Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) Poster

1,437 Reviews
Guardians of Galaxy
auuwws2 November 2020
One of the funniest Marvel films is a comedy movie with distinction. A simple story. All the heroes of the film were excellent, especially Drax, Rocket, Groot, and Alcmestri among the heroes of the film was excellent. The music scene was great, especially Come And Get Your Love.
19 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of my fav movie
rawonela22 December 2020
I don't know how marvel did that but man this movie was something, TBH I wasn't sure if that movie will success because It sounded like silly for me when I heard about talking raccoon and tree, suddenly they became one of my favorite characters in the MCU , Sorry marvel I was wrong.
19 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
FUNNY, FULL OF HEART AND VISUALLY DAZZLING
andreascaloni1 March 2021
Marvel Studios' Guardians of the Galaxy is a smart, funny, bright, weird and exciting movie. It's a dazzling spectacle of gloriously bizarre entertainment. It boasts of a talented cast, an awesome soundtrack and great special effects. Guardians feels at once both epic and intimate. James Gunn's Guardians of the Galaxy's one of Marvel's best films to date. Rating: 9,2
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Immy's review : A classic
heyimmyx19 August 2020
As someone who is not a fan of Marvel nor superhero movies, I really enjoyed this film. Despite its recycled plot, what makes this stand out from the other generic movies is the loveable and refreshing characters, the killer music, and the distinct and unique design and atmosphere. The main characters were fascinatingly individual, separating themselves from the other more dull and shallow characters I've seen in superhero movies. They had a infectious and heartwarming dynamic together, which created something very moving to watch, as we witness five very different people try and get along, evoking chaos and some hilarious conflicts. The way they were introduced was genius, as what turns from them plotting against each other, turns into them teaming up and helping one another. The characters were genuinely loveable, especially the mischievous Rocket, and the sweet and selfless Groot, who you instantly fall in love with. The movie had the perfect blend of comedy and drama, knowing exactly when to throw in a joke, and not being afraid to add some lighthearted humour to the serious scenes. What's great about this movie is that it doesn't take itself too seriously, and almost has a satirical tone to the 'Superhero' genre. Every dramatic moment became something funny, and so the movie didn't become this overly melo-dramatic and cliche superhero film. It knew when to tone it down. That's why it worked for someone like me who can't take the superhero movies seriously. The soundtrack was legendary, providing a mix of glam rock and roll and hardcore rock, creating a fun and thrilling atmosphere, and really evoking a sense of 'epicness'. Finally, the CGI was incredibly realistic and aesthetically compelling, producing a beautiful yet distinct backdrop for the characters. Overall, this movie is a fun, witty and heartwarming experience with excellent music, effects and a genuine and heartfelt core. Highly recommend!
13 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Perfect Film Entertainment
denise-882-1390232 January 2021
This film is perfect entertainment. Sheer bliss from end to end. Watch it, laugh out loud and enjoy.
12 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great space adventure
SebMoz16 November 2020
Good lord, I did not expect this movie to be as good as it was. Where as I usually prefer the more mature and serious MCU movies, this is a wonderful exception. It's funny, it's lighthearted and it's imaginative. That does not mean it's lacking good characters. Each of the Guardians have their own struggles and quirks, while also being very likeable and funny. The best scenes in the movie are the ones where the characters just talk, which shows just how good the chemistry between them are. The plot is fairly simple, yet engaging, and the pacing is really good. The action is well made, the emotional moments are good, the climax feels pretty climactic. I do have a few issues though. Firstly, while the villain seems to have a reason for his actions, he's still very one-dimentional and boring thematically. I also got a little tired of the "end of the world" trope which seems to be in most superhero films these days, even though this movie handled it better than most other movies I've seen it in. The comedy was also a little too silly for my liking, but it wasn't a big deal. These flaws don'r ruin the movie in the slighest though, as this is a fun, exciting and engaging experience that I highly recommend.
12 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best mcu films
waqassaleem-852018 September 2020
It is a very fun and entertaining film. The story and screenplay is amazing. The direction by James Gunn is awesome. The CGI and visual effects of the film are outstanding. The film is one of the best MCU films humor wise. The performances of the cast are great. All the main characters are very likable. Definitely a must watch even if you aren't a superhero movie lover.
15 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Black Swan of the MCU
Moviedude907 February 2021
It has character, plot, plot twist, grandiosity, and most of all, resolve. In addition, it's almost unfair how much nostalgia they poured into that soundtrack. I had fun with it
11 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Stunning Surprise
Loving_Silence26 July 2014
Guardians of the Galaxy is nothing short of an amazing movie. If there's anything I can say, it's that it is the best superhero movie I have seen. Not only does it have the impressive set pieces and enough action to last you a lifetime, it has an emotional core and you actually get to care about each and every single character. Overall this movie is filled with all the required thrills and spills and is a first class action movie. It also has a great mixture of comedic value and a deal of seriousness.

The film's unlikely hero is Quill (Chris Pratt), an eccentric gunfighter in the Han Solo mould who we meet stealing a metal orb coveted by the evil warlord Ronan. When he dispatches his top assassin, the green- skinned Gamora (Zoe Saldana), to recover the artifact, the pair find themselves locked up, along with the galaxy's most unlikely bounty hunters – a gun-toting raccoon (Bradley Cooper) and his sidekick (Vin Diesel) who just happens to be a walking tree. All the actors do a great job at portraying there characters, they feel real beings. You get to know about them and their struggles and you become attached to them. Every character in the movie got their time to shine, especially Rocket Raccoon who is voiced perfectly by Bradley Cooper. Everyone is pitch perfect in their roles even Batista!

For those that want specifics: effects were top notch, acting was excellent, story lines were compelling, the comedy was perfect 99.5% of the time and surprise there were a lot of one line typical superhero zingers that worked really well. What really can't be stressed enough is just how insanely fun and entertaining Guardians of the Galaxy is for literally its entire two-hour-plus run-time. I still have a hard time wrestling with who was my favorite actor in this. all in all, the film is brilliantly well done, action scenes are engrossing and genuinely done, you genuinely worry about certain characters and I for one was thrilled with it. Go see this.
672 out of 1,018 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
There is a lot to like
r96sk18 January 2021
When planning how I was going watch all these MCU films, this is one I earmarked as being one I thought I'd enjoy - not based on anything of note, I knew very little, but from the passing screenshots and such I had seen it seemed like one I'd enjoy. I'm happy to say I certainly did!

'Guardians of the Galaxy' is so enjoyable. It's 121 minutes of pure entertainment. It does, at least to me, have a different feel to it when compared to the nine preceding MCU films. That's not a negative for either this or those earlier productions, it just felt different to me.

I particularly enjoyed the cast, which features - as is customary at this point - a load of well known names. Chris Pratt is, probably, the perfect choice for Peter, he carries the role extremely well - his humour sticks out, but he also performs the more serious stuff nicely.

Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, Bradley Cooper and Michael Rooker are all thoroughly enjoyable too. Vin Diesel (kinda?) appears to portray Groot, which pleases me as someone who is a big fan of 'Fast & Furious'. There are a few others in there, including Djimon Hounsou and Benicio del Toro. Terrific cast!

There is a lot to like here. I look forward to seeing the follow-ups to it.
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
In My Opinion, The Best Non-Avengers MCU Movie
ma-0162913 October 2020
I adore this movie so much! I have no idea how Marvel did it. They turned a group of D-list superheroes to some of the most popular and loved characters in the MCU but also created one of the funniest but also heartfelt MCU movies.

What an achievement. This movie is just the perfect mix of everything. The CGI is excellent and while there is a lot, it doesn't feel too over saturated and pretty easy to follow what is going on and that is an accomplishment. The action sequences are all so much fun, so exciting, so fast paced and despite the fact there's a lot going on, it's pretty easy to follow. The soundtrack is stellar. I did not grow up with these songs but I love them. They are so catchy and always uses during the best times, during a montage or the movie's funnier moments.

I adore the characters as well. They have so much personality, are hilarious and I love their character dynamics and interactions. It feels really well developed and every actor brings so much energy to the role and this movie is hilarious. It's the first MCU movie to go full comedy and it mostly lands.

Despite the hilarious moments, this movie is really emotional. I literally cried during the opening scene and the scene where the Guardians hold the power stone or the scene where Star Lord reads his late mom's letter or the scene where the Guardians decide to fight Ronan are all very emotional scenes that get blended in with the comedy perfectly.
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I AM Amazed
klammi20 March 2021
Guardians of the Galaxy is a pleasantly surprising SyFy thriller for this generation. The film stars Chris Pratt as Peter aka Star-Lord, Zoe Saldana as Gamora, Bradley Cooper as the voice of Rocket, Vin Diesel as the voice of Groot, and Dave Bautista as Drax. This all-star cast does an amazing job bringing these characters to life. If you like any of the Marvel Avengers movies you will love the humor and action of this family-friendly film. Peter is a human from planet Earth that has a bounty on his head when Rocket, a talking raccoon that was developed in a lab, and Grout a walking tree come along and try to capture him to collect the bounty on him. In the meantime, Gamora comes along trying to steal the Orb that Peter has in his possession. This group of misfits that end up crossing paths, all at the same time, end up being put into prison where they meet Drax. Drax lost his family at the hands of Gamora's gang, therefore Drax wants revenge and to kill her. This group of enemies ends up having to rely on each other to escape prison. In the beginning, they are trying to kill one another or use each other for personal gain. In order to ensure their personal gain, they end up having to try and keep one another alive. By protecting each other they begin to create a bond. I feel that the music along with the special effects that were used for this film is what makes it great. The music speaks to what is happening in the film and the emotions that the character is feeling at that time. They were consistent and the use of the music shows the time frame in which Peter left Earth. The differences in the feeling during the scenes are also shown in the lighting and special effects. The lighting and special effects during the fight scenes show quicker cuts, as opposed to the times during the film when the characters are more relaxed, in which the director pans across the scene moving with the characters. The director and the all-star cast pull the audience in and do an excellent job bringing the characters to life while leaving them asking what could be next for this group of friends. If you like humor in your SyFy films you will love this cinematic sensation.
LITERALLY ONE OF THE FUNNIEST MOVIES YOU CAN FIND
asrobor19 March 2021
I had no idea Marvel movies can be so funny! Action and comedy are actually pretty nice combined. The characters are just brilliant and the jokes are just like they should be, not too lame but not too much. The story was very good and entertaining. The only reason I don't rate this 10/10 is because Guardians Of the Galaxy vol 2 is just a bit better. I highly recommend watching this, even if you thought that Marvel movies are boring (like I did).
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
James Gunn, a crazy genius.
repojack4 March 2021
I honestly believe Guardians of the Galaxy would never have worked without James Gunn. I have to reluctantly admit that Joss Whedon put it the best when he said: "James Gunn is what makes me think it will work ... He is so off the wall, and so crazy, but so smart, such a craftsman and he builds from his heart."

The casting was fantastic. Each of the major actors fit their roles like a glove.

And it's another example of how music elevates a movie. GoG is he first MCU movie to actually have real songs (nostalgic 70's music) played throughout, setting the tone in the first 30 seconds with the melancholic I'm Not In Love by 10CC.

But what really sets this apart from all the others MCU movies before this is the mastery of the humor. I think this is the first Marvel movie that I busted my gut a bazillion times while watching. Nearly everything that comes out of Drax's mouth and so many quotable quotes it would fill up a cassette tape.

It is so apropos that James Gunn was tapped to reboot Suicide Squad. I hope his R rated version kills at the box office and makes Kevin Feige reconsider his stupid "only PG-13" for MCU movies (except Deadpool 3) rule.

"We are Groot."
I AM GROOT
reddiemurf818 August 2020
The MCU is putting out a movie about these 5 misfits in space called the GOTG? Eh,, I'll go see it. I've liked everything else they've done. Well,,, I do believe the gamble that MCU rolled the dice on has paid off more than they could've imagined!! Even RDJ said this movie was the best thing to have come out of the MCU at that point, and we're not going to argue with Ironman. So take a journey with Starlord, Gamora, Drax, Rocket and Groot!

Go watch it!!
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A sprawling space opera full of humor and action.
BrentHankins30 July 2014
I remember sitting in Hall H at Comic-Con two years ago, when Marvel first announced Guardians of the Galaxy. This came on the heels of the title reveals for Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Thor: The Dark World, and my initial reaction was one of utter confusion. What the hell was Guardians of the Galaxy? I was completely unfamiliar with the source material, and upon learning that the team featured a gun-wielding raccoon and a fighting tree creature whose could only speak a single phrase, I was even more puzzled.

Fast forward to Comic-Con 2013, when James Gunn appeared onstage in Hall H to showcase the first trailer for the film. It was so unlike anything Marvel had ever done before, so far outside the box that I immediately fell in love with it and couldn't wait to see more. Although that first trailer was well-received by the Comic-Con audience, the general public seemed to be scratching their heads in much the same way that I had when the film was first announced. Marvel fans would love this, no doubt, but could this bizarre little sci-fi romp with a cast of unknown characters actually work?

The answer is a resounding "yes," as Guardians of the Galaxy is not only an exceptionally well-made comic-book film, but an exceptionally well- made film, period. It's a sprawling space opera with a host of memorable characters, a joyous sci-fi romp through beautifully realized worlds, wildly inventive action sequences, and an almost nonstop barrage of humor and fun. The protagonists are a bizarre assembly of losers and misfits, with the CG-created Rocket and Groot providing some of the most emotional and human moments of the film, and it's all brilliant. Marvel should be applauded for allowing Gunn the opportunity to realize his vision, because rest assured, this film wouldn't have been nearly as good with someone else at the helm.

Guardians of the Galaxy has a distinct personality that sets it apart from other Marvel offerings, yet there are enough recognizable elements to remind audiences that it exists in the same world. Clocking in at just under two hours, the film maintains an impressively well-balanced pace, avoiding the problem of over-inflation that many superhero films fall victim to. I can't think of a single moment when I wasn't completely enthralled with everything that happens on screen, and as soon as the credits began to roll I was ready to watch it all over again.
484 out of 768 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I was smiling almost all the way through
marcus-blakelock31 July 2014
Expectations: surpassed - and they were pretty damn high to begin with.

Excitement: met - after watching the teasers, the clips, and after Captain America the Winter soldier I was crossing my fingers Marvel were on a roll.

Face: still trying to recover - you know when you go to the cinema to see a comedy ( a film designed to make you laugh ) and you feel like an idiot for paying for the ticket as you were forcing most of the laughter in the company of your friends? This is a film that it's genuinely easy to laugh about:

The humour is so subtle because the characters are so subtle - they're not too animated, they're not too stereotypical and they are NOT what we've come to expect from traditional superheroes and THAT'S WHY THIS FILM WORKS SO WELL! Regardless if you're a Marvel fan or simply a fan of movies in general this is an experience you will welcome as it's new and refreshing to a sci-fi genre which really needed something new and refreshing and with great performances, stunning visuals and a barrel of laughs mixed with the right amount of action this was a real treat to watch.

Thank you Marvel Studios.
386 out of 611 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A New Hope
jonny-van31 July 2014
I entitle my review A New Hope as I walk out of the cinema feeling like I have just watched the Star Wars of our generation!

As a huge Marvel fan (both comics and film) I was delighted to hear this film was getting made with the perfect choice of Guardians and what a perfect cast to play them. The biggest surprise for me was Dave Bautista who I thought was only cast for his size but his delivery was spot on for Drax. Chris Pratt was hilarious whilst still excellent at delivering some of the films most emotional scenes.

CGI in this film was super, there's nothing I hate more than too much CGI in a film but it was so good in Guardians that I was completely lost in it. Never have a seen space look so good, the battles were incredible and Groot and Rocket never looked out of place (aside from being a tree and raccoon).

Gunn is the perfect director for this, his tone, his balance of comedy, action and emotion blended perfectly and directing GOTG would have been no easy job. DC are still trying hard to get Justice League going, Marvel just made a film with a talking tree and Raccoon and it was AWESOME!!!

Not a bad performance all round and comic fans will be happy with certain nods and winks scattered throughout. Probably my top Marvel film yet, it has the fresh new feeling the first Iron Man had with all the action and humour of The Avengers. 10 stars from me, even if your not a comic book or sci-fi fan, this movie has something for everyone.
550 out of 898 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pelvic sorcery saves the galaxy
utgard1415 November 2014
Like a lot of other people, I wasn't sure what to expect from this movie. To say it exceeded my expectations would be an understatement. It's a clever and fresh gem in the stable of Marvel films. One of the best they've put out so far. The script is full of funny lines but it's also got lots of good character stuff with earned emotional moments. The action and effects are nice. The cast is great, including those just doing voices. Chris Pratt does a wonderful job blending the comic relief with the superhero. The soundtrack of old pop songs is terrific and integrated into the plot perfectly. The homages to Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and more are fun. Which is the simplest and best word to describe this movie: fun. You'll have a blast watching it.
33 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An obvious flawless scifi comedy comic book MASTERPIECE!!! Top 10 best EVER!!
joiningjt12 March 2021
Nothing I can add to this amazing work of art, to me no scifi compares, it blows away star wars...sorry!! The cast is magical, the story phenomenal, the special effects and the 3d un paralleled, this will become a classic film right at the top!! The comedy is mixed in perfectly, we've watched this film at least 20 times, 3 times in the theater and the rest at home in brilliant 3d bluray!!! It gets better everytime we see it. Thank you to the cast and crew for a huge feel good , lose yourself for 2 hours work of art!!!!!
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is my favorite movie of all time
martasanchess3 March 2021
This movie was so good it had incredible acting and a great plot. This movie is so awesome if you have not seen it watch it!
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great movie
muhammad-669037 January 2021
This movie is one of my favorite movies of marvel, it is funny and thrilling.
Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) Review - 8.7/10
sammielimehouse12 December 2020
This is one of the funniest, well-written movies in the entirety of the MCU. Chris Pratt is amazing, as always, and the rest of the cast is not to be slept on. Even the professional wrestler, Dave Bautista was great in his role as Drax the Destroyer! This film was excellently casted, wonderfully acted, and let's not forget that score. One downfall is the villain, Ronan, but that's not enough to ruin this film. For Christ's sake this movie made me cry because a tree said "We are Groot!" That should tell you why this film is so beloved.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great film worth watching.
Grimbleton8 September 2020
Guardians of the Galaxy is a great film by fantastic director James Gunn that tells the tale of Peter Quill, or Star-Lord as he likes to call himself, and hos band of misfits Rocket, Groot, Gamora and Drax as they make their way from plan to plan, ending up in the clutches of the Ravagers, a high security NOVA prison and ultimately squaring off against a powerful Kree warlord who wants nothing but control and destruction. The excellent cinematography combined with a star-studded cast make this an engaging film that threads the line between explosions and emotional conflicts that will win your heart over, if Rocket's hilarious outbursts or Drax's literal personality havent done so already. My only gripes with the film come from odd holes in the plot such as Rocket and Groot going from wanting to turn Peter into the authorities for a handsome sum of units to risking their lives with him on a dangerous suicide mission or the sudden attitude change for the main characters as they go from wanting to kill each other to being "best friends". My assumption is that Gunn was restricted by the length of the film, but nonetheless it does make for a slightly jarring jump in character development. Well worth a watch and helps provide context to the greater arc in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
Joyous
darrenpeacock200221 August 2020
Just let yourself be taken in! A sad beginning morphed into the most joyous of movies and the soundtrack is brilliant.

Just let yourself enjoy