Trouble with the Curve (2012) Poster

At Least a Triple
cattjones22 September 2012
I normally do not like movies about sports. I love sports; just not movies about sports. That being said, this film was not so much about baseball as it was about a father and daughter relationship. It also touched on how technology has taken over the human element of scouting for players. This film is the complete opposite of Money Ball, where technology actually helps in building a team. Gus Lobel (Clint Eastwood) is an aging scout for the Atlanta Braves who is struggling with his eyesight and the front office has doubts about whether or not he is still up to the job of spotting up and coming talent. Because of this affliction, Gus is a grumpy old man which actually adds a lot of humor to the film. His character kind of reminded me of the character that Eastwood played in Grand Torino. His daughter Mickey (Amy Adams) discovers that her father is having difficulty, reluctantly takes on the roll of caregiver and follows her father on his scouting adventure. Incidentally, she knows more about baseball than probably anyone else in this film. Johnny Flanagan (Justin Timberlake) is an aspiring sports announcer who was scouted by Gus years ago. The relationship that develops between Mickey (named for Mickey Mantle) and Johnny is fun to watch and provides some insight to Mickey's reluctance to develop a serious relationship with any man. Pete Klein (John Goodman) plays the mediator role that brings Mickey and Gus together. I really liked his unyielding devotion and trust to Gus. It was also good to once again see Scott Eastwood (Billy Clark) act alongside his father. They have acted together in several films, and it was good to see them spending some family time together. I think that the entire cast definitely made this film better and I am sure that it will draw young viewers to the theater. I do not think that this film was utterly brilliant, but it was thoroughly entertaining. There were aspects of the film that were totally predictable, but I looked forward to seeing it play out. Director Robert Lorenz may not have hit it out of the park (like he did with Million Dollar Baby), but I think that it is a definite triple play. I recommend that you do not sit on the bench and go out and see this film. I give this film a green light.
83 out of 105 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lightened up Mr. Eastwood
dvc515921 September 2012
"How the hell do you know I'm lucky to survive?"

Legendary screen icon Clint Eastwood returns in front of the camera since his hit "Gran Torino". No matter what anyone else thinks of him, I will always admire the man. He is one of my heroes. Who else can personify the action hero perfectly, become a gifted filmmaker, improve his acting ability as he ages AND be quite the jazz musician?

Mr. Eastwood may be old but he still has a commanding presence on screen. Granted, he might be the only leading octogenarian in Hollywood right now, but still, I digress. He is old. That is a fact. At the age of 82, seeing him play an elderly man losing his sight while bonding with his distant daughter makes it quite sad for me to watch. However, "Trouble With the Curve" is a breeze to watch.

It is not a baseball movie, although baseball is the basis of the film's story. Nor is it a depressing drama (Mr. Eastwood's favorite genre of late). It is a father-daughter bonding dramedy, with some great chemistry between Mr. Eastwood and Amy Adams as his estranged daughter. Justin Timberlake also arrives to lighten up the atmosphere even more, and his presence is welcome in the film.

Mr. Eastwood is not in the director's chair this time. His long-time producer partner, Robert Lorenz, makes his directorial debut with this film. Apparently Lorenz directs the cast with ease although it feels too by-the-numbers. But hey, there are much worse debuts. Judging from the breezy pace and the somewhat brisk editing and lively cinematography, it's clear from the get-go that the superb "Eastwood touch" is not evident in the film, even though some of Mr. Eastwood's key players are still here - cinematographer Tom Stern and editor Joel Cox - though the music by Marco Beltrami (not Mr. Eastwood nor his son this time!) complements the atmosphere pleasantly.

Look, this is not a great film. It's a pedestrian and predictable film, with Mr. Eastwood, Adams, Timberlake, as well as an impressive supporting cast featuring John Goodman and Robert Patrick, phoning in the performances. Both Adams and Mr. Eastwood have acted much more superbly in better previous movies ("Gran Torino", "Million Dollar Baby", "The Fighter"). But it is funny, it is sad at times (Mr. Eastwood's heart-wrenching singing of 'You are My Sunshine' is forever embedded in my head), and it is easy on the eyes, ears and mind, a relaxing pleasure to watch. It is great entertainment. From all the big- budget blockbusters out in cinemas last summer, this is a joy. You'll walk out smiling.

Overall: 70%
71 out of 94 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Trouble With The Curve Hits A Solid Home Run
patsworld11 October 2012
Clint Eastwood has being a curmudgeon honed to perfection. How refreshing to see a mature actor creating appropriate roles, and not trying to be a plastic version of his - or her, for that matter in many cases - former self playing inappropriately younger parts. He is excellent in this movie. Amy Adams is, as in every film I've seen her in, a total delight. I never was a fan of John Goodman in his earlier years, but the older he gets and the meatier the roles he takes on, the more appreciation I have for him. And Justin Timberlake has a role absolutely meant for him. He is a sexy little hunk, no doubt about it, with personality to spare. Oh, I loved this movie! The exhilaration of baseball, the heart-tugging familiarity of family issues….this one has a lot going for it and I enjoyed each and every minute of it. It's as good as expectations built it up to be. I would advise you not to miss this one!
43 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well Worth Seeing
kez021 September 2012
Just got back from seeing this movie, and I enjoyed it very much.

I'm not a person who follows sports, and even though baseball terms were thrown around, I had no problem keeping up with the story. The casting was phenomenal; each character was portrayed perfectly by the actors.

The story may be a little cliché, but it was enjoyable all the same. The plot is about a father and grown daughter trying to reconnect over baseball scouting. There is drama, laughs, and even a few tears along the way.

I highly recommend this movie.
73 out of 103 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A possible pioneer
StevePulaski22 September 2012
It pains me to say that I've already heard many people say they will not be seeing Trouble with the Curve because of Clint Eastwood's "antics" at the Republican National Convention just a few weeks ago. Their loss. Not being able to separate the man from the actor is something that took me a while to do, but the way some do it now is childish and immature. I wonder if those same people knew Eastwood was a Libertarian/Republican when he was playing "Dirty Harry." Hard to believe it has been nineteen years since Eastwood himself acted in a film he has not directed. He lends the camera to Robert Lorenz, who assisted him in directing much of Eastwood's filmography, including Flags of Our Fathers and the acclaimed Best Picture winner Million Dollar Baby. Lorenz's captures screenwriter Randy Brown's simple but uplifting, intimate story of a man's devotion to a game and his brewing reconnection with his daughter he seemingly abandoned at a young age.

I'll catch you up; Eastwood plays Gus Lobel, an elderly scout for the Atlanta Braves baseball team, who is becoming increasingly frail and ill-equipped with deteriorating eyesight. The Braves are losing faith in Gus's abilities, because in recent years, baseball has been run more by computer predictions and online statistics rather than physically sitting in the stands and scouting. Gus doesn't hold back on his hatred for computers, making them sound like limited fossils and being unable to predict more detailed outcomes. One wonders if he is mindlessly ranting or wouldn't even like a computer if he knew how to use one.

Pete, played by John Goodman, on a roll now with winning films, is Gus's close friend who is convincing the Braves' organization that despite Gus's poor eyesight, that he is an invaluable asset and needs to stay. He recruits Gus's daughter, Mickey (Amy Adams), to assist him in scouting a young prodigy in North Carolina, who currently plays for a high school team. Mickey's mother died when she was young and shortly after, Gus sent her to live with relatives whom she barely knew. During the scouting trip, Mickey winds up meeting one of Gus's friends whom he used to scout back in the day, named Johnny "The Flame" Flanagan (Justin Timberlake), for his one-hundred mile-an-hour fastball. We can see where this is headed.

We can see where much of the film is headed throughout its runtime but it's scarcely a burden because the warmth and bold character study on three of 2012's most interesting characters is a soothing and efficient one. Eastwood turns in the racism and foul rants he expertly utilized in Gran Torino for some nuanced anger as Gus, and as always, comes off as charismatic and effortlessly likable. Amy Adams does some fine work here, showing us that she is an up-and-coming female actress that is going under the radar, somewhat like Emily Blunt, and fearlessly plays the role of a woman in desperate need of answers, which her father will not give her. And Justin Timberlake continues to show is versatility and heart playing a totally different character from his last one and hitting every note properly.

It would appear that screenwriter Aaron Sorkin could have possibly started a new trend with sports films that was seldom seen before his film Moneyball, and that trend is centering a story around a sport but making the center the characters and not the on-field theatrics. Never are we truly consumed in the story of this young scouter, but we shouldn't be. And never were we truly gripped by the Oakland Athletics players in Moneyball - mainly because we never saw them play or were even formally acquainted with them. Both films center around the same sport, but ones' agenda is to show the gritter business side of baseball, while the other is the story of a father and daughter reconnecting with the sport in the foreground. With both films, it's needless to say, I'm all for this brewing trend.

Starring: Clint Eastwood, Amy Adams, Justin Timberlake, Matthew Lillard, and John Goodman. Directed by: Robert Lorenz.
53 out of 76 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Drama
BigBudde20 September 2012
A great film for sports fans and non sports fans alike. Great drama and acting by Clint Eastwood and Amy Adams. They really make a believable father and daughter. Justin Timberlake was also good as a washed up pitcher turned baseball scout. It follows a story of a baseball scout (Eastwood) who is getting towards the end of his career, and scouting the potential number one pick for the Atlanta Braves. Eastwood is definitely getting up there but he can still act and plays this part perfectly. The film moves along good, and is enjoyable from start to finish. It has laughs, drams and some romance. Great for a couple or for the family. An added bonus if you're a baseball fan. 8/10.
58 out of 87 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Clint Eastwood is Great, Amy Adams is Brilliant
TheTruthDoor23 September 2012
"Trouble With The Curve" is a wonderful film. The casting, acting, writing, direction, were all superb. The location scenery was beautiful.

Clint Eastwood is at the top of his game, he plays his part effortlessly. And, OMG, Amy Adams was unbelievable, she is amazing and beautiful, she deserves the Oscar for this film. The chemistry between Clint and Amy was perfect.

This is not a baseball movie, it is a father-daughter film in the fashion of "On Golden Pond". It will make you laugh, think and cry.

Another Clint Eastwood film that Hollywood can be proud of. Go see it.
52 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Trouble with the curve needs some straightening out
dgefroh11 December 2012
I'm a big Clint Eastwood fan, and I really like Amy Adams. Justin Timberlake was decent and a likable guy in this movie, so what's the problem? The problem is the story or should I say lack of a decent story. This movie is so predictable that 10 minutes into it you will be able to figure everything out including the ending. I don't understand why Clint Eastwood would accept or take on this role, maybe it's because he gets to be the crabby, hard headed, cigar smoking, never smiling, snarling old timer like he has played so well in previous good movies such as Gran Torino, Million dollar baby, and The unforgiven. Regardless of why he is in this predictable, silly waste of time, the bottom line is that this movie fails in every aspect. This is not a baseball movie, it's not a drama, it's not a romantic comedy, it's truly a waste of what might have been, could of been, or should of been a potential excellent trip into movie magic. I didn't hate this one, but I didn't like it either, I suspect the reason I didn't hate it is because I really do like Clint Eastwood movies and I'll forgive him this one slip.
31 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Movie with Clint Eastwood and Amy Adams Can only Be Great
claudio_carvalho4 May 2013
In Atlanta, the aging Brave's baseball scout Gus Lobel (Clint Eastwood) is near the end of his contract and the manager Vince (Robert Patrick) questions whether it is not the time for his retirement. Meanwhile the stubborn and grumpy Gus learns that he has problems with his eyes and need to go to a specialist but he hides the medical recommendation from everybody.

Gus's boss and friend Pete Klein (John Goodman) knows that baseball is the pride and joy of Gus and a retirement would kill him and asks him to travel to North Caroline to scout the promising player Bo Gentry (Joe Massingill). Pete also protects Gus from the ambitious colleague Phillip Sanderson (Matthew Lillard) that wants his position and to get Gus fired. Pete visits Gus's estranged daughter Mickey (Amy Adams), who is an efficient lawyer that is disputing a partnership in the office where she works with her colleague Todd (James Patrick Freetly), and asks her to travel with Gus to North Caroline. Mickey is a great fan of baseball and has a great knowledge of the sport since she used to travel with her father when she was young, but she has a childhood trauma since Gus abandoned her with an uncle when she was a child.

In North Caroline, Gus meets the former pitcher Johnny (Justin Timberlake), who had an early retirement due to an injured shoulder and now is scouting for the Red Socks but aiming to be a broadcaster. When he meets Mickey, there is a mutual attraction between them. Along the days, Gus discovers that Gentry has problems with balls pitched in curve and he does not recommend the player to the Brave. He also tells Johnny about Gentry's problem. But when Phillip advises Vince to hire Gentry, Vince's decision affects the lives of Gus, Mickey and Johnny.

"Trouble with the Curve" is a good movie with Clint Eastwood and Amy Adams about baseball and relationship. It is impressive the longevity of Clint Eastwood and how adapted he is to this phase of his life. Amy Adams is one of most delightful actresses of Hollywood. The story entwines drama with romance and sport and the result is an enjoyable movie even for those like me that are not fan of baseball. My vote is seven,

Title (Brazil): "Curvas da Vida" ("Curves of the Life")
15 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Underwhelming
grantss31 December 2019
Great cast but plot and direction are listless. Story just feels trite and predictable.

Stand-out performance goes to Amy Adams. Clint Eastwood plays his usual curmudgeonly role, which is starting to feel a bit tired and predictable now. Good support from John Goodman. Justin Timberlake is Ok in his role.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unchallenging and predictable but also charming in an old fashioned movie sort of way
juneebuggy27 October 2016
I liked this one quite a bit even though it borders on predictable and Clint Eastwood portrays exactly the same hard headed, grumpy old man character he did in 'Gran Torino' and 'Million Dollar Baby'. Amy Adams is likable and engaging as his daughter and there is also a more than decent back up cast in Justin Timberlake, John Goodman, Robert Patrick, Matthew Lillard and George Wyner.

This is not so much a baseball movie as a drama following Gus Lobel, a veteran talent scout for the Atlanta Braves whose eyesight (and ability to pee) is failing him. The front office begins to question if he has become to old to continue and an upcoming scouting job could be his last.

This brings in his estranged daughter who reteams with Gus, putting her own career in jeopardy while hoping to finally get some answers from dad who (in another cliché Clint storyline) can't let go of the past.

We also get a lukewarm romance between Adams and a former pick of Gus's turned rival scout named Johnny (Timberlake).

As a whole this was unchallenging and predictable but also heartwarming and charming in an old fashioned movie sort of way. Its worth a watch. 10/23/16
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
520th Review: Happy to go out to this ballpark
intelearts7 December 2012
Curve is a return to a more old-fashioned style of baseball film after Moneyball - but one that has some real acting and even a little sport's magic about it - and you can see both styles of film-making here.

Eastwood is more than watchable as the old dog of a baseball scout, Adams deliveries a great performance - she pulls off the difficult role of cute and ballsy with panache, and Timberlake is charming, but definitely Wahlberg would be first pick here, Justin struggles a little to get beyond romantic comedy to something matching the gravitas the other two bring (with a light touch).

The film is a wonderful relationship film with sports - not many films really look at grown father and grown daughter and work that through in mainstream cinema - Curve does, and the script is good.

All in all, if you like sports with more than just the sport this is well worth your time - it is one of my favourites of the year.
11 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Eastwood is not the director here
lagudafuad20 December 2012
"Now get out of here before I have a heart attack trying to kill you." That is my favorite line from the 80 something Clint Eastwood in this movie Trouble with the Curve. The movie is sport drama, that is kind of predictable and it does drag, that you can actually get up, go to the toilet get back and still not have missed anything. This is Eastwood's first acting role since 2008's Gran Torino and his first acting role in a movie where he is not the director since 1993's In the Line of Fire.

The great thing about this movie is Clint Eastwood; his years of acting and directing made it easy for him to flow with the other actors, and making him the principal person to look out for when you do decide to watch this flick.

The movie plot is about an old retiring baseball scout Gus (Clint Eastwood) who is about to finish up his contract in 3 months, Gus eyes are failing him and his old time friend Pete (John Goodman) calls up his daughter Mickey (Amy Adams) to keep an eye on her father.

Mickey who is very busy, had to break away from her demanding work to go be with Gus and together they go scouting where they met Johnny (Justin Timberlake) a former player that Gus scouted out.

Not much of a big fan of Timberlake's acting, his performance in In Time (2012) is the best I have seen him in till date, here is just a supporting actor running around being a pest. The love story or romance perpetuated in this movie is too shallow, if this is how easy it is to fall in love, then I will tie myself to my wife everywhere she goes. (Note: there was no adulterous act in the movie)

The movie's high point will be the locations, the movie was filmed in various locations giving it the rich feel like you are traveling with a scout, and it does pull up the question of man vs machine, which will triumph. In the other baseball based sport drama Moneyball (2012) which starred Brad Pitt, machine seems to be the victor; here man seems to be the victor, so I guess the fight continues.

Trouble with the Curve, shows why scouts are always needed to help scout out talents, there can see things that your computer can, while the computer runs on statistics and calibration, the eyes and ears rely on fact and observation. Trouble with the Curve is an OK drama, but you have not missed much if you haven't seen it.

www.lagsreviews.com
12 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A wonderful Father-Daughter film for us
HollyMasersky8 October 2012
If you are the daughter of a man that took the time to come to your elementary skit shows...or never missed a little league softball game...or walked around the neighborhood with a flashlight following you at a safe distance during Halloween...or hugged and kissed you every time there was an earthquake...or a thunderstorm...or the electricity went out...then go see this film. Clint Eastwood will bring back memories of your dad too, like he did mine. The movie was very touching, sweet and deep. Not every girl gets to experience having a dad that's present, but if you did, you will thoroughly enjoy this story. I used to watch baseball games with my dad (The Dodgers) and we would talk about the players and the opponents and we enjoyed it. It gave us our special time to be alone, because my mom was bored with baseball...and during that time my dad would talk about everything else during my day...and I didn't realize it until I was in High School. Great movie...thanks for the memories dad.
19 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Uggh
nojunk-892-74313729 July 2013
I like Clint Eastwood and Amy Adams, I love Justin Timberlake and John Goodman. I have a lifelong love of baseball.

This movie was so bad, I only finished watching it to see if it would continue to be as bad as it appeared. the answer is yes, it was.

I am hard pressed to think of a movie that was more formulaic and predictable, really without one interesting scene or plot line. pure trite.

worst of all the baseball depiction was atrocious.

There is a story to be told in the answer to moneyball, and the fact that the game which once didn't use analysis too much has now swing to far the other way and needs more human scouting. But this movie strikes out in every way. horrid, horrid movie.
11 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Family, health and baseball
bkoganbing14 January 2013
Trouble With A Curve casts Clint Eastwood as an aging baseball scout for the Atlanta Braves with both family and health issues. His family is his daughter Amy Adams who is a young attorney whom he hasn't seen in years. His health issues include macular degeneration of his eyes and a scout without good vision is handicapped in his job. My late uncle had that and I know how that eventually impaired him.

Clint's imparted a lot of his baseball knowledge to Adams and Braves GM John Goodman has asked Adams to accompany Eastwood on a scouting trip to the minor leagues before the annual draft to check on a prospect as the Braves have the number one draft pick in the National League. A lot of air is cleared in this trip.

Also Clint renews an another old acquaintance with Justin Timberlake who was a former pitcher that Clint signed back in the day, but who blew his arm out and now he's a scout for the Boston Red Sox who have the number one draft pick in the American League. Adams and Timberlake hit it off, but the road to romance is a rocky one. A washed up ball player and an upwardly mobile yuppie attorney are not a usual mix.

Though the film isn't quite of the level of Million Dollar Baby and Gran Torino, it's still a real treat for Eastwood fans. Like Million Dollar Baby the best scenes are Clint and Amy's just as in the other film his scenes with Hilary Swank his surrogate daughter. Timberlake also proves to be a capable actor.

Although Adams saves Clint's job with a gift of sorts, you know eventually he will have to quit. But like all other Eastwood characters, he's going to do it on his own terms. And she could have a nice career in a baseball front office as women increasingly are making an impact in all areas of the sport except the actual playing field.

Trouble With The Curve if nothing else proves Eastwood is a great judge of material that's still good for him and that takes into account his age. He's one productive 80 something when he's not involved in politics and talking to an empty chair.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Curve" Falters Down the Stretch
vinophilia-124 September 2012
I love baseball, and the thought of Clint Eastwood playing a crusty old baseball scout with Amy Adams as his daughter sounded great to me. "Trouble with the Curve" gets off to a great start -- unshaven Clint eating breakfast out of yesterday's SPAM can, Amy rattling off baseball trivia like it ran in her blood. Unfortunately, after developing these characters with great potential the script gives them nothing to hit with.

Clint plays a character named Gus, an old legendary baseball scout in the Atlanta Braves organization who is having trouble with his eyesight. His wife died when Mickey, his daughter played by Amy Adams, was six, leaving lots of father-daughter issues to resolve on film, as you can imagine. Johnny (Justin Timberlake), a former ballplayer, was scouted by Gus but eventually traded to the Red Sox, who's mismanagement resulted in a torn rotator cuff and a short career. He feels he owes Gus for the chance he got and ends up falling for Mickey (naturally).

Right from the start, fluffy dialogue falls flat over and over again, leaving awkward silences and empty arguments. Amy Adams in particular seems to chafe under the poorly written dialogue. At times Mickey uses casual language with her peers that would never pass in a big city law firm. A romantic scene at a lake between her and Johnny breaks down, making it difficult to believe the romantic energy between them. Even during the critical scenes between Gus and his daughter, the dialogue goes exactly as every viewer expects it to, leaving us slightly self satisfied but not exactly entertained.

There are some lovely scenes, to be sure, and great footage of clogging in a local bar. Clint, Amy and Justin are always fun to watch, and they were entertaining in "Trouble with the Curve", but their warm performances could not compensate for a predictable script with awkward dialogue.

An airplane movie but nothing more.
16 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Heartfelt, true to life and witty portrait of family bonds and good old American baseball. NOT suited for diehard baseball fans though...
imseeg15 October 2019
Beware: NOT suited for diehard baseball fans. Because this is NOT a straight sports movie at all, hence the many negative reviews of sportsfans, expecting a sports movie which it definitely is NOT.

What is it then? It is a great and witty tale about strained family bonds between a roughneck father (Clint Eastwood) and a resentful daughter (Amy Adams), who dont share any interests at all, besides baseball. But baseball only comes second in this story. Baseball is only the background in a story which portrays a father (Eastwood) who constantly snarls at his only daughter and neglects her. While the daughter (Amy Adams) still desperately needs love and attention from her father. And so it goes...

The dialogues about the arguing between father and daughter are true to life, touching and full of wit and undisclosed affection. Although father (Clint Eastwood) and daughter (Amy Adams) can not get along, they still love each other, they simply cant show it. Only baseball brings them together and this movie is about one weekend father and daughter spent together scouting for baseball talents in which many heartfelt, unspoken conflicts from the past come out in the open. Justin Timberlake provides for a budding romance interlude...

This movie has got so much charm, wit and lighthearted drama, that it is undeniably a winner. I've already seen it many times before and every time it touches me and lifts up my spirit. Highly recommended for any fans of either one of these 3 actors, because this movie is definitely a wonderful actor's gem!
Eastwood's Well-Rounded Return To Acting
zkonedog5 March 2017
After starring in the remarkable "Million Dollar Baby" in 2004, then following it up with the gritty "Gran Torino" in 2008, Clint Eastwood announced his "retirement" from acting, instead focusing on on directing/producing films. When the script for "Trouble with the Curve" came along, though, Mr. Eastwood decided that it was too good of a vehicle to pass up. Thus, in his return to leading-man status, the 82-year old thespian proves that his filmmaking (or film-choosing) instincts are as solid as ever.

For a basic plot summary, "Trouble with the Curve" focuses on Gus (Eastwood), an aged baseball scout who relies on his eyes, senses, and gut feelings to scout the top prospects. The trouble is, his eyes are failing and his job is on the line. As such, Gus's friend Pete (John Goodman) is concerned about him and gives a call to Mickey (Amy Adams), Gus's daughter. Predictably, the father-daughter duo do not share a strong relationship with each, and that is tested on a road trip together to scout the newest "can't miss" prospect. Along the way, rival scout Johnny (Justin Timberlake) teaches both parts of the duo a little something about each other and their lives.

When evaluating "Trouble with the Curve", there is one thing that you must do: Absolutely DO NOT try to compare it to "Million Dollar Baby" or "Gran Torino". It's not even so much that it doesn't measure up to those movies (although it doesn't), but rather that it takes a bit of a different tone. It is a bit more light-hearted and not nearly as "life-or-death serious" as those other flicks.

When looked at under its own merits, then, "Curve" is an excellent film that does everything it sets out to do. The plot is interesting enough to keep you invested, the emotion runs high throughout, and the acting is superb. Eastwood is his typical self, while Adams and Timberlake provide the much-needed camaraderie that a movie like this needs from time to time. The characters aren't quite as fleshed-out as a normal Eastwood movie (in this case, there is more "telling" of emotions than "showing", generally speaking), but they are still engaging.

Basically, "Trouble with the Curve" is a conglomeration of a number of different themes (aging, fatherhood, baseball scouting, etc.) that work not in isolation but blended together. All those themes have been done better in other movies, but having them all play off each other still manages to produce a cinematic treat. I hope Eastwood still continues to shine ON the camera as well as BEHIND it, but if this does turn out to be his final acting role, there is no reason to look back with any regret.
Feeling and hearing it
kosmasp22 July 2013
I didn't think Clint Eastwood would star in a movie he doesn't direct anymore. Actually I never thought he'd star in a movie period. Then again Amy Adams and Justin Timberlake are there to support him. And if you look at it closely it's more an Amy Adams vehicle. Still the daughter-father relationship is explored in major detail here. And it works for the movie as well, even if it sometimes feels a little clichéd.

I'm not that familiar with the game as most Americans are, but the theme of technology against human is not uncommon. And it shouldn't surprise when you have Clint in the movie either. There is drama and there is comedy, but everything is carried by the three mentioned performances. They are believable and if you can dig the story, you will like the movie too
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A pleasant movie with great actors
BeneCumb15 December 2012
I am not into sports, really, and I am very picky in seeing sports- related movies; as for baseball, I neither comprehend the rules nor find the game attractive. But I have had my exceptions due to actors I like - recently Moneyball (because of Brad Pitt) and now Trouble with the Curve - because of Clint Eastwood.

And again, I was not disappointed - the over 80-years-old man shows no signs of weariness, although he has been on top since 1960ies. All his co-actors are great as well: Amy Adams, John Goodman, even Justin Timberlake, whose songs are uninviting to me... And the plot is pleasant to watch, sports terms and nuances are explained, and the storyline has its twists in spite of several guesses and predictions. And there is no moralizing reasoning on important, at times painful issues - viewers are smoothly "filled" with the points and ideas the makers find important.

Well, the director and producer Robert Lorentz is no novice, being first and famous for his collaboration with Eastwood. And the result is another nice movie worth watching - even for no-sportsmen like me.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Much better than baseball fans would lead you to believe...
duke-19723 September 2012
This movie isn't about baseball any more than Star Trek is about how to operate a space ship. Baseball is merely the background, like music is in the back ground.

As in Eastwood's other most successful recent movies this is a story about relationships, the meaning of life and the bitter sweet of partial redemption.

So if you enjoyed "Million Dollar Baby", "The Unforgiven" and "Grand Torino" you will enjoy this movie just as much. The one dramatic element that isn't in this movie, that was in those others, is due to the script and not some failing by the director.

This was a great first time effort by Lorenzo. Clint Eastwood has some really, really touching scenes when he's not in his grumpy old man mode. Unfortunately, since people still associate him with action he probably will not get the recognition for that acting, or Lorenzo for directing those scenes.
8 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
eastwood has lost it
obediahsilt24 September 2012
You know a movie is in trouble when they cast Justin Timberlake in a lead role. Justin "big chin" Timberlake!.

This is a bittersweet baseball movie with a good performance by Amy Adams and Matthew Lillard plus a workmanlike performance by Eastwood.

Obviously hoping to ape the success of Million Dollar Baby. Unfortunately the script is so utterly predictable and clichéd. You know how each one of the one-dimensional characters will turn out, what the complications will be and how they'll end up resolved. There are no surprises. Its a movie to have on in the background or to doze off to, so wait for it on TV.

the movie deserves more than a 1 but I'm rating it lower to counter all the fake glowing reviews. The cinema was nearly empty when I saw it but maybe all those empty chairs were audience members that only Eastwood could see
17 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not Eastwood's best, but nod bad
Treyroo24 November 2012
Your one surviving parent is slowly losing his sight. You have a very difficult relationship and, at the same time, are coming to a turning point in your own career. What do you do tend to, your career or your family?

Gus Lobel (played by Clint Eastwood) is a scout for the Atlanta Braves and has resisted the change occurring in his business and the world around him with every fiber of his being. While his immediate superior and longtime friend Pete (played by John Goodman) values Gus's opinion and defends him against his detractors, one of them is Pete's boss and Gus's ultimate superior. That man, Pete Silver (played by Matthew Lillard) is determined to fire Gus even though he is completely unaware of Gus's failing eyesight. To Silver, a man who relies on statistics and equations over experience and first-hand observation, Gus is a relic of a time gone by. Gus is given one chance, scouting a highly-coveted player in North Carolina, to prove his value to the organization. Pete worries about his friend and so, behind his back, he contacts Gus's daughter Mickey (played by Amy Adams). Mickey is a lawyer on a partnership track in a prestigious firm with a pressing case on the horizon. She's been told that her handling of this case will determine the outcome of the upcoming partnership vote. Still, despite a strained relationship between the two of them, she chooses to go to her father's aide in rural North Carolina and work in her hotel room and over the internet. When Gus informs Mickey that his eyes are starting to fail him, she begins taking an active role in her father's scouting trip. A task she is well-suited for, after a spending a large portion of her formative years by her father's side on scouting trips. In addition to colleagues Gus has known for many years, there is Johnny Flanagan, a relatively inexperienced scout who Gus recruited into the major leagues and who later suffered a career-ending injury. Johnny (played by Justin Timberlake) thinks of Gus as a mentor and, separately, takes an immediate romantic interest in Mickey.

Now, many believed that 2008's Gran Torino would be the end of Eastwood's career, both as a director and an actor. Some who thought little of the film even took great joy in the very idea of Eastwood's retirement. I was not among them. I won't say this is better than Gran Torino or Million Dollar Baby, it isn't. Still, it's an enjoyable film about the endurance of family that also manages to incorporate some timeless wisdom regarding the quintessential American sport. The budding relationship between Mickey and Johnny isn't given as much time, though that's probably for the best.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
They Don't Know Baseball
ksaw8821 September 2012
They lost me as soon as they said, "we can work out a draft-and-trade deal." You can't do that in baseball. It's so basic. Not to mention that no player in the history of baseball has been drafted in the early rounds without at least 3 scouts viewing him. In today's game, the GM would also watch plenty of video. Further, no top 5 pick can be make or break for any scout. There is so much info on kids that highly regarded that 1,000 mock drafts from geeks on the Internet would have 4 of the same top 5 names and most in order. On top of that, a 17-year old wouldn't make it to the Majors for 5+ years. The aging scout (Eastwood) would be retired, if not dead prior to the Braves knowing if he panned out. All so silly on the baseball side of it all.
17 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.