"Game of Thrones" Walk of Punishment (TV Episode 2013) Poster

(TV Series)

(2013)

Building momentum
vickychijwani14 April 2013
Game of Thrones is all about momentum, and that's what this episode stays true to: it builds up momentum. Without giving anything away, let me just say that viewers who found this season's previous episodes sluggish will be really pleased.

There's a lot going on in this episode. All the varied elements that we've come to expect from Game of Thrones at its best are here: emotion, action, humour, cliffhanger.

Highlights - Ciarán Hinds makes his first move; I couldn't wait to see him get into the action. Meanwhile it's heartening to see another actor from the cast of HBO's Rome introduced: Tobias Menzies as Catelyn's brother, Edmure Tully.

There are also some powerful emotional scenes, spectacularly acted and directed.

I especially loved Tyrion and Pod's antics in this episode. In a TV show all about war and death, the lightheartedness is a welcome relief.

Altogether a great episode. Can't wait for the next one!
36 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tyrion Remains the Star...
sophie-wise14 May 2013
This week's episode of Game of Thrones felt a much better improvement on last week's affair. We continue with each character trope, both of great and small significance, but with better pacing and intermittent moments of pure brilliance, crafted by the collective genius of David Benioff and D. B. Weiss.

Things aren't going particularly well for the Stark family to say the least. Not only is Robb mourning the loss of his grandfather, he still does not know the whereabouts of his brothers Bran and Rickon and is now having to deal with his uncle's (Edmure) bad decisions. Edmure sacrificed men in the kidnapping of two Lannister cousins, both of whom do not hold much worth in the act of competition against the Lannister family. Robb expresses his dissatisfaction, declaring they cannot afford to sacrifice men, especially against Tywin Lannister.

Speaking of whom, in King's Landing Tywin holds a meeting with the small council. Cersei sits loyally by her father, not saying a word, nor having to as her facial expressions speak far louder. As a clear act of defiance, Tyrion moves his chair to the other side of the table. The lack of dialogue make it a wonderfully comical and poignant moment, continuing to prove that at the very least, Tyrion is the rightful king of wit and wonderful performativity. He is also, as a result from the meeting, the new Master of Coin.

Elsewhere in King's Landing, other than seeking advice from an ever creepy and suspicious Littlefinger, Tyrion treats his squire to a visit from not one, not two, but several prostitutes as a thank you for saving his life. Contrasting the previous weeks in which sex and nudity has been relatively tame for the show, this week showcased naked women, one of whom had no shyness in demonstrating her flexibility. Problematic objectification of women? One could most definitely argue yes. But on the other hand, however, we have a character like Daenerys – a strong willed female, purchasing 8000 slaves and causing two rugged men to compete for her approval. In response to the phrase, "Valar Morghulis" (meaning all men must die), she replies "yes, but we are not men". This paradoxical portrayal of women is atypical of Game of Thrones but is a debate only served justice in an article of its own right. It just felt that the objectified vs. almost-feminist paradox was particularly prescient this week.

Mance Rayder and his men, including Jon Snow, come across the patterned remnants of an attack from the White Walkers. The only corpses apparent, however, are those of horses, causing them to question where the Nights Watch are and if they're even alive. Mance decides to send a crew of 20 men to the wall, including Jon Snow. He wants to create the biggest conflagration the North has ever seen. Remaining members of the Nights Watch continue their long march back to the wall. They take shelter at Craster's Keep – the oppressive home of misogyny and sacrificing baby boys.

Theon Grayjoy is released from torture and captivity as promised, and sent away on a horse. He is eventually found, however, and is chased down by his captors in a brilliantly choreographed, intense sequence. Theon is once again saved by the man who released him, as he skilfully (and quite brutally) shoots down each person.

Arya and Gendry continue travelling with the Brotherhood without Banners, but Hot Pie decides to stay and serve as a baker. Queue a brief but heartfelt goodbye and a nice moment of childhood innocence, most welcome amidst the adult ethical and moral issues.

Jaime and Brienne remain captured by the men of House Tully. At night time, as Jaime had warned, the men take Brienne away to rape her. At first she is beaten, with Brienne fighting back every step of the way. Taking place off camera, Brienne's screams cause a glimmer of humanity in Jamie as he looks rueful. In typical Lannister fashion, he uses his charm and promises a plentiful of wealth if both himself and Brienne are returned unharmed and undefiled. Brienne is saved and we are led to believe that so too is Jaime. However, the leader of House Tully is disgusted by his charm and use of family wealth and proceeds to chop of Jaime's hand. Queue end credits and the most random choice of musical accompaniment, so abruptly exporting us away from Westeros back in to the real world I thought my Itunes had sporadically booted up.

As Game of Thrones so typically does, this week was once again a fragmented mix of each character trope – some more entertaining than others. Overall, however, the pacing felt far better and as a result, made the episode much more captivating. The little things also made all the difference, such as a moment of childlike innocence, a well orchestrated chase sequence or a cleverly crafted pattern of horse corpses. Although this week's particular highlight was once again in King's Landing, via Tyrion's comical act of loudly dragging the chair across a silent meeting room – a standout moment... that, and a blunt ending.
14 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Debts and Payments
claudio_carvalho27 April 2014
Daenerys, Jorah and Barristan walk along the Walk of Punishment where slaves are punished and left to die tied to a cross. Against the will of Jorah and Barristan, Daenerys buys 8,000 Unsullied soldiers and the slave translator Missandel giving her biggest dragon in return. Mance sends a small group to scale The Wall and attack Castle Black. Tywin summons the small council and names Tyrion as the new Master of Coin. Soon Tyrion finds that The Iron Throne has a great debt to the Iron Bank of Braavos. Theon is recaptured by his captors but a stranger saves him. Jaime and Brienne are prisoners of Locke and Jaime tries to convince him to let him go. Locke cuts his right hand off.

"Walk of Punishment" shows Daenerys giving one of her beloved dragons for a slave-army. The cunning Tyrion has disclosed a dangerous financial situation to the Iron Throne. Jaime surprisingly save Brianne and now with a severed hand he will probably become more dangerous than never. My vote is eight.

Title (Brazil): "Walk of Punishment"
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Jamie's Reaction = PRICELESS.
kelsey370014 April 2013
Knew Jamie's hand getting cut off was coming... but WOW. His reaction was amazing. I had to rewind and watch again. He did a GREAT job when that happened. You could see a lot of emotion. Pain, shock, and fear in his eyes. He's nothing now!! That was his sword hand! And in the book I kind of felt like aw, she's protecting Jamie, that's nice because he is fearful because he can not fight back well at all since he lost his hand earlier in the book. I think it was a great episode! But then again, we didn't see anything on Bran, Rickon, Osha, Hodor, Jojen, Meera, Sansa, Shae, Joffrey, Margaery, Loras or Oleanna at all in this episode, I thought it was odd. But very intense. Lol; I loved Tyrion and Tywin.....haha, the chair. Always seems to be intense when they talk, but for some reason I just was laughing. Good episode! Very good episode! 8/10
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
GOT Binge...
jcbsn25 June 2016
Tyrion gets hosed by his arrogant father. Brienne and Jaime are screwed, Arya is making trail again, and Hot Pie will probably never know a woman.

Jon Snow getting thrown right into the winter people fire! And also he is about to attack the Nightwatch on his first order from the King of the Wildlings, formerly of the Rangers.

Tyrion is still managing to run everything from even farther behind the scenes. Theon gets away before getting captured again. I have a hard time feeling sorry for him. Although this dude who saved him seems pretty awesome.

Jaime finally does something decent, but is still a d bag, who totally gets what is coming to him.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Splitting the Dragons
Hitchcoc22 May 2015
Lots of plot elements. One king is dead. Dany is still trying to raise an army and must deal with a slave trader who is despicable. She is willing to part with one of her dragons to get what she wants. The thing is she is the mother of dragons. Can she even strike such a bargain (if you get my drift). We will see. Lots of stuff in the woods as Arya goes on and the Pie Guy stays behind to be a baker. Theon is nearly killed but seems to have a guardian angel. This series is filled with near misses and last minute rescues. Jaime, his confidence overflowing, plays too much of his hand (so to speak) and pays dearly for it. His sliminess knows no bounds, but he should realize that he is playing fast and loose with a pack of barbarians. This is a fast moving, well constructed episode. Tyrion is there for comic relief this time. He is made "Master of the Coin," which appears to be the treasurer. He says he doesn't know finance because he just spent money; he never kept track of it.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Shocking Ending
Rainey-Dawn16 September 2018
Season 3, episode 3. Robb and Catelyn arrive for the funeral of Lord Hoster Tully (Catelyn's father, Robb's grandfather). Arya and Gendry say goodbye to Hot Pie, the Hound is still held captive. Tywin makes Tyrion the Master of Coins. The Night's Watch is back at Craster's. Brienne and Jamie are taken hostage with a surprise ending to the episode.

Walking to punishment
TheLittleSongbird8 January 2018
Came to 'Game of Thrones' fairly late in the game and due to being so busy the binge-watching was gradual. Have found myself truly loving the show, very quickly becoming one of my favourites. It totally lives up to the hype and not only does it do the brilliant source material justice (a rarity in television) it is on its own merits one of the finest, most addictive and consistently compelling shows in recent years and quality-wise it puts a lot of films in recent years to shame.

Loved the previous two episodes, loved "Walk of Punishment" even more. There may be bigger and more epic episodes, but it is nonetheless as thrilling as the episodes that are those things and there is some boldness in "Walk of Punishment". Especially in the truly shocking final moments. Even when you know it's coming when it's spoiled for you before watching the episode, it is one of the most harrowing endings of the earlier seasons.

My only real issue with "Walk of Punishment" is that the Arya and Hot Pie didn't interest me as much as everything else in the episode, some of it felt somewhat clumsy and didn't add very much.

However, all the acting is great with the top honours going to the ever brilliant Peter Dinklage (who has yet to put a foot wrong) and a searingly intense Nikolaj Coster-Waldau. For a first-time directing job, this is a seriously impressive effort, what is so good about 'Game of Thrones' is a long way from diminished here.

Visually, "Walk of Punishment" looks amazing. The scenery is throughout spectacular, the sets are hugely atmospheric and beautiful on the eyes with a real meticulous eye for detail and the costumes suit the characters to a tee. The make-up is beautifully done. The visual effects are some of the best of any television programme and are not overused or abused, the scale, the detail and how they actually have character and soul are better than those in a lot of the big-budget blockbusters. As well the cinematography and editing, which are cinematic quality as well.

One cannot talk about "Walk of Punishment" without mentioning the thematically, orchestrally and atmospherically multi-layered music scoring and the unforgettable main theme. Again, worthy of a high-budget fantasy/action/drama film.

It is hard not to be bowled over by the quality of the writing, outstanding isn't a strong enough adjective to describe how good the writing is once again. It always has a natural flow, is layered and thought-provoking and demonstrates a wide range of emotions such as suspenseful tension, poignant pathos and witty humour. The story is paced beautifully, structured with such nuance and attention to coherence, a high emotional level and is done with intelligence, passion and sensitivity.

All in all, great episode if not quite a masterpiece. 9/10 Bethany Cox
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tyrion Lannister: I'm quite good at spending money, but a lifetime of outrageous wealth hasn't taught me much about managing it.
bombersflyup7 January 2018
Walk of Punishment is a very scattered episode, minor snippets of many characters. Quality nevertheless.

Robb arrives at Riverrun for his grandfather's funeral. The tradition of burning the body with a flaming arrow once set adrift, is impressive and amusing in the opening scene. Tywin names Tyrion the new Master of Coin, after a period of silence and musical chairs. In an attempt to keep Brienne from being beaten and raped Jaime overplays his hand, literally. This segment is the highlight of the episode, the pairing with Brienne brings out the best in Jaime, as he starts to become one of the better characters on Game of Thrones, albeit without his sword hand. Noah Taylor is also very convincing as Locke.

Locke: You think you're the smartest man there is. That everyone alive has to bow and scrape and lick your boots. Jaime: My father... Locke: ...and if you get in any trouble, all you got to do is say "my father" and that's it, all your troubles are gone. Jaime: Don't. Locke: Have you gotten something to say? Locke: Careful. You don't want to say the wrong thing. You're nothing without your daddy. Your daddy ain't here. Never forget that. Locke: Here, this should help you remember!

Jaime, Tyrion, Locke and Brienne were the standouts this episode.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great episode with few blemishes
atn_iitd14 April 2013
It was a great episode, yet I find that whenever they try to diverge too much the story-line in novels it only ends up in weaker presentation.

Liked: 1. The way they are handling The Bastard boy and Theon thing, yet can't understand how they'll explain the killing of Bolton men.

2. Jaime- Brienne events and the way they shortened it without loosing too much on the essence.

3. Dany is Astapor is strictly aligned to books and can't wait for the next thing to happen (which every book-reader knows).

4. Riverrun events are also quite close to book and better handled.

Disliked: 1. A big no for Tyrion-Podrick brothel scenes, don't know what they were trying to do with this... must have been avoided.

2. Emotional scene between Arya and Hotpie, I with huge plot line to cover they shouldn't add these unnecessary scenes.

3. Where is that red woman going (to iron islands I guess !!)....
4 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's not even the same show anymore
dropkickdeathwish23 April 2013
Walk of Punishment is GoTs writer David Benioff's directorial debut, and it is obvious.

First off, why would you decide to let someone direct for the first time on an episode of one of the most brilliant and popular shows of present time? While I was watching it I couldn't help but to think that HBO has lost the essence of the characters which I would have thought impossible considering George R.R. Martin is supervising the entire thing. The first scene that comes to mind is when Daenerys is speaking to the slaver about the terms of the trade. In the story she is supposed to be fooling the slaver by offering him her dragons, but in the show, Jorah is fooled by her too and quite startled. So we, as the viewer, are either supposed to think that Jorah is very dense, or we are supposed to believe Dany suddenly doesn't care about her dragons any more than gold. The scene made no sense, the way Jorah reacted would clearly indicate that something's up and alert the slaver.

The scene where Hot Pie says his goodbyes to everyone is another scene showing bad directing, the way it was drawn out was so clumsy and awkward, and when Arya and Gendry are riding off, Arya turns and yells "Hot Pie!" Young Arya, the clever and spunky girl had one more important thing to tell Hot Pie: the bread is really good! Wait... who said that? That couldn't have been Arya. I mean with the kinda stuff that this little girl has seen, you might expect her to say, "stay safe!" or "keep your head on!" The scene should have probably just been canned. This really is trivial to the story but it just seemed so out of line with her personality! What show is this!? Not just Arya that seems to be unfamiliar but also Jaime. The character holds onto his "Lannistery" sense of entitlement nicely, but the circumstances surrounding him are bad enough that he should definitely seem far more bitter than he acts.

Tyrion's banter with other characters isn't quite on point either, the scene with him and Littlefinger was underwhelming to say the least. But there are more naked girls than before in this episode; this time around GoT seems to be more concerned about pleasing those who watch this show for it's lusty appeal.

It's not all bad though, the character Robb Stark delivers a great tongue lashing to the ignorant knight that fails to obey his orders. Catelyn Stark is done wonderfully as well. The scenes north of the wall thankfully have not fallen in quality either.

I'm not saying Mr. Benioff is doing anything to hurt the story, which is progressing nicely, is just seems like the delivery is seriously lacking. The show needs to be tweaked hear and there to fit the important things into an hour, but changing the character's personalities is not something that should ever happen.
6 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
9/10 for the first 99% of the episode...
ekimarcher15 April 2013
HBO has, up until now, masterfully captured the essence of A Song of Ice and Fire on screen. This episode was no exception right up until the end. Content aside, the editing of the final seconds of footage is completely infuriating. It breaks immersion and totally ruins the episode. I recommend watching the final seconds of the show on mute as it will be a much more enjoyable experience. The audio sounds like it was edited by a 10 year old who wanted to put his favourite song in the show so everyone would know how cool it was. The song was actually a good choice and the connection to the start of the episode was a nice touch. Cutting off the final pieces of dialogue however was an amateur mistake that was a fire-able offence.

I have decided to stick to the books from now on!
5 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The price of an army
Tweekums1 January 2016
The title of this episode is an obvious reference to the 'Walk of Punishment' in the slaver city where Daenerys sees a row of men being crucified. After this walk we see her making a deal to buy all of the Unsullied… an army of eight thousand. They won't be cheap though; the price demanded is the largest of her three dragons! The title could also be taken as a somewhat less obvious reference to what is happening to Jaime and Brienne who have been captured by an unknown group whose intentions do not appear to be good and lead to the episode's shocking conclusion. Elsewhere we see Robb Stark and his mother attending her father's funeral where we learn that Roob's plans to lure the Lannister forces into an area of his choosing have been ruined by his uncle Edmure Tully's decision to launch an attack for an immediate victory. Back in the capital Tyrion has been made 'Master of Coin' and discovers that the state is heavily in debt to the sort of people who will quickly change sides if they don't think they will be repaid. We also see Theon being helped to escape from his torturers by an unknown man.

This was another gripping episode with the usual intertwined narrative. It nicely mixes moments of comedy with some fairly shocking scenes. The comedy largely comes from Edmure Tully; as we are introduced to him he is attempting to shoot a flaming arrow into the boat containing his late father and misses three times. Tobias Menzies does a fine job playing this somewhat incompetent new character. There is further amusement after Tyrion rewards his squire by treating him to a trio of beautiful young ladies at the brothel and they refuse payment because he gave them such a good time! These amusing moments serve to make the disturbing moments all the more shocking; these include a scene where Theon is almost raped and the finale where Jaime learns that his smooth talking has not impressed his captors has much as he thought. While not as dramatic it will be interesting to see how Daenerys's deal will turn out. Overall another really good episode thanks to its mix of drama, unforced comedy and plot advancement.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I don't know what to think of these episode...
seb-chovi-man14 April 2013
This was a good episode...or at least I can't shake off that feeling....it's strange....it's strange because this is perhaps the episode with most changes from the book that I can think of....

I liked the scenes that where not in the books, such as when "Boy" releases and rescues Theon....but I can't put my head around the scene between Stannis and Melissandre....where could she possibly be going?

Perhaps the scene I hated the most was the one between Tyrion, Pod and Bronn....I simply can't find a reason of WHY they made this scene...WHY DID THEY MADE THIS SCENE?! It was just...STUPID!!! Last season I hated the liberties D.B. and Benioff took with Tyrion....and in tonight's episode, they took the liberties to a whole new level....

I know that this is a TV Series, but it's based on marvelous book series, and who is perhaps the best character in the books? TYRION! D.B. and Benioff should know that, and they should also know that perhaps more than half of the viewers have already read the books....THEY MUST STOP THIS LIBERTIES THEY TAKE WITH TYRION!!!

On the other hand, the episode was fantastic, perhaps because of the scenes of Dany, Robb/Catelyn, and Jaime/Brianne, although the ending was a little weak....an event as big as Jaime loosing his hand should have had more drama to it....

Still, I can't shake this feeling that although this was a not-so-good episode, I really enjoyed it.
4 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another great, albeit not excellent, episode for Season 3
Walk of Punishment and the first two episodes are great, albeit not excellent and so far, it's been off to a solid start. The story/script continues to be very well-written, the directing and editing is still excellent, the performances are still great, the scenery/music score's still gorgeous, and the relationships continue to be compelling.

My only quibble is that the story-arcs for the new characters weren't used a bit and it would've been better to see them have a relationship with the Stark family and the Lannister family as well. But it doesn't matter. Everything else turned out fine. So, overall, another great episode for Season 3.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.