Capitão Falcão (2015) Poster

An unconventional superhero for Portugal
Starny27 April 2015
When I decided to watch Capitão Falcão, I had had the opportunity to realize there was a very positive feedback on this movie from some friends and acquaintances over the internet. Nevertheless, one is always a bit suspicious when it comes to a popular Portuguese film - don't get me wrong, there can be very good cinema in Portugal! - that doesn't let down.

This film is a satire, basically portraying the good and true Portuguese as a person of value, that loves their family, acts fervently towards any patriotic action and that is totally against Communism and its ideology. For a Portuguese who knows well the history around the dictatorship practiced in Portugal with António de Oliveira Salazar, like the most of us, it becomes even more shocking, although in a very funny way, how some individuals could manage to get a comedy out of what really happened.

Moreover, this movie is genuinely funny; there are crazy moves, fights, outrageous lines and even recreations from our childhood.

In conclusion, and although I can not consider it to be a perfect film, it is a true breath of fresh air when it pertains to the Portuguese film industry that also shows we are perfectly capable of laughing of ourselves and, more importantly, leave the cinema thinking, at least for once - I'm so glad I'm Portuguese!
22 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Probably a cult film
ricardosantos-4103130 April 2015
It has everything to become a cult film (in Portugal). Funny and with good action scenes. Jokes are well created, with the right timing, and they are really funny if you are "in the same page" with this kind of humor (no taboos).

Great job of Gonçalo Waddington! He is Capitão Falcão and vice-versa. After this movie there can be no other actor to play this role.

I would also congratulate the producers and the director to risk some political, controversial humor in a society that has no yet surpassed the trauma of the long dictatorship of the XX century and the abrupt changes after it.

Great movie, exceeds the expectations. I would recommend any Portuguese with a free mind to watch it.
24 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Portuguese fascist vintage superhero
guisreis22 April 2016
Forget Marvel, forget DC. Portuguese superhero "Capitain Falcon" is a vintage hero such as "Rocketeer" and "Spirit", but fights crime in the years of fascist regime lead by Salazar... supporting it! The movie strongly reminded me the not well known France-USA comedy "Mr. Freedom", from 1969, due to its high level of mock and politicization in a parody of both superheroes and conservatism, but is is even better, as it has been able to keep a nice pace, playing with absurd situations without missing the point. If it weren't campy, a comparison with "Watchmen" would also be appropriated. Hilarious, ironic and smart Portuguese film, strongly recommended! It is also visually sophisticated and has a nice soundtrack. Overacting is in the precise level required for a spoof like this. The grotesque evil represented in the movie by everything that is progressive increases the level of irony to the top. The relation between the fascist superhero and his sidekick, Puto Perdiz (Partridge Kid, but a much funnier name in Portuguese), and the nemesis represented by April Captains (what a great idea! their symbol is a carnation flower!) assure lots of laughs.
12 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Comedy that's funny in a Portuguese way
pedronbpereira10 May 2015
Probably one of the best Portuguese films of the last decades. With subtle and delightful details, portrays of satirical and humorous forms a dictatorial era of Portugal. With a unique and politically incorrect style, the director manages to tell the story of a patriot hero, against the dangers of change.Of course, you can take political and partisan elations up to today, but I believe the motive is just the fun and comedy. No comparison, but with similar traits, I would venture to say that this film would be a Forrest Gump crossed with the Batman series of the 60's to tell a small part of the recent history of Portugal.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Caricatura
c-as-i21 May 2015
In order to represent the time of Portugal ruled by António de Oliveira Salazar, this film creates a heroic character who defends Portugal and Salazar at all costs with the help of Puto Perdiz. over the film is approached Portuguese habits, the Spanish civil war, PVED (Surveillance and State Defence Police), also known as "pip" and the existing hatred for the communists.

Furthermore this film is a caricature to the State, all superhero movies, as well as the scenes of present actions ourselves.

It's a movie of humor. A humor that not everyone likes! But for the who enjoy this type of humor, they will have an hour and a half lots fun!
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Probably the best Portuguese comedy ever
dsabba13 December 2016
This movie is one of the best, if not the best comedy ever made in the Portuguese language.

The plot is a fun way to know about the Portuguese fascist dictatorship of Salazar and his new-state politics (Estado-Novo). The main character is Capitão Falção, a Portuguese soldier/super hero/patriot who struggles against communists (or how they call "Red menace") who tries to infiltrate his beloved country. As a super hero he has his own sidekick, Puto Perdiz.

A Fun movie, with a lot of quotable sentences and jokes. Highly Recommended!
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Simply Sucks
beautifulday-0825530 May 2016
The movie sucks and sucks badly. From the acting to the story. Too Long and boring, didn't get a giggle out of me. Just keep away of this. Had high expectations and had a huge disappointment. The movie sums up to a bunch of clichés and dry humor, with forced acting caracteristic to Portuguese cinema. Rumors of sequel out there that I surely wont watch! This is the kind of movie you either like or hate, I'm on the hater field. Wonders me why you only see false praise to this mess. I just keep asking myself why I spent 25 eur on this! It's clear that I didn't like this and try as I may cant say anything positive about this. The end credits put an end to my misery. Hope never to see or hear from it again. Not much more I can say about this sad excuse of a comedy.
2 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
DC Extended Universe Has Nothing To Worry About
This may be the worst movie I've ever seen. Aside from the tastelessness of having a comedy about António de Oliveira Salazar, it just isn't funny or entertaining in any way. It is very similar to a 1960's comedy in its cornball humor and contrived situations, but while it can be well done like in The Green Hornet, it's just not funny here. I think the movie was based around the novelty "look, it's António de Oliveira Salazar as a bumbling comedy figure" but it just fell flat in every regard. The guy playing António de Oliveira Salazar is so hammy that its hard to sit through that alone. I wonder what could have possibly made the studio think this was a good idea to produce. I thought France had some tasteless movies, but the Portugueses had us beat this time. France would never produce a comedy about António de Oliveira Salazar, although we did have that movie about Maréchal Pétain, La Rafle (2010). Chances are you'll probably never see this movie, since it was only released in Portugal and will probably never be released in the rest of the world.
0 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.