Chaos Walking (2021) Poster

(2021)

Good but not great, but still worth a watch :)
DevinKJohnston5 March 2021
*spoiler free* look, if you want to watch a film and be immersed in it's world, this is it. They're some things that could of been done better/explored more in this movie, but for the most part, it is a good movie! The cinematography, setting, acting was great!! (not a massive fan of Daisey Ridley or Tom Holland, but they did a great job!) I went in with low expectations and I came out thinking wow, that was a breath of fresh air and I'd recommend it!! Certainly needs more appreciation and less hate!!!

Thank you for reading, stay safe everyone :)
332 out of 445 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyable
Kleighh4 March 2021
I mean it wasn't great, but it doesn't deserve all the hate. It was an interesting premise that could have been executed better, but it was a good 2-hours distraction from everything that's going on in the world.
247 out of 331 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Filming schedule shows the eventual trouble
Argyll127 March 2021
This was filmed in 2017. Audience responses were so bad they decided to reshoot major parts of it in 2019. Now they are releasing it in 2021.

This kind of schedule gives an indication it didn't go well.
165 out of 226 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dull and dumb
rainfollower-95-64632430 March 2021
This a very boring, straightforward story set in a strange, pointless and incoherent world. It will leave a lot of unanswered questions in the end unless you read all the books beforehand. What's worse, all these special properties of the world are pointless in terms of world and character development. All you see is just another Wild West with a bit of funny Noise effects and some (very little!) alien fauna, and all this never impacts the story in any meaningful way.

Tom Holland and Mads Mikkelsen are good, as expected. Even Daisy Ridley is more or less okay. Their characters are not. You can understand what drives the young Todd, he's the most developed one, still, there's a lot to reveal in his background, in his past, in his relations with the other settlers of his town. Others are worse than that. Most of them talk riddles all the time, just like in a teenager's fan fiction, and the Noise never helps there.

Another problem is the lack of reason, the lack of sense. There's just a lot of tiny little details that clearly make no sense, both in character's judgement, in their actions and in the world itself.

Overall. This is bad as a tale. This is bad science fiction. And this is also bad in terms of storytelling. What I liked: the new fresh world, and the beautiful visuals. But... that's all.

PS: No really, I've been looking at my wrist watch roughly at the middle, trying to recall how long the movie should be overall. If I had been alone, I would have probably walked out of the cinema then.
145 out of 205 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Chaos Limping
ryansalamence4 March 2021
$125 million, dozens of rewrites and reshoots, tons of star power, and it hits the ground like wet cheese.
305 out of 464 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Decent sci-fi movie
johncy6 March 2021
I don't understand the bad reviews, but maybe it's because I didn't read the books. Or maybe it's because this is the first movie I've seen in theaters since the pandemic began! Holland, Ridley and Mikkelsen all do a good job in their roles and the story kept me interested until the credits.
175 out of 281 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Makes the dark tower looks like a masterpiece.
Stevensson4 March 2021
On paper it looks good , Doug Liman who made great movies ( The edge of Tomorrow , The bourne Identity ) and a talented cast ( Mads Mikkelsen - Daisy Ridley and Tom Holland ) but what could wrong ???

Well , the script is messy ; the acting is bland ; The characters are one-dimensional and their motivations are not explained ; and the editing is one of the worst things i have ever seen , and how this film cost over 100M$ ????? we will never know .

All in All ; if you wanna a good sci-fi movie steer clear of this , and if you wanna see Tom Holland saying his name over and over agaiiiiiiin be my guest .
223 out of 370 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Give the actors and the audience a break.
ftonks4 March 2021
One of the messiest movies I've seen in a long time. I'm a fan of the books and if you are too then don't even bother watching this dumpster fire. I saw an early screener and I could barely take this movie seriously. The villains goals are devoid of all logic, the humour is awful and dry, none of the events are really tied together, it feels like a bunch of scene strung together in a hope to come up with an actual plot. Daisy Ridley is fine, Tom Holland is fine, Mads Mikkelson as always is flawless but it would be good if they actually made his character have logical motivations or if they fleshed him out. These actors don't deserve this, Daisy was screwed over big time with the sequel trilogy and now this, I hope this isn't the end of her career. As for Tom, he needs a better agent. Cherry was a self indulgent disappointment, but not as bad as this. Do not watch this movie, it'll be a waste of time and money (if you're gonna buy or rent it) ESPECIALLY if you're a fan of the books. This movie massacres the books story and characters. Obviously Tom Holland stans or tasteless moviegoers will spam 10/10s which is almost more of a shame than the fact that they butchered the script so much.
189 out of 323 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Chaos is pretty accurate.
Badsharkmoviefan_1185 March 2021
I dont even know where to start this whole film is a chaotic mess. The walking part of the title is also pretty accurate. The 2 main characters are pretty much walking thru the woods the whole movie.

The visible thoughts flying around just get annoying. This doesn't feel like $125m movie it feels more like a $25m one. It's just pointless, DONT BOTHER WASTING YOUR MONEY.
108 out of 182 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
alright
paradiddle1610 March 2021
The movie is not good nor bad. Feels to me like this could have developed into more than one movie but they crammed everything into one. Plenty of things left unexplained (from plot to characters).
60 out of 98 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mind boggling stupid
jonasatmosfera9 March 2021
If chaos walking is science fiction, then science fiction is dead, buried, six feet deep in a lead lined casket inside a unbreakable concrete vault, where it will rot until kingdom come...

How do people get these convoluted, contrived, absurd, dumb ideas? OK, get the idea that everything must have a (heavy) dose of social commentary and political correctness, but not even those things can save this celluloid Titanic.

It seems that Dystopian book authors compete to come up with the most unhinged, bizarre, unfeasible worlds and in the end they come-up with half-baked ideas.

This is your typical Hollywood box-office bomb.
122 out of 224 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
msbreviews3 March 2021
If you enjoy reading my Spoiler-Free reviews, please follow my blog :)

After decades of experiencing so many films and understanding the respective industry, I rarely get extremely excited for an original sci-fi movie starring famous actors. I wouldn't be surprised if Chaos Walking is the most anticipated film of the month for thousands of viewers, which isn't an easy decision having in mind March is releasing tons of highly expected movies, such as Raya and the Last Dragon, Cherry, Zack Snyder's Justice League, Godzilla x Kong, amongst others. It' almost impossible not to feel remotely interested in watching a film with such a phenomenal cast - Tom Holland (Spider-Man, The Devil All the Time), Daisy Ridley (Star Wars, Murder on the Orient Express), Mads Mikkelsen (Doctor Strange, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story), Demián Bichir (Land, The Grudge), Cynthia Erivo (Widows, Bad Times at the El Royale), and more.

Add Doug Liman (The Bourne franchise, The Edge of Tomorrow) as the director and screenwriters with tremendously successful credits as Patrick Ness (A Monster Calls) and Christopher Ford (Spider-Man: Homecoming), what could go wrong? Well... almost everything. I possess no knowledge of the source material, but from what I could gather, the book trilogy of the same name was very well-received, which I don't doubt for a second. If there's one thing no one can take away from Chaos Walking is its incredibly captivating concepts and imaginative visual ideas. From the premise of people being able to hear men's thoughts (noise) to the actual visuals of said brain activity, I felt deeply invested during the first act.

The futuristic setting is somewhat familiar, but the production/set design definitely set an engaging atmosphere. The score (Marco Beltrami, Brandon Roberts) also features interesting tracks that create a sense of wonder in this new world. Unfortunately, this is as far as I can go compliment-wise. Sure, the cast offers remarkable performances, especially Holland and Ridley, who obviously share most of the screentime as the underdeveloped protagonists, but sadly this is one of those movies where it's hard not to find a significant flaw with everything. The lack of proper characterization is one of the main issues. While Holland's character misses a regular arc - he has no evolution whatsoever, ending the film with the exact same defects as in the beginning - Ridley's character raises dozens of questions that remain unanswered about herself, her past, her abilities, and her origins.

The new world presented to the viewers packs hundreds of unquestionably innovative and exciting ideas, but none reaches even a fraction of its potential. The "superpower" of hearing thoughts is rarely seen in a different manner other than chaotic, annoying noise, which is hugely disappointing, having in mind the scarce showings of its real power. Nevertheless, the most frustrating component of the narrative is the introduction of massively important story elements that are completely forgotten by the end of the movie, namely - without getting into spoilers - an entire native population that remains as one of the most fascinating aspects of the screenplay that wasn't remotely explained.

Nowadays, people have more knowledge and understanding of how much studios impact the production of any film. Honestly, I don't know if this is one of those projects ruined by awfully dumb corporate demands or if Doug Liman and his team of writers screwed the pooch. One thing is for sure: director, screenwriters, and/or producers, they're the people to blame for such a frustratingly terrible adaptation. I apologize to Doc Crotzer, but this is one of the worst editing jobs I've seen in years, though I want it to be clear: Crotzer is far from being the sole or main culprit of such a horribly put-together movie. The camera work is also all-over-the-place (Ben Seresin).

Finally, I don't know if this following story detail is as explicit and barely explained in the source material as it is in this film, but due to the lack of any decent explanation besides "because", I strongly dislike the whole "everyone can hear men's thoughts, but no one can hear the women's". To be clear, my issue isn't related to the idea but to its evolution in this movie. Men, especially Holland's character, are shown to think like a primate with sexual thoughts concerning women and offenses to everyone and everything. Men's thoughts represent them as utter pigs. However, the whole "women's thoughts are hidden from everyone" can easily be interpreted as "women don't have brains", especially considering the film's failed attempt at elaborating this concept.

Chaos Walking will end up as one of the most disappointing, frustrating movies of the year. In addition to this, it's also another entry in the list of "films with innovative, interesting concepts that fail to reach half of their potential". Besides the engaging production design, a cool score, and decent performances, any viewer will struggle not to find a massive flaw in every single aspect of the narrative. From the dozens of unanswered questions regarding Daisy Ridley's character to the lack of a proper arc for Tom Holland's role, the underdeveloped protagonists are just one of many screenplay issues. Critical plot points and story elements either miss an explanation or are entirely forgotten by the end of a horrendously edited movie. Transitions between cuts are very choppy and make zero connection between storylines. The whole "men's thoughts are seen by everyone, but women's thoughts are not" is depicted in a way that leaves men portrayed as pigs and insinuates women have no brains. I genuinely don't know if this massive disaster is due to studio interference and/or to the director and screenwriters team-up, but one thing is for certain: personally, it's one of the worst films of the year.

Rating: D+
123 out of 227 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst movie I've seen in a long time
sideshow767 March 2021
Worst show I've seen in a long time. Had high hope based on the actors and intriguing concept, but unfortunately very disappointed. Production quality is terrible. It looked like Doug Liman got some friends together in the woods with his handicam. The green screen for the motorcycle chase scene was so poorly done I could have probably done better with a laptop in my living room. Doug Liman is so hit and miss, his movies are either brilliant (Edge of Tomorrow, Mr & Mrs Smith, Bourne Identity) or pure garbage (everything else). And, as with most movies these days the director couldn't help but fill the movie with the woke themes of his personal politics. How much money do these studios have to lose before they'll concede that Americans just want to be entertained, not condescendingly lectured to. Don't waste your time or your money on this... stay home and watch The Expanse instead.
136 out of 253 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
We've reached a new low.
MrSelfPaid9 April 2021
This movie serves one purpose: to prove that 90 percent of the human population have below average IQ.

Filmmakers ain't trying anymore to make coherent movies because they think most of the audience are dumb.

Seeing the rating on this site gives me a bit of hope.

All is not lost.
37 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
total flop
jinxechomagik1 April 2021
So nice to see we can colonize space and other planets but still cant evolve enuff to get rid of dumb redneck religious nut jobs.overall a boring movie no wonder it took so long to come out.hollywood yet again screws up a book with a bad adaptation.
87 out of 163 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Walked out it was so bad
scalzittirosy26 March 2021
The thought voices added to the chaos. This movie was terrible. Walked out an hour into it.
64 out of 117 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The plot is terrible
edgy-rhinx24 May 2021
The film is weak and predictable. The people are devised by gender. Men are bad, women are innocent.

The concept is not new, and does not stand any critic.

Actors carry the garbage plot on their shoulders by decent performance and make the movie watchable. Come with low expectations.
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Empty Vessels Make the Most Noise
Cineanalyst2 June 2021
Another fortune wasted on young adult fiction--an utterly formulaic and vacuous genre. This one, "Chaos Walking," has the laughable gimmick of displaying thought bubbles for half its characters. Well, more than half given that the Western-knockoff town had all its Sphinx-like females murdered--leaving it with only its lucid males. See, men's thoughts are seen and heard, which they call "noise," and women's thoughts aren't, because... who knows; it's stupid. It feels like I was suckered into seeing the non-comedic version of "What Men Want" (2019), the gender-reversal remake of "What Women Want" (2000). It's laughable because there isn't a demonstrably intelligent thought throughout the entire pitiful excuse of a movie. It's a standard and superficial quest narrative, and the twenty-something leads are written as adolescents. One might think some clever film-within-film reflexivity could be made of character thoughts and dreams being projected visually, but it's exploited inside the narrative the same way as without: as a trick or, worse, a plot device.

As in most of these juvenile dystopian romances, the boy and girl are from different worlds in one sense or another, which in this sci-fi, planet-hoping version is quite literally the case. In other versions, it tends to be cross-class ones from obvious caste systems, or they may be different species, or one's a robot and the other is human, or some other goofy Romeo-and-Juliet type rip-off of kiddies rebelling against their elders. Again, as usual, the girl is consequently initially unsure whether the boy is out to harm or help her. Gee, where have we seen that before except for in The Hunger Games series, the Twilight series, the Divergent series, probably the Maze Runner one, too, which I haven't seen, but I assume so... "Warm Bodies" (2013), "The 5th Wave" (2016), "Alita: Battle Angel" (2019), etc.

Unfortunately, this childish slop is in vogue these days and so attracts some big-name actors hoping for a franchise. This one has the kid from Star Wars and the other kid from Spiderman, and the likes of Mads Mikkelsen (recently of "Another Round" (2020)), Cynthia Erivo ("Harriet" (2019)) and David Oyelowo (going from playing MLK in "Selma" (2014) to this god-awful garbage) are entirely wasted. Fortunately, the production was so tortuous and it was such a box-office bomb upon release that it likely won't waste any more of anyone's time.

What's also amusing is that Charlie Kaufman wrote a draft for this, but left production early in the process only to go onto make a cleverly mature movie, "I'm Thinking of Ending Things" (2020), where characters' thoughts are also heard and seen. Not in a stupid synesthesia manner as in this one, though, but in a cinematically and novelistically reflexive and thoughtful manner. "Chaos Walking," on the other hand, is only worth watching if you're curious what it looks like when $100 million is spent on brain farts.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not the worst movie I've seen in the last week...
duanelmclean29 May 2021
...but it's pretty bad. I rented this movie because my kids love Tom Holland. 10 minutes into the movie and my 16 and 12 year olds are playing video games on their phones and making comments like..."huh, why did they do that" and "this is dumb"

Another spot on review by the target audience. The movie is a no go and had I paid theater prices for this, i'd be upset about it. The only reason I gave it 2 stars is because I just saw a worse movie last week. This one was slightly enjoyable compared to Liam Neeson in The Marksman.

3 words...Don't Do It.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's fair but only just.
thatsgottahurt-110 March 2021
The premise is ok. Mads, Tom and Demian are all good, despite only getting glimpses of the latter. The whole things comes together alright but it's just not well done enough to warrant a higher score. Daisy Ridley puts in another mannequin like performance, and she is carried like luggage by Tom for most of the film. She just doesn't have "it". Honesty, I've seen CGI characters with more range. It's ok but that's about all.
59 out of 112 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Steaming pile of very smelly garbage
gareth-754426 April 2021
Oh dear, so this is intended for "young adults", the question is, what is a young adult & by definition are they all simple morons? Well, The age range of a young adult is 18 to 35, I find it hard to believe anyone in that age range would find this movie or its novel anything more than utterly silly.

This movie by definition is moronic, the story could actually be quite good if it was thought out more thoroughly rather than it just being cliché after cliché to facilitate a very bland, very silly & very boring story of "man bad, woman good".

The entertainment value is reduced to non existent due to the ridiculous plot, poorly constructed scenes, awful dialogue & stupid use of the "psychic noise", absolute codswallop.

I have not read the book & given that the author also wrote the screenplay for this movie then I gladly never will.

Far too many holes in the story & the stereotypical silly characters make this a difficult & tiresome watch.
38 out of 69 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad Indy-like concept movie that had big blockbuster potential
soccerball-487285 March 2021
This movie did not flow, make sense or engage me. With Daisy and Tom, and Doug Liman directing I was expecting something similar to Jumanji. Unfortunately this one missed the mark
63 out of 122 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just another political trash
ASBKnight3 April 2021
This could've been good if not for the constant political trash that keeps getting pushed.

Imagine this movie with the plot being different: Women had noise, men not. And all the stupid thoughts they also have. Image the outrage.

Stupid double-standard hypocrisy.

Waste of talent in this movie.
31 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very enjoyable
nalthumairi11 March 2021
I didn't read the books but i had low expectations because of the rating and it surprised me in the best way! I enjoyed it alot, the idea is unique and very interesting, script is well written, cast is great, the story is exceptional. I cant understand why the rating is so low! Cant wait for the sequel!
70 out of 141 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Story makes no sense
jerry-3259030 May 2021
Interstellar traveling humans were landing on a planet with a pod like Apollo in 1960's and 1070's, instead of a shuttle. Even their mothership could land on the planet. The pod just malfunctioned and crashed for no reason. No explanation on why male thoughts can be seen or heard, and not females. Really dumb story.
12 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.