Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) Poster

1,519 Reviews
Worth seeing...but #37?
MartinHafer11 August 2014
Currently, about a week after its debut, "Guardians of the Galaxy" is ranked #37 on IMDb. I assume that by the time you read my review it will have dropped in the rankings--mostly because the most rabid fans were probably the first to see and review it and the rest of us folks will be getting to it a bit later. This is often the case with big blockbuster films--though with an overall score of about 8.7, it's bound to stay well within IMDb's top 250. As for me, I really enjoyed the movie but cannot agree that the film is THAT good. Excellent yes....#37...nah.

The best thing going for "Guardians" is that with the huge glut of super-hero films during the last decade or so, this one manages to stand apart--something that cannot be said of most of the films. There is just a certain sameness that make me less than thrilled with all the comic book hero films. But a few, like this film and "Scott Pilgrim" manage to seem different enough to merit your rushing to see them. So, of course, rush to see this one

So how is it different? Well, there are MANY ways. Chris Pratt (Peter Quill) is NOT your typical super-hero. He is NOT a disaffected millionaire or guy bitten by a spider or a super-being from outer space- -he's actually pretty ordinary in most ways. But, like his character on "Parks and Recreation", Pratt is a bit of a goof-ball--a dopey but likable guy who manages to do well despite himself. This is kind of cute--but fortunately the film is NOT just about a dopey goof-ball but he's assisted by a strange group of new-found friends with strange abilities. Another way this is VERY different is that almost the entire film takes place in outer space. While "Thor" and "Superman" have their brief moments in space, "Guardians" is almost completely there--and as such has a HUGE reliance on special effects and CGI. It is a SUPER- expensive film because of this and its all-star cast--coming in at about $170,000,000--which is greater than the gross national product of many nations!!! So, although the film has earned over $100,000,000. it has a long way to go to earn back its costs--though I am pretty sure this will soon be the case. As for these special effects, they are beautiful and the film has such an other-worldly look as it jumps from one weird planet to another. So, the film is absolutely jam-packed with eye candy. Finally, the dialog (mostly from Pratt but also due a lot to his new friend, a VERY sentient raccoon) is amazingly strange. Often crude, it sounds much like the dialog was spiced up a bit here and there by 13 year-olds. While I usually don't like this, it DOES make the film very different.

So what's not to like? Well, not much. However, because the story has so much action and CGI, you do sacrifice a bit when it comes to plot, back story of many of the characters and you might just feel a bit overwhelmed. Still, it's the sort of overwhelmed I don't mind feeling from time to time.

By the way, if you do see the film, you'll certainly enjoy the obligatory Stan Lee cameo--it's one of the better ones I can recall.
17 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lots of fun and excitement in this galaxy
TheLittleSongbird10 June 2016
Is 'Guardians of the Galaxy' as amazing as the IMDb rating (which this reviewer learned long ago is not something that should be taken to heart) and ecstatic reviews suggest? To me, not quite. Is 'Guardians of the Galaxy' well made and entertaining? Absolutely.

'Guardians of the Galaxy' boasts spectacular special effects, gorgeously psychedelic colours, slick-yet-with-enough-visual-depth cinematography (nothing cartoonish or plastic here) and very colourful and atmospheric sets that more than effectively makes one think they are immersed in this galaxy. Costumes and make-up are also of very good quality. The 70s soundtrack and score is rousing and touchingly nostalgic. The action is beautifully edited, choreographed with lots of entertainment value and thrills and is at best exhilarating, there's plenty of it without feeling too much.

James Gunn directs with style and a sure hand, always seeming as if he knew what tone he was going for and who he was aiming at ('Guardians of the Galaxy' is far and above anything else he's done and his best overall direction is here as well. Personally really enjoyed the way that 'Guardians of the Galaxy' was written too, the jokes are enormously entertaining and the film also has heart with a genuinely emotional opening.

The story is non-stop energy and compelling, with a nice balance of comedy, drama and section. It is not perfect, and is one of the film's weaker points, with a been-there-done-that feel, a couple of overly-sentimental moments and a couple of randomly placed moments that were not needed at all and just took away from the flow and tone of the scene (Chris Pratt's dance).

The characters are on the most part incredibly colourful and engaging, with a great chemistry throughout. Peter is a likable lead character and Groot is quite adorable and amusing, but Rocket the Racoon doesn't just threaten to steal the show, to me Rocket actually does steal the show. The one exception really is the very bland and barely developed villain Ronan.

Chris Pratt is highly charismatic, Zoe Saldana is suitably fiery, Karen Gillan is imposingly formidable, Dave Bautista induces lots of laughs and charm while showing a very intensely played vengeful side (though that was a little too hastily introduced) and a surprisingly well-cast Vin Diesel does a great job as Groot. Bradley Cooper stands out, being a sheer delight as Rocky. Lee Pace tries but struggles to bring any menace or dimension to Ronan, can't say I blame him as anybody given the role if written in the way it was here would have struggled to bring believability to it.

All in all, not perfect and not quite as great as all that but exciting, well-made and lots of fun, really enjoyed it. 8/10 Bethany Cox
4 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A light and breezy outer space romp
Leofwine_draca18 May 2017
GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY is a fun and light-hearted superhero romp from Marvel. The setting is outer space and the film is a sensory overload at first, featuring an unknown cast of colourful alien beings interacting in a standard storyline involving the possession of a magical, world-destroying device. The first thing you notice is the quality of the CGI effects, which as in the recent DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES, are quite remarkable and photo-realistic for the main part.

The hero of the piece is Chris Pratt, nowadays hot property but an actor I can take or leave. He does his usual cocky routine, but the supporting cast are much more interesting: Zoe Saldana takes a similar role to her one in AVATAR but has a lot more fun, while Dave Bautista is hilarious and even Bradley Cooper's raccoon character is lovable. Groot isn't quite on the same level as Treebeard but is still amusing, and you have to love others like Michael Rooker's larger-than-life space pirate. The plot is derivative and predictable, and the spaceship action scenes are still copying STAR WARS some thirty-plus years later, but the camaraderie is good-natured and, more importantly, funny. The result is a light and breezy movie that never loses momentum, and leaves you happily looking forward to the sequel.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
a galaxy full of fun
SnoopyStyle30 June 2015
On Earth 1988, Peter Quill loses his mother and is taken by a spaceship. Twenty Six years later, Peter (Chris Pratt) is caught trying to steal an orb but he manages to escape Korath. The Krees have signed a peace treaty with Nova Prime which is opposed by Ronan the Accuser (Lee Pace). Ronan needs the orb to satisfy Thanos who promises to destroy Xandar. Gamora (Zoe Saldana) goes to track down Peter and the orb. Also trying to capture Peter are Rocket and Groot. All four are imprisoned in the Kyln. They escape with the overly literal Drax who has a vendetta against Ronan.

This is a rip-roaring fun space opera. Chris Pratt is at the top of his game. This is a bright, wild, crazy ride. There is a lot of Marvel lore to go through for the uninitiated. That's probably my main concern about this movie. The 70s soundtrack is a terrific touch and the humor is infectious.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Nice Surprise for a Non-Comic Book Guy
Hitchcoc19 August 2015
Every time I watch one of these films, I am immediately at a disadvantage because I don't know the mythology behind them. It didn't matter here because while progressing the story, we were filled in well by commentary from the characters. Chris Pratt is a funny guy with his endless sincerity and optimism. What works here, and what others have said, is the humor is offhand enough, but funny enough, to not interfere with the mission. The good guys (as well as the sort-of good guys) have a nice chemistry. Some are clueless and some are simply very clever. I remember seeing the ads for this a year or so ago and the raccoon put me off in the ads. As it turns out, he was a dynamic, sympathetic character who is himself a victim of circumstances. He ever gets called a hamster at one point. Anyway, I just wanted to weigh in on a very entertaining film. I'm sure the sequel will continue the fun.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very watchable, occasionally very entertaining
Horst_In_Translation7 February 2016
"Guardians of the Galaxy" is a successful American movie from 2 years ago and successful is actually quite an understatement. The film made the IMDb top250, got lots of love from audiences and critics, finished no°3 of the year in terms of box office and was nominated for two Academy Awards. The cast includes a handful pretty famous names, but it was especially a breakthrough for Chris Pratt, who was probably only known to fans of "Parks & Recreation" before. The story is a bit similar to "Despicable Me" as we have a criminal here as well who changes sides. Actually, it is not just one criminal, but a whole bunch. Writer and director James Gunn made very smart decisions here by how he chose to make the bad guys look likable. The raccoon and the tree are just cool, but Bautista's character for example only really became evil because of what happened to his family.

Speaking of James Gunn, he is known to be a director who had quite a few flops during his career, in terms of box office, but also in terms of critical reception, so it was quite surprising how well he did with this film here, certainly well enough that there will be a sequel, probably more than one unless this sequel really bombs, which is almost impossible I think. I myself enjoyed the movie too. Its biggest strength are definitely the characters who are all so memorable and unique that it is a delight to watch them. The only one I do not count among these is probably Ronan, who seemed a bit one-dimensional to me as the main villain, but even he wasn't bad, just not as notable as the other characters I guess. I am not a great fan of Vin Diesel or Bradley Cooper I must admit, but their characters are simply amazing in this film.

I am probably a bit biased because I almost always enjoy superhero films, but this one was certainly worth the watch. One thing I liked about it is that it never gets lost in boastful action sequences as many of these genre films do, but this basically only has an extended scene of explosions etc. near the end and that is very much acceptable. The rest of the film focuses a lot more on character development and creating a smart story. And this was very much needed with so many characters. This is far from a one man show à la "Iron Man". Every (anti-)hero gets his fair share of screen time. I recommend "Guardians of the Galaxy" and I will probably also watch the sequel once it comes out. Also nice that they did not try hard to push this film towards the 150-minute mark. It works very well at approximately 2 hours. Thumbs up, go check it out.
3 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Escape
Prismark1025 April 2015
With Guardians of the Galaxy, Marvel has gone to the C list of their comic book heroes. Otherwise who the hell are these people unless you truly are a comic book geek.

In 1988 a young Peter Quill soon after his mother's death is abducted from Earth by some space pirates. 26 years later Quill is now also known as Star Lord and also a space pirate steals a powerful orb and forms an uneasy alliance with a group of extraterrestrial misfits who are being pursued by Ronan the Accuser.

I watched this film twice, the first time I was underwhelmed with it but the kids liked it who were keen to watch it on the big screen. On my second viewing I appreciated the film more. Its an entertaining and anarchic B movie, fast and frenetic but it also felt messy and incoherent and also tricky to get into.

Having watched the other Marvel characters where you are introduced into the world of Thor or Iron Man or Captain America here you sometimes feel that you have ended up in someone's party uninvited and no amount of 1970s music will make you feel at home. Its difficult to work out the motivation between some of the characters and the antagonism such as Quill and Yondu.

The film takes it cue from some post modern Star Wars mixed with Indiana Jones in space. The CGI characters Groot and Rocket just about work in the film. I still not sure whether its Bradley Cooper voicing it as he sounds so different because he plays him as a more lovable Joe Pesci gangster type.

However a bunch of misfits who argue and mistrust each other before putting away their differences and uniting to fight a common foe was played out in The Avengers film.
2 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the Best Sci-Fi of this Year
claudio_carvalho16 November 2014
In 1988, on Earth, the boy Peter Quill is abducted by a spacecraft after losing his mother. In 2014, Peter Quill (Chris Pratt), a.k.a. Star Lord, is a ravager searching a valuable orb on the surface of the dead planet Morag. When Peter finds the orb, he is hunted down by the Kree warship The Dark Aster of the powerful Ronan the Accuser (Lee Pace) but he flees. Peter also double crosses his partner Yondu Udonta (Michael Rooker) that puts a reward on him.

Peter Quill arrives on the Xandar city Nova Empire and is chased by Ronan's warrior Gamora (Zoe Saldana) and by the bounty hunters Rocket and The Groot. They are arrested by the police officer Corpsman Dey (John C. Reilly) and his men and sent to the prison The Kyln, where they befriend the strong Drax (Dave Bautista). Soon they learn that Gamora wants to betray Ronan and sell the orb to a dealer for a huge amount while Drax wants to kill Ronan, who killed his wife and daughter. They plot a plan to escape from The Kyln to sell the orb and split the money. But soon they also learn that the orb keeps the infinity stone that gives immensurable destructive power to the owner. They self-proclaim Guardians of the Galaxy and decide to deliver the orb to the leader Nova Prime (Glenn Close) to keep it safe from Ronan. But they are hunted down by Ronan and his right-arm Nebula (Karen Gillan) that want to destroy Xandar and also by Yondu Udonta and the Ravagers that want to sell the infinity stone to make lots of money. Who will keep the powerful orb?

"Guardians of the Galaxy" is certainly one of the best sci-fi of this year. The story is a rip-off Star Wars but full of action and very funny, in a perfect combination of action and comedy. The characters are charismatic and the cast has great names – the only remark is the name of Vin Diesel highlighted in the credits that lure the audience since his character has limited lines ("I am Groot"; "We Are Groot" once and a couple of grumbles. The special effects are top-notch and the music score with songs from the 80's is remarkable. My vote is eight.

Title (Brazil): "Guardiões da Galáxia" ("Guardians of the Galaxy")
17 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Generally funny and entertaining, helping it get over the occasional more serious hump
bob the moo15 November 2014
A lot of articles have been written about just how many comic-book hero movies there are in the market and planned for the coming years; they talk about viewer fatigue and market saturation and other such terms. They perhaps have a point but it is hard to really pay it much mind when the genre produces films which are fun and entertaining. With its massive success and the fact that it comes with association to already successful franchises, Guardians of the Galaxy perhaps looks like an easy film, but I do wonder how much people were taking a risk when they greenlit a sci-fi film based on an pretty much unknown comic book series, with a lot of things that could potentially have been really silly; seeing Howard the Duck in here is also a reminder of how something that is quite cool in theory can fail to connect to the audience.

What makes it work though is that it is really light fun, easy to get lost in because you are laughing or smiling for the majority of it. It is at its best when the main characters are allowed to do their thing, with the best laughs coming from the banter between them (who would have thought that wrestler Bautista would have such great comic timing). The silliness is kept at bay by how tightly funny it is; it is sharp, daft, cool and engaging. The actors do well, with Pratt being charming fun, Saldana being more than just a figure, Cooper having a lot of presence with his voice, Bautista getting lots of laughs with his straight delivery, while Vin Diesel (who must have wondering if they were making fun of him with this casting) produces one of the most lovable characters with only a few lines of dialogue.

While the cast have good timing, it should also be said that the film does too – for example cutting away briefly during an action sequence for one line to get a good laugh. The film unfortunately is not quite as strong when it has more serious or narrative driven moments. The opening of the film is a good example of this, but it is just as relevant during more intense moments or serious 'franchise' moments, because it still needs to be a film. The mix just about works, and the laughs, fun and cool silliness carry it across moments where it has none of this.

It is not a work of art, and it is not as remarkable or brilliant as some would have you believe, but it is still very entertaining. In a genre filled with action-packed but overly serious films, or films that are just silly in a bad way, it is quite refreshing to be able to watch such a film, laugh all the way through it and come out having enjoyed it a lot for how well it balances, judges and delivers the humor consistently.
10 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
JUST LIKE KEVIN BACON
nogodnomasters18 November 2018
This film is aimed at the teen/preteen audience but is done well enough so everyone can enjoy it. The movie centers around a group of five "losers" who are after an orb that looks like a baseball size "snitch." I couldn't help but think about other block buster films while watching this one. Our 5 "good guys" are:

Peter Quill (Chris Pratt) is the main character. As a child he was abducted from Earth right after the death of his mother. He carries with him a Sony Walkman and plays a cassette tape that should have disintegrated long ago. He is a combination of Hans Solo and Kevin Bacon from "Footloose." His playing of classic rock tunes gave me a flashback to "Heavy Metal" as they looked for the orb.

Gamora (Zoe Saldana)- works for bad guy Ronan (Lee Pace). She is green like an Orion slave girl and every bit of pretty. She refuses to be an easy conquest for Peter and refuses to dance. She is after Peter for the orb.

Rocket (Bradley Cooper-voice)- perhaps short for Rocket J. Raccoon. He is a genetic experiment and a bounty hunter after Peter for the bounty. He is quick and clever, but touchy about rodent remarks.

Groot (Vin Diesel- voice) is a Treebeard looking character. He can only say "I am Groot" which Rocket can understand from tonal inflections. In the beginning they are a pair like Master-Blaster, except Groot's character "grows" during the film.

Drax (Dave Bautista) is a muscle bound individual reminding me of a dumb Riddick, which is maybe why Vin Diesel didn't play that role. He is out for revenge against Ronan.

The main bad guy is Ronan. We know he is a bad guy because he wears a Darth Vader helmet, has a guy who looks like Darth Maul guard him and answers to an Emperor looking fellow. The difference is that is Ronan lacks the heart and humor of Darth Vader.

This is a galaxy where everyone speaks English, but no one understands the metaphors. The film is light and formulaic. It is very entertaining and demands a sequel. Just don't think too hard.

Parental Guide: Quill flips a guy off. Some PG-13 swearing. No f-bombs
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is really Groot!
kosmasp27 October 2014
Obviously as the ratings show the general consensus is that this is a good movie. But even so, this will not be everyones cup of tea. Some will not even be into the Star-Lord (or is written as one word?). When you have Bradley Cooper, but have him only in a talking role (he's the raccoon), then it shows you have real faith in the material. Actually the director of Slither shows off he can handle bigger stuff.

There is a lot going for the movie (be it the cast, might be the best movie Bautista has done and will be in for a while) and if you love Science Fiction, this might not have sounded like a shoo-in, I myself never thought I'd like this movie so much. But how could I think Marvel could go wrong? I don't know, but of course they didn't. They choose their directors wisely and their cast wisely too. Chris Pratt is someone you might have seen in many comedies before, all with small budgets or him in a supporting role (as in Delivery Man, a remake of a french movie with Vince Vaughn being top billed) .. things are about to be changed! People will know his name (his real one ... maybe also Star-Lord).

There are so many little jokes in here, that it's not possible to list them all. On another note: As with every Marvel movie there is a stinger (scene) at the end of the movie, involving a character I never expected to see. A real treat, even though I have no clue if this is foreshadowing or just a joke. Whatever the case, sit through it and watch! :o)
9 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"I am surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy."
classicsoncall24 August 2014
I can't recall ever going to see the same film a second time during it's theatrical release until this one. It's just pure, unadulterated fun that utilizes the super-hero concept with surprisingly effective results. Unless you followed the comic book, the characters are refreshingly new, and coming together the way they do in the story, manage to iron out their differences with each other in order to form an effective team. The story itself we may have seen a dozen times before but it doesn't much matter. And in case you were wondering, no raccoons or tree creatures were harmed during the making of the picture. I don't think there's much more I could add to the other five hundred plus reviews for the movie posted on this board already, other than to express my approval for the inevitable sequel, and repeat what I heard from so many folks who stuck around for the after credits sequence:

Howard the Duck?
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Special Effects Mess and ADHD Editing, But Funny
gavin694231 January 2015
A group of intergalactic criminals are forced to work together to stop a fanatical warrior from taking control of the universe.

Call me an apostate or what you will, but I do not think this is the "greatest superhero film ever made" or any of the other hyperbole going around. Is it a good story? Heck yes. Is it funny? Heck yes. And are the characters interesting? Heck yes. But it is also overshadowed by some mind-numbing special effects and lightning-fast editing that could be done without.

Not to say this is a bad movie. It is not. At all. Among the Marvel films made so far, it is probably slightly better than average. Not quite on the level of the "Iron Man" movies, and definitely not as clever as the second "Captain America", but far, far ahead of the disappointment that was "Thor: The Dark World" (though, to be fair, Thor is a bad character to begin with).
0 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A total blast
Woodyanders3 September 2014
Director/co-writer James Gunn manages to deftly blend witty humor, rousing action, touching drama, and full-tilt go-for-broke imaginative fantasy into one hell of an infectiously enjoyable cinematic cocktail that not only delivers on the dazzling grand scale spectacle, but also has plenty of moving human (and alien) moments amid all the fancy CGI pyrotechnics. What makes this film so special and appealing is the tremendous feeling of loyalty and camaraderie amongst the colorful and likable misfit protagonists: They're a scrappy ragtag bunch who initially don't seem that decent or heroic, but in the long run prove they got the right courageous stuff to qualify as true guardians of the galaxy. Chris Pratt makes for an engaging and charismatic lead. Zoe Saldana likewise shines as one tough and formidable gal. Dave Baustita provides loads of brawny charm as the vengeful Drax. Vin Diesel's throaty rumble fits perfectly for gentle giant sentient tree Groot ("I am Groot"). Michael Rooker has an absolute ball as the fearsome leader of a gang of interstellar pirates. Moreover, such familiar faces as Glenn Close, John C. Reilly, Bernicio Del Toro, and Gregg Henry acquit themselves well in neat secondary roles. Stan Lee and Lloyd Kaufman pop up in amusing cameos. However, it's Bradley Cooper's exemplary vocal work as the resourceful and quick-thinking raccoon Rocket who almost steals the whole show; Cooper projects both a fierce sense of sharp sarcastic humor and a genuinely surprising vulnerability as this lovable mutant rodent. Alas, Lee Pace's petulant Ronan rates as a rather blah central villain, but fortunately Karen Gillian as the bitter Nebula compensates for this. The choice soundtrack of 70's rock gems and a wealth of inspired pop culture references -- love that Howard the Duck cameo at the very end! -- add immensely to the overall irresistibly spirited merriment.
2 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Guardians of the Galaxy
jboothmillard21 August 2014
The Marvel Comics superhero movies are coming thick and fast in the last few years, the trailer for this next adaptation had a humorous approach, of course I saw a more action packed trailer too, so I was looking forward to seeing it, directed by James Gunn (Slither, Super). Basically, as a child, following the death of his mother Peter Quill (Chris Pratt) was abducted from Earth by alien pirates called the Ravagers, twenty six years later he has become an outcast, wanting to be known as Star-Lord, and he attempts to steal a mysterious orb. He is intercepted by Korath (Djimon Hounsou), subordinate to fanatical Kree maniac Ronan the Accuser (Lee Pace) , and after escaping Peter has a bounty put on him by Ravagers leader Yondu Udonta (Slither's Michael Rooker), assassin Gamora (Zoë Saldana) is sent to capture him and the orb. A fight ensues between them, and grabs the attention of two bounty hunters, genetically engineered raccoon Rocket (Bradley Cooper) and tree-like humanoid Groot (Vin Diesel), and the four of them end up arrested by the Nova Corps and imprisoned in maximum security artificial moon the Kyln. In the prison the four of them stick together, and are soon joined with powerful inmate Drax (Spectre's Dave Bautista) who wants revenge for the death of his family at the hands of Ronan, Gamora reveals that she betrayed Ronan as he wants to use the orb's power to destroy entire planets including Xandar, Ronan meanwhile meets titan Thanos (Josh Brolin) to discuss Gamora's betrayal and the loss of the orb. Accompanied by Drax, Quill, Gamora, Rocket and Groot escape the Kiln and flee to remote criminal outpost Nowhere, the group meets Gamora's contact Taneleer Tivan aka The Collector (Benicio Del Toro) who opens the orb, inside it is an Infinity Stone that has immeasurable power to destroy all but powerful beings who can wield it, this is proved when Tivan's assistant grabs it that engulfs him in an explosion. Drunken Drax summons Ronan, he is easily defeated while the others flee, pursued by Ronan's followers and Gamora's sister Nebula (Doctor Who's Karen Gillan), she manages to destroy her ship and captures the sphere, Gamora and Quill floating in space are collected eventually by Yondu, Quill negotiates a truce with him. Quill, Gamora, Rocket, Groot and surviving Drax agree that facing Ronan means certain death, but they must stop him from using the Infinity Stone to destroy the galaxy, Ronan meanwhile embeds the Stone in his warhammer and threatens to kill Thanos. On Xandar, Ronan's ship the Dark Aster is confronted by Yondu's fleet, the Nova Corps, and Quill's group who manage to breach, Korath is killed by Drax, Gamora defeats Nebula, who escapes, and Rocket damages the enemy ship to crash with Groot sacrificing himself to shield the others. Ronan emerges from the wreck and prepares to destroy Xandar, but Quill distracts him while Drax and Rocket destroy the warhammer, Quill grabs the Infinity Stone, and finds that he, Gamora, Rocket and Drax are powerful enough to withstand its force, and they use the power to destroy Ronan. In the end Yondu is given a false orb, while the real one containing the Stone is given to the Nova Corps, the group now called the Guardians of the Galaxy all have their criminal records expunged, Quill finds out he is only half-human, his father was part an ancient unknown species, and he finds the courage to open the last present from his dying mother, the Guardians leave in their repaired ship, the Milano, and Groot seen regrowing in his plant pot. Also starring John C. Reilly as Corpsman Dey, Glenn Close as Nova Prime, The Inbetweeners Movie's Laura Haddock as Meredith Quill, Peter Serafinowicz as Denarian Saal, Stan Lee as Xandarian Ladies' Man, Slither's Nathan Fillion as Monstrous Inmate, Rob Zombie as Ravager Navigator and Seth Green as Howard the Duck in an amusing post credits sequence. Pratt is likable as the wisecracking hero with his "Awesome Mix" cassette tapes, Saldana is cool as the green-skinned warrior, Cooper does almost steal the show as the fuzzy fast-talking sidekick with Diesel suitably voicing his walking tree partner who can only say "I am Groot", and Pace and Gillan get their moments as the villains. It takes perhaps a few minutes to properly get the plot, but once you do it is an engaging one as the heroes of the peace try to stop the power-hungry aliens achieving galactic domination, the high octane chase and fight sequences are impressive, and the CGI and makeup special effects creating the spaceships, creatures and imaginative space spectacle is brilliant, the soundtrack with "awesome" songs like "I'm Not in Love" - 10cc, "Escape (The Piña Colada Song)" - Rupert Holmes, "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" - Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell and "I Want You Back" - The Jackson 5 is a nice touch as well, a fantastically fun science-fiction action adventure. It was nominated the Oscar for Best Makeup and Hairstyling and Best Visual Effects, and it was nominated the BAFTA for Best Make Up & Hair and Best Special Visual Effects. Very good!
2 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A really fun space opera
Tweekums15 August 2019
One night in 1988 Peter Quinn's mother dies and then he is abducted by aliens... not a great day. Twenty six years later he is roaming the galaxy as a thief known, if only to himself, as Star Lord. He steals a mysterious orb and soon everybody is after him; some because there is a bounty on his head others because there are those who want the orb for the power it holds. The soon crosses paths with bounty hunters Rocket and Groot; a genetically engineered racoon-like being and a walking tree, and Gamora, an attractive green woman who is after the orb. They are all arrested and while in jail form an unlikely partnership; they are joined by a fifth member, Drax, who wants revenge against Ronan, the being who murdered his family. They manage to escape but there troubles are far from over; Ronan wants the orb as it holds the power to destroy those he opposes. Few people they approach can be trusted and much of the time they don't trust each other... it will be a miracle if they can save each other let alone the galaxy!

When I saw that this was a Marvel film I initially thought it might be yet another superhero film; it isn't. Instead we get a space opera which is full of action, humour and some fine lead characters. It may not be quite as high camp as 'The Fifth Element' or 'Jupiter Ascending' it is in that ballpark with over-the-top villains and exotic aliens. The plot might not provide too many surprises but it does give exciting scene after exciting scene. The characters are great; I particularly liked Groot; despite his very limited vocabulary. The cast does a fine job; this includes those we see and those who provide the voices for the animated characters. The special effects are top notch; they make the animated characters fit seamlessly into the live action and provide spectacular backdrops to impressive action. The use of music from the '60s and '70s was fun and nicely justified by the fact that Quinn had a tape of his mother's favourite music... of course the idea that he could play it for over twenty years without it being chewed up is perhaps the most unlikely part of the film! Overall I'd say this is a really fun sci-fi romp that can be enjoyed by anybody who enjoys the genre but doesn't take it too seriously.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow. Just wow...
paul_haakonsen14 November 2016
For some reason I never gotten around to watching "Guardians of the Galaxy" before late in 2016, because I had expected it to be yet another mass-produced Marvel superhero movie. That, and plus it has Vin Diesel in it, which is always a no-no for me.

However, it would turn out that I had really been missing out on something great and entertaining here. And it turned out that this was actually the best Marvel movie to date. I was especially pleased with this not being another pointless superhero movie, which I associate Marvel with.

I am not going to delve into details with the storyline here. Just a quick summary. A band of ragtag spacers come together as their fates intertwine and must band together in order to save the entire galaxy.

What worked in "Guardians of the Galaxy" for me was a couple of things. The storyline for starters, because this was really an entertaining movie from start to end, and it was a story that you could submerge yourself into, because there were so many aspects to it, that there was just something for just about everyone. But also because of the special effects; wow! I was blown away by the special effects, especially because it was so realistic and so vivid; lots of color and vibrant things on the screen throughout the movie. Which leads me to the characters, which were very interesting, well some more so than others.

I really enjoyed the Rocket character (voiced by Bradley Cooper), he was really a blast. Pardon the pun! He had so much charm and wits, and he was just a delight to watch as he unfolded on the screen. And close after him were Peter Quill (played by Chris Pratt) and Gamora (played by Zoe Saldana). I can't really claim to be overly impressed or entertained by the Drax character (played by Dave Bautista) and Groot (voiced by Vin Diesel). But hey, all a matter of individual preference.

"Guardians of the Galaxy" really was a genuinely entertaining movie in every aspect, and it is a movie that you can watch more than just a single time. That, in itself, is some noteworthy accomplishment, especially since many newer movies fail to accomplish that.

I was more than impressed with "Guardians of the Galaxy" and I am not shy to admit that I had really been missing out on a grand adventure. If you haven't seen "Guardians of the Galaxy" yet, then strap in, and prepare to blast into the vast galaxy. I promise you that you will be in for one heck of a ride...
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Please don't feel like you HAVE to laugh.
BA_Harrison8 August 2014
There's a moment in Guardians of the Galaxy when Rocket, the film's talking raccoon (voiced by Bradley Cooper), is accused of faking his laugh; coincidentally, there were quite a few people in the cinema I went to who I could have hurled the same accusation at. Yes, GOTG features a couple of genuinely funny moments, but it also has more than its fair share of gags that fall flat and certainly do not warrant the kind of belly laughs that I could hear (probably coming from deluded Marvel fan-boys).

However, even with its frequently-less-than-hilarious comedic moments, this big-budget dollop of sci-fi comic book silliness still manages to be quite a lot of mindless popcorn fun, delivering enough weird and wonderful characters, fantastic worlds, spectacular action set-pieces and impressive special effects wizardry to guarantee a reasonably fun time. Director James Gunn's eclectic and vibrant universe is brimming with such imagination and visual splendour, all accompanied by a poptastic '70s/'80s soundtrack, that the film proves a treat for the senses despite its obvious shortcomings elsewhere.
9 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entertaining most of the time but an ultimately very forgettable movie.
TxMike24 December 2014
I'm not quite sure what this movie was trying to be but I watched it as a comedy. A Stan Lee comedy.

It starts out in 1988 and a young boy's mother is dying, then he is outside and a giant alien spacecraft abducts him.

Then the movie switches forward to present time, 26 or so years later, and the boy has grown to a 30-something Chris Pratt as Peter Quill on some planet far off in the galaxy. He has turned into some sort of mercenary who can retrieve things at the request of others.

Zoe Saldana, all in green skin makeup is his nemesis Gamora, who eventually warms up to Peter after he saves her from certain death in the vacuum of space.

There are a number of strange and dangerous characters, such as Dave Bautista as Drax, Vin Diesel voicing the tall, woody plant form known as Groot, Bradley Cooper voicing the short, raccoon-like creature known as Rocket, and a host of others.

The action goes from one strange planet to another, all the while playing up dialog for laughs when it could.

I'm not quite sure what to think of it, but one thing is certain, it gave my subwoofer a great work-out!
5 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
a winning combination of comedy, characters, and special fx (and a little heart)
Quinoa198413 November 2014
Guardians of the Galaxy was something I saw this past summer, and by now it should be gone from my memory, or rather a little faded. Summer blockbusters should be fun as disposable entertainments (or on the flip-side can be detrimental to your brain and well-being if they're not), and yet Guardians of the Galaxy, Marvel Studios' 10th feature film in eight years, has a little more to offer than the usual. At least, it should be said, with its characters and most of its cast. Plus, it's a comedy deep down - with some tragic roots that aren't totally ignored - and it stays true to that and makes it more memorable on those grounds. If it's not THE best of the MCU flicks yet, it's probably the funniest by way of its ensemble.

After little "Starlord" (yeah, it's not his name, but might as well) loses his mother at the start of the movie (and yeah, a bit of a dramatic start, but director James Gunn makes it real and impactful) and happens to get, yes, sucked up into a spaceship by some mysterious group, it cuts ahead to twenty years later as the boy is now a man (Chris Pratt), a kind of bounty hunter but for objects instead of people. Somehow one thing leads to another and he winds up in a prison, alongside a motley crew of other 'low-lifes' like Rocket Raccoon (voiced by, yes, Bradley Cooper), his companion/partner/Tree-Monster Groot (Vin Diesel), a woman (Zoe Saldana) who is actually from a family of royalty but gets shuffled out by a betrayal of sorts, and Dave Bautista as a Big-Headed Lunk named Drax who's one crutch is that he takes things very literally (including gestures that seem self-explanatory).

This central ensemble is cast and played with excellent timing and a strong variety. No one member is alike, even though there's plenty of sarcasm to go around - Starlord is like a Han Solo, but to a point so is Rocket Raccoon, and of all things it's the latter who is the most 'bad-ass' of the bunch with his technical skills, though also the most unbalanced - and quirks and distrust is a-plenty. There's a lot of comedy in the writing, including some off-kilter sexual references - which, for me as a summer movie presumably meant for kids, made me giddy that they could get away with it, and more importantly that they were hilarious - but also Pratt has excellent timing and chops with everyone. And yet he doesn't play it all for laughs all the time, and when called upon to be serious or call back to his character's mother and past, he can go there too.

The fact that Gunn can get the audience so worked up about this group is really endearing (he described the difference between them and the Avengers like the difference between the Stones and the Beatles, similar songs to play in a group, but varied approach to the music with Guardians being harder edged), including, yes, a giant tree and an over-bearing Meat-Head like Draxx. And there are a couple of solid supporting players who have just delightfully bizarre science-fiction/space-opera get ups (this is also a variation on Star Wars of course); Benicio del-Toro in his one scene and Michael Rooker, the best 'villain' type character of the film as Starlord's a-hole mentor, steal their scenes completely.

I mention all this good stuff, not to mention some winning action set-pieces and occasionally truly spectacular special effects, because the main plot of the film isn't all that great. It's a little been-here-done-that, the Magic Item (one of the items that will eventually make up the Infinity Gauntlet) that has to be saved and protected, and a main villain via Lee Pace that just isn't interesting or compelling. He does what he can, but there isn't much room to do past what is required. It's almost as if Gunn and Nicole Perlman (the writers) knew they had to work with this boiler-plate sci-fi story, did decently, served the franchise that's continuing, and decided that the best way to make this worthwhile would be to give the really choice stuff to the heroes. For me the only thing keeping it back from the heights of The Avengers is a really captivating villain or stakes in that regard.

But if you watch it for these main players, their rapore with one another, the awesomely self-conscious soundtrack (you laugh when certain songs come up, and tap your feet at the same time), and some of the wilder visuals that can come up for these planets and settings - and did I mention a f***ing raccoon is one of the great characters of the past several years in mainstream films, it must be said again - it's popcorn bliss for a couple hours and change.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Guardians of the Galaxy was another awesome Marvel movie
tavm11 August 2014
Unlike previous Marvel films, I wasn't familiar with the characters of Guardians of the Galaxy from the comic books. But it was a nice surprise to watch what they're all about in the way they're depicted here. Plenty of awesome action and some funny lines and scenes abound. What really got me going was the various recordings from the '70s of popular songs that I recalled highly enjoying listening to on AM radio back in the day! Hearing mention of the original Footloose and that movie's star, Kevin Bacon, was also awesome! Also such was the by-now-familiar Stan Lee cameo and seeing someone like Glenn Close taking a role here. So on that note, I highly recommend Guardians of the Galaxy.
3 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An enjoyable film
Gordon-1120 August 2014
This film tells the story of how several individuals of different races in the galaxy team up to save the galaxy from destruction by an evil villain.

The great thing about films is that anything can become reality, and "Guardians of the Galaxy" makes good use of this rule. We have people of red, blue and green skins respectively, a talking tree (albeit a limited vocabulary) and a talking raccoon. It has comedic moments, especially delivered by Vin Diesel who is not usually funny. The action is great, augmented by the amazing special effects. I was so impressed by the formation of planes against the Dark Aster that I felt tingles down my spine. Emotional moments are delivered by the first scene, and the final scene which references the first scene. There are all the elements for "Guardians of the Galaxy" to be a successful blockbuster, and I enjoyed watching it.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good, but doesn't match the hype
studioAT6 September 2017
A rag tag group of misfits try to defend the galaxy - that's the basic plot, though it's stretched to breaking point.

There was so much hype surrounding this film upon release and for the sequel that followed that I thought I'd better check it out.

And what I found was a decent film, certainly one of the better Marvel film adaptations, full of good music and a sense of humour that is lacking in some of the other similar films.

Despite good performances from all involved I can't say it's a film I'd ever wish to see again, but it was enjoyable enough.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Exciting romp through the galaxy.
michaelRokeefe23 February 2017
James Gunn co-writes and directs this fantasy piece based on the Marvel comic book. Two hours of extremely exciting action, adventure, drama, comedy, inspiring cinematography and unbelievable CGI. Peter Quill (Chris Pratt) is an arrogant space pilot that makes a living collecting "junk" and most of all wants to be known as the 'Star Lord'. Quill has gotten his hands on a rare space orb coveted by Ronan (Lee Pace), a bitter intergalactic warlord. Peter gathers a ragtag team of oddballs that are destined to be heroes as they stand between Ronan and the destruction of the galaxy.

Fast paced and held together with a soundtrack featuring the likes of: Redbone, Runaways, Elvin Bishop, David Bowie and Raspberries.

A talented cast that includes: Zoe Saldana, Michael Rooker, Benicio Del Toro, Karen Gillan, Christopher Fairbank, John C. Reilly and Glenn Close. Plus the voices of Bradley Cooper and Vin Diesel.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Buckaroo Steals from Marvel
tedg9 April 2015
I don't know where this came from, whether it incubated in this form in comics for years. Or whether someone at the Studio hired someone else smart. What I do know is that Marvel is playing with fire with this. They know how to make roller coasters. They know how to seem profound to teenagers. And they know how to frame a shot.

But now, what? Will we expect all of their films to make fun of the Marvel empire? Will this last bastion of non-ironic teen juice dissolve like westerns did after Leone? Is it impossible now to have a Star Wars with no snickering?

With millions of others, I liked this in many ways. Seemingly alone, I find the other Marvel projects unbearable, uncinematic, solipsistic. If I could tease out one thing to celebrate in this, it would be the tree.

It is a character that becomes an environment. Twice. It is a character that contradicts the standard Marvel speechifying. Most striking of all, it is the only character to break the fourth wall. In the middle of the ultimate battle, it performs a fight move typical of Marvel: performance fighting, the kind that assumes there is a viewer to admire the silliness. Then Groot turns to the audience, looks directly at us and grins as if he is the only one who understands what is going on.

Did anyone else think of Hudson Hawk during that first Indiana Jones steal-the-orb sequence?
8 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.