The Raid 2 (2014) Poster

(2014)

The most highly anticipated film of my life, and it actually met those expectations
ebossert28 March 2014
Note: Check me out as the "Asian Movie Enthusiast" on YouTube, where I review tons of Asian movies.

The Raid 2: Berandal (2014) (Indonesian Action).

Viewed on March 28th at the Regal E-Walk cinema in the heart of New York City.

After surviving the apartment building raid, Iko Uwais goes undercover to take down an Indonesian crime syndicate that is feuding with an invasive Japanese yakuza clan in Jakarta. Things get out of control and everything goes to hell. That's the plot in a nutshell.

The fighting is the main draw of this film. Martial arts films are frequently under-appreciated because critics tend to downplay the artistry of orchestrating a fight sequence. In some ways it's like staging a complex dance with extremely difficult performances by physical talents who have spent their entire lives perfecting their craft. In many cases it can be even more challenging than executing a good dramatic moment. With that said, "The Raid 2" is an exquisite ballet of death with an incredible variety of expertly crafted action sequences that have a grounded, realistic feel to them. It's hard to describe, but despite the insane action there's very little outrageousness present. The choreography here is some of the best ever put on film.

There is no question that Uwais is currently the premiere martial arts star, and there is certainly no question that Gareth Evans is the greatest action director on the planet. This man is a genius in terms of visually expressing action through vivid, mind-blowing camera-work. This guy never directed a car chase sequence in his life, and yet his very first attempt is impressive. I did notice a bit more shaky cam in this film when compared to its predecessor, but one can see everything so it's not a problem. Evans is also a pro to create a crescendo of action where every fight seems to outdo the one before it. This generates an absolutely thrilling final hour that will go down in history.

The gory violence of "The Raid 2" is a big "screw you" to PG-13 action movies. Some critics are already whining about the graphic bloodletting, but these are the same guys who hand out 90% approval ratings to movies with incompetent action and no edge – *cough* "The Hunger Games 2: Catching Fire" (2013) *cough*. The gore in "The Raid 2" isn't just randomly thrown in either. It's a logical consequence of the situation and characters, and it is applied in very creative ways. I have heard that Evans was only coerced to cut a few "frames" due to the MPAA review, but I have no idea which frames those were because the now infamous shotgun kill is present in its full, unadulterated glory.

The $4.5 million budget is an even bigger "screw you" to mega budget Hollywood blockbusters. "The Raid 2" has more thrilling action than every $100+ million superhero movie I've ever seen . . . at less than 4.5% of the cost. It's almost unbelievable what these guys can do with a limited budget.

Given the exceptional quality of the action, the 148-minute runtime puts some pressure on the story to maintain its momentum between the violence. The first "Raid" received much criticism that asserted a generic story and undeveloped characters, but I felt that it nevertheless established a "feel" for the characters without the need for long-winded exposition. That "feel" can add quite a bit to an action film. "The Raid 2" spends more time setting up its premise, which results in some genuine plot and character development. It attempts to do this by taking a generic gangster template and infusing it with a sprawling crime saga that implements many characters. This is essentially a "chess board" setup where numerous pieces are first put into place, allowing for many possible confrontations. The viewer is therefore able to relish the moment when a particular piece attacks and takes down another, revealing the actual outcome amidst the countless possibilities.

I really liked some of the supporting characters in this, and actually felt a bit sad when they died (even some of the villains!). I am a bit disappointed that both "Hammer Girl" and Baseball Bat Man" are only given a few scenes, but they are certainly memorable. I really liked that brief moment where Hammer Girl picked up her hammers on the bar shelf. It was slightly child-like and innocent, like she was going out to play with friends. This brief, split-second moment can communicate a lot about her character.

I suppose it helps to already be a fan of the actors and actresses here, since there are a number of familiar faces from both Indonesian and Japanese film industries. Needless to say, the performances are top notch. The Japanese actors have their little moments, but they could have been given more to do in this. Maybe "The Raid 3" will give them more time in the spotlight.

Overall, "The Raid 2" is a very satisfying action film that justifies its hype after just one viewing. It's simply spectacular.
356 out of 410 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best martial arts movies EVER !
Fanboy21829 March 2014
The Raid: Redemption was such a success and regarded by many people as one of the best action movies of 2012, and the sequel is likely to end the year 2014 as the best action movie of the year. It's pretty much different than the first movie, in this one there was actually a story. This movie is a great combination of a gangster flick with a very well coordinated martial arts.

The director Gareth Evans is masterful at filming incredible action sequences, probably better than ANY Hollywood directors working right now. It is inspiring how he managed to make such unbelievable fight scenes, and car chase in a such limited budget. The cast were good in delivering the good, the dialogue was fairly good, the choreography were Spectacular! Not to mention the unforgettable cinematography that was brilliantly managed by people who knows what they're doing.The only downside is perhaps the running time which could have been shortened 15-20 minutes, but you will still always be entertained while watching this movie.

Overall, The Raid 2 is arguably one of the best sequels ever, and even one of the best martial arts movies ever. It's superior to its predecessor in terms of story telling, considering the running time, and the choreography was also quite a bit improved from the already unforgettable moves in the first one. It had more action and violence than the previous one, although less action percentage-wise. It will keep you on the edge of your seat. It has everything a perfect martial arts movie has to have, and it deserves to be regarded as one of the best in its genre. I hope that the director Gareth Evans would make more films with a higher budget to showcase to the world his true potential as a director, and it'd be great to have it featuring Iko Uwais, that could be an icon for years to come.
165 out of 187 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Raid 2 : Sundance Edition
Crazyeddie123200027 January 2014
Being said, this is the Sundance Edition; extremely brutal and uncut violence. It was amazing to hear how the editing had just finished (on Sunday) only a couple days before the first screening (on Tuesday)for Sundance. The level of expectations of surpassing the Raid: Redemption will not disappoint any action junkies. A barrage of set-action sequences from a muddy prison (uncontrollable chaos) to several people being decimate with the use of a baseball bat and a pair of claw hammers (with close-up gore that can only rival horror movies), a fantastic car chase that might have been the one of the very best choreographed sequence in recent memory and a final fight scene that will leave you breathless from its intensity and insanity.

The plot is of a familiar "storyline", yet there are somber moments from a few characters that help drive the emotional aspect (especially from the main character's quiet reconnection with his family). It does feel a bit choppy in certain scenes but, for a 2 1/2 hr movie, it really does fly on by.

The final fight scene completely out-shined the first Raid. Quite honestly, it really was an edge-of-your-seat moment. As the director explains his reason of making such a movie during a Q&A, (paraphrasing) "I wanted to make a movie that I wanted to see and hopefully there'll be several hundred people who will enjoy it too."
170 out of 196 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
OHHH EMMM GEEE . All hail Gareth
Haider-kazmee31 January 2014
Okay so where do I begin I saw the first one and It blew me away. I watch so many movies no matter the genre. So while I was watching this sequel my heart was beating very fast and the adrenaline was pumping. It takes place 2 hours after where the first one ended. Swear to god every time there was a fight on I felt it and I kept shaking. The scene that had me pumped was the train scene and the prison fight. There is a lot of martial artist involved in this film which makes me love it even more because they use real stunt men and this movie just requires skill. This is by far the best action movie sequel ever produced and I hope it gets noticed by everyone around the world. Best one on one showdown in the end. If you love action movies and would love to turn your brain off for a moment then this is your candy. My favorite action movie ever, sorry Bruce Lee. 10/10 MUST SEE!
322 out of 378 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The perfect sequel
satan4413 March 2014
This sequel is better in every conceivable way.

The action might take up a little less screen time percentage wise, but is more brutal (way more), even better choreographed, varied and memorable. I think this movie has the greatest overall collection of fight scenes in the history of action cinema, and a fantastic car chase too. Obviously I haven't seen every movie in existence, but I have never seen anything with such a collection of incredibly well done and brutal fights.

Characters have depth to them, even if on a comic book level, and are well cast and well played. Story is fairly intelligent, and more than services the action.

Everything else; filming, editing, sound design, stunts, special effects are stellar. There are quite a few "how the hell did they do that?!?" moments.
154 out of 184 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Bloody Great Sequel that's better than the first movie!!
nick-sultana24 March 2014
I was lucky enough to attend a special screening of 'The Raid 2' in Sydney last night, it was a big crowd for a small event with everyone excited for the film to begin. I can honestly say that myself, my friend who tagged along and the audience were very very entertained!

The plot continues 2 hours after the events of the first film, it places our hero into another intense mission to stop the baddies by going undercover for a special unit and blending in with the mob who's on the verge of war with their rivals. All I can say that follows is a orgy of brutal, bloody and intense arm-breaking, leg-snapping, hammer stomping, bat swinging, blade slashing, head blowing, bullet-loaded and arse kicking violence in a dash of Tarantino and Scorsese story-telling in its plot. The choreographed fights are all intense and realistic with the climatic showdown towards the last half hour of the film being the best sequences filmed on camera.

Overall, its a bloody amazing film to be released in 2014 and its a definite return for the genre too! I'm definitely keen to see this again when its out officially later this week!
193 out of 236 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Greatest Action Film Under The Sun
MrBenzene335 April 2014
I was lucky enough to catch a limited release screening of this film here in Australia as I was in high anticipation to see it after more than enjoying the first Raid film and in no way was I disappointed with this film. This is honestly, by far, one of the best sequels in existence today. The isolated first film is completely removed of all boundaries and expanded it to this ultra-violent masterpiece. First the possible negatives for some people; this movie is very long and structured differently to the first (Beginning Story - Action Centre - Ending Story) this film follows a back and forth style of (Story - Action - Story - Action) so the accumulation of story is quite large meaning a lot of reading for English viewers. Another possible negative is the fact this film feels almost nothing like the first film, the first being like an action survival story while this film is an action, espionage, martial arts film filled with gangs and all different personalities though in my opinion this gives the film a fresh style for viewers. If you were expecting same old style you may be disappointed but there is an American remake of the first film in production. The final possible negative is the vast amount of brutal and graphic violence throughout the film, this is one of the most violent action films I have ever seen but I enjoy the extreme violence side of cinema but those with a light stomach may find this film difficult for the sheer amount of blood there is in this movie in comparison to the first. These negatives in my eyes are strong points for the film in my eyes but to others might not be. To the positives which there are plenty of, firstly and most important; the action. As you probably would've expected the action in this film is the greatest bone crunching action you will most likely see in your whole life, its gritty and incredibly well planned style makes it like a form of bloody art. Gareth Evans knows exactly what he is doing here. One of my favorite aspects of the films was the direction. The slow pans and zooms Evans uses to build suspense as well as a perfect use of slow motion, not over the top in any way, just give the film an added visual style which boosts it even further. Evans also knows exactly how to build up an action scene, one of my absolute favorite fight scenes in the film in the prison yard fight which is so incredibly well choreographed whilst having this dark and suspenseful build up to the fight. This film try's a lot of new things and all of which work for example are car chase scene which is one of the best I've seen in any movie. The story in this film delivers what the first film was lacking, putting characters in the flesh and making you care a lot more, even for the villains. And with good story and characters of course comes excellent acting which is often rare in action films, these actors are absolutely teeming with talent, all of which can act and can fight. As I read the credits I could only see two stunt doubles for the whole film which is saying something. This is an absolute must see for any action film fan, it is nothing short of a masterpiece and needs to receive the credit it absolutely deserves
66 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An Excellent Sequel and Fantastic Action / Martial Arts Movie
hugo-armstrong29 March 2014
The first movie 'The Raid: Redemption' set the bar for action movies. With its fast paced action and believable fight scene choreography whilst not being over the top with an aim for realism that would diminish the combat's entertainment factor.

With 'The Raid 2: Berandal', we are brought back into the gritty world of the first movie directly following where the story left off. The viewers are introduced to an entirely new perspective on the world where the first movie is set. In the first movie we are locked in the one perspective of Rama and his battle through the building, whilst in the sequel we learn that this all takes place as part of a much larger setting. We find out that realism is not the aim of the series and instead its a world of gangsters, villains and corruption.

Evans is able to introduce new characters like the 'Hammer Girl' and the 'Baseball Bat' guy without making them seem totally over the top and ridiculous. We also get to watch them fight and are able to enjoy their unique styles rather than the usual, 'this character is a bad guy' scenes to barely introduce them.

The fight scenes are excellently choreographed and the way they are shot is spectacular, a lot of imagination and ingenuity is used to really throw the viewer directly into the action. The gore and violence level reflect far more realistic outcomes considering the brutality of both the scenarios and the weapons.

When I try to compare this to the usual Hollywood blockbuster action movies reduced to PG13 to get more people in to watch it, its impossible. The movie delivers far more in the way of action and fight sequences whilst maintaining a sensible and cohesive plot.

If you are expecting(for some bizarre reason) to see an amazing plot to compare to The Godfather or The Departed you probably are expecting the wrong things. If you are expecting to see a amazing fighting / martial arts movie with a believable plot you wont be disappointed. The movie reminded me a little of a Tarantino film with its characters, something like Kill Bill. But instead with way way way better fight scenes and frankly, a better plot as well.

Overall considering where this movie is from and the cast involved etc any negative rating is totally undeserved. Whilst not everyone's cup of tea as far as martial arts / action movies go this movie will be impossible to top in 2014, and frankly its probably the best action movie I have seen in the last decade, it will be on the top of my list for a while.
140 out of 170 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Best Action Movie Ever Made
TheIneffable28 March 2014
((From: http://thinmanmoviereviews.wordpress.com/)) In 2011, Welsh director Gareth Evans gave us "The Raid: Redemption" – one of the best pure action films of the last decade – and hinted at his potential to be a new and exciting presence in the writer/director realm. The action was hard-hitting, lightning fast, supporting a simple, contained story of one man fighting against an entire tower of enemies in a way that was reminiscent of classics like "Die Hard". Well, if "The Raid" was one of the best action films of the last ten years, Evans' follow-up film "The Raid 2″ has now set the standard for the next twenty. In fact, I'm going to make a bold statement that you can feel free to quote me on:

"The Raid 2″ is the best action movie ever made.

Where sequels are concerned, this film does absolutely everything right. It takes the frenetic energy of the original, contained within the twenty-story drug den in which it took place, and lets it loose across the urban sprawl of an entire city teeming with warring crime syndicates, corrupt police officers, and the civilians often caught in the crossfire. No longer contained to just one address, the fight scenes in "Raid 2″ cover car chases, cramped subway trains, muddy prison yards, night clubs, and city streets, and every action set piece hits all the right notes. Every punch thrown and bullet fired is made even more effective by the fact that all of the action is done practically. In an era where so much of the action that we see on screen is dominated by the CGI-centric explosion extravaganzas of Michael Bay and the like it's incredibly refreshing to see highly trained stunt professionals being pushed to their limits to deliver a collection of the best action scenes in modern memory. Much of this work is shouldered by the film's lead, Indonesian-born Iko Uwais, the returning star of the first "Raid". Uwais is reminiscent of a younger Jet Li or – dare I say it – Bruce Lee; moving with such self-assured speed and practiced precision that every move deserves multiple looks to take in all the details. The comparison to Lee is bolstered by "The Raid 2″'s finale, which plays out like the final gatecrashing act of "Game of Death", in which our hero has to slug his way through opponents of increasing lethality. Unlike "Game of Death", "The Raid 2″ lets us see our villains in action almost as often as our hero, and it's a credit to Evans as writer/director that each of these characters is absolutely dripping with charisma and cool. There are no wasted characters here; we love every hero and love to hate every villain.

The script is, with few exceptions, always on-point. What could have simply been a straight-forward action flick with minimal plot to carry us from one action set-piece to another is instead a mad whirlwind of conspiracy, murder, and double and triple-crosses, steadily ratcheting up the tension to the film's explosive conclusion. From a technical standpoint, the impressive cinematography matches the action stride-for- stride and, looking back, there are a dizzying number of wildly choreographed long-takes that put every nuance of the environment, characters, and action on display. Combine this with a pulse-pounding soundtrack and some absolutely superb practical makeup effects accompanying every injury, no matter how small, and "The Raid 2″ is the complete package. With a third film already in the works, making this a trilogy, Hollywood has been put on notice: Gareth Evans has arrived; he's just dramatically changed the landscape of action films and shows no signs of pulling any punches. [10/10]
277 out of 347 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brutal, Effective, Restless, Awesome, Nasty, Devious, Artful, Lethal
bakerstreet-862-61284029 March 2014
Having watched and enjoyed the first film, also with all its hype i heard, I excitingly went to watch The Raid 2: Berandal this afternoon. In the first 5 minutes, there're some shocks especially for the viewers who've watched the first film. The aftermath of the 1st film was told in brief to give the background plot for Rama the protagonist character. So it's basically recommended for the viewers to watch the first film before watching.

With quite many characters're being involved, to make it less easier for the viewers to identify the characters, most of them only have short names and unique names (although it got me confused a little at some time till i was finally able to know them all). The most important key throughout this film's its violent top-notch fighting choreography which's jaw dropping and breath-taking. Also the view take (cinematic technique) in this film's simply marvelous, one which i really enjoyed's the car chase scene. It's such a superb performance to take those kinds of angles. I tell you, the story's a bit much equivalent with as if a mixing of "The Departed" + "The Godfather" + Gory Martial Arts, so in my opinion it's unwise to miss watching it.

Furthermore, this sequel is indeed a confirming proof that Gareth Evans's undoubtedly an experienced and adept action film writer-director whom i think should be eyed and wanted by the Hollywood producers to direct/write decent action movies, with martial arts but perhaps less violent. Iko Uwais, although his total screen-time percentage's less (reduced because of the more complicated story n characters) compared with the first film and the role of his character is, didn't lose his hero persona, he constantly showed off his skills in the martial arts by fighting tons of enemies, got a bit improved in his acting (thanks to the story with its more dialogues).

I urgedly forbid any parent to bring their young little children to watch this movie. Also for the viewers with weak-stomachs (anti-violence) definitely might want to reconsider and avoid watching this film, because it's utterly quite gruesome. After the film ended, you might find yourselves asking about some things which're left unsure and dubious. So gotta keep your eyes out for the continuation in the next last film of the planned trilogy which i reckon must've not come out yet at least not until 2017.

A must-see film for the action movie fans.

111 out of 135 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
king of action movies
adrenilinmatt2 April 2014
When I first saw the raid, (redemption) I was blown away. exhilarating action, leaving me breathless at times. I've since watched it multiple times with other friends. And each time, left feeling the same. Now, with such high regard for the first one, naturally I went into this movie, with extremely high expectations. I was NOT disappointed. Not even remotely. It was twice as breathtaking, twice as exhilarating, and endlessly more brutal. A stunning movie. Evans, is unbelievable. His eye for what people want in an action movie is impeccable.The car chase scene (my favorite scene) was one of the best I've seen in recent history. Which is made more impressive by the fact the it was gareths first attempt at directing such a scene. I can't recommend this movie enough. Believe the hype. Absolute 10/10.
146 out of 183 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An amazing sequel that raises the bar for action as well as story
jonathan-feliciano116 March 2014
I had the opportunity to watch this movie at a special screening with director Gareth Evans, and actor Iko Uwais.

I am a fan of The Raid: Redemption. It was one of my favorite action films of all time. The gritty realism, the subtle story and fleshed out characters (by action movie standards at the very least). It was the best action movie I saw in 2011.

I can gladly say that the sequel is in my opinion better than the original (although the original is still amazing in my book). The action of course is bigger and more intricate. The Direction is beautifully done, the fight scenes are very tense and brutal the movements of the camera and the viewing angles used are dynamic. The set pieces were very varied. Where the original was confined to an apartment complex, the sequel has varied locations around Jakarta and the environments for the fights keep the action feeling fresh through out.

I am also glad that the story was bulked up in this entry as well. Many action movies make the mistake of allowing the action to completely take over the movie throwing the story out of the window. The Raid 2 is not one of those, the story here is way more complex than the original. I can already foresee people complaining about the story being unnecessarily complicated. Although I would disagree, sure the movie throws a lot of names at the viewer however I felt confident of my understanding of the story which I would like to avoid talking about in my review to avoid spoilers. I enjoyed the story I felt invested in Rama and Ucok was a very interesting character as well.

I would just like to urge any fans of the original or any fans of action movies in general to please go see this movie. I feel that in this age of cookie cutter Hollywood movies that this is a breath of inspired fresh air. Do yourself a favor and treat yourself to this movie I do not think you will regret it. I would also like to express my support of both Gareth Evans and actor Iko Uwais The Raid and now the sequel are two of the best action movies I have ever seen I hope their partnership continues and they get to bring the world many more amazing movies. Thank you!
45 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Berandal: If Internal Affairs, The Departed and The Raid 1 had a baby and it grew up to be a violent monster.
rchase-914-1729491 April 2014
I open myself up to ridicule with this review. Why? because i am about to make a very broad statement. Now, i am a HUGE martial arts action movie fan. Gunfights are as boring as steamed rice to me, and grow tired of the same Hollywood approach of throwing a pretty boy muscle-clad hero as a lead role and arm him with an arsenal of weaponry. No skill, no dramatic effects, no chance for the viewer to be immersed into each scene.

My broad statement is this: The Raid 2 is the biggest,the best, the most brutal and bloody action/martial arts movie i have ever seen....and I've seen everything from Bruce Lee, JCVD, Jet Li, Jackie Chan, Scott Adkins, Micheal Jai White, Tony Jaa etc etc

The Raid 2 effectively takes the strongest and most appealing elements of the original film, the brutal unbridled action/fight sequences, but then magnifies them. There is no walls of confinement, no narrow passages, no limits and boundaries, just the city of Jakarta, which becomes the backdrop to some of the most incredible action sequences you will ever see on film.

The story echoes the complexity and delivery of The Departed, pays homage to Internal Affairs, whilst always remaining interesting and easy to follow, which is a positive, as a movie that goes for almost 150 minutes cant be non stop action. The acting is great on all accounts, but like every martial arts/action film, you wont be reading about Oscar performances.

The fight scenes..THE GLORIOUS fight scenes :) The first hour of the movie is predominantly dialog and back-story, with spot fires of fight scenes. A large scale prison riot is beautifully shot and doesn't take long for the murky, muddy prison yard to have a splash of our favorite color (red). Prior to that is a more claustrophobic scene where Iko fends off 20+ inmates who have realized he has barricaded himself in a toilet cubicle and needs to fight his way out.

I wont go over each grin-inducing scene of hammer smashing, baseball bat hitting, neck slitting, car chasing, bone crushing, head stomping, shotgun blasting carnage, but i will give a special mention to the final fight scene of the movie: The Kitchen scene. Unless Gareth Evans has some tricks up his sleeve for The Raid 3, YOU WILL NOT see a more intense, fast, brutal, entertaining fight scene ever. It is hands-down the greatest moment of martial arts cinema that you will ever see.

If The Raid 1 raised the bar 40 stories high, then The Raid 2 leaves the atmosphere with it.

**********\10 - Completely blown away, rivals I Saw The Devil as one of the greatest foreign movies ever made.
37 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Intense" is the word that comes to mind.
johnps206 April 2014
I had been looking forward to The Raid 2 ever since hearing that it was in development, having highly enjoyed The Raid 1. The sequel picks up right where the first film left off in the storyline, which gives a nice sense of continuity.

Everything I liked about the first film returned and evolved in the second film. The action scenes are far more creative and diverse - you won't see the same thing twice throughout. As a forewarning to the squeamish, there's far more brutality than in The Raid 1: There were definitely a few scenes that had everyone in the theater cringing and uttering exclamations. For myself only one scene involving a shotgun was excessively violent, the rest made the action aspect of the film very visceral.

The one thing the sequel far surpasses its predecessor in is the plot. The story is very intriguing, giving many of the roles much more character than you'll usually find in a martial arts movie. I even found myself empathizing with some of the villains after learning their background. In addition the very clever editing/cinematography seamlessly connect one scene to the next using some gorgeous visuals along the way.

To sum up, it's a must-see for anyone who enjoyed The Raid 1. If you can stomach the violence you're in for a hell of a ride and I'm very much looking forward to The Raid 3 for which the stage has been set.
19 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolutely amazing in every regard
kii-belling17 April 2014
THE BRIEF: I knew very little about this film going in other than it had received rave reviews from critics and general audiences the world over. I haven't seen the first film and am unfamiliar with Indonesian films in general. I'm big into action films and I'm about 50/50 on enjoying foreign films.

THE GOOD: Without a doubt, this film has the most incredible fight scenes I have ever seen. The choreography is amazing and the audience feels every single brutal hit. The acting from all parts is amazing with Iko Uwais and Arifin Putra giving standout performances. The directing and cinematography are equally incredible both giving the characters and the fights life. The script is great providing plenty of twists and giving the characters and the world depth.

THE BAD: Nothing really, maybe a bit more character development for some of the minor characters? (I'm REALLY nitpicking at this point)

THE SUMMARY: I was utterly blown away by this masterpiece. I'm very happy to see a film that does not care at all about censorship and is willing to receive an R rating for it's gratuitous content. If you are squeamish I would proceed with caution however if you're not, I can't not recommend this film enough. Even if you don't enjoy foreign films (which I typically avoid) I would make an effort to go and see this.

27 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My First Review
taby_zamalek18 March 2014
This film will be a quantum leap of action movies genre . what a wonderful mix of a marvelous story , original Ultra-Violence martial arts scenes with a great talent cast and a magnificent Filming locations ,The Raid Part one was great movie but Berandal absolutely exceeded the first part with much levels in every detail , this is a true martial arts Masterpiece Gareth Evans is a talented director with a great sense of making a perfect movie with more suspense and low budget and he now can be Incomparable with great directors of all time like Spielberg and Coppola Congratulations for Gareth Evans on the amazing work and we are waiting for the third part from now
27 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This Movie Will Blow Your Face Off
cadillac205 April 2014
The first Raid remains one of my favorite action films of all time. It's a ruthless, brutal, and realistic approach to action films. So, it's hard to believe that they could top the film. And yet, they did, in almost every way. From a deeper story and plot, to more bone crunching, blood letting violence, everything here is bigger, better, and hits harder.

Picking up pretty much where the last one left off, our hero Rama is the last survivor of the original film and is wanted by a special, small law enforcement group attempting to out crooked cops. They want to use Rama to go undercover and get close to the head of the organized crime gangs in Jakarta in an effort to uncover names. What follows is a twisted plot of shifting alliances, as our hero navigates the underworld while punching, kicking, kneeing, and elbowing everything that gets in his way.

While the first film was confined to a single location with lots of closed in fights, this is all out, balls to the wall action that has little boundaries. And none of it is very pretty either. While stylized, this film continues the bone crunching, hard hitting, blood shedding violence of the first one. There are no soft punches here. There are some moments so hard hitting, you'll have expletives leaking out of your mouth. And once again, the true hero here is Gareth Evans, who is saving action films with a superior touch. His cinematography is fantastic, as is the editing which adds tension and suspense to every fight. And much like the first film, the action is greatly varied, but different enough from the first film that it never feels like we've seen it all before. Opening up the film to an entire city, we get a fantastic car chase scene and several changes of scenery. These are some of the most memorable action scenes captured on film, ones you will keep thinking about as you leave the theater.

But beyond this, a lot of other things have improved as well. The plot, while not all that original, does make strides in having some complexity and making Rama more sympathetic. For as brutal as the first film was, this film truly makes it seem like Rama isn't entirely safe. Yes, we believe he will win all his fights, but not without shedding some serious blood. It gets to the point that we're not entirely sure he'll survive in the end. But Rama is still a complete badass and every bit the action hero, but still coming off as more human than the average hero.

My one, minor gripe with the film is the pacing. The film is about an hour longer than the first one, with about as much action. This gives for a bit of a slow down. But again, that's a minor complaint. There's still more than enough fantastic action. Here's to hoping there's more Raid films in the future. This is, as far as I am concerned, a near perfect action film and I can't get enough. So bring on The Raid 3!
20 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best fighting scenes, ever
superindra16 March 2014
Luckily I got a special screening invitation for The Raid 2 yesterday. This is the first time The Raid 2 screened in Indonesia.

At beginning, the movie is a little bit slow and you might get confused if you haven't watched the first movie. But, when the fighting begins you wouldn't have the time to leave your seat. After every fighting scene, many audiences clap their hands with satisfaction in the theater.

Every fighting scene in this movie is an ART. The prison fight, the train fight, the car chase, and the kitchen fight are all great and memorable. Thus, this movie should become a reference for any action movie in the future. I think this is the movie with the best fighting scenes, ever.

If the first movie is a great action movie, then the sequel has a more complicated story and deeper character development. There are also some emotional moments from the main character. Especially, I think Arifin Putra's acting were quite good, he deserves nomination for best supporting actor.

Simply put, this movie is VERY RECOMMENDED (10/10)
43 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Raid was just an appetizer - this is the main course.
alexdelliott13 April 2014
I watched the first Raid with my friends and found it to be an extremely well made action film. There was not much of a story to get in the way and the action was so well choreographed - proving that you don't need a massive Hollywood budget to make a solidly entertaining film. I saw the second one this weekend expecting to see more of the same. But this is one of those rare occasions where the sequel is superior to the original in every way.

The story follows directly from the ending of The Raid. The protagonist agrees to an undercover mission to infiltrate the criminal underworld. Think Scorsese's The Departed. He gets trapped in a brewing conflict between rival gangs and meets enough colourful characters along the way to make Quentin Tarantino proud. Moreover, the fight scenes are bigger and, generally, even better than the first. Some of them are a little hard to follow as the camera makes it difficult to follow each character but they have been expertly choreographed and blew me away at times. In fact, the film seems to combine Scorsese's storytelling with Tarantino's flare with Indonesian martial arts scenes to create a brilliant mix. I won't spoil the story for anyone but I highly recommend it despite the fact that it may get a little complicated with so many characters and motivations.

By now, you probably have an idea of how this is different from the first. That is to say that there is an actual story. It isn't in one setting and there are so many more complex characters. This may disappoint those looking for a retread of the first Raid because it is just so different but I like the fact that it was different and didn't just try to cash in on the original. They are so different, in fact, that I would say you don't really need to see the first film to be able to follow and enjoy this one. This one definitely takes its time to pick up, allowing the first hour or so for character exposition. But I have no problem with that and, as I said, when the action starts it is every bit as exciting as the first.

I really do recommend this film to anyone who wants to see a real action film without all the Hollywood CGI and for anyone who enjoys Scorsese, Tarantino, or just martial arts or gangster films. There is something here for most people and it comes with my highest recommendation. It makes the first film feel like a prologue to the real film, The Raid 2
14 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Modern Masterpiece of Asian Cinema.
Ray_Whitelaw8 April 2014
Let's get this out of the way first.. I am a 30 something man from South Shields in England. I have never been to Indonesia.

Great.. Conspiracy theories out the window!

This movie is a masterpiece of martial arts cinema and is easily the best thing to be released from Asia in the past 15 years.

Being a fan of the previously released Raid film, specifically due to its relentless overload of close quarters action, I was a little sceptical about the second film's plot expansion and how it would all work.

My worries where in no way realised as this movie combines the abundance of action found in the first film with a well written and executed storyline that is both deep and easy to understand.

Performances from the cast are all round excellent, everyone plays their part and does so with a sense of menace similar to that of old age Asian cinema.

The way the film is shot is at times breathtaking, setting the scene with some fantastic panning shots of pivotal areas and the use of lighting brings these shots to life in beautiful detail. From a snow ridden back alley to a dark and seedy nightclub, everything is realised in such detail that it is hard to ignore what a great job the DOPs have done!

The score is tremendous, building and crashing as the action on screen flows or complementing subtlety a plot developing scene in a restaurant or an office.

Gareth Evans has far exceeded my expectations with this movie and originally I was again sceptical upon reading, prior to seeing this movie, that The Raid 3 would be set 3 hours prior to the conclusion of The Raid 2.. Essentially taking place during the second film.

Now I simply can't wait to see how it all ends.

A true masterpiece of Asian cinema, a must see for anyone who is at all interested in Asian cinema, martial arts or action films.
23 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Raid 2
ahmad-werdhi28 March 2014
The Raid : Redemption was an amazing movie, can't wait this second sequel.

Gareth Huw Evans's The Raid, released in 2012 but already a modern action classic, was a bloody masterpiece of claustrophobic narrative economy. Its simple, video-game-like conceit was that of a Jakarta cop stuck in a giant drug den apartment complex, being attacked by wave after wave of junkies and henchmen as he made his way to the main villains. The Raid 2 opens almost precisely where the first one left off, but then quickly does away with the typical sequel idea of staging the same film in a different environment; it abruptly, almost hilariously broadens its scope. If The Raid took place over a couple of hours, The Raid 2 takes place over years. If The Raid was mostly one guy fighting a bunch of other guys, The Raid 2 is many guys (and one exceptional gal) fighting each other in various head-spinning combinations. If The Raid was a tight, tough, flawlessly executed action flick, The Raid 2, while almost equally amazing, is a diffuse, ambitious, flawed gangster ballet. It's so sprawling that it feels like it could be a series. Maybe it should have been. But the big screen is clearly where such explosive cinema belongs.

Source : http://www.vulture.com
21 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pure art, much improvement over the first film
kkwardhana22 March 2014
I saw the advanced screening at Jakarta. The movie recently premiered in Indonesia a week before. Tried to get the invitation to the premiere but I can't get any.

First off, the action sequence is amazingly improved upon the first film. There's much variety of it, including car chase scenes, gun wars, and also the fight scenes. The scenes pace is very, very fast, like the first film. I was thrilled and finally ended up gasping every time the action scene ends.

Next, the story. I could say that the first film's story is a bit too simplistic (the director said that the first film is "an exercise" before he did this). The Raid 2, well, is giving us a much larger story. It's the "your regular gang wars" story. Maybe with a bit twist. But it is a huge improvement over the first film.

The characters in the film itself has their own background. They could even make a lot of spin off based of its characters. What interests me is the Baseball Bat Guy and Hammergirl's background.

Overall, this is a must watch. Maybe there's a bit of letdown with the pace at the beginning of the film. But it all pays off with all the action scenes.

And Gareth, I'll wait for the third film!
31 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I will never see a fight scene in a movie the same or any better than this!
oldman0077 April 2014
I saw the first Raid, and while I thought the first one was good, with great editing, acting, gore etc, the second one went beyond my expectations.

It starts off with the hero who is hired to bring down the biggest gangster/mafia man in the country...sadly, it will not be that easy. His family is in danger and the whole country is in danger if these gangsters are not stopped soon enough. So, what does the hero do? He goes into prison, pretending to be the bad guy, punching and injuring over a hundred prisoners and guards, trying to earn the gangster's trust. After 2 years in prison, he is released and taken straight to the gang man himself. He wants in, and the gang lord simply lets him join the team. However, with some Japanese gangsters on the loose, and wanting more power, it makes it harder for our hero. With villains like "Base ball Bat man" and "Hammer Girl", it is going to be a very tough match. Can the hero get through the biggest gang war in his whole life? The editing, the acting, the fighting, the car chase scenes, the action is beyond breathtaking and I have never in my life been so breath taken by something like this before. Screw the Die Hard franchise, this will take anyone's breath away, and if it doesn't, then they are liars.

I recommend this to everybody, but possibly not little kids. Forget the kids for one night and prepare to have your breath taken away. The most underrated film on IMDb in my opinion. It deserves way more recognition. I give this action film a 10/10.
22 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Improves on the original by out-doing it in every single way possible
Rebel_With_A_Cause_945 April 2014
I won't lie, when I first saw The Raid I loved it, but honestly it found it to be a bit over-hyped. Maybe it was because I had heard so many great things about it that my expectations were a bit too high, but it was still the best action movie I had seen in a long time at it's release. However, The Raid 2 is one of those rare sequels that actually surpasses the first film in every way possible!

Despite being a sequel, you don't really need to see the first film to understand this one. Aside from the opening scenes and the main character returning, this has absolutely nothing to do with the first film. The story here while nothing original, is an entertaining crime thriller that will hold your attention and is nice to have after the first film was so thin on plot.

But story is not what will be getting audiences into the theater. Of course, it's the action and saying it delivers is an understatement. This film has hands down some of the greatest action sequences ever put on film with everything from hand-to-hand combat to quite possibly the greatest car chase sequence of all time. Even with the amazing action sequences in the first, this puts them to absolute shame. The film does not shy away from the brutality either and all the blood and gore an action fan could want is on display here. You will definitely find yourself cringing in the best way possible at more than a few of the fight scenes. Even at 2.5 hours which had me nervous for a film of this type, it never drags and actually feels about 45 minutes shorter than it actually is.

Believer the hype, The Raid 2 is one of the best action films ever made!
18 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
and I thought the Raid was brilliant
Kelchubordnor12 April 2014
In simple terms this movie takes place 2 hours after the original. Our hero is basically told he has found one little fish and the police want him to go very undercover and weed out the bigger fish. That's essentially the story where Rama is tasked with befriending the big boss's son who is in prison. One of the things I love about this movie is the director appreciates the talent he has available and he uses it. I can picture his direction being "right you know what you can do, have fun and I'll roll the camera and let you guys do your stuff". Simply put that would have worked. There is yet again a lot of brilliant martial arts in this movie, very little gun play compared to the first one, quite honestly this could be a stand alone film. The story is different to the raid but is still great. Only criticism I would consider is that the films a bit long but I did enjoy it so didn't really care. A word of warning this is not a martial arts movie you get the kids to watch it is very brutal the action looks very bloody and the weapon work is very realistic/close quarter. This movie makes a lot of 18 rated films look tame. Enjoy it and if you study martial arts you will love it
16 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.