Ray Donovan (TV Series 2013–2020) Poster

(2013–2020)

Sláinte
dnau-4212626 July 2019
So I was bored last week and needed a show to watch. I decided to skim through Showtime and decided on giving Ray Donovan a try. Well here I am four days later and I'm on episode 10 of season 6. Wowzer does this show blow me away. I love the grittiness, the laughs, the emotional value and the edge of your seat action that I get from this show. I read alot of the reviews on here and kept hearing about how season 5 was a disappointment. Well I couldn't agree less. Every season has been amazing. I'm actually dreading that I'm coming up to the end. Happy to read that they have already started production of season 7. This show is a win in my book. Highly recommend. And it doesn't hurt that I am a Boston girl, born and raised. Love shows that make me feel at home.
79 out of 86 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Ray Donovan Drinking Game...
TakeUpReel14 July 2020
Take a shot if a character says:

• What?
  • Sure
  • It doesn't matter
  • Get in the car

If you really want to raise the stakes, take a half shot every time a character says:

• F. you
  • Go F. yourself

You may want to have medical professionals standing by for the last two.

This show started off great. It got boring during the middle seasons, but season 6 was very good. I have mixed emotions about season 7. They provided a lot of interesting back story for a few characters, but they left a lot of loose threads at the end.

The whole series showed way too much of Ray's daughter. She got somewhat interesting in Season 6, but then I, once again, lost interest in her during season 7.

I'm glad Ray's son wasn't shown much during the last few seasons. He was an annoying character from the beginning.

Overall, it's a good show if you can stick with the boring bits.
28 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ray never eats.
jhill-3310 April 2019
I have watched every episode and find it funny since season 1 Ray basically spends his day with a coffee at home then to the gym for a whisky,then to the office for a whisky,then to various potential clients for a whisky.Then comes home at night and has a whisky and nurses various wounds he got throughout his day and then wakes up and repeats again the next day. So in summation tough guys can get stabbed,beat up,and shot and they can just go home and take off the bloody clothes and have drinks and be recovered by morning all on an empty stomach.Too funny.
121 out of 136 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Looks like another hit Original from Showtime
lulzpharcyde1 July 2013
I had to review this show after seeing the current reviews posted. At the moment there are 4 written reviews and all but one are HIGHLY critical and undeserved in my opinion.

The casting is brilliant. Acting is right on. Writing is great. Direction is fantastic. Cinematography is top notch. Am I watching a different show?

I could go on with praises of all the elements of Ray Donovan, but it would just be repetitive and monotonous, and I would run out of synonyms.

I truly think Showtime has it's next hit to fill in the gap left by Dexter next season.

I don't want to go into arcs, plot, etc. and spoil anything. I just wanted to make sure there was another positive review posted, so even more people give Ray Donovan a chance. Believe me, if you have liked Showtime's other amazing Originals, you'll love it as much as I do.
305 out of 366 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best family drama since The Sopranos?
cybercipher7 July 2013
I watched the first episode of Ray Donovan without knowing much about the plot or characters. Liev Schrieber is fantastic in the lead role and is reminiscent of Tony Soprano in that he is a dark, violent lead male under constant stress who is protective and nurturing of those he loves, while at the same time projecting an aura of violence and danger to those who would cross him. One scene, where Ray menaces a man who double-crosses him is particularly chilling. The supporting characters are also very solid. Paula Malcomson, (Ray's wife Abby) under-utilized in Deadwood is here allowed to flex her acting muscles in several scenes with Schreiber. Also in the show is the great Jon Voigt, who plays Ray's father. The conflict between them is set up right away in this first episode and one senses an Oedipal confrontation coming somewhere down the line. Most series start out weak and get better as the show grows and develops. This show, however, started out with a bang. If it gets BETTER it will very soon be the best show on television.
234 out of 284 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
THIS IS BULLS**T
Jennifer1388 February 2020
I have been a captivated by the Donovans since it began and to be honest I am at loss for words at the erratic cancelation!!!! I have appreciated everything about this show and it at least deserved a proper ending!
45 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Incredible, especially the earlier seasons!
Supermanfan-1330 December 2020
Ray Donovan is a flat out awesome tv show! It really is an incredible show, especially the earlier seasons! Liev Schreiber is perfect as Ray Donovan and leads an amazing all around cast that are all at the top of their game here. I absolutely recommend this show to anyone who loves a good drama with plenty of action!
18 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Incredible
carriecy10916 July 2013
In watching Ray Donovan, the characters have such a believable existence that you can't help but wonder about the things the rich and famous we read about daily really do. I will not be able to read about a scandal without wondering if a "cleaner" was involved. This show is a true testament to those creators and writers who have brought about something so new and fresh that all other current series seem to pale in comparison. At times, the laugh out loud tastelessness of things being said just leaves me wanting more. Even if feeling slightly guilty for laughing. I am hoping this show stays raw and powerful and witty and that we will get many more seasons of the same.
171 out of 222 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliant! Just brilliant
mrskv7812 July 2013
I heard about this show from friends who were discussing new shows. They were raving about it and how good it is. Also going on about Liev Schreiber and how good he is in it. Decided to check it out myself and I was not disappointed. Good solid story lines. Great cast. Its about time that a show of this quality is shown. Just hope whoever does the marketing this show does a better job as I have never even seen a commercial or ad for this show. I hope it doesn't get cancelled because no one knows of its existence. So many good shows get cancelled that way and then we get stuck with another trashy reality TV show. I also like that there isn't just one story line. There are many story lines going on. Jon Voight is also a great actor and I was happy to see him in a good TV show.
147 out of 196 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Deserves more Emmy awards!
CarmaChan27 January 2015
The previews and billboards of this Showtime series did nothing to intrigue or attract me as a viewer. I watched the pilot merely because there was nothing else to watch and I was slightly curious, and because I really like Liev as an actor, and Jon Voight is always great. I got hooked because of the underlying forces at work that shape the personalities of Ray and his brothers. It was a total shocker and gripping, believable surprise.

I really wanted this show to win more awards. It is the only show I'm aware of that has tackled one of the most difficult social issues of our time. It is so well written one must wonder if the writers are close to people who are wrestling with these issues.

This is a must-see series and it really deserves more recognition, not only for the excellent writing, but the casting and acting and directing. Ray Donovan is Showtime's best new drama!
48 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great writing, great acting, immersive, engaging
PaxD751 February 2021
This is a solid drama - with the lead character helping upper crusty (mostly) Hollywood types safeguard their positions in society. In addition to the basic premise, the lives (and issues) of the Donovan family are explored.

Ray Donovan drives a good portion of this drama - but as a strong silent type - it is the lives of his family, associates and clients that keep the viewers fully engaged. Jon Voight delivers a remarkable performance as the troublesome father - and I think it is his role that helps elevate this series past a 6-7 rating. He really spices things up.

The lives of his brothers (Bunchy, Terry and Daryll) - while not compelling in themselves; add a real-life substance to the series - helping make this a serious drama.

I think the series suffers when we delve into Ray's immediate family - his wife (Abby) and his children (Bridget and Conor). You might have a different take on their roles but I personally found them uninteresting and often irritating.

Abby doesn't seem to have a real role - she's not quite a mother, not a knowing/wise wife - but instead comes across as a needy teenager. Her scenes are passable and still somewhat watchable because of Paula Malcomson's impressive acting ability.

Conor, the son, completely forgettable. His life doesn't engage nor does it irritate - it's simply meh - filler material.

Bridget, on the other hand, plays the typical (Hollywood) epically annoying teenage girl. You will want to fast forward anytime she appears at 100x speed but... you'll miss out on characters like Marvin and Cookie. So you have to put up with her (it won't be easy). Since the rest of the series is so strong, Bridget is unable to single-handedly destroy the series (which Hollywood-written teenage girls often do).

I am reviewing this after watching 3 seasons. I'm tempted to rate this a 6 because I dislike the epically irritating Bridget character so much. But there is so much more going on, so many other great characters, so many outstanding performances (from strong emotions to nuances) that this series is easily an 8 - despite the annoying teenager.

May update review later (since I plan on watching all 7 years). It's been bingeable good!
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Ray Donovan" is a winner
85122212 July 2013
Greetings from Lithuania.

"Ray Donovan" is definitely the best drama of this year. The show is so rich in characters, and subplots that it's a joy to watch every scene. This is the most interesting family drama since "Sopranos". Yes, it's that good. It touches themes that you won't see in regular shows, and it approaches them in gritty yet very realistic and human way. I think "Ray Donovan" will definitely win some big awards, and will gain a cult status pretty soon.

Overall, if you are tired from all standard shows, and want to watch something true to life, "Ray Donovan" is not to be missed.
123 out of 165 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What's not to like?
godkingmedia12 August 2013
Incredibly unique show, the writing is phenomenal and the acting is a great compliment to it...The show has a style and vibe that I really can't compare to anything and it's dark humor is top notch...Almost every scene is entertaining because the characters are so great and I really enjoy how portions of the background story are unveiled week by week...If there's one negative I can imagine someone saying about the show is that it's a bit of a slow starter...I don't even think this show has hit third gear yet and I'm already hooked...Just hope they don't smother all the greatness out of it like they did to Dexter..but that's another review
75 out of 100 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How to ruin a perfectly good show
odeschry-895-80554818 November 2019
Seasons 1-2 are pretty fun dark thrillers. The formula gets a bit more of day time drama like BS in season 3-4 but remains pretty entertaining. By Season 5 it lost all of the original fun - only way to watch it is to fast forward all the melodramatic flashbacks - you can watch the season in 2-3 hours doing so and you will not loose a single thing of value from this season. Season 6 tries to track back to original ideas but I found Season 5 to be so insulting to the basic intelligence of viewers that I simply couldn't get in to it anymore.

This trend the studios have to kill the formula that made a show popular with cheap drama is really getting to be obnoxious.
25 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Please renew for at least one more season...
khalillavan18 February 2020
Season 7 finale was not a proper series finale. Now that Ray finally found out what really happened to his sister, there has to be more reaction from the rest of the family. I've watched this show from day one and if the studio wants to cancel this show, then do it with a bang for the loyalty of your fans!!!
18 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Incredible!
Supermanfan-1312 December 2020
Ray Donovan is absolutely awesome! It's just a flat out incredible show, especially the earlier seasons! Liev Schreiber is perfect as Ray Donovan and leads an amazing all around cast that are all at the top of their game here. I absolutely recommend this show to anyone who loves a good drama with plenty of action!
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
OMG...
velikitata10 February 2021
I'm a big fan of the series and my prediction was that they all going to kill each other in the end or something, but there was no end at all. NO END. If you quit the series in season 3 or something, you have seen it all.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
First 4 seasons are great, but then it crashes
GSMO202015 July 2020
I loved the first 4 seasons, but not a fan of season 5. Stupid plot decision, and it consumed the entire season. Plus the ongoing flashback thing sucked. Season 6 and the move to New York might be even worse, as Ray stumbles around in a stupor. Most of the characters are great, with Jon Voight stealing the show, but both of "Ray's kids" end up sucking and are horribly annoying. Still, the first 4 seasons are so good, I'll give it an 8 out of 10. Hoping they somehow get a chance to do season 8. Maybe they can end it on a high note.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Judging it now after 4 episodes
Phil_bowers197531 July 2013
I'm not sure how so many people could write a review after 1 episode of this drama. i must admit it was a very good episode but judging it after one episode is like looking at a race horse before you've seen it run.

now after 4 episodes, i think i'm able to call this series very very good. it hasn't spilt all the story up to quickly, and you are still seeing layers to characters, especially John Voights.

yes there a few clichés, and you could even describe this series as a little "sopranos like" (man in complete control of professional life as a semi gangster, when his personal life is out of his control) but it is original enough to keep me interested.

All the actors are top notch, the plot lines are gripping and i cannot wait for more Ray Donovan to be made and shown.
64 out of 97 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So damn good
gallagherkellie17 November 2020
I've watched 2 seasons so far and I love it!! I love and hate all of the characters at the same time. It's gripping and has some twists. Great family drama. If you like crime, bad guys, messed up families and some dark humour then this is the show for you.
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not for the Dim-Witted
F_Hugh_Seekay10 July 2013
If you enjoy subtly, watch this show. If you need things spelt out for you, step-by-step, explicitly with poor writing, don't watch this show. If you like character-driven drama with quality acting, watch this show. If you have a short attention span and need action sequences every second minute to avoid channel surfing to the next thing, don't watch this show.

Ray Donovan is a well-written, superbly-acted, character-driven drama. After two episodes, it is clear that Liev Schreiber and Jon Voight have bought in fully to their roles and they are nailing them. Supporting performances are also very strong, in my opinion.

I expect plenty of people to be confused by the plot, because the writers don't feel the need to spoon-feed the audience. You have to pay attention and not everyone has that ability. In my opinion, this is everything a quality TV Show should be, when it is written, directed, and produced for an intelligent audience.
126 out of 211 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good for the first 4 seasons.
theanomaloushost5 June 2020
Stop watching after season 4. The show takes a big drop in quality from which it never recovers after that. Plus it's a solid season to end the series on. Not much regarding loose threads, various character arcs resolved in a good way, bittersweet like most seasons, and the series remains engaging.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great series!
sgimera-3491728 April 2018
Very well acted. Jon Voight Is completely amazing in this role. Amazing to see him still going so strong. Liev Schreiber is so believable in this role, but the whole cast pulls this together. This family's story is always rolling forward with never a dull moment. Truly Awesome! My wife and I are hooked till the end of this ride.
21 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Engaging
dp-parks24 July 2013
OK so I am not a TV person, I much prefer a good book or a radio show, American (trash) TV is not my thing. My wife recorded this and suggested I might like it - well she's bang on. The plot is tantalizing, the acting is first class (british soaps look out) and the direction brilliant - each episode like a mini film. I like the almost caricature characters - are there really people like this in LA - I fear yes! The sub plot with the boxing gym is a little off, but I guess this will develop as time passes. In short, I am looking forward to the next episode and it's a long, long time since a TV drama caught my interest.
46 out of 76 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Interesting show
amills225 August 2013
I think the one thing a lot of people who don't like this show seemed to have a problem with was "lack of believability" and "pointless sex / violence / bad deeds" . But I think that's exactly what the show is about, the fact that dark and awful things happen all the time, dirty meaningless sex happens all the time, and horrible violence happens all the time. And I personally find it interesting and compelling, but maybe my "moral compass" is broken.

As far as believability, I find the characters to be dimensional and well portrayed, and the dialogue to be well written. I don't know any movie stars, rich people or old Boston townies, but I don't find any accents or characters to seem over the top or off (which can be a pretty easy thing to notice when it's really bad).

At least it's not as bad as shows about CIA operatives who wear heels on every mission... (but that's another show).
31 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.