Darksiders II (Video Game 2012) Poster

(2012 Video Game)

Great game
thechulives29 August 2012
So, after finishing the game, and then reading Mr. Cool's review, I have decided he is an idiot. The game has plenty of combat, and the puzzles are easy, but you still have to think for a second. I do have some complaints, though.

Why wasn't Moon Bloodgood brought back as the voice of Uriel? The new girl tries to sound the same, but she just can't quite match the emotion from the first game.

The second half of the game seemed rushed. The first two worlds are very fleshed out, lots to explore. The last two, not so much.

There are some inconsistencies with the first game, like why Uriel and the Hellguard are holed up in this one courtyard on Earth, when they spend the entirety of the first game hunting War.

And, lastly, the ending was a bit of a let down. We're not talking Mass Effect 3 letdown, here. But, who is Absolom? He is mentioned once, very early on, and almost forgotten about until you enter the Well of Souls. As the main antagonist, he's not at all developed. Even worse, he's easy to beat. Maybe it was because I'd had the majority of the Abyssal Armor equipped, but he went down quicker than many enemies in the game. Hell, the Stalkers last longer than he did.

But, those things aside, the combat was plentiful, the weapon customization was very nice (possessed weapons can be leveled up to increase stats, and each level gives you options for bonus stats, or extra increase in a current stat. I had level 17 braces with better stats than any level 23 item I've found so far) The side quests were nice. And the Crucible is an awesome addition. Definitely worth it to me.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Darksiders II - Good or bad??
kaijin-225 May 2013
After finishing DSI, and with all the promising trailers of DSII, I was expecting an excellent game. Before buying it, I "scouted" the internet for reviews, forum's, etc. After a few months I noticed 1 thing, either people loved the game or just simply hate it. So, I decided to buy the game and get my own conclusions.

I bought the game in February 2013 and I'm still playing it. I really can't understand how people don't like this game, even with all the glitches and bugs it has (I hope the company that bought DSII IP releases a new patch to correct the mistakes, specially the DLC's).

Regarding the story, for those who read the book, I think the game is a very good adaptation. The game story starts as a "save my brother quest", but, as the story goes, you realize that there's much more at stake than just clearing War's name. To summarize, when the 4 most powerful of the Nephlim where "recruited" to be the 4 Horsemen, their 1st task was to kill all other Nephilim. Death, the most powerful of the 4 became known as Kin-slayer, for is actions that day, when he killed Absolom (the final boss of DSII) which became Corruption (the evil force you fight in DSII). But Death couldn't destroy his brothers souls, and going against the orders of the Council, he kept them in an amulet which was given to the Keeper of Secrets. Eons passed, and in the first game, War is betrayed and rides to earth without the 7th seal being broken (the 4 Horsemen shall ride only when the 7 seals are broken), causing the Apocalypse and the extinction of mankind. For those actions, War is stripped from is power and imprisoned by the Charred Council for 100 years. Only after the 100 years, the story of DSI begins. In the meantime, while War is held by the council, the story of DSII begins, with Death sworn to resurrect mankind to help clear out War's name. I think some people didn't full understand the story of the 2nd game, because they thought they were playing after all the events in DSI. In fact, when we finish the game with Death, it's a few years before the time we finish the game with War, in the end of DSI, which breaks the 7th seal summoning the other 3 Horsemen. There's more information that is given as you progress in the game, giving some clues to what lies ahead and correlating the common factors with DSI. I think it's a good script.

Regarding the game play.... I have more than 200 hours playing and I'm not tired yet. The possibility of taking 2 different paths in the game Necromancer (spell-caster, more of a magician character) or Harbinger (much more physical character) extends the game play a lot. The combat is awesome, when you get to level 30 as Necromancer (my favorite build), you're like a unstoppable "killing machine", i.e. when completing the crucible is like being a centurion in an ancient Roman Empire arena defeating everything that is "thrown" at you during the 100 waves needed to complete it and finishing almost without using 1 single potion :). The possessed weapons are just an excellent feature of the game, as you can build your scythe and your secondary weapon with the stats that most suit the "path" you decide to follow. Some puzzles are quite easy to figure out, but others are difficult, not to the point where you get frustrated because no solution seems obvious, but rather more to the point that you get extremely satisfied when you finally figure it out. The platforming is very simple, it got known in the community by p.o.p.(due to the similarities with the title Prince of Persia, I think).

In all together, for a game that was developed when every employee was being fired and the company going bankrupt, I think it's pretty awesome. I bought the ps3 version for 9.99 and all 15 DLC's for the same amount, so I think spending 20 bucks for more than 200 hours of entertainment was more than worthwhile. I just hope that Darksiders III will come out in the future.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyed it massively
knox1704 September 2012
I really enjoyed Darksiders 2. It seems most of the issues I had with the 1st game have been addressed; there are more weapons so you can choose our fighting style, a much greater line of character customisation, generally more to explore in the game and the main character's one liners aren't quite so terrible. I am still dubious about the general stereotyping of the makers (blacksmith type people twice the size of Death with ridiculously proportioned bodies and huge hammers) as all having Scottish accents, and Death, the reaper, being British, and also the size of people's heads in the game in ratio to their bodies makes them all look like they have an IQ of less than 50. The story is pretty generic and not all that great, with clichés-o-rama throughout. Also, I felt there may have been a few too many unnecessary combos, I found myself using the same ones over and over, and the secondary weapon turned out to be much more effective than my scythes, being both faster and dealing more damage. But in contrast, the game looks stunning, the variation of places you go and see is still fantastic- just as in DS1, the parkour elements are fun, although easy, and the puzzles are nicely spaced and original. The boss fights are great, and the side quests are a nice addition, although there are aren't too many of them and they seem to have been added in just because the developers could. The idea of Dust as a kind of in-game hint giver was good, and meant I didn't have to resort to the wiki. In conclusion, a great game, seems to be taking a lot less from titles like Legend Of Zelda and implementing many more original ideas, while still staying a solid action-RPG. A massive improvement on DS1, I would definitely recommend it.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I haven't left a game unfinished after progressing so far into it in a long time, until now
WakenPayne5 August 2014
I usually want to see games through until the end. I thought the first Darksiders has a few problems but it was a fun hack/slash even if the map was really unclear as to where to go and thus spend quite some time of the game walking. This one? I don't know if it's that I was behind the whole "clear name of murder" stuff from the first one but this somehow got me uninterested in "resurrect everyone on the planet".

So the plot is that Death has gone out to prove War is innocent but he doesn't have evidence but he's willing to make up for that by resurrecting all the people who died on Earth due to the Apocalypse. He is transported to an afterlife which asks the question of "What religion are you guys following here?" where there are many gods and you must free them from the physical manifestation of Corruption and once you finish that you must venture into The Well Of Souls but for some reason you're in another section of the Afterlife where you have to do more roaming and cutting up bad guys until I decided to just give up.

The big complaint I have with this game is that it really overstays the amount of time needed to have you complete it. I mean Corruption manifests into a Godzilla-sized monster for you to fight - Just HOW were they going to top that? It was right outside the Well Of Souls and would have made an easy way to stop the game if afterwards you get a final cutscene of Death using it to resurrect everyone and suddenly, the ending of the first one happens. The obvious padding seems just like a sorry effort to say "This is meant to be parallel, so just extend the game time so it fits with the original Darksiders".

Then there's the Afterlife, now I'm not Christian but the game developers obviously wanted to make something like Ghost Rider with this, some kind of action/fantasy with the basis being Christian mythology but you are literally transported to a place where multiple Gods exist and where the Dead are isn't run by God, more like they appoint their own monarchy.

The last real problem with this game is the world they set it in has no and I mean NO point of actual investment or connection. I mean in the original, you aren't walking around the Afterlife, you were walking around an Earth in ruins and thus you will see what has become of it and why completing the last goal of the game is so important. Here? You're death walking around The Afterlife, this is like a Rich guy in Wall Street, which begs another question of why you fight dead guys in the Afterlife when you're whole goal is to resurrect them.

Okay, now onto the good stuff, well the puzzle solving is in this game much more - making the without warning "What? Where did this come from?!" feeling I usually got from playing the original gone because it's almost expected and the platforming is a nice and welcome addition to this series. The Hack/slash combinations are very fluent and the special abilities like raising the dead to fight with you for a brief time a nice change. I will also say with what little there is the voice acting is also nigh-on perfect. I mean Michael Wincott as Death - That is perfect, and last but not least unlike the first game - The Horseman Of The Apocalypse has his horse from the beginning.

I can also say while I really loved the comic book style art design of the first game - the art design in this one is also pretty good - even if it isn't like the original, and the RPG elements are... weird. With the talking segments you choose what death says and even after you completed it you can still ask the other questions - just in an order that's best for you. And designing what Death wears (none of them being the Grim Reaper robe you see everywhere) as is the levelling up what skills you want Death to have... I mean this isn't bad but I'm just questioning why it's there when literally the only difference is you kill bad guys in different ways.

So, this series isn't really one I'd consider worth buying. The stories are actually pretty decent and with better gameplay could have made these games the most definitive fantasy games of the seventh-generation console. But here the story is padded, the setting is difficult to get invested in and The Afterlife featured in the game asks questions that are either answered poorly or outright never explained.
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thank god I got this game for free. Total failure of a game.
FromHeroesToDust24 September 2012
Thankfully I had a coupon for a free rental at Family Video as this game was terrible. I only got about an hour into this game and had to take it back. Coming from a huge fan of the first game, the sequel is packed way too tight full of sh** that is completely unnecessary. Way too many puzzles and the controls felt really loose. Some of the enemies in the game also felt way too powerful, as well as there being so many enemies on the screen, you couldn't fight one without another ten coming at you. I also found the dodge system to be extremely lacking and broken. Press "dodge" and the character would move two steps, stop, and take damage. Skip this game. Worst game of the year hands down.
5 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Most disappointing game of the year
mirwell15 September 2012
I'm a true gamer. So I played the original Darksiders on PC, where it was a bit more polished than on the consoles. I almost didn't have any bugs and I enjoyed it so much that I played it several times. Surely, it was no God of War but it had just everything I needed: A Zelda-esk game-play, modest puzzling, a tactical fighting system and a great comic-book story.

Darksiders II on the other side seems like a DLC to the first title, completely blown out of proportion.

It's story isn't told at all. You just meet people, have no clue who they are supposed to be and they vanish again. Neither the introduction nor the ending are really told. Both are just comic-strips that retell parts of the original Darksiders.

The world is empty and lacks details. Surely, the world is bigger but there aren't any areas that stand out. Remember Darksiders, where you had to climb floating pieces of a building while Azrael kept them steady through lightnings? None of that here. Just blown up areas where you mostly run, nothing happens and your enemies re-spawn way too fast.

The combat system is basically hacking. Sure, there are more weapons, but what difference do they make, when you rule out most of them and stuck to three different ones - most times the ones that leech energy from your opponents. You can win over any boss by doing teleport slashes and hacking. And yes: the end-boss is far too easy, let alone that I still don't know who he is.

There are a lot of bugs... They had to patch it twice, because it did have SEVERAL A-bugs, meaning bugs that prevent you from going on in the game. Plus I had to restart 16 times because of clipping errors, the game stopped unresponsive, I couldn't defeat the scribe because of a glitch, etc, etc. The game was running on the same machine that Darksiders did.

Overall it feels rushed, done without love, borrows too many elements from titles like the Prince of Persia Franchise (esp. Warrior Within) and is just a frustrating experience.

This was the game I was hoping for the most this year. Turns out it's a game that I never want to play again.
3 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.