Welcome to Mercy (2018) Poster

Now you see, now you don't
TheLittleSongbird13 November 2018
Was really intrigued by the concept, one of the most promising concepts for any film seen recently. Likewise with the attention grabbing title. The cover was creepy. Although the rating is as of now low, decided not to take it to mean it was going to be bad despite a lot of films seen recently with low ratings actually being that bad. Due to that there are low-rated films that to me were decent.

Seeing 'Welcome to Mercy', it may not be a great film and could have done much more with its potential. 'Welcome to Mercy' doesn't completely squander this potential though and there are good, the best very good, assets to the film, so it's far from a bad watch and a long way from a must avoid. Instead one of those watchable if uneven film worth a view once but not one of those films that will hold up to repeat viewings. Personal opinion of course.

Lets start off with the good things. 'Welcome to Mercy' looks surprisingly good, would go as far to call it great. It is very slick and stylish, with photography that does not look amateurish despite not being made on a big budget, and very atmospherically lit, a creepy moodiness is effectively evoked. The sound has an eeriness and doesn't come over as over-bearing or obvious.

Atmosphere-wise, 'Welcome to Mercy' is quite effective quite a lot of the time. There is an unsettling vibe, tension and jolting creepiness that keeps one glued, the build ups not too foreseeable and parts did make me bite my nails and my palms sweat. The third act is where the film is strongest, with great atmosphere and kept me engaged and glued to the seat, capped off by an unexpected ending. The acting is better than average and even most cases quite good.

However, the pacing is rather dull to begin with, parts could have been tightened and less stretched and not everything felt necessary, and some of the middle act could have done with more clarity in explanations, not everything makes as much sense as ought.

Despite not having a problem with the acting, the characters are thinly sketched with vague motivations and there are decisions that don't always ring true. The script tends to be pretty weak in momentum and flow (needed to be tighter and more natural) and didn't seem complete.

Overall, watchable and not a film to avoid but could have been much more. 5/10 Bethany Cox
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Too confusing and story not really well brought.
deloudelouvain26 March 2019
Beatus or Welcome To Mercy? Another movie with a confusing title. Is it one or the other, or is it both? Nobody really cares, but it's just confusing, just like the plot of the movie. It was way too confusing to keep me fully interested for the entire movie. Sometimes a simplier story telling is just way more effective than trying to be clever or artistic. The acting wasn't terrible, just not amazing either. There was definitely a dark ambiance due to the filming and soundtrack but the story just failed, it just fell unfinished and rushed at one point, or at least to me it did.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Had Potential
westsideschl7 November 2019
It had potential except that by the end I felt as if I wasted that viewing time. A slightly creative take on evil possession & exorcism, but for the most part same ol' same ol' female (almost always for some reason) - possessed; screams; looks, and at times, speaks demonically; floats a bit; tosses things about. The almost creative part is the inheritance of the possession. The downside, too many flashbacks & confusingly not clear what the background story is of her possession. Lighting was excessively dark, difficult to see for much of the film (I actually had to check my TV settings.). Positive: Good to see a film w/Latvian origins.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
black book stuff
ops-525353 November 2018
This film has got great artistic skills, but it is very hard to make sense of the story. It's like the spheres of Dante's hell, skipping like a futon from sphere to sphere. I also learn that the equation priest plus nun means baby from hell... Exorcisms there are but not like the mainstream ones. Some freaky moments, but not to bad to digest.summasummarun is I sit with more questions than answer when I leave this one. It's barely recommendable-
19 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Intriguing Horror
Pairic10 April 2020
Welcome To Mercy: Stigmata, possession, a convent of strange nuns on an isolated island, a creepy priest, twisting tinelines. Some good levitation and demonic strength scenes. But there are no real jump scares and the horror is darkly psychological and builds up through mood and mind games. A few interesting twists and reveals. The writer of the screenplay, Kristen Ruhlin, plays the main character Madeline who returns to Latvia from the US to visit her terminally ill father. Along with Ruhlin Director Tommy Bertelsen delivers an intriguing horror film. 7/10. On Netflix.
Good movie - worth watching
mjsreg5 November 2018
This is a well made movie with an interesting story line and you are never sure which direction it will go in until the end.

The acting is superb as with every character being believable and which take you into their world.

Well worth watching.
15 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Truly Unique but Filled with Questions
twelve-house-books5 May 2019
Who are these people. Is the ginger nun really the Mother Superior on some kind of messiah complex trip? A brand new take on the Exorcism genre, but very questionable theologically. Mildly scary. PG rating.
4 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
FROM THE DESK OF GEORGE WASHINGTON
Good Morrow.

I dig the IFC midnight flicks and always get excited when I see their logo. Sadly, and disappointing this was a big fail. So much potential built up in the First Act that is absolutely squandered by the mind-numbing slow pace.

The acting is solid, the use of natural light was a nice touch, the Latvian location (I believe), was unique, and the creepy nuns...all great ingredients to a solid horror.

...but, it's slow and, at times, hard to follow and the payoff at the end just isn't worth it.

With all that, I am scoring it low, but I do think this film had potential and I believe the crew behind it did a good job...just the final product didn't work for me.

Cheers.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Slow beginning with a clever ending
MovieQween-3362229 March 2019
Give this one a chance if you like a good horror story. You won't see floating ghosts or anything super cheesy which I liked. Most of the story occurs in the second half of the movie so just be patient. Definitely surprised me in a good way! It wasn't like other movies and definitely was original which I really liked.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A rich atmosphere thick journey into the exorcism mythos
scb_coldsteel15 November 2018
So I just saw Welcome to Mercy at the theater. I knew next to nothing about the movie walking in other than it was an independent horror film. It turns out knowing nothing about the film initially helped greatly as I watched the film with zero expectations of what would occur. Overall I enjoyed the film for what it was.

The initial plot of the film follows a woman who is visiting her estranged family and the supernatural events that lead to a possession. The woman is sent to a covenant where she encounters nuns filled with secrecy. No one is who they seem and at every turn the woman encounters secrets and dangers. From there the film evolves into a dense and atmospheric suspense driven mystery about just what is going on.

The best parts of the film definitely deals with twisting the viewers expectations. Is the film about possession? Is it a cult of supernatural nuns? Is it a psychological nightmare dealing with trauma and delusions? The film leads in so many directions it's easy to get wrapped up in your own hypothesis of what will happen next.

The film has a meticulously slow pace that constantly leaves you wondering which direction the film will head in. I found myself constantly on the edge of my seat wondering where this strange and suspenseful journey would take me.

The film is also very well directed. A lot of care was put into crafting a suspense driven and heavy atmosphere that constantly left you with a feeling of unease. Sound and cinematography were expertly used to keep you on the edge of your seat. The movie is wrapped in many layers of intrigue and provides a number of twists that I didn't see coming.

That all being said this is certainly not a film for everyone. It doesn't quite deliver on the traditional scares or provide any new ground on the exorcism mythos. The movie also had a few pacing issues that slowed it down to a snail's pace at times. The movie may also be a tad bit too ambitious for its own good as the ambiguity of the plot progress did feel a tad bit forced.

I enjoyed the film for what it was. It was far more of a densely textured atmospheric thick psychological journey than a traditional horror film. This is a case where the journey is more rewarding than the end. A 7.25 out of 10.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent movie, well crafted on many fronts.
tkaine34 November 2018
Welcome To Mercy (2018) This movie isn't the scariest film in the genre of exorcisms although it has it's share of creepy moments but the film puts a little spin on the genre by adding the stigmata element also. What sets this film apart is great acting and a superb original storyline. Compiled with a great encompassing score this film is a delight for horror fans who like a film that comes together at the end and makes some sort of sense. Very underrated and the pace of the film moves fairly well so you don't have to fear scenes that drag you through boredom. I give it an 8 definitely worth a watch and most horror fans should enjoy it.
6 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not a remake
the_nephilim712 November 2018
No, this is NOT a rip-off or remake of Stigmata. This movie goes so much further into actual stigmata and presents both sides of the dilemma. Welcome to Mercy is a haunting portrait of one woman's nightmares. Highly recommend!
8 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I thought it was a fair film
vmalast5 December 2018
It wasn't great and it wasn't bad either. I'm definitely going to watch it again. I have no clue where other reviewers got the idea that this was supposed to be like the movie Stigmata. There is absolutely no plot comparison. Yes, a stigmata is shown very briefly in the film but, that's about it. It was well done and very interesting. If you're looking for blood and guts, you won't find it here. All in all a good film.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Didn't care of it one bit!
ScottDWhalen8 January 2019
Yea I didn't really care for this. Once it got to the end & the plot really laid out it started to make sense, but I was expecting some kind of horror movie out of this & it was NO WHERE NEAR it at all. Nearly every movie write that do "scary/horror" in my eyes need to go back to the drawing board! PERIOD!
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't believe the hype
orionhi18 August 2021
It's a slow confusing movie and 80% is filmed in the dark so you can't see what's going on. It's not worth your time. Trust me.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Great modern horror movie"
Matt3453 November 2018
This is a movie of two common genres: one being the modern type of "great movie" which have all the density of test footage and in which basically nothing is going on, and the second is the type of horror film which tries to achieve "horror" primarily by annoyance, like unsettling sounds, even jump-scares galore (classily packaged, of course) and generally annoying behaviours of characters who are always strained, on edge or extremely hostile or screaming. The result is something that cannot be called trash, but that can hardly be commended in any way either, unless you want to jump on the bandwagon.
4 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unique spin on the Exorcism genre but...
stephenherman2 November 2018
Very unique spin on the Exorcism genre but you'll have to wait until the 3rd act (the reveal) for you to really appreciate it the film on a whole. It's well acted, very atmospheric, but the it's pretty slow until you get to the finale. It relied too heavily on the twist at the end and that wasn't enough to carry the entire film.

Take Sixth Sense of example. The big twist is what made that movie awesome, but even without the twist it's still a good entertaining film. That's all that needed to happen Welcome to Mercy, because they had everything else going for it. Just wish they would have spent more time developing the first 2/3 of the story as well as the did the end, then this could have made it's way up the ranks of exorcism classics. Missed opportunity here. But again, very unique take on it. I commend the writer for that.
20 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Slow
macfaefan18 March 2019
Kept a slow pace all through movie. Nothing outstanding during or the ending .
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So tired of this genre
darabisam10 April 2020
They are all in the bed and then rise. Stop this nonsense repeating scenes. Not scary, no good storyline. Just the noise of cat was scary if they made a horror movie about the white Cat, it would be more scarier.
3 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dark Dreary Depressing so much potential
desertship-782466 November 2018
Atmospheric movie, great acting, good musical scores however not very well executed in terms of great story telling. There were many confusing moments, boring noir scenes, and dark depressing feeling of hopelessness, which I understand is the aim of the producers. However the confusingness of the whole ordeal left much to be desired.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dark, tantilizing mystery
darkmomo-818317 September 2020
I seem to be in the minority here, but I loved this movie. It was way different than I thought it would be and I personally never found any part of it slow. Then again I love shows like Castle Rock which might seem pretty slow to others. I love when mystery is involved in horror and I have to wait until I can find out what's going on. I definitely liked this movie and I'm really picky. There was a confusing moment there and some things I kinda rolled my eyes at, but I do that with most films. I'd watch this one again.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wrong genre and absolute garbage
ashley-kleynhans2 December 2018
This movie is supposedly a thriller but is actually more of a horror than a thriller. Its one of the worst horror movies ever made though. I am rating it a 1 out of 10 because I have to, but it actually deserves a negative rating for being such a load of garbage and waste of time. I have never seen a worse move than this in all my life. I want the wasted hours of my life back. The leading actress doesn't do a bad job of her acting skills, but the story is just stupid. Who in their right mind would think that this kind of story is anywhere near good? It is the kind of thing I would expect a pupil to write in a school essay, not something for an actual movie to be made about, it is not good enough for movie material. The people who decided that the script was worthy of making a movie deserve to be fired because they are clearly incompetent at their jobs.
9 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A genuinely fresh take on possession
alexfiles3 August 2021
Thoughtful, mature, and pleasantly surprising writing, with some genuinely creepy moments. You don't fully know what's happening until fairly close to the end, but stick around for the ride! It's a good one!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Non-Horror film fan who loved this movie
leppakt8 June 2019
Frankly, Horror flicks are typically not my favorite genre of film. I usually like good dramas, with good writing and good acting, and subtle directing and editing that helps to tell the story. With some notable exceptions, I usually do not find those things in most horror films. When I looked up the film on IMBD.com, before going to a special screening in Woodstock, IL. I saw that there was no Meta score (average rating among critics), but they did list a user rating (from 23 people) of 3.8 out of 10. With that limited knowledge, I was expecting to be disappointed once again by another mediocre horror flick. I couldn't have been more mistaken. I found the acting wonderful, the dialogue and story were engaging throughout, the pacing was note perfect - it was quick cut when needed with good sound editing to heighten the suspense of those moments, and subtle and unforced so as to allow the emotion and meaning from building and sinking in with the audience. Even the one technical element which I felt somewhat annoyed by, the thorough use of a hand held camera throughout most of the film explains itself to be an innate part of the storytelling by the end of the film. I love films which use camera movement, and editing tricks to add to the story telling, and in hindsight I am very impressed with the choice of the technique used there. There were a couple of times where the voices whispering to the main character moved too fast for me to fully follow; perhaps this was a storytelling technical choice as well, since it was limited and did not affect my understanding of the plot and the flow of the story. I really loved the film. If I had to come up with something negative it would be with a personal uneasiness with films that promote beliefs that there are evil forces which warrant extreme measures used upon human beings. I think those ideas could potentially influence extreme persons to do harmful things. I felt similarly with regard to the well received film The Exorcism of Emily Rose from 2005, for another example. Yet, I know horror films are not usually films to look towards for noble moral messages, and I see that as a very modest personal perspective which did not take away from my full enjoyment of the film. My favorite type of film is the kind with good acting which uses the intimacy of film to draw me as an audience member into a sense of identification with the actors, and the story. This film did so extremely well. I expect I will wish to watch this film again soon when it's available so I can appreciate it once again with the understanding that the technical choices were not mistakes but intended to add to the story. I also plan to share my strong recommendation with friends and family members.
1 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastic quality horror
hstaunton27 June 2021
A slow burn horror - what a fantastic storyline and superb acting - if you're after gore this isn't for you, if you're after an intelligent well acted film then this is definitely not to be missed.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.