Hellboy (2019) Poster

(2019)

Terrible Writing, Weird Directing and Awful CGI
misho-2939520 April 2019
Watching this, it feels like a twelve-year-old wrote the screenplay by tacking together scenes that might look cool without giving any thought to what the dialog would sound like when spoken out loud by human beings. Ian McShane does his best to sound convincing, while some of the other actors don't seem to see the point in even doing that and it's hard to blame them. There are plot holes throughout and segments that make little-to-no sense and add nothing to the story, although would maybe look neat if the effects were any good. The whole thing generally feels like someone slapped together at least four or five stories and tried to turn them into a coherent whole, which wouldn't surprise me, although I don't know enough about the comics to say for certain.

I'm not sure where to place the blame for the awful pacing, but the movie is just unrelenting. There are times when things should wind down, but then it's just more noisy stuff happening. For example, at one point a character is in need of specialized medical attention and they find out it'll be a fairly-long and "treacherous" trek to get it. The character is then cured within 1-2 minutes of runtime, the trek portion being a few seconds of that, then we jump straight into some exposition, then we jump straight back to what we were doing before, presumably after a long and treacherous trek back that also happens instantaneously. To get an idea of how jarring this feels, imagine if Gandalf told Frodo about what it would take to destroy the ring and the next scene was at Mount Doom.

The direction is mostly just odd, and I have no idea if it's because the director couldn't figure out what was happening in the script or because someone was meddling with his work.

Finally, the CGI monsters look terrible. There are some impressive uses of practical effects, but the transitions between those and their CGI counterparts are blatant.
183 out of 260 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I could not wait for this movie to be over.
markwilliamraymond22 April 2019
Story was rushed, very little character development, and the climax was disappointing. They should have funded a 3rd Guillermo del Toro movie instead. I try and give movies a chance, including this one, but the film was really bad. The only other movie I've ever wanted to leave early for was Dumb and Dumber To.
111 out of 158 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A wash
imdb020-643-12977220 April 2019
Unfortunately, the new "Hellboy" movie is a comics on a screen. It's flat, the dialogs are unnecessary, there are fights here and there, there are continuity issues, there are a bad camera work and bad editing. It looks like no one told the director that the cinematography is a very different form of art. The movie is boring and honestly bad. A waste of time and money.
119 out of 183 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Damn my eyes!
neat-stuff12 April 2019
I don't consider myself an angry guy but if this is the new standard for blockbusters, Baba Yaga can have both my eyes because I will have no further use for them. There's nothing I can think of to defend this cinematographic abomination. This extremely ugly shot cosplay version of Mike Mignola's Hellboy comic does not even attempt to tell a coherent story. The soundtrack consists of some out of place rock songs that are stuck in random places in the film. Unlike Del Toro's films, there is no way of feeling any sympathy for the one-dimensional characters. The endless stream of silly one-liners and aimless quips make you realize that these annoyingly unpleasant characters have nothing to tell us over the course of two (!) excruciating hours. The movie simply jumps from exposition piece to action scene and back again. And where Guillermo Del Toro created a tactile world with a balanced combination of practical effects work and sparingly used CGI, we are now saddled with special effects that look like the deleted scenes from a Playstation 3 game. It's incomprehensible that Mignola believes that this soulless version is closer to the comics. I think the claim that the a fan of the source material would be at peace with this terrible movie is an insult.
146 out of 229 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not Even Good Actors Could Rescue Bad Directing
salamandermike12 April 2019
I loved the 2004 version with Ron Perlman. That production team nailed it. I was expecting they would reboot the franchise because they had some new ideas. Doesn't seem like that was their motivation. The 2019 version is a mess. The source material is SO rich, but they only skimmed the surface of it, focusing on broad ideas so much that I couldn't really care about any of the characters or even the fate of humanity. The writing is bad and feels like a Jr. High boy's creative writing assignment, full of fantastic concepts that have all been done before. There's a lot of explaining about past events and scene setup that should come from situations and dialog, but instead is given to us in a "Oh yeah, forgot to tell you..." fashion. Then there was the editing... Scenes were mishmashed together to tell the story loosely. I'm not an editor, but I even noticed scenes that would have been better left out or rearranged in a different order. Halfway through the movie, I left.
112 out of 177 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Watch the del Toro duology instead...
rubenrui11 April 2019
Although the effort of the director and the talent of the actors, the movie lacks the charm of the Guillermo del Toro duology. The movie is way more faithful to the comics but it also tries to be faithful to the previous movies (which every reboot should try to be) but it just becomes a mess of attempts. The CGI is overused- WHEN WILL STUDIOS LEARN!- and although the creatures design is very interesting, pretty much every character lacks the dept the old duology provided. At the end of the day Hellboy(2019) is just another failed reboot that tries to be it's own thing while respecting the previous movies. My rating? 5 out of 10, but I do agree with the 61% rating on rotten tomatoes because the movie isn't all crap, there's a charm to it but it's not enough to make you overlook it's flaws. Just watch the Guillermo del Toro duology, it's a far superior franchise, and I would of loved to see the third movie if the studios didn't cancelled it. If you are interested in the director Neill Marshall (which despite the failed attempt of rebooting Hellboy is a damn good director) go watch Dog Soldiers which is criminally underrated. See you next time at the movies, Ruben the Critic
236 out of 391 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
These 10's and 9's must have been given free tickets
dixstokes19 April 2019
There's no way a sane person who paid $13 would rate this above a 4. Terrible script, mediocre acting, unnecessary gore. Decent soundtrack. Had all the amblings of a bad Disney movie. The Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense. Let's talk about this unprepared Mickey Mouse operation. What do you think they'd use for weapons in apprehending paranormal beings? Some kind of energy sucker like Ghostbusters, maybe? Or some new, state of the art plasma gun introduced to us specifically for this movie? Nope. Regular guns. That's right. They have billions of dollars for high tech facilities in the Colorado mountains and London and plenty of manpower but nothing in the way of taking down a particularly nasty apparition. You'd think they could be a little imaginative in their writing and give the BPRD a weapon that could at least plausibly kill a spirit. That is their business after all. Then again, maybe the writers were trying to give us the feeling that the BPRD was an overfunded government program that blew all its cash on expensive buildings(Winston Churchill's desk??), locations and transportation then had nothing left for what they actually needed the money for -which is the very definition of today's government! If that was the case then they hit the nail right on the head!
98 out of 158 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Makes Uwe Boll's movies look good.
tofairyfuture17 April 2019
It's like and old video game. A rather simple plot, fights in different locations and short cut-scenes with dialogues between them.
89 out of 143 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Soulless lifeless dull af boring cgi action flick
mr_chatila18 April 2019
Had to write this review seeing how so many others give it a 10, seriously? There's almost nothing to like or admire about this compared to the great 2 previous hell-boy movies directed by the great Guillermo del Toro. So disappointing and so forgettable, it's a tragedy and sin to moviegoers they opted to make this ramshackle ruinous flick instead of ending the initial hellboy trilogy by making hellboy 3. The horde (audience) wins over the others who appreciate really good things I guess!!!
83 out of 134 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow. Really bad. One of the worst comic book movies of all time. No Hyperbole.
djean-0063313 April 2019
Before I write this review, I want to let it be known that I didn't go into this reboot wanting to hate it. I had hope that it would be good since while I really enjoyed Del Toro's first Helboy movie, I was quite disappointed with The Golden Army feeling that while that movie started off good it became dreadfully slow in the third act. The trailers for this reboot looked decent and I was impressed with how much it was deviating from the other movies to create it's own identity, which is a rarity with the blockbusters of nowadays. So I go to my local cinema last night at 10:15 with my brother hoping that all the negative reviews that I had read beforehand were full of crap and were just a bunch of whiny critics bemoaning the fact that Del Toro didn't get to make his precious part 3 was the main reasoning for their hatred towards this movie. Boy, was I wrong cause this was the longest 109 minutes I've ever spent watching a movie in the theater. This film Is a disaster on every level. The acting is atrocious and consists of actors either spitting out loads of useless exposition at each other or having them scream and yell their lines out like their a bunch of obnoxious kids on a playground. The storytelling and editing is so bad and incomprehensible that scenes bleed into each other without any sense of build up or flow while being scored to obnoxiously loud songs and a guitar theme that made me want to cover my ears. David Harbour, does fine I guess with what he 's given but he s no Ron Pearlman and his makeup changes throughout the film. Sometimes he looks really good as Hellboy, other times such as a scene (Spoiler) involving a flashback to 1992 in which he s leaning over a baby crib to inspect a possessed baby, the makeup isn't even put entirely on his face and u can see his actual chin coming out of the makeup. How do u miss something like that on a movie like this. The rest of the performances are average with Ian McShane clearly biting time until John Wick 3 was to start shooting. He has absolutely no chemistry with Harbour at all and has no where near the warmth John Hurt brought to that character in the earlier movies. The visual aesthetic and cinematography of the film is essentially that of a uwe boll movie just one that's slightly better made. It's cheap and very ugly to look at. Even Uwe's movies I'd rather watch than this cause at least those are kind of fun, this isn't. Tonally it's a mess. This film has a huge tonal swift every few minutes and can't decide if it wants to be campy popcorn fun or dark somber serious like a Zach Snyder DCEU film. Milla Jovovich is wasted as the main villainess and the Baba Yaga scenes look like they came out of a high school production version of Tales from the Crypt. The Osiris Club storyline is introduced and quickly abandoned with a twist involving them that came out of nowhere which lead to a subplot with Excalibur in the third act that was so anticlimactic I had to do a double take just to make sure that really was the way the movie ended. In closing this movie sucks and I had wished I hadn't bothered going to see it. It's a waste of time and should be a black mark on everyone's careers who were associated with it. This is the first terrible movie from Millennium Films, a company I have strongly supported and defended in the past since they're one of the few companies left in Hollywood putting out old school action movies like the ones we got in the 80's and 90's, but this was a huge misfire from them. They should have let Neil Marshall make the film he wanted to make instead of controlling everything behind the scenes. I guess the former Cannon film employees who run and created Millennium film haven't learned anything from their Superman 4 and Master of the Universe days at Cannon. Don't try and make films from established franchises when u don't have the bank and expertise to do those properties justice. Just keep making medium budget action pictures and you ll be good in the long run. Stick to what your good at. So with all that said thanks for reading me review and please please please do not see this movie. Don't redbox it or stream it online. I m saving u some of your time.
91 out of 152 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is now the worst film I've ever seen.
nopplex16 April 2019
Somewhere there's a monkey at a typewriter claiming plagiarism. I really don't know where to begin with what I hated about this film. Simply put, I would say imagine 7 seasons of Game of Thrones lore and plot twists condensed into 2 hours via a series of flashbacks with added dick joke humour. I imagine my review will be removed but I'll add that the creators manage to include 2, that I can recall, child abuse jokes... because, you know, that's always funny?!
81 out of 136 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love it, need more.
lantzstumpp12 April 2019
I strongly urge anyone that considers themselves a fan of #Hellboy, the comics, the characters and not just the #GuillermodelToro/#RonPerlman films, please go see this film. This is a very different take on these iconic characters and the world they inhabit and it is the most fun version that I've seen so far. Don't get me wrong, I loved GDT's films, the man crafts beautiful modern fairly tales and this film was smart no to try and replicate that. Instead, this movie has more in common with #SamRaimi's #ArmyOfDarkness, over the top violence and Gore, not for those with a weak stomach, and frequent profanity. #DavidHarbour does an excellent job and plays the role very differently than Perlman did and it has the potential to propel him from TV into a full time movie star. #IanMcShane brings his usual gravitas and presence to the role previously embodied by the late great #JohnHurt, again being smart to not emulate that performance and make this role entirely his own.

I feel like this movie is suffering from the same disconnect and out of touch effect that critics had with last year's #Venom. Critics almost universally panned that film while audiences similarly loved it. Every negative review I've read for this so far continually compares it unfavorably to the previous films and many also take issues with the excessive use of violence, Gore and adult language. What did you expect, this is an R Rated film and is thoroughly advertised as such.

I hope positive word of mouth from fans makes this successful as they set up some very cool stuff for a potential sequel.

If you love these characters like I do, if you love balls to the wall, over the top action horror, please see this film.
311 out of 575 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A fun movie
mckeesean12 April 2019
The new Hellboy was a helluva good time. Yes, it's different from the previous two films. But give it a chance. Harbour does a fantastic job as Hellboy. And the movie draws far more on the source/comic material than the previous films. If you loved the comics, you'll enjoy this movie. Plenty of humor, action, and fantasy to hold your interest.
240 out of 439 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Could Have Been Better
ymyuseda11 April 2019
Rating 7.0/10 Yet another big blockbuster action movie based on a comic is the base of Hellboy. A few people had mentioned this movie before it came out and reassured me it would be good, but it was the opposite. If you enjoy the comic books or are a fan of action and science fiction, you might even enjoy this movie. If you're not stay away. Could have been better. Decent acting, Good effects but very lousy story. Nevertheless, they were still entertaining !!
260 out of 483 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This ain't it chief
lawrencestevens-5836920 April 2019
First off I haven't read any of the source material or seen the pearlman films in years so my knowledge of the source material is limited. However I can comment that the script is just so bad, with very cliche lines and moments. The acting from a lot of the supporting cast is quite poor as well with a noticeably poor English accent from Daniel Dae Kim. The comedy missed more than it hit and felt like it was trying to hard. There was a ridiculous amount of exposition that just bored me that kept coming from characters (particularly Ian mcshane, was probably 80% of his script). There was a hell of a lot of violence, I expected that and it was quite fun to watch but perhaps a bit too excessive and unnecessary at times. I give it a 5 because it isn't all bad, David harbour as hellboy was absolutely brilliant and carried the rest of the cast as well as I there was some nice action set pieces and choreography throughout (I particularly liked a one-shot like scene at the end). The cgi was a mixed bag, with some scenes looking good but some scenes at the end particularly laughably bad. Overall this film is quite poor and I don't recommend you see it in cinemas and spend money, perhaps wait till your drunk at home with some friends and watch it on tv or Netflix or whatever. That'll be more of a appropriate viewing experience
16 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A few things I hoped for, a ton of what I was afraid of.
wabuckles12 April 2019
I love the Hellboy comics, the novels, the short stories, all of it. Hands down my favorite comic book character ever written, and not likely to change.

They got a few things right, fair credit where its due. The Hellboy in Mexico story was spot on and well done, Daimio and Gruagach were both fairly accurate, and the Baba Yaga's chicken leg house was just about perfect. They NAILED the Osiris Club and the Wild Hunt, which got a huge smile from me.

But... Man, the rest of it? Why is Hellboy suddenly at odds with the Professor, who is suddenly a foul-mouthed monster hunter? Why rewrite the details to the origin? Why so dramatically change Alice?

The sad fact is that this movie tried to do WAY too much in adapting The Storm and the Fury, which is essentially the climax of the entire Hellboy saga. There are too many moving pieces to that story, too many callbacks to previous stories, and truthfully its way too big a scope to try and cram into one story, even if the script and director were up to the challenge. And unfortunately they were not. The story is all over the place and rushed, the dialogue is really hackneyed in spots, and overall it just ends up a mess.

David Harbour really does a great job in making Hellboy his own take on the character, but the script does him no favors in giving him very little room to work. If They ever make another, I do hope they bring him back, because it's clear how much he cares about the character.
67 out of 115 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Its Just boring
mrkller14 April 2019
The CGI sucks, the editing is poor, hell boy does not act like hell boy and the movie is just boring in general.
62 out of 106 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
zzz .... zzz .... zzz
FrenchEddieFelson8 May 2019
I really like the character of Hellboy with his little John McClane side, i.e. « I did not ask to be here, but as I am stuck here, please let me smash them all, one by one, just to have a little fun », and the dark atmosphere. The soundtrack is punchy and punk rock. At last, the Computer Generated Imagery is globally successful. For now: that's heavy! Nevertheless, the story is so predictable and terribly far-fetched. In short: desperately annoying. It's really an uninterrupted series of dismemberments, decapitation and eye-gouging delights during manifold battles against apocalyptic monsters. These scenes are strung together at a blistering pace for one disappointing purpose: make you forget an incoherent script full of moronic plot twists. Well, well, well, ... another film without much interest than we will quickly forget.
40 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun and entertaining
frozen_o10 April 2019
Not your typical superhero comic. But really entertaining me throughout the end. Gory, dark humour, sassy hellboy. Fists and fights, not much of cheesy lines. I love it!
234 out of 440 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dumb but entertaining
vmanson-4901710 April 2019
Yup the movie is dumb but that's hellboy. The cgi and monsters are nice. Alot of action not much talking. I was entertained.
158 out of 294 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Let's pretend Hellboy never existed... the character and this film are SOOO BAD...I cant...
jere_zabala26 May 2019
Man... I rarely walk out of the cinema before the ending of a film... but this was a torture... the plot, the script, the characters, everything in this movie and comic are always so BAD! SO BIZARRE AND OUT OF CONTEXT! NOTHING HAS SENSE!! I cant get why people like it, I mean, 99% of those must be possers, but the other 1% Im pretty sure they like it for real, and that's so sad, how people like a such an uncharismatic character?? Maybe because they see something that doesnt exist in reality and they are confused, anyway, -10/10, IMDB doesnt let negative notes or 0, so, sadly I have to give it a 1/10 :( But I really do want my money and time back, cause this was a waste!
50 out of 86 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unecessary
Already had a great Hellboy film with Ron Perlman. Sure the golden Army sucked but this film makes even that look like a masterpiece. Disjointed story, bad acting and certainly not entertaining. Didn't make you care about any of the characters. It is awful.

Even if the one with Perlman had not been made this film would still be awful, it is just a bad film. The fact that we have the Ron Perlman version just makes it extra rubbish as casting Ron as Hellboy was just perfect.

This film reminds me of the awful resident evil series, Mindless, cheap action with little sense to anything. Really struggled to get through to the end of this one. Tiny brain sheep will enjoy this.
52 out of 90 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One hell of a dissapointment
reecetoddimdb19 April 2019
I went into this movie having not seen the originals and aware of it's negative reviews but was willing to give it a chance, as sometimes critics can be wrong (an example being Tom Hardy's Venom which was a fantastic movie to watch). However, unfortunately the critics got this one right. The script and story line was a confusing mess which didn't know what it wanted to do with itself and which relied on flashbacks and narrative to at least get some of it's awful story across. The CGI stuck out like a sore thumb and the comedy got no laughs from the cinema I was in (I don't blame them in this case). The characters were underused and had little to no chemistry. The film's climax was also disappointing, as we saw the main villain get killed easily, taking away her formidable powers, in which she didn't really use. The few good things Hellboy had going for it was David Harbour's performance in which he attempted to do his best with a poor script. There is also plenty of action from start to finish and the movie keeps throwing different things at you, which can be saw as a good or a bad thing depending on your taste in movies. Overall, you should give Hellboy a miss, unless you are willing to ignore the story and look at the action instead.
37 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Harbour has Hellboy Handled
zwarner-6437412 April 2019
Harbour does a great job in this film playing the anti-hero Hellboy. The script was not great and after reading reviews I thought it would be garbage. There are enough redeeming qualities to watch this movie in theaters. It has solid action sequences with plenty of gore. It's disappointing critics tore it apart. I give it a solid 7 it's entertaining just try not to take anything away from it and enjoy the ride.
66 out of 119 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrible
craig_t918 May 2019
Terrible. Didn't expect much from an unknown lead (decent accompanying cast though anything with Milla Jovovich in is usually worth a watch), and then when I saw 5.4 rating on here I was even more dubious. But, tried to read reviews and every one I saw listed was 9 or 10 so couldn't read the bad reviews. Anyway, persisted, started bad, continued bad, stayed bad. Half way through I gave up and turned it off. Not a patch on the first 2.
49 out of 87 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.