Long Shot (2019) Poster

(2019)

Long flow of poor storyline and low level jokes
pkpera13 August 2019
Well, from the very beginning it was clear what to expect from this 'comedy'. Overforced and way too unrealistic (for comedy too) infiltration attempt to some WASP/Nazi group, just to show how good man main male hero is.

Then we had still very gorgeous female main hero - well gorgeous until starts talking - then we can hear lot of unnecessary 'F' words, what is especially bad considering her position. So, she decided to run for President of USA . I don't have problem with female leaders, I raised in country where we had female Prime Minister in 80-es (not UK) .

I really feel sorry for afro-american actress, Oscar winner Charlize Theron. Her last movies are really not on level of former ones, in most cases. But real question is who to blame for it ? Maybe it is just that there is no much choice now in mainstream production. Had no clue about Set Rogen, and I guess why - but will not talk here about all stupid dope humor he made. The end was pretty much predictable, and for those with brain disappointing. Somehow Idiocracy came to my mind. This could have much better title: sometghing like: Idiocracy begins Not because female president - we have examples of successful ones. Because low level of their speaking, whole story, simple ideals, while there was nothing about how to make that wanted better World.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Too good!
Amyth474 August 2019
My Rating : 7/10

Smart, goofy and super entertaining.

Seth and Charlize have a great chemistry and everyone else is on-point too. I strongly recommend that you push play on this laugh-out-loud yet intelligent rom-com.

Good natured fun and an overall beautiful movie!
15 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best Seth Rogen Movie Yet
elizabethcaroline6 August 2019
I actually downloaded this movie, but avoided it for a long time, thinking it would be awful. It is the best movie I've seen in a very long time. An environmentalist and presidential hopeful employs a neighbor from her childhood as her speechwriter. If you know Seth Rogen, you know his comedy. It is both raunchy and witty, and altogether surprising that I fell in love with it. This is a love story of the strangest, and most authentic caliber.
22 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a beautiful movie
sadiqm90016 July 2019
Wow I didn't have any expectations for it. It's really smart fun movie. I don't know how I missed it. I strongly recommend that you give it a chance!
82 out of 139 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Seth Rogen and Charlize Theron are funny and entertaining.
cruise014 August 2019
Long Shot (4 out of 5 stars).

Long Shot is actually a funny romantic comedy film that delivers with Charlize Theron and Seth Rogen's performance. Involving a little story in the political world with a Secretary of Defense wanting to run for President. And try to help and change the world.

The plot follows journalists Fred (Seth Rogen) and his childhood crush Charlotte (Charlize Theron) who used to babysit him when he was a teen. She is now a Secretary of Defense and trying to run for President. She hires Fred to help her with her speech and trying to help be an influencing leader. While they both start falling for each other. While her team is against them having a relationship which he might be a bad reputation for her running as President.

I am not really a big political person. The plot does involve Charlotte trying to help save the planet and thinking more green. She is trying to save the world for the better. Fred is a democrat and coming from a case of being undercover in a White Supremacist club. Which he jumps out of a window in a three story building cause they found his cover. Fred has been closed minded about the other people's perspective in the political parties.

Seth Rogen and Charlize Theron are great with their roles. It was fun seeing these two on screen. Theron playing Charlotte, and getting high on a drug which she gets an emergency call to help negotiate with another political leader in a different country was a lot of fun.

Director Jonathan Levine and his witty script was a lot of fun. It had humor, charm, and the cast was great.
15 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
As usual the critics have their heads up. It's a fun film.
ejriii9 August 2019
Don't miss this feel good movie. It's like the great Hollywood romantic comedies. Great fu.
16 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hilarious and Fun!!!
treakle_197830 July 2019
Rogen and Theron deliver the Laugh's!! The writing,directing and acting was on point. The chemistry between Seth and Charlize is amazing. One of the best romantic comedies ever!! Definitely worth watching!!
13 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sexy, good natured fun!
cherikurz29 May 2019
This movie was just what I needed today! Some fun, irreverent, escapism. Made me laugh throughout. Great chemistry between Seth and Charlize. Furthermore, the whole supporting cast we're enjoyable in their roles. It's not highbrow and not meant to be. I'm a hard sell on these kind of movies but the lead pairing really piqued my interest. I wasn't disappointed! Just enjoy!
94 out of 166 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you like Seth Rogan films, must watch..
aaronlshickell4 August 2019
If you enjoy & appreciate Seth Rogan's humor you will not be disappointed. Seth successfully pulled off this RomCom with his ingenious comedy writing with a twist of sincere romance and his character's personal beliefs built in. Theron's portrayal of the Secretary of State and along with her character's humility that she can fall for someone who makes her laugh, believes-in/supports her career ambitions and appreciates keeps you engaged throughout the movie.
14 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Know what your getting into
pchasejr7 August 2019
If your here for Charlize Theron based on her previous performances you will be disappointed. If your here because you are a Seth Rogan fan you will love this!!
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't let the killjoys ruin it
hackettf28 May 2019
I hate romcoms, I find them shallow and boring. I'm not a big Rogan fan either. However, moderately enjoyed this one.

It wasn't great, but the jokes worked and didn't work too hard to get a chuckle. There was a bit of preaching about ideologies, but it was necessary for some of the jokes and plot to play. The climax (literally) gag was a bit unexpected, but it, again, wasn't gratuitous once the point was made. Overall, I liked it.
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the Best romantic films ever.
fbforever796 August 2019
Just one word is enough to categorize it. It is one of the most amazing romances I have ever seen at the movies.It is absolutely a must-see if you enjoy romantic films.
15 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nits go away ... movie is simply great!
saintclarky1 August 2019
For anyone who watched this movie without expectation and did not enjoy it ... all i can say is you are a nit and need to realize life can be fun.

Movie makes you laugh in many different ways, simply a great time.

Give it a chance, you will not be disappointed.

So sick of people reviewing movies here to just here themselves complain.
12 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just as good as I thought!
ben_mccay5 August 2019
I caught the trailer for this and took a chance to see it. It was great! I laughed throughout and enjoyed the performance by each actor.
Loves this film
nezbitkn230 July 2019
Great film. We associate Rogan with drugs, silly comedy and crazy films. This doesn't disappoint. However, added into a political love story a lot of tongue in cheek humour makes this film brilliantly watchable. Seriously, you'll enjoy it. Think, 'Maid of Honour' meets 'Harry met Sally' meets 'End of the World'. That's the best I can come up with haha. Enjoy.
Loved it
vaisakhn-3737218 July 2019
Whenever I watch a movie all I do is what like just forwarding the movie, and not enjoys when I see it through my phone. This is the first time in this year i have been frozen, just sit tight enjoyed every bit of that movie. Actually the story is not that much great but the way they present I liked it the most. Especially I loved Seth forgen's character Fred, didn't miss Charlize Theron at all. It seems to be something very different. Love you guys
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
somehow it feels really romantic haha
ariqakbar18 July 2019
The movie for me was extremely fun, i like this kind of fun movie with a sprak of romance. the contrast from the Flarsky and Field was completed their relationship image that this movie wants to bring and they doing a really good job. and the movie was run in a really good speed of story.

good call back in some main role background and thanks to lance we can get a hilarious moment all the way to the end. That's a big role over there.
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Theron, Rogen's "Long Shot" Provides Comedic Short Cut to Some Surprising Political Commentary
mandygrrl42419 March 2019
My first R-rated movie starred Seth Rogen.

Growing up in a fairly conservative and religious focused family, my first R-rated film (in the theater, mind you-I was blessed to already have had my fair share of home release viewings in the basements of friend's houses or in secret, thanks to my Blockbuster employment connection) was the Rogen and Heigl raunch-fest-with-a-heart Knocked Up.

Knocked Up, if you recall, stars Rogen, an overweight, expired frat boy who has no interest in growing up, and Katherine Heigl, a model-esque, large-and-in-charge-with-no-time-for-a-social-life television producer, as the parents-to-be of a surprise pregnancy after an incredibly drunken one night stand. Critics raved about Rogen and Hiegel's performances, solidifying Rogen as bonafied movie star and launching Heigl's career.

Fast forward ten years and some change later, and once again I found myself in a theater, anticipating yet another Rogan vehicle where the plot seemed somewhat recycled: a beautiful blonde (this time played by the always excellent and committed Charlize Theron) and an average Joe (a slightly more mature, Rogen, complete with his trademarked genuineness) somehow get involved romantically, in a tale mixed with a generous helping of penis jokes, heavy drug use, and the exuberant use of the F-word sprinkled around like confetti.

I went in thinking it would be mediocre.

A few hours (and lots of laughter) later, I'm happy to report this one pleasantly surprised me.

Theron plays Charlotte Field, the current Secretary of State making the strategic moves necessary to announce her bid for the 2020 presidency. Rogen portrays vulgar-yet-honest alternative journalist Fred Flarsky. Field faces an up hill battle in the presidential race for literally being a woman (something audiences know a thing or two about since the 2016 election), and her team wants her to come off relatable and likeable. Fred, recently laid off due to a large media corporation buy out of his independent online newspaper, thanks to the devious workings of an old, privileged white male tycoon (the never-recognizable but never mistakable Andy Serkis), needs a job.

When a chance meeting at an elite party has the pair cross paths, it only takes a few a minutes for the two to connect and make the realization that they went to high school together. Fred had a crush on Charlotte, who had big, beautiful ideas about making the school a better place when she ran for student body president. Charlotte remembers him as the smart, sweet kid who lived next door.

Days later, after scrolling through his past articles, Charlotte goes against the cautioned judgment of her campaign team and hires Fred as her speech writer, and immediately the two, along with the rest of her team, embark on a round-the-world tour, touting Charlotte's "Save the Bees, Trees, and Seas" initiative, a flowery sounding vision that's to be the anchor of her campaign (and something adult Charlotte still believes in).

From there on, it's easy to see where this story is headed. Charlotte and Fred grow closer, as he interviews her to get a better handle on her voice for the speeches he crafts. They butt heads, they disagree. He calls her out for compromising on her beliefs when a country negotiates changes to the initiative, she tells him he is out of line and to remember that at the end of the day, she is his boss and that sometimes you have to play the game to win the game.

To anyone questioning if Theron and Rogen have chemistry, the answer is a solid yes. It looks like it shouldn't work, both due to their differing acting resumes and their physical attributes. But Theron and Rogen take their unique blend of class and crass, humor and heart, and it honest to God works.

Sparks fly, feelings happen, and before you know it, this film treads into familiar territory, a gender-reversed Pretty Woman that happens to involve politics (complete with the beloved pop standards one would expect from the aforementioned film and typical rom com fare).

But then the movie goes deeper than that, and while it appears to be a lighthearted popcorn flick with an edge, there's a lot of subtle (and not so subtle) messages bubbling below and on the surface. The unfair treatment of women by the media, the shallow game politics has become, the necessity of standing by one's beliefs while recognizing when we need to set differences aside to actually accomplish things, and an encouragement to men to support the women in their lives, even if she is more successful than them. Especially when she is more successful than her them.

It was these thoughts that had me pondered as I drove home, "could movies like this be the answer? Could unassuming, middle grade romantic comedies be the catalyst for starting conversations in the real world?" Too often, certain audiences are turned off by movies that come off as more lecture than entertainment. But what if a movie, disguised as a comedy, provides honest political commentary in an easy to digest manner that helps audiences reach across the aisle with their perspectives? Could a movie featuring a solid boner joke, a viral video with an unfortunate masturbation mishap, and a highly respected political figure high on molly negotiating a hostage situation like a straight up boss be the one that finally stops people in their tracks, makes them scratch their heads, and state "I never thought about it that way before?"

Honestly, probably not.

But given the choice between yet another film with a blatant message that feels like a lecture that won't be heard by the audience necessary, or Long Shot, which tackles political differences in an entertaining and delightful manner, I'd go with the latter.

By a long shot.
175 out of 336 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best movies of the year
stanleyaaron11 August 2019
I get why there are some 1 star reviews for this, it certainly leans left politically. Seth Rogen's character is a pretty far left journalist who gets swept up into the political games of a major democrat player, Secretary of State Charlotte Field. She is trying to get a major worldwide environment deal done and has her sights on the White House. The movie does make a point that Fred Flarsky (Seth Rogen) isn't able to see things from opposing points of view like reasonable Republican values. At face value I get why Republicans in this hostile political environment would hate this movie, but I don't think it's that simple. The message that we should work together is what both sides should all be getting behind. We will just divide further and nothing will ever get done if that happens. Just my 2 cents. Politics aside, this film was the biggest surprise of the year at the theater. I loved it. Charlize Theron is amazing in it. Seth Rogen does his usual thing, which I usually enjoy. It has some great side characters in June Diane Raphael (from How Did This Get Made podcast), Bob Odenkirk, Andy Serkis, and O'Shea Jackson Jr. The movie was very funny and had a really engaging love story. If you've seen some of Charlize Theron's interviews about how men are too intimidated to ask her out in real life (she says it really sucks) then you can actually believe that her character could conceivably fall for the passionate journalist Fred Flarsky.

I highly recommend this film. 9/10
16 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good romantic movie.
Romamul10 August 2019
Finally without nasty jokes. I watch the movie with my wife,and we both really enjoyed it.
DO NOT LISTEN TO THESE NON HUMOROUS PEOPLE
anntruly10 August 2019
In my opinion the film was funny I laughed like a bunch of times and I really love Charlize and Seth they are both funny. people are saying why seth why charlize bah blah blah youjust dont get the humor in this film. I enjoyed it. just watch if you are a fan of either one of them. charlize was even funnier here thsn in young adult. loveit
Doubtful to pleasantly surprised
raechelboo-929265 August 2019
I watched this movie thinking it was going to be just funny with a mediocre story arch but I ended up really enjoying it. The acting was perfect as in the chemistry between the actors. Not a very logical story line as in it had some very unrealistic scenes but overall I felt the emotions portrayed on screen. I ended up rooting for the characters. Overall I will recommend this movie and probably watch it a few more times. I've never written a review but I couldn't stand for the negative reviews. Watch it with an open mind and you can see that it was actually very well written and portrayed.
13 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved it!!! Laughed a lot! Beautiful story!
countrygurlinfl5 August 2019
Super Funny and a love comedy! My husband and I loved it!
wonderful movie
animesh-940-7115092 August 2019
Excellent movie, really cool movie, a love story with wonderful plots and twists, Seth Rogen at its best as always. Funny and really had a great time watching this movie
13 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really funny excellent casting too!
orchidami31 July 2019
Very fun gave the day a boost. Seth is hilarious and so is Charlize and such good chemistry. They are both great. I laughed and laughed. I would recommend this movie 100%.