Insidious: Chapter 2 (2013) Poster

Scares over sense.
Jarek Gunther19 September 2013
Insidious: Chapter 2, the sequel to the 2011 hit Insidious and directed by the same guy, James Wan. This is...um...less than the first...but I'm not sure if that makes it good...for me at least.

So, here's the story: Immediately after the events of the first one, the father named Josh, played by Patrick Wilson rescues his son, who possessed a supernatural ability to travel through different worlds. He came across the dark spirit world, inhabited by demons. After Josh gets his son out, it turns out he was possessed by a woman in black. Possessed, Josh kills Elise without anyone noticing. Josh's wife, Renai, played by Rose Byrne, tries to defend her husband that he wasn't responsible. While that's going on, strange activities occurs just like in the first and the scares are placed here and there for the audience to jump.

So what are the problems with this movie? Well first off, Josh being released after being suspected in murder? Shouldn't he be in custody or something? Like being held? If he's a suspect in murder, he shouldn't be around people. I know it's dramatic irony, but this is still weird. Aside from that, there are some things that aren't explained and they make no sense. I won't say anything here, but...needless to say, it's pretty hard to swallow.

The scares...they're a bit step back from the previous film. They're not bad, they're just not as subtle as the first. Also another problem. In the first film, they follow the "rule of Jaws" when they don't show the monster until the last third. Here, they show it no time flat. And they jump scares in this movie can be a little too over the top silly and I daresay-- pretty damn cheesy. In fact, that's what James Wan's biggest weakness. His scares are scary, but they are a bit "in your face". His other film, The Conjuring, worked so well because not only were there jump scares, but there were a lot of moments when you can just take in the unsettling atmosphere. James Wan does do that in his movies and he did in this, but not as much as The Conjuring did.

With all these problems, does that this movie is bad? ...not necessarily. The good stuff are the performances, the twists and how the plot explains more. But to be honest, the twist raises more questions. Never answered, of course, how the twists play out and that it does answer some questions from the first film is pretty interesting.

So, yeah. It's a mixed bag to say the least. It's not good, but it's not terrible. The first beats the sequel by a lengthy distance, but the good stuff is pretty satisfying. If you want to see it and have a jump scare fest, you won't be disappointed. I probably would see it again if I'm bored, but go ahead and see it and give your own take on it.
34 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Cash grab? probably.
DustinRahksi14 September 2013
The Wan hype train is rolling through this film, there for it will make a lot of money just because of The Conjuring. I don't hate James Wan, I just hate the people that d**k ride his films, probably because horror is complete trash now-a-days, and this is the closest thing people see as good horror. But in reality, it's mediocre and nothing special. The Conjuring was a well made film, but it was downright horrible in every other category, including the most important thing, atmosphere/scares. Luckily this film was more of a thriller than it was a horror film, they recycled the exact some scares from the first film. I'll explain.

The plot is alright in the sense that it actually has a thought out story line, even if it is down right stupid at times. All the characters return, even those annoying comic relief paranormal specialists. You can pretty much guess the plot just by watching the trailer, every thing is obvious, except for when they stretch out the BS. There is some time travel nonsense that is just plain ridiculous. Is there infinite realities, is this Bioshock or a ghost movie. It really tries to have this mind bending plot line, but it just had me rolling my eyes. It's about as clever as the swing away twist in Signs, that's pretty bad. The ending should be left as it is, if not, we are looking at the next paranormal activity, the BS will just go on and on, but people will see it. In fact, James Wan could be described as paranormal activity, over hyped, appeals to the masses, even if it completely ruins his films. He makes his films dirt cheap, and wrings in the cash from the general audiences.

The music is still loud as hell, or quiet to the point you can't even hear it. The acting is fine, they get a pass. There is no tension, no good scares or atmosphere. You never feel a sense of urgency, or fear. It is all around horrible as a horror film. But it was pretty entertaining, and just all around fine. You'll roll your eyes more than you'll jump in terror. The story was wrapped up, but that old Hollywood money machine will still be sniffing around this franchise.
27 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
James Wan must of been working on the conjuring while some one else directed this movie
Benjamin2614 March 2015
title says all..........

There is NO way James directed this movie or made the final decisions on the editing as its so poorly done and NOTHING like all his awesome movies it just doesn't make sense ??

it was painful to watch this movie.... I needed to watch the conjuring just to was the sins away.

trust me its better then 90% of the rest of the horror genre but not up to his standards.

not even close.

hopefully part 3 will be beter.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Disappointing
Juanchy Gz1 June 2014
First of all, I have to say that I am a fan of Horror Movies, and personally I don't believe that about " Sequel is not as good as the first one " because I have seen a lot of sequels that have been much better than the first movie. About this one, I really liked the first, I could say it even scared me really hard. But this sequel was not needed, and is even worse they didn't put any special effects in this, if they did, then it was really sad. Giving a 4/10 due to the acting. I think it was not bad. About the movie, is not a worth-watch being honest. So if you watched the first one, liked it and you don't want to get disappointed, just skip this movie.

Sorry for my English.

Honestly, Juanchy.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Really bad
lauramcgillivray18 October 2014
The storyline, script and acting in this film are all so terrible. Allow me to give you an example at one point Rose Byrne's character exclaims "I can't relax! There's ghosts everywhere..it's like we're already dead!" her husband responds "No, it's not! This is nothing like being dead...I know...I have seen it"

I feel like this really summarizes just how bad the film is - even worse than the first one. I do not understand how these films have such a high rating on here. I love horror films but ended up turning this off out of boredom and frustration from having to continually turn the volume up and down when I was deafened by really loud bangs. I feel like there is going to be a third one and I am almost looking forward to it just to see how bad it will get.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Scary Fun
www.ramascreen.com12 September 2013
We horror fans have been spoiled this past year, we've had it good because director James Wan brought us The Conjuring and now Insidious: Chapter 2, if this film had been any scarier, the world may stop spinning, it is that scary. It's terrifying but it's also fun because of that Ghostbuster-esque duo with their mormon missionary type outfit on, who return to once again provide the humor for this franchise. But seriously, James Wan has mastered this genre and made it his own. To me, Wan is like this generation's Dario Argento. Wan and screenwriter Leigh Whannell prove to be a winning team and they've brought us a sequel that's just as good or even better than the first film. Now, I'm going to try to do this review without spoiling details, and it's going to be hard but I'm going to try to the best of my ability. INSIDIOUS: CHAPTER 2 takes us back to The Lamberts who went through basically hell over their son's essence being trapped in this realm called The Further. Now, what's extremely cool about how Wan and Leigh crafted this sequel in that they play it in a way that this realm The Further becomes a connection, a bridge between the first and this second movie. There would be little instances like a door suddenly opens by itself in the first film, and this sequel shows you why the door did that. There are countless sequels out there that try hard to expand on something while begging audiences to check out the first film again, but the way that is done in INSIDIOUS: CHAPTER 2 is clever. Folks who've seen the first movie would be amused, folks who haven't seen it would practically beg to watch the first movie after they're done viewing this sequel, and all of it much thanks to this realm that Wan and Leigh created, anything can happen in it, you can travel through time, you can travel through places, ghosts can get you there, and you can even get trapped in it, it's like a zone or a dimension that probably Rod Serling himself would wish he had thought of it. James Wan is a great horror director because he knows exactly what scares you. That idea that somebody may be there watching when you can't really see anybody there at all. It's that uneasy feeling that slowly but surely creeps up on you and then strikes you in a heartbeat without mercy, it's that old ghostly tale told by some kind of expert who has gone through the experience years prior, Wan knows exactly which elements that would not only scare you but would also leave you scared long after the movie's done. INSIDIOUS: CHAPTER 2 offers all that and a bag of chips, one can even call this movie, INSIDIOUS: The Origin Of The Bride In Black. While they're dealing with what may or may not have happened to Patrick Wilson's character, they discover a certain backstory that explains the motivation for the Bride In Black. While a certain past or a certain childhood is a dealt with and as they try to close the chapter on The Lamberts, they open a new way to a possibility of the team of experts going to another family, because this is a world where The Further has taken the front seat, it has become the lead star and the face of this franchise. I think INSIDIOUS: CHAPTER 2 won't disappoint the fans, and I guarantee you'll have a jolly good fright at the theaters.
60 out of 91 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A wonderful breakdown of modern horror...
Zach Weandesh2 October 2014
"Insidious – Chapter 2" takes place right after the events of the first movie. In order to bring the audience up to speed, it opens up with 15 minutes of purposely stilted exposition. But not only those first minutes are a true gem of writing! Dialogues throughout the movie will fascinate every viewer, in how far removed they are from actual human speech and emotion. To emphasize this disconnection from the human condition, all lines are delivered by a group of wooden mannequins cleverly disguised as actors. Although this has been a bold choice by the director, the expression known as 'dull surprise' is always spot on.

The film also raises many questions, it boldly does not answer: Why is a suspected murderer not in custody? Why does a wife and mother, who must know that her husband is possessed by a ghost, does not act on this knowledge? How do the two paranormal investigators know, that a knife was just pulled? And does a knife really make a 'swing' sound, although the one who pulls it just held it behind his back?

This film uses all the horror-film tropes you love and can't get enough of, like:

1) The ghost in the mirror!

2) The false 'standing behind the door' reveal!

3) Baby in danger!

4) Scary children!

5) Scary nursery rhymes!

6) A abandoned hospital/mental institution!

7) Ominous pointing.

8) Ghosts ominous pointing.

9) Ghosts ominous pointing white screaming and/or cackling.

10) The "...you cannot have seen him, he just died this morning." Scene!

11) At least five instances of a noisy, scary and inexplicably moving toy!

12) Ghosts wearing antiqued clothes while sitting with their back to the camera!

13) The self-unscrewing screw!

14) Explaining the obvious!

15) The murderous husband bashing through a locked door! (As seen in "The Shining")

16) The son disguised as his mother, murdering people! (As seen in "Psycho")

17) Dissolving walls! (As seen in "Silent Hill")

18) An ending that sets up a third installment!

This movie also takes a break from well-timed, well-placed, non-predicable and terrifying jump-scares. No longer will your heart-rate be raised by a sudden shock, that impairs your movie-experience! No, this film fires so many Jump-scare-'duds' and loud noises at the viewer, that after the first third of its runtime you won't care anymore .

And if you expect the 'loud noises' to match up with the pictures you see on the screen, you will be pleasantly surprised, because "Insidious - Chapter 2" breaks new ground! These noises always come a bit too late, which gives you the opportunity to be prepared and not startled by the sudden increase in volume.

Especially noteworthy is the one scene, where the baby-bed is revealed to be empty. A dramatic zoom, a loud noise and then BANG!: The instant reveal, that the baby just had fallen out of the bed. Scenes like this are a well thought out statement, how horror movies are desperately fishing for cheap scares.

But wait there is more!

Like the well-beloved "weak wrist" camera-work, when a scene is meant to be truly intense! A blatant and artistic disregard for how tin can telephones are supposed to work! A time-travel story! Time traveling ghosts! Where else, outside of Doctor Who, can you find something like this?

I warn you! This film is a movie you should not watch alone, because all the quips and witty remarks you will inadvertently come up with, would be otherwise lost to the silence.

---

The Insidious Drinking Game:

"Fake" Jump-Scare (x1)

Scary Toy (x1)

Jump-Scare Sound-Mismatch (x1)

Tin Can Phones don't work that way (x2)

Drink one each time you think: "....sure this isn't Christian Slater?"
14 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
James Wan continues his streak of solid horror flicks, and improves on Chapter 1.
Big_D_Box_Office_Score12 September 2013
Insidious brought us the usual haunting story, with a couple new elements sprinkled in. Chapter 2 does a great job of furthering itself from the usual fare, by expanding on the elements that made it different. One on the elements of this franchise is the focus on "Astral Projection", which is a person subconsciously leaving his/her body and traveling though a spirit realm (called the "Further" in this movie), leaving the body empty until the soul returns. While projecting, the soul can interact with other spirits, good and bad. Chapter 2 picks right up from where the first ended (SPOILER FOR THE 1ST MOVIE! SKIP TO NEXT PARAGRAPH TO AVOID!) - the father succeeds in rescuing his son's soul, but something else has taken the father's body in the process. Is it as scary as the first? That's debatable...if you liked the scares from the first movie, then you'll get a kick out of some of the tension- filled moments in this one. If you weren't a fan, then it'll probably just be more of the same. My opinion - slightly fewer scary moments, but definitely a few quality jumps, perhaps of a higher quality than the first. (There's one 3-hit combo in particular that I thought was really good.) I will say that I enjoyed how the total story has evolved. Chapter 2 adds a few layers to the lore of this franchise that sparked my interests, and gives it some good depth. The script is infinitely better this time around. Patrick Wilson outdoes his previous performance, and I love anything that Barbara Hershey does. We even get a few laughs here and there. And James Wan does well to use the 'common-sense-as-viewers- applied-in-the-movie' technique again. Without giving anything away...when you get a blatant warning, YOU LISTEN TO IT. Sound editing was much better this time around, although they still rely a good amount on the usual dead silence broken by LOUD CRASHES OF NOISE AND CREEPY MUSIC... Overall, Chapter 2 makes several improvements on the first, and while, depending on your tastes, this sequel may or may not be as scary as the first, I think it's tough to deny that this is a all-around better, more entertaining movie. And, being such a low-risk, low-budget project, I'm sure a 3rd movie will be justified. Insidious: Chapter 2 scores a 3.5 out of 5 on the BDBOS.
86 out of 144 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
If you were a fan of the first, you will love the second installment
puppycupcake12 September 2013
The movie picks up right where the first left off, and really gives you the back story of the family and why they are going through everything they are going through. They style is very similar, and there is so much originality and style that you just don't see with today's modern horror story flicks. There are plenty of scares, plot twists, surprises, a-ha moments, and plenty of tense moments and horror. I really enjoyed it just as much as the first. I got to see The Ultimate Insidious Experience which was a back to back double feature which was really cool to refresh what had happened in the first. There are moments that explain cleverly scenes that didn't make sense in the beginning but are cleverly resolved in the end. I have always loved the first Insidious and the second is equally as good in my book. If you didn't like the first, you won't like the second. It's just a great spooky, scary, haunted house, ghost, abandoned hospital story that is well-done and leaves you very satisfied at the end. They leave it open for further sequels that are sure to follow. A definite must-see for any horror movie fan.
109 out of 186 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Lived up to the hype
MDebs2212 September 2013
All week I was digging around trying to find critics' reviews about this to see what they thought at their early screenings. Well, it wasn't good, and I was feeling let down already. They all basically said the same thing; that the jump and scare moments were plenty, but that's about it. The story is too convoluted and it just isn't as good as the first one. Also, there is too much humor and wit in it, and it takes away from the tension buildup. But would that stop me from seeing it first chance I get Thursday night? As a die-hard of demon movies and of the first Insidious, nothing was going to stop me.

When the movie opened with the original Insidious creepy sound of high-pitched instruments, I was very excited. I sat back and prepared to enjoy the ride. And did I ever. At the conclusion, I immediately knew that this installment was more horrifying than the first one. I'm not saying the story was better, or that it was written, acted, or any other cinema verb you could think of done better, because that's still up for debate. But what I knew for sure was that this was more terrifying than the first one. And that's the whole point of scary movies, right? To be terrified? A handful of the jump and scare moments will stick with you, that's for sure. Patrick Wilson did an amazing job, as he has done in his recent string of scary movies. While the two goofy underlings to Elise do bring humor to the table, I don't think it takes much away from the overall dread and terror. At least not as much as critics are saying it does. What I loved about this movie besides the scares, was that it tied together some things from the first one. I wasn't expecting that. You'll see what I'm talking about when you see it though. You'll probably say something along the lines of what I said when it was happening.."Wow, that was beautifully planned out and executed. Props to the writers there." The story is more complicated than the first one, but if you can keep up, you'll really appreciate and enjoy it. And the complexity of it will make it a movie worth seeing multiple times in order to catch everything. Be prepared to jump a mile in your seat at some of the parts. Then laugh while your heart rate comes back down. I'm giving this a 9/10. But that is pretty biased because of my love of the first movie. So more realistically, 8/10.
83 out of 149 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It's different but it does live up to the first chapter
kluseba15 September 2013
If you happened to like the first chapter, you will also like the second even though there are a few differences between both movies.

First of all, the second chapter kicks off with a more gripping story line and a few good scares while the first part took its time to introduce everybody. As the second movie is based on quite the same characters as the first movie, there is no need to lose precious screening time and the movie doesn't. This movie's pace is definitely faster and quite gripping from the beginning to end.

The second movie also has a more complex story line. While the first movie left us with a few unsolved questions and problems, the second film resolves them all in a quite logical way. In fact, there are multiple story lines here that are though easy to digest and to follow and that all lead to a dramatic ending. We see some scenes that happen in Josh's past, other things that have happened in the first movie or just after, a couple of scenes playing in "The Further" and finally the main story line in the now and here. Some scenes show us the past and present family life of Josh, others focus on the works of the ghost busters who try to help them. All in all, the story in here is much more intelligent and profound than in the first film which is something I didn't expect. The characters are even more attaching than before and you are really happy to see some of them again. In addition to this, the few new characters of good or evil character are really great and welcome additions to the plot. That's why this movie is one of the rare really convincing sequels as it lives up to the brilliant first movie.

The movie has a few really good scares of course but overall the first movie was a lot creepier and more disturbing. In fact, you happen to know what is going on if you have seen the first movie and that's why you aren't that shocked or surprised anymore. This being said, you absolutely need to have seen the first film if you want to try out this one because if you don't know the first chapter, you won't fully understand the second.

"Insidious - Chapter 2" has a few very memorable scenes and maybe even more than the first one. My favourites were the dice play that unveiled the hidden knife, the creepy but not evil mystery man in the first scene in "The Further" and the scene with Marilyn and her mother. In some scenes, you can see that the second chapter is not only influenced by its own first part but also by several genre classics. The mystery man recalled me David Lynch's "Lost Highway" while other scenes reminded me of the evil Bob of "Twin Peaks". The ending of the movie has many moments that made me think of the legendary "The Shining". I guess these references are more than just good as so is this movie.

In the end, you really should watch this horror film of the year in the movie theatres but I may give you a few advices to end up my review. Just avoid going to the movies at popular screening times such as Friday or Saturday night. I have read and also personally experienced a lot of noisy people who are talking all the time and laughing out loud just to calm down and try not to show how afraid they really are.

Second, you should keep your feet on the ground and not try to eat or drink too much during the movie. Some scenes suddenly get very scary and could lead you to throw away your popcorn and pour some coke on your clothes or those of your neighbour. If your potential girlfriend isn't all that much into horror movies or a Gothic, please don't take her out to witness such a movie.

Third, you shouldn't drink or eat too much before watching this film. The movie has a few uglier scenes than the first one even though they are not disgusting. The thing is that you have a glimpse at a few disturbing things but your vivid imagination might think further and that's where this fantastic movie automatically leads you to a few nastier thoughts. If you have a weak heart, if you are a very nervous person or if you are pregnant, please avoid this movie for your own security.

Anyone else, please enjoy this atmospheric contemporary horror masterpiece.
53 out of 93 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Things that go bump in the night
Brian Taylor12 September 2013
When you are making a horror movie it always helps to have a few things around in the movie in order to help set the mood. Things like creaky old doors, a piano, and preferably an old and creepy looking house. Now these are not absolutes, but they can help for sure. Horror movies are not like other movies, because there are so many possibilities for sequels, just look at the "Friday the 13th" series. In 2011 James Wan and Leigh Whannell brought us "Insidious", a story about a family that had unwelcome visitors in their house. The supernatural kind.

That family, the Lamberts, have gotten away from their house and the experience they had in it. Josh (Patrick Wilson), Renai (Rose Byrne), and their three children are all safe and move in with Josh's mom. At the beginning of the film you find out this is not Josh's fist experience with a sprit. It seems Josh has a gift where he sees dead people and with the help from Elise (Lin Shaye) he forgets that gift, until he uses it again to save his son from a place the living shouldn't be. That place I imagine is the same place Carol Anne from "Poltergeist" was in as well, but instead of talking through a TV, a tin can phone is used to communicate to the other side. Renai senses something is not right about Josh, a sentiment that is shared by Josh's mother as well. So with the help from a man named Carl (Steve Coulter) and two guys who provide the comic relief, they all set out to free Josh and his family from the evil that haunts them.

The story picks up exactly where the first film ended, which makes the chapter 2 a perfect title. There are so many more possible chapters to this story, because let's face it there are a lot of ghosts out there. "Insidious: Chapter 2" is part ghost story and part detective story, as we try to unravel what is following the Lamberts around. Lucky, unlike what he did with "Saw" we are still under the direction of James Wan and he keeps us on the same path as the first film. If you are going for jump out of your seat frights, then this is not the film for you. There are some moments that may make you jump a little, thanks to some good camera work, but this movie is more like "Seven" than say, "The Conjuring". In a genre that seems to be getting everything right at the moment, "Insidious: Chapter 2" doesn't disappoint. The only thing that could improve, is to have a little less common sense moments, you know those moments where a character does the thing everyone knows they shouldn't. I think it is very fitting to release this film on Friday the 13th, because like that franchise, you hope this one also has a long life making us afraid to sleep with the lights off.

Brian Taylor

35 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Adequate and decent sequel filled with scary deeds , thrills , chills and lots of scares
ma-cortes26 June 2014
Supernatural horror plenty of weird phenomenon , frights , creepy beings , shocks , and eerie events . The Lambert family formed by father (Patrick Wilson) , mother (Rose Byrne) and children move temporarily into the old house of Lorraine Lambert (Barbara Hershey). Lorraine is the old friend of formerly deceased Elise Rainier (Lim Shaye) , she brings again the group of ghost hunters Specs (Leigh Whannell , also screenwriter) and Tucker (Angus Sampson) to resolve the ghastly mystery . The haunted Lambert family seeks to uncover the mysterious childhood secret that has left them dangerously connected to the spirit world . Little do they know that the house is haunted . The family looks to prevent evil spirits from a realm called The Further .

This is a haunted child movie that contains restless horror as when the invisible and threatening beings attack . The story is split between the present day and 1986, where a young Elise Rainier is called in to help Lorraine Lambert and her son , again starred by Patrick Wilson as Josh Lambert , Rose Byrne as Renai Lambert , Ty Simpkins as Dalton , Lin Shaye a Elise Rainier , Barbara Hershey as Lorraine Lambert , Steve Coulter as Carl and Leigh Whannell as Specs . Tension , creepy atmosphere , genuine chills , suspense is continued and appear lurking and menacing into dining room , hallway , basement and rooms . Great loads of screams , shocks , exploitation and terror abound with the usual poltergeists phenomenon caused by the weird entities . It's recreated with magnificent make-up and high grade plethora special effects which are frightening and horrifying the spectator . Writer Leigh Whannell stated at the Toronto Film Festival that when he wrote the film he had a list of horror movie clichés posted above him, so he could avoid using them ; he said the first one was to make sure the family moved into a new house once the haunting started . Eerie musical score by Joseph Bishara creating a spooky atmosphere. Dark as well atmospheric cinematography by John R. Leonetti ; a majority of the film was shot inside Linda Vista Community Hospital, which also doubles as the abandoned hospital that the characters visit .

The film was well directed by James Wan and it was shot in just a few weeks ; he even has a cameo on a computer wallpaper with Specs and Tucker . Wan is an expert writer and filmmaker on terror genre as he has demonstrated in ¨Saw¨ saga , ¨Dead silence¨, among others . James Wan subsequently directed ¨The Conjuring¨ also starred by Patrick Wilson , another terror film in which keeps it horror with yet another haunted house film . And of course , his biggest success ¨Insidious¨ , it was followed by this ¨Insidious Chapter 2¨ . Furthermore , producers are preparing ¨Insidious 3¨, as Leigh Whannell himself announced that actor Dermot Mulroney will star in Insidious: Chapter 3, making for a choice that many genre fans should love . This third film will be directed and written by Leigh Whannell . Jason Blum and his Blumhouse Productions, which produced both Insidious and Insidious: Chapter 2, is producing the next installment along with Oren Peli and James Wan . Steven Schneider, Brian Kavanaugh-Jones, Peter Schlessel, Lia Buman and Entertainment One's Xavier Marchand are exec producing.
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A truly shockingly awful film..laughable
SunSwerver18 January 2014
I saw the first and thought it was good, this however is simply a prime example of the crass commercialism of the film industry.

Every person involved in the making of this film should hang their heads in shame. Every 30 seconds your TV volume will jump 300 decibels as yet another inane shot of a window breaking, ghost appearing out of somewhere or door slamming will occur.

The script is so clumsy im sure it was written by a 12 year old.

My favourite scene to emphasise just how bad this film was is the bit when the two ghost hunters are in the van and agree that no safety word will be given to whoever his name is as they will know when he will be in trouble. Whoever his name is then has a 3 minute conversation with an evil spirit ( yawn ) but wait the two others only come to his rescue when they hear he has a knife!!! Gadzooks!! Insulting really.

Good luck if you like it, you're keeping talentless morons in swimming pools and wild egos...

As for the actors, their lack of professional integrity surprised me..
21 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Improvement over "Chapter 1"....not even close.
Chris Hager (chager)16 September 2013
Let me start out by saying that I love horror movies. Good ones. But in my opinion that's an unfortunate thing because no other movie genre is as plagued by poor quality garbage as the horror genre. The first Insidious movie was not great, but I definitely felt it was above average and deserving of the near-7 rating is has in IMDb. Very few horror films merit a rating of 7 or higher, and that is particularly true in the case of Chapter 2. Apart from some interesting ties they made between events in this film and events in the first film which made this one interesting at times, it was worse than the first one, not better. The acting by some of the characters was B-quality at best. The dialog was cheesy at times. The plot was mostly unoriginal and boring. As for evil spirits and imagery, there was nothing new introduced at all. No red- faced demon. Just the ghost of a serial killer who became one because his mother made him dress like a girl...gee, we've seen that before about a dozen times. Lazy, lazy storytelling. The rating at the time of this writing is a 7.3. I'd give it a 4 and I expect that it will trend down over time and end up at least a full point below Chapter 1, which as a 6.7 at this time.
11 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Uninspiring and dull
LisaFace21 August 2014
If watching actors walk around rooms filled with dry ice and people with lots of makeup on screaming at them is your thing then this movie should be right up your street.

The acting is substandard. The plot line confused and boring. The special effects laughable. This franchise should have been left with only one film, as unfortunately there just isn't enough material to make a compelling sequel. The original film, whilst a bit silly in parts, did manage to conjure up some good scares and jumps, whereas this attempt just lacked any kind of entertainment whatsoever.

Lets just pray there isn't going to be a part 3.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
HIGHLY entertaining :)
clearlyconfused12 September 2013
I loved this movie. Loved it, loved it, loved it. James Wan is one of the best directors of recent times and he makes his stand by offering two awesome horror movies this year. I personally preferred Insidious 2 though, as I appreciated the rich character development and the concept of the Further. There are clear references to The Shining and Psycho but this movie leaves its own mark of disturbing. Of course it's always great to add some light humor in between to dilute the scares (as they REALLY packed a punch in this second installment). So if you're kind of doubting the movie based on its bad rep, don't listen to the negative comments/reviews as this is easily one of the best movies this year. Everyone did a phenomenal job and the end product turned out a lot more satisfying than I expected.
64 out of 127 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Garbage
Shadowfied6 June 2014
Absolute garbage. This is one of the worst horror movies ever conceived. Just like the first movie, it starts of quite interesting, then it all turns into sci-fi garbage. At some points the movie doesn't know whether it wants to be a horror movie or a horror comedy movie. Most of the unsettling points are just extremely loud audio which is just silly. Can't believe this movie has such a high rating, while other highly underrated horror movies have much lower. I really wish someone could tell me what makes this movie so good. I'm DEAD serious, in the cinemas in Halmstad, Sweden when this was shown, the people - including me, were literally laughing at the end because it's so pathetic and cringe worthy.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Inferior to the First "Insidious"
Claudio Carvalho22 December 2013
After the death of Elise, Renai (Rose Byrne) is interrogated by a police detective about the supernatural events in the house. While the police investigate the house, the Lambert family temporarily moves to the old house of Lorraine Lambert (Barbara Hershey). Renai is haunted by a woman in white and Josh (Patrick Wilson) has a strange behavior at home. Meanwhile Lorraine seeks out Elise's partners Specs (Leigh Whannell) and Tucker (Angus Sampson) expecting to find answers and who killed Elise, and they summon the medium Carl (Steve Coulter) to contact Elise using his dices. The name of the hospital where Lorraine worked appears and they go to the place that is abandoned. They walk to a room that was the ICU and Lorraine recalls an incident with the terminal patient Parker Crane (Tom Fitzpatrick) that committed suicide in the hospital. They find his address, and discloses that the hideous serial- killer "The Bride in Black" was Parker indeed. Further, Lorraine believes that her son Josh is trapped in the Further and Parker has possessed his body. Carl, Specs and Tucker go to Lorraine's house and find that Lorraine's assumption is correct. How can they bring Josh back to his body?

"Insidious: Chapter 2" is a good horror movie but inferior to the first "Insidious". I am a big fan of "Insidious" that is my favorite horror movie of this century but I also do not like sequels or remakes since it is very difficult to repeat a masterpiece. James Wan uses elements from "The Shinning" and "A Nightmare on Elm Street" together with the clichés of haunted house movies to deliver this sequel. Unfortunately it seems that in 2015 is foreseen the release of a third chapter of "Insidious". Where was Kali when she vanishes? My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Sobrenatural: Capítulo 2" ("Supernatural: Chapter 2")
15 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Dreadful
Paul TABET9 December 2013
The only thing really scary about this movie is that people seem to have loved it. Compared to screen gems as The Exorcist, The Entity( with B. Hershey too ), The Omen, Scanners, The Thing, Rec, The Haunting, Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, it has absolutely nothing to offer : no characters, no atmosphere at all ( fumes ARE NOT atmosphere ), very bad storytelling, mediocre acting, a very messy story, and terrible wanna be fun moments that have nothing to do in a movie supposed to scare you. The Conjuring was far better imho, avoid this one at all costs ! I wonder how much people have been paid to review this mess as "the movie that would stop the earth from spinning were it a bit scarier". By the way, stop putting à 10/10 from a movie that is "scary but not a great movie" ! Movies that deserve a 10/10 should be a handful at most and not some rubbish made to make money on behalf of no brainers under 18 who have seen at most a 100 film in their lives( "the best horror movie I have ever seen" ). Pathetic !
26 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not at all recommended.
wfsoomro17 September 2013
I am a big fan of horror movies especially ones that have a good story and have a couple of genuine horrifying and startling scenes. Insidious is one of those movies. I was very excited when I first saw the trailer of chapter 2 and instantly made up my mind to watch it in the theater. However I was extremely disappointed with the movie. There was not a single scene in the movie that made me jump and the story was completely ridiculous making no sense at all. The direction and acting also seemed to be below par as compared to chapter one. The little comedy that they added only further annoyed me. Overall the movie was way below my expectations and after watching it, it was clear why there were only about fifteen people in the cinema hall. Money and time wasted.
21 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Brilliant Horror
Sam Lynn25 September 2013
I went into this film with fairly high expectations. They clearly were not high enough. This easily matches, if not surpasses the first instalment. I loved the first film, and this is easily the best horror sequel I have ever seen.

The storyline was fantastic, the slightly ambiguous ending of the first film was brought to light nicely, and a deeper more complex meaning behind the haunting was revealed. The full extent of the main plot line was given in chunks, so that I was always kept guessing, right up until the end.

The actors played their roles well, child acting included. The roles were believable, and the characters were portrayed nicely.

The main thing that makes this film (and the first) so good is that it is actually scary. There is hardly any violence, no blood, but they are some of the most jumpy films that I have seen. The lower budget effects are used simply and to great effect. The low key nature of the scares make them all the more believable.

Overall this is a fantastic horror film, and matching the excellent original, if you haven't seen Insidious, see it so that you can see this! If you have seen Insidious, just see this!
33 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Sequel That We Needed
Cameron Moore13 September 2013
When I heard that they were making a sequel to this, I was both over-hyped with excitement and very nervous because let's face it, sequels rarely live up to the expectations of the originals. Thankfully though, this one did not disappoint.

It starts off directly where the original left off, which is nice because there is not a huge time gap in-between. Not only do they continue chapter 2 right where the first chapter left off, but the story also goes more in-depth with Josh's past.

Will every hard-core fan of Insidious be impressed by this sequel? Of course not. Insidious: Chapter 2 felt very different from the original. It was mostly because Insidious seemed so unique at the time when it came out, and now seeing chapter 2, it is just more of the same except now people are getting possessed by the ghosts. Without giving any major spoilers away, I will say that the last 30 minutes seemed more of a "slasher" movie than a paranormal movie, which may turn some hard-core Insidious fans away.

I really enjoyed how the writers tied the first movie into this one (you will see what I mean when you watch the movie).

Overall, was it as scary as Insidious? I think so. The scares seemed forced at times due to the fact that they probably tried too hard to make the sequel as good, if not, better than the original, but it was definitely still suspenseful.

Overall 8/10. -2 stars due to the scares seeming too forced at times, which caused the movie to drag on.
22 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Absolute garbage!
CL Goodman18 January 2014
I used to love horror movies. I've decided they are basically extinct and have been for a long time. Insidious 1 was decent and I made it through the entire movie because I was engaged with the story more so than the cheesy cheap scares(that we've all seen a million times and are actually exhausting to watch). With that being said, I just rented #2 tonight and turned it off half way through. What absolute garbage --- exhausting. I am done with Hollywood junk..DONE DONE DONE! I wish I could get my 1 buck back. The acting was awful. The scares were not scary but super cheesy. The story, boring and they just tell it to you. Urgh. Don't even waste your time!
12 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Predictable bore.
killuminatitos8 December 2013
What a God awful film with wooden acting from a wooden story. They will no doubt churn another couple of these rotters before we meet our apocalypse but I for one will not be watching them. Lots of overly loud screams that's not very scary in fact every time we see our friendly ghosts they seem to just scream at our protagonists which fills me with the desire to shout back or assault my television. I don't know why we as the human species are obsessed with crap sequels but in movie history there are a handful of films worth the effort of making more of because them films (which I'm not listing but u know the ones) had a story worth the effort. Now I understand why they do it because the sheeple will watch any old crap if it was OK first time round and sold a few tickets. In conclusion it's a long winded screaming contest with predictable story and bad acting.
17 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this