Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (2017) Poster

A Most Enjoyable Film Which Endlessly Pulls at the Corners of Your Face
Her-Excellency7 April 2018
Who would have thought that the sequel to a much-loved classic would, in my opinion, turn into such a stand-alone powerhouse!?!

Jumanji Welcome to the Jungle, does just that.

Not only is it a virtual non-stop ride of hilarity and laugh-out-loud moments, and it is, but the chemistry among the adult cast members is practically flawless and lends to the easy banter and overflowing, genius, COMEDIC DIALOGUE which just SHINES. Every look, every gesture, every note from The Rock, Kevin Hart and Jack Black are perfection in that at no time do you doubt they are who they are supposed to be. Karen Gillan is adorable and gorgeous at the same time. The obvious fun they are having, despite what I imagine to be uncomfortable filming locales, is palpable, and as an audience member, _if you allow yourself to be_, you WILL be swept up and transported by it.

So, why ANY low ratings?

While the first Jumanji was 'fun', underneath the fun, there were dark layers. There is none of that here and perhaps, this is where some of the disconnect from its detractors comes from. Unlike the original Jumanji, Jumanji Welcome to the Jungle is a fun, and funny, film throughout.

In closing, quite to the contrary of what a couple of reviewers are saying about Robin Williams, such as: 'he'd be rolling over in his grave (over this movie)', Robin Williams was one of those rare and amazingly special individuals who found joy and humor in most everything, and who chose to share that with those of us who are lucky enough to be witness to some of the favorites he left behind. Personally, I find it in very bad taste and verging on offensive, that those who seem to not share the capacity to laugh or live the way he did, or the ability to laugh with the rest of us, and who lack the gift of both being able to give or receive the very humor which exuded from Mr. Williams, would dare say he would be doing anything other than laughing riotously while munching on some popcorn and watching this film.

Thank you, Robin Williams, for the precursor which was so fantastic, it brought about an equally wonderful sequel.

You are missed.
122 out of 159 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You're Going to Need a SEATBELT
ThmellyAthole8 April 2018
I used to have an IMDB account when I was a teen - or at least thought I did, but couldn't log on. In any case, I think I've visited here maybe twice in the last five years. Today though, after just getting back from watching this with my almost-grown kids, I had to make an account just to leave this review.

To begin, I'll never understand people. I can't believe the negative reviews. How could anyone not have laughed like hell while watching this and still have a pulse? I didn't go in expecting much, but I came out with a smile on my face. The girl is hot, Jack Black "owns it", I've never been overly enthused about Kevin Hart, but he was fantastic. and The Rock just knocked it out of the park.

I saw one review which reads: "not a wrestling fan ever so to see 'the rock' in movies, instantly puts me off!" Does anyone else want to vomit at the inanity, irony and ludicrousness of that statement? Then you have the user who out of 40+ titles he/she has reviewed in the past has only ever rated TWO above three stars. Seriously, if you don't enjoy films and find them so terrible, find a new hobby already. You've got one guy saying the shirt one of the kids wore was outdated. So, I'm guessing one can only wear clothing depicting the current year? Then you have the reviewers who maybe didn't understand the dialogue since they can barely communicate correctly themselves (such gems - I kid you not - as: 'averege'; 'what so ever'; 'family fair' (fare); 'are just wasn't'; 'due to it has'; 'all of there' {their); 'coz it is boring story'; 'no compare with'). Finally, you have the maybe half dozen reviewers who are so caught up in their bigotry that they can't relax and enjoy a film if it isn't whitewashed and who complain about the "Hollywood liberal agenda of diversity". Leave the politics at the door, man. In short, Jumanji Welcome to the Jungle was a fantastic hour or more of rip-riding fun and laughs.

Except for one very funny moment, Dwayne Johnson retires his wrestling persona for this film and instead, provides a smoldering and intense performance, riddled with good-natured hilarity as the lead in this film. Gillan was great in Doctor Who, and although I thought she was the weakest of both characters and actors in this film, she still held her own and looked fantastic doing so. She has one of those faces you can't help but love. Kevin Hart was fantastic as the diminutive valet and looking back, I think he was somehow involved in every funny moment in which I laughed the hardest. Finally, the master, the maestro (though I never really was a fan prior to this), Jack Black plays the teen beauty queen with 100% commitment and to perfection.

10/10 and definitely a film I will be purchasing right after I click "Submit". You can never have enough laughter in life, and Jumanji, Welcome to the Jungle delivers barrels-full.
66 out of 95 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well done
Jack_C_24 December 2017
We were pleasantly surprised with the quality of this remake. The jokes are nonstop and witty. Characters are well fleshed out with each person playing a physical opposite of their persona outside of Jumanji. A little homage is paid to Alan Parrish at the beginning of the movie, and the movie continues, 20 years after the events of 1996.

The Rock is always fun, but shines as a scared nerd with no confidence. Karen Gillan is adorable as the socially awkward nerdy girl. Jack Black playing a self obsessed popular girl is laugh out loud funny. Kevin Hart as a shrunken jock with many assigned weaknesses is classic.

All in all a nearly perfect family comedy that rises above lowest common denominator humor. Worth the trip to see it on the big screen. You do not have to see the original to appreciate it. Not quite 10 stars because adult re-watch value is just not there.
155 out of 242 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just plain Fun!
dontpanik9 December 2017
We went to see this as part of the early screening for Amazon Prime members. I always worry that all the funniest parts of a movie are spoiled in the trailer leaving nothing left in the film. That isn't the case. I was either smiling or laughing the entire movie, as was the rest of the theater. Is it Citizen Kane? No. Was I going to the theater wanting to watch a drama that delved deep into the characters' lives? No, again.

Our 4 heroes are sent to detention where they discover and are consequently sucked into Jumanji. They become the avatars they chose for the game and must complete the object of the game without using up all their lives. They have to work together, as a team. It is so much fun. It's predictable, funny, cute and the most important, entertaining. The actors are great in it, including a few cameos that were unexpected.

The humor isn't too crude, but still slapstick-y and funny. It was along the vein of Shrek, Rat Race, or Clue. Again, if you're looking for deep and can't stand watching a movie without questioning everything, skip this one. This is one of those movies I'll be buying just so I can put it on and laugh.
174 out of 280 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Way beyond expectations!
mathijsschaap6 January 2018
We went to see this movie today with the kids, and MAN: I had a blast! I expected it to be a nice movie, but I was so surprised by every single minute.

Jack Black is at his best in this kind of comedic roles. He's hilarious in this one too. Dwayne Johnson and the rest also give a very entertaining performance.

It is so much fun: I cannot stop talking about it!

I did have to force myself to stop thinking about Robin Williams, for emotional reasons. This movie is a great tribute to Robin.

Yes, it does have some continuity problems with the Robin Williams movie, but it's forgivable. The movie is full of action, good humor and special effects you'd wish they had back in 1995 with the first movie.'

Go see it!
52 out of 81 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
BETTER than the ORIGINAL BY FAR!!! Loved it.
MajorMAlice13 March 2018
I would say I gave it a 10 to balance out the bobo-heads with no funny-bone in their body's low scores, but no; this movie deserves a 10 and more.

Jumanji Welcome to the Jungle is a stand-alone, HILARIOUS romp which leaves the original in the dust. Heck, HILARIOUS IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT. Note that this is not to say that the original Jumanji was bad. On the contrary, it was great, especially for when it was filmed and who better than SIR Robin Williams, but in terms of laugh-out-loud good fun and non-stop smiles, this Jumanji far outpaces and outdoes the original.

While my BF and I have somewhat different tastes in movies, and he is not a Rock fan (he loved him as a wrestler, not so much as an actor), we both laughed SO MUCH while watching this. The Rock knocks it out of the park with equally stellar performances by Jack Black and Kevin Hart. What is even more fabulous is that it has kids humor, yes, but also 'thinking-people's humor' in the form of obscure little tidbits which are dropped here and there and keep you on your toes and grinning ear-to-ear. There is hardly any scene where you step out of the roller coaster ride of fun it sets you on from the moment they (and you) are IN Jumanji.

Do yourself a favor. Watch this, and if you don't laugh raucously at LEAST six times, seriously, consider what else might be wrong. In fact, if you read through some of the negative comments, you see the same old, bored, stagnant people complaining about it being "too PC", AND BLAH, BLAH, BLAH. Cry me a river. If you notice these people's other reviews, it is easy to see that anything that they consider too scary (read: progressive) to fit in the mold of their little minds and world, automatically gets relegated to the 1/10 pile. Shame.

In closing, this Jumanji gained a place within my favorite movies of all time, and the only thing which makes me sad about it, is that 1. I wonder if upon a fourth viewing (we saw it three times) through my 20th it will lose some of its luster; and 2. that it wasn't much, much longer, as I did not want the fun to end.
94 out of 160 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A movie with power packed smoldering intensity
veeresh12096 April 2018
Reboots can be tricky. While some click, most of them crumble under the pressure to shake off the barrage of comparisons that would be thrown at the movie. Last couple of years saw such horrible reboots like Jurassic World, The Mummy, Kong: Skull Island. But much like Spiderman: Homecoming, Jumanji succeeds to impress the viewers. Jumanji gets a modern age makeover where now instead of a board game it is a video game. Four teenagers with varying personalities are put together in a detention. Here they discover the Jumanji video game and enter the world of Jumanji as their avatars. Then starts the fun ride. There are enough plot holes like how did the video game end up in a high school from Alex's freak house. The movie uses time tested cliche - Four teenagers with some flaw realize their shortcomings when (literally) seen from some other's point of view. But the fun parts of the movie makes us forget them, at least till the movie ends.

The movie does not take itself seriously, and that is a huge plus point. The plot of the movie is crazy, there are man eating albino (what?!) rhinos on one side and villainous henchmen with crazy mud racing bike skills on the other side. But such craziness has been ridiculed in the movie itself, which makes you fall in love with it more.

The bigger plus for the movie has been the performance of the lead actors. All of them have created niche for themselves in the film industry. Jumanji has used such niche beautifully and built very funny characters. Parts where Dwayne Johnson(Spencer) stops to admire his own physique will have you in splits. Not to mention his hilarious display of 'smoldering intensity'. Kevin Hart is Kevin Hart and Jack Blake as a women in a man's body is perfect. Karen Gillan, who is this mean Nebula in MCU, comes up with a very charming performance.

All in all, Jumanji is a movie that you can watch without any regret. It will make you gasp, wonder and laugh hysterically. It is definitely worth a watch.
38 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Critics undersell a fantastic movie
alessandrowoodbridge24 December 2017
I would watch this movie two more times at least. This was a very funny movie. Arguably one of the best performance Jack Black has done. When I watched this with my family, in a packed movie theatre, I kid you not, the entire cinema was laughing during quite a few of the scenes. The humour is excellently tailored to the audience and is a beautiful tribute to the original Jumanji with Robin Williams. The way it fantastically coincides with the original movie and moves onto a sort of sequel to this is beautiful, and a rare thing these days. The movie is very funny and easily one of the greatest movies to have come out this year. It is certainly in the top 15 movies that have come out, post 2010, accompanied with the likes of Guardians of the Galaxy, Deadpool and now the recent movie that just came out, Bright. If you felt that Bright was also under-appreciated by movie critics, the exact same thing has happened here as Jumanji is a 100% gaurantee, a movie that will be appreciated after watching. Personally, I would watch it again and again with people. It is not just a movie to watch and discard, this is one to put on the bookshelf and watch again in the future. Loved it. Thank you for such a great movie with a fantastic and fun cast who clearly have great chemistry on and off the screen.
104 out of 194 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lots and Lots and Lots and Lots of Fun!
themovieparadise22 December 2017
All of the performers are fantastic in this film, and are perfect fits for their roles. The group dynamics are excellent, and they all have hilarious back-and-forths with each other. Some of my favorite moments in the movie are when everyone is simply standing around talking. Dwayne Johnson really shows his comedic talents here. While he does have a few scenes where he gets to show off his action chops, most of his role is comedy-heavy, and he delivers on it. Kevin Hart plays the same character he always plays, and more times than not it annoys me, but for whatever reason here it works. Maybe it's his chemistry with the other actors, but he's hysterical in this movie. I'm not a huge fan of Karen Gillan's character of Nebula in the Guardians of the Galaxy films, so I wasn't sure how she was going to be in this. But she delivers as well. Not only does she nail the action beats (and she has some of the best in the whole movie), but she also has some great comedic moments, comedy that I didn't know she could pull off as well as she did. But the true star of this movie is Jack Black. I thought he was hysterical in the trailer, but I was afraid that the concept of him actually being a teenage girl would get old and annoying quick, but it doesn't. Black is perfect for this role, and nails every comedic moment he's given. They are all fantastic together, and it makes for some great entertainment...
83 out of 155 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It was surprisingly good.
lunalovitt8 April 2018
When I first heard they were making a reboot of Jumanji, I was skeptical. These days it seems like everything is getting a half-assed reboot or spinoff so when I went in to watch this movie I didn't expect anything life changing or original. And I was shocked with the results. This story was actually GOOD. It took the original concept that was Jumanji and made its own twists and turns and didn't actually butcher the original source. And I really enjoyed all the characters as well, which is something I couldn't exactly say about the original film. I was so surprised at how much I enjoyed this movie that honestly I find myself wanting to go back and re-watch it. When it comes to movies starring comedians, I don't really get very hopeful about the content and quality of the movie, especially these days when "comedians" turn out to mostly rely upon profanities and slap stick more than wit and actual humor. However, the jokes in this movie were on point and I really enjoyed Kevin Hart's performance as well as Dwayne Johnson's. They played well off one another and it wasn't over the top. And wow... I really did think Jack Black had hit the high point of his career back in Kung Fu Panda and was on the down slope, but he was easily one of the best parts of this movie. The casting for this movie was great overall. Not only that, but this movie was more than the typical "comedy" movies you see nowadays that are all about getting drunk/spitting out as many curse words in a sentence as possible/being "shocking". There was a serious plot behind it with actual stakes and it played its serious moments very well. All of the characters went through important evolutions that were believable by the end of the film.

Now, it wasn't perfect. There are things that were a bit off in terms of continuity and if you know the first Jumanji then you might see where I'm getting at, but it wasn't enough to take away from the film itself. Overall this was a very enjoyable movie and I'd definitely watch it again. The movie was a tasteful update to the Jumanji franchise, and to be honest I'd love to see if they have plans for a sequel. I'd certainly watch it given how well they treated this movie.

Then again, I did watch Pitch Perfect 3 in the same night as this one, so this positive review might be a little biased when taking in both movies side by side in a short period of time.
18 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Movie. Go see it already!
scott-8244322 December 2017
Fun movie for family. Silly at times with decent action and interesting people. If you are a guy wanting to bring wife/girlfriend to movie you'll both walk out feeling you got your money's worth then this is a great pick. It won't win any fancy awards but best movie in theaters right now.
81 out of 163 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Exciting and Fun but it's not Jumanji
tk-to-dj10 December 2017
Jumanji 1995 has many memorial moments for example: The reveal of the Jumanji board, monkeys robbing a police car, the stampede, sinking floors, the flooded room with some crocodiles, the incredible use of the sound track, basically a lot of stuff. The original is well crafted and now it's 2017 and we have Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle. It's a fun, action comedy film with really cool references to the first film but as much as it entertains me it's not Jumanji. As Robin Williams said "I've seen things you've only seen in your nightmares" but in this film the jungle is safe enough to make margaritas and have scented candles on display. Dwayne Johnson tries to play a geeky character but he still plays that big tough guy. Kevin Hart plays himself nothing new, Karen Gillan plays a geeky shy girl and she has done that before and finally the highlight of the film is Jack Black playing as a teenage girl named Bethany. Everything Jack says is incredibly funny and will leave you falling off your seat. Like I said before it's not Jumanji, 6.5/10.
102 out of 215 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hilarious reboot!
andrewcepeda1 April 2018
I was skeptical at first but found myself in full belly laugh within the first few minutes! Cool idea, amazing actors, unique story arc on the Jumanji name. And it's a family movie too, despite a few words from Kevin Hart... I recommend!
29 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very, very fun and worth your time!
regula18 December 2017
The original Jumanji was supposed to be a one-and-done film, even though it teased the potential for a sequel. Many voiced trepidation at the prospect of a sequel after all these years later, and after the tragic death of original star Robin Williams, there were valid concerns about whether this sequel could be both a good movie and a fitting sequel and tribute to what had come before.

I am glad to report that it fulfilled all expectations.

The film relies almost entirely on its star power, and it has that in spades with the likes of Dwayne Johnson, Kevin Hart, Jack Black, Karen Gillan, and Nick Jonas. Where the charm resides, though, is the actors playing against their types through the means of real-world to video game body switching: The Rock embodying a nerdy hypochondriac, Hart an all-star jock, Gillan a shy insecure reject, and perhaps most brilliant of them all, Black housing a she's-all-that pretty girl. Together our four teenage protagonists get sucked into the video game incarnation of Jumanji, a jungle land that is threatened from the typical video game threat, and our heroes must do the usual video game tasks in order to beat the game and return to the real world, all without getting killed in-game, which will get them killed in real life after three lives.

The film thematically treads the same sort of ground that other teen movies tend to cover, mainly the stereotypical high school tropes get thrust into a situation that forces them to work together to correct each other's flaws and by the end they return to their 'normal' lives as better people.

What the film does different in the body-switching is that these tropes are transferred onto adult actors, people who each have tropes of their own, and the way that each actor gets to play against their type is definitely what makes this movie so fun.

On the flipside, like a video game, the villain is very one- dimensional, and while the narrative isn't necessarily harmed by it, it does stand out as something that's lacking, wishing that the villain was more than just 'I will kill you because reasons'.

Also, the character introductions in the real world at the beginning of the film feel very forced, as in we all know they end up in the game, and the reasons they get into the situation feel very convenient, as if the writers could not find an elegant means to get these four people in the same place in front of the game console at the same time, so they just threw them all together.

These are fairly minor nitpicks, as the pace of this film is fast, it doesn't really drag at all, and while they do repeat a joke or two, it doesn't step over the line into annoying. All this makes for a very fun film, definitely worth your time this holiday season, and after once it gets released on home media.
87 out of 183 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nice sequel! Better than my expectation
Misstumbler22 December 2017
I actually come to watch this movie with low expectation. I watched 1st Jumanji and it was really great (and I watched it a couple times). The sequel is a little different with it's successor, with the theme is still same, a game that involved real adventures to it's player. Four teenagers sucked into the game, and they become a character they chose (which is very different from their real life). The movie is so funny, and if you played RPGs game you will find this really entertaining. The humour is still suitable for young audiences, so it's a family movie too. And while it's a humour adventures movie, it still have a good message. So I really recommend it, hope you'll enjoy it too.
65 out of 136 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastic movie!
sahadat-5313820 December 2017
Really enjoyable movie! The movie is well paced, great cast, great action sequences. I think this is a must see movie, for all the family.
72 out of 153 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awesome, just awesome!
vengeance2023 December 2017
Heard about another Jumanji Film being made, but thought it was going to be a remake of sorts. Well, through years of development it seems to be more of a different take on the 1995 classic! And a good take it was!

Starting at 1996, a young man finds a "board game" on the beach after hearing the iconic "jungle drums" sound emitting from the box partially covered in sand. Like the original, he finds it, takes it home with him, & then finds out it's an Nintendo like game & plugs it into his console & starts playing, he gets sucked in & is trapped in the game, similar to the original, but as a computer games console, not a board game, interesting take.

So fast forward 21 years later, & 4 young teens who all come together via detention play the game & get sucked in after finding it in a store room in the school. It's then they find themselves in different bodies & each have 3 lives like that of a computer console game. They then learn of the curse of the jungle via a green jewel & must place it back where it was & shout "Jumanji!".

The film I thought was pretty good! Of course it wouldn't be nearly as good as it's counter back in '95, but it's pretty damn close to be an original & somewhat is! The story was simple & easy to follow, the characters were great & likable, Karen Gillan was a babe in this film! (sorry had to say it!), but she & the others were great! I also liked the humour in this film too! It was funny & fitted well!

I was kind of peeved it wasn't set in the real world as appose to a jungle, but I suppose it was because they were sucked into a different world so it made sense in a way, & it wasn't too bad either!

Overall this film was a good watch & matches pretty well with the original film! 9/10 Go watch it!
46 out of 94 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awesome fun
Takethispunch31 December 2017
Four high school kids discover an old video game console and are drawn into the game's jungle setting, literally becoming the adult avatars they chose. What they discover is that you don't just play Jumanji - you must survive it. To beat the game and return to the real world, they'll have to go on the most dangerous adventure of their lives, discover what Alan Parrish left 20 years ago, and change the way they think about themselves - or they'll be stuck in the game forever.
54 out of 113 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best action films I've seen in a while
davispittman31 December 2017
I'll start out by saying that my family is a really big fan of the Robin Williams/Bonnie Hunt Jumanji movie, I personally thought it was alright. Nothing great, but not bad either. I went into this movie with my doubts about it's quality. One, because I wasn't the biggest fan of the original, and two because I was fearful it would just be another generic action romp. I was WRONG. This is one of the best action films I've seen in some time, and there are many reasons as to why this one works so well. Reason number one: the casting. This cast is just perfectly put together. Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson really was great in the lead role, one of his best performances in my opinion. Kevin Hart serves as the ever hilarious comedic relief, and he did a fabulous job of making the audience laugh their asses off. Jack Black is really great here as well, very funny, really the best middle aged man in Hollywood you could pick to play as a teenage girl stuck in another body. And lastly, Karen Gillan and Nick Jonas give fun entertaining performances. The acting is a big plus for this movie. Reason number two: the writing. The script allows for many things: comedy, action, and some serious stuff too. Funny lines for the comedic heavyweights and more touching/sweet content for when it's called for. And finally, reason number three: very exciting action and effects. The action scenes are done well and achieve the level of excitement that they are going for. And the visual effects are top of the line as well. Overall, this is just a great film overall, and it even gave a small harken back to the original 90s film. Great lovable characters, exciting action, skilled writing... just a joy overall. 9/10 for Jumanji: Welcome to the jungle.
34 out of 69 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent Cast and a Great Show!!
freelivingform22 December 2017
Dwayne Johnson just keeps getting better with age. Jack Black and Kevin Hart are very talented actors who know how to temper their roles just enough to compliment the movie. Enjoyed this movie with all the action, unpredicatability and creative direction and scenes. High Recommend!
23 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoy the ride in "Jumanji"
jon.h.ochiai24 December 2017
I really enjoyed "Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle". "Jumanji" is way more than its movie trailer. Dwayne Johnson and Karen Gillan are awesome. The Rock embodies a genuine "nerd' charm in his action hero persona. It's nice to 'see' Karen not hidden behind the Nebula visage of "Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2". I'm a fan from her short lived series "Selfie". Gillan is beautiful, beguiling, and comedic charm. Jack Black as Shelly the gender swapped avatar practically steals the show illustrating the movie's surprising message.

Game avatar Shelly, who's real life persona is "it" girl Bethany, schools now stunning Martha (Gillan) how be attractive to men. Shelly says, "You're hot. Now own it." Black offers comic relief in the video game mayhem as Shelly confesses to Smolder Bravestone (Johnson) and diminutive Moose Finbar (Kevin Hart) that having penis makes it so easy to pee. In the touching narrative arc, as their avatars in "Jumanji" Martha tells Bethany that she is so self-absorbed, consequently totally so selfish. Bethany tells Martha that she judges people first, before they have chance to hurt her.

Director Jake Kasdan surprises not so much with the light hearted large-scale action with Johnson and Gillan kicking some ass battling motorcycle villains commanded by Bravestone's arch nemesis Van Pelt, played by ruthless vile Bobby Cannavale. Rather his poignant message in this video gamer movie is: Be who you are. This is amazing given that the screenplay based on the book, "Jumanji" has screenwriters Chis McKenna, Erik Sommer, Scott Rosenberg, and Jeff Pinker. Usually having that many writers inevitably generates kluge.

Instead they are often touching. Young Spencer now The Rock's Bravestone has been in love with teen iconoclast Martha, now Ruby Roundhouse, since 7th grade. Both Johnson and Gillan are the most beautiful screen actors in paradox as Spencer says, "I'm a nerd." Martha says, "I like nerds."

Bravestone fears death realizing that he only has one game "life" remaining in "Jumanji", doubting if he can save his friends and return the magical green jewel to the Jaguar statue. His friend Finbar, played by Hart, reminds that in the real world, "We all only have one life." So do your best. That's what anyone can do. Johnson is amazing movie star swag and gentle introspection as Bravestone. Hart is nervous comic energy as Finbar. He tells someone about his avatar's weakness, "Cake makes me explode." Don't often hear that one. Hart is also all heart. Their partnership along with Gillan and Black are about seeing others as greater than they know. In the end that's what makes you become. And perhaps, the hero arises from within.

"Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle" is derivative of "The Breakfast Club" and "Raiders of the Lost Arc". "Jumanji" does not aim to be as iconic, although it is about: Who you are? Who are you going to be?

Young Spencer, Fridge, Bethany, and Martha, played convincingly by Alex Wolf, Ser'Darius Blain, Madison Iseman, and Morgan Turner, all enter the video game "Jumanji" as who they are. Perhaps, they transform as greater. Really that's up to them. Director Kasdan invites you along for the ride with cool martial arts and gorgeous locales. Go along for the ride. The ride is well worth it.
22 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (2017)
rockman18222 December 2017
The original Jumanji is a nostalgic film from my childhood. It still held up when I rewatched it earlier this month. The effects aren't the greatest but the film was fun and had a lot of heart. I was not one of those annoying people who had pitchforks out when they heard about Jumanji being rebooted or getting a sequel. Always give a film a chance, that's what I do. After seeing promo pics and trailers I was hyped. I like The Rock and Kevin Hart working together, and also love Karen Gillan. The film looked like a fresh spin on the original and even looked like an effort that wanted to stand on its own. It does exactly that. Say what you want, this is a very fun film.

Four different teenagers are given detention and once there they discover an old video game named Jumanji. They plug the game system in and are sucked into the world of Jumanji, primarily in a jungle where they must return a jewel into an enormous Jaguar statue. Sounds easy, but the jungle is filled with tricks and traps and wild animals. Oh yeah, the four characters become the characters in the game physically. This makes for a very entertaining time with almost non stop humor on top of its adventure.

The actors do very well in this. Jack Black and Kevin Hart bring the comedy. Jack Black's character is actually the embodiment of a self absorbed teenage girl, and he plays that remarkably well. I dig Kevin Hart with his loud commentary. I also love that he's always getting knocked over thrown around, in the way of danger, or in this films case- explodes. All the humor in this film comes at you tenfold and it all works. The story keeps you on the edge of your seat and, while somewhat predictable its never boring. The action scenes are gripping and grand scale. I loved the world of the film and the connection between the characters.

The film has a few nods to the original but the film is still quite independent from the original which is nice. Really its in name alone; the connection to the first. Overall, its a blast at the end of the year. Its a re-watchable and exciting comedy/adventure. Take off your critical lenses and actually sit and enjoy this. The negative things I'm reading about this are analyzing it on such a deep level. Dude, relax and enjoy.

39 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than I expected
jcastin-2428310 March 2018
I saw the previous Jumanji (95) and it was always dearest to my heart. I was REALLY skeptical in watching this one. It looked like they were going to ruin the first one and make it more commercial. At the end of the day that is exactly what they did! But I did not expect it would be so but so much fun to watch! Could barely stop laughing! Enjoyed it <3
24 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing !
luizeduramirez11 March 2018
I loved this movie, so epic ! you guys must watch it !
11 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Quite the enjoyable film!
jaretricejhr24 December 2017
This movie definitely got me attached! Loved the roles for the film, and definitely love the story line and comedy. It had characters you could get attached to (including the main antagonist) and it had pretty everything certain people could enjoy from an Adventure/Comedy/Fantasy movie! Especially for some of the older ages. It even had some pretty intense scenes compared to the older film. I suggest you to watch this movie if you're into these kinds of films, I definitely got a few laughs out of it, hope you will too!
32 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.