Barbie: Mermaid Power (TV Movie 2022) Poster

(2022 TV Movie)

My Favorite Barbie Movie
blytheandferb-109671 September 2022
What is there to say about this movie? It's amazing. It gets intense, yet stays inspirational. It has well rounded characters, whether protagonist or antagonist, and you find all of them fun to watch. The conflicts for the Barbies and characters like Marlo, Talleigha, and Aquaryah are all well done. It looks amazing, what with all the bright colors and well defined designs. The songs are really catchy. It also has strong messages about support and finding your inner power. This can be attributed to combining the best aspects of what makes modern Barbie projects work, whether there's a sense of stakes and the desire to do the right thing no matter what. I call this one a winner.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Too many songs so little plot
halima14775 September 2022
30 minutes into the movie and there have been about 6 songs. Now barbie movies do have their song breakout and such but there is such as thing as too much. I feel this because you have a few minutes in between to scroll through the actual plot line of the movie, but when its does you are interrupted by a song.

Another problem with song after song after song before you had time to digest it another one comes up , and sure the message behind the songs are good, the music is okay but it lacks the memorable impact.

I am writing this. At the 30mins mark, so i don't know the ending , but I hope its not as cliche as I think it will be. I also wishes that the villian for the first mermaid movie ended there.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Epic Doesn't Begin To Describe How Great It Is
blytheandferb-911723 September 2022
Barbie: Mermaid Power is a movie that just does everything a good movie should do. For starters, the music is top notch. The Math Club continues making top notch music and songs, just like in projects such as Barbie: Dolphin Magic, Barbie: Dreamhouse Adventures, and Barbie: Princess Adventure. Matthew Tishler & Andrew Underberg help contribute greatly to the songs, giving it a modern flare. The characters are all top notch. Malibu Barbie is shown to be pretty mature and down to earth, knowing that doing the right thing is the bigger priority, and she only feels down on herself when she thinks she can't contribute. Her embracing of imagination without it clouding her judgment is a plus in my book. Brooklyn Barbie is also a good fit to the group dynamic, being more of the realist, but still trying to give things a chance. Seeing her loosen her standards on what's real is well done. She learns things quicker, yet still focuses more on doing the right thing. Barbie's sisters do well playing supporting roles, notably Skipper being able to connect to Finn and Chelsea connecting to Aquaryah. The returning characters, Isla and Marlo, also play their roles well, with Isla being supportive of what humans can do without sacrificing her mermaid side, and Marlo being surprisingly sympathetic despite how cruel she acts. The new characters in the movie are also great, whether it's Aquaryah being plucky and open minded towards humans, but still a bit stubborn, or her brother Finn being overprotective and stubborn but still caring. Talleigha makes for quite the intimidating antagonist, being deeply rooted in her species's racism against humans. Her smug behavior makes her entertaining. The messages are also great, which is about being able to show support for others and trying to find your inner power. I call this amazing.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.