Whispers (2015) Poster

(III) (2015)

Not your typical horror movie
danadorff28 April 2018
This flick is something a little different to all other horror films but does so on it's own terms and satisfies your viewing. The story is slightly slow in places but very effective when it comes to the conclusion. The house or mansion in this case was a cool addition to the tense and creepy vibe you get for most of the film. This film has good reviews from the horror critics and I certainly see why this was on Redbox for a long time and well worth the watch.
189 out of 220 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
UNUSUAL BUT QUITE GOOD
livygold12 May 2018
Whispers is a title that works quite well in places and in some scenes were really shot well and gave tension and horror. The only downside was there was drama with the couple losing there kid but it actually works in the finale. The cast were quite solid and the look was Gothic for sure and gave some really dark scenes in many places which made up for the drama filled scenes. The bottom line is you get a worthy horror film that satisfies your horror craving.
130 out of 163 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't believe these positive reviews
the_aids_giver31 March 2017
Take a look at them. Most are made by people who have been "members" on IMDb for as long as the lifespan of a Mayfly.

These writings are clearly made by shills. This is the most blatant abuse of IMDb reviews I have ever seen. You'd think they would try harder with their scam to make it seem more convincing.

Why put all that effort into covering for a below average genre vehicle when they could've, instead, put the effort into making a good movie?
361 out of 603 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't Bother
briancbrb24 March 2017
This was just terrible. Quite possibly the worst movie I've ever seen and I've seen Ishtar. There is nothing scary about this movie, it's not horror. It's suspenseful drama at best, and that's giving it too much credit. If you watch this movie you will wish you could get that hour and a half of your life back...but you can't. I unfortunately went off the average review and didn't actually read the red box reviews, until after I watched it. It was then that I realized all the 4 &5 star reviews all made reference to "girl power" and "go girl". I guess if a woman directs a movie it's automatically a great movie. My fiancé and I disagree.
344 out of 576 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
decent enough
melblake19 August 2017
A pretty decent flick that keeps you thinking the whole way through, granted this is not a possession movie more of a thinking horror. Pretty decent film that has a twist for the ending when you find out the wife was a ghost that was cool and not expected, not bad acting and camera-work to keep the mood up in this tight indie flick!
320 out of 555 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good but more drama and mystery
maxlewis-0564427 December 2017
So when writing the review for this film its slightly difficult as part of me loved it and the other part wanted more scares, but i have to say at least with this movie i had a satisfying end to the hour and a half i spent watching it. I think i was in the mood for a more Insidious type horror movie but by the end was very happy with what i watched, on the other hand if i was going for horror with drama mixed with mystery this would be the one for me.
312 out of 544 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
strange but decent movie
jaynehood-2767915 August 2017
That would be my take on this movie indeed it was decent but also strange and i am convinced i loved it yet feel strange with it but i will say that is a good thing with films these days. It is not your average horror but it is still horror with drama built in. If your in the mood for a decent horror story give this a bash can do far worse.
313 out of 548 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A review for REDBOX viewers
nickijjohnson24 March 2017
Got this crap movie at Redbox because of IMDb good reviews. What the hell? Did I see a different movie? I hated this film from start to finish. Mediocre acting mixed with incredibly forgettable characters. The opening of this movie was so pointless and didn't have anything to do with the rest of the film. There's also some Grudge looking ghost girl that had no point in being there. Half of the movie is the mundane leading woman's dreams which is a typical supernatural horror movie cop out. The flashbacks of their therapy sessions were almost comical since the therapist in the scenes never said anything while the couple argued. Finally the "twist" ending was such a lame attempt at being The Others it was laughable and just left unanswered questions. When did the little girl actually drown? How did she murder everyone? And most importantly they never even say she died yet she's a ghost in the end. And of course since she's a murderer let's usher her into the bright light at the end. What a joke. This movie was forgettable at best but basically just terrible. As far as British horror goes they should leave horror for the Japanese since they're a million times better at it. Though Eden Lake is probably the best British horror film I've seen this film was crap.
329 out of 584 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
unusual horror drama
sammyking-9333812 August 2017
Well this indie did its job in the horror genre and the drama genre for that it worked well and it was quite unusual too. The score was perfect for the tone of the movie and the actors were quite good too, the landscape where this was set was truly amazing and gave it more of a Gothic type tone, the ghostly images were OK and the darker feel really gave this indie a good take on a genre overdone so many times yet this still gave it a fresh take on a horror flick.
345 out of 614 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Above average ghost tale
ninadelph27 May 2018
Today most horror films are so easy to tell what is coming next but with 'whispers' it follows that pattern but does something slightly different. For one i was expecting a totally ghostly ending but they fooled me and went the other way which worked all the more. I liked the look of the film and slow build but in some places it could have taken more risks but for the ghostly tale and tragic loss of the main characters daughter they nailed it on this occasion. I will add this to my horror collection and put it with mystery and dramatic titles so was worth buying on Amazon to watch again or rent to my horror fan friends.
52 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
almost Gothic horror and it works
jakehill-5610213 September 2017
Whispers is a British horror mystery that feels a little Gothic yet still ghostly, the reason a film like this was captivating to me was simply because it was a basic story, but done a little different at times. The setting is awesome and the mystery was enough for a horror drama, the story starts with a backstory that later on makes sense to the rest of the film and blends it very well with a nice ending. The movie is not your typical run of the mill horror but it does its job and the title ''Whispers'' was a good name that fits the bill and there are far worse flicks out there than this.
354 out of 635 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
British ghost drama with nice surprises
ireneanderson-910601 June 2018
Having just watched 'The Uninvited' i found this film also felt more drama than horror but was done again in a unsettling way which eventually feels like horror and rewards the audience with a quality end to the story. This again had a lead female but worked along well with the said story which delivers a few scares and dark angles. Once again a really cool location made you up the feel of the film that in the end qualifies for above average flick.
43 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
a very good movie what is with all of the fake reviews wow jealous haters are obvious
lornawhite-0138019 July 2017
After watching this suspense/ horror it is very obvious that the negative messages or reviews are so fake, were they watching the same movie well i guess they never even saw it that is the plain and realistic truth of the matter. So despite the losers who do this all of the time because they are wanna be film critics which is so hilarious to me thinking that the people who do see the film will be swayed, well i was one and it did not work. This film is a well put together ghost thriller that carries you all the way to the finale with a quite shocking ending well to me i thought so, it is very much like most English filled ghost movies not always super fast like our American horror films but always comes up with the goods at the end. Acting was good enough also the CGI was OK in spots that merits the said story. If you are in the mood for a drama/thriller with a ghost story this is for you.
354 out of 642 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Whispers Review
patrickbale-518154 August 2017
I will start by saying this is a nicely done movie that was engaging all the way to the end. The story was a little different and served its purpose well, the actors were good and i appreciated a good end to a well told and different horror story. So to the people who hated it i guess you have no taste in good horror.
334 out of 614 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't believe the ratings
williamszachary523 June 2017
seriously i don't understand how this got so many good ratings its really awful, its slow boring and cheesy, the cinematography is lazy and outdated, the shots are basic, the actors are clearly armatures, there is no plot to speak of, and the 'death' at the beginning is unclear and undeserving of emotion. I'm not even sure who died, but everyone seems to blame the five year old for some reason, not sure how that makes fracking sense, but okay. the weird scenes of the therapy sessions are oddly close in space, all three of them are practically sitting on each other laps. very creepy, in fact that may be the only creepy thing in the movie, certainly not the lame ass reflections of the little girl/melted gremlin that is running around the house not paying rent or doing any chores ungrateful little brat. its bad
314 out of 587 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
have the people who wrote the trashed reviews watched the film or are they hating because its a female horror i bet i am right
amydawn-7023514 July 2017
So watching this movie the other night proves one thing that its quite clear that if a film is written, directed and staring a female its an automatic trashing from the reviews I have read regarding this film from mostly male guys. I will put the record straight here now, this was so well done and i say great job girls on this film yes there were men in the film and the husband character was great too but its so nice to see a female horror film with the women taking the lead in all aspects. To me this happens all of the time as it appears this is a WAR in Hollywood right now which seriously needs to be addressed very quickly. So even if this was geared for the male audience i would still like the film as it was tragic, emotional, and quite scary in many ways, i liked the fact that you were given the backstory of the female character then the switch to present day or 20 years later then you were given the set up for the whole film to breakdown and it was done nicely. The feel here is for sure a tragic dark story with scares and surprises and it is very clear that the people who rated it 1 have not seen this film or who have a brain the size of a spec of dust. Love these kind of film even if it is mainly around female actors.
336 out of 633 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not for everyone but still liked it
greenjamie-3328920 June 2017
So I did a double header of horror movies tonight and enjoyed both films this one is a good film but I would have liked the pacing to have been just a tad quicker which is OK as most British themed horrors do have a slow edge to them I notice. But the good and the bad, the good was a decent story and good acting and nice music at times, the bad it sometimes was a little drawn out but for me I appreciated that fact some will not although I have seen some ghost told stories and they only get going right at the end this was nicely shot too and the countryside was truly beautiful where they filmed this. The tension I liked with pretty decent effects and cool underwater scenes to mix it in as well.

A good well rounded ghost addition.
294 out of 551 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A good weird horror
jameshann27 July 2017
This was a mix of good and wired horror but I did enjoy it that is for sure. I always appreciate a film that offers the viewer different endings and this did that as I was feeling something different but surprised me for the better. My overall summary is solid, mysterious, and dramatic in places but done well.
348 out of 658 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Do Not Rent or Buy
allancordray14 April 2017
This movie's reviews (9/10) (8/10) are the biggest troll job since you tubers were rick rolling folks. The camera is literally being walked around the actors in many scenes, the quality is worse than soap operas, the story would have been OK with a higher budget and a director to push the actors and get some actual emotion out of them. Poorly executed I've seen a better horror movie filmed with an iPhone (literally). The CGI (what little there is is completely disappointing and the other ghostly figures just look like mud people from Woodstock. The sound affects come from a soundboard you can download for any smart phone (i.e. The squeaky gate in the trailer and other sounds like the "mommy" cries) the music and voices seem like they can't coincide in this film and they must have used a tape recorder in a conference room to record the actors lines and dub over for the film.
299 out of 564 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
better than the norm
linseywest5 September 2017
This indie ghost flick held its own and was slightly better than the usual stuff thrown in our faces today firstly a slightly different story but lets face it how can you do a horror movie these days that is not different from all the rest. But this was a nice move to change things up at the end and reveal the wife is the ghost/killer and throw a curve, so the film is about a husband and wife losing there child moving away or returning to there childhood home and being haunted by ghosts or a demon in this case from the past where you get the backstory earlier. Its for sure a change on many horror films out there but a good watch in the end.
335 out of 635 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
solid horror
sarawestwood-819398 August 2017
Watched this on DVD and thought it was good. It did some different things from your usual type of horror movies which was a cool touch, it delivers on many levels would have liked more ghostly things but still was enough to satisfy myself. So my review would be a solid horror with a few different twists that has a sometimes slow feel but nonetheless does its job well!! The conclusion was cool when you realize the wife killed everyone and was a ghost!
356 out of 681 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A film that is so bad that there is no question whatsoever that the good reviews are all fake
Jon-Targaryen18 June 2017
Have you ever come across a film so bad that you sit there glued to your chair in complete amazement of how exactly it came to be on a diskette, and wondering what you have done so wrong in your life that you are now paying by watching it? If you have not, then I suggest you watch this disaster in movie-making.
283 out of 543 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
what is with all the ratings of 1?
jerrygold-754968 June 2018
This flick was a pretty decent ghost horror drama that centre's around a couple losing there child and has ghostly apparitions throughout.. So for the life of me reading the reviews it is clear that a troll is so against this film or completely jealous of a well done film. The critics are mostly positive regarding this also and i feel its a deserving of a 7 rating although i would have given a 9 but only due to the fact that i like more terror in a horror but that is just my thought on it.
42 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Haunting
sophieharris-119768 July 2017
Many of today's horror films are always full of teenagers with badly done CGI and more importantly bad acting. This horror haunting was a different approach to the genre and did it on its own terms, the story is about a couple recovering from the loss of there daughter and for that reason move to an isolated mansion in the English countryside. A great set up for a convincing set up later, so the scares are good the acting is above average for this genre and the premise different to the usual horror film. The suspense was quite good at times you do feel for the lead character who is clearly losing her mind but is she? For those reasons this does a neat and well delivered story even if certain scenes have been done before but here with its own delivery and satisfying end.
373 out of 736 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
good horror
samhowe-2915924 June 2017
Nicely done horror with human emotion, the key to a film like this is the acting and it was all above from all of the cast when telling this kind of story it is important to believe what is going on and credit for the good story and directing from a female which i liked the tone here was a typical horror type but worked especially for the ending as i was feeling a different approach but still was a charm indeed.
371 out of 736 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.