Let's just say, there are trolls. Singing, incredibly annoying trolls who show up basically just for the hell of it, and then disappear without a trace. And, while there was one character turn which was actually quite well executed, it is wasted almost immediately, because it changes absolutely nothing about the story. No events drastically alter because of it, there's no clever subtext, and the entire thing feels like it was just inserted so the screenwriter could show how clever he was. I mean, the trip to the cinemas wasn't completely pointless. There was a quite funny Mickey Mouse cartoon they played before the picture, and the trailer for the Lego movie looks like it could be worth something. Otherwise, this movie was terrible. Avoid it if you can, unless you have some kids you need to get out of the house. If so, make sure you bring a good book.
190 out of 297 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A story that's all slush.
The_Film_Cricket12 December 2013
It is sort of disheartening going into Disney's production of "Frozen" to report that this is a project that Walt himself had been tinkering with as far back as the 40s, disheartening because the result falls far short of spectacular. After all these years, after all this effort, what has come to the screen is a dull, lackluster and fairly canned story that Uncle Walt would have most certainly demanded be rewritten.

What comes to the screen looks terrific. The animation is crisp and colorful. The ice-flows glisten in a magical way, but the story is disastrously underwritten. It plays like one of Disney's quickly-made DVD releases, or one of those classic fairy tales starring Barbie. Worse, it has musical numbers that are not only forgettable; they slow down the film's forward momentum. They're bad, and that ain't good.

Loosely based on the Hans Christian Anderson 1845 tale "The Snow Queen", the story takes place in the Nordic kingdom of Arendelle where Elsa (Idina Menzel) is born with a superpower that she doesn't want: Everything she touches turns to ice. With this gift, her royal parents reasonably do what any Disney parent would do, by keeping her power a secret and locking her up in her bedroom for life. Who wouldn't? Elsa's cold-weather Midas Touch eventually gets her banished from the kingdom when a wintry temper tantrum leads to disaster. Cast out into the cold, she heads off into the mountains where she builds herself a lonely castle in which to stew in her misery. Meanwhile, the winter-wonderland that she has left in her wake is (unbeknownst to her) turning out to be permanent.

That sets her sister Anna (Kristen Bell) off into the frozen wilderness to bring her disgraced sibling back. Her sidekicks include a hunky guide named Kristoff who runs an ice business, and a living, breathing snow man named Olaf (Josh Gad).

Olaf would seem to be the film's chief selling point. He's a cute motor-mouth with a silly wish that, given his molecular configuration, might prove fatal - he's unaware that snow melts in summer. Olaf is not one of the great Disney sidekicks. Unlike Goofy or The Genie or Dug the Dog, Olaf just feels manufactured and underwritten. He's also pointless to the rest of the story. He shows up halfway through the movie, sings a song and then has nowhere to go.

That's pretty much the problem with the entire movie. For everything right with the movie – the beautiful wintry landscapes – there is something that goes wrong – all the characters look like a line of Barbie dolls. The music is dull, the characters are ill-defined and, while small children may enjoy it, their parents will be checking their watches.

If I sound a bit cold-hearted, it's only because I know that the quality of the Disney name deserves better. This is a professionally made, but lackluster musical fantasy that needed a better story, better characters and better music. After 70 years of toil and trouble, "Frozen" is all slush.

** (of four)
82 out of 125 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
For the first time in forever a true Disney classic is realized
CarrieJa25 November 2013
When people speak of their favorite Disney movies, the big four of the Renaissance and films of the Golden Age of animation are likely to be mentioned. The past decade has seen Disney movies that were hit or miss. Some considered classics, some forgotten and some close to being classics but not there yet. Frozen changes this dynamic and creates a full fledged classic. Frozen IS not just a classic, it is THE Disney classic of the decade. It could position itself up there with the best of them. Disney returns to its roots with a vengeance. The best animated film of the past few years in my opinion.

The story is heart melting, filled with the pure feeling and heart that has become a staple with the best Disney movies. It is a moving story that has family at its center. It is unpretentious in what it is trying to portray. The comedy hits right on the mark and the action packed adventure and thrilling journey make this a tale with a little bit of everything in the exact right amounts. It is a daring movie that is laugh out loud at the some moments and stunning and provoking at others. All achieved in balance. A true triumph in story telling that proves exactly what Disney does best and again proving that they are back to producing top quality films. This is an affecting human story, one that is significant.

Startling and stunning, beautifully envisioned, emotionally powerful and relevant. Gorgeous visuals, stunning backdrops and intricacies like you have never seen before. The environments, the costumes, the character movements among other things make this film a gigantic step forward. The brilliant voice talents that breath life into this project need to be applauded and then some. The cast consisting of Kristen bell (Veronica Mars) and Idina Menzel(Wicked!)among many others bring winning charm, superior voice acting and magnificent vocals as well as heart to this tale. The sensational wit and humor, the arrays of different personalities, their emotions, their triumphs and falls make them some of the most interesting characters that people can relate to and some of the best i have seen in animation. The cast fully become the characters.

The score and music is perfect. The score is grand. The sound, the texture, the harmony, the melody is in a class of its own. Above and beyond anything attempted by the animation studio in the past decade. I would place the songs up there with those of the 90's movies and 2000's Enchanted. A true all round musical triumph. Songs that will be stuck in your mind and you will be humming them and you won't even know it. And some you will be belting out at the top of your lungs because they are that good. Songs that progress the story and an essential part of it.

So you have meticulously crafted breath taking animation, an affecting tale of the bond of family, romance, hilarious wit and humor courtesy of the characters especially sweet Olaf and heart stopping adventure. A true fairy tale that i would say could very well be The Little Mermaid or The Beauty and The Beast of this generation.

FROZEN has that Disney MAGIC that has been missing for so long and it comes in full force here.
495 out of 822 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Frozen is arguably the worst Disney film ever made. It should be titled "Han's Tale."
Setman42824 March 2014
By "worst Disney movie" I do not mean the worst movie ever made. I hold Disney to a higher standard. So when I saw this film, with all of its hype, I came out of it not only disappointed, but utterly frustrated. This film, save its visuals, does very little right.

So when we think of Disney, we think of a few major plot devices: the predictable romance, the villain who drives the conflict, and the moral that the film presents. Unfortunately this movie fails in all of these regards.

Regarding romance it surprisingly includes it in the tale. I know Disney makes alterations to classic fairy tales, and often adds romance to enliven them, but the Snow Queen is an exception to the rule. The focus of the tale is not on the romantic element, but the mystery of the Snow Queen, and the mysterious mirror that reflects evil in souls. This concept alone is fascinating, but is never portrayed in the movie. When making adaption of the tale (and there have been many attempts, mind you) this element has to be kept in mind.

I'm often a fan of a Disney alteration, but unfortunately, this is not an easy story to adapt. I can see why Walt Disney put the project on hold, and Disney itself did not revive in during the Renaissance. The relationship between Elsa and Anna is poor and often non-existent, considering the parents strangely agree to wipe Anna's memory and thus destroy the relationship between the sisters. Arguably, this upbringing is an unintentional villain in the story.

And regarding the villain, the film should be about Hans. Hans is the most interesting and compassionate character in the film, but they decide to antagonize him for the cliché desire for power. The twist is poorly thought out, because while it is supposed to debunk Disney's banal attempts to incorporate "true love" romance into their films, this was not the film to be doing it. Often times characters will develop a relationship in Disney's films; the only exceptions are Grimm fairy tales in which romance drives the story. We're supposed to hate Hans by film's end, even though he has arguably the worst motivation in Disney history. He has many brothers, and wants to take over a kingdom? I'd say let him, he shows more superior leadership traits than either Anna or Elsa.

Anna and Elsa would be ineffective leaders anyways. Anna delegates power to (arguably better leaders) but still outside of the bloodline (didn't they have a regent or something? There's a time-gap in the film that explains very little of Arendelle). Elsa evades her responsibilities as queen, freezes the kingdom over, and forces her people to the brink of starvation, and they love her in the end? That doesn't make much sense to me. Hans' idea to charge Elsa with treason at least is more justified than anything Anna has to bargain with; Hans is a much stronger character.

The moral is designed to be a feminist sympathy, which fails horribly. It is ironic that in a so-called "feminist" movie that encourages "lesbianism" (in Elsa's case)that the female characters are even worse than in traditional fairy tales. Elsa and Anna are annoying, stupid, and take little accountability for their actions. I suppose the message was supposed to be "love your sibling" and all the fluffy, Disney crap but it seems like last minute drivel. And to make this movie even more unbearable, they have to denigrate the male population, with side villains such as the Duke of Wesselton, who is made to be scrawny, but notoriously crafty politician, sworn to "cheat" the poorly elected leadership. Hell, at least he knows foreign policy and economics. What do Elsa and Anna know about the politics of the kingdom? They were sheltered for fifteen years! If I were the citizens of the kingdom, I'd sure as hell overthrow Elsa and Anna's regime. At least Hans and Wesselton can run a freaking kingdom properly.

All in all, Frozen is lucky the Academy plays to the fancy of whatever's popular and dynastic, as Frozen defeated several films who are probably equally deserving or far succeed it. I have not seen Miyazaki's "The Wind Rises" but I must say his films are probably better and more fascinating than most Disney films (save Hunchback of Notre Dame or The Lion King). Frozen is a terrible movie, and in my opinion, should be giving its academy award to the people who devise better stories than this one.

**EDIT** I have seen Miyazaki's The Wind Rises, and I must say that in about ten minutes (the Earthquake scene) I got a better story and a better display of character than in the whole hour and forty minutes of Frozen. Shame on Disney for making such a shallow movie. I am sure I am not alone in advocating Disney to return its Oscar to Miyazaki, whose film is miles ahead of this pile of ***.
196 out of 317 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I wouldn't watch it again even if I were paid to do it.
floppypoppy626 April 2014
I was so angry after watching this movie that I had to make an IMDb account just to write this review. This is HANDS DOWN the WORST Disney movie I have ever watched. Why is it getting so much praise? Beats me, but it seems that today's moviegoers are extremely easily pleased. I, on the other hand, am embarrassed for Disney for having released such a terrible movie. I am even MORE embarrassed for the Academy Awards which presented this terrible movie with TWO Oscars. Do people even have standards anymore?

The animation for this movie was wonderful (but so is every other Disney movie's), but there was absolutely nothing else about this movie that was enjoyable. The worst part of the movie was the plot twist, which was not only unnecessary, but extremely cynical. Why did the directors feel the need to put down other Disney princesses who fell in love? It's not like they were bad romances. Prince Hans was probably my favorite character (especially after finding out that he was a villain). He was a terrible villain and the twist seemed like it was put in just so that Anna could end up with Kristoff without having to dump Hans. Well, I say, if Hans wants to rule Arendelle, LET HIM. He's a much more caring and compassionate ruler than both Elsa and Anna. The townspeople haven't seen either of them in years and both of them desert the kingdom and leave it in the hands of a stranger, without a second thought. Meanwhile, Hans hands out blankets to the people and treats them kindly. I know if I had been a commoner living in Arendelle, I would've been so disappointed and upset that Elsa and Anna came back.

Speaking of Anna, that girl got on my nerves to no end. What was with the outright awkwardness? I understand having a slightly awkward princess (like Rapunzel) but Anna's character felt forced. I don't know a single person who could relate to her level of awkwardness. Plus, that girl is so boy-crazy, it's absolutely ridiculous. What other Disney princess dates two different men in the course of two or three days? Absolutely disgusting. This is such an accurate reflection of modern society's morals. Disney princess movies are supposed to be FAIRY TALES. Of course, in reality, girls probably aren't going to find their dream guy on their first date, but what's wrong with portraying that ideal in a FAIRY TALE? If Disney is really trying to make their movies imitate real life by creating an evil Prince Charming, then shouldn't they also create a movie about a tone-deaf princess who CAN'T sing? What about an acne-riddled princess? Disney princess movies portray an idealized version of life for kids, which is why they're so enjoyable. Stop being so cynical. Unfortunately, I ended up paying to watch a movie that ended up being about how you shouldn't marry a guy you just met, because that's definitely a moral that we didn't already know (* rolls eyes *). I don't think any person who watched old Disney princess movies ever thought, "Hey, you know, I really think I should marry this person I just met because it worked out so well for Snow White!" The moral about loving your family was sweet, but could have been done without making fun of romantic love.

And, ughhh, the songs. Songs are what Disney movies are known for, yet the songs in this movie ended up being mediocre at best. They were so repetitive. Blah blah blah love. Blah blah blah door. Blah blah blah gate. Blah blah blah anymore. I feel like those words were in every. single. freaking. song. The voice acting, for the most part, was decent. Anna (voiced by Kristen Bell) had a surprisingly princess-like voice. Prince Hans' voice was equally wonderful (if not more so). Unfortunately, Elsa's voice did not match her animated character AT ALL.

//END RANT//
89 out of 139 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Visuals, Unremarkable Script
Helio Copter9 January 2014
First of all, I strongly disagree with any assertions that Frozen hearkens back to the great Disney films of the late 80s and early 90s. The music is nowhere near that level, and the storytelling is not nearly as sharp. Even suggesting that this is the best *since* The Lion King rings false with me. I have not seen every Disney film of the past twenty years, but offhand I can say that Tangled, Bolt and Meet the Robinsons are all far superior examples well-written stories than Frozen. In my personal opinion, of course.

Second of all, Frozen definitely skews towards the younger crowd, with little to none of the sophisticated touches or wittily mature humor that have come to be somewhat more commonplace in recent animated films. This one is aimed at the pre-teen crowd. Not that that is necessarily a bad thing, but it is worth noting.

The overall story is an interesting one, but the execution is rather sloppy and the narrative meanders a bit too much. The dialog, in particular, is not a strength. Unlike the best films, in which every line and every scene feels both essential and perfect, Frozen is more of a loose joyride. Again, there is nothing inherently wrong with that approach, but in my personal estimation, it earns lower marks as a storytelling method.

The songs are for the most part unremarkable, and some of the musical sequences suffer from not fully committing to dialog or singing. They just feel hastily-choreographed and not fully thought out. And do not even get me started on the troll song. Yikes.

Two of the songs, "Do You Want to Build a Snowman" and especially "Let it Go," do work very well. The latter ties into what is unquestionably the best scene in the film on every level. It provides the one glimpse of true majesty, the sort of quality that would explain all of the extremely positive "this is the greatest" reviews that are being posted by others. Unfortunately, the film descends most of the way back into mediocrity after that scene.

On the positive front, however, Frozen offers a fantastic, gorgeous take on the visual elements of winter. Deep blue ice, snowflakes, white mountains contrasting with colored skies. It is an unspeakably lovely display of a subject matter than CGI animation has never (in my experience) turned its energies to before, at least not like this. Of course, it goes without saying that all of the animation in Frozen, characters and landscapes alike, is excellent.

For me, Tangled was much more satisfying than Frozen. I applaud Disney for honing their CGI skills, and for finally adapting The Snow Queen to screen. I just wish that they would have spent more time on the script.

With films like this one, a distinction needs to be made between loving it for the visceral takeaway ("it was sweet"/"it had a great message"/"it made me feel good") and looking at it from a critical standpoint. Now, I understand that one needs to just "forget about being critical" and enjoy a film - for me, the best films take care of that themselves. It is the ones, like Frozen, that seem like they clearly could have been much better, that get me thinking about just that.

This film is a fun one for kids, and great to look at for adults, but it is far short of being great, or a masterpiece. More focus on an truly excellent story, and it might have been.
178 out of 292 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just plain sad
shani_dayo5 September 2015
I have said before, it is difficult to get a good review from Me, sometimes I give movies the benefit of the doubt, but not in this case. Frozen is arguable one of Disney's poorest films, from the laziness with animation, to the awful songs. I feel that the trailer is better than the actual film, and I don't see what the hype is. First of all, the beginning of the film is weak and hardly tells You anything about what You are watching, I mean a song about Ice? Besides this the story is entirely to rushed, and can be confusing at parts because the story is moving so fast without a pause. Now, let Me say something about this soundtrack....Just No....Most of the songs in the movie were pointless, came in randomly, had little to no thought or story, and didn't make Me feel anything but annoyance (Yes, I even thought Let it go was a bad song) Moving on to the Characters, all I can say is what was Disney thinking?! The characters in this movie are way to goofy and hokey for my liking, they don't even act like real people! They are simply nothing more than one-dimensional, cookie cutter, forgettable, and complete disgraces. Half of the characters are not needed in the movie and their roles could have been so much better! None of the characters had a strong personality or something about them that just stuck, they are nothing to rave about, they were all just flat to Me. Despite all of these things the worst part is there was no emotion! There was nothing real about this movie! It's just a pathetic excuse for an entertaining family film, the other thing is the villain is just sorry! Even though this was successful in the box office I would NOT waste my time watching this film again, I wish I hadn't seen it. Also I have to be honest, this is the most irritating film I have seen in a long time. So with that I say please, don't waist Your energy or time on this supposed "movie".
23 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disneys absolute worst in many years
ask sheiken11 January 2014
One of the worst Disney animated movies I can recall seeing. 75% inane songs, way to obvious plot even for Disney. Very, very little humour. Bland characters and just plain below par compared to what Disney and other animation studios have been able to produce in the last 10 years. The usual villains and sidekicks appear but with nothing new to offer.

I could not stop myself from skipping at least a minute from most of the songs. The voice acting was, well, bland is the best word. Absolutely mediocre. I was thoroughly disappointed

Do not by any means pay to watch this and be sure to be in the company of easily amused small children.
227 out of 383 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An astonishing disappointment
rford19129 November 2013
(Spoilers) At one time, sisters Elsa and Anna knew of and loved to utilize Elsa's (unexplained, apparently genetic? even though no one else in her family has them) ice powers. Then an accident and a warning by the (ostensibly) wise troll – that fear will make Elsa's powers dangerous – prompts her parents to fearfully seclude her, shutting her away from everyone and isolating her from her sister. The trolls erase Anna's memory of Elsa's powers. (No one apparently considers the implications of seclusion and terror regarding the power). The girls grow up. After their parents die at sea, Elsa becomes queen. For her coronation, the kingdom is opened. Prince Hans and the Duke of Weselton are among the visiting dignitaries. Anna promptly falls in love with the prince, and agrees to marry him. When the queen refuses to condone her sister's impetuous match, they argue and Elsa accidentally reveals her powers, prompting the Duke to demand that she be arrested. Elsa flees, accidentally shrouding the world in "eternal winter" and leaving in power Anna, who promptly follows after her – appointing Prince Hans to rule in her stead (!!!). Apparently in this world, chains of command, diplomatic decorum, and other such trifles cease to exist. Anna loses her horse, and then teams up with a poor boy named Kristoff and his reindeer Sven. They all end up working with Olaf, a quirky snow creation of Elsa's, to find her sister. A romance blossoms between Kristoff and the fickle Anna. Meanwhile, Elsa has embraced her "bad girl" image (complete with sultry walk/slit up the thigh), building herself a lovely snow palace. The girls talk. Things don't go well, and Anna ends up with "ice in her heart" (which the trolls, long ago, had warned would kill her but for an act of true love). In the meantime, Anna's horse had returned to the city, and Hans and a group of soldiers go looking for her. They arrive just after Anna, Kristoff and co are expelled. Weselton's men attack her, a fight breaks out, etc. Elsa is captured. Kristoff, meanwhile, reveals that he had been adopted by trolls – the same ones, coincidentally, that had offered their advice to her family years before. The trolls explain that only an act of true love can save Anna. Kristoff and Anna race back to Hans, for a Kiss of True Love (TM). Kristoff delivers her and leaves. Hans reveals – gasp – that he has simply been after the throne all this time, and locks her in a room to freeze to death. He then claims to the ruling council that Anna is dead, but that they had been married before she expired (witnesses, marriage certificates and funerals apparently don't exist in this world either)...so that makes him king. They welcome him with open arms. Thankfully, there are no other heirs, distant relatives, or people who remember that they still have a queen alive (!!) around. He (with no explanation) believes he can get Elsa to turn back winter. Meanwhile, Kristoff and Sven are coming back because, true love. Elsa, in her grief at learning of Anna's supposed death, accidentally unleashes a tornado-strength blizzard. Kristoff and Anna are going to kiss, but Anna sees Prince Hans about to murder Elsa. She intervenes, and almost freezes; but, that being an act of true love, she is saved. At this point, Elsa figures out how to recall winter ("Love!" - that's it, no explanation).

Pros: - Pretty. Frozen is very pretty, very glitzy, full of beautiful landscapes, amazing snow shots and glamorous gowns.

• Different. It has a different feel, architecturally and culturally, from many of the preceding princess films, which is nice.

Cons: Pretty much everything else.

• The story was inconsistent. If you read about the series of "development hells" that preceded its release, it makes sense. They had no clue where they were going with this, and it very much felt like it at times: these were different ideas, different takes on the same story, all jumbled together.

• Character immaturity/stupidity. If you, like, can see this being a classic, then, like, whatever, because classic Disney princes and

• Plot idiocy. This ties into the first point. If fear is the enemy, why do you seclude/terrorize the princess with insecurities? How/why does "love" recall winter? Didn't Elsa love her family all along? Wasn't there "love" present all this time? There was zero explanation for how this worked. Just "love". Not to mention the flouting of anything like court customs, diplomacy, etc.: random foreign dignitaries are giving orders to arrest and kill the queen, foreign princes are left in charge of the kingdom, etc. Or the cringe worthiness of the trolls, and their irrelevance to the plot; and the fact that Hans never mentions having witnessed the royal family's first encounter with the trolls/how Anna's memory was wiped (Elsa also ignores this). The list goes on.

• Predictability. The scene where Anna and Hans meet was terribly predictable, and just...terrible. The scene where Anna and Kristoff meet was equally predictable. The betrayal was predictable. The conclusion was predictable despite being completely unexplained.

• Music. The music was of an exceptionally poor caliber in this film. The singers were overpowered by the instruments, the lyrics were indistinguishable, the songs out of place and silly, and often-times just cringe inducing (it's pretty bad when you're cannibalizing themes from your own previous films, like the troll rip-off of Hunchback's "A Guy Like You", and you completely, utterly blow it...)

Little kids will enjoy the prettiness of it all. Anyone who thinks about the plot, though, is going to end up with a headache. Certainly anyone who listens to the music. (And don't get me started on the rape-y Mickey/Minnie/Pete short that preceded the film. Yikes.)
378 out of 655 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
PG 5 or below
Geoffroy De Bondt11 December 2013
!!!Spoilers may lurk ahead!!!

If this movie thought me anything is that if I had a gift or powers I would have to keep them to myself and feel bad about getting them from birth. I would have to live secluded from the rest of mankind, end up socially mangled for life and automatically feel anger towards anyone who didn't get me. I couldn't even use them to do good for crying out loud. If fear is your greatest enemy, meet it head on and control it. How come Disney decided to look the other way.

If you are more then 10 years of age, do not go see this movie. What am I saying, don't let your kids see this story, it will mess with their morals and bore them on top. I did not get how women over 25 liked this flick in the theater. I yawned ... a lot ... for it to end!

Maybe it's just me, but a flimsy storyline is all I need, this had bits and pieces sown together with a snowman. A living object who was the only one having correct views on life.

Even Disney doesn't have it anymore, which freaks me out!!

PS: I got the Lion King ost cd, I would not touch this ost with a 10 foot pole.
113 out of 188 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Frozen – Flawed Masterpiece
merryantoinette10 December 2013
Frozen is a legitimately great film but also a flawed one.

First, let's look at a few flaws, then admire its successes.

Frozen's biggest shortcoming is in not making Elsa, its most interesting character, the main protagonist and main heroine of the movie. As it is, she is a co-protagonist, but Anna is given far more screen time.

Yet Anna's story is nowhere near as interesting as is Elsa's. Where Anna merely seems bored and a little lonely at the beginning, we know that Elsa suffers terribly throughout her young life, in being forced to inhibit her emotions, live with the guilt of nearly killing her sister, and seclude herself, in order to protect Anna from the danger that her magic poses. Yet we barely see Elsa's side of the story.

But when Elsa transforms into the Snow Queen during her Let It Go sequence, that's when we especially wish and expect to see more of her. That feels like a great beginning, a launching point for the character, from which Elsa will go on to have an exciting storyline in her new identity.

But instead, the movie relentlessly keeps us down with Anna on what is a not very original or interesting road trip.

It would be as if, in Beauty and the Beast, the movie spent most of its time not in the Beast's castle, but with Belle and some villager on a road trip to and from the castle (and the castle would lack any magical objects, and Belle and the Beast would never fall in love).

Think of how much poorer a film that would have been, compared to the Beauty and the Beast movie that does exist, in which the very BEST moments are the moments in the Beast's castle and the scenes involving the Beast.

Frozen deprives itself of those very scenes, which would have been the best in the film, for no reason whatsoever.

But one could even forgive Frozen this, if it wasn't hindered by a second missed opportunity: It doesn't give Elsa a love interest, no prince to win her heart, no man to love, who would love her back.

This is baffling and unforgivable. Countless Disney princesses have been given stirring love stories when they didn't particularly need them. But in Elsa, Disney created a character of aching solitude and isolation, one for whom a love story actually would have mattered. It would have been as beautiful and rapturous to see as is the Beast's love story in Beauty and the Beast.

But it didn't.

The ending of the film feels very disappointing for that reason, giving Elsa at best a glass-half-full conclusion, showing Anna (the sister who has suffered less) blessed with both sisterly reconciliation and romantic love, while Elsa's reward for a lifetime of self-sacrifice and pain is...merely survival, and a touch of equilibrium.

On the other hand, the movie does a number of things very well.

It keeps the setting in Scandinavia and populates the story with actual Scandinavians, instead of making Arendelle look demographically like a modern American metropolis.

The animation is breathtakingly beautiful throughout. The depth of attention to detail, incorporating authentic Norwegian culture, is admirable, and one hopes that it might inspire Europeans and European-Americans to better appreciate their own heritages.

Making Elsa the heroine of the story rather than the villain was truly inspired. This is the film's one, true claim to greatness. In fact, throughout the movie, Elsa is actually the moral center of the story. Every one of her actions is selfless and noble, even as other characters make morally questionable choices. Added to that, she is traditionally feminine in appearance and demeanor, so this film redeems such essential feminine qualities (which are otherwise often vilified or erased in modern culture) by giving them to its most popular character.

Even more subversively, at many points in the story, the roles of the sisters reverse and it is actually Anna who becomes the antagonist to Elsa (as Elsa never is).

Anna is the one who causes the accident in the girls' youth by goading Elsa into playing the game and not stopping when Elsa told her to do so.

Anna takes Elsa's glove and refuses to give it back at a state function, throwing a tantrum in the middle of an important diplomatic affair, selfishly thinking only about her own wishes instead of how she is humiliating Arendelle itself. (It would be like the brother of the U.S. President throwing a tantrum toward the President on Inauguration Day.) And when Elsa tells Anna to leave the ice palace, Anna stubbornly refuses, agitating Elsa and causing the blast of magic.

Time and again, Anna is Elsa's antagonist, a situation that only changes at the end of the film, when Anna finally makes a selfless act – the kind of selfless act that Elsa has been making her whole life, in sacrificing her happiness for the safety and well-being of others. Finally, at the end, Anna learns the lesson that Elsa's example has provided to her.

Beyond that, the Hans twist is unnecessary, and the scene of his turn is incongruously melodramatic, his monologuing almost self-parodic.

Nevertheless, Elsa's "Let It Go" sequence is among the finest moments ever created in Disney history, and as a whole, the film is visually breathtaking.

Frozen is a magnificent move even as it is, but with a re-emphasis on its most captivating character, Elsa, it could have been a true masterpiece.
199 out of 344 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What's the hype over this movie? I don't get it.
kimhaeun51924 January 2014
Frozen...was a disappointment. :( and this is coming from a huge Disney geek. The reasons? 1. fails to explain how Elsa got those unique powers in the first place. 2. the parents death was a joke. so easy, and just put there as a necessary transition for future plot sake. 3. despite the fresh theme and sheer potential with snow and ice elements, there wasn't enough visual satisfaction. 4. it seemed like the movie worked with limited funding. the background scenes were so minimal! they could have done so much more with snow, the interior of the castle, the kingdom, the clothes, the mountain, etc 5. would have been better to see how Kristoff grew up with the trolls

Disney movies are usually very complex, with deep character development and messages. also visually sensational. Frozen fails to meet par.

Shows how hard it is to produce a classic, especially when its Disney trying to outdo Disney.
76 out of 124 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disney's Best in 20 years.
fyeroledezma24 November 2013
A lot of people criticize Frozen for what it isn't. Their preferred setting, cast, etc. Not for what it is. It is an incredibly touching story with fantastic music, score, script and performances by Menzel and Bell we haven't heard in a long time. I took 117 nieces and nephews ages 18 months to 14 and not once did any of them get up to ' go to the bathroom' or get more snacks. Boys, girls were both drawn to the film the whole time. The younger kids responded more to Olaf than the thematics of it all.

The story centers more on the sisters relationship than a romantic one and has a great message. I would recommend this to any family or Disney fan.

You will be singing the songs over and over.
429 out of 767 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty bad...
Sarah Ford29 November 2013
This is one of the worst movies of the entire season! The storyline was not well-thought out. Considering they shelved the project multiple times and only picked it up again after the success of Tangled, they should have shelved it again until they further thought out the storyline! Frozen's singers don't cut it. I don't mind pop singers like in Tangled, Princess Frog and Brave, but these ones were just bad! You literally struggle to hear them over the instruments that are playing during the songs they sing. During some songs, it sounds as if the singers sometimes practically give up on singing altogether and just shout. There's a duet of the sisters in particular that I'm referring to (For The First Time in Forever (Reprise)). The animation and audio quality did not match the songs. This is most evident in the song Let It Go. The words don't match the lip movement, and the audio sounds out of place.

*****WARNING!!! SPOILERS!!!******** Due to Elsa's inability to properly harness her powers, she nearly kills her little sister. The king and queen take both sisters to some wise trolls who heal the little girl and then warn the parents that the powers will grow. They tell them that if she doesn't learn to control them, there will be grave consequences. The trolls then explain that fear will be her enemy. It can hinder her ability to cope with these powers. These wise and caring parents come to the brilliant conclusion that it's a good idea to completely seclude the princess from everyone. Of course it never occurred to them that this might cause her to be more fearful than ever.. They even seal off the castle. Then they leave the two fearful, confused children on their own (with no precautionary measures in place to help the cursed princess should they perish) while they go on a little cruise… and drown. This absurdity continues with Elsa (the ice queen) accidentally revealing her powers in front of a foreign dignitary from a small kingdom who then orders her soldiers to arrest their own queen. I mean, do I really need to explain how stupid that is? The young princess then searches for her fleeing sister and leaves the kingdom in the charge of a young prince she has a crush on… rather than a trusted aid or prime minster or any other sort of government official. After a typical Disney "love conquers all" moment, the curse of eternal winter (the winter was inexplicably determined to be eternal after about one night) is lifted by the ice queen who before was unable to remove it. How? They don't really explain. They merely have her exclaim, "Of course! Love!" That makes no sense of course because she always loved her kingdom and her sister. If love is the cure then it would have never happened in the first place. Whatever.

Now my biggest complaint. The way women (and the ice queen in particular) were portrayed. There were only four women that had any prominence throughout the movie. Number one: the ice queen's mother. Remember those really stupid parents I talked about earlier? She was one of them. And it was the father who did the talking, who spent the intimate moments with both the children, etc. She might as well not have been there. There's the troll mother who embarrasses her son and generally acts like a hare-brain. Then there are the two sisters Anna the princess and Elsa the ice queen. Anna is a ditz who falls in love with- and determines to marry- a guy she's only known for a few hours. Elsa is a strong girl… who's actually highly emotional and perpetually frightened like a mouse. But don't worry. She later turns against the way she was raised and determines to stop being a good girl. She then proceeds to walk down the hall like a Victoria's Secret model with a large slit in her dress deliberately placed to show as much leg as possible. Nearly all other women shown are intentionally made to be fat and unattractive. So what can we gather from this? Women are mostly undesirable, and those that are desirable are only desirable for their bodies… or raising your kids. Do you remember Beauty and the Beast? I remember Belle for being brilliant, beautiful, and brave. But hey, Anna and Elsa are both beautiful. One out of three ain't bad, eh? *face palm*

The trolls were predictable and uninspired. The way the characters talked, in this, like, totally, like modern teen, like way, was like, yea…not cool.

All in all, 1/10 stars. They should have shelved it until they had worked out their story more instead of releasing it prematurely to make a quick buck!
166 out of 289 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Is this movie really necessary?
Alondra22 February 2014
I have a couple of issues with the messages in this movie.

The music The plot holes The execution of the ''True Love''

OK. This movie to me is very overrated along with its ''Let it Go'' theme song. What happened to Disney after the 90s? None of the songs are that great the way there hyped up to be. No way does the music measure up to, The Lion King, Beauty and The Beast, Aladdin, The Little Mermaid etc etc.

The day Anna is able to go outside the castle, she falls in love with Hans ,some prince she bumped into. Long story short, She asks for Elsas blessing to get married to Hans. Elsa says no '' You can't just get married to some guy you just met''. AH here we go with the feminist fantasy. The entire movie is full of mocking love at first sight. Why? Princess stories that have love at first sight in them aren't as evil as people think. Their Fairy tales. There called make believe stories for a reason. Not to be taken so seriously like a woman's whole life depends on it. (Because Cinderella is the reason Miley Cyrus turned out the way she did). Later on in the movie Anna gets hurt by Elsa and the only way to save Anna is with the power of true love. Everyone in the movie thinks '' OK so that means go get Hans so Anna and him can kiss and save Anna from her death'' the plot goes on to make Hans a villain. Because a Prince Charming can actually be a bad guy ladies. Hans true motives all along were to take over Elsas throne and kingdom for himself using Anna. He tries to kill both Anna and Elsa to fulfill his master-plan. It doesn't work out, Anna saved the day by stopping the blow of his sword before it reached Elsa. So shes saved from being a ice sculpture forever with Elsas love, Anna sacrificed herself for Elsa instead of kissing Kristoff. (This other love interest).

Past princess movies like Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs, Sleeping beauty, both needed a True loves kiss in order to break their curses. So why make so much fun about it? The Evil Queen and Maleficent specifically said that the only way to break there curses, was by TRUE LOVES KISS. The end. So for everyone making fun, go back and re-watch the movies. It wasn't the princesses fault they were cursed or that the only way for there curses to be broken was through a kiss.

This is what I can't stand the most out of this movie. It pretty much put down falling in love at first sight and true loves kiss saves the day, while putting itself on top. Couldn't the movie be done without all the feminist preaching? ''True love is between family not some guy you just met a few hours ago, Prince charming can really be just a bad guy. You should focus on you relationship with your family instead of being a lovesick girl devoting you time to a guy.'' Oh my how realistic and reassuring.

Is this movie suppose to be aimed at drunk tourist at Las Vegas? Who gets married after a few hours of meeting someone in real life? Of course you have to date for a while before even uttering the word love. Women and men alike know this. We aren't that clueless and dense. In the real world I actually have to work and go to college. Unlike Anna and Elsa... talk about a reality check. Princesses are usually privileged. Being daughters of Kings and Queens. Or their women who marry princes. Either way you look at it 99% of the female population naturally doesn't fit in. Does it make it such a bad thing? No. Fairy tales are just that. And we simpletons know this. Hell... people have sex before love. Live together for years and still look at each other wondering if they want to spend the rest of their lives with that person.

Lets get over being cynical with the old school princess stories and enjoy them for what they were.
72 out of 119 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I like it, but apparently not as much as most folks.
MartinHafer9 January 2014
Currently, "Frozen" has a very high IMDb score of 8.1. I was actually surprised by this, as I did enjoy the film but though it had some plot problems that prevented it from being among Disney's best in recent years. Apparently, other folks don't agree with me.

The film is supposedly based on Han Christian Andersen's story "The Snow Queen", however little of the finished film seems to be related to this story...very little. This isn't really a criticism--I am just trying to clarify the film a bit.

The story is about two sisters--one who eventually becomes queen and one who is her younger sister, a princess. However, the Queen, Elsa (Idina Menzel), has a huge problem that is never really explained in the film--she has magical powers to make things frozen as well as to create snow. While this seems great, it's also a dangerous power and one she cannot fully control--and she COULD accidentally kill someone. Once she becomes queen, the power is exposed--and she disappears into the mountains to live life apart from others.

The younger sister, Anna (Kristen Bell), decides to do what any responsible lady would do in this situation--abandon her kingdom and give control of it to an almost complete stranger! Why she didn't just send some of her people out to find Elsa is beyond me. Regardless, along the way she meets a guy who is to become an obvious love interest and together they seek out Elsa and try to bring her back to the kingdom. After all, since Elsa's departure, the place has been bathed in perpetual winter!

The film is glorious to watch--particularly on the big screen. The CGI is absolutely lovely as are the character designs. However, it's a film that looks great but whose story is less than stellar. Part of it is because the characters sometimes do inexplicable things (mentioned above), part of it is because parts of the plot are missing (such as explaining how everyone LOVED the interim leader yet hated him later--after he'd actually done a good job in regard to the people as well as why everyone suddenly hated the guy from Weaseltown) and part of it is because there were too many distractions when the main thrust SHOULD have been the relationship between the sisters (the reindeer and guys got in the way). Still, it is worth seeing--especially if you don't spend too much time thinking through the plot. Plus, many might enjoy the more Broadway style of the music, as Idina Menzel really pours it on when she sings (as do the rest, though she clearly overshadows them with her magnificent singing).
68 out of 112 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Some People take things WAY too seriously!
calgal8410 August 2014
This is really a lovely, enjoyable cartoon. And it's just that a lovely, enjoyable cartoon. And basically a fairy tale. One that moms and dads can feel happy to take their children too. Let it be that. Is there anything truly remarkable about it? Probably not. Are the songs particularly inventive or that much different from all the countless other Disney movies? No, not really, but they are catchy and pretty and fit the movie. And the "In Summer" song with the snow man in summer is pretty cute, if not a little jarringly placed! But, catchy.

Having said that, some people on these reviews are taking this way too seriously. Why would you give it one star just because other people liked it enough to give it a 10? Is that too show how much smarter you are than everyone else? It really shows nothing but taking a carton movie too seriously instead of just going with the flow. It's not real. It's not a real story. It's a cartoon fairy tale.

I give it an 8. It's not perfect but I enjoyed it.
52 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Practically magical in every way!
sadie-harring25 November 2013
This is a huge movie, seriously huge. You can tell the Disney animation studio really put mountains of effort and it shows they're firing from all cylinders now. Music and awesome sisterhood story separate this from many animation offerings of the past. Also the computer generated animation is really cool, pun intended. The quality is top. I have a sister and so i felt this deep connection to this feature. I won't lie i was moved to tears. I ended up visiting my sis and giving her a huge hug which totally caught her off guard. I am really happy to see a movie that can connect worldwide and with something so simple and profound and that is sibling bond and its special quality is demonstrated really amazingly and with a lot of tenderness. I have been singing part of your world and reflection for years and i feel that let it go and most songs i will be singing for years to come. It was new and yet nostalgic and took me back to my childhood years and recreated the spirit of the movies i adored tenfold. It has something for everyone and that is why i loved it so much. Everything from action and romance and comedy and fantasy and not forgetting the tears. Many movies from Disney are always uplifting and this one was even more so and that made this a very special experience.
296 out of 537 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hyped for the wrong reasons
Michael Snow5 December 2015
Strong female leads are nowadays more desirable than they ever have been. Frozen capitalizes on this as strongly as possible, but fails at almost every turn. Their attempt at showing a more platonic love story is misguided and blunt with it's delivery. The story is full of plot holes and strange plot devices that make little to no sense within the context. The relationships feel forced and the message of the movie feels completely benign. Albeit, I am writing this from a 22 year old male's perspective, but having grown up with Disney movies and after the sheer gold that was Tangled, I have certain standards.

Instead of going on a long winded explanation as to my complaints with this movie, I'm going to summarize in a numbered list instead. Here are the 6 biggest problems with Frozen.

6. Elsa is boring. Aside from the brief moment with her as a child, we only see one emotion from Elsa for the entire film, worry. Her character is completely one dimensional and frankly, really disappointing. After seeing her smiling face on everything from cups to buses to billboards, I expected her to be some sort of revolutionary new character, the Ice Queen! But no. Not really no.

5: It tries and fails to replicate the chemistry between Flynn and Rapunzel with Kristoff and Anna. My favorite exchange between the two was whilst they were under attack by the wolves and hearing the sheer disbelief in Kristoff's voice, but it all goes downhill from there.

4. The songs are lazy. Let it Go feels as if the sequence was made before the rest of the movie was even written and then had to be fit in somehow. The song itself is very nice, but nowhere near what the hype train had me believe. The lyrics to Fixer Upper are horrible, but I'll be getting to that later. The rest are just forgettable really.

3. Olaf. Granted he did add an edge of humor back to this dull story, I couldn't shake the comparison to another horrible side character made for comedic purposes; Jar Jar Binks. Both suffer from having the entirety of the movie's humor lumped on them like some unwanted burden and both have a bad habit of completely derailing the immersion of the story and snapping the viewer back into a state of disbelief at their very existence. (Also, it was never explained how he came to life. That in itself was annoying.)

2. The Trolls. My reaction to these annoying, strange, out of place little creatures could be summed up in one common acronym, wtf. Unexplained, unnecessary, undesirable and just plain unintelligent in both sound and design. They are apparently love experts? The 'Fixer Upper' song was horrifyingly bad and essentially tried to bypass the chemistry of Kristoff and Anna's relationship with one big push. They simply didn't fit the world, there was no explanation as to why Kristoff was friends with them OR how the elder somehow knew how to help Anna, they were just tiny, terrible plot devices.

1. The message/revelation. Surprise! Platonic love is a kind of love! Did the movie REALLY need to be so heavy handed about this? Elsa was protecting Anna the entire movie because she loved her, so this apparent epiphany shouldn't have even been a thing. Sure, little girls everywhere apparently learned a lesson, but it was such an underwhelming resolution to the film that I was left walking away with that feeling.

Overall, I can see the power this might have for young girls, but that is all the power it has. Kristoff's character was underdeveloped and Hans' (despite his decent motive) was a strange plot twist, but far from the worst thing in the movie. I would recommend this only for the most die hard of Disney fans or those particularly fond of sister-centric plots. For a real example of a good modern Disney film, see Tangled.
19 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I can't wait to see it again!
hesslop3926 November 2013
The last time Disney adapted a Hans Christian Anderson fairy tale, we got one of my favorite films, The Little Mermaid. Now, we have a movie that has very much the same feel as Mermaid. Frozen feels like it could fit right in with the Disney movies of the late 80's/early 90's, like The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King. The music is great, and I left singing it; the lead characters are very likable, with memorable sidekicks; and there are even surprises, things you would never expect to see in a Disney animated film! This is my favorite movie of the year so far, and may even be my favorite movie in years. I highly recommend this one!
254 out of 472 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Passable Disney movie, way over-hyped
Jozef2 March 2014
Watching frozen before all the hype would probably have been a more enjoyable experience. Sadly, I have missed it when it went out in cinemas.

Compared to other Disney movies, especially the recent ones like Rapuntzel and Princess and the Frog, Frozen comes out as a disappointment. I would go as far as say that the message this film passes to children is actually bad.

Elsa, for example, takes only one decision by herself and that is to run away from all of her problems. She completely disregards the fact that she put every other living being in the kingdom in danger. She only snaps out of it when she discovers the proverbial 'force of love' by act of providence.

Anna, on the other hand, makes a series of very bad decisions and survives only by a miracle. (e.g.: walking out in blizzard in summer clothes or leaving the whole kingdom in hands of a stranger she just met).

Songs are extremely repetitive with one exception of 'Let it go'.

I really hope the next Disney classic will be a more enjoyable experience.
31 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointed Disney Geek
sally girl2 May 2014
These people giving it a 10/10 and calling it "The Best Disney Movie Ever" have clearly never seen older Disney movies. If they had, they would know that this movie pales in comparison to the majority of Disney's animated movies. This whole movie has become so overrated that it has become a sort of cult. It is quite surprising that such a dull movie has managed to accomplish such a feat. That being said, before you label me as someone who gave a low rating because they're "too old for Disney", I'd like to say that I still enjoyed many of the recent Disney films, like The Princess and The Frog, Tangled and Wreck-It-Ralph. If you're a true Disney fan, you will find that this movie cannot hold a candle to Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, Mulan, Cinderella, Pocahontas, Sleeping Beauty, or Snow White. Similarly, the more recent movies, like The Princess and The Frog and Tangled, were both much more enjoyable than Frozen.

It saddens me to see Disney release such a low-quality movie. Don't get me wrong; the animation was great, but nowhere near as breathtaking as that of Tangled or Brave. Then, beneath the pretty animation, there is absolutely no substance. The plot was very poorly thought out and even contradictory at times. One of my biggest issues with the plot was that a problem that had been building up since the beginning of the movie was solved in less than two minutes and the audience went from feeling overly anxious to relieved, but very confused. The resolution was so weak and anti-climatic that I was left to wonder, if the problem was so easily solved, why did the characters waste 15+ years trying to solve it and, more importantly, why did I just waste 2 hours watching this?

All of the songs- yes, this includes Let It Go- are sub-par; some are even downright atrocious. Furthermore, the voice acting could definitely have been better. Disney movies are typically made to appeal to people of all ages, not exclusively to kids. However, this movie broke the tradition. The jokes are very straightforward and clearly directed at very young children (as if they would not be able to understand any other type of humor…). To give you a taste of the humor in Frozen, one of the jokes made by Olaf the snowman (the comic relief character) was, "I don't have a skull…or bones". I really fail to see the humor in such insipid "jokes". The sidekicks in the movie are very annoying, especially the trolls and Olaf. Even the main characters, like Anna, Kristoff, and Elsa, got on my nerves at times. Anna is too awkward to be remotely relatable or realistic, Kristoff seems more like a woman- stealer than anything else, and Elsa is very selfish at times. Sven is probably my favorite character in the entire movie since he's the only one who doesn't talk.

Anyways, if you're looking for the depth and complexity that old Disney movies possess, you should probably look elsewhere as you will be very disappointed in this movie. However, if you're just looking for a lifeless, glitzy animation to pass the time, then by all means, go watch it. Growing up in the era of the Disney Renaissance, I belong to the first group of people, so I rate this movie a 1/10. Sure, good animation is nice but I didn't buy a movie ticket to just stare at graphics. Lovable characters, memorable music, and an interesting plot are what usually set Disney movies apart from others, and Frozen just didn't satisfy any of those requirements. This movie was very disappointing, to say the least.
41 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My issues with Frozen.
Caspid2 January 2014
• Idina Menzel was miscast. Her speaking voice was almost acceptable, but singing-wise, it didn't suit Elsa at all.

• It's not okay to fall in love after one day, but two is okay? • Elsa was extremely one-dimensional. Despite being the most interesting character, she is deprived of screen time and development.

• The story was overly simplistic - not at all deep and multi-tiered like Wreck-it Ralph.

• The Hans twist was underwhelming and unnecessary. The story lacked a good villain. It was also rather predictable.

• Too much of the movie is spent road-tripping to Elsa's ice castle in a rather trite manner. The most interesting parts seemed rushed, especially the ending, which was anticlimactic and unsatisfying.

• Anna was the same character the entire movie except for her realization of love's definition, which she had always embodied. Everything she did in the movie was out of love. She shouldn't've been susceptible to being frozen, because metaphorically, it makes no sense. Elsa was the one with the frozen heart. I half-expected Anna to have summer powers or something.

• Elsa had the world at her fingertips, and created an entire ice castle out of nothing, and yet she struggles to stay alive against dudes with wooden crossbows and her own falling chandelier. Impenetrable ice cage, done. Also, you'd think being alone in that castle with nothing else to do, she'd've learned to control her powers better.

• The trolls had no recollection of Anna. Neither did Olaf.

• The visuals were a little cold and lifeless and too computer-y; not nearly as breathtaking as Tangled's lush, painterly animations and sceneries. It feels like a lot more work went into Tangled, whereas Frozen was merely a mini-story.

• The movie as a whole didn't feel as fully fleshed-out as Tangled in terms of characters and plot, despite being the same length. It would've been much more satisfying if it were given an extra 20-30 minutes.

• "It's easier to change your head than your heart." First of all, I dislike the false dichotomy between head and heart; they're one and the same, and it's nonsensical correlate them to the actual physical components. If the head is taken to mean reason, and the heart means emotion, then the latter should be more volatile.

Overall, it's a fun trip with great songs and likable characters; I only wish they had spent more time weaving the story, capitalized on their strengths, and not missed some great opportunities.
37 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
HIGHLY overrated, has a weak plot, and many inconsistencies
abhinav-s18 March 2014
This is most definitely not Disney at its finest. I can take an educated guess and say that people claimed this is a fantastic movie because of the song "Let it go". I saw the song "Let it go" on Youtube before I saw the actual movie and I was amazed with the animations and the song in general. I connected that to the movie being amazing, but trust me, it is FAR from amazing.

The movie begins with Elsa and her sister Anna playing in the castle, with Elsa using her supposedly cursed ice powers. Why exactly is it a curse? Disney neglected to provide an explanation. Elsa hurts Anna and this causes Anna to be taken to some trolls whose cure her. I guess humans wouldn't suffice because of the whole magic-cure scenario. The trolls then tell Elsa that her 'dark' powers will grow and that if Elsa cannot control the powers, she will be a threat to all around her. Elsa's parents (who, by the way, are the most idiotic parents I have ever seen) tell the trolls that Elsa won't harm anyone and then proceed to seclude Elsa from human contact(after wiping out Anna's memory of Elsa's powers).

After secluding Elsa from everyone, her parents tell her they are going on a cruise and leaving she and Anna alone inside the castle (they are still quite young) with no other family to take care of them. Not only have Elsa's parents pretty much told Elsa that she is a monster and must be contained, but they abandon her and die. This leads to Elsa isolating herself further and leaving her little sister to cope with the loss of their parents alone.

Coronation day! I have no idea who was running the kingdom after her parents died because it has been quite some time before Elsa is old enough to become queen. Perhaps politics was paused while Elsa was growing up. During the party, Anna meets some prince from some random country and they have that 'fall in love at first sight' moment and decide to get married...come on, seriously? Elsa, of course, declines to give her blessing and Anna decides to yell at her in front of everyone. This causes Elsa to become afraid and anxious, leading her to reveal her powers to the town and subsequently running away from her own kingdom after some random foreign guy tells gives the order to capture the queen. What the *bleep*?

Elsa runs away, and her sister starts giving orders. Since when can princesses give orders on behalf of the queen? Here is where the song "Let it go" is played, and Elsa decides to stop being afraid of herself and makes an ice palace, a supermodel dress, and eternal winter using her powers. When Anna finally reaches the ice palace with Kristoff (a guy who was placed so obviously to be the love interest), Anna confronts Elsa and Elsa decides to become afraid again. Didn't she moments ago in the song decree herself to be fearless and not care what anyone thinks? She unleashes her powers and hurts her sister out of fear.

Finally, when Hans (the random foreign guy whom Anna left in charge of Elsa's kingdom, again, what the *bleep*?) arrives to capture Elsa, a fight ensues and Elsa is captured and taken back to her kingdom. Anna, who at this point is near death because of Elsa's attack, is told by Hans he was merely faking the love (WAY TOO predictable) for the throne and leaves her to die. Some snowman guy comes in and frees Anna and Anna decides she needs to kiss Kristoff to save herself (the really obvious love interest) because he is her true love.

We then are shown Elsa freeing herself from captivity and creating a super blizzard. Hans, who is pursuing to kill her, stops her by proclaiming that Anna is dead. Elsa momentarily ceases the super blizzard and falls to the ground. Anna, who sees Hans about the kill Elsa, realizes she would rather die for her sister than save herself (but she is a selfless character, so makes sense). She runs up to Hans and turns into solid ice, destroying Hans sword and forcing him to the ground. Elsa turns around and sees her sister frozen and starts crying. Because this was supposedly an act of true love, Anna is freed from death. Elsa then says "You sacrificed yourself to save me?" WHAT THE HELL? If you knew he was going to kill you, your ice powers would have protected you anyway like they did during that fight in the palace. I guess they wanted to keep it from being the cliché 'guy kisses girl to save the girl' scene.

After Anna is freed, Elsa realizes love is the answer to control her powers. Now here is what I really don't understand. Did Elsa hate her sister, her parents, her kingdom? I thought she was isolating her sister to protect her (an act of extremely selfish love, but still love). Why is love suddenly the answer if it was there all along? Weak. This is followed by the 'And everyone lived happily ever after' ending.

The movie felt incoherent throughout. Elsa proclaims that love is the answer to control her powers even though it was there all along. Elsa knew Hans was about to attack her, but says to Anna "you sacrificed yourself to save me?" even though her ice powers would have defended her. The movie constantly sends mixed messages that are inexplicable and confusing. Characters like Kristoff and the Snowman and random songs (except "Let it go") were just thrown in to extend the time . The entire story is basically about Elsa's insecurities and Anna. The movie was at best average, but this was certainly not Disney at their prime. That honour belongs to Finding Nemo.
31 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.