Big Hero 6 (2014) Poster

(2014)

Disney old magic
emilbalint19908 February 2015
Inspired by Frozen I started my search for new Disney movie which will offer me same "Disney magic" as i experienced in Lion King, Pocahontas, Bugs life, Frozen etc.

So I found Big hero 6, and the magic started. This movie is made for all ages. What i find very interesting in this new Disney movie is that he is very educational, specially for children, but grown ups will enjoy ether. characterization is very deep , and you will feel as you are one of the characters in this beautiful story. Visual effects are stunning, so u will experience another Disney master piece.

After seeing this movie , I would really recommend it to all movie lovers, especially fans of the Disney cartoon movies. If you are looking for an intelligent and inspiring cartoon movie for your youngest, you can stop looking because you just found it.
35 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Whoa!
maxskimoose16 March 2015
Please don't listen to the bad reviews and watch this yourself.

I registered with IMDb just to write this. That is how much faith I have in this film. I really cannot believe some of these bad reviews.. "Not a kids film"?? kids would go mental for this.

Animation was nothing short of exquisite

Comedy was extremely funny (and i'm not one for comedies)

Story line was really great too

Also made me cry a little... meh

please please please watch how awesome this is. i'm nearly 28 and I absolutely loved it.
105 out of 154 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disney Going Hero
mat-dragonfire22 February 2015
Big Hero 6 is another in a line of many successful Disney animated movies. And rightly so, might I add. The movie is about a boy, Hiro, his friends, Nerds and a health care prototype robot, Baymax. They live in a not so distant, technologically advanced future in a city called San Fransokyo. The story is action-packed comedy with dramatic elements to it and, as such, is appropriate for all ages. If you love Marvel movies, you will most definitely like this one as well. If you are more akin to beautiful landscapes and animated design, then by all means, this is the movie you will want to watch. If you are feeling down, the abundance of comedy, present in this movie is sure to make your day up. There is also a lot to learn from this movie, as some of the most important things (as well as most painful) in our lives, are depicted in this movie. Plus, the movie features one quite notorious figure (without too many spoilers). In short, the movie is a must see for children and for grown-ups as well, if they have a child lurking somewhere within them. Do not make a mistake and pass on a beauty of this movie.
61 out of 87 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you love Disney and Marvel movies, Big Hero 6 is definitely for you!
I went to watch this movie with my son aged 10 and daughter aged 7 - it was my son who was especially keen to see this, and to be honest, I wasn't really expecting much, as I hadn't watched any trailers about it, or heard much about it, & I thought it maybe more a boys' movie and my son would enjoy it more than my daughter or myself...

However... For the entire movie, myself and both of my children were completely immersed in it, and it evoked a range of thoughts, feelings and emotions in all of us, which included laughter and reducing us to tears (and I don't usually cry easily!). We all came out from the cinema each wanting our very own Baymax, and we were talking about and reliving moments from the movie for weeks after! My son who is a huge Marvel fan too spotted and enjoyed that he could make connections with Big Hero 6 to its Marvel origins.

Mine and my children's conclusion... We loved this pretty much the same as we loved Frozen... Another fantastic animated movie from Disney!
52 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Big Hero 6
jboothmillard21 February 2015
This Disney computer animated film was advertised a good few months before the actual release, including cinemas with a large inflatable rubber versions of the recognisable leading robot character, I was very much looking forward to this feature. Basically fourteen year old robotics genius Hiro Hamada (Ryan Potter) lives in the futuristic city of San Fransokyo and spends his time participating in back-alley robot fights, his older brother Tadashi (Daniel Henney) worries he's wasting his potential, so he takes him to the robotics lab at his university, there Hiro meets Tadashi's friends GoGo Tomago (Sucker Punch's Jamie Chung), Wasabi (Damon Wayans Jr.), Honey Lemon (Genesis Rodriguez) and Fred (T.J. Miller). Hiro is also introduced to Baymax (Scott Adsit), a personal healthcare robot Tadashi created, amazed, Hiro decides to apply for the school, presenting his project - microbots, swarms of tiny robots that can link together in any arrangement imaginable - to gain admission, school robotics program head Professor Robert Callaghan (James Cromwell) is impressed and Hiro is accepted, but a fire breaks out at the university, Tadashi rushes to rescue Callaghan, but the building explodes and both are killed, Hiro secludes himself from others having lost his brother. One day, Hiro accidentally activates Baymax who responds to his cry of pain, i.e. "ouch", the robot notices one of Hiro's microbots moving in its jar and thinks it wants to go somewhere, Hiro and Baymax are led to an abandoned warehouse, there they discover that someone has been mass-producing Hiro's bots, before a masked man controlling them attacks and chases them out. Realising this masked man has stolen his project, Hiro decides to catch him, upgrading Baymax with high-tech armour and a battle chip, and he reunites with GoGo, Wasabi, Honey Lemon and Fred, the six form a superhero team, they are all attacked by the masked man but manage to get away. The group discovers a former lab of prestigious robotics company Krei Tech, it was experimenting teleportation technology, the test went wrong when the test pilot vanished into the unstable vortex, the masked man reveals himself as Profressor Callaghan, he stole Hiro's bots and used them to escape the fire. So Tadashi died in vain, Hiro angrily removes Baymax's healthcare chip, leaving him only the battle chip, and orders him to kill Callaghan, Baymax almost does so, until the healthchip is reinserted by Honey, and he is restored, angry for their interference Hiro leaves his friends and goes home where he breaks down. Baymax asks Hiron if killing Callaghan would improve his "emotional state", he is not sure, but to soften Hiro's loss Baymax plays several humorous video clips of Tadashi creating and running tests on him during Baymax's development, Hiro realises killing Callaghan is not what Tadashi would have wanted, so he makes amends with his friends. The group discovers that Callaghan wants revenge on Alistair Krei (Alan Tudyk), president of Krei Tech, because he blames him for the death of his daughter Abigail (Katie Lowes), she was the test pilot, so with newly formed armour and technological advances they team together to save Krei and stop Callaghan. The microbots are destroyed and Krei is saved, but the teleportation portal remains active and is imploding, Baymax detects that Abigail is still alive, trapped in hypersleep, in the abyss, he and Hiro race to save her, but with most of his armour lost Baymax realises the only way to save Hiro and Abigail is to propel them back out the portal with his remaining rocket fist, Hiro refuses to leave him, but Baymax insists and Hiro tearfully gives in, Hiro and Abigail make it back, and Callaghan is arrested. Sometime later Hiro is trying to move on, but he discovers Baymax's clenched rocket fist contains his healthcare chip (this contains his entire personality), delighted he rebuilds Baymax and they happily reunite, and with their four friends they continue helping those in need in the city, as Big Hero 6. Also starring Maya Rudolph as Cass, Abraham Benrubi as General, Billy Bush as Newscaster and Daniel Gerson as Desk Sergeant. The young leading character is a likable and sometimes vulnerable technological genius, his supporting friends all offer their good traits as well, but it is the hero's robot companion that steals the show with his kind and caring personality, and when he gets added extras he becomes much more the fantastic pal to have. This is supposed to be based on a comic book series, it apparently does not have much relation to the original, but that doesn't matter, the whole family will be enthralled by the high-octane fight, flying and chase sequences, as well as the tender moments, the references to western technology and culture is great, and the animation is superb, it is a fabulous animated superhero action comedy film. It won the Oscar for Best Animated Feature Film of the Year, it was nominated the BAFTA for Best Animated Feature Film, and it was nominated the Golden Globe for Best Animated Feature Film. Very good!
58 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
a GREAT film. one of the best
garnettr-969-5752253 March 2015
so i originally didn't care for this film. a waster of time, irrelevant to both Disney and marvels big plans. i assumed it would end up like daredevil or black cauldron, best forgotten, bow was i wrong. this film combines the amazing animation, writing and greatness of recent Disney like frozen and tangled, with the great plots of marvel. it nearly had me in tears at times, because there is so much emotion in this film, and had me laughing uncontrollably at others. the group is full of personalities that are lovable and great. baymax is the true highlight of the film, but hiro and tadashi are incredibly stong and great characters. wasabi is always there for the comic relief and gogo is bad-ass. but they all become great as serious characters. and you have to love how honey lemon says "hiro" obviously, there are some issues. no film is without sin. it is predictable, cliché and some of fred's lies are just too stupid for words. but they aren't the points that you will remember. this film is definitely worth a watch and i suggest to to EVERYONE
49 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
With the Action of Marvel, Emotions of Disney, and Comedy of Both, Big Hero 6 is a fantastic film for anyone.
castelan-daniel27 October 2014
Back in 2009, Disney purchased Marvel Comics for four billion dollars. Shocking and surprising the world, many fans of both sides were curious whether Disney would make an animation film based on a group of characters from the comics. Three years later, Director Don Hall approached John Lasseter on making a film with Marvel Characters and found the Big Hero 6, a comic book series that even the most well known of comics didn't know who they were. In fact they were so obscure that Marvel themselves even forgot that they had the characters.

Marvel gave Disney the liberty to change the characters so that they could be seen as a Disney Animation Film. And the result is simply refreshing.

Big Hero 6 is a beautiful film, showcasing how much animation has become. The east and west coast mash up of San Fransokyo combines to make such a spectacular scenery, that the city may as well be a character to the film.

The cast is also fun to watch. One annoyance films try to do is by shoving the diversity of characters in your face. Big Hero 6 doesn't do that, instead the focus is on the characters themselves and not the diversity, making it enjoyable to watch. One of the biggest highlights is the girls of the cast. I took my 3 nieces with my friends and I, and they loved how they were smart, enjoyable and didn't need to fall for a man. The cast is truly relatable, whether you are precise like Wasabi, positive like Honey Lemon or just a guy who loves media like Fred.

Of course the star of the film is the robot of Baymax. Any scene that he is in steals the show, whether it is his introduction or his care for Hiro and Company.

The Villain by far is one of the best villains in recent Disney history, he doesn't sing, dance or monologue, he simply gets the job done.

The film showcases the action greatly by giving large scopes and music that fits exceptionally well. Emotionally, the film captures the audience by showcasing the bond of brotherhood between Hiro and his older brother Tadashi, as well as his friend Baymax who is like a Surrogate brother to our main hero.

A strong lesson in this film, is that family can be more than blood related, you have friends, who become part of that. That really showed how much I cared for the loved ones around me, especially my older brother who is in the military, creating robots and fixing medical equipment.

If there was one complaint I would give, I would've like to see a little bit more about the rest of the team. Other than that, Big Hero 6 is a heartwarming tale that captures something for the entire family.

Big Hero 6 is another showing that Disney can continue to make great films after the juggernaut that was Frozen. This film showcases that the Disney Revival (Films such as The Princess and the Frog, Tangled, Wreck-it-Ralph and Frozen) is not over yet, and I cannot wait to see what the next film has to offer.
336 out of 537 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautifully animated and fun filled family adventure
Screen_Blitz25 February 2015
Disney has brought many gifts and rarely disappoints me. Big Hero 6 is one of the best Disney films I have seen since last year's Frozen. This film is fun, clever, imaginative, and filled with spectacle. While the film is somewhat similar to Pixar's The Incredibules due the film's plot dealing with robots and and children with superpowers, it is very enjoyable and would easy please children as well as parents.

Big Hero 6 is not only brings out the charm with heart-filling characters and comic relief but has some of the most dazzling CGI I have seen in a Disney movie. The animators did a fantastic job on the character models and the environment was nice looking. My favorite character would probably be Baymax. What's not to like about a funny, inflatable robot who cracks funny one-liners,has the power to heal, and assists Hiro (main character) on his quest to defeat an evil scientist?

I can't tell you how much I enjoyed this movie. I recommend this movie to all parents and children. Big Hero is a family thrill ride!!!
80 out of 119 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why is this getting so much hate?
isaacglover_0528 December 2014
To be honest, when I saw the preview I thought it was going to be another Disney movie gone bad. So when the movies came around, I had really low expectations for it. But holy crap nothing has made me laugh this hard at a movie since maybe Amelie or Up! Baymax is a non-threatening huggable robot who's only purpose is to nurse those who are in need of medical attention. The only way to wake him up is to scream out "OW" and he is alive and will help you until you are better. The only way to put him back to sleep is to say "I'm satisfied with your work" (Or something like that I'm only paraphrasing) and he has gone back to sleep. But this movie isn't all comedy: it does have a bit of an emotional side to it which I won't go into too much detail about. However I do know that the movie isn't really like the comic books: the back stories of the characters aren't how they are in the movie and even the plot itself isn't like how the movie is, so for the devoted comic book fans, I understand if you hate this movie. However the people who didn't read the comics confuse me when they say it's "Cliche" "awful" "boring". I found none of these things in the movie at all. I was smiling right from the beginning and found myself a little teary-eyed towards the end.

So I do recommend this movie if you're up for a nice light movie with a lot of laughs: it might be better than you think.
253 out of 404 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Real treat for kids!!!!
luckycool_gr81 March 2015
One of the best animation movies in the past couple of years. Gets hold of its audience right from the beginning and doesn't lose grip until the credits. Charged with grandeur of animation, once you begin to watch the movie, neither the popcorn, the soda nor the people around can make you take your eyes off the screen. It's a real ride!! The fast paced screenplay and a very well written script around robotics keep your heels dug. May not be as good a treat for adults but will not be reprimanded by them either. For kids, it's got everything to keep them bubbling throughout the movie. From its characters to the well executed action sequences to its superb background score the movie is a delight to watch. All the ingredients of a "BOX OFFICE HIT" animation movie are pretty palpable. The ever evolving protagonist of the movie Baymax who senses pain around and activates, determined to go beyond limits to treat its patients (Hiro most of the times,) receives blows, puts itself through any challenge and rises again. Though just a robot that's programmed this way, the portrayal of its character is what makes Baymax the real Hero of this story. Nice job by Disney again. I hope the Disney announces the sequel soon.
35 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A cool story with great animation and voice acting.
nicolechan91616 January 2015
Honestly, I put off watching this because I didn't feel like I would enjoy it so much. I was proved wrong. Right from the start, the fresh animation of this film along with the brilliant editing and voice acting had me engaged. Though the plot is pretty flat and for kids, the concept is pretty new (in that it hasn't been totally overdone), dealing in robotics which allowed them to show some cool stuff. But the story being from Disney, did have moments of it being 'too easy' as well as a few stock characters but it wasn't such a big deal. The story was told well, and wasn't cheesy or boring at all. The freshness of the voices and the animation really put this film together.

The connection between the voices and animation really showed on screen the chemistry between the characters, and this worked to gain the sympathy of the viewer's at certain scenes. I thought that was well done, the characters were developed well in relation to each other. And I know I keep saying this, but I just really like the animation, and the effects. Baymax is so cute, and the other character's have a kind of Asian feel to them. It's also quite cool how the animated characters almost always resemble the actors voicing them (I guess this is intentional).

However, watching the trailer again, I notice that they miss some of the scenes out. I mean if you put it in the trailer, you've got to put it in the film! I would've liked to have seen the scene with Baymax and the soccer ball.

Read more movie reviews at: championangels.wordpress.com
33 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
5-word review: Dazzling, witty, emotional, enjoyably action-packed,
BillSims282 March 2015
Thankfully not the sixth film in a sextuplet, Big Hero 6 is the latest visually dazzling Disney film since the studio's resurgence. I was not a fan of Frozen, deeming it inferior to Pixar's elite animation masterpieces, and the feature- length music video to 'Let it Go' was mildly enjoyable at best. However, Big Hero 6 is much more fun, with science prodigy Hiro Hamada (voiced by Ryan Potter) forming a bond with his brother's home-made "huggable" robot invention Baymax (voiced by Scott Adsit) and subsequently creating a team of superheroes to combat a masked villain with a nefarious motive (it's way better than I just made it sound.)

The best part about Big Hero 6 is undoubtedly one of 2014's cutest characters. An ever so slightly more health conscious Groot, Baymax, your personal health care companion, makes Big Hero 6 go up from a 6 to an 8. He and Hiro provide both a surprising amount of emotional depth and superb action sequences which most definitely reflect the story's connection with Marvel. The supreme quality of the animation makes the action and flying scenes through the excellently-designed 'San Fransokyo' city skyline visibly awesome, cueing an unfortunately audible Neo-worthy "Woah" from me several times. The soundtrack is also highly recommended.

Big Hero 6 isn't without its faults though. By all means don't lose faith if you need to see it with an offspring or younger sibling; it's certainly an enjoyable time. But it is not as re-watchable or fantastic as a Pixar offering or Disney Renaissance film. This is mainly due to the poorly fleshed out characters, with the exception of the two leads - the supporting characters who form the superhero team are decently done but disappear for a while before being re-introduced. Maybe I've become spoiled by Pixar over the last few years and am expecting too much from a kid's film. Probably. But make sure to see it anyway, and treat it like a Marvel film (which really it is) by watching out for the Stan Lee cameo and staying for the post-credits scene.
47 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another great Disney movie
fireandlightning7 February 2015
I grew up with Disney like so many others. I love my Beauty and the Beast, AristoCats and Frozen. I love both old and new ones.

And then comes Big Hero 6. I knew it was going to be good. But I didn't expect greatness. Disney certainly did a amazing job combining what we love about Disney with what we love about action movies. A-freakin-mazing!

The characters were nice and goofy, the aunt was adorable.

The only bad thing was the usual "kill of a loved one". Did not appreciate that. To be honest, I don't understand why Disney loves killing of characters in so many movies. And in this one the brothers had already lost their parents and then Hiro loses another member of the family.. Just makes me a little frustrated that's all.

But that is the only negative thing I can think of right now. A cute movie, really well done and I hope there will be a short movie about Baymax.
47 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved It (SPOILERS)
Zeta-One4 May 2015
Contains spoilers, pass this review if you don't want to see any spoilers, such as end scenes and more.

I actually wasn't planning to watch this particular movie, until my friends told me it was a good movie and that I should watch it.

I decided to try it and see how it goes. I instantly fell in love with Baymax. He's huggable and simply adorable. Along with that, he's a HEALTHCARE companion! It was certainly a HILARIOUS movie, and I enjoyed every last bit of it.

I love how that Hiro, originally a boy who was interested only in bot fights, decides to do something big- starting with joining the nerd lab. There. he meets people like Wasabi, Fred, Go-Go, and more.

This movie also played with your emotions. And no, not just a little bit, but a lot. Disney seriously did a good job doing that. This movie was one of those that actually almost made me cry. Near the end, Baymax had supposedly "died" and that made me very emotional. I was so happy that at the end, Hiro managed to make another Baymax using the chip the original Baymax had left behind.

All I have to say is that this movie is definitely one worth watching, especially if you like humorous animated films.
72 out of 108 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Delightful superhero movie targeting a young audience
peefyn27 February 2015
What I appreciated most about this movie was the setting, having neither been to San Fransisco nor Tokyo I cannot comment on if it is true to either of them - but I really liked the city and the culture that resulted from it.

You can hardly see the effect of the technological advances that has happened in this world, and because of this it feels like it's in the near future. As it is a movie for younger audiences, it is understandable that they want it to be easily relatable.

The parts of this movie that I did not like are probably some of the parts that the younger audiences will like the best. The Fred-character was partly delightful, but also "too much". The same with some of the moments in the film (like the suggestion given by one of the heroes in the last fight). Some of the motivations of the characters are also simplified so much that they are hard to understand.

If you are a comics geek, I recommend staying till after the credits!
31 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
a solid Disney-Marvel-Anime hybrid, if less than masterful
MisterWhiplash4 April 2015
Big Hero 6 provides what you'd want in a movie as a kid, and maybe as an adult depending on how in touch you are with your inner-kid. Especially if you have a sibling (brother more specifically) the film's core relationship between Hiro and his older brother - it's not something that we see throughout, due to the first major turning point in the film, but the memory certainly remains strong - it will resonate. But the movie is only intermittently interested in pulling at your heartstrings; it's ultimately about suiting up, getting on the gadgets, and putting together a team. So the film is a lot of things in one - not to mention having an instantly adorable (i.e. lucrative) mascot at the center with Baymax.

By saying that it has "what you'd want" in a movie, I don't just mean super-heroes in the Marvel tradition (though it doesn't have the Marvel banner, this is based on a Marvel title, albeit an obscure-ish one), but anime as well. Many of the story turns, including the ones that are rather startling and the tonal shifts from lightness to tragedy and then swiftly back to lightness and action and thrills, it's like what I might expect to see from Japan directly. Which, of course, is part of the source itself, and the fact that the city is called 'San-FrancTokyo' (ho-ho) and the film has primarily Asian characters - whether they're all played by Asians is another story, but I digress.

I can't be too hard on a film that is just out to sheerlessly entertain the audience like this. It does have some points on the nature of grief and what happens when people are faced with losing someone who can't come back (... or can they?) I think it could've been even better, possibly great, if it had a bit of a better balance on the dark and the light sides of the film. Ultimately, I felt, the tragic parts came when they had to, and outside of that Big Hero 6 is essentially a Fun Ride Of A Movie (in caps), primarily led by a Doctor-cum-Fighting robot in Baymax, and some other supporting characters who are fine, no more no less. Just fine.

But maybe Baymax is enough, and certainly, more often than not, this is a very funny movie. He has the entertainment value of the Genie in Aladdin - like in that film, he's the friendly BIG companion who can help save the day for the protagonist - except instead of the thousands of impressions of Williams, it's the exact opposite that makes him appealing: one personality, pretty straightforward, and the dead-pan nature is closer to, oh I don't know, Jeff Bridges in Starman. He's the perfect innocuous character, but is hilarious for the reasons of reaction and straight silliness.

It should also be noted the last act, the climax, has its predictable points - like most (or almost all) superhero movies, i.e. from Marvel, it has to all build up to a gigantic Must-Save-the-City from impending gargantuan destruction, involving space as well. And a turn from a character kind of comes out of nowhere, which is fine except that the development is kind of off to suddenly be the "villain". However, again, akin to anime, so I can let it slide and still be sucked into the peril of the thing (I mean, hey, they can't all be The Incredibles).

For what it's worth though, there's so much to enjoy with this film that I'm sure if I was younger I'd eat it up with a spoon and want seconds-thirds-fourths-etc. It's an insatiably pleasant film to experience, faults and all. 7.5/10
57 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Inspiring
a_sad_cow17 February 2015
So many movies give the story up in the trailer. Was pleasantly surprised at each of the significant reveals in the story.

There were definitely Hollywoodisms, but to reject all of them is yet another Hollywoodism, so I can't fault the film for that.

I was also pleasantly surprised with not only how much esteem this movie holds the scientific community, but with how relatable each of the characters was.

The only thing I can really fault the movie for is the lack of side-character development in the middle/end of the film. Each of them were really treated like extras rather than the interesting characters they were introduced as. Still a significant step forward for the animated film community.
45 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyable and relaxing
derekpku666 March 2015
Okay, let's first start with the pros. This movie successfully showcased how good the animation 3D technology can be. My friends and I quite enjoyed its overall quality. Also this movie has pretty much innovative elements in it, with some big high tech creations. Overall, it's a light hearted movie. I'm sure almost everyone can find it amusing. It is not perfect of course. First, seriously, all big hero movies have to start with a family tragedy? I understand revenge is an emotional treat and good for plot, but this seems to be forcing the sad parts in and I don't like that idea of big heroes all have to suffer from family loss. Apart from that, some jokes are kinda stiff. The big marshmallow bear's blalalala is pretty lame on my side. It certainly has good branding effect tho. I see big ad boards everywhere including the bus station at Zhongguancun, Beijing. In a nutshell, it's amusing, sort of funny, nice animation with fairly good character settings. You might enjoy it if not being too critical.
38 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Everyone needs a little Baymax in their lives
Myusersnameiscoolokay12 April 2015
Big Hero 6 [2014] is the Disney 3-D animated comedy action film that centers on Hiro Hamada, a 14-year old robotics prodigy, Baymax (an inflatable health companion robot) and an unlikely team of superheros.

5/5 graphics. Big Hero 6 transports viewers into a new visual realm and relatively individual style (besides its anime resemblance). The story is set in the futuristic city of 'San Fransokyo'. A little of Tokyo and San Francisco in one place. This explains the amalgamation of both Japanese and American components within the story and setting. It should be noted that Big Hero 6 is not a wholly original idea, and the animation is inspired by the Marvel comic by the very same name.

Baymax. Voiced by Scott Adsit, this lovable robot is animated to appear soft, cuddly and adorable, credit goes to the graphics and writing team on this one. Hiro's close friendship with Baymax is a highlight. Baymax can hold his own on the screen alone too, just strolling through the city streets, caring for others health and well-being. So yeah, he's cute and he knows it.

Expect to have a couple of teary moments. I won't describe or skim through details, out of utmost respect for those who haven't had a chance to see it yet. Since more serious topics aren't the usual in children targeted animation films, it's a nice change of pace.

Fantastic message for the young'uns. The main character Hiro (voiced by Ryan Potter) and the rest of the superheros team study robotics at the local university (including T.J. Miller from Silicon Valley and Damon Wayans Jr from New Girl). Reach your potential, practice non-violence and exercise sacrifice. That's just the tip of the iceberg. There are more spoiler-worthy ones that will be omitted from this review entirely. By the way, it's not 'preachy' in the slightest.
81 out of 123 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great movie overall
georgecoffeynewyorker5 April 2015
I popped along to the most anticipated movie of my Babes Inflatables. Big Hero 6. The film surrounds an Inflatbles that sets about saving the a town. How it stats that is that a young kid Hiro has an amazing relationship with his Bro Tashadi. Hero starts with Robo Fighting. His bro Tashadi is exceptionally looking out for him. I've never seen such closeness. He brings his Bro Hiro to a Nerd School college kinda. Hiro is overwhelmed. He meets Baymax(INFLATBLES). He's an Inflatable Robot that is a "Healthcare Companion". They go on a journey in finding out the mysterious person who was involved the fire.

Overall a FANTASTIC film. Pure emotional at times. But fantastic. I smell a sequel on its way.
63 out of 94 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Big Hero 6 - A Must See!
london-kidd8 February 2015
I went to watch big hero 6 with my friends and I loved it. The detail of the animation itself was what stood out to me as it was beautiful - the writers were very creative with the scenes they put together. With laughs as well as heartache, this film is brilliant and a must see for all. You will fall in love with the characters instantly as they bond really well. I think most people loved Baymax, judging from all the laughs at the cinema. :)

Overall, I would definitely go see big hero 6 again. The action had me on the edge of my seat and the plot twists were great. However, I wish Dan and Phil's characters could have had more screen time, but nonetheless their parts were enjoyable. If you're someone who's on the fence about watching this film, what are you waiting for? go watch it! also, remember to stay after the credits for a surprise.
48 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very entertaining and overall well-made
ddangtruong237 February 2015
Honestly, I didn't have very high expectations for 'Big Hero 6', considering that I'm usually not a fan of Marvel's works, but I was gladly proved wrong.

Story wise, 'Big Hero 6' is rather formulaic and not too outstanding, but it's still very entertaining due to the way it balances all aspects. You have everything: drama that's not over the top but still touching, thrilling action, great comedy, and some okay twists. And more importantly, they all mix together perfectly, so you'll never get bored or frustrated, and at the same time, you will feel connected with the characters as they deal with some mature conflicts rarely seen in recent Disney products. A huge part of this accomplishment is thanks to the character Baymax. The guy is amazingly likable, steals every scene he's in, and has great contributions to every part of the movie. When the movie needs drama, he provides the sensitivity and cuteness, when it needs action, he's the coolest, and when it needs comedy, he's the funniest. His voice acting by Scott Adsit is also great as he sounds both emotional and cute, despite the robotic voice effects.

The rest of the characters, however, are hit and miss. Hiro is cool, and I like the way he deals with grief: quite mature and not excessive, though his voice doesn't sound like a 14-year-old. The other two boys in the group are okay because they tend to break away from stereotypes. But the others, including the main villains, are just cliché and forgettable.

Visually, 'Big Hero 6' is very stunning, mainly due to the lively San Fransokyo and the impressive effects. Personally, I find some of the action scenes in this to be the most cinematic and thrilling I've ever seen in animation. All of the camera movements, slow-motions, and lighting and explosion effects easily rival the best live-action blockbusters out there. Moreover, the characters' visual designs are also more imaginative than other recent Disney products'. This is especially true for Baymax, who is surprisingly expressive despite the minimalistic looks.

'Big Hero 6' is no masterpiece, and it may not be up to the standards of Pixar's classics or Dreamworks' 'How to Train Your Dragon', but nonetheless, it's still a greatly entertaining and well-made movie. I also love that it still leaves a lot open for the sequels as I now really look forward to them.
48 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't believe the negativity.
Robovikso28 March 2015
I refuse to believe that this is an awful movie that users around here with such abysmal ratings and thoughts wants you to believe it is. If you happen to read those reviews you'll find that they are only perturbed that the movie and it's story is predictable, filled with clichés, fast paced or being an idiotic film or the fact that they still don't like the idea that Marvel is being owned by the Disney Company and it's certain characters have received some brief changes.

I'm really starting to think that those users didn't take the movie seriously, just because a certain movie happens to be a "Disney" movie it does not mean that every movie from them should be the considered for doing the same typical actions. Big Hero 6 delivers more than just of those prejudices for what Disney is famous for.

If you really want to know how the movie was, let me "just a little bit" tell my experience with it. First of all the beginning of movie worked fine, it showed a good-spirited brotherhood with Tadashi for caring his little brother Hiro and giving him his thoughts of what he really should do with this gift.

Hiro as the main character reminded me a lot of Peter Parker/Spider-Man, sure just like him Hiro was a flawed character but in the movie it showed him how he shouldn't be squandering his gifts as well. I didn't find him bratty or annoying, you will find that deeply inside of him he's a good person despite being a little shy to show it.

The supporting characters are not ghosts or unnecessary filler they are indeed one of the important keys to this movie and its title. We do get to learn them well enough. What's wrong with a movie that happens to be a little fast paced? Fast paced movies can be entertaining too guys, remember Inception? But unlike that movie I got to learn the supporting characters well and they're likable as well with their own personalities. Just to inform it wasn't that extremely fast to follow.

What about Baymax? He is in my personal opinion one of the best robots in movies I have seen. I was glad to see him being both likable and smart at the same time. I had so much fun to see him learning about the humanity from both Hiro and his friends especially the Fist-Bump scenes.

Of course this movie was based upon the Comic books but I don't really understand why some people think that it's title should have been changed just because it didn't become the movie they expected. Look the movie is about how the team got created in the first place while showing a good story and reason to their build up. I strongly disagree that it should have been called Big Hero 1 or 2 no, no, no you must be kidding here :P.

But most importantly I'm happy to see that Big Hero 6 managed to deliver good moralities. I haven't seen a Disney movie having so many good thoughts since "Wreck-It Ralph". I dare to say that this movie surpasses my disappointment from "Frozen". This is not an idiotic film, there's plenty of both the entertainment and good moralities that I don't think I've seen from other previous Disney movies. Like (just an example): be careful for someone you don't know or trust yet. See?

And another thing, ignore those who says its a kids flick and that stupid prejudice about "animated films are for kids only". No! Everyone no matter the age should see this. I wasn't angry at all to find out that it won its Oscar for Best Animated Feature Film and I'm happy that finally a movie with such good-spirited presentation got what it deserved.
66 out of 99 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Almost perfect....
tonymanno27 March 2015
Hiro is a teen genius who seems to waste his time until his brother sets him on a right track. Tragedy strikes, and Hiro teams up with new friends to find the truth...eventually saving the day.

Baymax is a robotic healthcare assistant that could have been developed as the usual annoying sidekick that has the heart of gold, but he just has a heart of gold here--as in doing research, his only intention is to help whomever he can.

On a scale from 1 to 10, I rate this movie a 9 because its heart and soul outweigh the problems I have with it. Some scenes might be upsetting to younger viewers, but it is perfect for all ages.

My issues:

1. One of the characters sounds stereotypical. 2. The villain's identity and motive feel tacked on.

I know the primary audience is not going to notice things like this, but I do...and I this happens to be one of those times that I cannot let it go.
61 out of 91 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun and Incredible!
Otaku_Critic28 February 2015
Big Hero 6 is awesome! One of the best Disney movies I've seen. This movie is less cliché than the other movies which is a good thing because we are able to see something new. The story was well written and the characters were introduced properly.

Things happen in an unexpected way. Same goes for this movie because it's unpredictable and I like it that way. Another thing I like in this movie is that it can mix our emotions. There are scenes that are fun, also there are sad scenes. I thought Baymax was really going to be stuck inside the portal but later on we learn that his "memory card" is on Baymax's rocket arm. That scene made me happy at the end of the movie. And also, the funniest scene is the end credits scene where Fred sees his dad which surprisingly, is Stan Lee. Not only it had a good ending but it also had a funny end credits scene.

In conclusion, Big Hero 6 is an awesome movie. It satisfied me. Safe to say it is a child friendly movie (because it's Disney).
41 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.