Inside Out (2015) Poster

(I) (2015)

Not for young children
Phil_Chester1 January 2021
I confess that I had to watch this twice before I could properly assess it. It's definitely not a young children's film, as there's precious little to entertain them, but it does have much to consider for older children and (young) adults. As a rumination on what drives us all through life, this is very effective, but I do feel that the story lacks something for making Riley so isolated in her world. Perhaps if she interacted a bit more in the story, this would be a more involving film, but the reflections on lost innocence do add some poignancy and lift this film slightly above average.
83 out of 126 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best Pixar Since Toy Story
matthewssilverhammer26 June 2015
After some ho-hum years and too many sequels, Pixar is back and better than ever with Inside Out, a boldly unique animated film that renews our faith in what a giant studio can do with an original concept. Docter combines the strengths of his two Pixar masterworks here: the endless inventiveness of Monster's Inc. and the poignant strength of Up. A truly fantastic mixture of fantasy-adventure-comedy and small-family-drama, it's a genius work of conception, execution and emotion that will go down in the annals of Disney animation as an instant and enduring classic. It follows Joy, the leading-emotion of an 11-year-old girl, as she tries to navigate a big change in her young life. Much like Toy Story 3, we're shown the inherent difficulties of growing up through a fresh viewpoint, learning what makes you "you". It's a convoluted idea that's nearly impossible to explain, and yet Pixar nails it, perfectly shifting between its parallel universes with ease. The humor throughout will undoubtedly have kids and adults in equal stitches, with fantastic turns from everyone, notably Poehler, Smith, Black, and Kind. However, this film's high-point may be the multiple emotional gut-punches that will reduce parents to tears. That fearlessness to be gloomy is basically the thesis of the film: true joy comes when every emotion is allowed to be recognized and dealt with healthfully. It's quite a psychologically complex stance to take for a film that manages to be so kid-friendly. This wonderful balancing act helps make Inside Out worthy of the "M" word (masterpiece) and gives it the distinction of being Pixar's best since the unparalleled Toy Story.
179 out of 377 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mandatory watch for children and parents alike.
Animany9423 November 2017
I did exactly what I was supposed to when watching this brilliant movie, I felt all the emotions at some point.

Pixar did it again with Inside Out. For a long time I had stubbornly repeated that Toy Story would always be my favourite from Pixar, but I changed my mind shortly after watching this one.

Like Toy Story you were offered a setup every adult can identify. Growing up learning how to control your feelings and learning the importance of every one of them. It is okay to be angry, sad, happy and afraid as long as we are taught how to manage them.

The idea of having this control panel inside a human body has been done before by Osmosis Jones (2001), but let's say with much less success. Inside out takes it to the highest level of perfection.

I loved the way Pixar made this world inside the main character of Riley, it is very creatively done and was in some ways just how I had imagined it. I must admit that I cried a couple of times during the movie, because it has some really touching moments.

You should be feeling all emotions when watching Inside Out. It is a must watch.
63 out of 122 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pixar's best film since Toy Story 3 and one of their finest overall
TheLittleSongbird24 July 2015
Most of Pixar's films are wonderful (short films too), and while the three films made after Toy Story 3 weren't up to their top standards they were still better than most animation companies at their worst. Inside Out was nothing short of a masterwork, Pixar's best since Toy Story 3 and one of their best overall.

Pixar films can be relied upon to have great animation, and Inside Out certainly does have great animation. No, wonderful animation and some of the company's most ingeniously inventive, with gorgeously vibrant colours, a very imaginatively rendered setting (and the lands even more ingeniously done, the next land more so than the last), very meticulous and beautifully modelled backgrounds and clever character designs that match the emotions more than ideally. Michael Giacchino's sparkling, rousing and very charming score is one of my personal favourite scores of the year so far, and every bit as great as his score for Up.

A superb job was done with the script here too, the comedy is clever and witty without ever being forced and balances subtly with the drama, the drama is some of the most truly poignant of any Pixar film and it doesn't ever feel manipulative or overdone and it's very smartly insightful. The story, not one of THE most innovative concepts but is one of the more imaginative uses of it and is quite original for Pixar actually, goes at a slightly steadier pace than other Disney films, but still captivated. It was very easy to completely connect with Riley and her situation and this was easily the Pixar film since Toy Story 3 that I connected with emotionally the most, also one of Pixar's most moving stories quite easily.

Loved the characters too, Anger, Fear, Disgust and Bing Bong (the imaginary friend and the 'epitome of immaturity', without ever being annoying, his back story did bring a tear to the eye) stole every scene they were in, and even Sadness managed to crack some funny one-liners even in her depressive state. Joy also positively lights up the screen and Riley was easy to connect with and much more than just a stereotypical teen girl. The voice acting is splendid. Amy Poehler is note perfect as Joy with her spirited banter giving the character so much life while also bringing a human element to her as well, Lewis Black gives an explosively barn-storming turn as Anger, Phyllis Smith is amusing and affecting, Bill Hader and Mindy Kaling are similarly priceless and in a way that makes the characters of Fear and Disgust endearing rather than annoying, Richard Kind is innocently charming and Kyle MacLachlan and Diane Lane are appropriately compassionate.

Overall, a masterful return to form for Pixar. It's their best since Toy Story 3 and one of their best overall as well. 10/10 Bethany Cox
43 out of 89 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I feel like everybody has missed the point
james-calver9 July 2016
I am not normally one to write reviews, but I couldn't help reading several for this film on this site that just did't seem to understand where I think the film was supposed to be coming from.

The majority of the complaints I saw were that the film was 'too depressing for a children's film', but whilst I see where they are coming from in some regards, every child who I have seen watch this film (I work in a cinema) has absolutely loved it, and laughed out loud almost constantly. They are not old enough to realise the message the film is trying to convey: that life isn't all about happiness. I applaud the attempt from Pixar to make a film that is not only hilarious in places, but is also a major comment on what life is like to be a younger teenager, transitioning through one of the most important moments of life.

From a more personal perspective, why should everything we show our children gloss over the reality of life, and try to make them believe everything is rosy 24/7? Again, what this film does brilliantly through the message I took away at the end was that life will never be 100% full of happiness, but that is fine. Why does it have to be? A little bit of sadness is necessary. If a person was never sad, they would be inhumane.

Overall then, I suppose my review is more of a comment on the type of film we exhibit to children, and how the Nanny-state we live in looks to protect them from most of lives inevitabilities. Either way, what can't be ignored is that this film is equal parts sad, and equal parts what I am sure will become a timeless classic in years to come.
549 out of 899 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
8.4 for shallow techno new age gibberish going nowhere?
Radu_A26 October 2015
A young girl's five emotions try to solve her identity crisis caused by moving, but when the wrong levers in brain's control center are pushed, things go awry.

That synopsis made me push watching this further and further ahead to, but I loved Docter's masterpiece "Up" so I had to watch this in a theater while I still could. Me and my partner thought, well, not really expecting much, so it will probably be OK. But oh what a disappointment it was. OK, I admit we are not teens. And love Japanese animation. And I do not appreciate Disney because of their marketing bonanza and ill-fitting gender stereotypes. But this film is so chock-full of fantasy-killing and misguided ideological messages that I am flabbergasted. It is beyond me how so little viewers find offense with the messages, and that these are thoroughly inappropriate for kids.

Like for instance: 1) You are not in control of your emotions, your emotions control you. 2) Thought and reason have no influence at all on your decisions. 3) If you do not keep your emotions in check, you will lose your memories. If you lose your memories, you will become emotionally unresponsive. 4) There is only one good emotion (joy). There are four negative ones (sadness, anger, disgust, fear). That is it. That is what everyone feels. To hell with love. Or desire. Or curiosity. Or faith. 5) In order to grow up, your joyful memories have to become sad memories. Why? Good question. That is the climax of the movie and there is no explanation why this should be the case.

None of this makes any sense. The whole plot is completely incoherent. These messages hold no educational value whatsoever. And strangely this seems to be more obvious to children than to adults - I heard a boy asking his parents what any of that was supposed to mean.

This is obviously made and marketed for tech-savvy young parents who think they should take their kids to something more "challenging" than "Planes 2". The parents look like what an ad exec at Disney imagines Google employees to look like - mom wears cute specs, dad a hipster beard and it is set in San Francisco on top of that. The whole thing is probably the most in-your-face marketing device posing for a movie that I have ever seen. And everybody seems to be literally buying it.

Well, not everybody. Some of the reviewers here do have similar issues, so all is not lost for the human race. If you care for an alternative story about a girl away from home struggling to adapt, there is the fantastic new Ghibli feature "When Marnie was there". That film has everything "Inside Out" has not: a story, believable characters, imagination, mystery, and most importantly: heart.
222 out of 469 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An Interesting Concept with a Handful of Inconsistencies
SquigglyCrunch20 September 2015
Inside Out is the hit Disney-Pixar animated movie about emotions, specifically emotions living inside a person's brain in a somewhat human form and controlling how people react to things. It's an interesting concept, and for the most part it's presented well, but there are flaws for sure.

The plot is, like I already said, interesting but flawed. It bothers me that people are saying that this is an incredibly original concept despite the fact that it's been done before. It's just the most popular use of the idea, but it's not the original. The story itself, however, has a handful of really good ideas, but there are inconsistencies with it too. The disappointing part is that most of the inconsistencies are actually pointless scenes that don't add to the story but instead end up taking away from it. There aren't a lot of them, but there's enough to take away from the movie itself. Most of the inconsistencies would spoil the movie, so you'll just have to watch it to understand. Other than that the ideas are good and some are even pretty amusing.

The characters are okay. I found the most interesting characters to be the parents personally, with Riley being as flat as a pancake and everyone else just not being important enough to even remember by the time the credits roll. For a movie about emotion, Riley really isn't presented in a very realistic way. Sure, at times she's good, but most of the time her character is just inconsistent. The parents were, on the other hand, much more consistent, and funnier most of the time.

I think that this movie had a great beginning and a great ending, it was just the middle stuff that struggled. It's a very emotionally intense movie, especially towards the end. I felt much more into the movie at these points, and even on my third watch I got a bit emotional about the ending. The movie felt a little too short as well, but maybe that's because I've seen it so many times already.

Overall Inside Out is just good. I think that I loved it so much originally (I gave it a 10/10) because of the ending. It was pretty emotional the first time, but after the second watch I started to question it. By the third watch I found inconsistencies and a handful of things that I just didn't like about the movie. Ideas and such that just weren't nearly as good as I remember. In the end I'd still certainly recommend this movie, but if you want to really love it then don't analyze it, because otherwise you'll notice the things that I did (probably).
175 out of 392 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The film got a 8+ because in the first 12 minutes.....
rusoviet23 January 2016
....voila the heroine, upon arriving in San Francisco, has the GLBT seal of approval, aka the 'de rigeur' long-T multi-colored Jessie Jacksonska 'mo fo' acceptance attire. Even allowing for that it wasn't long before the film meandered into 'Esalen' idiocy and bluntly this mess is an agenda driven film.

Boring - the animation was 'cheap' almost close to the Hanna Barbera crud of some 50 years ago - not well drawn

Compare it to a great cartoon film 'Wreck It Ralph' - no agenda, no corny 'angst' a great film filled with classic one liners and actors that bring a smile to every single scene.
187 out of 393 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Convoluted mess without entertainment value.
JeanMoniette14 November 2020
Love them or hate them, Disney movies have always had one thing in common: they tried to transport you into a magical world populated with interesting, colorful characters.

"Inside Out' foregoes that tradition and seems to be trying to explain basic principles of psychology to young audiences. The result is a mess: not only is it not 'fun', it's also constantly shoehorning painful exposition mechanism by having characters explain what's on screen.

I just don't see kids below 10 enjoying this in the least. And as an adult, there are better ways to learn about psychology than watching an animated film.

Utterly bizarre.
82 out of 167 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Older You Are the More You'll Like It
Michael_Elliott23 June 2015
Inside Out (2015)

*** 1/2 (out of 4)

Eleven-year-old Riley has a wonderfully fun childhood thanks to the emotions working inside of her. Joy (Amy Poehler), Sadness (Phyllis Smith), Fear (Bill Hader), Anger (Lewis Black) and Disgust (Mindy Kaling) all help keep the young girl moving forward but when her family moves from Minnesota to San Fransisco it throws everyone for a loop and soon Joy and Sadness find themselves lost in her system and trying to find their way back.

INSIDE OUT is certainly another winner from Pixar who are clearly the experts of the family movie. What really amazes me about the studio is that they're actually just making adult movies that kids happen to enjoy because of the pretty characters on the screen. I say this because films like this one, UP and WALL-E really do have adult stories dealing with adult issues yet somehow the studios are able to keep kids entertained while their parents get a lot more of the jokes and the emotions that the story provides. This one here is an incredibly touching story from a parent's point of view simply because of the changes that their kids go through.

There's no doubt that the animation is the star of this picture and we're really treated to some wonderful images. I especially loved the use of colors in the picture and how various colors had a certain emotion attached to it. This is certainly excellent once our adventure begins as there's a "long term memory" section where these wonderful color marble like things are collection. Just the site of this are a true treat for the eyes. All of the "emotion" characters are perfectly brought to life with both Joy and Anger really standing out. The human characters are also quite entertaining and there's no doubt that the Bing Bong character will go down as a favorite decades from now.

As I said, this film is going to work a lot better for older kids and adults as I'm sure the majority of young children aren't fully going to grasp the idea of emotions and how they effect our lives. The story itself is quite charming throughout and I was surprised at how many adult issues they were able to work on throughout the running time. Fans of Pixar are certainly going to love this as it's another winner that manages to work no matter what your age is. Still, I think the older you are the more you'll enjoy it.
25 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just a remake of a Japanese movie
darkbytes21 June 2015
This is just a remake of a Japanese movie called "Poison Berry in my Brain" which is an adaptation of a Comic by Setona Mizushiro release 2 YEARS ago!!!, They both contain exactly the same amount of "personalities" (5) making decisions in the brain, arranged in the same kind of room with the same table in the center!!! Pixar has had a rough last 2 years, with their movies under-performing at the Box-Office and with the critics... but can Pixar at least acknowledge what its based on?

The Manga, or comic the Japanese movie is based on came out on 2013, it's really hard for us to believe that it wasn't read by someone in Oixar, them being big fans of Japanese Anime and comics...
284 out of 592 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
James_De_Bello21 September 2015
94 minutes of pure joy and emotion. A return to masterclass from pixar and not only that, probably their best work outside of Toy Story 1 and 2. This film does deserves every bit of praise it has got and more. I will say without hesitation that if you haven't seen this film, believe me you should.

Lets just start easy by saying that the animation is something other-wordily. We are beyond the point where anyone needs to express the fact that pixar's animation is gorgeous, but the fact is this animation is some of the most intelligent and dense animation I have ever seen. There are easter eggs in every single frame and more than that every visual element in the movie is well rounded and clearly thought out which makes the storytelling so much more gripping. Talking about storytelling, rarely does a film do visual storytelling so brilliantly. Five minutes into the movie I was in and I knew how things were rolling. This s really a lesson on how to think things out visually and how to use visuals to your advantage as much as it is possible, combining them to smart, engaging ideas.

And now to the layers the film has. The deepness of its themes, the intelligence of its story, the subtext behind every action and word, the comedic touches, the insanely funny pop culture references, the poetic approach to joy and sadness, the emotional depth, everything, I'm telling you everything here is gut wrenching. There isn't one scene where you feel time is being wasted, there isn't one word a character speaks that doesn't feel genuine, there isn't one idea that is boring or unoriginal. This film is beyond emotionally engaging, this film gives you a mirror on which to reflect your life and think about it, but no wait it doesn't stop there, it also gives you the opportunity to laugh about it, that no matter what is going on there is also space for a laugh and for lightness. Wow.

After a second viewing I have settled on the problem I originally had and can now honestly say this film really just has nitpick issues, it's truly a great one and definitely the best we've been given in 2015 so far. After my first viewing I was all enthusiastic about everything above, but I also was left a little confused by the mythology the film uses and wasn't quite sure it always fit. Upon a second viewing I guarantee that there is no such problem. The mythology is perfect and works with a solid and thought out logic that takes into account the chaos of life. What doesn't quite work is the fact that the film does have a few really minor shortcuts or conveniences that may stick out and I honestly wanted a little bit more of the control center room scenes and see some more of how it worked there, but then again I am really nitpicking.

Incredible for me to say it, but I really want a sequel to this film, it's incredible. I want to see another two hours of the five emotions battling in out in the life of Riley and her further struggles, especially want to see the teenage years. This idea is truly amazing and special and it is so inspiring to me, I just really want a sequel to this film and that's the first time I've ever said that in my life.

Trust me this film deserves every single bit of your attention and heart, it will take you on a roller-coaster of emotions and entertainment that is absolutely delightful and will also leave you thinking for days.
73 out of 156 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
a pain to watch... (to be fair i watched it with a frined and she liked it...) so idk
imdbmoviereviews3 November 2019
If you'd ask me even if designed for children and.... the movies is simply bad.... simply boring and too emotional... i mean we get it it's a movie about emotions but everything feels over done predictable boring empty...

the ending was good and a bit funny in a sence but not enought to save from a 1 star

everything about the plot felt like it was over tought and very poorly... from the chalanges and path and.... it simply feels like it could have bring so much better...

and while i generally don't like movies of this kind and it is for children nd i took that into account most movies of this type are for me... "sufferable" but this one was such a cliche was so boring such a pain to watch that i simply regred watching it at all... boring if you'd ask me... your kids might like it maybe not but in the end of the day there are much better alternatives and...

to be fair the movie does look good visually... with good animations and..... but that's more of a technological thing...

whn i was a child movies weren't really like that... and that's a good aspect... yet movies for children from my time were better..... with better stories and u know...............................
87 out of 183 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Aside from a few slow portions in the middle, a marvelous film from Disney.
planktonrules18 June 2015
One important note: If you go see "Inside Out" be sure to get there on time so that you can see the short that precedes it, "Lava". It's an amazing short film--one of the best CGI shorts I've ever seen. But, like "Inside Out", its audience really is adults, not kids.

This film appears to have been inspired by a now defunct but wonderful exhibit at Epcot at Disney World. Cranium Command was a strange movie which featured lots of film clips and audio animatronics to embody the various emotions battling within a young boy. Here in "Inside Out", you have a group of entities that also embody the feelings...but in a young girl. When the film focuses on these five emotions, it's at its best---clever, fun and often sweet and tender. Unfortunately, the film loses its way a bit in the middle--and seems to have succumbed to some distractions. Fortunately, it finds its way very well at the end-- and ending which is incredibly satisfying and perhaps might require some Kleenex.

The film is incredibly well animated and I was impressed by the 3-D version as it used this technology well. Additionally, the story is nothing like any CGI film I've ever seen. My only reservation is that the story might be a bit difficult for children to understand and the plot seems much more for older kids, teens and, especially, adults.
23 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Torture for parents
Westeire12 September 2015
I know there are lots of good reviews. The trailer looked good. Kids wanted to see it. But to be honest found it pretty boring and a waste of money. Where to start, well its an American movie. Just watch the trailer, there isn't much more to it than the trailer, intact its best parts are in the trailer. It goes round in circles. Honestly for movies like this there should be a warning for parents that it may cause severe boredom. Anyway as cartoons go I suppose its fine.lacks laugh out loud humor and its lazy animation is disheartening. Pixar films are known to pack an emotional punch and this doesn't have any of that. All it has to offer is a misguided heart that is visually displeasing.
356 out of 767 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just a bunch of hype
jacobjohntaylor13 June 2017
This not a 8.2 it is a 4. The acting is pretty good. The story line is just so so. I have seen worst. There are better movies out there that are nothing like this one. Godzilla is better. So is King Kong. I did not know what all the hype is about. It really is not a big deal. It might have worked as a short film. But for 1 hour and 35 minutes it gets a little trying. If you think this an 8.2 or better that is fine with me. I do not see what the big deal is here. But fine. If you have not seen this movie do not wast your time. And do not wast your money. You have been warned this is not a movie you really need to see in spite of what people say.
20 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolutely Brilliant!
crimson_knight_724 June 2015
For every child, growing up can be exciting, confusing, and difficult. For Riley, who is uprooted from her Midwest life when her father starts a new job in San Francisco, Riley is directed by her emotions, Joy (Amy Poehler), Fear (Bill Hader), Anger (Lewis Black), Disgust (Mindy Kaling) and Sadness (Phyllis Smith) in Headquarters Control Center inside Riley's mind to help her overcome everyday life. However, Riley and her emotions struggle to adjust to Riley's new life in San Francisco and emotional disorder arises. Although Joy, Riley's main and most fundamental emotion, tries to keep things optimistic, the emotions fight on how best to navigate Riley's new world.

After watching "Inside Out" with my wife, we both agreed that "Inside Out" is the perfect Pixar Animation movie for any family on a night out. It was both imaginative and relatable for both children and adults. I never thought "Inside Out" would be this enjoyable, but I was able to experience every emotion of "Joy", "Disgust", "Anger", "Fear", and "Sadness" for each and every moment of this film. At the end of the night, I was pleasantly unsatisfied because I wanted to watch the movie again and again. Parents, if you're looking for a fun filled movie night with your children, this movie will not only please them, but you as well.

A Definite 9!! Well done Pixar!
203 out of 418 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Inside Out is that emotional journey that has been missing from the movies for years. This is one of the best animated stories of all time!
RforFilm18 June 2015
Inside Out may be the most cartoony story Pixar has released but it is also the most complex and mature. On the one hand, the majority of it is set within the mind of an eleven year old girl and her imagination, but the movie bears in mind (no pun intended) that the human brain is a complex organ that operates on many levels and circuits. The subconscious, abstract thought, memory and emotion all had to be given a physical form for Inside Out. Like a lot of people, I trust Pixar, yet didn't think that they had the talent to pull off something as unique, but crazy as the idea intended.

I like to think of my brain running like a computer with perfectly synthesized control in place that's ready to deal with the many problems of the real world as the machine is quick to place the right emotion in time. Not every emotion is correct, but with the right mindset, the solution eventually comes. Everyone thinks differently and I wouldn't have been surprised if the film's focus picked a different approach. Inside Out also presents a human mind that does run like a machine, but actually gives a personality to each emotion to run it.

A girl named Riley is living happily with her family in Minnesota. Her goofy and friendly personality is thanks to the emotion that runs her the most, Joy (played by Amy Poehler). She works with the other emotions, Fear (played by Bill Hader), Anger (played by Lewis Black), Disgust (played by Mindy Kaling), and not so much with Sadness (played by Phyllis Smith) to ensure that Riley remains that happy kid she is. But as with life, every kid has to come to their first big event that begins their journey into a full human. In this case it's a move.

Riley's family moves from Minnesota to San Francisco, and the emotions are having a hard time figuring out the best reaction. Joy would like to continue for Riley to stay happy, but Sadness starts to have the effect of changing past memories from happy to sad. A fight between Joy and Sadness causes them to be sent to long term memory, leaving the other emotions to run Riley. The child clearly has trouble adapting to the big city life and starts to shut herself out, even considering running away. Joy and Sadness must get back to headquarters to fix Riley, but Joy may not know what's best for everyone.

Like Toy Story, Monsters Inc, Finding Nemo and Up, Inside Out is a buddy trip story that works because of it's leads. Amy Poehler and Phyllis Smith make a great time that work off of each other well. It's not just these two as all folks casted are well known comedians that are well placed in their roles. It kind of reminded me of The Lego Movie, but while that was meant to be a full comedy, Inside Out is one of the biggest emotional journeys ever put on screen.

I would love to see the writing process that this movie went though as both stories (the real world and the world inside Riley) connect and play so well that either could operate on their own, but they still need each other. Riley represents that hard part of childhood when they discover that the world is such a big place that we all go through what she did; fear about what could happen to us, disgust at what we don't understand, anger when things go wrong, sadness when we are at our lowest, and joy when we finally realize that things can still go well even after all of that.

I'll give this five happy memories out of five. Pixar has officially returned to form! Inside Out is the kind of movie that everyone will talk about for a long time; the kind of word of mouth that no one could ever buy; the one that kids will love the imagination from; the one that adults will find fascinating and emotional. Inside Out is a perfect movie and needs to be seen. It's not that you should consider watching this, but you NEED to see this.
52 out of 116 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An artistic triumph
mohan5921 September 2015
For some reason, I couldn't quite catch this movie in theaters and I managed to watch it on an international flight. And boy, am I glad I did!

As far as concepts go, I was astonished at the amount of detail and coherence in execution. The visuals are absolutely stunning, the colors rich and vibrant, the characters utterly memorable and some of the most poignantly heart-breaking lines of dialogue ever spoken/sung in any movie, let alone feature animation. It is every bit a Disney-Pixar classic and as emphatic a return to form as it can get.

The story revolves around a young girl child who is happy in her world and has to suddenly acclimatize to another environment when her family has to move. Growing pains and social issues affect her while she grapples with increasingly complex situations, both at home and school. Meanwhile, the interplay between the five primary emotions inside her mind is both dynamic and fraught with compromises, much like how we deal with others everyday. As things come to a head and young Riley is about to make a life-changing decision, the events that follow leave a lasting impression, with an increased appreciation of the phrase "emotions are what makes us human"!

I recognized some dichotomies - for instance, Minnesota, usually perceived cold, is regarded as warm and comforting by Riley while San Francisco, renowned for its sunny weather, is seen as foreign and unwelcome. The other contrast I noticed was all five emotional figures (Joy, Sadness, Anger, Fear, and Disgust) do not always stay true to form, with Joy especially exhibiting nuances far beyond what her name implies - case in point, her touching admission preceding the last act (that entire sequence was too much for my eyes to take, by the way). All this might be considered a tad too much for young children to appreciate, but with time, they may probably realize how beautifully honest this movie was in trying to portray their growth and the underlying issues.

Certainly, it is not without flaws: the plot meandered a bit 2/3rds into the length; Joy's "A-ha" moment seems strangely contrived, despite the impact it had; the music was adequate but not truly captivating as in the case of other Pixar offerings. But the beauty of this medium is that it offers filmmakers opportunities to steer audiences to more engaging experiences; Pete Docter and Co accomplish this with aplomb.

In terms of cast and crew, the voice actors are superb selections - Lewis Black aces the Angry persona with generous dollops of sarcasm; Mindy Kaling is just perfect voicing Disgust; Richard Kind's performance as the imaginary Bing Bong is an absolute tear-jerker, while Kaitlyn Dias shows remarkable poise playing Riley. But it is Amy Poehler who steals the show in a coruscating blend of vivacity, vibrancy, and vicariousness. Her Joy is not an infallible leader, but one who accepts others in the face of challenging situations and plows ahead with inspiring positive energy. The animation left me spell-bound, especially the sequence where thoughts are shown to be abstracted, and are endowed with a lot of heart. The movie is fairly short, but a running time of 94 minutes is appropriate justice to a slightly heavy subject matter. The humor compensates with trademark Pixar staple of jokes, albeit intended for slightly more mature viewers. Pete Docter gave us the outstanding Up six years ago and ably accompanied by Ronnie del Carmen, has categorically demonstrated that he is a fabulous storyteller and a master entertainer.

Inside Out is every bit a Pixar fan's well-deserved reward for patience. Do yourself a favor and watch this magnificent gem.
197 out of 414 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Where is Wisdom?
victornunnally16 April 2016
I am sitting here watching this animated nightmare with my niece who seems to like the movie. I asked her; "Is that it?...is that all the emotions they are presenting to you? Where is wisdom? Where is faith?" The film is disturbing as it presents no magic to being a kid. It seems to play a lot on getting down in this world and reacting with anger and fear. Joy tries to rescue the mind but is being manipulated by outside forces trying to be goofy but lost in deception. I am not sure what this film is trying to suggest. I recall as a kid I use to have two characters in my head, little aliens, one good and one bad. They would do battle but good would win out each time. Yet, the little manipulative one would sometimes disguise himself as good. Yet, wisdom would come into play and I would send both aliens out of my head. Is Disney being operated by a cult? Each film dumbs the mind with eye candy tactics. Every time a Disney film ends my mind is left empty and my memory is void of emotion. Use wisdom and stay away from this warped garbage.
166 out of 336 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is the Pixar I Know and Love
Marjeez17 May 2015
Please excuse any mistakes as my English is not very good. There are no spoilers in this review.

I had the pleasure of seeing 'Inside Out' at the Cannes Film Festival and I must say it was wonderful and a huge step-up from Pixar's recent efforts. The trailers don't really do it justice. The story may seem complicated for younger viewers, but the way Pixar tells the story fits for both adults and children. The pacing is in the vein of Wall-E, and in that sense it is very much a film for adults as it is for kids (like most Pixar movies). The story here is surprisingly raw and emotional, one that has very deep underlying themes that adults will connect with. Many of the audience members were crying at the end. It has one of the most original stories for an animation in the last few years, and I believe many people (especially adults) will form a connection to it.

Speaking of animation, the film is breathtakingly beautiful. There is a nice contrast of colors that make it look vibrant, like Pixar's 'UP'. The voice cast did a wonderful job and you couldn't ask for better direction from Pete Doctor and co. I cannot wait to see this a second time with family and friends. Highly recommended.

PS: The short that played before the film, 'Lava', was also beautiful. It was sort of a musical, and it was quite funny and clever. The audience even applauded at the end of it, myself included. In that sense, it provides the entire package a nice balance of joy and laughter (Lava) followed by deep storytelling and emotion (Inside Out).
141 out of 296 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great ride through emotions!
MuviFan7329 September 2015
Inside out is movie about emotions. Various emotions depicted in the movie are joy, fear, disgust, anger and sadness. The movie is about a girl who grows up to 11 years of age and then faces, what we can say, her first major mental breakdown resulting in a sad core memory formation. This happens because of the reason they move from Minnesota to a new place. The dull phase of her life is gradually overcome as the movie progresses as she learns to handle emotions more nicely.

A human brain consists of various parts. It's fair to say that activity in certain part is responsible for a specific emotion. The movie has portrayed it very nicely. Human brain is very complicated structure. How it works majorly remains a mystery. The work done in the movie is a great representation of available information. The movie shows how a human being matures in terms of his emotions. Its shown how the girl learns to handle multiple emotions in terms of memory.

My personal favorite emotions(characters) go in order anger, fear, joy, disgust, and sadness. Anger being the most liked one. The movie is wonderful, great job done by creators. Fairly recommended.
36 out of 79 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you think this is original, I pity you
Terastas27 June 2015
No. This is not an original idea. It is a done-to-death movie idea. It was done by Herman's Head, by Osmosis Jones, and by almost every "Fantastic Voyage" episode of God only knows how many Saturday morning cartoons.

And all of them, EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM, did it better than Inside Out.

First of all, the characters. They are QUITE LITERALLY ONE-DIMENSIONAL. Instead of opting for personifications of complex concepts like the id and the ego or conflicting mindsets idealist, the pragmatist and the narcissist, Pixar chooses to dumb the concept down as much as possible and gives us personified emotions.

The setting? Yes, it's beautifully animated, but again: It's nothing we haven't seen done before and done better, both with a better interpretation AND with more humor.

The plot? What plot?

There is literally not a single original idea in this entire movie. Even the imaginary friend, which should have been where Pixar flexed their creative muscles the most, looks like something they stole out of the Jim Henson Wing of the Puppet Museum.

So what does that leave? The countless "Easter egg" references to other Pixar movies. Which, more and more, seem less like things they thought would be fun to throw in and more like an endless barrage of reminders that. . .

THIS IS PIXAR AND THAT MEANS YOU STUPID SHEEP ARE SUPPOSED TO LOVE THIS CRAP!!!!

And it's that last point that ultimately pisses me off the most, because the sad fact is that they probably don't even need to badger their audiences into thinking this crap is not crap.

If any animation company other than Pixar had come out with this crap, it would have tanked at the box office hard enough to close the studio. But because it's Pixar, it's cleaning up at the box office, being lauded over by critic after critic for the "originality" of ideas that were shamelessly stolen, and will very likely walk away with yet another undeserved Oscar for Best Animated Feature.

No, this is not a great movie. This is freaking crap. And if we don't call this movie out for the freaking crap that it is and stop giving Pixar money, praise and accolades no matter what kind of crap they give us, we can forget about ever seeing movies anywhere near the same quality as Up, The Incredibles or WALl-E ever again.
215 out of 455 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolutely nothing of interest for an adult male.
jmichael33877 July 2015
There have been plenty of cartoon-movies that, even though they weren't geared toward me, at least had something of interest. 'Inside Out' has nothing. Just saw it last night....and not once did anything peak my interest even for a minute. If any man likes this movie, I just wouldn't know what to say.

It's just a bunch of emotion-cartoon-characters chasing emotion-balls around inside of the girl's head. Boring, annoying, and extremely childish movie. Sure a very small child might like it. Maybe women like the concept of these battling emotions. But for the average guy....trust me, it's of zero interest. It's not clever. It's very childish and intended for children 8 and under.
179 out of 376 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Doctor's only real misfire. It is so fundamentally confused
CubsandCulture13 January 2021
This film is very frustrating because it is so close to being a wonderful experience that ranks among the very best Pixar. But the concept is just not suited to a longer narrative film-especially one that is intended to be a bittersweet comedy. The emotion-people are driving around us people-people is a funny, striking concept. The film flashes brilliance repeatedly by using this concept logically. Lewis Black as Anger is some of the best casting of all time. But alas the film doesn't work. I believe the following three conceptual problems are what do the film in.

First Riley is not a real character in the film because Riley is not the seat of consciousness-Joy is. (This is true for all human "characters" and their dominate emotions.) This means that the story of Riley adjusting to moving to San Francisco rings entirely hollow because Riley is a mere automaton. She feels *nothing* only her emotion-people do. (The film's conception of how emotions work is *really* hard to work out the details.)

Second, Joy and the other emotion-people are basically stuck in whatever emotion they are or cause. I.e. Joy is joyful, Fear is fearful, etc. This ends up causing two problems: the characters can be annoying because conceptually they are stuck in a single mode. Joy-being the main character-suffers the most from this. She is too chirper and it is grating. People might differ on this and find say Sadness too morose. Second, the emotion-people should not be able to feel emotions besides they one they are. Joy is Joyful and she should be unable to feel anything else at all.

This brings me to the third conceptual problem. The film cheats on the last point and allows the emotion-people to have emotions besides the one they are. Joy for example *feels* sadness. This is because drama requires characters to change through time-this is why I think the concept is better suited to a short. However, this utterly undermines the explanation of where emotions come from that is the basis of the film. Either Joy herself has five emotions in *her* head to control *her* emotions or the emotion-people feel emotions as brute fact. In either case it does not work as an explanation; you either get an infinite regressions (it's emotions in heads all the down!) or there is no explanation for the emotion-people emotions beyond brute fact but in that case why no simply say humans feel as brute fact?

The last point might seem like I am taking the film too literally. Perhaps I am but even as metaphor I find the conceptual problems to much to stomach. I simply cannot suspend my disbelief and go with the film. It is more perplexing and ill-considered the more you look at it.
13 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.