The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014) Poster

A hotel well worth revisiting more than once
TheLittleSongbird5 August 2016
That it was directed by Wes Anderson (who has a unique style that really fascinates, but admittedly not everybody will like or warm to his style) and that the cast is so stellar were reasons enough to see 'The Grand Budapest Hotel' in the first place, as well as its many accolades and critical acclaim.

While it isn't quite flawless, and it is easy to see why a number of people don't like or will not like it (due to a lot of the cast's roles being pretty short, only Gustave and Zero being fully fleshed out of the characters and those who have a problem with Anderson's style), 'The Grand Budapest Hotel' is a visually stunning, hugely entertaining, wonderfully weird and impeccably cast and acted film.

It really stuns visually, with cinematography that is not only clever in technique but also gorgeous in aesthetic and tight, fluid editing. The costumes, production design and hair and make-up richly deserved their Oscar/Academy Award wins, the costume and production design have a lusciously colourful fairy-tale feel while also given substance by the bleakly atmospheric quality that reflects the crime drama aspect of the story brilliantly.

Alexandre Desplat also received an Oscar, and with its hauntingly hypnotic and entrancing tones it richly deserved it as to me it was by far the best score of those nominated. Anderson directs superbly, the story balances darkness and quirkiness to great effect (the prison scene is unforgettable) and it's never too simplistic or convoluted (though of course the visuals, dialogue and performances make much more of an impact) and the screenplay is a sublime mixture of the dark, the quirky, the witty and the subtle delivered with rapid-fire.

'The Grand Budapest Hotel' boasts an impeccable cast and pretty much everybody does a splendid job, though many of the roles are short. My only criticism of the film is that Harvey Keitel and Saoirse Ronan are underused and just get lost amongst everything else, an unrecognisable Tilda Swinton also has little to do but still gives a bat-out-of-hell performance.

Bill Murray, F. Murray Abraham, Jeff Goldblum, Jason Schwartzman and Owen Wilson give very entertaining performances, while Edward Norton is delightfully droll and Adrien Brody and especially Willem Dafoe bring sinister foreboding to the film. Some may say that Tony Revolori is overshadowed by the more experienced cast members (being the only newcomer in a large cast of big names), but to me he more than holds his own and effectively plays it straight. The film belongs to Ralph Fiennes, in what is essentially the heart of the film, while he has always been a fine actor he has not given a performance this brilliant in years, never knew he could be so riotously funny.

In conclusion, a wonderful film and a hotel well worth revisiting more than once if to one's taste. 9/10 Bethany Cox
66 out of 76 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Strange and pretty much impossible to describe.
planktonrules15 June 2014
Wes Anderson's films are really hard to describe or define. Suffice to say that he is unique in his style--very unique. This uniqueness is what makes "The Grand Budapest Hotel" worth seeing. It's an odd story where a story is told within a story--and it's filled with famous actors making lots of odd cameos. And, like Anderson's other films, it's full of odd characters, unusual dialog and brisk-paced editing. And, not surprisingly, it's NOTHING like other films by other directors.

The bottom line is that all these weird factors work together to make a film that you'll probably enjoy--but, like me, you won't be exactly sure why!
51 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Keep your hands off my lobby boy!
lastliberal-853-2537084 February 2015
The Grand Hotel Budapest is a zany, colorful and fascinating journey through old postcard Europe, such as only Hollywood can think of. With his old, almost square picture format Wes Anderson pays tribute to recent days, but with the whole movie. In addition to his brilliant humor and endearing characters, this film captures gems with seemingly small details and meticulous compositions. For me, now one of the funniest and most original movies of 2014.

The style is unique. You will either like it or you won't. There is no middle ground here.

With too many great actors to mention, they all gave outstanding performance that will keep you enchanted.
49 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A brilliantly entertaining fantasy outing by Wes Anderson
bob-the-movie-man12 March 2014
The Grand Budapest Hotel is the latest from Wes Anderson, and what great fun it is. My review of Monuments Men pointed out that putting the likes of George Clooney, Matt Damon, Cate Blanchett, Jean Dujardin, Bill Murray and Hugh Bonneville in the same film was no guarantee of a good film. Following that logic, what should we make of the following turning up together: Ralph Fiennes, Bill Murray, F. Murray Abraham, Adrien Brody, Willem Defoe, Jeff Goldblum, Jude Law, Edward Norton, Tom Wilkinson, Saoirse Ronan, Owen Wilson and (a wonderfully made up) Tilda Swinton? The answer is a near masterpiece of cameos that add up to a highly entertaining and memorable film.

In a complex serious of flashbacks, Tom Wilkinson plays an author remembering his younger self (Jude Law) being recounted, a number of years before, the life story of The Grand Budapest's mysterious elderly guest Zero Moustafa, played by Abraham. (Are you still with me?) Featuring strongly in this life story, Ralph Fiennes plays hotel concierge and lothario Gustave H., seducer of his elderly and wealthy guests. He is supported in this role – for everything outside the bedroom that is – by trainee Bellboy, and Gustave's protégé, Zero (in the younger form of Tony Revolori).

Following the murder of one such guest (Tilda Swinton), Gustave is not surprised to feature strongly in her will, awarded a priceless Renaissance painting – Boy with Apple. This is much to the displeasure of her son Dimitri (Adrien Brody) and his evil henchman Jopling (Willem Defoe). What follows is a madcap pursuit across snowy landscapes, various grisly murders, a couple of civil wars, some disconnected fingers, a prison break and a downhill ski chase.

All the cast seem to enjoy themselves immensely, but it is the production design and cinematography that really shines through: every single shot of the film is just a joy to look at, from the bright pastel colours of some scenes to the oak-panelled finery of the elderly lady's mansion. Beautifully crafted, beautifully lit,beautifully costumed, beautifully filmed. Bringing a film out so early in the new Oscar-year must be risky: but one can only hope that the voting members have a long enough memory to recognise this movie in these sorts of categories.

There are some interesting crossovers to recent films: both 'The Book Thief' and 'The Monuments Men' were filmed – as this was – in Studio Babelsberg in Potsdam. No coincidence then that the steam train chugging through the East European countryside looked startlingly similar to that in the opening scenes of 'The Book Thief'; and if you have Bill Murray and Bob Balaban in town for Monuments Men, then why not stick them together for this film too? Simples! Alexandre Desplat turns up AGAIN with another quirky and fitting score.

All in all, if you like the quirky style of films of the likes of Moulin Rouge then you'll love this. Highly recommended.

(If you enjoyed this review, please check out my archive of other reviews and while there sign up to "Follow the Fad"! Thanks!).
161 out of 220 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Grand Adventure
corrosion-28 February 2014
Wes Anderson is one of the most original film makers working today. None of his films can be categorized into any particular genre. His latest, The Grand Budapest Hotel, which opened the Berlin Film Festival, continues that trend. It is a tale within a tale within another tale. Whilst every shot has been meticulously arranged as though a work of Art hanging in a museum, story wise Anderson has let his imagination run wild. Though the tale (with Tom Wilkinson as the author of the story) and the tale within the tale (with Jude Law as the young author & F Murray Abraham as the mysterious owner of THe Grand Budapest Hotel) have straightforward narratives, the tale within the tale within the tale, which comprises the bulk of the film and is set in the years preceding the Second World War, is a wild uproarious train ride of story telling. It also boasts the cast of a life time: Ralph Fiennes, Tilda Swinton, Edward Norton, Adrien Brody, Willem Dafoe, Harvey Keitel, Jeff Goldblum, Bill Murray, Owen Wilson & countless cameos. It will delight Anderson fans but is more likely destined for Art house cinemas as it is too off center for mainstream audiences. The production design and music are outstanding and even the end credits are imaginatively done (and received another ovation from the audience).
245 out of 320 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"There are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity... He was one of them. "
jan_kalina25 April 2014
Wes Anderson is one of the last directors -auteurs- who's got complete control on the film set and has the power to make whatever kind of film he desires. His distinct visual style is apparent since his 1996 debut Bottle Rcoket. But that was just a start, with every film he made he was perfecting his technique more and more. This marvelous attention to detail, the way he composes his shots( tracking shots, the symmetry, the characters running in slow-motion), chase scenes, love story, nostalgia, explanatory montages, the colourful set design and the prevalent theme of every one of his films: family. This all adds up to the reason why the audience enjoys Anderson's film so much. This all is brought to perfection in Grandhotel Budapest.

Through complex narrative framework, which itself is a mockery of all these films that are being narrated by someone and is also being an excuse for not being too realistic, we get to a story of a young lobby boy named Zero Moustafa and Gustave H. (Ralph Fiennes)the concierge of the Grandhotel Budapest. Many of the female guests of the hotel mainly come to enjoy Gustave's company. When one of these ladies passes away, Gustave grabs Zero and boards a train for her mansion. Soon he's blamed for her murder and hunted by police led by Edward Norton and a grim-faced assassin played by Willem Dafoe. There also is a love story between two young teens - Zero and Agatha (Saoirse Ronan) who has a birthmark in the shape of Mexico.

I frankly don't understand how can this film be successful in the USA. This film is just so typically European, that I guess some aspects of the film Americans just aren't familiar with. Some of the humor reminded of old French, Italian and Czech comedies.

Wes Anderson remains to be a stand-out filmmaker who never disappoints with any of his creations and is a safe bet to rely on his qualities. You won't want to return to the real world when the credits start to roll.
266 out of 337 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A new high for Wes Anderson
SnoopyStyle23 July 2014
The Grand Budapest Hotel is an old relic in the eastern European former republic of Zubrowka. In 1985, the author of the book Grand Budapest Hotel (Tom Wilkinson) recounts how in 1968 he (Jude Law) got the story from Mr. Zero Moustafa (F. Murray Abraham). He talks about his early life as Lobby Boy (Tony Revolori) with the original concierge M. Gustave H. (Ralph Fiennes) in 1932 who was willed a priceless painting by Madame Celine Villeneuve Desgoffe und Taxis (Tilda Swinton) setting off a battle with the woman's family led by her son Dimitri (Adrien Brody) and the violent Jopling (Willem Dafoe). Gustave is arrested for Madame D's murder. Agatha (Saoirse Ronan) is the girl of purity who's in love with Zero. Kovacs (Jeff Goldblum) is the executor of the will.

This is a new high for Wes Anderson. He's filled this with his usual unique visual style and his quirky characters. In addition, he has used it in an exciting thriller with a bit of mystery. There are some really dangerous bad guys. There is real tension that isn't always there for a Wes Anderson film. He always had the quirky, the fascinating and the unique. This has so much more than that. It's a pretty fun thrilling ride.
14 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funny, sweet, inventive and wonderfully acted
runamokprods15 August 2014
A wonderfully funny fable of the adventures of world's greatest hotel concierge (a brilliant, inventive and hilarious performance by Ralph Fiennes) and the friendship he strikes up with the hotel's new lobby boy (a strong debut by newcomer Tony Revolori).

The story goes in many unexpected directions, every one entertaining and eccentric, and the cast is full of first rate highly comic performances by F. Murray Abraham, Adrien Brody, Willem Dafoe, Jeff Goldblum, with terrific cameos by Bill Murray, Harvey Keitel, Edward Norton, Tilda Swinton, Jason Schwartzman, Tom Wilkinson, Owen Wilson, Jude Law and others I feel bad for forgetting here.

While not Anderson's most profound film, it may be his most joyful. I don't think I stopped smiling from first frame to last, and I laughed out loud quite a few times. And yet, as in any good fable, there is some real poignancy as well. A top notch marriage of a lovingly crafted art-film and a wacky human comedy, something rarely pulled off with such panache. Even my friends who don't enjoy Anderson's work in general had nothing but good things to say. The sweetest treat of the movie year so far.
44 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wes Anderson's Best?
edgereviews14 March 2014
I would consider myself a Wes Anderson fan, however in saying that, I have only seen a handful of his movies. I was very excited for The Grand Budapest Hotel, because of its excellent cast, the fact it's directed by Wes Anderson and just by how unique it looked. After watching The Grand Budapest Hotel, I can confidently say that it's my new favourite Wes Anderson film, and probably his best.

As I was hoping, the story to The Grand Budapest Hotel is very original and unique, some may even say strange. And as the movie goes on, the story only gets wilder and wilder. The film is often very hilarious, with some seriously funny dark humour thrown in there as well. Characters are extremely well written, with the bond between Gustave and Zero being the backbone of the whole movie as it's so well written. The Grand Budapest Hotel features an odd narrative structure that works very well for the film, again adding to the uniqueness and freshness of it. I wasn't exactly sure how the story would play out, as I purposely avoided all promotional materiel so I would know as little as possible before watching. This was a great benefit to my viewing experience as I loved everything I saw, and felt as though nothing was spoiled from watching too many trailers.

I haven't been a huge fan of most of Ralph Fiennes' work since his phenomenal performance in 1993′s "Schindler's List", but this is easily his best performance since then. He proves he can do comedy just as well as he can do drama, providing a perfect balance of both. Newcomer Tony Revolori is excellent as well. I won't get into the whole supporting cast because there's so many who were all so great, but I was particularly impressed by Willem Dafoe, Adrien Brody, Harvey Keitel, Jude Law and Saoirse Ronan.

The Grand Budapest Hotel is definitely a Wes Anderson film, down to its very core. If you know his style, then you known what to expect, as this movie is full of it. Thankfully though, it's not a case of style over substance, with a great story to accompany the gorgeous visuals. The colour palette is beautiful; it's nice to see lot's of bright colours when so many other films are so dark and dreary. The set design and costumes are perfect, and there's so much attention to detail within the sets. The cinematography is phenomenal, and I really like how the film was presented in different aspect ratios.

You really can't go wrong with this film. It's probably Wes Anderson's best film, it has gorgeous visuals, excellent acting and a wonderful story. If you're a fan of Wes Anderson's previous work, you cannot miss this, and even if you're not a fan you should go and see it anyway.
262 out of 334 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A perfect holiday without leaving home.
xcal32121 March 2014
My heart is still rolling from the escape to 30's Europe this afternoon, and without jet lag. This movie is an inspiration, a dream, a walk through a painting and a study of humanity.

Ralph Fiennes is a phenomenon as M. Gustave. his interactions with every cast member and especially newcomer Tony Revolori are fantastic. The later holds his own weight beyond belief and the entire film is an amazing adventure with James Bond style chases, a large murder mystery, the best placed cussing and of course the sensational cinematography. The sets, models, angles and even the most nondescript characters come to life each on their own and together as a symphony of beauty. It's freaking brilliant; The Grand Budapest Hotel.
517 out of 629 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entertaining, slightly farcical, tale of dark deeds and friendship
Figgy66-915-59847021 March 2014
21 March 2014 Film of Choice at The Plaza Tonight - The Grand Budapest Hotel. I really had no idea what this film was about, having seen only one trailer which in the event, bore no relation to the plot whatsoever. However, my interest was piqued so this evening found me watching a splendid little film packed to the rafters with stars. This was the tale of Gustave H, the legendary and infamous Concierge of The Grand Budapest Hotel, a rather glamorous edifice perched atop a mountain and his protégé and most trusted friend Zero, The Lobby Boy. This is a tale of friendship, murder, revenge and deep dark plotting. There were some completely ridiculous moments which were quite refreshing and several, what I like to call Guffaw moments where several members of the audience emit a loud blast of laughter followed by slightly hysterical giggling that you find yourself joining in with. As I said a host of stars in this film ranging from Ralph Fiennes, Jeff Goldblum, Jude Law and Bill Murray to Tilda Swinton, Owen Wilson and Harvey Keitel to name a few, but one of the outstanding performances must go to Tony Revolori, a relatively unknown young actor who plays Zero, who is In almost every scene. An entertaining film, worth watching.
115 out of 174 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A fun movie with a lot of Wes Anderson wit
perica-4315127 June 2018
If you like Wes Anderson, you will love this movie. Witty, entertaining and pleasant, it is a comedy in his unique style, that hits all the tones and notes that make him a unique and original director.
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A feast for the eyes.
Sleepin_Dragon20 February 2022
The once great Grand Budapest Hotel is beginning to fall into disrepair, but as with all great buildings, it has a fascinating past, and a fascinating story to tell.

One hundred minutes of the most indescribable, fabulous, outrageous and decadent ....stuff that you could possibly hope to enjoy.

It's very funny, it's outrageous, and for the most part, if I'm honest, I didn't know what on Earth was going on.

It's a real feast for the eyes, it looks sublime, the camera work, locations and fashions are incredible, and one of the main reasons I think this film has a broader appeal than simply those who adore art house productions.

The best element for me, the acting, first off, Ralph Fiennes, he once again showcases why he's one of the very best, he is super here, Willem Dafoe, Tony Revolori, Harvey Keitel, Jeff Goldblum and many others all shine.

I've watched it a few times, each time it seems to offer something new, this is a very rewarding film, 9/10.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another Original and Weird Movie by Wes Anderson
claudio_carvalho4 July 2014
A writer (Jude Law) travels to the decadent Grand Budapest Hotel in the mountains of the Republic of Zubrowka and he meets the owner Mr. Zero Moustafa (F. Murray Abraham), who is a very simple man. Zero invites the author to have dinner with him and he tells his story and how he became the owner of the hotel.

In 1932, in the glorious days of the Grand Budapest Hotel, Zero Moustafa (Tony Revolori) is hired to work as lobby boy under the command of the legendary concierge Monsieur Gustave H (Ralph Fiennes) that becomes his friend. Gustave manages the hotel and staff and also attends the sexual needs of the old ladies lodged at the hotel. He spends one night with Madame Céline Villeneuve "Madame D" Desgoffe und Taxis (Tilda Swinton) and soon he learns that she was found dead at home. Gustave summons Zero to travel with him to the funeral and he learns that he has inherited the valuable painting Boy with Apple. Madame D's son Dimitri (Adrian Brody) and her family do not accept that a concierge may have inherited the painting and Gustave and Zero steal it and return to the Grand Budapest Hotel to hide the painting. Gustave promises Zero that he would be his heir for helping him. But Gustave is falsely accused of murdering Madame D and is arrested and imprisoned. Will his friend Zero leave him die in the prison?

"The Grand Budapest Hotel" is another original and weird movie by Wes Anderson with his usual bizarre characters. The story is funny and entertaining and it is impressive the number of stellar cameos along 100 minutes running time. Tilda Swinton is unrecognizable in the role of an old lady. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "O Grande Hotel Budapeste" ("The Grand Budapest Hotel")
16 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A cinematic chocolate box
rogerdarlington16 March 2014
Rarely has a movie looked so good: the compositions and colours make each shot a minor work of art. Rarely has a film had such a constellation of stars: in a fun exercise of 'spot the actor', you should be able to identify a dozen, although one will prove harder than the rest (clue: it's an elderly woman). But then this is a work from the idiosyncratic Wes Anderson who wrote, produced and directed.

The structure is a story within a story within a story and at the heart of this Russian doll is a tale set in a mythical Middle European nation called Zubrowka between the two world wars and focused on Gustave H (Ralph Fiennes), the dedicated but eccentric concierge of the eponymous hotel, and his aspiring young bell boy Zero Mustapha (Tony Revolori). In a wonderful cast full of exquisite performances, Fiennes is a revelation. The man who chilled us in "Schindler's List" here shows a remarkable skill in comedic acting.

In a twisting plot of deceit and murder, above all this is a whimsical work from the opening views of the hotel to the final credits (when a little Russian character does a dance). Shot entirely in Germany, most of the scenes were filmed on the stages of the Babelsberg Studios.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Keeping Things Classy
billygoat107123 April 2014
Wes Anderson is pretty much the kind of director who never betrays his cinematic trademark no matter how small and unconventional it looks. Just like most of his films, the style and personality are written all over it, from aesthetics to pizazz, but compare this to the others, The Grand Budapest Hotel crafts something that is nearly otherworldly which (obviously) makes it very charming. It is a part thriller and part comedy film that is perfectly coated by its artistic panache, but looking deep within the structure, you may also find a bunch of witty humor and rich character development from the two leads which makes it a really special experience.

The film is actually a set of layered events telling how many generations have reached the story of the past hotel owner, Gustave H. That strange piece of intro immediately presents the endless creativity of the picture. Some might think it's unnecessary, but it gives a lot of sense when the final title card appears, pretty much sums up the purpose of that period jump. But it doesn't stop there, of course. The whole film is an amusing multi-genre adventure that takes you to whimsically designed places. Even when it hits to the suspenseful moments, it still sticks to the lightheartedness until every color fades into black and white. It's a quite sophisticated direction, anything else is a pure delight.

The aesthetics are an undeniable visual feast. You couldn't ask for anything more than that, the film adds plenty of quirky action within this fabulous looking world. The perfect blend of buddy comedy, mystery, and suspense is all what you need for this platform video game looking environment. But then, it's not complete without the joys of the characters. The real shining moments here is the relationship between Gustave H. and Zero. Ralph Fiennes is wondrous to the role. He made Gustave H. a very likable fellow in spite of his obvious insecurities and selfishness. But then it's an overall compelling performance. Tony Revolori also shines as his apprentice. The misfit pair sparks chemistry that adds more color to this already colorful world. The rest of the cast are just equally terrific at they are doing, whether it's to deliver great humor or give a lot of life in each scene.

The Grand Budapest Hotel is often manic yet (obviously) often creative and witty. It's all classic stuff: it suddenly creates a captivating universe where its imaginations are free to express endlessly. I mean it even ends with an animated dance at the credits. Everything is not a surprise from the director, however it is still kind of a refreshing cinema. Because definitely it has larger than life painted exteriors, delightful characters, brilliant humor, and smart filmmaking that do not always exist in your everyday entertainment. It's just a fun caper that is easy to love, no matter if your interests to movies is mainstream or art-house.
13 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Delightfully whimsical comedy adventure, with great design and fun performances
bob the moo6 March 2016
I watch a lot of short films and you can tell that Wes Anderson has very much made an impact on up and coming filmmakers due to how often you see people trying to make what they call 'a Wes Anderson style film'. Watching these film is mostly interesting because of how often these efforts fall short. It is a reminder to me of how hard it actually is to do 'whimsy'. To make it work, you not only need to make it happen, but you also need to do it in a way that gets the audience into the space they need to be in so as to be able to enjoy it; without this it is often just annoying.

I was thinking of this because GBH is a great example of this working. This is not to say it is brilliant cinema, because in the end it is a whimsical piece but it does do it really well. The structure itself tells you where you are, because this is a film that opens with a girl paying respects at the bust of a dead author, who we then jump to as he starts to tell the story that was told to him by another man – a story which is also that of a story being told – and it is this story which we see for the most part. It is a structure that allows for the exaggeration and elaboration of all told stories, and it allows us to go with the sheer silliness of the tale. I say silliness, but actually the film keeps a lot which actually engages in the adventure plot, but yet at the same time delivers enough decadence and invention to allow us to enjoy it as a piece of fun.

The cast match this. In many films it would be a real distraction to have so many famous faces in one film, however here it works – again because the audience are mostly positioned just to go with whatever. Fiennes is the beating heart of the film, and if he does not make his character work then the whole thing would struggle; as it is, he makes it work really well, with such color and flourish. Revolori is equally good, and needs to be since the friendship and his link to the presence (or plural) is also critical to making it work. The rest of the cast contain so many famous names doing small but enjoyable turns that it is pointless to name them all – but they all add to the whimsy rather than overwhelm it. Technically the film is a beauty, with great shots, great design through, and a sense of second-hand wonder which fits the story-telling structure.

All told, it is a quite wonderful piece of silly adventure. It works because it knows itself, and it delivers itself really well in a way that draws the viewer into the space we need to be in to really go with it. This is not easy to do, and Anderson does it really well here.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unconventionally Entertaining and Visually Stunning
LeonLouisRicci21 July 2014
Orson Welles Famously said something like "Hollywood has given me the greatest toy set a boy could ever want." Wes Anderson is one of the Few New Hollywood Directors that has Embraced that Boyhood Enthusiasm and Unleashed it Upon His Body of Work with Joyful Abandon. He doesn't give a Hoot if it is Commercially Viable, Sellable, Marketable, or even Understood by the Great Unwashed. This is Anderson at Play take it or leave it.

Most Critics Love His Quirky, Offbeat, Out of the Box take on Mainstream Movie Making and Relish in His Delivery of Unexpected, Untried, Ultra-Realism. His Dialog is not Easily Digested and doesn't Fit Comfortably in the Ear. His Visuals Overwhelm the Eye and Stimulate Cortexs that are Not Known to Exist.

Watching His New Movie it is Obvious that He has Perfected His Craft and is so at Ease with His Art that the Complications look Effortless. What Emerges is an Art Form within an Art Form for the Art-Film Connoisseurs and a Vibrant Free for All for Anyone with a Modicum of Interest in being Entertained, Albeit, in a Distinctly Unconventional Method.

No One is Making Films like Wes Anderson and there Probably isn't Room in the Multiplexes for Many to Try, and some may be Relieved that He is a One of a Kind. It is Verbally Futile to Describe the Insanity of the Plot and to Try and Review what took place On Screen. It is better to just sit back and Watch it All Unfold and be Amazed at its Wonderful and Fully Fledged Pretensions.

Note…If you really must know what it is about then be advised, it is a screwball, slapstick, satire, fantasy, action, romp. The Marx Brothers meet Monty Python. But that hardly begins to describe what it is. It is more, maybe, or less perhaps. Depending.
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great
dd-osman20 March 2019
I'm surprised by how much I liked this.

Totally unexpected.
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You Want To Visit The Grand Budapest Hotel!
Sylviastel17 October 2015
Wes Anderson had created a visual cinematic masterpiece fusing comedy and drama together. With a star studded cast, the story of how a lobby boy became Gustav's best friend and colleague. They have endured a lot together. Ralph Fiennes should have won an Oscar for his performance here. He did a terrific job. The lobby boy named Zero Mustafa also did a terrific job. Every performance is first rate here. The art direction, costumes, and makeup truly deserved their Academy Awards. The movie is just enjoyable all around with a wicked sense of humor all around. This is the kind of film that you enjoy watching repeatedly. It has a wonderful original score. Wes Anderson is best known for large cast and art direction. You want to visit the Grand Budapest Hotel even if it's only make believe.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hardly a comedy, a little boring, but brilliantly made
siderite20 August 2014
The concept of this film is visual, there is no real story to it. As one of the characters notes, this world has vanished well before someone thought of making a movie about it. The location, the people, the names, they are all scrambled into something completely fictional, but very recognizable. The plot is just a jumble of stuff that just happens sequentially, but is quite inconsequential. The main character is neither of the great actors who are in the cast, but this too real fictional world that none of us are old enough to remember, but all know.

Now, if you are not interested in a new perspective, a well done movie, fantastic actors doing fantastic acting, etc, and instead you are interested in a funny story, some action, some moral in the end, then this is not the film for you. At times the movie is downright boring and nothing really happens. The only genre listed in the IMDb fact sheet is comedy, but except the kind of old mute film filming that might elicit some smiles, with accelerated speed and exaggerated movements, nothing in the film seemed comedic to me. It is not a dark comedy, either. Or it is as much as it is a comedy, I guess.

Bottom line: once one sees great actors in the cast, there is a desire to see the movie as it must be better than the average film out there. However, when the number of stars in the cast goes above a limit, you know you are in for some artful stuff. This is an art movie, no doubt about it. Watch it for the art of making a movie, since it was, I believe consciously, cleared of any separate meaning.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lots of Star Power and Style, Lacking in Substance
skepticskeptical31 August 2015
I gather that I was supposed to be thrilled by the "artful" use of color, costumes and props--especially color--in this production. And I did find it pleasant for what it was worth. It was also fun spotting celebrity cameos in nearly every scene. They were everywhere! A sort of "Where's Waldo?" in film form, with the hidden characters being Hollywood stars. The budget of this film must have been astronomical. But is it a great work of art?

I am afraid that I disagree with the reviewers who are raving about The Grand Budapest Hotel. It was somewhat fun to watch, but the story, let us be frank, is rather banal and a weird mishmash of genres. Some may call that "high art" but to me it is more like a big glob of clichés from all of the different genres mixed together into one big pot. A mystery? A comedy? A romance? A drama? A slasher crime film (Dafoe plays a psycho professional killer)?

This creation ends up being a lot of color and good props and an exercise in style, but it lacks the overall coherence and brilliance of a masterpiece. Star power and style are good, of course, but they do not alone suffice.

Would I watch this film a second time? Probably not.
21 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The overrating is strong in this one
Finfrosk865 June 2015
Don't get me wrong, this is a funny-ish, quirky, alright little movie. But it is just that. Alright.

How many Oscar nominations did it get? About a billion. While I watched it, never, not for a second, did Oscar come to mind. Although, the Oscars is but a bleak shadow of what it used to be. Moving on. (I did not know about the nominations when I saw it, just for the record)

This movie is quirky. Kind of strange, got some humor of the Wes Anderson-type, it's got a lot of strange characters, and an OK plot. But never is it really fantastic. I think people just expect Wes Anderson to be brilliant, and so they think everything he does is.

As I said, it's mostly entertaining. But it never becomes much more than OK. It has a lot of actors, pretty big names, which is part of the reason why I wanted to see it. But to be honest I expected more from the movie it self.

Yeah, it's visually interesting, but everyone already knows that.
20 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wes Anderson Off His Game
evanston_dad2 April 2014
I don't know that I'd call "The Grand Budapest Hotel," Wes Anderson's latest bit of whimsy, exactly a misfire, but I certainly didn't like it as much as some of his other recent films.

Almost always there's a strong emotional core to Anderson's films that anchors the idiosyncratic absurdity that defines his style. But that emotional core is missing in this film, leaving us with a slew of Anderson creations, cartoonish characters that don't engage us because they're not given time to. His film is stuffed with famous names, some of them Anderson regulars, some of them new to his world, but virtually all of them are given short shrift. I was excited when, for example, Jason Schwartzman made his entrance, because he's been given the opportunity in previous Anderson movies to make such a comedic impression, but he gets about two minutes of unremarkable screen time before the story whisks on to the next disposable character. It's the first Wes Anderson film I can think of that caused me to actually be annoyed by his self conscious style, a sure sign that in other respects Anderson was off his game.

I should add, though, that Ralph Fiennes is sensational. His performance is the one thing about the film I can praise without reservation.

Grade: B
24 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastically unorthodox
Vartiainen22 November 2014
A movie hearkening back to the days between the World Wars, to a time where properness, good manners and dignity still reigned supreme. All in good fun, of course. The Grand Budapest Hotel is the best kind of comedy because it refuses to admit it's one. The events are humorous, of course, as are the character, but those characters always act seriously, as if the bizarre things happening around them are the norm. There's no winking at the audience, except on a story level.

The humour is also more intelligent than in most Hollywood comedies. It can play with your expectations and pulls its laughs not from lowbrow jokes but from absurdity, straight man routines and from developed character traits. There's no clowning around, rather adult people are made to look silly when the movie starts pulling apart their everyday routines and revealing the hilarity underneath.

It's also a gorgeous movie on all levels. The camera work is superb and the whole movie has a fantastical visual style that both strengthens the jokes along with providing a plethora of its own. The talented cast also deserves a special mention. Ralph Fiennes shines as M. Gustave, a peculiar hotel owner known for his eccentricities and impeccable manners. Such a delightful character and his sheer poise is the source of most of the humour.

The Grand Budapest Hotel is a must see for all Wes Anderson fans and all of those that want to see a comedy with wit, style and finesse.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.