Call the Midwife (TV Series 2012– ) Poster

(2012– )

TV at its best
vivnista20 February 2012
If you want history at its truth, watch a documentary. As entertainment this show has it all. Every episode has had me in tears from either laughter or poignancy. The casting is perfect and beautifully shot. It really shows the diverse community that has embedded itself in our culture today. Who cares if the docks were not in the right place! The show is about people coming together in tough times and bonding with a community regardless of class and colour. It makes me yearn for that kind of spirit in todays world where everyone has so much and yet is never satisfied. I really hope the BBC invest in a new series - I already miss Miranda!
109 out of 114 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
LOVE LOVE LOVE this show!!
mecarmichael-868-18289912 December 2013
I have to say I am a bit of a BBC miniseries junkie. So, I am always looking for a new world to jump into. I have to say that "Call the Midwife" is one of the best series I have seen. I am enchanted by the young girls and their commitment to caring for their community. And what makes it even more perfect is that they work alongside nuns and can see the world through their eyes. I watch this show over and over again hoping to be dazzled once again (and I always am). I don't know how accurate it is (I have not studied the time), but I do think it is a fantastic commentary on poverty, the role of women, and social class differences. If this were only a drama I wouldn't watch it again and again. But the humor (CHUMMY!!) and the light hearted moments among the business of birth is perfect! Truly, I would love to drop myself into that time and live simply where my only goal was to help women and love people well. You will thoroughly enjoy this show it sisterhood, faith, love, and courage interest you.
57 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Reminds me
zena-126 January 2014
As I was a student nurse in the East End of London during the mid fifties,(now an ex-pat living in Mexico) this series brings back many memories. I'm glad that some episodes include general nursing and even male patients as well as midwifery. Perhaps doctors were not always as good as the nurses in those days.I even remember an anaesthetist who sat doing his crossword puzzles during operations and no one dared utter a word of reproach.

Now that the East End is suddenly fashionable, even Shoreditch and Brick Lane, what has happened to Wapping where I trained and which used to be so scruffy?

One thing has changed for the better. In those far off days when a woman was admitted with an attempted abortion, euphemistically called "incomplete abortion", the police had to be notified and a policewoman would sit by the bed (drinking tea with the night nurse) until the unfortunate patient (who probably already had half a dozen children at least) was well enough to be arrested.
38 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Faith in humanity
black-and-gold3 January 2014
Whether or not this series' depiction of the East End in the 50's is completely accurate or not seems of little relevance to me. The characters are very likable and the acting, even by the guest actors, is brilliant. However, the main reason I love and wholeheartedly recommend Call the Midwife is because it is so well written, without avoiding the harsh realities of life yet filled with hope and incredible human connection. Miraculously, it manages this without ever becoming cheesy. Every episode leaves me feeling proud to be a human being. I don't think many TV series are able or even try to achieve this and it feels especially important in our times when faith in humanity seems to be in decline.
29 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very enjoyable, if divergent from the book.
geoffcoo5 February 2012
I would have scored 10 for this series, except for the fact that it doesn't truly follow the accounts written in the book from which it is taken.

Some of the diversions from the book are to allow the characters other than Jenny Lee to have stronger story lines, which I can accept to an extent. But some of the story lines have been expanded for dramatic effect, so they are not relying upon the original author's memoirs, but rather the imagination of the scriptwriters, which I think is somewhat regrettable.

Having said that I am finding the series entirely watchable, and enjoyable. All the cast seem to be good, but I must say I am most impressed with Miranda Hart as Chummy, what a brick she is.
48 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Realistic, modern, seductive and deep, with poignant moral questions.
maria-ricci-198317 August 2016
**UPDATE AFTER SEASON 6: If I could mark 11 stars, that would be it. The episodes about the Thalidomide children were hard but very well focused and treated. I am intrigued at how they film the scenes with just born babies in the very hands of the actors, with wide shots, not just close-ups. Call the Midwife is a most humanistic show indeed, focused on believable, realistic positive values. In a time when humanism seems to be disgraced and devalued everywhere, it is most welcome in my screen.***

This show is extraordinary.

It portrays so vividly the changes of an era in Great Britain, when the latter half of the 20th century blasted into people's daily lives at poor East End London, with all its hopes, marvels, progress, and shifts from a traditional to a modern lifestyle.

The performances are brilliant; the characters are as lovable as well-written; the atmosphere is perfectly recreated, and though quite serious health and social issues are crudely shown along the episodes, the tone is always permeated with hope, love and joy of living.

We do not come from a Christian upbringing, and I am not a Catholic, but I strongly sympathize with the humanistic and sensible approach of Nonnatus House's team of nuns and midwives, where tolerance, acceptance and care for life ranks higher than dogma or empty beliefs.

It is very hard to write a really deep, philosophical and poetic show while maintaining a light-hearted spirit and lots of humour, and Call the Midwife really makes it in a masterly way.

I have to say it gets better and better as the seasons pass, always intertwining the main characters' personal stories and individual cases with relevant and updated issues of public health and bioethics.

By the way, the admirable British public health system, which made wonders in the 50s and 60s and promoted equal access to safety, well-being and human development, also becomes a magnificent political statement in our own age, all the more appreciated in a retrospective look.

There is nothing to complain about of this show, which exerts an honest, compelling, deeply satisfying magnetism on viewers.

For those of us who love motherhood, babies and pregnancies, there is the unique plus of rejoicing at the sight of so many just born babies at the moment of delivery, in a remarkably natural and non-sensationalist feat of cinematography. You can feel the unmistakable miracle of life in each episode, with its sufferings and joys, which is so unusual among a current TV grid full of violence, special effects, overt sex, glorified evil and frenzied action.

Kudos to BBC! Yes, they have made it again, once more!
14 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
BBC Does It Again
plutus194723 January 2012
The first two reviewers say the way the BBC portrayed the East End of London is incorrect.

Although I was around in the 50s I was not brought up in the East End so cannot comment about that.

Putting this portrayal aside, although I am surprised the BBC would fall down on the historical detail, I was delighted to see that Auntie Beeb has once again commissioned another well worthwhile period drama.

SPOILER BEGINS

Call The Midwife is set in late 50s East End of London and is, as the title suggests, about a group of midwives who deal with the welfare of pregnant women and of course deliver their babies.

SPOILER ENDS

The series is based on the memoirs of Jennifer Worth who worked as a midwife in London's East End during the 50s, and beyond but who sadly died in 2011.

The cast is extremely well put together which includes the inimitable Pam Ferris who is a midwife, but also a nun, Judy Parfit, also a nun but is apparently slipping into senility and Jenny Agutter, yet another nun.

Together with these and other nuns are the midwives who share a home with the nuns.

There is some very graphic detail in the series regarding the birth of the babies which can be quite harrowing but at the same time extremely enlightening.

Jessica Raine who plays Jenny Lee is well suited to the starring role but for me the midwife I have truly fallen in love with is Chummy, played by Miranda Hart.

SPOILER BEGINS

When Chummy arrived she appeared to be accident prone and had only just scraped through her final exams.

Sister Evangelina (Pam Ferris) was Chummy's biggest critic but when the chips were down and Chummy had to deliver her very first baby on her own, which was a very difficult breech birth, she showed her true colours and Sister Evangelina had to acknowledge that Chummy was a very valuable addition to team.

One of the plots concerned Conchita Warren, played by Carolina Valdes. This is Carolina's debut on British TV. She had previously only appeared in three Spanish short films. She plays the Spanish wife of painter and decorator Len Warren played by Tim Faraday. Conchita is a Spanish Civil War veteran but cannot speak a word of English.

She has had 24 (twenty four) children and is expecting her 25th. All her children have survived and she is the epitome of motherhood. The love of each and every family member toward each other simply oozes out of the Warren household.

There is a major problem when Conchita gives birth to her 25th child and I must admit these scenes were highly poignant.

Although Carolina Valdes apparently has had a very limited TV acting career thus far she proved herself a very capable actress whilst playing the extremely difficult part of Conchita

SPOILER ENDS

All in all this drama has the potential to become an extremely popular series.

One thing that struck me was although the series is set only 54 years ago how primitive midwifery was back then, even though the National Health Service had been set up by then, but only nine years earlier.

What made up for this though is the total dedication the midwives had in their vocation and the care, and indeed love they gave to their expectant mothers and aftercare to the new born babies.

Well done again Auntie Beeb.
32 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Call the Midwife: Season Two Review
steelergirl8329 July 2013
After the introduction to the series last year, I didn't think it could be topped, but with it's sometimes gritty, always touching stories Call the Midwife, Season Two has proved the series has staying power. It's easy to see why Call the Midwife is so popular in the States and abroad. Stories of sisterly bonds among friends and the miracle of childbirth never get old.

Following the life of young midwife, Jenny Lee, this series is set barely a year following her arrival at Nonnatus House in London's East End. Judging by the title you may guess that this is a series about midwifery but it is so much more. From episode to episode, there are a variety of themes from poverty, to love to faith, family, and friendship. The stories have a nostalgic feel but each episode has themes that are relevant to this day. While there IS a lot pertaining to maternity care and nursing and the hardships that come with it, there's always an unflagging sense of hope.

Each of the characters, the nurses, the nuns, and the residents of the East End; have their own special charms which are brought to life by a fine cast including veteran actors Jenny Agutter, Pam Ferris, and a personal favorite, Stephen McGann. Jessica Raine is a brilliant actress. It has been a joy to see what she brings to the role of Nurse Lee in each episode. She plays the competent, confident midwife well. She's evolved from the rather innocent and naive girl in season one. Having seen her in other brilliant roles outside of Call the Midwife (Doctor Who, etc.) she's fast becoming one of my favorite young actresses.

While the series centers around Jenny Lee, my favorite character by far is Camilla Cholomondley-Browne -- also known as Chummy. She provides brilliant comic relief. Kind of uncomfortable in her own skin in the first season, it's lovely to see her come out of her shell and bloom while still keeping her ever present sense of humor. Actress Miranda Hart truly brings Chummy to life in all the best ways. For Chummy, this second series represents more than just a changes that affect her life and Constable Noakes's life but also huge changes for all at Nonnatus House. There was more than a couple romances that unfolded, one being a total shock! Since I'm such a hopeless romantic, it did my heart good to see all the love in the air.

There is so much more to this series than I ever expected. It's drama, it's heartache but also about laughter and finding one's true calling. All in all, this series is unbeatable and refreshing in every way. With three additional episodes, including a Christmas special, up from last years six episode tally, this series is sure to please fans of the show and hopefully bring new fans on board. If you enjoy "extras", the Blu- ray and DVDs feature fun cast interviews and stories about how the series came to be and the best part -- 10 additional minutes per episode that didn't air in the US! This series is a must own for British TV fans and anyone looking for a superb, feel-good show to add to their DVD collection.

*I received a complimentary copy from the publisher/publicist for review purposes. I received no compensation. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255.*
16 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The milk of human kindness
graduatedan7 July 2016
It's hard to believe that anyone could be as compassionate and tender as the midwives in Call the Midwife, compassion and tenderness being rare qualities in the increasingly disconnected world of the 21st century. I suspect those qualities are a real incentive for even the casual viewer of this series, which depicts the lives of midwives toiling in the east London of the late 50s- early 1960s. The world of almost 60 years ago was a very different one from today, both from a social and technological standpoint. I'm impressed by the attention to detail in the series, which allows viewers to immerse themselves in the stories, which touch upon issues such as abortion and incest, as well as the then real threats of polio and tuberculosis. More recent stories have even addressed the thalidomide tragedy. The acting is, without exception, top notch, especially that of Judy Parfitt as Sister Monica Joan. I tend to be especially critical of shows that rely on lachrymose sentimentality to further the story. Call the Midwife is at times tender, sweet tempered and, well, nice, but never false as it displays the panorama of the human condition.
12 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good entertainment
bbewnylorac22 October 2012
Season 5 of Call the Midwife is a cracker. After a massive slump for a few years, the quality of the plots and writing has really improved this year. The series' chief fault continues to be how treacly some of the dialogue is. The voice-over at the start and at the end is still very cheesy. They don't have to scrap it, just make it less sugary. And some of the nurses and nuns spout moralistic phrases that sound like they come straight from the pages of an Enid Blyton children's novel. That said, I've been impressed by the ensemble acting, the beautifully detailed sets, locations and costumes, and most of all, the story lines. Some meaty topics have been covered this season, from typhoid to thalidomide, sexual assault, contraception, lesbian relationships, mothers who covered up for their teenage pregnant daughters, and single mothers whose married lovers abandoned them. It's all great stuff, much of it still relevant in the modern era. Helen George, as nurse Trixie Franklin, has been outstanding this season; she's really outshone Charlotte Ritchie, as Nurse Barbara. Cynthia (Bryony Hannah) has gone on a very interesting journey from midwife to nun, and continues to be very likable. I love how the older nurses and nuns also get generous screen time. Dr Patrick Turner (Stephen McGann) must be the most thoroughly good doctor character on TV and the actor always looks like he's having a good time. Dr Turner does have one fault - it's alarming to watch him puff away on the cigarettes in the consulting room, and no one bats and eyelid! His wife, Scottish nun turned nurse Shelagh Turner (Laura Main), is just too good to be true! She is adorable, but surely she must have some faults! Similarly, chief nun Sister Julienne (Jenny Agutter) is more or less a saint; saying nothing but words of wisdom. But it is refreshing that someone with that much integrity is a central character in a series. Bless her heart. One of my favourites continues to be the naughty, very old, and possibly demented Sister Monica Joan (Judy Parfitt) who has enormous fun, just hanging around the convent, doing and saying exactly what she pleases.
32 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wonderful
empress_of_red_roses27 December 2013
I recently found this series on Netflix and instantly fell in love with it. I have never read the books, so I have nothing else to go by. The characters are fabulous. The actors/actresses are amazing. I think every episode has made me both laugh and cry, and I'm looking forward to more!

Some of the episodes can be hard to watch, especially since I am pregnant, and I think that anyone feeling overly anxious about their pregnancy may want to hold off watching this series, because it really shows the good, the bad, and the ugly sides of pregnancy and child birth.

I found one major goof that had me laughing: In one episode they mention knitting blanket squares, and people are shown knitting them. When assembling the squares to make a blanket what they actually have are crocheted granny squares.
15 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful story for women, but with too many changes from the books
Catharina_Sweden4 April 2013
This is a wonderful television series for women of all ages! Somehow the subject of child-birth, and everything around it, never stops fascinating. Whether you are a young woman with it all in front of you, or past child-bearing age - it is forever interesting! :-) This series really have it all: humour and high drama, sorrow and happiness, love of all kinds, interesting characters, and a touch of religion. It is also educating: you learn a lot about midwifery, medicine, and modern history.

The actors are all great for their parts - I could not find fault with anyone of them! I could relate most easily to Miranda Hart/Chummy, as I am also tall for being a woman - or at least I was considered very tall when I was young. (Nowadays there are quite a few young girls the same height as I.) I can still remember the problems with people staring and having to comment on my height, with many otherwise interesting men being shorter than myself, the feeling of being ungainly, the self-doubts... In fact, I also had dreams of entering a convent from exactly the wrong reasons - just the same as Chummy (to get out of the love-searching once and for all, and not having to think about it anymore).

The reason I am not giving this series 10 stars, though, is that I have read the books, and I think the television producers have changed too much. I can in some cases see that the revised version of an event makes better television - but as the books are supposed to be non-fiction, I think this was still wrong. There can still be real people out there who are alive, and have to watch important memories from their youth or child-hood pictured in the wrong way.
22 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love it
mmsbk10 October 2012
I do agree with those reviewers who have pointed out that this is not a documentary but a drama. Yes indeed some details are wrong ( I grew up in the UK in this era so have some knowledge of it, tho not quite so grindingly poor) True, that the nuns are not, to me, very believable, appearing, apart from the lovely chanted prayers, to have no spiritual life or discipline at all . Still they are good TV , though not as utterly great TV as Miranda Hart as Chummy. I think it unlikely that Lady Fortescue Cholmondley -Brown would have capitulated as easily as she did, but who cares .It was worth it if only for Chummy's line "Sorry Mater, not entitled any more" when exhorted to wear white for her wedding...
20 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
As good as anything in many, many years on Masterpiece
thrall728 April 2014
My wife and I have been regular viewers of PBS' various British dramas for more than 40 years. I believe that "Call the Midwife" stands with anything that PBS has shown in that time. The cast is outstanding, and is aided by terrific writing. The producers and writers have done a very good job of pulling stories from the books, and presenting an element of 20th Century London history that most American viewers knew nothing about. There is a wonderful blend of humor, sadness, and an overall sense of time and place that is rarely achieved in TV dramas. I have particularly liked the sensitive portrayal of the sisters throughout the series, since (believe it or not) my mother had studied to become a nun. They are consistently shown as a complete person, not characterized as stiff and robotic people. If you haven't read the books the series is based upon, try them. You will see how faithfully the producers have followed them. A wonderful series!
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I remember London in 1957
barbara-36416 January 2012
I was a schoolchild in London in 1957, so I watched this programme expecting to see the London I remember recreated. I had to go to school on the tube and underground. I was from north London, but quite a few of my school friends came from East London. When I went to tea with them after school, their homes were clean and perfectly respectable. One thing I do remember though, was the warehouses and the docks were strictly out of bounds, although we could, and did, play on the bomb sites. I still have friends who were brought up in East London in the 1950s. I think this series is based on the exceptional cases rather than the normal ones. Certainly there were homes in the area, which had survived the bombing and had outside toilets and tin baths. In my experience, my friends' Mums kept their flats immaculately clean inside. The, houses, warehouses and the dock walls were all blackened with soot from the railways. 1957 was before the clean air act and fogs and smogs were common. It was good to see people getting about by bicycle, cars were few in the 1950s and mostly black saloons. I don't remember meeting or seeing any exceptionally large families. All the friends and family I had and now have, who were born and brought up in east London, are either only children, or have one or two siblings. I will watch the rest of the series with interest.
42 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
BEST PROGRAM ON TELEVISION - YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED
DreamyOneNumber114 April 2018
Call the Midwife is an awesome series, and probably the best currently on television. The story lines are excellent and seems to be, for the most part, historically correct and accurate.

This series is based on the best-selling memoirs, Call the Midwife, by Jennifer Worth, who died six months before the first episode aired. The series depicts, in part, and has been expanded upon, her work as a district nurse and midwife in the East End of London during the 1950's and 1960's. Obviously, story lines needed to be expanded to create a long-running series such as this, but that does not hinder the enjoyment of the program, and in fact, probably adds to it, as it allows for development of new and existing characters.

Every single cast member is believable. The acting of everyone is phenomenal and realistic. The writers have done an exceptional job with the scripts. The sets seem to be relatively accurate for the time period. You couldn't ask for a better more realistic series.

While some reviewers have complained that this strays away a little from the memoirs, I can't see that anyone could expect a long running series not do so. When Jennifer Worth was writing her memoirs, she was writing them as a memoir and not in preparation for a long running television probgram. For this to have worked for television, , more needed to be added, and the script writers have done it in an exceptional way.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Best Series Since Downton
zuzuspetals7000016 July 2017
At the risk of gushing about this series, I can't even begin to put in words how wonderful "Call The Midwife" is. For many of us who are mid-century babies, these women -- both nurses and the maternity patients -- are very much like our own mothers in those years. Even the soundtrack can take you back decades in a single song note - - my Mom and Dad's music. There are some reminders, too, about what parents no longer have to face, like polio, diphtheria, thalidomide, epidemics of measles (I was caught up in one in the early 60s, remember it vividly and it was horrible. They thought I might lose my sight and thus was kept in a darkened room for which seemed like an eternity.) It's a blessing my children and others never had to go through any of it.

There are wonderful actors throughout the series, many kudos to the casting director. The wonderful Judy Parfitt is my favorite as the mischievous but lovable Sister Monica Joan but her role is, at times, heartbreaking as she descends and ascends through stages of dementia sometimes confused but always eloquent -- an octogenarian Ophelia. I'm very impressed with the actress, Jessica Raine. She plays Nurse Jenny Lee with a great range of emotions without making it maudlin or silly. I'm also struck by her uncanny resemblance to a young (and beautiful) Judy Garland -- even if Garland's looks came at the expense of surgery. Helen George as Trixie is great and perfect as the 1960s modern girl. (She reminds me so much of my older cousins at that time though they were much sillier.) Miranda Hart is AHmazing as Chummy! And, of course, you can't not mention Cliff Parisi as Fred Buckle with his many "schemes." Halfway through the series, Nurse Phyllis Crane (Linda Bassett) is introduced. She may rub wrong at first but her heart is just as golden as the others. She also played in another favorite of mine, the series "From Lark Rise to Candleford" as the wonderful and wise Queenie. And throughout these immaculately told stories is the redoubtable Jenny Agutter as Sister Julienne, always kind and stalwart.

There have been some comments on whether London's East End in the 50s and 60s has been portrayed accurately. I don't know about then but when living in London in the 70s, I had been through the slums and what is shown on the show is a bit on the rosy side. But then again it is television.

Don't miss out on this series. You'll be missing out on so very much. And especially on some well told stories about humanity, the goodness of people's hearts, the heartbreak we all face and that life goes on.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very nice show. I am in the United States.
gkeith_111 January 2014
Call the Midwife. 10/10. Yes, I like this series very much. These are some of my observations. I am in the U.S., and we always see the British TV series later, ala Downton Abbey, which I also watch. I DVR both Midwife and Downton.

I thought the 2013 Midwife Christmas Special was way too gloomy and sad and not a whole lot of the episode spent on the holiday season. I don't remember a lot of the details (erased the DVR entry), but was this the episode where Sister Bernadette (former) marries Dr. Turner? If so, that was a good highlight. I did not like to see her leave the convent, but yet she was a lovely bride and looked very happy. Dr. Turner looked very happy, as well as his son Timothy.

I have seen some very scary childbirth scenes in Call the Midwife. I realize upon reading some backstage reports that some of the newborn infants are fake and some are real. The women screaming in the painful agony of childbirth: I turned down the sound when my husband was in the room. He would not understand. He is my second husband, and was not part of my life when I had two sons (now grown) with my first husband. The screaming sounds real. It is so heartbreaking. One poignant day was when Nurse Cynthia births a baby who ends up deceased. Cynthia feels it is all her fault, and that she did something wrong. Only later is it revealed that the baby passed away from undeveloped lung structures.

The racism of the poor white women was appalling. Here was a kindly African woman in the throes of labor, and they wanted to ignore her. The actress who portrayed her was very good and convincing.

Of course, Chummy has the greatest humor (IRL well-known comedienne in UK), and naturally awesome one-liners. Her love affair with the constable was heartwarming. When Chummy hit him on her bicycle, that was so uproariously hilarious yet painfully embarrassing. He didn't get angry or call his lawyer, but he was instantly enamored of and attracted to her. They began a courtship, ending of course in their delightful wedding and her subsequent breech-birth (?) delivery of their son Fred - named after the convent's motor scooter-teaching and pig-raising handyman (I think he is the handyman, but I am not sure).

Judy Parfitt is a trip. The being lost, the stealing, the astrology, the phone answering and then forgetting what was said -- was there any name for Alzheimer's/dementia back then? Senility maybe.

Nurse Jenny is sweet. Sister Julienne (actress) I saw as a teenager in The Railway Children. Judy Parfitt I saw as the Queen in Ever After with Drew Barrymore. Vanessa Redgrave (unseen) I saw in Evening (TV) plus Camelot. The other sisters I had not seen before. Sister Evangelina's tart tongue reminds me of Mrs. Patmore on Downton Abbey. Trixie and Cynthia I like, also Jane. Jimmy is nice.

My own childbirths were early 1970s, U.S. I had general anesthesia with one, and spinal with the other. Both sons survived. They were delivered in the best hospital in our city, so I was told. The labors were quite painful, so some of these memories come back during Call the Midwife. Kudos to this series. Hope it continues for a long time.

7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hooked! And loving it!
bisquitlips-8925827 June 2017
Obviously I am a man, and will say without any hesitation that we are hooked on this series! My wife and I are best friends and there is nothing more we enjoy than finding a good British series to immerse ourselves together. We have done this for many years, initially finding them in our travels to Britain, and find that British shows seem to "out weigh" our American television on many levels.

The subject matter is really unique and absorbing and the acting superb! The complexity of the characters and their interaction, the humor, the secrets, the context, and the weight and undercurrents of its gracious messages have impacted us and continue to do so.

So many times it seems that these British series don't last and are canceled just as we are dedicated to them. It is rewarding to see "Call the Midwife" continuing on and we hope it does so for many years to come. We will continue to be fans as long as "Call the Midwife" lives!
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love Call the Midwife
ebbtide4825 January 2015
Call the Midwife is one of the best BBC programs I have watched and I have seen many. The acting is superb,the stories are well written. There is always something going on which affects almost every member of the cast in each episode. It is a story that goes in many directions but then comes together at the end.

Truth be told, I think it is a program that will attract more women than men simply because of the topic dealt with in every program. There is always at least one birth and they are filmed in such a way as to be very believable without being graphic,as we know they are not a real birth. Watching it,however,makes you believe it is. Well done BBC. I love it!
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A truly compelling drama series
aimeecottle16 September 2016
Despite the deviations from the original book by Jennifer worth I truly enjoy watching this programme. As a midwife myself I find it really difficult to watch any TV show that portrays pregnancy and child birth due to the often inaccurate and unlikely events that unfold. Call the midwife is the only programme I can watch that portrays childbirth without shouting and screaming at the TV wishing the researchers had put more effort in.

spoiler alert :-

The show highlights not only the difficulties faced by maternity services in the 50s but also the development and progression of services with the introduction of the NHS and the move away from home birth and towards hospital deliveries. The deliveries are mostly realistic and show many complications that women face that just aren't written about in other TV shows such as inverted uterus, eclampsia, still birth and babies born with abnormalities.

The characters are endearing and the story lines have often left me in tears of sadness and joy. Each episode is an emotional roller coaster. A real pleasure to watch.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
progression of show
josephinefantauzzi3 August 2016
i have not read the book but i adore this show though i admit it stirs up a lot of emotions at times. i love the stories of each character though i have to say i am disappointed that Jenny still narrates after she leaves in Season 3 and that you don't see Chummy in Season 4 though her husband is still a police officer in Poplar...where did she disappear to? and the baby? i am hoping that Netflix will add Seasons 5 & 6 relatively soon! i do like that there has been a lot diversity in characters and personalities/religions/backgrounds. and i like that they do touch on the historical events of the time (i.e.: Fred talking about the Cold War).
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Season 4
m-gretha-anna6 June 2015
I loved the seasons 1-2-3- I don't like season 4 It not accurate in small things and I find this annoying One can think that modern day's look on things have set in the series. The time the series are covered where a time where everyone smoked everywhere. In all public buildings and rooms I know I was young then. Now in this series though season 1-2-3 where accurate in season 4 it is political correctness that wins. If you make a period drama at least the conditions should be right. Also some furniture is definitely not 50ies and 60ies . It is shame that correctness is political. You cannot like it now But that doesn't mean you can alter history .
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Midwives calling
studioAT27 December 2016
Somewhere along the way 'Call the Midwife' has become the nations favourite drama, often toppling Downton in the ratings and earning a reputation as the must watch programme over Christmas.

The reason for its success on paper is simple. It features good actors, good story lines and is gentle viewing on a Sunday night. It's not afraid to tackle big issues, but there's always humour along the way.

The show has had to change over time, losing its main leading lady in Jessica Raine after series three and then dealing with Miranda Hart's decision to scale back her appearances.

The BBC's decision to commission multiple series ahead of time shows how much 'Call the Midwife' has touched the public's heart.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of my favorite shows. I don't believe there are any spoilers in this but I am pressing the button anyway.
celestahusted2 July 2016
I remember first coming across this show and skipping it over many times before I finally watched the first episode, and from the first few minutes it pulled me in and I watched the first season all in one day.

For those people who are reading this to decide whether they should watch it or not, I ask that you please give this show a chance to become one of your favorites as well!

I am not religious, but I find that it does not mater when it comes to this show though there are a lot of religious material in it, I can still find it enjoyable, because the main focus is on the story's of the births, and the family that was created at the Nonnatus house.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.