The Apology (2022) Poster

(II) (2022)

Offers No Surprises
johnnyhbtvs2717 December 2022
The Apology is a dark thriller just released on Shudder starring Anna Gunn & Linus Roache. It has a promising opening and a good tense 30 minutes but ultimately loses itself in the third act.

The film is fine but doesn't really offer much in the way of surprises and the subject matter just kind of plods along. By the end, i was just pretty bored.

Janeane Garofalo improves any movie she's in and has made a career of stealing the movies with the limited screen time she gets. Here, Garofalo doesn't really do much and it's a shame she's wasted so badly.

For a movie of it's kind, The Apology goes nowhere and really, there isn't much point watching. A quick plot summary will tell you all that happens and it never veers from the course. Disappointing.
28 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Apology (But not really)
fredrik-m-987-84535317 December 2022
I was looking forward to watching a new movie with Anna Gunn as one of the main characters. I always thought she was absolutely amazing in Breaking Bad. However, there was not much she could do with this script. The movie is pretty short but it feels like it drags on for way too long. It started off pretty decent but the whole thing goes down the drain around the midway.

I can live with the fact that the script was very predictable. When Jack knocks on the door everyone with half a brain knows why he's actually there. However, Jack comes to apologize and make amendments but proceeds to lie until the bitter end about exactly what happened to Darlenes daughter. He then goes completely crazy wanting to kill both Darlene and her neighbor Gretchen and refuses to be recorded. It doesn't make any sense. It made me ask why he would bother to come knocking in the first place.

The movie is a bit of a mess and in the end i could not help but feeling disappointed.
16 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Predictable and average.
deloudelouvain27 February 2023
The Apology is a cheap movie and by that I don't mean just the budget. Sure it is a low budget movie but there are good low budget movies, unfortunately this isn't one of them. The story is very predictable, not well written in my opinion and the execution was just average. The acting wasn't that great either. Linus Roache, I can't say I'm a big fan of his performance, found it a bit bland and not convincing at all. As for Anna Gunn it was just average as well. Never been a big fan of her either. The Apology is the kind of movie I will forget everything about it by tomorrow and that's a good thing.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gunning It
hazzah11 January 2023
This is a script which seems to have just gone ahead and filmed the second draft.

Anna Gunn; she's good. She's much more thank Skyler White. Jeneane Garafalo is always worthy of a watch - she's completely wasted here. Linus Roache does a great job playing both sleazy and urbane. That's pretty much been his whole career.

But the dialogue- ugh- way too much exposition and it was all delivered so awkwardly. The writer/director just didn't seem to believe the audience could fill in blanks using context or other means.

Perhaps that was something the producers insisted on?? But, audiences are not stupid (for the most part), and we can gather clues ourselves.

If you're looking for a good single-setting drama, there are far worse out there.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Christmas, grief, and drama.
jmbovan-47-16017327 December 2022
This isn't a horror film. It's barely a thriller. This is a generally a two person play they decided to film. The main character is hosting family Christmas after 20 years. She also lost her daughter, 16, 20 years ago who simply disappeared. Her ex-brother-in-law arrives unexpectedly, and this starts the drama. Unfortunately, the drama is a two person morality play of contrived dialogue and weakest of characterizations. This film triggers a lurid reaction to watch to the end, but only to see if any truth is found. Along the way, information that is meant to shock us is disclosed, and secrets are shared. All leading to the ending that is supposed to build faith in humanity? What I found was grief that goes without processing leads to dissatisfied and unhappy lives. Could have done something better with the 90 minutes.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Decent movie, tons of holes
cyclops_screener20 December 2022
It happens with too many movies -- an interesting premise falls apart because a poor script cannot hold its weight.

A grieving mother, Darlene Hagen, who has mourned her missing daughter for 20 years is visited one snowy and thundering night by her brother-in-law, Jack Kingsley, who confesses to killing her daughter.

What ensues is a reasonably well-acted disaster. When Jack asks Darlene if she would like to see her daughter French book (which he kept from the day he killed the 16 year old girl), Darlene says yes. Jack goes to his car. It's Darlene's chance to lock him out of the house, but the inept script dictates that she does not do this.

Turns out Jack has brought a gun for his protection.

Jack and Darlene struggle several times through the movie, the gun changes hands, Darlene opts to tie up Jack in a few locations in her home, rather than simply shooting him and incapacitating him. It's amazing how many ligatures Darlene has just lying around.

Janeane Garofalo appears in the film and is horribly under-utilized.

How does a film like this get green lit? I don't want to berate the actors or even the writer, director, producer by asking that question. The whole thing is just so weak and filled with holes, the talented actors can only bolster it so much. Ultimately, this weak and, under cooked script takes them down with the ship.
15 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Truly and unbearably dreadful.
manuelasaez1 January 2023
You've seen this movie done 100 times before. Mother's daughter goes missing, she spends 20 years looking for her, and someone from her past comes back to offer an apology for the things he's done. It's exactly what you expect seeing after reading that synopsis, nothing new, interesting or engaging even slightly deviating from the tired formula, and the whole ordeal came off as a more "men are bad, and much worse than bad women/mothers".

People who write these movies really need to stop and think about the kind of impact they are leaving behind. Will this movie be remembered as a required viewing experience, or will it be forgotten as every other lame feminist revenge fantasy has been (meaning, not at all)? It's sad that movies like these even get financed when they beat the same already battered and pulpy horse to death, but it seems like people are more interested in furthering the "men are bad" agenda than actually make compelling films.

This movie was absolute, total garbage and nothing about it will be remembered by anyone, fondly or otherwise.
14 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Turned it off with 20 minutes left
zack_gideon18 December 2022
I watched most of this film or at least tried to. It's an interesting premise I suppose, but it's also not in a lot of ways. The moment the guys (at the very beginning) car "breaks down" and she doesn't question it at all I knew the script wasn't going to be great.

It's basically a play format. A few characters and A LOT of dialogue. The acting is okay, but it just doesn't go anywhere and I personally didn't care about the outcome, the characters or really the whole story.

Overall, I can't give a full review because I got annoyed with all the yelling and arguing and fake tension I just turned it off to watch the Warriors game. We lost the game, but I won by ending the the struggle of watching this film.
23 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A decent and quick story of a missing person solid watch.
wisemanfromtowne19 December 2022
After twenty years of sobriety a grieving mother finally learns the truth about what happened to her daughter who's has been missing as long as her sobriety by a very unlikely person who shows up at her home to confess to her everything that happened to her daughter. With a very small budget and cast, this was a decent and very quick story of a missing person reveal. I was actually ready to turn it off because I thought it was going no where but after the reveal of the daughter's demise, my interest piqued and I decided to stay engaged and watch to the end. A dialog film more than a visual meaning that you could easily just listen and not watch the film and still manage to follow the story without missing anything. Not sure why it fell under the genre of horror and thriller because it's neither. It's a suspense dialog in one place with a cast of three people done proper. And let me just add one more thing, some family members are absolute trash and sometimes end up being your worst enemy.
11 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Somewhat of a disappointment.
Her-Excellency1 January 2023
The subject matter is bleak and depressing, but could have made for a good film (especially seeing as it has been done before).

With Janeane Garofalo as one of the title characters, there was even more of an expectation that the IMDB score of 5.5, was a fluke and/or that reviewers were just missing the point. Say what you will about Garafolo, but she's a powerhouse of acting skills and much more charismatic and attractive than some give her credit for being. Anna Gunn too, was a draw. THE woman who portrayed Skyler White of BB fame SO distastefully well, that the character's name became synonymous with cold, unsupportive wives everywhere, and this was something I could not miss.

Lamentably, after watching it, I kind of wish I had.

Among the worst of the film's foibles is that given the aforementioned talent, surprisingly, the acting from all three leads left a lot to be desired. Most of the interactions between Gunn and Garafolo felt forced and not very organic - almost as if you are watching two strangers working at attempting to form a friendship. Worse still, the portrayal of the sleaze bucket by Linus Roache, was exceptionally terrible. Perhaps it isn't that he was not believable as said sleaze bucket; maybe it is that he was too believable as a sleaze bucket - and nothing else. The range of emotions necessary to pull off the nuances of his role, were never part of the actor's almost uninterested delivery.

On a better note, the soundtrack to The Apology is pretty good, with the Ages and Ages version of the closing "Auld Lang Syne", being SO particularly noteworthy and resonant, that I bought it.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I can fix all of this
nogodnomasters21 December 2022
Darlene (Anna Gunn) is preparing on Christmas Eve to have family over for Christmas at her place. It has been 20 years since her daughter Sally has gone missing. The neighbor Gretchen ( Janeane Garofalo) is there with encouraging words. It is a dark and stormy night with snow thunder. Her sister Julie and her kids will be over. Unexpectantly Jack, Julie's ex-husband shows up at Darlene's door claiming his truck skidded. He had planned to surprise everyone at Christmas and to make peace with the family. The two of them had a fling a couple of decades ago. The conversation always leads back to Sally which turns into something nasty, like something you might see in a Farrah Fawcett/James Russo film, although not as intense and heart throbbing.

Watching Darlene wallow in self pity didn't endear me to her. Failed to connect.

Guide: F-word. No sex or nudity.
6 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A perfect example of a minimal budget not being an issue whatsoever
jtindahouse26 December 2022
I find it so refreshing when a movie just wants to tell a good story. 'The Apology' is the kind of movie you can make on a minimal budget, with one setting and very few cast members, and if you do it right it can be infinitely more captivating than a $200 million budget film.

This movie flew by. I couldn't believe it had been 90 minutes when the credits started to roll. It's very well paced, especially considering a lot of the movie is just based around conversational dialogue. There are one or two spots where it might lose your attention for a minute or two, but for the most part it had me hooked.

The movie does get a little predictable near the end and the characters make some ill-advised decisions that feel a little forced. Otherwise though, I had a really good time with this one and would recommend it. 8/10.
6 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Could have been a much higher score.
kjjames811 January 2023
Last night for New Year's Eve I watched two movies back to back, as I had just come out of hospital and had to take it easy.

The first movie I watched was The Apology. Now only knowing the basic story line and nothing else I settled down.

The film contained roughly three actors or less at the most on screen, this can be good if there is any tension in the film.

The two main actors, Linus Roache and Anna Gunn we're excellent in this, the storyline was interesting but what let it down for a much higher score? The script, yes this is what let this film down badly.

Not even thirty minutes in and I guessed what had happened and why Roache was there, especially when he said ' I have something to tell you.' Well if you have many movies like me, you can guess the storyline straight away, having this happen so fast took most of the tension out of the film.

Overall I enjoyed it but this movie. With the right script could have been a great film.

Overall not bad to waste and hour and a half.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Taut thriller
scoopdiddle-1258420 December 2022
Rarely write reviews but I was surprised at the low scores this was getting.

Its a taut, claustrophobic thriller. Mainly a two hander until Janeane Garofolo rocks up and makes me feel ancient by declaring her character is retired (Baby Bowler is retired! Damn I'm old).

At its core its a revenge thriller and it's opened up some interesting conversations with the people I watched it with, something really lacking in films these days.

I found the performances spot on. Some of the plot decisions were questionable to me, but after the film that just opened up more discussions and I found other people found them relatable.
14 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Umm, last minute school project
pauljgunn-9323226 December 2022
Started out ok enough. That is if you forgive the whole 'car broke down' thing. But still, we will give them the benefit of the doubt there. Was actually getting into it. Obviously there was no shock or surprise with the big reveal, I think we could see that one ambling down the road for some time. Again, forgivable, there are only so many stories out there and it soon becomes apparent that we aren't watching anything new. Still nice enough little story. But then.......one can only assume that whoever was writing this had left it until the last minute and it was due in the next day. The scrip falls apart completely with some cringe-worthy dialog (fair play - the two leads managed to deliver it without looking for the director to check it was actually correct). The introduction of the 'neighbour' character who was nonchalantly walking the dog was equally as contrived. I expect the writer had recently watched Fargo and thought - "that was good - I'm going to do one of them". It seems It isn't that easy though is it.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't bother
elirose-9611227 December 2022
The movie had so so much potential. It had a good plot and really started off amazing. The whole plot of the movie is this woman's missing daughter. Missing is the key word here. This man comes and is telling her this whole confession and there is a lot of action and had me really going. You go through this whole movie with this lady wanting to know what happened to her daughter. Finally is getting answers and then the movie just goes to poop. Let me tell you she never finds where her kid is. Yeah she gets a confession but that's it. Never even asks where her body is. So disappointed. Just no.
6 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Low rate reviewers did you even watch the film?
mesunsan29 December 2022
Yeah, the scrip had some unsurprising scenes but it was about the people and their pain not about a possible twist at the end. It's not like people don't get away with crimes for decades or even a lifetime.

I've watched far worse films with some terrible actors that got a better ratings than this film! This film made up for the "predictableness" with the fantastic acting... especially by Anna Gunn! She really is a talent!

I do wish the Janeane Garofalo had more scenes and that relationship between those two chat had been filled out more. This movie could easily have been 30 minutes longer... or even cut some of the violent scenes that were somewhat unnecessary to make room for the two female characters.

Definitely worth the watch!
4 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Solid thriller good acting
lukebknmusic27 December 2022
Ignore all of the bad reviews, this movie was a good enjoyable watch. Especially this time of year, around the holidays on a cold winter night. Good thriller! I thought the acting was really good. I love Anna Gunn she's really good. The pacing is good it's not too slow, and it's easy to get in to from the start. There's a lot of dialogue between the two main character and the build of of tension is paced pretty well in my opinion. I like how Anna Guns character is a recovering alcoholic it brings a good dynamic to the story and it's something I can relate too. Over all good enjoyable movie, I give it 10 stars because I think it deserves a better rating then it has been getting from bad reviews!
4 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't bother
RandomTard19 March 2023
Well after 20 minutes I just simply decided to not suffer anymore of this boring conversation. I've seen some tedious movies but oh my this one is right there at the top. There is nothing to get interested about, I mean absolutely nothing. Just boring people talking boring things to each other.

Acting seemed very strange, somehow forced. Well I guess it would be with basicly no script or plot to speak of, but seriously it is so bad. The snowthunder or whatever makes no sense, what kind of an electric system does that house have? That's not how electricity works - lightning does not make electricity pause for a minute.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the better Shudder films, though that's not saying much
plurlife198924 February 2023
For a low budget psychological thriller produced by Shudder, this film was actually not half bad. The screenplay is definitely not great even by Shudder standards. However, Anna Gunn's terrific performance is the saving grace that carries this film & makes it actually watchable. We already knew Anna Gunn is an incredibly talented actress based on her work in Breaking Bad, but in this film she portrays a broken mother who's daughter has been missing for the last 20 years - a nightmare every parent dreads happening to them. Anna Gunn's heartbreaking anguish is all on full display and it helps make the film a compelling watch. While the overall film is not perfect and I understand why some may not like like it, id recommend watching it just for Anna Gunn's performance alone. The movies only 90 mins long, so it won't feel like a total waste of time.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A huge gap between the intents and actions, and the acting capabilities of the characters
erkanarat23 December 2022
The man has intent of confessing and apology but with a gun at his hand and appears to be not a man feeling remorse. The woman has intent of killing the man who killed her daughter but she tried to hurt him and make him confess who is there to confess the murder. The scenario is really mind-bender.

And the female character, Anna Gunn, was showing us very good acting with screams, tears, halucinations, and so on, losing herself in the story, and deeply feeling the pain of her missing and murdered daughter, while the male, Linus Roache, became poor and limited as a character actor, or failed to catch up with his partner.

Also, I saw a scene on the bed in which he blinked his eyes for the cloth hit them in a moment though he's blacked out. And they would have made a scene longer where he was having a panick attack in the basement. It ran through in a second.

The whole film was built upon Anna's character acting and remained so poor. You would like to go ahead and follow the story and actions and you find yourself lost out of where. The script you took your daughter's best friend away from her, came to me unnecessary or it seems as if she was trying to get him felt guilty conscience so that he could act better :)

Anyway... I see Anna worked so hard to upgrade the movie but remained alone. Applauses to Anna Gunn...Thank you.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How Abusers See Themselves
thalassafischer18 March 2023
This film is misnamed because there's no real apology offered, in fact the murderer sexually assaulted the missing daughter as a sixteen year old minor and blamed her for screaming saying "it was an accident." He took a child to an isolated area and started kissing her and broke her neck for screaming.

He even tried to sexually assault the mother earlier in the film, after not seeing her in nearly twenty years, claiming he returned because he "loves her" so much. This entitled man actually thinks he's going to have a calm talk with the love of his life about how he murdered her underaged daughter and his niece (by marriage) during an attempted rape.

He brought a gun "for his protection" and cut the phone lines because "she's so smart." THEN after he's tied up to a chair in a basement after she managed to sneak attack him when he holds her hostage, he proceeds to complain about how "he was used for money" during his marriage to her sister.

This isn't the best film I've ever seen and it's certainly not a surprising or satisfying mystery but it's still decent for this accurate portrayal of how "normal" and entitled the average white male abuser thinks he is our society, fifty years after the second wave of feminism.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Truly one of the worst films I've ever endured.
HurricaneDaddy19 March 2023
I don't even know what to say about this movie. There are three excellent actors performing in one of the most contrived and idiotic plots I have ever encountered. Pick any other film containing any of these three fine actors and you will have made a very wise decision. Anna Gunn does the best she can do with an idiotic script. Jeanine Garofalo is always excellent (and is in this film too in what amounts to little more than a cameo). I was very pleased to see her because it seems like it's been forever. Linus Roache is a very versatile actor who can be a good guy or a villain. Thomas Wayne, King Ecbert, and Jeremiah Sand are all among his extraordinary credits. But this...oh no. This is really the worst role of his career. I will say that if a middle school kid decided to write a dramatic encounter, you would not be surprised to witness something like this.

A mind numbingly predictable color-by-numbers project that probably had a script colored on the back of a napkin with a full orange crayon, and still managed to be just icky.

Maybe Rifftrax can bail this one out and give it second life.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why Are People Hating On This Movie??
crowe-4864728 February 2023
First of all, I NEVER review movies. I watched without looking at the reviews. I didn't want to be dissuaded from watching. I usually turn on a Thriller or Horror movie while I'm working since I work with data all day. I've seen a lot of these kinds of movies lately, and this was, by far, the best one I've seen in a long while. The movie just unravels in a way that makes sense. You learn a little at a time, and when you think you're coming up on a potentially boring Act II, you instead find the very necessary, and extremely well done scene where Anna Gunn's character expresses what it's like to go through something as is portrayed in the movie, and she is very believable. I watched, and the whole time I thought, "this is seriously what this situation would be like between these two people." The antagonist was apologetic in a way that you'd expect. Talking verbal and physical beatings and being understanding about it all... for a while. There was the smallest bit of "Girl Power" in the movie, but I don't mind that at all. It wasn't full on man hating by any stretch, the woman in the movie had more than her share of things to answer for.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.