Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017) Poster

1,542 Reviews
Spider-Man with a fresh twist
TheLittleSongbird20 July 2017
Really enjoyed the first two films, both contained great scenes/action, acting and the two best villains of the films. Was mixed on the third film, which wasn't that bad but suffered mainly from bloat, and was not totally sold on the 'Amazing Spider-Man' films.

Whether 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' is the best 'Spider-Man' film ever is debatable, some may prefer the first two films, others may prefer this. To me, it is the best 'Spider-Man' film since the second and on par with the first two. It may not have taken as many risks or had sequences/action as memorable as the first two films, and for more of an origin story it's best to stick with the first two films. For a fresh twist on 'Spider-Man' and the superhero genre, 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' (one of Marvel's best to date) more than fits the bill.

'Spider-Man: Homecoming' is not quite the masterpiece as proclaimed to me and maybe not quite as good as the acclaim, but personally can totally see why it is loved so much and that it deserves all the positivity it's received. It has a couple of faults, Liz is a bland and underwritten character and Laura Harrier does nothing with the character. Flash also could have been much more intimidating in demeanour and physicality, for a bully one is not intimidated, pretty anaemic actually and even annoying at times.

Much more could have been done with Spider-Man's powers and how he got around, they could have been better used, being not used enough, and of better quality.

However, 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' looks great. Slick, stylish with bold, atmospheric use of colour and mostly top-notch special effects. Michael Giacchino pens yet another winner of a music score, both rousing and hypnotic with also an intensity and emotional undercurrent.

It's a remarkably well scripted film too. It has some hilarious and rarely forced humour (namely from Ned and Michelle, both of whom should have been annoying but were refreshing scene-stealing comic relief), poignancy and tension. The story works well as a superhero story, with great chemistry between Peter and Tony Stark and a terrific scene in a car with our hero and Vulture, and even more so as an affectionate and easy to relate to coming of age and trying-to-fit-in story. The action is kept at minimum but what there is is fun and suspenseful, even if there were sequences and climaxes more memorable in the first two films.

A risk was taken having Jon Watts in the director's chair, but luckily inexperience doesn't show, there is a great sense of visual style and momentum is kept taut. A great cast also helps, with Tom Holland doing a wonderful job in the complex dual role, both roles are easy to relate to and he differentiates the two personalities of nerdy, awkward high school deadline and charismatic head-line-making superhero with remarkable ease.

Michael Keaton, fresh from giving two of his best performances in years in 'Birdman' and 'Spotlight', is also superb as Vulture, a refreshingly different and more complex villain than most Marvel villains, a menacing villain but with a humane side with a far less generic motivation than one would find in other Marvel films and doesn't feel underused. A villain that one is intimidated by but also feel sorry for. Marissa Tomei seemed bizarre casting on paper but she is very charming actually and fits well.

Robert Downey Jnr brings charismatic intensity and authority to Tony Stark, Jon Favreau is fun while Jacob Batalon and Zendaya are refreshing comic relief.

Overall, very good, often great and very nearly outstanding (which it would have been if more care was given to a few of the supporting characters). 8/10 Bethany Cox
13 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Highly Entertaining Action Film
Michael_Elliott8 November 2017
Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)

*** (out of 4)

Another highly entertaining entry into the Marvel universe has Peter Parker (Tom Holland) trying to find a balance between his high school years and wanting to join The Avengers as Spider-Man. While all of this is going on Vulture (Michael Keaton) is creating some high tech and dangerous weapons to sell on the streets.

SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING seemed to get a lot of mixed reviews but I personally thought it was very entertaining and in fact I thought it was much better than WONDER WOMAN. What's amazing is that this is the third reboot of this series going back to the Sam Raimi films and it's really amazing that the studio keeps managing to get the perfect casts to pull the stories off. This film not only works as a very good action movie but I thought the teenage drama stuff worked quite nicely as well.

As I stated, the performances here really help make the film as entertaining as it is. The performance by Holland was excellent and I thought he was perfect during the scenes where the character is actually being a nerd and conflicted with various emotions. Keaton was also wonderful in his role as he perfectly played the villain. Robert Downey, Jr. could sleepwalk in his role as Tony Stark but he's always fun as is Jon Favreau in his part. Donald Glover and Bokeem Woodbine were also very good as was Laura Harrier as the love interest. Marisa Tomei looks great but she's a bit too young for her role as Aunt May. Even Jacob Batalon adds nice comic relief.

The action scenes are all highly exciting and it's the perfect use of CGI. I'm not a CGI fan but there's no question that it mixes in perfectly well with the rest of the footage. I'd also argue that the story itself was quite good in regards to everything going wrong in Parker's personal life and I thought the screenplay perfectly handled his emotions of trying to balance everything. Technically the film is very impressive from start to finish and there are some truly great scenes scattered throughout the picture.

SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING is certainly one of the better action pictures of recent years and it's highly recommended.
11 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Too much Spider-Man...
Leofwine_draca9 June 2019
HOMECOMING is the latest Spider-Man movie; given that no less than five other Spider-Man movies came out in the 15 years preceding this one, you can forgive audiences (and myself) for being a bit fatigued of the character. While I did like the Raimi trilogy (mainly as a fan of the director), I thought the Andrew Garfield reboots were terrible. The good news is that HOMECOMING, which ties the character in to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, is better than those, although still not great.

Spider-Man still has the problem of being one of the more annoying Marvel superheroes, and all of the high school stuff is by now a chore to sit through. The film smacks of cliche at times (I can't quite belief that the Asian-American guy is reduced to the comic relief best friend role) while the action is rather routine. The running time is overlong too, although the CGI effects remain as good as you'd expect. Tom Holland is okay but a bit bland and earnest in the lead role, with the stand-out being Michael Keaton, underused but remaining hugely entertaining to watch.
15 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
fun comic book fare
SnoopyStyle29 September 2017
Salvager Adrian Toomes (Michael Keaton) holds a grudge against Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) after his takeover of the Battle of New York cleanup. Toomes kept some of the Chitauri tech to create new weapons. Eight years later after the events of Civil War, Peter Parker (Tom Holland) returns to his school, Midtown School of Science and Technology. He lives with his sought-after aunt May (Marisa Tomei). He has a crush on classmate Liz. His best friend Ned discovers his secret identity Spider-Man. There is also the sarcastic academic teammate Michelle (Zendaya).

This is fun. It's got the comic book action. It weaves into the MCU with ease. RDJ has a supporting role which is more than a simple cameo. This definitely has the John Hughes vibe. It's nice light fun in this overarching comics universe. Holland is a great teen Spider-man as he showed in Civil War. The young cast is terrific and Keaton is an awesome villain. Keaton has real depth which is built over the years. His humanity creates more than a comic book villain. The surprise connection hits it out of the park. This is simply a good movie.
7 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What Are the Rules?
Hitchcoc15 July 2017
Since I'm seeing this movie as a layperson, not one at the altar of the comic book gods, I'm evaluating it from that standpoint. I've seen most of the Marvel films and have had a level of enjoyment. I love the special effects but most of all getting to know the humanity of the principles. The better the story lines the better the movie. Here, Peter Parker is kind of a cliché as a teenager. Still, he is fun and a bit dense. If I have an issue, it is his over confidence at times. For one with his gifts he can be quite naive. We have numerous moments when everything could explode but he manages to escape detection. I have to say that I'm growing tired of the physical confrontations, the violent fights. When two foes can't seem to harm each other no matter what they do, it actually gets a little dull. Still, I think this film bodes well for the future. One of the better. Oh, Michael Keaton lights up the screen.
6 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The webslinger returns..... again
Prismark105 April 2018
You know you are getting old when you start fancying Aunty May! Then again actress Marisa Tomei is only a few years older than me.

Spiderman has been rebooted again but at least we are spared another origins story. With close interaction with the Marvel universe, Tom Holland having debuted in Captain America: Civil War now has his own standalone film with Iron Man and Captain America popping up here and there.

Holland's Peter Parker is an overexcitable teenager pestering Tony Stark to let him become an Avenger. Stark gives him an all tech Spidey suit as well as the services of Happy Hogan.

The bad guy is The Vulture/Adrian Toomes played by Michael Keaton, a salvage contractor that cleans up alien artifacts that has been put out of business by Stark's companies. Now he uses alien technology for nefarious means such as heists and that puts him on a collision course with Spiderman. However Parker does not realise how close to home Toomes really is.

The film never really soared for me, I think I was put off by the bored looking Jon Favreau playing Happy Hogan and maybe they should had toned down the appearances of Tony Stark who is in it a bit too much.

There were some nice set pieces such as Spiderman saving his schoolmates from the Washington Monument. It was fun seeing Keaton as the Vulture after the actor hit the limelight again by playing Birdman but I did not think much of the villain apart from an honest man who became a leader of a bunch of thugs.
11 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Overrated, Boring, Unfunny, Annoying Lead Actor, Nothing Works for an Adult
claudio_carvalho21 October 2017
"Spider-Man: Homecoming" is the worst Spider Man ever made, totally overrated, long, boring and unfunny. The annoying lead actor Tom Holland, has an irritating tone of voice. The screenplay and the actor unsuccessfully try to be funny, but unfortunately nothing works in this film that looks like a spoof, at least for an adult. My vote is one (awful).

Title (Brazil): "Homem-Aranha: De Volta ao Lar" ("Spider-Man: Homecoming")
55 out of 108 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyable, entertaining, and slick with plenty to engage
bob the moo24 March 2018
I watched this film a day or so after watching Wonder Woman, a film which had disappointed by how meh it all was throughout. I came into this one expecting it to be yet another by-the-numbers superhero film, but was reminded by it how well Marvel have delivered their franchise. By all rights, this film should be a disaster. It is the third reboot of the character in recent years, it is part of a massive infrastructure of characters and stories, and it enters a very heavily saturated marketplace. How then does it manage to seem so effortless in what it does?

I'm not sure but it benefits from the confidence that all the other films in the franchise do. It sets out its stall well, doesn't waste time on an origin story even though it does start early with its character. It has a solid plot with interesting characters, and produces lots of good action with humor throughout. It is an entertaining film that justifies the cost, and unlike Wonder Woman, the effects are consistently impressive and seem natural. It is a bit too slick and polished at times; some jokes and elements are a bit too knowing for example, and the cast has far too many recognizable faces in it that really only deliver a few lines. All of it has a quality feel, but at times it does feel a bit too manufactured within an inch of its life. Well worth seeing though, and yet another enjoyable film in the Marvel universe.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You're that Spider guy
nogodnomasters20 July 2017
This is the sequel to the Avenger film which briefly introduced a geeky Spider-Man and not a sequel to the one where they killed off Emma Stone. I apologize if you haven't seen that one yet. Peter Parker (Tom Holland) is now in NYC and is crushing on Liz (Laura Harrier) who is crushing on Spider-Man...like the Lois Lane thing, but add in High School and teen angst. Spider-Man has a contact man for the Avengers, ironically named Happy (Jon Favreau). Through a mishap, his identity is discovered by a geek friend (Jacob Batalon) who becomes his "chair man." Spider-Man is not yet part of the Avengers as of this time and is still semi-separate from them. The film gives him a powerful enemy (Michael Keaton) but not too powerful, i.e. someone within Spider-man's wheelhouse.

The ending was slightly unexpected and we find out that Gwyneth Paltrow is not dead. Stan Lee cameo near the beginning.

Guide: No sex or nudity. Frequent use of the word "penis" as in 'Penis Parker." A cut WTF at the end.
25 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disguises
kosmasp4 September 2017
Obviously this plays in the Marvel Universe, so for a complete understanding it does not hurt to have seen a couple of other movies. Especially the Iron Man ones. But and that is important, even if this is the first one you're watching you won't be disappointed. And as you can see by the general rating, I'm not alone with this statement.

So taking an 80s classic and putting a Spiderman costume on it ... well you get this as a result. It's a pretty solid movie and having the blueprint of a classic injected you can see why this works. It allows for something far more than just a superhero movie. I have to admit I was skeptical with Spiderman in the previous let's call it cameo he did in the Captatin America movie. It seemed like he was belittled. Even the fact that Iron Man was going to be in this one seemed like taking away the spotlight from the man (boy) who's supposed to be the star.

But all of it was worries that never really manifested. Actually we have a Spiderman who walked the thin line Toby Maguire couldn't in Spiderman 3 not so long ago. Of course that wasn't entirely Tobys fault (script issues, producers influence and so forth). But it all lead to this moment, so let's take the positive ... and enjoy! Also do I have to point out there are scenes in and after the credits? The one after the credits - well let's say you'll either love it or hate it. I loved it!
7 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"If you're nothing without the suit, you shouldn't have it."
classicsoncall7 August 2017
This is the first Marvel super-hero movie I've seen that appeared to be geared to a young teenage market rather than a general audience one. For perspective, I'm a senior citizen myself, so it's probably obvious that I see it that way, but I never got the same impression with Spider-Man movies in the past. Could be all the high school scenes pointed me in that direction, but I didn't get the sense that this was a movie for adults.

The character of Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) in this one bothered me too. It wasn't the arrogance so much because that's what the Stark persona is all about. If anything, Iron Man's alter-ego seemed almost wishy-washy to me, considering how he went back and forth on his relationship with Peter Parker (Tom Holland). He upbraided Parker for having doubts about being Spider-Man (see my summary line above), wasn't that upset when Peter decided against joining The Avengers, then backtracked again after the battle with The Vulture (Michael Keaton). I guess I'm saying he should have been more consistent in his attitude.

Having read about three dozen other reviews for this film, one thing that surprised me was how no one else has mentioned the startling similarity between Keaton's Vulture and the character he portrayed in 2014's Best Picture "Birdman". It was the first thing I thought about when I saw Keaton appear as the film's villain. The interesting aspect to the story for me had to do with the human dynamic between Adrian Toomes and Peter Parker, each one knowing the alter-ego of the other, thereby adding resonance to Parker's teenage angst over the relationship with Toomes' daughter who Peter had an eye for.

Great to see Stan Lee once again in a Marvel film cameo. he was the tenement dweller looking out the window and commenting on the commotion below, stating "Don't make me come down there, you punk." At the age of ninety four, the guy's still got plenty of spark.
2 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Spider-Man: Homecoming
jboothmillard15 July 2017
Tobey Maguire came first and pulled it off, Andrew Garfield came second and sort of took it backwards, then finally the web-slinging hero made his debut alongside the other Avengers in Captain America: Civil War, so of course he would get his new solo movie soon after, expectations were high. Basically following the Battle of New York, Adrian Toomes (Michael Keaton) and his salvage company are contracted to clean up the city, but the Department of Damage Control (D.O.D.C.), owned by Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.), takes over the operation. Before being stopped, Toomes and his team scavenged Chitauri technology, enraged being out of business, Toomes persuades his employees the keep and use these to create and sell advanced weaponry. Eight years later, Stark drafts Peter Parker aka Spider-Man (The Impossible's Tom Holland) into the Avengers to help with an internal dispute, but following the airport fight, Stark does not feel Parker is ready to become a full Avenger, so Parker resumes his studies at the Midtown School of Science and Technology. Parker quits his school's academic decathlon team to spend more time focusing on his crime-fighting activities as Spider-Man. One night, Parker prevents criminals robbing an ATM, using their advanced weaponry, after which he returns to his Queens apartment, where his best friend Ned (Jacob Batalon) discovers his secret identity. On another night, Parker nearly drowns intervening in a business deal, where Toomes' associates Jackson Brice aka Shocker (Logan Marshall- Green) and Herman Schultz (Bokeem Woodbine) are selling weapons to local criminal Aaron Davis (Donald Glover), Stark as Iron Man rescues him, he has been monitoring him with the Spider-Man suit he gave him, Stark warns Parker getting involved with dangerous criminals. Toomes accidentally kills Brice with one of the advanced weapons, Schultz becomes the new Shocker, Brice left behind a weapon, Parker and Ned study it and remove its power core, Parker rejoins the decathlon team as they travel to Washington, D.C., with the real agenda to follow a tracking device on Schultz, leading to Maryland. Ned and Parker disable the tracker Stark implanted in the Spider-Man suit, while Parker unlocks its advanced features, with the help of A.I. voice Karen (Jennifer Connelly). Parker tries to stop Toomes, as the Vulture, in a technologically advanced mechanical flying suit, from stealing weapons from a D.O.D.C. truck, but Parker is overpowered and trapped inside the truck, causing him to miss the decathlon national tournament. Parker races to races to the Washington Monument when he discovers the power core is an unstable Chitauri grenade, it explodes and traps Ned and their friends in an elevator, Spider-Man evades the authorities and saves his friends, including his fellow classmate and crush Liz (Laura Harrier). Returning to New York City, Spider-Man confronts Davis, who reveals Toomes' whereabouts, Parker is able to capture Toomes' new buyer Mac Gargan (Michael Mando) aboard the Staten Island Ferry, but Toomes escapes and a malfunctioning weapon tears the ferry in half, the passengers are saved with the help of Iron Man, but Stark is angered by Parker's recklessness and takes away the Spider- Man suit. Parker returns to his high school life, and eventually asks Liz to the homecoming dance, on the night of the dance he is shocked to discover Liz's father is Toomes, he in turn deduces Parker's secret identity, he threatens retaliation is he interferes with his plans. During the dance, the Avengers Tower is being emptied ready to move to the new headquarters, Parker realises Toomes plans to hijack a D.O.D.C. plane transporting weapons from the tower. Parker dons his old homemade Spider-Man suit, he is ambushed by Schultz at Toomes' lair, he defeats him with the help of Ned, Toomes then destroys the building's support beams and leaves Parker to die. Parker escapes the rubble, intercepts the D.O.D.C. plane, causing it to crash near Coney Island, Parker and Toomes fight, it ends with Parker saving Toomes from his own unstable equipment, he is left for the police, along with the plane's cargo. In the end Liz moves away after her father is arrested, Parker is invited by Stark to join the Avengers full time, he declines, but Stark returns his Spider-Man suit, Peter's Aunt May (Marisa Tomei) walks in just as he is putting his suit on., while in prison Toomes purposely denies to Gargan that he knows Spider-Man's real identity. Also starring Jon Favreau as Happy Hogan, Gwyneth Paltrow as Pepper Potts, Zendaya as Michelle, Tony Revolori as Flash, Tyne Daly as Anne Marie Hoag, Kenneth Choi as Principal Morita, Chris Evans as Steve Rogers / Captain America and Stan Lee as Gary. British actor Holland proves the perfect choice to play the spirited and wise-cracking hero, Keaton does well as the villain, Downey Jr. is good supporting the lead hero, and there is good support from Tomei and Favreau, I think Zendaya deserves the biggest mention, brilliant comic relief as the hilariously snidey classmate. The story is clever, connecting the Avengers movies seen previously, there is no need to go into a Spider-Man origins story, it just gets straight to point, where the hero is trying to prove himself and save people whenever possible, and the special effects combined with exciting set pieces are fantastic, a most impressive superhero fantasy action adventure. Very good!
3 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Oh joy, another Spider-Man movie...
paul_haakonsen30 December 2018
Right, well another year and another superhero movie, seems about the turn of the mill these recent years. Was I thrilled when this movie was announced? No. Did I stand in line to watch it in the cinema? No.

Well, I watched "Spider-Man: Homecoming" solely because I had the chance, not because it was a pressing matter on my 'movies-to-watch' list.

So did the world really need another Spider-Man movie? Well, not really, not if you ask me. And all this rebooting is just to the point of being ridiculous. Did we need a new actor to play Spider-Man? Hardly so.

That being said, then I will say that Tom Holland actually fared well enough in the role as Peter Parker and Spider-Man. However, it was such a thrill and a blast to watch Michael Keaton in the movie, he was really so well-cast for the villain role and did so magnificently. His character was rather fun and interesting, and wore a cool outfit. However, I can't claim to be much fan of the high-tech Spider-Man outfit, however.

"Spider-Man: Homecoming" turned out to be fun and entertaining, but at the same time it was just another run of the mill superhero movie in my opinion. There was a little bit too much focus on how much destruction Spider-Man could muster in this movie, which made the movie feel a bit campy and corny.

Being a Marvel movie, you know that you are in for a treat in the special effects department. And sure enough, the Marvel camp delivered a movie cramped with amazing special effects and superb CGI.

Hardly a movie that I will watch a second time around, but then again that is how I feel about all superhero movies.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Raimi's Spidey is still the best (not including Part 3).
BA_Harrison4 July 2019
I had a reasonably fun time with Spiderman Homecoming, but I have a few big issues that prevent me from loving it...

Firstly, Peter Parker's vulnerability/invulnerability. There's a scene where Spiderman bangs his head on the roof of a truck, knocking himself unconscious, yet later on in the film, a couple of tons of concrete and steel land on the lad's head with no lasting damage. Not long after, Peter falls to the ground from a crashing jet (presumably travelling at a couple of hundred miles an hour) and gets up without a problem. Concussion one minute, indestructible the next!

Spiderman's strength is inconsistent too: Peter is holding together two halves of the Staten Island ferry in one scene, but later he is struggling to free himself from some rubble.

I also have a problem with The Avengers' very lax approach to shifting their equipment to new premises: Happy (Jon Favreau) loads all of the Avenger's weapons/armour onto an unmanned aircraft - not one person to guard it. Of course, this suited the plot, but it was extremely daft. Surely a couple of superheroes could have taken time out from saving the world to escort the precious cargo.

Last moan: did Spidey really need a high-tech suit equipped with AI and special assault modes? I thought Spiderman relied on Spidey sense.

On a more positive note, I enjoyed Peter's trials and tribulations at high-school, and thought that the twist revelation about the true identity of Vulture was well handled (I didn't see it coming). The special effects are, as always, very impressive, and Director Jon Watts handles the action well enough, but Sam Raimi needn't worry: his first two Spiderman movies remain the best.
21 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Yet another take on the Spider Man story, just a bit too manic for my tastes.
TxMike12 November 2017
My wife and I watched this at home on DVD from our public library.

I read Spider Man comics growing up and really enjoyed the Toby Maguire version in 2002, the origin story was treated well and to me Maguire was the ideal actor to play Peter Parker and Spider Man.

This reincarnation uses British actor Tom Holland in the lead role. He is fine, his American accent is very good, sounding much like Michael J Fox in the BTTF movies. He is suitably small and young-looking to play a high school teenager. As this story starts he has had some experience with the Avengers and wants more. Tony Stark (Downey Jr.) is his mentor.

What I don't like is how Peter is cast as an often silly kid who always seems to be in some mess or the other. And when the action scenes are on they are very manic, to the point where the special effects become primary, the story secondary. Plus the several prior movies have better actors creating more interesting characters.

Still, we were entertained, but you can't help comparing them to the ones that came before and when I do, this one doesn't measure up.
4 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
does a lot as a friendly neighborhood mega-franchise; one of the better 'reboots'
Quinoa19848 July 2017
For the most part, if you were among those that saw Spider-Man/Peter Parker appear in Civil War and found him entertaining and, more to the point, *right* as that character and icon, then you will like him all the more in his first movie in this iteration. It's amazing to think that this is the sixth Spider-Man movies in 15 years, and yet this is the first in over a decade that understands this character, in large part making close to the comic books (I haven't read them religiously, but it seems to follow pretty close to the Ultimate run at the least, if not others). I don't know if every action scene is terribly original, but every one has massive stakes for Parker, and yet at the same time they're not the usual apocalyptic, end-of-the-world scenarios that sometimes can make a super-hero movie feel too big, even if the stakes are still strong. Everything is down to the personal here with Parker, and even more than the Raimi movies these get right the high school, awkward teenager part of Parker down pat.

Now, was this all even necessary? I don't know, and that may be cause for debate among people for a long time. I got to look at what's put in front of me to say whether it works or not as its own thing; the previous try by Sony to get Spider-Man back into theaters after getting rid of Raimi, Amazing Spider-Man, felt tired and had its moments amid a very spotty story. I'm not even sure if it's necessarily that Marvel Studios *solely* could have brought Parker et al back, or then some, to former glory, but I think with Civil War being the dipping of the toes into the pool and this being the big dive and 1000-meter lap, that they got it right as they could. It all comes down to what makes any of these gigantic corporate products work, regardless of if it's Marvel or DC or whoever: are the actors convincing enough to bring the characters to life, and does the writing do right by them with a story that makes sense and characters that give them something to do?

Holland found just the right note in Civil War as like a half of the time innocent-looking puppy of a teenager, the kind that we almost don't want to see get hurt, vulnerable and caring and showing the conflicts so perfectly that Parker has to deal with everyday in his balance as just a regular kid in extraordinary circumstances... but, other half of the time, he can certainly mouth-off and be convincing in that way that Spider-Man just was int the comics (that doesn't mean the comics are sacrosanct or anything, that they *had* to do that to get it right, it's merely to point that this Parker is a wise-ass but funny as hell at doing it, even down to a moment in a montage early on when he stops a guy stealing a bike). Meanwhile, the writers give Parker a best-friend/comic relief, a tired trope that feels totally revitalized here because a) the kid he's paired with is wonderfully dead-pan and yet excitable (kudos to Jacob Batalon as Ned Leeds getting it right), and b) he proves himself useful... maybe oddly, a lot, conveniently useful for a teenager, but I can suspend disbelief for a little while.

And then there's Keaton; is he used properly, given how damn talented he is? Yes, but only up to a point. There's some moments, like a very tense exchange with the hero in a car, that have a crisp intensity that Keaton can just turn on as if it's nothing. Other times, he's having to work more in what the plot requires, and under his Vulture get-up - obviously, without question, right, a meta-comment in an ironic way regarding BIRDMAN - we don't get to see as much of it. It's in the third act he gets to flex his chops the most, without saying exactly why it's a wonderful twist that we don't see coming but makes sense. Even when he is in the midst of certain story continuity things (an 8 year jump is a bit odd, but again, we try to let it go on q first watch), he is... Michael Keaton. He's a lot of fun to watch.

It's hard I think for me to fully analyze this right away as some profound work of art that may have more depth that needs a dive in. That may be all good now for the Raimi movies, but that's looking back over a decade. This is still too fresh, and the only thing I can say is that the writing of the story if 90% of it all tight and gives Parker and Spider-Man a solid, if a little predictable, arc as far as his hero's journey, and the dialog is consistently comedic. I found myself laughing far more than in any previous Spider-Man entry, and that's the key to its success: it knows it's silly in a way, or at least Parker recognizes it, and while the MCU is known for doing that (this year with GotG most of all), this feels even sillier. It knows it. We are let in on the fun. Despite any nitpicks and misgivings, and there are more I won't mention (one involving a character reveal that is right out of, of all things, Dark Knight Rises), it's among the better summer blockbusters in years because of that. 8.5/10
18 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Spider-Man: Homecoming is another worthy entry in yet another reboot of the movie series
tavm12 July 2017
With this entry, Spider-Man is once again rebooted. No origin story this time which is as well since anyone knows how he came to be if they read the comics or at least Wikipedia. Tom Holland is suitably youngish being the high school student Peter Parker originally was and remained for a while during his creation. Nice splashes of humor throughout during even some of the more serious scenes. Awesome seeing Michael Keaton-former Batman portrayer-playing a main villain this time in a superhero movie. Oh, and yes, Stan Lee makes another of his cameos in a MCU movie! Also, there's a scene after the main closing credits and another one after the final end of them. In summary, Spider-Man: Homecoming is worth it to watch for die-hard fans!
2 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun and mischievous
Gordon-1124 July 2017
This film tells the story of a young man who is selected by Tony Stark to be the trainee Spiderman. As he is desperate to prove himself, he runs into more trouble than he ever imagined. Soon, he appears to be out of his depth.

"Spider-Man: Homecoming" reminds me of "Deadpool" because of its light hearted atmosphere, and Peter's mischievous demeanour. The fact that Peter is in observation and training provides a good background to the mischief, otherwise I think it might have proved to be a little annoying. Spiderman is not the almighty hero, but someone who has the potential to be. It is nice to see a cameo from Captain America, and it creates a seamless transition for Spiderman from a standalone franchise to integrating into the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
2 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Here we go again
studioAT29 November 2017
Another reboot?! After three Toby Maguire fronted films (two of which I thought were great) and two with Andrew Garfield (that were OK, nothing special) in the lead it seemed very odd that Marvel would reboot the franchise yet again.

Sadly for me third time is not the charm, and this film verges on being a bit silly and dare I say it pointless.

Everyone gives decent enough performances, and its nice that it's more of a teen film, but having sat through better Spiderman films, this one seems to come up short.
19 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Spoiler
bevo-136786 August 2021
Ok I think I've worked it out now. Peter parker IS Spider-Man.
10 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Spidey goes from strength to strength...
CinemaSerf24 December 2020
Once again, Marvel have succeeded in reinventing this franchise - and again, they have alighted on a Brit. Tom Holland is a super choice as our hero - he has oodles of on-screen charisma; he genuinely looks like he can't believe he is there half the time, and that all helps to make for an enjoyable fantasy adventure film. This time, he has to learn to master his spidey-senses (with a bit of help from "Tony Stark" (Robert Downey Jnr.) and the very rarely "Happy Hogan" (John Favreau)) before Michael Keaton - equipped with wings and a seriously powerful ray gun destroys all in his path. The performances are top drawer; the script is quickly paced with plenty of action, determination, humour and the slightest hint of menace, and the cleverly designed effects blend seamlessly into the action creating a thoroughly entertaining film. It is a bit too long, to be honest - but the casting is good, the direction tight and the whole thing a good family watch with a little bit for everyone.
14 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Inconsistent & Irritatingly "PC" Post-Modern Reboot of Marvel's #1 Super-Star
LeonLouisRicci26 October 2017
There are almost as Many Spider-Man Costumes as Writers (6) in this Homecoming for Marvel's Biggest Super-Star. Spider-Man has, since His Creation by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko in 1962, always been Marvel's Fan-Favorite. He is to Marvel what Batman is to DC.

So it's Not Surprising that the Web-Slinger has had so Many Incarnations. The Low-Budget TV Show from the 1970's, the Cartoons, Sam Rami's Great Trilogy, and the 2 "Amazings", that Failed to get a Third Act with Andrew Garfield.

So now in the MCU there is this Tom Holland "Reboot" with Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.) along for Support as a Mentor. Jon Favreau is also on the Sidelines as "Happy" who does absolutely Nothing for the Film and Favreau Sleepwalks and seems to be almost Comatose.

Holland is Effervescent and Effective, Fittingly Befuddled as the Teen-Aged "Spidey" and Charms well enough. Michael Keaton as the Villainous "Vulture" is on His Game as an Outstanding Foe.

Sexy Aunt Mae (Marisa Tomei) has as Few Scenes and Captain America (Chris Evans) Pops Up in Televised PSA Announcements.

"Patience" is Required for the Seasoned and Die-Hard Spider-Man Fans because the First Act of the Film Suffers from Lame Humor, PC Requirements, and an Overweight-Ethnic Sidekick than can Grate on the Nerves Non-Stop. The Movie is so Obviously "PC" it Detracts.

The Second and Third Acts Kick In and the Movie is Much, Much Better with a Twist that is Terrifying and Action Sequences that are Up to Marvel Standards.

Overall, it is Entertaining and Energetic but is somewhat Overloaded with Unnecessary Inclusions; Instructional Ingredients Presented as Tailored, Tolerance Tutoring for Younger Viewers.

The Costume Upgrades may have some Purists Moaning and Groaning, but it is Acceptable in a Post-Modern Paradigm Programmed by Computers.
4 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Holland Tunnel
writers_reign14 July 2017
I saw the very first Spider Man entry with Toby McGuire and Kirsten Dunst and whilst I enjoyed it I wasn't so enamored to watch any others until this current release which attracted excellent reviews. From minute one it was obvious that a lot had gone on in those other Spider Mans because it was barely the same Peter Parker/Spider-Man I met all those years ago. For one thing a lot is made of an outfit called The Avengers, which seems to be a group of superheroes bent on saving the planet and of which Spider-Man is a member. Then he has a 'mentor' in the shape of Robert Downey jnr, a 'special' friend best described as a nerd and has a crush on a Black schoolmate, so much for the Kirsten Dunst character. It seems evident that the last two or three Spider-Man movies are not so much stand-alones as sequential so I can only comment on this entry as something I only partly 'got'. Having said that it was reasonably entertaining if not (to me) as compelling as the original.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Spider-Man 3.0
view_and_review30 April 2018
As a solo character Spider-Man has definitely gotten more play than any other Marvel character. The X-Men have had more movies overall but there are more of them as well.

This version of Spider-Man is better than the Amazing Spider-Man but not quite as good as Toby McGuire's. They got back to the roots of Spider-Man being an awkward teenage nerd as opposed to this hip and witty Peter Parker that was featured in The Amazing Spider-Man.

The movie was too derivative of Spider-Man 2002. The nemesis used a contraption to fly and something else that I don't want to give away. But truly this movie had an uphill climb simply because we've seen Spidey so much. There were five movies preceding this one where we've seen what the webslinger can do. How would this movie top those?

It didn't. Tom Holland did a good enough job. He's younger looking, dorkier and even has a teenage voice to go with it but we've seen all of his stunts already. Having Iron Man make a cameo certainly helped but it couldn't completely save it. This was an alright movie but really it didn't have to be made.
2 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Welcome home
TBJCSKCNRRQTreviews9 July 2017
Being a teenager is hard. So's making a good movie about that existence, and this is thankfully the exception. If you have superpowers, and you think you could escape your awkward, meandering high school(which this one is actually about, only took 6 tries... and 1 for the MCU) life, yet can't seem to make it, it's all the more difficult. Peter Parker(Holland, awed, spot-on) is struggling to balance it all. When The Vulture(Keaton, psychopathic and sometimes charming, complex, one of the franchise's great villains), a gun-runner, starts moving product made up of alien tech left over by fights involving The Avengers, our lead knows he has to stop him.

Spider-Man has finally gotten justice on the big screen. In a solo piece, I mean – his Civil War scenes nailed it, as well. You'd think there'd be no way we could get into another adventure with the wall-crawler. 5 times in 12 years?! How to even make it distinct? For one thing, we're spared the origin everyone already knows. "With great power comes great responsibility" isn't said, it's communicated non-verbally, as it remains a major theme. The logically limited(how could you swing if there's nothing tall around?) powers are now enhanced by gadgets, without it becoming an Iron Man film. Tony(Downey Jr., witty, and funny in his discomfort with the role of mentor) doesn't take over. The trailers show most of the bits he's in, and he doesn't fight alongside the webhead. Humor is a focus, without it feeling desperate. The cast are likable, other than, of course, Flash, re-imagined as a rich kid. While Liz(Harrier, sweet, smart, driven) is no Gwen, she definitely isn't a Mary Jane either, and, hey, not every major female character needs to be that active in saving the day. Too Disney, Nickelodeon, excessive collateral damage(especially considering that Stark takes most of it in stride, despite what happened between him and Steve)? Some will think so, and I can see why.

I recommend this to everyone. Yes, you read that right. If you can enjoy any movie, give this one a chance. 8/10
18 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.