Monsieur Lazhar (2011)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 10 items
|MPAA||Rated PG-13 for mature thematic material, a disturbing image and brief language|
Sex & Nudity
Violence & Gore
- In the first five minutes of the movie, a teacher is found hanging by a sash from the ceiling of her classroom. We see her through the classroom window on the opposite side of the room. We do not see her face. The scene is emotionally disturbing, but not graphic at all.
- The rest of the movie deals with the children and adults handling the aftermath of her suicide.
- A child draws a noose around a photo of the teacher who hung herself.
- Two children get into a shoving match at school, with lots of name-calling.
- Several uses of "damn" and "goddamn". Name-calling including "retard". A few minor racist remarks against Arabs (as the main character is from Algeria).
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- Two adults drink wine at dinner.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- The idea of a teacher committing suicide inside a classroom while the children are at recess can be quite disturbing for young children.
- In one very emotional scene, a child breaks down in tears and repeatedly asks if his teacher's suicide was his fault.
- Some intense, convincing acting from the child actors makes the theme of the movie that much more real.