I Still See You (2018) Poster

A for effort, C+ for execution
ddbeuth14 October 2018
I really liked underlying premise of this movie, specifically that the millions of people killed by a cataclysmic event became ghosts, or remnants. In addition to this novel concept, the acting was good, and the characters' motivations and actions were logical and intelligent. In fact, I can't think of a single instance where extremely poor decision-making was used to advance the plot, setting this apart from most horror/thriller movies.

On the minus side, there were a number of plot holes and cheesy bits. Although they weren't bad enough to ruin the movie, there were enough of them that I can only give it a 7/10.

Overall, it was an enjoyable movie, and I would recommend it.
24 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyable
hilary_mae-912-8056113 October 2018
It is a film about intelligent people in a ghost story and that seems to freak some viewers out. Oooh all those big words. Despite being a fantasy tale, it was realistic about how life does go on despite a catastrophic event. I liked the academia aspect of it; that it showed teenagers who have intelligence. Setting the film in the middle of winter helps maintain the dark look of the film. Overall, it was a decent flick. I did guess who the evil-doer was, but that didn't lessen my enjoyment of the film. Not every film has to be perfect to be enjoyable. Not every ghost story needs horror. I'd watch it again.
31 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the worst films ever
merimasisic-5159125 October 2018
One of the worst performances ever, I mean come on, one facial expression for the whole movie and one and the same intonation. You have actors who gain/lose weight for a film, and then you have Bella who is not even able to dye her hair (a wig? seriously?). The screenplay is apparently written by a 9-year old as the plot makes no sense. She drives a bike every day but she has the physical fitness of a 90-year old chain smoker. Every possible cliche ever is present in the movie with hideous music that makes the overall feeling even worse. Flat characters, messed up plot, zero performance. My local children's theater group would do this better. The only post-apocalyptic event in the film is the film itself.
35 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Idea for a movie...but then they dropped the ball.
chaotykxninja12 October 2018
Whoever came up with the idea for this movie. was a genius. but the damn fool cudnt execute it well and now its wasted...simple as that. i would recommend you watch it anyway, because it wasnt that bad... but it could have a legendary classic if it had been done right.
23 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I Still See You: A beautiful surprise
Platypuschow3 December 2018
Within moments I was oddly gripped, I loved the concept and the whole thing looked sleek, original and fascinating.

Starring the stunning Bella Thorne and underappreciated Dermot Mulroney this is one that is very hard to pigeon hole as it doesn't really fall under one category.

It tells the story of a science experiment gone wrong and a world where ghosts walk among the living frequently, though they are unable to interact nor aware that they're deceased.

The ideas within the movie are remarkably clever but I quickly began to think that they'd be better suited to a television series rather than a movie. By the end, I had that belief confirmed. Don't get me wrong I Still See You is a very enjoyable movie but I think it was perhaps released in the wrong format.

Genuinely clever, interesting and captivating I can't argue that it isn't without its flaws as truth be told it has many BUT the quality of the film outweighs them.

I'd recommend the film to anyone and everyone, sure it has that teen-sci fi vibe about it but thankfully manages to be considerably better than that.

I'd love to see this become a television series, I'd rush to watch that every week. But if this is all we get, then it's enough.

The Good:

Looks great

Bella Thorne and Dermot Mulroney

Some great ideas

The Bad:

Some of the ideas don't feel fully formed

Leaves a lot of unanswered questions

Things I Learnt From This Movie:

There is still life in the ghost sub genre

We need more original movies like this and less reboots
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lost potential from the over-convoluted plot-issues-filled writing
TheTopDawg19 October 2018
It's a shame this film lost major potential to be great from the over-convoluted plot-issues-filled writing.

Was this a sci-fi? Was it a horror? Was it a mystery? Was it a romance film? It tried to be all of the above, but failed miserably by taking the novel by Daniel Waters, and hacking it into disabled screenplay by actor turned writer Jason Fuchs.

The 98 min length was too long and should have been edited down by cutting the unnecessary plot issues and fill in some missing gaps, and had the pace sped up a little.

The directing by Scott Speer however was excellent, the cinematography great and the acting fairly decent. Location/sets were amazing and the visuals on point.

Sadly, it's only a generous 7/10 from me.
12 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I tried to enjoy it..
BatmanFunReviews12 October 2018
Ten years after an apocalyptic event left the world haunted by ghosts, Roni receives a threatening message from beyond the grave. Joining forces with a mysterious classmate, Kirk, Roni descends into a shadow world that blurs the bounds of the living and the dead-and begins a desperate race against time to stop a cunning killer. Bella Thorne and Dermot Mulroney get wasted in this poorly written thriller where the first wears a fake long hair wig and the 2nd has an enormous short amount of screen time and in the end wastes them both too.
24 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I like it!
Bruxadomar12 October 2018
Different concept, a little cheese but I was entertained but as everything in life you have to try it for yourself.
16 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great leap, terrible entry
namstonk12 October 2018
It was going so well until an hour in, then you hear one line and understand the writer couldn't think of anything better. It then just follows the normal attributes to this type of film. However the acting is good and it is constantly moving so give it a go, in fact I've just added an extra mark as I was being to critical.
9 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It starts pretty big then it narrows to a race against time.
gidgetthewise13 October 2018
The story starts with an explosion that takes out the inhabitants of a town leaving their remnants. Bella Thorne's character notices there are a lot more than were actually killed by the catastrophe. Then one shows up in her bathroom as she's showering and starts causing a total disruption in her life resulting in a fight for her life.I really enjoyed this movie.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
intriguing premise
SnoopyStyle12 November 2018
It's ten years after the Event, an accident at a high energy experiment in Chicago. Many were killed and it has brought back the dead from the past in the form of spiritual remnants. These rems recreate moments in their lives. Veronica Calder (Bella Thorne) lost her father in the Event and he spends every morning reading the paper during breakfast in their small town of Jewel City. August Bittner (Dermot Mulroney) is a trusted teacher and Kirk Lane (Richard Harmon) is the mysterious new student. Veronica's life spirals when a new rem shows up in her bathroom.

The premise is intriguing and the first half goes well enough. Bella Thorne is built for these dark teen characters and so is Richard Harmon. It could been a good ghost horror story but several things happen that strips it of the earlier promise. The minor issue is Mr. Bittner. He's not a science teacher and his knowledge of the Event is head-scratching in the moment. It makes more sense that she would ask the nerd with the crush to set up the panic room. It's obviously done for the plot but it doesn't make character sense. The bigger issue are the rems and their actual powers. The ending suddenly introduces new capabilities for them. It needs some foreshadowing but better yet, the movie could have ended without changing them. Bittner could have been distracted by his daughter without physically touching her. The rems are more compelling if they can't affect the physical world.
7 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good Watch
lilyloo-7980714 October 2018
I really enjoyed this, great atmosphere about it and storyline. I felt the ending was a little rushed but other than that the acting was good and it's an easy watch.
11 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very good
mjsreg15 October 2018
This is an interesting and engaging film that has enough twists and turns to keep you guessing to the end.

The acting is brilliant, and the characters believable as you are dragged into their world and how they came to be who they are.

Although pure fantasy, this is one of those films where this could happen at some time in the future

Well worth a watch.
6 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Decent movie.
Glodar32213 December 2018
Little bit slow on start but then it gets interesting and if it's not for mid-end/end writing and plot that gets little bit predictable I could give it even 9/10 but since somewhere from late mid it is very predictable, 7/10 seems fair. Still as far as I know unique idea and good scenes and effects, decent story for most part so I would recommend it to watch if you have nothing better to watch, you will not be disappointed but also it will not be movie to remember.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Actually very good
ettiennervdm15 October 2018
I think it was well written and the acting was not bad at all. Well though out storyline. Really enjoyed this movie.
9 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really
sairecabor16 October 2018
Come on, I must have fallen asleep or something (through boredom) one minute there are ghosts everywhere then people everywhere!!
10 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It was impossible
Edvis-199717 October 2018
I've tried to make myself to watch this movie till the end but it was mission impossible. I lasted only first 40 minutes it was boring like hell.
8 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great movie reminiscent of the golden age of teen thrillers from the late 90s
agexien12 October 2018
Great atmosphere, original plot, stunning cinematography, excellent soundtrack and beautiful cast. What else do you need from a good (teen) thriller? You might find plenty of flaws if you're gonna look for them, but if you want to just relax and immerse yourself in spellbinding and mysterious atmosphere, this movie is the right choice.
9 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
4.0 out of 5 starsSupernatural YA thriller with strong emotional core. Well-acted. Gorgeous musical score.
ellynbeiler13 October 2018
Variety's review said that this YA supernatural thriller "has a certain snow-globe dark fairy tale allure that could resonate among younger viewers." The strong cast and poignant sense of loss in this story give it a more powerful emotional core than most films in this genre. The slick production values were matched by the beautiful and mysterious score -- a recent post said the Emmy-winning composer (Bear McCreary) "doubled down on the choral bliss." The LA Times summarized it as an "intriguing, well-acted spook-show, low on fright but driven by some twisty adventure.
6 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great storyline.
bangel332225 November 2018
I liked this. I thought the idea was very original and unique. Unlike anything I've seen before. The storyline was intriguing at first. Unfortunately it fell into that predictability phase as films of this genre can often do. Saw where it was going. It moves quite fast for me as well. I would probably have liked to have seen this as a six part mini series. I wanted more information about The Event and maybe more of a build up. Could've introduced more characters and added more mystery. However, still a decent film.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Interesting
foutainoflife23 October 2018
This was a nice little ghost mystery. No horror here. At least, not in my opinion. I thought that this was a well thought out movie that was intriguing. It seemed to move at a somewhat steady pace but begins to rush a bit the closer it gets towards the end. The concept behind the movie was interesting but it still stays on the familiar course of most ghost films. While it started out with the hope of something new, I was left wishing there had been something a little more fresh than what was presented.

Overall this isn't bad. The acting is decent and the story will keep you interested. If you are looking for something scary, this probably isn't going to fill your order but it is a nice ghost story nonetheless.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The laws are lies
nogodnomasters6 January 2019
The film takes place ten years after the incident in Chicago. An explosion has vaporized people who are now seen as spectral or ghosts that play in a loop. They are called remnants or "rems" for short. REMS is also a unit of radiation.

The script centers on Roni (Belle Thorne) now in High School. She believes a ghost named Brian has contacted her and may want to do her harm. She befriends Kirk (Richard Harmon) who has an intense interest in the ghosts and does not believe what they are told about them. Their murder mystery investigation takes them into the forbidden "No-go Zone" of Chicago.

It was an interesting film up until the end when they introduced the twist and tried to be clever. I like the fact it was different combining ghosts with science fiction.

Guide: No swearing. Blurred nudity. No sex.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sci-fi with a slight ethereal twist
shopshell5 January 2019
I'm not a huge horror fan and for that reason alone I almost didn't rent this movie.

However, I'm a huge sci-fi fan and those two genres tend to meet often (the unknown meets cutting edge technology- see what I mean) so just suck it up sometimes. I'm glad I did.

This is not as scary as Event Horizon, which is at the forefront of the sci-fi horror front. It definitely has a moment or two that had me wondering how well I was going to sleep that night.

It has three major story lines - all wrap up well in the end so overall, I found it satisfying.

On the sci-fi front - they did a bit to explain the phenomena in the movie - more than most sci-fi movies. This usually makes me cringe because it's hokey - writers don't full have an understanding of physics to pull it off. In this movie - was a little goofy but not too bad.

Overall, I liked the story lines, enjoyed the special effects, the three main characters were pretty good actors and it had me guessing till the very end. I highly recommend.
Pretty good
mailall4 January 2019
I think its a good movie story is great but a little unripe it has some twist good for a rainy night watch
Excellent suspense movie!
bytor-2006229 December 2018
My girlfriend and I decided it would be a great "movie night", so at first we started to watch "The Nun". Both of us kept falling asleep, (The Nun seemed boring), so we decided to watch "I still see you", on a whim. Well, both of us did not fall asleep once and both of us really enjoyed the story and the paranormal factor involved in it. IMO, the plot twist near the end could have been written a little better, but overall we really enjoyed this movie. The girl who played the star role was excellent the others were good as well....and I thought she was really pretty too, lol. We both recommend not only watching it, but also buying it as well to add to your "suspense" collection.