The Forgiven (2017) Poster

(2017)

Worth watching. They tell an incredibly important story well.
sutherland-pierre22 April 2018
The story of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission should be required viewing as far as I'm concerned. The actors and director clearly care about this story and they have told it well. I'm a white South African with family that were in the police and military during this time. I think this movie is incredibly well done. Don't worry about the camera angles and makeup; just watch, enjoy, and maybe even learn something.

My favourite exchange: "Do you know what Paradise Lost is?" "A nightclub?" "No, you clutch plate. It's a poem... about me!"

Cheers, Pierre
43 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Critic scores have always bothered me
paultrengove23 March 2019
Sometimes a film does not need to be original or show artistic flair when telling its story. This is particularly the case when portraying momentous and in this case tragic historic events. And critics always searching for "originality" or "flair" when reviewing a film can at times consider no context when truly understanding the intention of a movie such as this one.

A film can certainly do history justice by purely being authentic with strong and brave performances as is the case in The Forgiven.

A movie about the fallout of South Africa's transformation from apartheid to a fragile state of confusion and change, runs the risk of "trying too hard", embellishment or falling victim to basic flaws such as bad acting or poor story telling. However this film is executed perfectly and the performances from Whitaker and Bana were simply outstanding.
18 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A worthwhile watch and one extraordinary scene at the end.
philsk22 May 2018
I had a job to recognise Forest Whittaker when the movie started because the make up was so good, and his normal facial expressions and mannerisms were just not there for this movie, quite rightly so to because he portrayed Desmond Tutu so very well.

Eric Bana's portrayal was so brilliant that you really hated the man and became engrossed in the interplay between him and Tutu, which in itself was interesting to watch.

I won't go into the details and spoil everything, but one of the scenes towards the end of the movie was one of the most heart-wrenching scenes I have ever seen in any movie, anywhere, and surely the actors must have received a standing ovation from the crew after it was filmed.

Don't be put off by the poor reviews, because this is a movie worth watching and you may well learn something along the way.
26 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A must-see!
baileyl-3550012 August 2018
This movie evoked many emotions, good and bad. It depicts what we as human beings are capable of at both ends of the spectrum. A difficult one to watch if you're a sensitive, caring person but, trust me, there IS a pay off in the end! Faith and love always.
18 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as bad as the reveiws...
shakeel-arshad18 March 2018
Ideally I'd rate this 7.5 out 10, i've noticed all the negative reveiws (it's not that bad) , to be honest Eric Banas moustache and Forest Whittakers nose were a 7/10 alone. Directed by the great Roland Joffe (The Mission, The Killing Fields & City of joy) this is about the relationship between Banas rascist inmate and Whittakers sympathetic Archbishop Tutu, just after Nelson Mandela became President, this deals with deep and bitter resentment,and is at times brutally violent, it's about 20 mins overlong but it's still a decent film.
32 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Must-Watch!
mikechege16 April 2018
This is a brilliant movie about a very sensitive subject. The Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC) was a truly courageous and noble initiative to deal with the atrocities committed under apartheid in South Africa. Like the last reviewer, I'd probably give the movie a 7.5/10. That this movie was filmed in South Africa with South African actors (besides Forest Whitaker and Eric Bana, of course) impressed me even more! The performance by Thandi Makhubele (Mrs. Marobe) in the scene where she confronts one of her daughter's killers towards the end was particularly poignant. One can imagine such scenes playing out in real life during the TRC hearings.
23 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
5.8? Really?
thomasbradyuk6 September 2018
Im giving this film which is in my opinion an easy 7.1 a 10 because it deserves a lot more that 5.8.. Made me cry
17 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well worth the watch!
robgiblin6 August 2018
I almost did not watch this as IMDb is fairly reliable for me with ratings over/under 6. Not sure why this was a 5.7 however I am a fan of Forrest and Eric. They are equally great in their performance here. Subject matter is hard. This movie had me from start to finish and did not disappoint. The lead characters and supporting leads pull their weight in conveying perspectives from both sides of one of history's darker (and still ongoing) sagas.
12 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Deserving of a higher rating!
naomi-schell23 March 2019
Bana delivers a compelling performance that sent chills down my spine, and the exchanges between Bana's Blomfield and Whitaker's Tutu had me absolutely glued to the screen!

I thought the two main characters were brilliantly supported by all of the actors in this film, with a particularly good performance by Thandi Makhubele.

The Forgiven has a solid storyline that handles it's sensitive subject matter well.

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie really cannot understand why it doesn't have a higher rating - which is why I felt compelled to write my first ever IMDB review!
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Eric Banas is just solid as a rock!
karimgabc25 March 2018
Dont see the hate of this move. just a good movie about the human race!
21 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An informative and compelling watch
scottmikhail31 May 2018
I for one didn't know much of the Apartheid 'era' (for want of a better word), but found his film to be a raw and confronting telling of the draconian state of affairs predominately black South Africans were forced to suffer through.

Whitaker's performance was flawless. Bana's was solid.

That last scene in the court room was bloody gripping.

Part of me would have liked to have seen Bana break at some point but I was left satisfied enough at how his story ended up being told.

It's not one you'd plan your night around but I felt it had enough grit and intrigue to earn its rating.
13 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
IMDb rating failure!
vnremsen19 July 2019
I've never written an IMDB review before but am provoked to do so by the current rating of 5.8, which is so far off the mark that I am shocked. Whitaker and Bana both give Oscar-worthy performances. This is Bana's best performance ever --- he makes his character truly terrifying. The interaction between Bana and Whitaker is so intense that it should be a film-study classic. This great story weaves together the best and worst things about humans. A great story, too, and an important educational lesson.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent once you get it
alison-19716 July 2018
I REALLY liked this movie. In fact, I liked it so much, I watched it twice back to back. I have a hard time sitting still for ONE movie, much less watching ONE movie twice. THAT is how GOOD this movie is.

The first time, I had a hard time understanding everything that was happening. I am not THAT familiar with the history of South Africa, nor can I speak Afrikaans. So it took two viewings to really understand the story.

I thought the acting was superb!
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent performances
dpowell9114 July 2018
Glad I didn't see any reviews before watching this. I thought it was a great movie. I understand it's not a documentary so you take the facts with a grain of salt but it did make me research apartheid since I was never quite sure what it was all about. Ugly people doing ugly things. Unfortunately relevant in current times. Will we ever learn?
10 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Incredible performance!
brownthrasher-255543 August 2018
Forest Whitaker gives an incredible performance of Desmond Tutu. He takes the form of Tutu in the way he stands, the voice and the mannerisms. Her took his big self and made himself a near perfect recreation of the real Tutu (Real Tutu is 86!). There are some slow spots but the plot is quite good. Other remarkable characters and performances. Highly recommend.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
powerful
tstrasnov3 September 2018
Powerful movie about the depths of human depravity and the difficult path towards justice, forgiveness and overcoming racism. Unfortunately today's situation in South Africa reminds us all that another apartheid is about to take place - this time against white farmers who are in minority and whose murders are taking places with the majority black government condoning genocide. Sad story that we shall have to re-live if the world doesn't act now. If not I imagine another movie will be made in a few years this time with actors acting in reversed roles....
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worthy
fmwongmd19 August 2018
A film about sin and redemption. Well acted and directed with noteworthy performance by Thani Makhubele..you can't go wrong.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved Forest Whitaker in it.
subxerogravity16 March 2018
It's one of Forest Whitaker's best performances (but not his best). Similar to Gary Oldman's Oscar winning performance in The Darkest Hour, Whitaker is so engulfed as Desmond Tutu, thanks to both being a great actor and to some make up effects that you forget it's Forest Whitaker (Well, until you see the lazy eye). I must say, although I know who Tutu is I never seen a picture of him and upon seeing one I'm indifferent about the make up effects as it makes Tutu seem like an ugly man, but once again, it's about Whitaker's metamorphism.

The Forgiven is about Tutu after Apartheid ended, under the request of Nelson Mandela, headed up the Truth and Reconciliation Commission. During this time he's summoned by a dangerous criminal, played by Eric Bana, to a prison he's in, in hopes of getting clemency for his crimes.

Eric Bana as dangerous criminal, Bloomfield could have used more screen time to be a better adversary for Whitaker's Tutu, it would have just enhanced both performances greatly.

Once again, the Forgiven makes me indifferent about knowledge of other cultures, seeing how black people have so much in common in many different countries, and how I wish some of those similarities were on the positive (but still worth learning).

Though I feel like I learned something about the aftermath of Apartheid and Desmond Tutu (enough to make me want to learn more), the movie is not the best film. It's very formulated and easy to predict. The real shinning light is Forest Whitaker truly becoming someone else on camera.
15 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best movie I've watched in 2018
bethratzlaff30 July 2018
The Forgiven is well made. The acting is great too. It is a story that is still with me days after I watched it. It beautifully paints a picture of the animosities and atrocities that haunted post apartheid South Africa, without becoming a film dominated by gore. Desmond Tutu's impossible task of bringing reconciliation to his divided country, overcoming personal hostility, and healing the wounded population must have felt impossible. Watch this movie. It is engrossing and challenging.
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty Interesting.
zonker8457 October 2018
A better movie than it's rating which is brought down significantly by two 1 star reviews that coincidentally were posted on the same say. If you remove the outliers the movie has a deservedly good review score
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
-Powerful forgiveness. No specific spoiler
stbibby-8327028 September 2018
Well this is my first ever review of any film on imdb. This was a subtle yet powerful film. Played out with a sense of realism and not a glamorous melodrama. I really enjoyed this and the performances of all were great. Eric Bana again knocks it out of the park, and forrest well what can you say. The ending crept up like a patient cat waiting to strike you unexpected and... IT DID. Well worth a watch and something that can teach you a great deal about the power of the human soul to endure and forgive. Against all odds.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Powerful.
russgb-128982 July 2019
Shut your mouth, and watch it all the way. It's worth the investment.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very moving
artkelly30 August 2018
Well acted and filmed. If you've got the decency to feel compassion for all people this story will draw you in. It's so very moving.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent acting by the lesser characters
jbigs-5503823 July 2018
Very intense movie. The intense confrontation between Whitaker's Tutu and Bana's imprisoned death squad policeman is very unsettling at first but progresses to the point where you feel their internal struggles. The acting by the South Africans playing a mother whose daughter disappeared and a teen prisoner was superb.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent movie & performances - deserved a higher rating
lornapercy17 August 2019
Thank you for making such an important movie - It Is a true reflection of those times in South Africa. All of the actors gave fantastic performances. Watch it - you will not regret it.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.