"Sherlock" The Reichenbach Fall (TV Episode 2012) Poster

(TV Series)

(2012)

On it's own, this episode was worth the whole TV licence fee
ArtySin16 January 2012
Prior to the start, I was thinking that this episode would not live up to some of the greatest TV seen in the UK despite the previous episodes being fantastic. How wrong I was. My summary line says it all and for those of you that haven't yet seen it, it's a must. I have too many superlatives to mention for this series and particularly this episode.

Out of curiosity I looked on Twitter when it had finished, only to find that it was the No.1 trending topic for about two hours. People tweeting like mad for there to be a series 3 were not disappointed as the writers held us in suspense too, revealing about half an hour after this episode had finished that series 3 had already been commissioned at the same time as series 2.

Looking forward to the next tranche of episodes and I hope I don't have to wait too long.

Quote from the series Sherlock Holmes: Shut up. Inspector Lestrade: I didn't say anyth — Sherlock Holmes: You were thinking. It's annoying.

Brilliant!!
98 out of 113 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It doesn't take sherlock to figure out that this episode was mind-blasting!!!!! :D
dharabhiabhi17 January 2012
So i saw the finale of sherlock season 2 today thinking it would be another good episode of sherlock, but i was wrong in all ways possible! Good is an understatement, this was definitively the best episode of television i will see this year unless of course breaking bad would pull off a stunner. Season 2 tried to portray the sherlock as more "human" and this finale completes the arc brilliantly. The acting, the direction and the writing( oh god the writing!!) were simply outstanding. The episode had a brilliant blend of drama, emotion and edge of the seat suspense. In most of sherlock episodes you know that sherlock is going to solve the crime , its just about how he does it and who is the main culprit, but this episode just kept me guessing. I had no idea what was going to happen, every second was a " will he or wouldn't he" type of moment. The final 20 minutes took the show from brilliant to whatever is much better than that. Martin freeman was brilliant in the emotional moments completely justifying peter Jackson wanting him for the hobbit and even Benedict cumberbatch got a chance to show the emotional yet reserved side of sherlock, which i think he did beautifully. All i can say is season 3 -"where are thou?"
58 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Series Two Set Rocks
emilyblunt25 May 2012
BluntReview says: Brains are indeed the new sexy…and Sherlock Series Two delivers multiple, err, pleasures…In fact it's a trifecta for the brain endorphin-wise. You get a heaping helping of raw sexy, mystery and intrigue complete with scary bits, and the finale serves up a gut-wrenching thrill. And Sherlock Series Two's three new films dare to step forward into the Doyle Classics; Scandal in Bohemia, Hound of the Baskervilles and Reichenbach Falls.

Oh, yes, they went there, and the reworks work. Hell, they've even neatly managed to work in the infamous deerstalker! It's hard to top the phenom the whole production crew brought us in the first myth-shifting series. I mean they had to approach concisely the bromance, the modernization and of course nod to all us Holmesians – with our self-righteous eyes looking for any flaw; complete with the "Why I oughttas" awaiting. But, worldwide we were quietly awed then thunderously applauding.

We are brought back in with, 'A Scandal in Belgravia.' Of course the title is obvious. And the "plot" is about royalty and scandalous pictures. Normally a yawn, ah, but not here there Johnny. Sherlock (Benedict Cumberbatch) and Watson (Martin Freeman) run around in glorious subplot land as the real focus is on one woman - The Woman - Irene Adler (Lara Pulver). All the series of films thus far has attempted to knock you upside the head with how not gay Watson is, but, have left Sherlock up to one's imagination. Is this man an Elder Virgin or perhaps… But as we shall all discover all the lad needed was an equally brilliant brain-force and some good old-fashioned gorgeous-to-boot looks thrown in and he too can be befuddled by the opposite sex. Purr. Snap. (<- if you know what I'm typing here...and I think that you do) The acting in these sexually-fueled frames is particularly brilliant from the trio; S, J and I. Watch the eys and tells.

Next up is The Hounds of Baskerville. Now how on Earth are they going to manage this work you may harrumph aloud as the film starts. Fear not, they have and quite (as we are coming to expect) brilliantly. Clever is too mundane a word. Brilliant too used. Let's just go ahead and say it. But, here, the word is neither over used or quaint. The film is genius.

Oh there's something going on out there on the moors alright Joe, and you'll have eyes fixed upon the television wondering just what this hound thing is anyway! There are some clues: Baskerville is now a military testing area, and strange people do strange things, the townsfolk don't mind having a dog beast for fiscal intake purposes, and one young man has a long history with the hound….which would have to be either on a third generation, or twenty odd years old and still running about tearing poor moor wanderers apart like an old chewie toy. And, thankfully, there's plenty of foggy atmospheric additions to help your psyche go along for the hunt.

Finally they've attempted, and succeeded, in The Reichenbach Fall re-imagining. This film is so completely thrilling, I forewarn you not to eat prior to viewing or your tummy is sure to burp and bother at you in protest through out.

Moriaty (Andrew Scott) is back and he's even more twisted and riddled up in a conundrum then when we first met him temper-tantruming about at the pool. Moriaty is the Yin to Sherlock's Yang. He almost steals the show – both actor and character. Seething evil and diction the actor is given some of the smarter bits ever caught by a lens. This Scott fellow can act. Yes he can.

The premise, or plot, starts to shape up to be about how once an idea is planted in one's mind there's no uprooting. Kind of like you can not un-hear something. That's really all I can say without slipping the game up.

Be aware R Falls' end is sure to leave you utterly breathless and perhaps stunned with a tear or two rolling down your face….I'm just saying. I can say no more.

Except to say, the characters you've immediately come to know and enjoy are all back and in the crispest of form from Series One; Mycroft (Mark Gatiss), Mrs. Hudson (Una Stubbs), suffering Molly (Loo Brealey) and Lestrade (Rupert Graves).

DVD kit bonuses include a short on behind the scenes where cast and crew share the warmth of reception and show you how they shot a few really swell scenes and audio commentary.

Once again I bow to all in and around the production for a tremendously entertaining few evenings.

Snack recommendations: Pack of cigarettes for Scandal - or a few nicotine patches...frankly, what ever you enjoy post coitus;)
20 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sherlock The Reichenbach Fall
kikkapi2027 September 2014
Absolutely riveting television, fantastic acting, excellent script and some stunning cinematography. This version of Sherlock may be confined to the small screen, but by God is it good. I think this episode fully deserves a 10. Both series 1 and 2 have been extremely strong in their own rights, and stand head and shoulders above most dramas on TV.

This episode was a fantastically dramatic, riveting ending to the series, just as the last episode of Series 1 was. I thought there were so many great scenes - my personal favorite being Sherlock's taxi ride with Moriarty telling the "fairytale". That was a masterclass in sinister monologues.
13 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The end of Sherlock Holmes?
Tweekums16 January 2012
As the second short series comes to its conclusion things are looking fairly ominous; even the episode's title; The Reichenbach Falls suggests Sherlock might not survive, after all that is where Sir Arthur Conan Doyle famously killed his hero... if only temporarily. As the episode opens we see Dr. Watson talking to a therapist… about Sherlock's death, the action then jumps back in time and we see Sherlock repeatedly making front page news with his crime solving; something that attracts the attention of his old adversary James Moriarty. Moriarty then executes three crimes; any one of which could be considered the 'crime of the century', strangely though he is caught. Even more strangely he pleads not guilty and offers no defence, then is not convicted despite being caught read handed inside the Tower of London holding the crown jewels. Soon afterwards the children of the American Ambassador are kidnapped; Sherlock finds them but it is at this point things start to go very wrong for him; he himself comes under suspicion; after all who could solve the case that quickly without inside knowledge? Indeed could all of his amazing cases just been acts set up to make him look great? Things quickly spiral out of control and Sherlock becomes a fugitive; ultimately his Nemesis gives him a choice; and the only real option is death.

This was a fine conclusion to the all too short second series; the opening made it clear that Watson thought Holmes was dead so as the end approached it seemed entirely possible that he would die and this would be the last ever episode. Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman are excellent as Holmes and Watson and the supporting cast also put in fine performances. The story is gripping throughout; I was often unsure whether characters were being manipulated by Moriarty, whether they were in league with him or even if Moriarty existed at all! The only thing I wasn't too keen on was the very last scene where we see an all too familiar character watching as Watson walks away from Sherlock's grave; that is only a very minor quibble though.
24 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The final solution...
Lejink20 June 2012
The natural "Reichenbach Falls" conclusion to the second season of "Sherlock" again adapts the familiar Conan Doyle story with a modern twist as Holmes and his nemesis Jim Moriarty find themselves playing out a desperate death-accepting climax up on high, with a seemingly unbelievable twist right at the end.

That particular twist will have to be explained somehow at the start of the third series, no doubt posing the writers a similar problem to the dead-end that Conan Doyle wrote himself into decades ago, but if the old master could do it (which he did by seemingly just resurrecting his creation) then the pool of writers around today will naturally pull it off. I think I know how Holmes got out of it (I think Molly was involved in some prep work) but I'll be keen to see if I'm right, next time around.

Before the extended, nail biting climax on the hospital roof, Moriarty inveigles Holmes in a tangled web, brilliantly manipulating the media to discredit Sherlock in the time-honoured British way of "build 'em up, knock 'em down". We see Holmes apparently outsmarted, emotional and even capable of self-sacrifice to save his friends, not traits we've much observed before now.

The acting in this excellent episode, as it has to be, is the match of the writing, Martin Freeman giving his best performance yet as the downtrodden Watson, while Cumberbatch and Andrew Scott as Holmes and Moriarty spark each other to new heights in their head-to-head confrontation.

Like all the episodes I've seen to date, this one pays due homage to the source material but modernised and brought back to life, kicking and screaming into the present-day, it very nearly transcends the original material of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and I can't say fairer than that.
22 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The most seducing of all deductions
vsmahesh1820 January 2012
oh my word!This is indeed the one of the most beautiful adaptations i have seen for a long time.It was fast paced,juicy but then very much intriguing.

Actually i was left disappointed by the third episode of first season-'the great game',so obviously i was expecting something similar till i saw this and the hell i do rather i wish the story never ends.It has all the ingredients of a perfect sherlock story plus the emotional quotient that we don't often see in Holmes narratives and this for me was the best part of it.

One of the interesting thing in this episode was that it used the humane part of Holmes-he did crumble or appear to crumble under pressure from his age old nemesis Moriarty .And my review won't be complete without acknowledging the contribution of freeman as Watson-he donned the role with such command that i can't imagine sherlock without the assistance of him.

As with everybody else am waiting for the next series to unfold........
23 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The truest form of perfect television in years
o-r-i-o-n16 January 2012
It was interesting thinking about what the finale of this series would be like given the information at hand. The Reichenbach Fall, based on The Final Problem, written by Steve Thompson. I remember watching the last series and thinking that of the 3 episodes Steve Thompson's was the weakest, to be honest I still think The Blind Banker is the weakest of the 6, but The Reichenbach Fall is by far the strongest.

Anyone who has read The Final Problem or has enough interest in Holmes to know the story will be aware of the significance of the Reichenbach Falls, a giant waterfall in Switzerland where Holmes and Moriarty fought and eventually both fell from. Needless to say there was a precedent set that this episode would take on the possibility of the death of the worlds most dangerous criminal and the foremost champion of the law of their generation.

The story is set as Moriarty's great comeback, making a series of "robberies" and intentionally getting himself caught. From there the plot thickens and Moriarty's plan for the fall of Sherlock is slowly poured out. The plot in itself is one of the best I have ever seen, from what I remember the last time I can recall having such admiration of the genius plans of a villain was when watching The Dark Knight. Although it has to be said that The Joker's plot to unmask Batman and destroy his reputation pails in comparison to Moriarty's plot to "burn the heart" of Holmes.

As always the acting is top class, not just in the spectacular performances of Freeman and Cumberbatch but the often forgotten Una Stubbs continues to provide the best ever Mrs. Hudson, Mark Gattis continues to show why he is one of the most talented men in England, and whoever's idea it was to hire Andrew Scott as Moriarty deserves a medal. The perfect combination of genius and psychotic, wrapped into one package by an actor so unknown I have to use wikipedia to look up his name every time I want to write about him.

If you have a TV and you didn't watch the episode on Sunday, you are an idiot. If you live in the UK and have access to the internet and you STILL haven't seen it, you are an even bigger idiot. An hour and a half of perfection, waiting for you to watch it and fall in love with it and your sitting here reading this instead!
25 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Perfect End (to season 2?)
ahsan_815 January 2012
This is the first time that I am writing a review here and really, this Episode deserves it. I'd have to agree that Season 1 had me hooked and I was craving for the next season to arrive .Ep 1 was very welcomed and a much needed fix, Ep 2, just as in Season 1, maintained the flow , as to say and Ep 3 Just blew me away.

Just from the start Season 2 had been a notch above Season 1 simply because it explored into Sherlock in a lot of new and different ways, but the last episode really set the perfect ending.If I were given the script, I would not have changed anything , well maybe I'd have changed a few words *spoilers* such as "computer programs" I mean as a student of Software Engineering it was a bit lame that term was being thrown around just like that. But You'd have to agree that it isn't Sherlock's area of expertise. Except for that I couldn't find any flaw, that too if the above could actually be called a "flaw"

I'd rate this episode a 9.9 , and also the perfect ending.
19 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thank You,BBC!Thanks a lot!
manja200518 January 2012
Episode 1 already made my year...Episode 2 was good,episode 3,Epicness!! It starts off rather slowly....and then the awesomeness parade begins!!Sherlock is one of those rare TV Shows which keeps on getting better with every episode.The writing is tight,not many loopholes and it is complemented by some brilliant performances from Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman. Speaking about Episode 3,its Sherlock v/s Jim Moriarty all the way..Moriarty is hell bent on bringing Down his enemy of all time and he does the same,one step at a time! I'm really not gonna say more than this,because,then I'll be committing a crime of spoiling your experience. Those who haven't started watching this series,do yourselves a favor,start now! Its never too late!
18 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sherlock: The Reichenbach Fall
dalelawson-129 January 2012
Sherlock: The Reichenbach Fall (Dir. Toby Haynes, Writ. Mark Gatiss & Steven Moffat, 15.1.2012) is the final episode of Sherlock season 2, focusing on another of Arthur Conan Doyle's most celebrated stories. Holmes and Moriarty famously fight each other at the top of a waterfall until they inevitably fall off to their supposed deaths. I presumed that this episode would follow a similar premise to the original story by Doyle. But, like the other adaptations written by Gatiss and Moffat, it has been modernised and given an alternate plot. They did however hint toward the Reichenbach Waterfalls at the beginning of the episode when Holmes recovers a painting of it for a case. Early in this episode, two very exciting events happen. Firstly we see Sherlock wearing a deerstalker hat again, which has been a running theme throughout this season. And for any Sherlock Holmes fan it is always an exciting moment to see him don the deerstalker hat, like in Doyle's old stories. The second event that made this episode entertaining from the word go, was the return of Anderson. He appears in the first episode of season 1, Sherlock: A Study in Pink (Dir. Paul McGuigan, Writ. Mark Gatiss & Steven Moffat, 25.7.2010), as a comical nemesis for Holmes when on a crime scene. In The Reichenbach Fall he appears again having been missing for the past four episodes. His character, alongside Sergeant Sally Donovan, helps this episode escalate into the adrenaline fuelled finale it becomes, and I for one am glad to see his return. Moriarty is fantastically clever in this episode, and the question everyone is left asking at the end is whether he is in fact smarter than Holmes. Moriarty begins the episode making what seems to be an unsuccessful decision which we are left to speculate as to whether it was foolish or dastardly clever. I for one enjoy watching these two intelligent characters pit their brains against each other in the hope to overthrow the other one. The ending is discussed in forums all over the internet as it was predictable for a few people, unexpected to some and confusing for others. The only disappointment I had with it was the lack of a cliff- hanger, which Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (Dir. Guy Ritchie, 2011) didn't include either in their adaptation of The Reichenbach Falls story. But even without the cliff-hanger Gatiss and Moffat did manage to leave questions unanswered, making a third season hugely anticipated.
16 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I am Sherlocked
sherlockisback17 January 2012
Oh my god. This is by far the best episode.

When Sherlock and John escaped, I really was sitting on the end of my chair, it was amazing. And then, on the roof, Moriarty and Sherlock, earth-enemies against each other.....

I really did not know what to think. Is Sherlock going to die? Are Watson, Mrs. Hudson and Lestrade going to die?

But then, as Sherlock called John and John was trying to convince him not to jump, my eyes got watering. And as Sherlock jumped, I did not believe my eyes.

Later on, when John came to Sherlock's grave, I could not stop crying. Martin Freeman's performance was outstanding. I am male, 15 years old and I just sat there watching my TV screen, and I could not stop. Martin Freeman, you are a genius. He acted like he wasn't acting. I can't actually describe how good he was acting. And then I saw Sherlock, and I actually didn't care, is he alive or isn't he, this episode was practically outstanding.

I am Sherlocked.
15 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This Sherlock is no more! It has ceased to be. It's expired and gone to meet its Maker.
axel-koch19 July 2014
»Every fairy tale needs a good old-fashioned villain«, Andrew Scott's Jim Moriarty informs Sherlock Holmes early on in "The Reichenbach Fall". It's an intriguing quote, but doesn't reflect their situation. No beautiful princess needs to be rescued, and no dragons are blocking the way. Neither is Moriarty a witch, nor an evil stepmother. This story is the psychological showdown of two geniuses and it's as good as television gets.

The reason for that is clear: Andrew Scott. Of the six episodes of Sherlock, the three in which he was provided with dialogue were outstanding, while of the other three, only one was. You could ascribe that to chance, but there is no denying that the confrontations between him and Benedict Cumberbatch are the very best thing this programme has to offer. In "The Reichenbach Fall", the consulting criminal and the consulting detective meet on several occasions, each of those scenes trumping the precedent with regard to its entertainment value. At the Old Bailey, the two share subtle grins, as Sherlock lectures the prosecuting barrister in properly questioning witnesses; during teatime in 221B Baker Street, they chat about Johann Sebastian Bach, how adorable ordinary people are, and how Moriarty could potentially throw the entire world into disarray; and on a taxi TV screen, 'Jimbo' Moriarty addresses 'Boffin' Holmes in his most certifiable appearance yet, cheerfully telling the story of Sir Boast-a-lot.

But then, there's the rooftop scene. Nearly ten minutes long and without a deus ex machina intervening, it's one of the cleverest and most engrossing head-to-heads between hero and villain in the history of moving pictures. For a long while, the two parties just talk – although 'talk' is quite an understatement in that sentence, seeing as Scott is equipped with right about the best dialogue an actor could ever wish for (»I read it in the paper, so it must be true. I love newspapers.«, »There is no key, DOOFUS!«, »Oh, just kill yourself, it's a lot less effort.«) and that Cumberbatch is truly sensational when leading his nemesis into believing to have the upper hand. Though once Moriarty suddenly shoots himself in a twist more shocking than all the hounds of Baskerville combined, it's more than words flowing on the top of St Barts. Now, Sherlock's got his go at kicking the bucket, something he elegantly does by plummeting off the building and confirming what Moriarty had previously said about him: he's on the side of the angels.

As a result of that fatal hop, Sherlock shows its dramatic side, and especially Martin Freeman plays a pivotal part in that turning out well, giving one of the best acting performances of his career when experiencing Sherlock's suicide, talking to his psychiatrist, and addressing his deceased friend via tombstone. Of course, the programme's protagonist isn't actually dead – the outcome of Arthur Conan Doyle's source material and the fact that the BBC has renewed their biggest accomplishment in years for a third series strongly suggest that. However, it still feels like a bizarre decision by screenwriter Stephen Thompson to prematurely solve the 'mystery' by showing the consulting detective alive and well at the end of this episode already. Someone should mail this man the link to the Wikipedia entry on cliffhangers.

I'm not driven up the wall by that, however, and Thompson has done an otherwise exquisitely fine job at devising "The Reichenbach Fall", combining humour and suspense and giving a specific purpose to every single scene. In my opinion, this is the best Sherlock instalment up to that point, and even if the third series unexpectedly made a muck of delineating its eponym's faked suicide, my stance on this wouldn't change a bit.

My detective scribblings: • »In a twist worthy of a Conan Doyle novella, Mr Sherlock Holmes was yesterday revealed to be an expert witness at the trial of 'Jim' Moriarty.« - The fictional newspaper articles couldn't possibly get any better than that. • Sherlock claiming to never have liked riddles is in a bit of a contrast to his profession, isn't it? Unsolved cases are a sort of riddles, if you ask me. • Some excellent soundtrack choices at the beginning of this episode: firstly, the classical music playing while Moriarty stages his break-ins and then, a wonderful jazz song by Nina Simone in the moments before the trial. • In this episode more than ever, Mycroft shows a lot of disagreeable character traits – indirectly contributing to his brother's supposed death, for example. But the final straw is really him reading The Sun. Also: there just has to be some way in which he is connected to Sherlock surviving that jump, since he is on the good side of characters after all. • Sherlock having to kill himself in this episode obviously sets him thinking. For an easy way out, he should have just listened to the useful advice Inspector Lestrade gave to those worrying about the cabbie/suicide assistant getting to them in the pilot: »Don't commit suicide.« • Best quote: any random sentence uttered by Moriarty.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing!
wijays15 January 2012
This review contains spoilers... If you've seen the episode, read on :)

OMG! This is the first time I'm taking the time to write a review, and my time will be well spent in telling you that this was by far the best episode of Sherlock EVER!

Before I get to the spoilers I'd just like to say that this was by far the best TV show on during 2010-2012. If you haven't already put the box-set on your wishlist for xmas 2012, well, you're just plain mad!

Benedict Cumberbatch was right when he said, expect to be happy, sad, excited and on the edge of your seat! I was so shocked when Moriarty pulled out his gun. I was watching it on iPlayer live and just as it happened my it paused for no clear reason, at that point I shouted "No!!!!", when a TV show makes you cry out like that, it has clearly done its job and engaged you fully.

I'm not sure that any review can truly do this episode justice, I just hope that it comes back for a third (LONGER) season! :-)

Stay frosty...
15 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Moriarty = God ?
grombit12 March 2012
I very much enjoy watching these series. Although quite often the extreme leaps of faith you have to do are disappointing. The way they portrait Moriarty as being just about omnipotent, going where/when he pleases and: "Oh, by the way, I got to all the jury members to threaten them while I was in jail, and although I had no way of knowing before the trial who would be in the jury I managed to convince all 12 of them to such an extent that none would contact the police"

Of course there are no safe guards in the judicial system against such an obvious jury failure either, right ?

Then when he's "getting interrogated for hours", they show him getting beaten yet not even the tiniest bruise and of course someone as smart as Mycroft wouldn't know anything other than to try physical beating and then try talking to him as the method of interrogation.

I know they have to have a clever and dangerous antagonist to Sherlock to make the stories interesting but all they do to make the obstacles Sherlock face lethal is to make Moriarty being able to do exactly as he wishes all the time. This without them being able to show, even once, in a slightly plausible way, how he would do it. It's just abracadabra and it happens or as in the case of the jury, so unbelievable that I was expecting the pigs to fly past the window as he was explaining how he did it.
15 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Season 2: Solid entertaining and engaging mystery that is humorous without being silly, and inventive without being overly elaborate
bob the moo21 January 2012
To say the second season of this show was one of the more anticipated things on the BBC in 2012 is a little bit of an understatement – indeed the BBC seemed so keen to get it out that it started on the very first day of the year; the only downside of course being that it is all over within three weeks. When the first season finished I remember thinking that it was essentially a genre show where we have a quirky lead, a mystery each week and light entertainment at the heart of crime stories. I end the second season sure of the same but yet again sure that it is much better than the vast majority of weekly case-per-week-quirk-per-minute shows out there (although at the same time one of them it does remain).

The second season more or less manages to retain the appeal of the first and yet again walks a very fine line between believable quirkiness and oddity and "Doctor-Who-silliness" but it is a line that it stays on the right side of. Sherlock's quirks are mostly amusing rather than grating and most of the amusement/bemusement associated with them works well. The cases have a lot of pressure on them but all three deliver pretty well, providing drama, mystery, danger and a case that the viewer is engaged in rather than being left on the sidelines watching and waiting for the great Holmes to pull it out of nowhere in the end. In terms of Sunday night television it is pretty much bang on the money as it does provide across several aspects. There is a certain edge of darkness and danger to it that also functions well – in particular the final episode of the three managed to grip me more than i expected, even if personally I would have liked a lot fewer "yeah but hang on" things about the ending (although whether the ending is good or bad kind of relies of how they pick it up in the inevitable third season).

Like the blockbuster film version of the same characters, this show knows that the dialogue and interplay between Watson and Holmes is pretty key to making it work and, unlike the second film, this plays to that strength even more. The relationship is cleverly written and well played so that they are aware of the things the viewer would be jokingly thinking (ie having the tabloids call Watson "bachelor John Watson" wink wink etc). The dialogue is comically strong but has enough about it to not just be for the laughs. Cumberbatch is really good but to be honest Freeman is probably better but is a little overlooked when it comes to the praise because he is less showy and also is dismissed as "doing that thing that Martin Freeman does" as if that in any way makes it less effective or notable. Scott still didn't totally convince me as Moriarty but the third episode gave him the material to help him make it work – in particular he made sense in the rather OTT way he was and how he interacted with Holmes. Stubbs, Graves and others are good in support and I particularly enjoyed the turn from Pulver in the first episode.

Filmed to look expensive and use locations well, the show looks and feels like much more than just another BBC light entertainment show – which is fitting because in most aspects it is what it is while also managing to operate above that level. So it is a Sunday night bit of fluff but yet it is very satisfying and engaging fluff. It is a quirky police procedural but yet it is gripping, sharp, witty and dramatic. It does play on a standard odd-couple theme but yet it makes it seem fresh and unique. So while it is all quite familiar it work so well as a whole that you never think this while watching. I think the praise of it as the second coming is perhaps a bit over the top but it was an excellent three episodes and I will very much be looking forward to more of the same when it comes.
9 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Reichenbach Fall
bobcobb3013 October 2017
The ending was wild and set the stage for a third series. Of course we knew he was faking his death, but I hope we get a good explanation about how it was done and not a rushed, nonsensical take.

The episode was a little shaky at times. I think this show tries to give us too many twists and make things too convoluted in the name of suspense. Just give viewers a simple story and we will be satisfied.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Incredibly tense, psychologically complex and extremely dramatic
grantss23 July 2016
Sherlock Holmes' nemesis, Jim Moriarty, is in the news again. He has just managed to access the Crown Jewels, stored in the Tower of London, open the vault of the Bank of England and open a prison, simultaneously. He is arrested, wearing the Crown Jewels, and doesn't managed to achieve anything financially from the endeavors but the feats are very impressive and represent a boast. Holmes testifies against him at his trial but Moriarty is acquitted. What follows is an intense cat-and-mouse game, with Moriarty setting out to smear Holmes' name, making him out to be a fake and all his solved cases elaborate schemes. With the weight of evidence against him, Holmes appears to be backed into a corner.

An incredibly intense episode. Not really a whodunit episode but a Holmes vs Moriarty episode. Moreover, Moriarty seems to have the upper hand. Their cat-and-mouse game is complex and highly intriguing.

The final scenes of the episode are quite easily the most dramatic of the series.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More plot twists than As the world turns on speed
putrasalju10 February 2012
I loved the first season of Sherlock, but watching the second one I noticed something was wrong in the first episode. It began with closing season 1's cliffhanger with a total anti-climax and it ended with a total unbelievable rescue. Sherlock infiltrating a Taliban kind of sect and somehow replacing the executioner.

I hoped it got better after that...but it didn't... a drug fog triggered by stepping on landmine-like triggers.

And it got worse in the third episode of this second season... Moriarty shooting himself in the face and Sherlock committing 'suicide'...

..the saddest part was that was I wasn't even surprised he lived through that ordeal. That is what this series is about....giving you 'surprises' that you never expected.... because said surprises are totally unrealistic.

Stuuf like this would not even fly in a cheap soap-show you see on daily television.. yet somehow grants you a 9 on IMDb.
20 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The most Intense of all the Sherlock episodes
shri61916 January 2012
Right from Season 1 every sherlock fan wanted more as each episode was like a movie in itself!! Be it the movies or the TV series i think its because of the SHERLOCK character himself!! You are bound to love and admire him regardless of who is playing it!! Such a clever awesome fantastic guy and of course not complete without john Watson!!(Robert and Jude law are great too!) In the finale of season 2, seeing what Moriarty was capable of in the first episode I expected more chaotic crimes which only our man sherlock was capable of solving...though we were given only glimpses of it the Intensity of who is going to win finally and whether sherlock survives kept it going!! After the Joker if there is one villain you cant help but respect its JIM MORIARTY...whoever is gonna die the other will miss his nemesis badly!!

A gripping final 5 minutes when you echo john Watson's feelings not wanting the inevitable to happen!! I am thankful to all other crazy fans like me out there for not letting out what happened out in the loose and i got to see it myself for the first time!! How relieved was I to see that face for the last 3 seconds!! Hoping for a equally gripping Season 3!!!

Admiration for Sherlock..Grateful to Watson and Molly..Respect for Moriarty!!
6 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sherlock: The Reichenbach Fall
Gilliam12317 January 2012
I came to this episode, and was, due to the hype, expecting it to be the best episode of Sherlock yet. But it's just not. The pacing for this episode is slow, and only takes place over a couple of days, which reminded me of A Study in Pink. The plot is simple: Moriarty is back and wants to attract sherlock's attention. The episode does start with a fairly comical scene in which Moriarty steals The Crown Jewels and robs the bank of England in Broad daylight. I know he's a genius, but come on, he's not that good! The actor who plays Moriarty, Andrew Scott, is great at playing version of Moriarty who so bored of life among 'normal people' that he has tipped on the verge of insanity. I felt that the middle of the episode was very strong, especially a scene where Sherlock was in a Taxi, and Moriarty came on the TV, telling him about the tale of Sir Boastalot, which is a parody of what was going on at the Scotland Yard with Lestrarde and Anderson at that exact time. The episode had a lot of buildup to what was ultimately a disappointing climax. Despite the clever wordplay of Richard Brook/Riechenbach, Moriarty didn't jump off the building, and instead shot himself. I felt Mroiarty's death was gotten out of the way very quickly to make way for Sherlock's apparent death. But the biggest problem of the episode is exactly what Guy Ritchie did wrong too. In The Final Problem, Moriarty and Sherlock both jump from Riechenbach, and Watson does't know Moriarty or Sherlock are alive. It's not until 3 years later, in The Adventure of the Empty House, that Watson walks in to find Sherlock sat in their flat. To reveal that Sherlock is still alive before Watson has even left his funeral is't incredibly accurate. Although the quality of the episode changed a lot, Steve Thompson's script is better than it was in The Blind Banker, though I do think Moffat and Gatiss were assisting him more in this one. The acting is great, as usual, particularly Andrew Scott and Benedict Cumberbatch. Not a brilliant episode, but good enough to conclude the series. Sherlock may not be back on our screens until January 2014 as that is when Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman will have returned from New Zealand after filming the Hobbit.
5 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
absolutely brilliant
thomasgulch20 January 2012
One character I had continuously underestimated was Jim Moriarty. I think that Jimmy boy was quite possibly even brighter then was Holmes, but also was undeniably insane. James was taking on Sherlock because he considered Sherlock as intelligent as he was and jousted with Holmes as a form of distraction from the mundane boredom and stupidity of everyday existence. He even mocks Holmes for believing in the possibility of a few lines of computer code as a universal key into any encryption. Moriarty even hunches and walks a few steps mocking Sherlock as being a caveman. When he finally realizes that Sherlock is, at last, as gullible as the brightest of the talking monkeys, his endurance with life is finally over, his last hope - Sherlock has finally let Jim down -Jim now realizes he has to go through the rest of his life in utter resignation of never again being thrilled or excited and it is unendurable. As for the very end, face it boys and girls, we knew it was coming with its predictable TV cliché. Thank God for England, we Americans seemingly will never get to create or even watch Television of such brilliance and such awesome cinematography and editing, because Americans write for the marketplace and alas the marketplace is for 13 year old boys and girls.
5 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastic finale... Absolutely brilliant !!
ankisking18 January 2012
With warped mind games, jabs at the British news media and a showdown between the super-sleuth and his mighty opponent, this week was a fantastic finale on which to close the second series of 'Sherlock'.

For non-Sherlockian members of the audience, the title of this story referenced the Reichenbach Falls, the waterfall into which Sherlock Holmes and Professor Moriarty supposedly plunged to their deaths during a fierce tussle in 'The Final Problem'. For Arthur Conan Doyle the adventure was to be Sherlock Holmes' last one so that he could focus on more serious writing. However, due to the public backlash at the death of the world's most famous detective, Conan Doyle resurrected him.

Despite the thin source material, the writers produced a stunning conclusion that suited the series. The fall of Sherlock was cleverly executed by exploiting the detective's vanity. It was obvious that his intelligence was eventually going to get the better of him. It was an interesting route to take and worked so perfectly because viewers could readily believe that only Moriarty could have engineered such a twisted scheme.

The re-imagining of Moriarty as a psychopathic mastermind still sat uneasily, however this did not detract from Andrew Scott's acting. He played the crazy man well, particularly when he pretended to be Rich Brook, the actor that Sherlock had apparently paid to take on the role of his arch enemy. The marked contrast between the cowering, timid Brook and that of the derailed Moriarty was a credit to Scott. Saying this, his Moriarty still did not feel like the other side of the coin to Benedict Cumberbatch's Sherlock. If Moriarty's motive to destroy Holmes was purely down to his sheer insanity, then the argument for being Sherlock's equal dissolves because it is too simple for such a clever man. In the original text, Moriarty wanted to rid the world of Holmes because he was obstructing his criminal web. However, the episode was more about Moriarty wishing to beat his foe for the sake of it. For a character originally described as 'the Napoleon of crime' with an aptitude for maths, he simply came across as a lunatic lacking any acumen.

One performance worth mentioning was that of 'The IT Crowd' actress, Katherine Parkinson who played Kitty Riley a reporter for 'The Sun'. It was great to see her switch from the Sherlock 'fan' to the tabloid hack when her true identity was discovered. As the Sherlock obsessive, her performance was reminiscent of her character Jen from 'The IT Crowd'. But when she was unmasked, Parkinson delivered something quite different which gave a new edge to her acting. Perhaps, her character was used to have a dig at the British press, particularly during a period where there is an incredible amount of public skepticism towards the integrity of the news media. Her subplot seemed all the more relevant given the appearance of Kelvin MacKenzie, a former editor of 'The Sun', at the Leveson Inquiry last week. During the session, MacKenzie said that he still stood by comments he had made in a Leveson Inquiry seminar back in October, when he said: 'My view was that if it sounded right it was probably right and therefore we should lob it in.' MacKenzie's phrase seemed to fit perfectly with the way Kitty went about her journalism.

Overall, 'The Reichenbach Fall' was a powerful conclusion that toyed with the audience's emotions right until the very end. Sherlock's last phone conversation with Watson was gut-wrenching to watch. Cumberbatch showed Sherlock at his most vulnerable, the quaver in his voice evoked such sadness that it was hard not to be moved by the poignancy of scene. Nevertheless, it is important to note that without Martin Freeman's Watson, Sherlock would not be as human which makes the chemistry between them important. Watson grounds Sherlock and reminds him that he is not infallible and that he has flaws. On the whole, the Holmes of this series is very much human compared to previous incarnations. There is of course the tongue-in-cheek reference to the iconic sleuth via the deerstalker hat yet the writers on 'Sherlock' have reinvented the great detective for a new era. The beauty of 'Sherlock' is the brevity of each series. As each series is so short there is no room to for a dud episode and each adventure is shaped and honed to perfection. The overall effect is that the viewer is left craving for more. Series 2 has made its mark and will have certainly left a good chunk of the audience with withdrawal symptoms.
5 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst Sherlock story ever
larssteenberg26 December 2013
I haven't seen much of the new Sherlock, but have seen all the Jeremy Brett stories, which are fantastic and several others. So I will of course compare the story to the Brett story.

I like the story in the beginning, however it never become as good as the old one. However later in the story it is very difficult to understand and follow the story, and in the End it is so bad that I became pretty mad and all the guys I watched the story with did the same. The last 20 minutes were awful. It is the worst Sherlock story ever.

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER This story spoil Everything about Sherlock Holmes. He admit he is a fraud, and both Moriarty and Holmes did suicide - that is not Sherlock and it is not Moriarty. You see him die, Watson did see it himself and checked it, so no doubt he was dead. And then you see Sherlock in life in the last seconds. AWFUL Ending. They did it much more elegant in the old Jeremy Brett stories. Sadly they turn one of the best Holmes stories to the most awful story ever.
9 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Best episode of Sherlock
tewaridevansh-9705224 October 2018
This episode is best of the whole series. The most convincing and enjoyable. Acting level is awesome
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.