Cry Macho (2021) Poster

(2021)

Take It for What It Is
tomwood-7980517 September 2021
I wanted to watch this since the first trailer aired online/TV. If you're a true Clint Eastwood fan, you will stay patient and let him tell you a story. As Clint gets up in age, his characters continue to reflect the depth of his experiences and decades on Earth. Those who were disappointed in this movie probably pined for the energetic "Dirty Harry" side of Clint Eastwood, which only exists in a past era. This is an easy, enjoyable watch about a cowboy beyond his prime who does a little soul searching while on a mission. If you go into it understanding that it isn't a Michael Bay action thriller, you will set more realistic expectations. As such, Clint Eastwood remains true to his western roots, his acting keeps up with performers half his age, and he always makes sure to spotlight new blood within the cast of his films. If you are open minded this movie is worth your time.
280 out of 354 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Won me over
jaimemedina-3628817 September 2021
So listen, this isn't The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. There aren't a lot of gun fights or bar fights. It's just simple tender storytelling. And that's enough for me.
155 out of 209 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Strong Clint!
riccardopretto17 September 2021
Despite his age (91 years, WOW!), Clint still manages to make interesting and enjoyable films to watch.

The film is somewhat reminiscent of Gran Torino with a boy to "help". Beautiful setting in the style of Clint Eastwood! I love this actor!

Film seen in English in Zagreb.
165 out of 232 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointing
patriciariva19 September 2021
We recently watched The Mule and I was surprised Clint still had it in him to make a great film, but this one didn't reach the same level for me. Beautifully filmed, as all his movies are, but a predictable story with lame, and sometimes cringey, dialogue, and the kid was trying way too hard to act. Dwight Yoakam phoned in his part as well. The best acting was done by the rooster, honestly.

All in all, not unwatchable, but not one of his better ones.
151 out of 221 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An Amazing Story Telling
batuhan-tuncay17 September 2021
Amazing Clint Eastwood directed and took the lead role at the age of 91.

Ok there are some noticable limitations both in acting and directing. But still a a Heartfelt story telling. There.

I enjoyed every minute of it. Not because it's a swan song of a great actor and director but it tells a story from real world of seniors.

Thank you for the moment.
151 out of 230 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The kid cant act
darpecaric17 September 2021
Movie by itself its stale and slow,but the kid is god damn awful. So awful i had to stop after 60 mins. And this is coming from a Clint Fanboy.
138 out of 220 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A film with an old soul
guskeller22 September 2021
Cry Macho is a film with an old soul. Clearly, having Clint Eastwood (a 91 year old man) as both the protagonist and director contributes to that, but there is more to it. Everything about this production is slow and mellow, never getting too intense. The story is straightforward, small, and predictable. The editing is calm. The acting is gentle. Honestly, many viewers will find Cry Macho boring and they will have good reason. However, that doesn't make the movie bad.

In fact, Cry Macho is proficient from a technical perspective. Although it is rather passive, that is its goal. The story is of a tired, old cowboy who is somewhat defeated by life. It is fitting that the film would embody these resigned feelings. Add in apt themes addressing toxic masculinity and the result is concrete messaging. It's conventional and understated, but this film has its merits. Therefore, even though Cry Macho is certainly not a movie with wide appeal, it should be generally respected.

Writing: 6/10 Direction: 7/10 Cinematography: 7/10 Acting: 7/10 Editing: 8/10 Sound: 7/10 Score/Soundtrack: 7/10 Production Design: 8/10 Casting: 7/10 Effects: 6/10

Overall Score: 7.0/10.
12 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How is this a 6.9??
deejayzenit17 September 2021
Listen... I'm a huge fan of Clint Eastwood, but this is just depressing. Bad acting, a string of unlikely events and just an overall snooze fest. Props to Clint for doing this at 91, but me thinks it's time to retire...
148 out of 245 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Avoid if an Eastwood Fan
zac-4002019 September 2021
If you are a Clint Eastwood fan, avoid this movie at all costs. It is poorly written, the acting was terrible, and knowing how capable a younger Eastwood was in front of and behind the camera made this extremely uncomfortable to watch. The teenage co-star was horrible but did the best he could with the crappy script. There were more plot holes and continuity issues than a low-budget film school project. I have enjoyed most Clint Eastwood films and own many of them. Unforgiven, Pale Rider, and Gran Torino are some of the best films ever made. Cry Macho does him a grave injustice. I don't want to remember his career this way.
99 out of 161 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I've never left a review before, but want to do my part
autogreg18 September 2021
And help people avoid this movie. I love Clint Eastwood, but he made one movie too many. There really is nothing to like about this movie, maybe the rooster. Acting is horrible, Clint is in some scenes that are so out of character for his age that it completely takes you out of it. A couple women seducing him, a fight, breaking a wild horse in 10 seconds. I can only equate it to a high school level production with good cinematography. Just bad..
92 out of 153 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Save your time
ridethelightjake18 September 2021
As all of us were thinking going into this - it's a Clint Eastwood flick, it's going to be great. Well, that initial bias was wrong. This movie was poor from the first few minutes and continued to be poor many minutes later. The acting is awful. The storyline is awful. There's nothing that keeps you interested.
113 out of 193 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dreadfull!
ekrones19 September 2021
Clint Eastwood is one of my favorite directors, but when the best actor in your movie is a rooster, it's time to retire.
39 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not Good.
qormi20 September 2021
Clint Eastwood is a legend in his own time, and without his presence, the movie would be a complete and total farce, instead of just a farce.

Clint is 91. I assume he was 90 during production. He produced, directed, and starred in it. Everyone involved knew he was their boss, so he had free reign.

Clint is old and frail. He shuffles. He has an old man soft voice. Yet in the film, we see him throw someone to the ground, punch a man into submission, and this goes against nature. He's 90. There were two 40 year old women in the film who wanted to make love to gramps. He is 90... not the good looking, handsome stud from years past. The boy who co starred was supposed to have been a hardened criminal at 13... yet he spoke like an honor student from the suburbs. As a retired teacher, I look back on the years working in youth detention facilities, as well as tough inner city high schools. Real juvenile delinquents do not talk or act like that kid. Not by a long shot. And Dwight Yoakum simply cannot act... even when you just hear his voice on a phone conversation... really bad.

One more thing..Clint's character was hired by a man to drive from Texas to Mexico City to retrieve his son. The distance from Texas to Mexico City is over a thousand miles. The character, Mike Milo, is 90.
34 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Even the Title is Bad
leftbanker-119 September 2021
This movie is just bad, from start to finish. The best actor was Dwight Yoakum and he's not an actor. The kid was poorly directed and his accent was phony.

It's one thing for a woman half your age coming on to you, but it's ridiculous when you are 90 years old unless she just wants to change your diaper.

The story made little to no sense. Why would a guy hire someone he'd fired in the past and 90 years old to basically kidnap his son?
78 out of 132 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Simple compassionate story, not an action movie!
LiveLoveLead20 September 2021
This film is a slow burn, character story not an action packed flick. It's not perfect, and not one of Clint's best, but it's enjoyable and sweet. Yes, the film is predictable, the mom's character was unrealistic and a bit over-the-top (as were others), and there were some elements that were definitely far fetched/unrealistic, but we really enjoyed the heartwarming relationship that grows between the old, ex-rodeo rider, Mike Milo and the 13-year-old ornery, skeptical, neglected boy, Rafo; and the rooster added some fun and humor. It's a clean movie without language or nudity and a tender story at heart, IMHO! Sept2021.
27 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really bad acting
courtneyschaerer18 September 2021
I couldn't get past the first 20 minutes because the acting is that bad. End of story.
59 out of 98 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Goodbye Sir.
omarcantbestopped20 September 2021
I'm ok with Clint Eastwood the "BOSS" real life cowboy leaving us with this as his last acting role if that's the case.

It was a project of love and since he is divorced in real life, it hurts me to see him as he aged and in search of make believe love in his movies.

The star of the movie hands down "Macho" and he is not a chicken.
28 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Clint's First Zombie Movie
dfulker18 September 2021
After 10 minutes, I thought this was a terrible move. But then I realised I'd got it completely wrong. The acting is supposed to be wooden... because they're all dead! If you loved Clint Eastwwod's movies, dont watch this.
58 out of 97 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Beautiful Movie ... Clint Eastwood a master auteur at any age.
mandreasen200117 September 2021
A Beautiful Movie about wisdom, redemption, growing pains and growing old. Clint Eastwood creates a small masterpiece. As Mike (Clint Eastwood) is growing old into his final chapters of life, he mentors the parentally neglected, juvenile thirteen year-old boy, Rafa, who is in need of direction as he is quickly heading down the wrong path.

Mike must "pick up" Rafa from Mexico to deliver the maternally abused tween boy to his father (Dwight Yokum) back in Texas. What ensues is a sublime Road Trip movie crafted with pace and heart. The films subtle beauty shines in the sure, steady directorial hands of the 91 year old Hollywood legend.

Clint Eastwood continues to amaze crafting and acting in three late career classics Gran Torino, The Mule and his latest Cry Macho.

God bless Clint Eastwood and long live Clint Eastwood as he is a true National Treasure.
97 out of 178 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cry Macho (2021)
robfollower18 September 2021
If he walks a little slower ...sounds a little gruffer so what . At 91 Clint is great in his heart felt film ! What will you be doing at 91?

Eastwood through's a punch , rides a horse and retains his trade mark wry bad ass humor.

It seems like he should just keep doing what he obviously loves the most and never stop until ... well you know... :)

Look, some of the romantic aspects of the movie did not totally work , lets face it . But I do not give a damn Eastwood has earned his right for such liberties . It added some charm to the screen play as well hell, I am planning to follower his lead .I Thoroughly enjoyed this film. I will definitely be seeing it again. It may be his last creative work and I for one appreciate all Eastwood has given me for my entire life. He did a fine job directing and staring and it was my pleasure to go and support his work.

If you are a Clint Eastwood fan you should go see his new movie, you may not Rave about it as much as I am;

but I guarantee you'll appreciate his effort. And it may be the last . 7.5/10.
28 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why are people liking this
evrivali17 September 2021
I went to an early screening of the movie with high expectations since I'm a Clint Eastwood fan. The story seemed very promising and heartwarming and knowing Clint Eastwood I expected to cry my eyes out inside the theater. That's not what happened. At all. I almost fell asleep. The movies starts off pretty straight forward and the main story kicks of immediately. It continues to remain interesting for the first half hour but after that it seems like the screen writers had run out of ideas. The plot kinda stops and the only thing we are witnessing are Mike Mailo and Raffa hanging out. Nothing happens to move the plot forward. It's so forgettable that two days have passed and I'm struggling to remember what happened in order to write this review. The acting is also not good at all as Raff's lack of talent is obvious (Eastwood is great as always of course but unfortunately he is not alone in the movie). It's not a bad film but it's extremely unremarkable. You could save yourself some time and money by watching something else.
86 out of 160 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Clint is maybe showing his age a little but dayum...
cseverin-118 September 2021
He can still do a really great feel-good movie. My husband and I really enjoyed it. The Spanish was authentic, the horses gorgeous, and Clint Eastwood still is on my free pass list. I thought the kid did fairly well despite what some of the reviews below. No complaints.
33 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love Clint,but it is time to retire!
ariak-4968218 September 2021
I have always been a huge Clint Eastwood fan!

I have so many good memories from watching his amazing movies! In this one Clint acts well but the story and plot are really not appealing whatsoever! It is time to retire Clint, I am more than sad to write this,but it is the truth and a Fact.
52 out of 95 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I just Cried Mucho!!
tim-eckerd18 September 2021
Cry was replaced with anger. It's sad to see him this way, I feel I need to call my dad and make amends. It started bad and ended worse. I'm more mad at myself for not socially distancing from the TV.
52 out of 95 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst ever!
docwesley-9509618 September 2021
Don't waste your time. Terrible acting. No story. Sad that Eastwood is going to leave us at some point with the memory of such terrible films. Grand Torino should have been his last movie.
71 out of 134 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.