UglyDolls (2019) Poster

(2019)

Ok 10 might be stretching it
phylicia113 May 2019
People who are giving 10/10...come on now...this doesn't compare to Inside Out, Zootopia, Toy Story, Lion King etc Was it terrible...no but it was missing something. Yes the message was good but could have been delivered more powerfully and the best part was definitely all the musical scenes. So at least a 6 is fair.
64 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cute kids movie!!
katherynkavanaugh4 February 2020
This movie is well made and full of wonderful animation and songs. It is a "kids" movie. It has a good lesson about accepting yourself for who you are and fighting for what you want. It isn't really made to entertain adults too. That must be where the poor reviews came from. My 5 year old grand baby loves this movie (and she is pretty picky about her movies).
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's a great family movie with a great positive message!
shaun-morin5 May 2019
It's wuite simply a great family outing movie with a great message about body image. In todays world that's much needed. Cute movie for the family.
44 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cute little movie to take your kids out to
ilikeanimation5 May 2019
This isn't going to wow the adults (although the songs are surprisingly good imo), but the little ones will enjoy it a lot. It also has a message of that adults may think of it as cliche, but children could take it to the heart.
49 out of 79 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Accept yourself
Aliraluna3 May 2019
Wow this movie is amazing. Behind the beautiful colors, animation and story lies great and real messages about our society and how most of us are constantly fighting against social standards. It trully gives me hope that one day I will be able to accept completely myself as these beautiful "ugly" dolls do.
74 out of 125 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Perfect in its own way!
tazerling4 May 2019
I LOVE IT!!!! It made me so happy I actually cried! I don't care what anyone else says about it. The whole message of the movie is to not care what those who put you down have to say, only those who encourage you! But especially your own. Is this out on Blu-Ray yet?
73 out of 125 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't believe the bad rating. Watch for yourself.
lexisandkaylie25 December 2019
This was a great movie! I can't believe the bad rating, I usually don't even enjoy kids movies. I came into this movie thinking wow a rip off of trolls this is going to be trash looking at the reviews & then once I actually watched till the middle I was loving it! My girls also loved the movies, 5 and 7, both enjoyed it!
13 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best cute cartoon about dolls with imperfections.
crosswalkx3 May 2019
I have seen this movie and I enjoyed it very much. It's about toys being manufactured in the toy factory. But some of the dolls become rejected due to looking imperfect or looking like monster toys. The monster toys create their town called Uglyville and they enjoy their peaceful fun lifestyle. Moxy is wanting to be a little girls doll for the little girl to hold and love her.

She and her friends Lucky Bat, Ugly dog, Wage, Babo. They climb through the tunnel, they enter a town called Institute for Perfection where the human dolls are afraid of Monster dolls. A spoiled brat named Lou bullies both the monster dolls and his own human dolls. Mandy, a girl who wears glasses helps the monster dolls out with the toy training which they struggle in and get sent to the washing machine.

Later on the 3 spy girls sneak into town, kidnap the mayor named Ox and he tells Moxy the truth and the Uglyville town becomes depressed. Moxy and Mandy both gets kidnapped by the same 3 spy girls and they both get sent to the fiery furnace to be destroyed. They are rescued by a whole town of monster dolls and they head up to the surface to face the final test in the dollhouse to compete against Lou who doesn't help out with the robot dog and robot baby or his friends.

The dolls are shocked by Lou attacking the robot baby and Lou later confesses that he's a prototype who hates imperfection in toys. He gets thrown into the washing machine and the monster dolls invite the human dolls to Uglyville town where they all have fun together. Moxy goes through the portal into the real world and a little girl wakes up and hugs Moxy.

I enjoyed this movie because I'm into cute cartoon movies and TV shows, I can relate to the girl named Mandy because I wear glasses everyday of my life.

I like the Ugly Dog who raps and parties all the time. I also like how easygoing the Monster dolls were. I also liked Moxy who was cheerful most of the time. The characters were very funny and this movie was very lighthearted. I also liked how the monster dolls enter into the Perfection institution and the kids reacted and screamed.

I did like Lou singing and dancing and being a showoff and popular to his crowd, but I didn't like him bullying the monster dolls or his human doll friends and name calling them, he definitely deserved to be thrown in the washing machine and removed from leading the institute of perfection.

I liked the pop music and rap music and the musical numbers and it entertained me alot.

Overall I highly recommend to the parents to take your kids to see this cute cartoon movie. It's worth your time and I would see this movie over and over again since it was so funny.
74 out of 130 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Horrid, Hollow, and Boring
irishboy1411 May 2019
This is one of the ugliest most generic films I've seen. The only sellable aspect to this film is the plethora of voice actors shoved in regardless if they can voice act (this film was heavily advertised between "the Voice" because two of the judges star in it, and are the worst actors in the movie).

The story is a stock "being ugly is okay" plot that most TV cartoons would be embarrassed to use this day and age. The visuals suck because the environments are bland & the character designs are horribly ugly.

The voice acting is bad because no one tries to emote or throw their voice to sound different. It's as if they only had the celebrities for 5 minutes so they just ran through the dialogue and only used 1st takes.

Much like the Emoji movie, this film feels like a cash grab. It wasn't created because someone had a story they wanted to tell, it was created to suck the money out of gullible parents wallets as well as advertise for children.

Skip this abomination, almost anything else is better worth your time.
131 out of 247 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Adorable, fun, and ugly!
towfflelad7 May 2019
This movie, while admittedly not perfect, has an amazing lesson and is very inspiring to young kids. It has talks about very relevant topics with kids going into their middle school years and trying to learn who they are and how to accept themselves. It's very fun, not too serious, and deserves a much higher rating.
27 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I can't believe this has such a low rating
eheughins-6144726 August 2019
This was one of the best shows I have seen in a long time. It isn't your typical show. The message is great though, and it is so adorable. Spoiler alert, I think the ugly dolls are cuter. If it weren't for the incessant songs, I would give it a 10.
14 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ugly Dolls Beautiful Story
awhite-105418 December 2019
Ugly Dolls may not have done well in Box Office but it has a beautiful story for kinds to learn. It includes great songs and great voice overs for each character, especially ones that children know and can relate to. Go in this movie with a open mind and wonder what the director is trying to betray before judging it so harshly.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing!
bigtensec4 May 2019
I totally loved this movie! It was amazing in my opinion. I loved the music, the plot, the characters, everything in this film! It almost made me sad for some scenes! I would it a 10/10!
55 out of 100 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
!Just like Trolls and Lucky Duck Did¡, with Ugly-lite of Uniqueness!
seanherbsrules3 May 2019
Disney's Lucky Duck (2014) and DreamWorks' Trolls (2016) did it first, but there's a match between Perfection and Uglyness. It's Uniqueness! Autismians, like Owen Suskind in Life, Animated (2016), and animators, including attracting females and plush lovers, will enjoy this extremely unique musical, book by the talented Alison Peck, even though the Perfection is what you unique to all of us.
62 out of 115 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved it
abalbino-492516 May 2019
Cute, funny adorable and had a great message behind it.
46 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very nice musical piece
just-otik3 May 2019
Simple truths with simple story, but beautiful music and nice visuals. The target group is definitely not grumpy adults. Hands up for the producer Ugly Dog :) Deserves at least 6.5
36 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Undeniably adorable, sweet and fun
Robert_duder5 May 2019
Ugly Dolls delivered exactly what I expected of it. But it also delivered more than I expected. It's one of those animated film so full of heart that it catches you off guard. It's full of songs and an in your face non-subtle message about being who you are (what else can you expect from Ugly Dolls.) . The cast is a ton of fun. Kelly Clarkson, Pitbull, Blake Shelton, Wanda Sykes and Nick Jonas are all truly outstanding in their voice over roles. I was particularly impressed by Blake Shelton who really takes on the role quite well and Clarkson's voice is near perfect for Moxie, our hero of the film. Some of the complaints of the movie I've seen call it predictable and it certainly doesn't bring anything brilliant to the table but it is so sweet and pure and fun and my 4 year old daughter loved it and I think that's worth something because I loved it too! It's a feel good movie and not much else. Sure that means it doesn't have a ton of depth but sometimes just feeling good is enough!! I had tears in my eyes when the credits rolled because it drew me in enough to care about the characters and root for the heroes and I had a lot of fun with this one. For families and young kids, you cannot go wrong with this one! 8/10
28 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A fun movie with great themes!
brittneyproffitt8 May 2019
I love this happy-go-lucky story with charming characters and precious plot points. I also love that the plot is mild enough for our toddler! I loved the musical element and so enjoyed hearing some of my favorite artists perform as actors and singers!

It makes me sad to see the arrogance of some of these reviews. With a husband in the animation industry, I've learned so much about the countless elements that play into making a movie. Not every movie will be to Disney/Pixar standard. Not every studio has the lush cash flow to spend limitless time and resources. But that doesn't mean such movies don't have merit or that they can't connect with viewers. There's a kind and respectful way to say a movie wasn't your favorite, considering the people who put in the hard work of making it and those who DID enjoy the movie.
36 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Positive message in the movie
ilovefoodcoma4 May 2019
This movie definitely gives a positive message to the kids. Don't let your appearance/looks define who you are. Don't give up your dreams even though you are lack of something. Most important don't judge a book by its cover. This movie is not the best animation but for sure good message through out the movie.
25 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nothing outstanding here...
paul_haakonsen16 July 2019
I sat down to watch the 2019 animated movie "UglyDolls" with my nine year old son, as he had been wanting to see it for some time.

Now, usually I do like animated movie, but "UglyDolls" just never caught on with me. The storyline was just too bland and unimaginative, and the entire character gallery was just rubbish.

I will say that the animation itself and the CGI was quite good, so the movie does harvest some points there. And it also scores some points for some good voice acting. But the rest of the movie was just less than mediocre.

Even my nine year old son, whom had really been looking forward to watching this animated movie, wasn't particularly thrilled or entertained by the outcome of the movie. It was just not outstanding and it lacked comedy elements to spice it up.

Furthermore, there was just way too much singing in this animated movie for my liking. It felt like you were sitting through another Disney animation.

All in all, "UglyDolls" is a less than mediocre animated movie. However, I am sure that it will find a home with the younger audience perhaps around 6 years old or so.
15 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It has heart and personality, despite it's short comings w/ Critics and Box Office
tommypezmaster7 May 2019
Man i thought STX would never have a good chance to impress me for a very long time, but this film is great in a lot of ways. The repeatable humor and charming differentiating sisters is also a neat cartoon idea as well and works a bit too good! Surprisingly every episode improves more off of the other and each has its fair share of laughs as well. Moxy is basically any person who's had to deal with an imposible dream, so it has a lot of repeatable moments. In my opinion the animation is great and has a sort of Storks animation style to it. Hope it gains a cult following after it's release in years!
30 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Kids loved it
ahenni3 June 2019
Kids love it, and that's what count most... it's kids movie so that's the most important part of it.
13 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
UglyDolls Review
Magow-Intermean4 May 2019
In the adorably different town of Uglyville, weird is celebrated, strange is special and beauty is embraced as more than simply meets the eye. Millions of dolls are manufactured every year for kids to play. But what happens to those that are less than perfect? The ones who aren't perfect enough to hit the stores because of their irregularities go to Uglyville where all the rejected dolls are sent to live. One plucky doll named Moxy, played by Kelly Clarkson, believes that she will get chosen to be someone's doll eventually. She convinces her friends to join her in search of the big world, but instead, they come across the Institute for Perfection where dolls go through a series of tests to be paired with the right child.

Although its core idea is that we should accept one another despite our differences, 'UglyDolls' squanders this timeless lesson and reduces it to a film that doesn't know how to engage with its audience. Breaking into song at every occasion it gets to maximise the talents of its voice cast is the logical approach, but the tracks are neither well written nor composed to make them memorable. They end up becoming a drag, and it doesn't help that the rest of the plot isn't exactly innovative either. Add voice acting that's uninspired with almost every actor seemingly phoning in their lines. In this sea of weak performances, Janelle Monae makes a genuine attempt to make her character Mandy stand out, but her role is relatively small to make a significant difference.

To make matters worse, the animation and character design are both less than stellar. Although the 'ugly dolls' are made to look endearing enough, the 'perfect' dolls come across as poorly rendered video game ripoffs. The environment designs aren't memorable despite the limited areas the film is set in. The biggest blunder is the film's screenplay that goes all over the place as it's unable to keep its target audience in focus - it veers between catering to kids and then to adolescents, with its group dynamics, and the constant peer pressure to look a certain way. Sadly, this ends up being - and there's no joy in making this pun - an ugly mess.
19 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lackluster in every possible aspect
er_ouz19 July 2019
UglyDolls is the story of a bunch of defective ("ugly") dolls who where rejected from the assembly line, but are now trying to find a way through QA (quality assurance) and out to the world. On their journey they need to confront bigotry and obstacles from the perfect dolls. The story itself is ok, and could make for a good movie, but unfortunately the movie is amazingly lackluster in every sense of the world and on every field: the songs are mostly dull and unmemorable (though some are better then others). Humor is scant to non-existant, many of the characters are flat and non-descript, and the environment (apart from UglyVille) is non existent, meaning most of the time the characters are acting on flat solid color backgrounds or in minimal environments with little detail. For me, this lack of care (or budget) for visuals is what hurt this movie the most, making the world unappealing and dull.

This is not a horrible movie, plot holds up, acting is ok, and while most elements are mediocre or sub-par, non are outright bad. That being said, I really wouldn't recommend the movie very much unless you have nothing else to watch, and don't come with high expectations,
11 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So Emotional, I loved It!
kayrcolgan12 May 2019
I loved Kelly Clarkson's character, Moxie. Because she was fun and very uplifting. I really liked Wanda Skye's character because she made me laugh. This movie was so cute!
17 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.