Berlin, I Love You (2019) Poster

Mad Spin Doctors Trying to Sell Berlin As a Cure For Depression!
Thom-Peters14 February 2019
'Berlin, I Love You' has been made by people, who don't know much about Berlin. The amount of things they've got completely wrong is amazing. Nearly everybody in Berlin speaks English all the time? That's a fundamentally distorted view of the world. Some of the authors quite obviously think that Berlin would be a better place without Germans.

Most of the ten segments' stories could have been used for a 'Dallas, I love you' or 'Birmingham, I love you' compilation, because Berlin is nothing more than the background scenery. All of them are quite pointless, cliché-ridden and extremely predictable. If the nagging feeling that you are wasting your life tends to give you depressions, you should stay clear of this movie. There is an awful lot of obtrusive agitprop by pundits who don't have a story to tell and therefore settle for sending some platitudinous messages. On the other side it sometimes gets so bad and pathetic that it gave me some laughing out loud moments - so that's a positive.

The segments in chronological order:
  • 0 "Transitions", the wraparound (director: Josef Rusnak)
  • 1 "Berlin Ride" (Peter Chelsom)
  • 2 "Under Your Feet" (Massy Tadjedin)
  • 3 "Love is in the Air" (Til Schweiger)
  • 4 "Berlin Dance" (Justin Franklin, Daniel Lwowski)
  • 5 "Me Three" (Stephanie Martin, Claus Clausen)
  • 6 "Hidden" (Dani Levi)
  • 7 "Sunday Morning" (Fernando Eimbcke)
  • 8 "Lucinda in Berlin" (Dianna Agron)
  • 9 "Embassy" (Dennis Gansel)

Three episodes could be considered as tourist promotion: "Berlin Ride", "Berlin Dance" and "Transitions". In "Berlin Ride" a simple photo safari through Berlin cures an American tourist of his suicidal thoughts. "Transitions" borrows heavily from the imagery of Wim Wenders' "Der Himmel Über Berlin" (Wings of Desire). It shows an emotional journey from depression to lust for life. While Wenders' movie features an angel with an interest in humans, here the brooding angel impersonator (Robert Stradlober) seems to be more attracted to the great beyond. A tourist from Israel will fix this - temporarily. "Berlin Dance" is basicly a music clip for Max Raabe and his Palast Orchester, it's actually nice and by far the best segment.

Three episodes are completely expendable: "Love is in the Air", "Sunday Morning" and "Lucinda in Berlin". "Love is in the Air" is a trainwreck of a story and it features Mickey Rourke - a match made in the heaven over Berlin, I guess. It is notable for the complete absence of Berlin, everything happens inside of a hotel. "Sunday Morning" is the dream of a drag queen to get hit on by a cute 16-year-old. (Yeah, that's exactly what it is!) In "Lucinda in Berlin" the depression of an American tourist gets cured by puppetry.

Two episodes are hypocrisy on steroids: "Under Your Feet" and "Me Three". Whoever still likes this kind of heavy-handed propaganda is in dire need of a software update.

Two episodes are so bad that they are actually funny: "Hidden" and "Embassy". In "Hidden" an asylum seeker who killed a 15 years old German boy (but of course he is still the good guy, because it was somehow "self-defense"), seeks refuge in a brothel. Unintentional hilarity ensues. Definitely on the funny side of bigotry. In "Embassy" the passenger of a very talkative taxi driver reads my mind and asks her: "Do you really need to keep talking? It would be great if you just not do that." It's the beginning of a wild ride that had me in stitches. Your mileage may vary.

There is an eleventh short film, beach boy Ai Weiwei directed the filming in Berlin via Skype from Peking. Sadly, it didn't make it into this compilation, which is a shame, because this sounded like the perfect recipe for a desaster.

If you suffer from depressions, Berlin is probably the last place you want to be, except if you just want to surround yourself with like-minded people. David Bowie and Iggy Pop tried it in the 1970s, you should listen to their Berlin-made records from 1977 "Low" and "Lust For Life" - not really fun stuff. 42 years later they are still a perfect soundtrack for this city. In spite of reiterated attempts of cheerfulness, 'Berlin, I Love You' is basically a very bleak and boring movie. It will not attract many tourists, if any at all.

All in all: Yes, this is a very bad movie. But it is made with adorable incompetence and a complete lack of self-reflection. Yes, sometimes it is so bad, it is kind of good. ("Bad German Movies"-Review No. 17)
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Like Paris Je T'Aime ? No.
oralevatos8 February 2019
You are probably like me wondering, is this as good as Paris Je T'Aime? The short answer, no. Not even remotely. Paris Je T'Aime had some amazing atmosphere and fantastic acting.

This, although some big name actors involved, is just utter garbage. Honestly how is this movie so terrible ? One of the reasons may be that Paris Je T'Aime was honestly just about LOVE and therefore had a HEART and a SOUL. This movie in contrast, was just filled with tiresome political messages, which Hollywood keeps pushing as usual, the story was clearly just secondary, more like a 'filler' for the politics.

Honestly, if you decide to watch the movie, which I don't advice, you'll see that my review is absolutely on point. Although the first 20~30 minutes were borderline acceptable, in my opinion it's much more worth it to just watch Paris Je T'Aime for a second time instead.
13 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Real rating should be 0
anastasijaignjatovickv17 February 2019
Pointless, don't waste 2 hours of your life on this...If there is 0 as a rating, I eould give them 0. Terrible acting, no plot, just bad...
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
High Budget Tourist Ad
Mibix8 February 2019
This just seems like a high budget tourist ad for Berlin but at least it has pretty ladies.
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Vignettes in Berlin
danaelambros12 February 2019
I really enjoyed this film. I thought it was a cinematic glimpse into Berlin visually, as well as culturally. I don't feel it deserves the low ratings it's received on this site. I also heard people comparing it to Paris, I Love You and finding it lacking. I haven't seen the Paris version so I can't comment on that. What I DID like was the vignettes of life and love in Berlin, and that the love in these vignettes took different forms: the film isn't entirely dedicated to romantic love but to love in all its forms, including sacrifice, love for strangers and love as acceptance. The sound track and music were excellent, and the visuals very strong. I also enjoyed the acting, which felt very natural. It definitely has a European vibe: there's no Hollywood hype here or over-dramatic acting; at times, it shows a bleak side to life but I like this kind of realism. While this film might not be everyone's cup of tea, I think it's a breath of fresh air in the movie scene. Two thumbs up :).
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
not really digging berlin with this tourist bull****
AziziOthmanMY12 February 2019
Made berlin looks bad in this filthy garbage.nice cast though but complete and utter BS storyline.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is like the worst crap i've seen...
madhater131311 February 2019
Where the hell is Hayden Panettiere that you advertise in your cast? Dont even bother this propaganda movie!
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
didn;t do it for me
natcalgary13 February 2019
I have not seen any of the other city love movies but if they asre anything like this then not my cup of tea. Too bad, with the great actors and actresses in this i expected something better

4.1
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
High Energy, Low Everything Else
Moviegoer1917 February 2019
Who would think that a film with so many stars in it would be so boring? Not me. In fact it was because of the cast list, as well as the previous "I Love You, City" movies that I even decided to watch it. I found myself throughout the film wondering if the producers of it weren't somehow enticed to do this film by government workers responsible for increasing tourism.

Berlin is very low on my list of places to see, and it still is after seeing this. The producers were not subtle about their goal of creating an image of Berlin today as a city that's hip, young, open-minded, creative, and fun. A city where anything goes. Rather than focus on all these little stories of love, I think they should have focused more on whatever physical and/or architectural beauty the city has because I'm left thinking there must not be much since they didn't showcase it.

Also, Berlin's and Germany's past were like the elephant in the room: it's filling the room but no one's talking about it. OK, there were maybe two mentions of the past, including a few commemorative plaques in the sidewalk but little else. I think the film would have been much better if the past had had a role worked into the storyline, perhaps being comparative with the present. The present could have been highlighted in comparison to the past.

Instead, the past was barely mentioned, while the producers worked hard to connect the individual stories with Berlin, implying they couldn't have happened elsewhere. Not only did I not buy this but I was left with a sense of, yeah, OK, now what? I actually looked forward to the film ending.

I gave it a three because it has a lot of energy, plus there were great intentions (I think!) behind the making of it. Also, some of the scenes were quite atmospheric.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Berlin, I Love You" was lovely
Obstina16 February 2019
I have no idea why this movie has bad reviews. Perhaps it's because people who reviewed it had expectations that were completely off... Anyway, I thought "Berlin, I love you" was lovely. A number of movies inside a movie, or stories within a story. It's like I walked into Berlin and got to spend some time in other people's lives, share their thoughts and imagination for a little while. Their point of view. A piece of life we get to witness. A hope that even when we feel lost, we'll be found again. Life can be easy, if we choose not to complicate it. This movie doesn't have a standard introduction, body and conclusion. Not everything is served on a golden platter. There are no grandiose scenes to entertain you every second, without you having to think about anything. However, if you wish to enter a stranger's world for a moment, to see the beautiful scenery of Berlin, to hear wonderful messages of tolerance and humanity, and other things mentioned above, then you should watch this movie.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wunderbar
Ajsmith1011 February 2019
What a wonderful movie.. must say I really enjoyed all the short stories and tales. Each one wanted me to know more and find out what happened to the characters. I have to disagree with other reviewers about this being a tourist board ad for Berlin as I don't think it showed Berlin in all its best bits. Which is good as it made the movie more realistic and not so fluffy and romantic. I see Hayden Panettiere was in the credits but couldn't see her in the movie. Great performances from everyone especially Mickey Rourke.
1 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not bad but could be better.
inarocks9818 February 2019
Some of the parts of the movie were very good and showed nice stories which gave hope, showed dreams, and possibilities in life, which was great, but others seemed to have no meaning or were just weird or both, which influenced my overall impression of this movie.

I agree that Berlin wasn't shown in its true colours, as I've been to Berlin many times, and even though it was shown in a tourist light, it still seemed a bit off, in my opinion. Berlin has so much history, as it is a city which literally rose from its ashes after WW2, so as a result it's now a city where history and the modern world collide. Also, it is a haven for many people from all around the world who seek a better life, which is why Berlin is full of people from many different countries, cultures etc, so it is also a place where Germany and the rest of the world meet, making this city very unique. The main reason for my disappointment is because this could've been a perfect opportunity to explore this, or what I think Berlin truly is.

Overall, I feel like this movie could've been so much more. The problem is not that it needs from its audience to have imagination - that's what makes it beautiful, but it would be so much better if each story was better carried out so that each has a point and that each contributes to the whole. Anyway, i still think you can find some beautiful bits and that it's watchable.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Def not the film for ppl with weak brains and lack of imagination
LayllasLocker16 February 2019
I have no idea why ppl complain about this film. It's a combination of stories with no beginning/ending and that makes it so much more interesting. Leaves room to ur own imagination. Grp of actors is wonderful, photography and ambience as well. Music too.

Overall, I liked it. I have been in Berlin once. It's truly magical city and I hope to visit it again. And this tourist point of view is totally ok, because it is made for western market, and I'm pretty sure there are many ppl living there who are not born Berliners, so don't see the problem and why ppl cry so much.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Some segments are better than others
phd_travel15 February 2019
Some segments are better than others. The Jim Sturgess segment about the car is interesting and funny. The Helen Mirren one with a refugee kid is touching. Mickey Rourke segment is oddly fascinating. The laundromat segment about female empowerment is original. Jenna Dewan shows a little of her dance skills.

The city doesn't look great in this movie showing mostly the grim modern side. Too many characters a bit hard to follow. Some won't like this but I still found it an okay watch.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.