Katanagatari (TV Mini-Series 2010– ) Poster

(2010– )

Cheerio!
StzmJgzmf24 December 2014
Katanagatari is interesting because it's one of the better anime in recent time (that I have seen), one of the best anime from 2010 (that I have seen) and arguably the best work of NisiOisiN (that I have seen, even though this only includes two titles).

Now, Katanagatari is great, it's absolutely wonderful, but depending on your ability to immerse yourself in a story so much that you forget time this may or may not be for you. If you are like me with the attention span of a goldfish, initially the 50-minute long episodes might scare you off. If you are able to put up with it, however, you are in for a treat.

I will not summarize the series because frankly you can look at the anime description for that, that and I doubt I will make it that much more interesting. I will just go through why I like it.

First of all there are the characters, which I think are the main driving force behind this anime. They bounce off each other really well, providing good (but not ROFLOL hilarious) comedy and creating an overall likable character dynamic. The side characters are also fairly good, they do their thing, but for the most part you will not see them for more than one episode, so they do not matter too much. I will also give points to the incredibly forced romance. I like that Katanagatari doesn't even try to build it up naturally but instead approaches it like "Yeah, we're in love even though we've shared a whole of five minutes of screen time. Deal with it." The action scenes are short but very energetic and well directed. While they are very good, be warned if you are going into Katana thinking it will be 90% action; it will not. In fact, much of the anime is spent on dialogue. Think Bakemonogatari, just not quite the same bullet pace.

The sound track is excellent, and while I do not think it stands out per se the music tracks are used very efficiently, creating just the right mood every single time.

The art can be described as fairly minimalistic - it certainly does not stand out in terms of production values - but it gets its job done and does it well.

Overall, Katanagatari is great, you should definitely check it out if you like dialogue and good action scenes, but due to the length of the episodes you may or may not be able to marathon through it. Also: that last episode.
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Katanagari full review
LiteKola16 April 2017
Katanagatari is an oddity. Its pace, art, story, dialogue, fights and characters are all different form regular standards. Though I think it's accessible to a younger public I'd say it definitely qualifies as a seinen.

The pace can feel slow or not depending on what you're expecting. It's not very action packed, so if you're mostly interested in the fighting part, you'll probably get bored or frustrated pretty quickly. On the other hand, if you're sensitive to the immersive story and universe that unfolds upon you in a poetic fashion, you may find that the rhythm is perfectly on point.

There are a lot of dialogues, maybe a tiny bit too much for me in some instances but they're usually atypical and sometimes get captivating, funny or gripping. It's actually one of the main aspects of this series, it can feel very light at times, almost feeling like a shonen, but it also get very gripping, intense, dramatic and contemplative. The quantity and length of the dialogues reinforces the storytelling dimension of the series.

There isn't a lot of fighting but I really enjoyed how they handled that part. The fights are deeply rooted to the story and the characters which make them all very unique and sometimes epically great even if the sequence is very short.

Katanagatari is an extraordinary show in a literal sense and I really enjoyed the unique storytelling. The first episode gives you a good idea of the tone and ambiance of the series and I think it's probably useless to keep going if you didn't like it at all. If you loved it and were captivated, buckle up and you're in for a wonderful ride!

As for me, 9.25/10 is how much I liked this show, chesto...I mean, cheerio !
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is art
Throkell2 September 2019
I hate Katanagatari, I hate it so much that I cannot describe how I hate it. I guess that it is time to stop reading synopses, because it never helps you and makes you decide the fate of the anime that you are about to watch beforehand. Katanagatari is one of these horrible examples: it shows you its synopsis, makes you think that it is generic and dull, and then it proves you that it is one of the most epic adventures that you will ever see in your life. When you see it, you will be surprised how masterfully Katanagatari reworks all clichés making it a very unique and unusual fable.

I am sure that all fans of Ninja Scroll, Rurouni Kenshin, Samurai Champloo, and Bakemonogatari will find many things to love in Katanagatari. For those who are familiar with Rurouni Kenshin, Katanagatari is its twenty-first century equivalent, but it focuses more on the dialogues than on anything else. Of course, it does not mean that Katanagatari has no action, it has it and it is so beautiful and elegant that no words will describe it. However, if you are a fan of Bakemonogatari it will already give you a guarantee that you will like it, but if you still have not seen Bakemonogatari, Ninja Scroll, Rurouni Kenshin, or Samurai Champloo yet, do not be afraid to give Katanagatari a try.

So, without further ado, the story of Katanagatari tells us a story of a powerful martial artist Shichika and a self-proclaimed genius strategist Togame. The two should collect twelve unique swords, known as the "Deviant Blades," for the shogunate. But all these blades that the shogunate seeks to obtain already have their owners, which means that Shichika will have to obtain these swords by force. Everything seems to be easy; however, our heroes will have to overcome many hardships and the most important part of that will be the fact that there are thirteen swords. What hardships are waiting our heroes and what truth hides behind the thirteenth ultimate Completed Deviant Blade? That is the question that you will have to answer.

Without a doubt, the story of Katanagatari is not flawless. But the only obvious flaw of this anime is that you should be very attentive and you should put up with all these dialogues. That is the only problem of this anime; I cannot even call it a problem, to be honest. Of course, if you try to marathon Katanagatari in one day, you will not like it. But I would not even call it a problem, watch it little by little and you will surely enjoy it. I mean, the final episode will amaze you. It is worth it!

The weirdest thing about this anime is its animation. Saying that the animation is unusual will be the same as saying absolutely nothing. All characters look a bit cartoonish; however, at the same time, you understand that it is actually beautiful and you like it. Perhaps, the only two things that will stay in your mind about this anime are its ending and animation.

The OST is definitely memorable. With every episode we see new ED themes; however, I cannot say that they are memorable. The background music; however, is very appropriate to the Edo period depicted. You might even find something new for your collection. And of course the best part about sound is all that tremendous work that the voice actors invested in this anime. They did one hell of a job and because of that their characters are very enjoyable to follow.

The cast of this series is another reason for you to watch Katanagatari. At first, all characters look familiar and you have a feeling that you have already seen them somewhere. I would say that this feeling might be annoying for one, but after some time, you understand the uniqueness of all characters. I think that the fact that Katanagatari reworks all clichés making itself interesting and unique is very commendable. And it was possible thanks to the talent of the person that created this anime. Hopefully, there will be more anime that will be able to do so.

Anyway, Katanagatari's cast consists of: main characters, Shichika and Togame, villains, and supporting characters. While the main characters and the villains receive enough development and are very interesting to follow, the supporting characters; however, leave much to be desired. I cannot criticize them that they are weak, but I think that they should have made them more interesting to follow. Yet, the main heroes and the villains compensate well the supporting characters, so I hope that it should not be a problem for you.

The main heroes of this anime are Shichika and Togame. Togame represent the brain of the duo, while Shichika represent more a blunt strength than anything else. Togame constantly rants about things and tries to change Shichika and Shichika tries to follow his new companion's orders. For those who have already seen Spice and Wolf, the duo presented in Katanagatari is very similar to what you have already seen in Spice and Wolf. The only difference; however, will be the fact that Shichika undergoes more development than Lawrence. I cannot say that I am a fan of romance; sometimes it becomes boring a way too fast. Shichika and Togame; however, are more a comedy duo than lovers. But at the same time, the chemistry between them is amazing. It is never annoying and it only makes you worry about them more and more. After some time, you just understand that if something bad happens to them, you will be in one big depression.

The villains of this anime are another thing, which is worth mentioning. They are, mostly, the wielders of the "Deviant Blades." Either bad guys that only seek for power to achieve their goals, or people corrupted by the power of their swords that have lost their purport of life; the villains of this series are definitely splendid. But, as I have already mentioned, the supporting characters are just bad. I believe that they should have paid more attention to that part, which is, in my opinion, very important.

All in all, I give this anime a very-very-very weak ten out of ten. This series is able to surprise its viewer, it has many aces in its sleeve, hence ten of ten. Of course, there are flaws and you will surely find things that you would like to change. Katanagatari does not deserve the title "the best," but it does deserve the title of "one of the best." For those who like very unusual series (Samurai Champloo), epic journeys (Spice and Wolf), do not hesitate to give Katanagatari a try. However, I am insisting on the fact that you should not marathon it. Of course, if you are a fan of Nisio Isin, or just a hardcore anime fan, you can marathon it, if not, I would not recommend you to do that.

I hope that you will like Katanagatari!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Extraordinary, in a class of its own
A_Different_Drummer27 March 2019
Just finished ep 07, one of the most unforgettable stories I have ever encountered (and that is with over 1200 reviews here.) At first the dialog seems over-written but that is only if you compare it to something else. As an artistic work of its own, it is quite incredible and mesmerizing.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.