Ford v Ferrari (2019) Poster

Puts my faith in the movie business again
g_cotterell16 November 2019
This is what cinema is supposed to be! Amazing chemistry and acting by both leads, seamless CGI and practical effects to enhance the film, a firecracker script, a true story, pulse pounding soundtrack, booming sound mix, and edited so well that 2.5 hours flies by! Completely and utterly engaging . So good in fact I saw it twice within 24 hours . Once in Imax and once in Dolby cinema .
378 out of 404 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Oscar Winning Performance
ymyuseda20 November 2019
Rating 10/10 Inspired movie of the year. It is wonderfully made. A good story well told. Tightly written, well acted and directed. I hope Matt Damon and Christian Bale can winning an oscar awards because he already deliver the character very well. Thank you to all of you because make it this movie so amazing . A masterpiece !!
200 out of 225 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
As close as possible to the truth but!
nickfarf-4269915 November 2019
I was at the Philadelphia Film center premiere on 11/11/19 to view this terrific movie. At the age of 68 and a tifoso of Ferrari since age 8, ( 1959 ), this movie hit a nerve. Truth vs Fiction. This was a David vs Goliath movie, however Goliath wins. The movie recreates a golden era of auto Racing. It was seriously dangerous with death and injury a guarantee at every race. These drivers were absolute warriors and we're fearless. Now Ferrari winning LeMans six straight years in a row from 1960-1965 is actually the David in this movie. Ferrari for all their dominant winning form was still a tiny company that sold fancy $15,000 sportcars to support his racing team. Winning LeMans was a $16,500 team prize. These Ferrari drivers were salaried. The prototype class at that time was wide open with no upper limit on engine size. There was an under 2 liter class that Porsche and Ferrari dino control, but the over 2 liter was unlimited. I read carefully about the Ford move to acquire Ferrari, as daily news reports would cross the associated press. The movie is spot-on about Ford cars lacking desire back then. Chevrolet had the Corvette, Corvair and sporty looking Impala and Chevelle. Now Ford is the Goliath in this movie. They are the big corporate giant with unlimited resources. Ford paid for the Ford GT. It was really a Lola Gt with a Ford badge put on it. Ford put their name on every innovation provided by all the racing/equipment suppliers that went into that race car. Unlike Ferrari being designed, engineered and built handmade in that Italian factory. Ford spent more money on developing a racecar than the total price to buy Ferrari outright. Hired every Nascar team to provide expert pit crews, engine builders and offered 80,000-100,000 to each driver for one race . Now the movie, it's a movie that non race cars fans can and will enjoy. It shows how Shelby and Miles are really the heroes of the winning team. This was true. Their relationship is spot on in the movie and they know what is needed to win. They battle off the track against Ford executives and against Ferrari on the track. What is not disclosed in the movie is the quitting of the Ferrari ace driver John Surtees. When he left Ferrari, the team was devastated. He along with Ford's Ken Miles were two true warriors. Also not shown but lightly covered in the movie is the three years of disastrous outing for the Ford racing team. Did Shelby steal the Ferrari pits stop watches? Did Shelby actually throw spear lug nuts into the Ferrari pit lane to make the Ferrari pit crew think that the race car was missing a nut on the car out on the track? Did Enzo Ferrari actually tip his hat to honor Ken Miles? Who really knows. Everybody is dead. I remember the lug nut rumour in the 1960s, as that was a southern stock car trick. I never heard about the theft of Ferrari stop watches by Shelby. As far as Ferrari tipping his hat. Ferrari was known for or not attending many races. All that aside, did I as a Ferrari fan enjoy this movie. My answer is a Yes, Yes, Yes. With the exception of James Garner in Grand Prix, this is the best movie to deal with the sport of autoracing. Bonus is that it is also a great human interest story and they create the mood of the sixties as U vividly remember it. I rate this movie a ten and should be nominated for Oscars.
211 out of 241 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastic
JimShops-131 August 2019
Just saw F v F at the Telluride Film Festival and it is phenomenal. Perfect performances, incredible visuals and editing, immersive sound, and a riveting story. A real winner. Christian Bale lost 70 pounds Defoe the role and is a delight. Damon is spot on. Catriona Balfe is excellent. All the actors playing Ford executives are excellent as well. Masterful direction from James Mangold. A must see.
230 out of 283 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Filled with Energy
kjproulx10 September 2019
Biopics can be a hard sell at times. Whether you're diving into the troubled life of an addict or exploring someone's sexuality, there are many touchy subjects these days. With that said, I feel there are also those that will stand the test of time, in terms of being able to please a wide audience. Ford v Ferrari is one of the latest true stories out of Hollywood that will be hitting the big screen soon, and here's why I believe it absolutely deserves attention.

Following multiple characters throughout, Ford v Ferrari focussed on the fact that Henry Ford II was given an idea to create the fastest race car in the world. His mission is to take down the likes of the company Ferrari, who have held the title for years. Carol Shelby (Matt Damon) is approached by a member of the Ford team and is recruited, only to be the one finding himself recruiting the driver in Ken Miles (Christian Bale). That's the core premise and there's a lot to dive into from there.

If you're a fan of racing or cars in general, this movie will be for you. This is a very well-directed film by James Mangold, and the racing sequences are quite long, taking up a good chunk of the nearly 150-minute run time. Luckily, they are very intense, practically shot, with a fantastic score to back it up, and sound effects to get your heart pumping. Everything about the exciting aspects of this film was top notch.

Christian Bale and Matt Damon give stellar performances here as the two leading men in the film and I totally bought their rigid friendship that slowly developed. Sadly, without giving anything away, there is an incident that I feel was not explored enough, which slightly took away when a certain moment is meant to impact the movie. Other than that, this is a fantastic movie from beginning to end.

In the end, Ford v Ferrari is engaging, emotional, and downright thrilling when it wants to be. I was invested in these characters and on the edge of my seat during the climactic races. I thoroughly enjoyed my experience with this movie. There is a missed opportunity in terms of emotion during a certain scene, but I was able to forgive that, seeing as the rest of the movie was so impressive. Ford v Ferrari is one of the best movies I've seen so far this year and it will be one to see when it officially releases.
128 out of 165 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An exhilarating and emotional ride
Keemshave21 November 2019
A lot of notes were hit by Ford v Ferrari. The characters are fleshed out very well and give you the emotional attachment you're looking for in a movie. Bale and Damon's performances are great; they pull you into the story and completely disappear into their roles. James Mangold proves, once again, to be a master behind the camera. The action scenes are shot to perfection and will have you biting your nails.

The film's technical aspects were top-notch as well. Wait for this film to be nominated for sound design and editing. These technical aspects, during the climax of the film, will blow your hair back and give you goosebumps.

All in all, this film provides a pleasing experience for the crowd that not many films can even come close to delivering. I loved about every second of it, despite its long runtime.
43 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolutely a 10!
sheldonwiduch4 September 2019
I attended the screening at Fox Studios yesterday and It was so good I want to see it again in IMAX. Christian Bale deserves an Oscar nom and definitely so far, the Best Film of the Year!
126 out of 180 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A must watch if you are a motorhead or a racing fan!
kirankumarfrank4 November 2019
When you think of great sports movies, Rocky, Remember the titans and Rush comes to your mind. This movie won't be know as the best sports movie of all time but would surely be among the top 20. Everything that needs to be said has already been said about the two leading stars in the movie but big shout out to the supporting cast including Jon Bernthal who was great.

The story is good but it's a biographical drama so not much can be changed even though there were few liberties were taken with few facts that were presented.

The sound design was excellent which made your heart race faster when you heard the roar of the Ford GT 40!

Cinematography by Phedon (who was also the cinematographer for the pursuit of happiness) gives us some nice shots of the race which immerses you into action.

I got to watch it as part of secret preview show! It will get few Oscar nominations but doubt it would claim any big prize. Solid 9 out of 10 for me. A must watch if you are a racing fan or a fan of good sports movie.
88 out of 124 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
All Gas, No Brakes
billybacktown21 November 2019
You have to have a big dump in your pants if all you're gonna do is complain about "historical inaccuracies" of a movie. Extremely entertaining film. Great cast, fun movie. Bale crushes it per usual.
31 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
CHRISTIAN BALE
jespor15 November 2019
Jesus Christ - Bale does it again.

Great script, great casting, incredible acting from everyone, but especially Bale.
78 out of 112 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wonderful, and I don't know a thing about cars.
xbushi4 November 2019
The Actors were magnificent, fit their characters so well. They're performances added so much to the movie.

The story, which obviously is a true tell was emotional and I recommend not looking into anything before seeing the film if you don't know already. Though I'm sure if you know the story you'll still enjoy it.

Shot well too. Highly recommend this film.
72 out of 106 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Multiple Oscar nominations incoming!
dip9214 September 2019
Both Matt Damon and Bales performances were fantastic and brilliantly directed by James ( by far his best directed film to date!)

Along with the excellent duo Oscar worthy performances the racing sequences were upmost beautifully made along with the films cinematography!

Im fully confident and expecting multiple Oscar nominations on all fronts for this joyful movie!!
84 out of 130 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Movie keeps you at 7000 rpm
mohdshafiulhaque23 November 2019
Ford V Ferrari is one of the best movies I've seen this year, and for someone who has little interest in cars besides minivans and SUVs, that's saying a lot. Just like the race cars produced by its namesakes, Ford v. Ferrari is sleek and fast; a powerful and expensive machine. A supremely well-balanced combination of corporate rivalry, on-track competitiveness and human drama.
19 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Turbo charged!
jasongkgreen4 November 2019
Nice surprise at the Cineworld secret screening with this. Bale and Damon have great chemistry. I struggled with Bale's UK Northern accent occasionally, but a story of risk, achievement and friendship, with some great driving scenes. Would recommended, especially for any race fans. 8/10
58 out of 91 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bale outshines his character as Miles
shaik21516 November 2019
Honestly I went to watch this movie with zero expectation and knowledge of the plot. The film is a history of Le Mans '66 told with a thrill ride from Bale and Damon with stunning visual racing scenes. James Mangold has done a fantastic job as a director. Worth the watch in a movie theater.
39 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I'd have preferred to see Michael Mann's version, but this is an impressive and heartfelt study of friendship and triumph
Bertaut1 December 2019
Based on A.J. Baime's Go Like Hell: Ford, Ferrari, and Their Battle for Speed and Glory at Le Mans (2009), written by Jason Keller, Jez Butterworth, and John-Henry Butterworth, and directed by James Mangold, Le Mans '66 (released in North American with the equally generic title of Ford v Ferrari) counts Michael Mann as an executive producer. This is notable, as Mann himself has been trying to bring an adaptation of Brock Yates's Enzo Ferrari: The Man, the Cars, the Races (1991) to the screen since at least 1993. Indeed, at one point, Mann's Enzo Ferrari was set to star Christian Bale, before he was replaced with Hugh Jackman. Whether or not it will ever be made is open to speculation, but it seems unlikely in the wake of Mann's involvement with Le Mans '66, an excellently made but unadventurous movie.

Mangold is a fine director, but he's no Mann, nowhere near, and the film did, to a certain extent, leave me pondering what kind of kinetic brilliance Mann would have brought to similar material. In contrast to Mann's body of work, Le Mans '66 could never be accused of breaking any new ground or trying anything especially original - it hits all the beats, it hits them well, but it never strays from the formula. Looking at issues such as friendship, male pride, personal integrity, sticking it to the Man, art v commerce, individuals v corporations; it is, in essence, a thematically broad and aesthetically anonymous pre-auteur theory audience-pleaser made with the technology and aesthetic sensibilities of modernity. And whilst the individual parts may be unsatisfactorily safe and familiar, the whole is unexpectedly accomplished and immensely enjoyable.

The film begins in 1959 as Carroll Shelby (Matt Damon) wins that year's Le Mans, only to be told he has a heart condition and must stop racing. Cut to 1963, and Henry Ford II (a superb Tracy Letts, who steals every scene he's in) has just had an offer to purchase Ferrari rejected and been personally insulted by Ferrari himself (Remo Girone). Livid, Ford II determines to build a car capable of winning Le Mans, which Ferrari has won in 1958, 1960, 1961, 1962, and 1963. Ford Vice President and General Manager Lee Iacocca (Jon Bernthal) contacts Shelby, the last non-Ferrari driver to have won the event, and asks him to design a car. He gets to work but says they'll need a great driver as well as a well-designed car. He reaches out to Ken Miles (Bale), who has a reputation as one of the best drivers in the world, and is renowned for his almost supernatural ability to identify problems in test cars after only one or two laps. However, because of his volatility and unpredictable personality, few want to work with him. He comes on board, but immediately clashes with the Ford executives, particularly Senior Executive Vice President Leo Beebe (Josh Lucas).

Le Mans '66 is somewhat similar to Michael Mann's Ali (2001), insofar as it uses the grandiose moments of history to tell an intimate story - Mangold uses the determination to win Le Mans '66 as the background against which to examine issues such as friendship and the clash between gifted individuals for whom success is its own reward and corporations who don't see value in anything unless it's monetarily successful. Indeed, the argument could be made that the film is actually a commentary on the Hollywood studio system, with Shelby and Miles representing independent filmmakers who love the craft and see the medium as an art-form, whilst the Ford executives represent the studio, always more concerned with the bottom dollar than artistic integrity, always getting in the way of the people who, if left alone to work, could produce something spectacular (we'll ignore the fact that the whole thing feels like it was made by an algorithm designed to hit as many clichéd feel-good moments as possible).

The film is also extremely funny in places, especially in a scene where Shelby shows up at Miles's house, and the two get into a fight on the street. Miles's wife Mollie (an underused Caitriona Balfe) emerges from the house, looks at the two men fighting, goes back inside, and remerges with a garden chair, a drink, and a copy of Better Living. She then sits down to watch the action. It's a hilarious moment, but it's one with great thematic importance - this is very much an androcentric world (Mollie is virtually the only female in the entire film), but for this brief moment, the audience is allowed to pull back and laugh at the utter ridiculousness of competitive maleness - boys will be clichéd boys, always trying to outdo each other, and getting all worked up over something as pointless as a fast car.

This thematic focus, however, is not to say the film ignores the intricacies of racing; on the contrary, there's a huge amount of techno-babble concerning vectors, aerodynamics, the mathematics of torque, the torsion of metal, and the ins and outs of physics. Additionally, although thematically, the focus isn't on the races themselves, there's no denying that the aesthetic design of these scenes is exemplary, albeit familiar. Mann would have done wonders here, but Mangold, cinematographer Phedon Papamichael, and sound designers David Giammarco and Jay Wilkinson have crafted some truly intense moments. For the most part, Mangold and Papamichael avoid any objective shots (for example, there are no overheads giving us a good vantage of the entire race), and there are very few shots showing us something that Miles is unable to see. The scenes aren't shot in the first-person, but our vision is anchored to his. This, of course, contributes to a subjective focalisation and creates the sense of being in the car with him, which brings a default level of intensity, as well as giving the viewer a perfect vantage point from which to see just how fast these guys are going and how difficult what they do actually is.

In terms of problems, there are only two of significance. The first concerns just how safe and rudimentary the film is. Aesthetically, although the race scenes are kinetic and exciting, there isn't anything new or inventive in them; thematically, the film doesn't say anything we haven't heard before; and structurally, it walks a very well-worn path - chances are that everything that you think might happen in Le Mans '66 does happen. This is your basic underdog story, and it adheres rigidly to that template. The character of Beebe is a good example of just how rigidly. In essence, he's a poorly written token villain because you can't have an underdog story without a token villain (usually in the form of bureaucratic interference). In this case, when Mangold feels the need to inject some conflict into proceedings, Beebe will pop up to throw a wrench into the works. His motivation? Apart from some brief references to how he doesn't think Miles is a "Ford man", his antipathy is never explained - the character is a Swiss army knife villain who can be used for multiple purposes, a one-size-fits-all bad guy without an iota of nuance or interiority. The second problem concerns Shelby himself, who is disappointingly one-dimensional (at best), as we learn absolutely nothing about his personal life - for example, the film makes no reference to the fact that by 1963 he was on wife number three (of seven!). Who is the film's Carroll Shelby, and why should non-racing fans care about him? We never get an answer - he's Matt Damon wearing a Stetson and speaking with a Texas drawl. And that's about all the character development he gets.

Although these issues are significant in isolation, the thing about Le Mans '66 is that it's so well made, it rises above the clichéd and overly-familiar nature of many of the individual scenes, resulting in a whole that is very much more than the sum of its parts. A film about friendship and integrity rather than racing, it doesn't take any risks, nor does it bend any rules. Indeed it does nothing that could be labelled innovative. For all that, however, I couldn't help but enjoy it. It won't surprise you, it probably won't move you, it certainly won't change your life, but the storytelling is clear and refined, and the journey is one well worth taking.
15 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Near Perfect Lap
mrmcguinnes4 November 2019
Le Mans '66 is a fast paced thrill ride from beginning to end. It tells the story of how carol shelby and ken miles built a car that could beat Ferrari in 24hr race at Le Mans where they had won the previous 4 years. The biggest strength in this film is the chemistry between the cast, good performances all round from Josh Lucas to Ray McKinnon but the whole film hinges on the chemistry between the two leads. it delivers on that front with the highlights of the film being scenes with Damon & Bale genuinely feeling like two old friends bantering back & forth about cars. Matt Damon does a great job as Shelby but can't help be overshadowed by Christian Bale who steals the movie with his performance as ken miles a man on the journey to find that one perfect lap. James Mangold does a good job with the direction you feel the gear shifts & the tension when the Ford Gt40 screeches it's breaks around right corners. There could probably more ambitious or creative shots in some of the races but in my honest opinion I think the performances Mangold got out of this cast outshines the technical stuff. The writing isn't the best and can come off as cheesy & predictable in certain areas but for the most part I felt it was well written and had a good pace to it. I'd recommend Le Mans '66 it's not 1st place but it's a near perfect lap.
39 out of 69 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A linear story on a circular track - but beautifully done.
bob-the-movie-man20 November 2019
Despite the love affair cinema has had with cars over the years, the sport of motor racing on film has been patchy. Too often the drama on the track has been deluged with melodrama off the track, as in John Frankenheimer's "Grand Prix" from 1966. While recent efforts such as Ron Howard's "Rush" have brought modern filming techniques to better convey the speed and excitement, it is Steve McQueen's "Le Mans" from 1971 that had previously set the bar for realism in the sport. But even there, there were a few off-track love stories to interweave into the action.

I wouldn't hesitate to suggest that "Le Mans '66" is a strong contender for the motor racing high-water mark.

The film was marketed as "Ford v Ferrari" in the US. (What... do the American distributors think their film-goers are so stupid that if "Le" is in the title they will think it sub-titled foreign language??). But it's a valid title, since the movie tells the true story of when Henry Ford... the second... (Tracy Letts) throws his toys out of the pram at Ford's faltering progress. ("James Bond does not drive a Ford". "That's because he's a degenerate!" snaps back Ford, which kind of typifies the problem"). Marketing man Lee Iacocca (Jon Bernthal) persuades retired hot-shot racer Carroll Shelby (Matt Damon) to take Ford's blank-cheque to build a car to win the Le Mans 24 hour race.

Shelby enlists maverick Brit racer Ken Miles (Christian Bale) to help design and drive the next-generation machine. But neither had banked on the interference of the hoards of Ford suits, led by VP Leo Beebe (Josh Lucas). An explosion is imminent! And its not just from the over-heated brake pads!

What's really odd about this film is how linear the story is. While we get to see the family life of Miles (to add necessary context to what follows) these are merely minor diversions. There are no sub-plots or flashback scenes. It just relates the history from beginning to end, enlivened by some of the best and most exciting motor-racing footage put to celluloid.

At a bladder-testing 152 minutes, this really shouldn't have worked. I should have got bored and restless. But I really didn't.

In many ways - bladders aside - I think this will appeal in particular to an older breed of movie-goer. It's a 100% 'sit back in your seat and enjoy' cinema treat.

This is the first film Matt Damon and Christian Bale have made together, and I understand that Damon specifically signed on since he wanted to work with Bale. And there is palpable chemistry there. The movie includes one of the best 'bad-fights' since Colin Firth and Hugh Grant locked horns in the Bridget Jones films. And Damon - never one of the most expressive actors in the world - here really shines.

Bale also appears to be having a whale of a time. Not having to adopt a US accent suits him, as he blasts and swears his way through various UK-specific expletives that probably passed the US-censors by! He often tends to play characters in movies that are difficult to warm to, but here - although suitably spiky and irascible - the family man really shines through and you feel a real warmth for the guy.

There's a strong supporting cast behind the leads, with Tracy Letts' fast-driving breakdown being a standout moment. I wonder how many takes they needed on that for Damon to keep a semi-straight face?! Also impressive as the son Peter Miles is Noah Jupe. If you're wondering where the hell you've seen him before, he was young (Marcus in "A Quiet Place").

Where the film comes alive is on the track, and a particular shout out should to to the technical teams. Cinematography is by Phedon Papamichael ("Walk the Line"), film editing is led by Andrew Buckland and Michael McCusker. And sound mixing - which to my ear was piston-valve perfect - is by Steven Morrow. Also worthy of note is a kick-ass driving soundtrack by Marco Beltrami that genuinely excited. These categories are fearsomly hard to predict in awards season, but you might like to listen out for those names.

If I was going to pick at any faults in the film, it would be that Ford exec Leo Beebe is painted a little too much as a "boo-hiss" pantomime villain in the piece. It could have been perhaps toned down 20% or so.

James Mangold ("Logan"; "Walk the Line") directs in style. From the rather po-faced trailer, you might think this is a "car movie that's not for me". But it really is a tremendously fun movie, with some genuinely laugh-out-loud moments mixed in with edge-of-your-seat action and some heart-rending moments.

Above all, this is a film that really benefits from the wide-screen and sound-system that only a big cinema can provide. As such this goes on my "get out and see it" list without any hesitation! It's going to make my movies of the year: and I'm off to see it again on Saturday!

(Read the full graphical review on One Mann's Movies on the web or Facebook. Thanks).
17 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent acting by the entire cast
whitewr_us24 November 2019
Excellent acting by the entire cast. The race scenes convey the power and danger of the races.
10 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
well done for its genre, but only just, good acting on the part of Bale and Damon
trelerke-politics23 November 2019
I used to race cars, still spend a bit of time on the track, so I know this story, even met some of the actual people involved here (I'm old), and I wanted to really like the movie more than I did. Of course the car porn was fantastic, the casual way in which iconic multi-million dollar cars were placed around the set and even some of the scenes showing the GT40 moving around the airport tarmac were very good. For the latter, they captured speed well here, which is very difficult. So, kudos. But the actual danger involved, although shown to some extent, was not given the attention really needed. I understand the dramatic demands for a movie, but I would think emphasizing the danger would only help. Just to be clear, there were two deaths in a five month period, Miles and Macdonald, although deaths and massive injuries were very common then, these deaths actually had an effect on the racing community. Also, to be clear, the Ford effort was massive, they simply hired the very best in the US to get the GT40 developed. It really was a huge disparity between Ford and any other team. In reality, once Ford got out the kinks, it was a foregone conclusion, no matter that Ferrari made amazing cars. In this regard, little was made of the genius and absolute necessity of Phil Remmington to the entire GT40 project, he was the actual development lead on the car and he was made out to be a Disney -like character, uncle Phil with almost no real role to play. Well, actually, the character of Miles, also an engineer on the project was a compiled character that included "Rem" but because Rem was the essential piece for GT40 development, they had to gesture towards him, I suppose. Again, it was an okay movie, very much in the genre, although a bit better acted, Damon and Bale fighting with each other, using food, a thrown wrench, the supportive, loving wife. Within the context of a buddy movie, the movie does work, but its too long and you feel it, although I did like the way Miles death accident was shown, not a lot of buildup, save for the music, and then a highspeed muffled crash, no huge histrionics after and then the both true and movie cliche line "sometimes they don't come home." I wanted more of the internal mechanics of that, I wanted more of Henry Ford crying in the car, a great scene, actually because both the absolute insanity of being in a racing car as well as his joy were conveyed, I thought that was a magnificent human moment, unexpected and worth the movie, on it's own.
17 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A big Hollywood Film that delivers !
ecastrodesign22 October 2019
Once in a while, a big Hollywood film is made with big Hollywood stars, and big Hollywood production values and occasionally everything works to deliver a dynamic cinematic event. Such is the case with director James Mangold's new film "Ford v Ferrari". Armed with superior talent in front and behind the camera, Mr. Mangold has directed his best film yet with bravado. A strong screenplay is the foundation of a great story involving the characters portrayed by Matt Damon playing American Car Designer Carroll Shelby, driver Christian Bale, and Tracy Letts as Henry Ford II, all involved in challenging the famous Italian car maker Ferrari at the famous race at Le Mans in 1966. From the very first frame, James Mangold sets the tone with exciting, bold and energetic images that are visually arresting, alongside a great score that never overwhelms or feels generic. The editing is outstanding, as the pace is so fast moving, pulsating with nail biting excitement, especially in the racing sequences. Cinematographer Phedon Papamichael, along with Production Designer Francois Audouy, and Costume Designer Daniel Orlandi, have created a rich canvas, always authentic in feel, full of subtleties resulting in a formidable palette that comes together beautifully. Flawless performances are a high point under the guidance of James Mangold's direction. Matt Damon has rarely had the opportunity to show quite a range from confidant showman to a vulnerability we rarely see. Christian Bale as always disappears into his character and delivers another stellar performance, and Tracy Letts layers his performance with strength and flair. Ultimately, James Mangold's master work delivers on all fronts, and on the whole one of the most satisfying films of the year, and certain to be a major contender for many well deserved awards !
36 out of 69 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No Bat-Mobile, but still a thrill ride from Bale!
FilmFlowCritics14 October 2019
This movie has as much traction and grip, as the car that won Le Mans 66!

Another stunning performance by Christian Bale (without any body transformation this time!) and the same goes for Jon Bernthal! Yes, this movie might be 20mins to long, but it takes you on a long and exciting ride with an end you won't see coming, unless you spoil yourself with how the race in '66 ended - my advice: DON'T! it will pay off.

I'm a Formula 1 enthusiast and occasionally watch the Le Mans races as well, so I wasn't aware how the race in '66 ended. I wasn't even aware of the rivalry between Ford and Ferrari back then, but this movie won't bore you with the details to much. It gives the necessary overview of the needed context, so that every viewer understands what's on the line here.

I'd recommend a viewing in an IMAX for sure, to feel the sound and experience the race for yourself. Much like Rush, this movie manages to get the excitement of racing transformed to the audience, without focussing on any crashes or the (back then) still live threatening motorsport.
42 out of 92 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Got Me Back to the Movie Theater
dal_asher18 November 2019
I generally don't enjoy going to the movies anymore since I can wait a few months and watch on our big screen in the comfort of my own home but I was excited to see this movie. We saw it the day it opened in our local theater and I was not disappointed. What a great film. Damon and Bale were fantastic from beginning to end. The characters were very well developed and you actually felt like you knew these guys! The whole cast was phenomenal. I'm not much of a race car fan but this movie had suspense and humor that made it entertaining for everyone! Well done!!
14 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Spectacular.
ImpossibleZ21 November 2019
Decided to make an account and write this review just because how much I liked the movie, the acting was spot on and so was the cinematography. watch the movie, you won't regret it.
13 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good.
neilfrancis25 November 2019
Not a massive fan of motor racing or motor racing movies but i did enjoy this. The major asset for the film is the cast, Matt Damon is very good but the real star of this is the fantastic Christian Bale, a superb performance from a great actor. The story of an unsung British hero, a very modest and a very real hero, he did really drive a tank in WW2, is a tale very much worth telling. It is long bit flies by - go see.
28 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.