Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 15 items
|MPAA||Rated PG-13 for thematic material including child imperilment, some disturbing images, language and brief sensuality|
Sex & Nudity
- A child's conception is discussed. In a flashback, we see a woman from behind wearing only a towel. The context is non-sexual (she is shooting at a wild animal). Her bare back, shoulders, side of the bare breasts, and legs can be seen but her buttocks is covered by the towel (small nudity).
- There is a scene where children go to a place that is something like a brothel. There are women there who short night gowns (bare legs, and cleavage are visible; no nudity).
Violence & Gore
- An adult character threatens a child character with violence on several occasions. These threats eventually lead to actual violence, with both adult and child striking each other.
- We see several dead animals, one being a cow with its stomach torn open with guts trailing out. A dead alligator carcass is also seen.
- There is a brawl between adults in one scene. The violence is fairly graphic and realistic.
- Instances of profanity - taken directly from the subtext - include; "ass" (6), "asses" (1), "asshole" (3), "bitch" (1), "bullshit" (1), "damn" (5), "fuck" (1), "goddamn" (4), "hell" (2), "pussy" (1), "shit" (3).
- However, in practice, much of the foul language throughout the film is either muttered, mumbled, or altogether incoherent... in many cases, due to simultaneous dialogue from several characters in a given scene.
- The only words that can be clearly heard are, (4) ass, (2) shit, (2) god***, and (2) pussy. Pussy is used not sexually, but as a way to describe weakness.
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- Some people are drunk. Also the father is seen drunk few times during the film.
- Some smoking. Also people are drunk while partying and dance in a festival.
- There is consumption of alcohol and drunkenness throughout the film. In one scene a child character drinks a shot of alcohol given to her by an adult.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- There are several disaster scenes throughout the film.
- A scary-looking mythical beast is shown.
- The relationship between an adult and child character is tense, and at times abusive. Some may find this too disturbing.
- Human death(s) occur in this film.