A Boy Called Sailboat (2018) Poster

Well...that was...interesting in a Good sorta way.
DuskShadow12 March 2020
This was almost like a B grade Cohens brothers film, with quick jump situational humor that most could relate to such as kids just being kids, having crushes, or just being plain innocent, then playing soccer where they are not supposed to and something bad happens. It worked at times. It was also realistic as it took place in some podunk middle of nowhere New Mexico, USA town where, unfortunately like in most of the southern states, racism runs rampant in a nonchalant and flippant way left and right. It was also unclear if the film took place in the 1970s, 80's or whenever, but there seemed to be a distinct lack of technology akin to anything even 20 years olg. NO whether this was intentional due to the impovrished state of the town in the film or it actually did take place over 30 years ago, doesnt matter too much. What ends up happening is a nice enough slice of life story about a very young boy, his family, and a nearly miraculous instance of guitar playing that rekindles the soul and awakens the heart in everyone that hears. The proviso is that you dont hear it at all, instead getting a tone def long beeeeeeep in place since, clearly, 99% of young children, let alone most people cannot play music worth anything. lol The movie was simple and understandable, and well worth a watch for something clean that the whole family can sit down with safely. 6/10
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the loveliest films I've watched in a long time
Boristhemoggy17 April 2019
It may well be one of the loveliest films I've watched in a long time, and yet I have no idea what it is about. I mean I know it's about a little boy who writes a song that we never hear but which makes the whole world happy but, I have no idea what it's about. It's kind of like David Lynch meets Disney. The direction and pace is superb, the photography is stunning, the acting is immense for what it is, and I've never seen a 7 year old boy hold an entire movie from beginning to end. This is an amazing watch.
19 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really amazed I saw this to the end.
paulatepc6611 May 2020
Got to the end but still didn't get it. Don't understand the rave reviews. Scenery - desert, acting - what acting.

Song is the key to the film, broadcast to the world reminiscent of "Oh brother where art thou" - this Film has the same crazy style.
3 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolute gem of a film
robin_sayer20 June 2020
There are some films are just art, and this is one of them. Beautifully filmed and wonderful story - It doesnt try to be something other than what it is - Just something with heart.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Definitely one of the best independent movies in a while...
Klaaatu18 April 2019
I loved this movie! It's full of thought and inspiration on life from a child's perspective.

You can only imagine back to when you were a child and how things around you and the things you do affect the world and people around you.

I won't give away the story, suffice to say that if you want to experience what it's like to be a child again, check this out!
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A simple yet profound story of a boy and his guitar
PinkPuffin6 July 2019
It's very hard to sum up this film as it's so unusual. If you like Holywood blockbusters then this is not the film for you. It is very slow, but so beautifully shot, and well acted that you are totally engrossed by it's magic, charm and quirkiness. A young boy finds a guitar, and sings and plays the most beautiful song ever written. Everyone who hears it is deeply moved and it brings happiness and peace to everyone. There are subtle comedic scenes all the way through, and the landscape of New Mexico is stunningly shot in all it's raw, stark beauty.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wonderful
gerby232312 September 2020
The sweetest, strangest little tale. Such profound and small, lovely takeaways. Quirky and simple and heartwarming. Great way to enjoy 90 minutes of your day.
Beautiful movie
otley-1969814 May 2021
If it didn't win any awards it should have.....beautiful in every way....a really good feel movie with great characters and a story that will be remembered for all its beauty.
Charming and endearing
andybl-8270126 April 2019
A sweet experience with well measured performances. A little slow in places so might not be for everyone but the little leads do give the film extra depth
12 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Can you give a film zero stars
scrivvy0110 September 2021
Boring film. I wanted to like it and I certainly tried. However it's a poorly shot and dreary film. Pretty nonsensical. How people have been conned into giving it rave reviews because its been billed as s feel good movie is beyond me.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastic movie all around!
divination0915 April 2019
Maybe not for everyone but this movie was fantastic I thought. I wasn't expecting to laugh so much. Really touching and heartwarming story with a unique mix of quirky characters. The star, Sailboat was acted really well.
11 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lovely
garymckenzie-4240722 June 2019
What a gorgeous, and charming movie. Beautifully filmed too - the warm colour schemes enhance this lovely little tale.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A true gem
papataza20 August 2018
It only happens not so often that you stumble upon a movie, book, song or any other (still obviously hidden?) gem so beautiful and fulfilling, still hidden and unknown that takes you and carries you to the sky of joy, happiness and positive emotions... We carry all what we need with us. A bedtime lifetime story. Movie full of beautiful photos and music, amazing characters, a fantasy that makes you feel better.. A true must see
32 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautifully mesmerising
mungomcghee5 May 2020
Just a lovely relaxing movie that with great acting from all characters made this film so uplifting. I was taken in by this story that had so much depth and some humour to. Excellent, I smiled all the way through even though it moved me .
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If the Cohen Brothers made a kids film
one-2617 November 2018
If the Cohen Brothers made a kids film... with an Australian bent, set it in Mexico and filled every frame with magic. You'd find A Boy Called Sailboat. Cameron Nugent has created an incredibly unique, special and instantly timeless classic.
14 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why confusion..
naninunna-9615221 May 2021
If you do confused about these limited reviews on this movie is good or not ? My opinion is it awesome. They showed how a soul Mesmerize in music, they show how cute the kids were, etc..

Every character in movie done a fantastic job. Why I'm here because there are very few reviews and when I checked them, I never thought the film is actually this good.so..
wonderful
sufyanliaqat-8337829 March 2020
I can't explain this movie in words. I cried a lot while watching this movie.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pleasant Surprise
ninkenbab23 March 2019
I was lucky enough to see this a short time ago in Silver City, NM where it was filmed. The person who made the film and all the kids from it were there for discussion/ Q&A afterwards. When the movie began all I could think was boring. Very soon after that I was pleasantly surprised. It turned into a very enjoyable, entertaining and funny movie. The kids were great. I highly recommend this gem.
9 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A genuine family movie
AussiBear19 April 2019
Quirky, offbeat and endearing. This movie has it all and a great watch for a family.
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fabulous Film!
neofut14 July 2020
Very quirky, very charming film where everything works. Wonderful writing, performances, and tone. Every shot is creatively composed for maximum effect like a Wes Anderson film (whose tone is similar but this is much more heartfelt). I would compare it most to "Napoleon Dynamite" in its quirkiness but, once again, with much more heart. Can't believe this isn't a higher-rated better known film appropriate for all. Bravo!
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing feel-good movie!
angie-sarah27 April 2020
An absolutely beautiful movie! Heart warming, beautiful cinematography, soundtracks, actors. All round 10 out of 10!
Magnolious
patrick-wools18 November 2018
Excellent cinematography best experienced on a large screen. With many subtle and not so subtle moments, this is an enjoyable movie. The Theory of Relativity is used to comical effect if you listen for it. Put a smile on your face - watch this movie.
13 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful film!
bsnidow25 August 2019
Lovely, entertaining story with the perfect mix of real life and myth. Nicely shot. Excellent pace.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Touching
ozgur617216 August 2020
It is really touching. One of the best to watch with your kids.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful ride on purest emotions..
borz8320 April 2020
I usually don't review movies, I rather find one closest to my point of view and give thumbs up. But here I needed to share my thought.. What amazes me in the first place is that this movie is so unkonown that it hurts.. Beautiful performance by literally every single soul that apears here, great music that hits you where it should when it should, great comedy to put a smile on your face to stop the tears (happy tears!) in the right moment.. Not a lot of a dialog but it's not needed, picture says a 1000 words they say.. And what is said i said beautifully..

Ok, that is it, no spoilers.. Just go and watch it..
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.