The Raid: Redemption (2011) Poster

Action, action, action
zarg781 September 2012
OK. So there's not that much of a storyline to this movie. It's pretty much just 90 minutes of non-stop action, however....

The characters are sufficiently developed with a couple of twists in the story to keep it interesting....

But let's keep it real -- you're watching this movie because it's a simple, straight-forward, feast of totally immense and very well-made ACTION that's so good that you just don't want this movie to end. I could hardly believe I'd just been sitting in a cinema for 2 hours when this movie ended.

'The Raid' is by far one of, if not THE best action movies I have ever seen and is a definite MUST for anyone's movie collection!
25 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Possibly the best martial arts film I've seen
bebop9871 April 2012
After seeing the trailer, I knew I had to see this movie. Rarely our my high expectation met but The Raid surpassed it. If your seeing this movie, it's because you want to see action and The Raid hit every mark. The action is a mix of shootouts, hand to hand weapons, and mostly good ol' fashioned fists.

The Raid proves again how far behind American action films are. I've seen other great foreign action films like Ong-Bak, The Protector, and Ip man but The Raid surpasses them by highlighting a martial art style not shown in any recent films. Its brutal and never lets up. It's not your typical ultra clean fighting that has been done to death but something that looks real and desperate at times as people try to survive outnumbered.

Story wise it isn't anything great but at the same time it's better than most martial arts films due to interesting twists and being incredibly well paced to before you know it its over and you want more.

If your a fan of action films, there isn't any better out there now or any even close in decades past.
188 out of 209 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Non-Stop Crowd Pleaser
gregsrants12 September 2011
The Raid, a new non-stop cornucopia action film, comes from the most unlikely of sources – Indonesia. But don't let the country of origin fool you. The Raid is jam packed with some of the best action sequences we've seen in years and audiences are sure to walk away with an adrenaline rush punch to the gut that far exceeds their forked (over) entertainment dollar.

Starring a bunch of actors we can guarantee you have never heard of and written and directed by Gareth Evans (another name you are surely not to recognize), The Raid offers big time action sequences chalked full of gunfights, knife fights and enough hand-to-hand combat to rival any movie in recent memory.

The idea behind The Raid is remedial. A group of well armed police officers enter a 15-story apartment complex overflowing with a group of better armed drug dealers and bad guys intent on holding their ground. The police are lead by an over anxious Lieutenant who leads his squad of mostly rookies into the apartment complex where they are quickly over matched and out gunned. Their objective is to find the drug lord who resides on the 15th floor and bring him to justice. Easier said than done.

Bodies on both sides of battle fall to the ground like rounds from a Gatling gun in an Arnold Schwarzenegger movie. The police – those that survived the opening shootout – are split into two groups with Jaka (Joe Taslim) fighting alongside the Lieutenant and a rookie officer, and Rama (Iko Uwais) who tries to protect an injured officer while battling the hordes of oncoming baddies.

What ensues over the course of the next 80-minutes is a rip-roarin' blast of gratuitous bloodletting. The gun battles are more intense than the bank robbery scene in Michael Mann's Heat, the apartment hallway battles make the scene in Oldboy look like a Pixar film and the cops are as overmatched as U.S. Army Rangers were against an entire Somalian town Black Hawk Down.

Director Gareth Evans clearly wants you to leave your brains at the door and celebrate in violent beatings and fight sequences that were stylishly choreographed and continue with such relentless regularity that you almost want to pause the projector to catch your breath before the next group of bare-fisted bruisers hit the screen. Our two main leads take more body blows than John McClane did in all four Die Hard films and their resilience and ability to be beaten to a pulp and yet have the ability and the strength to continue fighting is beyond this reviewer's comprehension.

If there was but one small issue we had with the film it was that everyone who lived in the apartment complex had the fighting skills of an UFC righter or karate expert. Young, small, big or tall, they hall knew how to deliver a multiple high-kicks or at least take one and get right back up for more.

There is a small twist in the film that is clearly evident a reel before the actual reveal on screen, but it hardly takes away from the fun filled excitement leading up to the plot turn.

The sum of all its parts makes The Raid a must-see for anyone appreciative of non-stop battles where machetes are luxury and where a broken fluorescent tube can send a packed theatre into jubilant applause. It may lack the sophistication of The Departed, but it catered to an audience that couldn't get enough by the half-way mark and then was left gasping for air like a prized fighter in the 12th round towards its conclusion.

www.killerreviews.com
303 out of 347 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Constant State of Perplexion
xxhimuraxx24 March 2012
I decided to wait a full day before writing a critical review on this movie to let my emotions die down - In conclusion i have nothing but praise for this movie.

If your goal is to walk into this movie and be psychologically challenged or expect great dialogue you will be disappointed. There are some movies that you need to walk into and know little of what will unfold to get the full cinematic experience. I always check the ratings of movies on IMDb before considering watching them and after reading some of the other user reviews on 'high octane' intensity and non stop fight scenes i in the least expected some good action in this movie. Even with that though i thought an entire movie could not be based on fighting scenes and score above an 8 on IMDb (boy was i wrong).

This movie is earning glowing reviews because of the action sequences filmed in the movie that place you in a cinematic experience where you actually feel like you are watching real men fight for their lives. It's nothing poetic with backflips and flexible positions but simply man vs man often equipping anything in the room to disarm/disable and kill their opponent. It places you in the hot seat viewing the closest things to actual killings - Now this isn't to say the movie slows down on blood spurts or zooms in when someone is getting their throat sliced - it simply shows it how it is, it's fast, real and intense.

In some of the other reviews you hear fans praising the knife fighting scenes. This movie was incredible with it's knife fights and how effective and swift they are in close quarters. The finish was always swiftly at the throat but that wasn't before 2 to 3 lightning touches to the chest/quads or arms to disable an opponent or render them shocked in pain.

Heres the bottom line: This movie was made on the smallest budget i've ever seen for any movie to hit international screens. The director and all actors are no names that you have never heard however i guarantee that you will never watch another action film again because the raid is groundbreaking in it's reality/intensity and quality of choreography.

Every movie that scores high ratings appeals to a certain group of audiences. This is a very specific movie but is well deserving of the praise it is receiving from our users at IMDb. It is my hope to see more of this action from the director and actors cause i honestly don't think i can ever watch a fighting movie again.

MUST WATCH 10/10 Excellent.
374 out of 435 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Minimal plot, intense action
yannigk25 March 2012
OK, let me start by praising Iko Uwais. Of all the actors, this guy fits the character flawlessly and is a highly likable actor. I thought I'd root for Joe Taslim (Jaka) better because of his better looks and taller figure but Iko is perfect.

The movie in terms of story: interesting. The premise is very simple, a bunch of cops trapped in a hellish building filled with the devil's men who knows silat and dead set on killing the cops. However, I can't really tell whats going to happen next, and there's enough twists that actually works, even if they were rather cliché (the rookie, the corrupt officers, the help from a friendly neighbor, the .. i should stop.. or i'd spoil the movie). There's nothing new in terms of plot, but that's not really a big problem. I sure do hope Gareth can find better writers to write the story next time.

What I do like is the pacing. It goes boom boom boom boom! and then it rests a bit before going into suspense mode, scary mode, and then boom some more.

Line delivery? Not very good. Some lines were obviously translated from English (it's written by Gareth himself) and some sounds quite cheesy (overused in other movies), like A: "Why us? why now?" B: "Why not?" Or "I need to get in, my wife is sick" And a bunch of others..

Secondly, some of them are not professional actors and as an Indonesian watching an Indonesian movie without subtitles, I couldn't catch most of the things they said! I wished there were subtitles!! I wished there were Indonesian or English subtitles so that the foreigners in indo can enjoy the movie as well! (although there's one guy with a manado accent who talks funny, obviously a joke which will not be noticed by foreigners) They either talked really quickly, or had poor articulation/enunciation that I couldn't hear what they said and had to ask my sister, who also didn't catch what they said, and had to ask her boyfriend. The only one actor whom I can hear clearly even when talking fast is the gang boss (Ray Sahetapi).. A veteran actor, obviously trained for acting.

By the end of the movie we also concluded that the Indonesian vocabulary in terms of curse words is so very limited. The word "anjing!" (means "dog") is used over and over, by everybody.. And the word "bangsat" (a bedbug) a few times.. "Babi" (pig) once, "kampret" (a small bat) once... They all basically means the same thing "Bastard"... So, this either means we are a really polite culture.. Or that they're trying to avoid censor.. Or that the translator for gareth's script has not enough vocabulary list... or maybe I really didn't get the badness of those animal curse words..

I mean I can think of many English curse words that is not too dirty.. Like.. Scum, filth, bastard, jerk, son-of-a...., prick, damn, what the heck, slime.. OK I don't really know how to translate those words into spoken Indonesian either so...

The fights were great. I can't comment on the choreography because I'm not a professional, but it puts you on the edge of your seat, so I think that speaks for itself. They hit hard, they fall hard, they kill hard, they die hard. I thought that some fights could be sped up a bit, as some moves looks like it lags a bit in terms of syncing, but only by a bit. If not, it adds a real touch to the physicality of the movie.

Most of the girls shrieked and made wriggling sounds during fight sequences (yes, one really shrieked out loud), and many sighed a relief, almost awkward laugh, when those fight sequences end. Which, in my opinion, means that the fights were a great success.

As an animator I felt the CG was a bit...hmmm... CG blood is slightly overused, but still acceptable, but one shot stuck out like a sore finger to me, the one where one guy falls over and lands on a balcony ledge. I really wanted to fix that animation.. Hahahaa... But again, that's because I'm a trained animator, as other people in the cinema gasped in their seats thinking that was real etc.

All I know is, it lived up to my expectations (a minimal story fight movie). I look forward to Iko, Yayan, and Gareth's next collaboration, which is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0hYVksfyrQ Again, if you're an action movie fans, you'd probably like it.
116 out of 135 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The "Star Wars" of action movie
adhipar17 December 2011
I think other reviewers have explained the film quite detail so I only write about the experience I get over this film.

The background story is about a SWAT team trying to bring a ruthless and untouchable crime lord to justice. However this film is only focusing on a specific event in that story : THE RAID part - that turns into a brutal, and bloody survival game. It's become a final match or showdown between good vs bad guys. And you should see it that way if you want to really enjoy it.

We don't watch a final sport's match, any soccer, football, MMA fight etc looking for the plot, do we? We come because we want a great show, excellent executions and brutal take down, and any other things that could rush our adrenalin to the max. So forget about the plot!

We enter the building along with the good guys. We scream, yell, jump etc every time they score, though some bad guys are so nasty that they also caught our attention. We are scared, worried, angry when their luck runs out. Our heart is pounding when we know exactly or we think they're entering a deadly situations. We hold our breath on some very tense moments (and this film has quite a lot of it), even feel their pain. In the end we go home feel that we're just attending a good. exciting and satisfying game - which we want to see it again and again if we can, and the good thing is, we certainly can.

The combination of the cinematography, choreography, shot's angles, the original score (I'm curious how Mike Shinoda will outperform an already good score), effects and the editing are so perfect as if you're there. And if you think the trailer is cool, it's just a tip on the ocean's surface from an enormous iceberg below. The film itself is super-super cool!

100 mins flies so fast and when the credit rolls, I still sit there, thinking if I could catch the next show - which sadly impossible because the ticket has sold out in minutes, several days before.

Of course, The Raid is not without flaws. The acting, the dialogs, the CGI, the twist - you know - those usual unconvincing stuff which you can find even in some blockbuster martial arts/action movies, can be improved. But overall it is a superb action movie so I understand the high-praised comments from those film festivals.

Now, you may wonder why I compare it to Star Wars. Back then, when I first saw Star Wars, I was very amazed not by the story, plots or the acting, but by the cinematography, special effects, the laser saber duel, the sound effects, the robots, all those hi-tech stuff which are so an eye opener that we have no choice to compare the next sci-fi movies with it.

The Raid does the same thing for action genre. And I will be waiting eagerly for the sequels or even the prequels just like Star Wars.

This film is best seen with your group of friends who enjoy hardcore and bloody fights, so you can cheer, scream, yell, sigh together and talk about it (and probably count how many ways to die/kill people in this film) on the way home. Go to toilet before the shows so you don't miss any scenes. Snacks and drinks could be considered as 'nice to have' items. I was seating on the edge of my seat and my eyes were glued to the screen almost all the time that I only sip my drink once in the first 10 minutes and haven't touch my snack until the credit rolls.

9.5 out of 10! Sorry for my English.
209 out of 256 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
king_vsjn21 November 2011
My number one list action movie is The Matrix because it balanced the depth of the story with the action. Somewhere among the top list, there was also The Dark Knight for the same reason. However, when speaking only 'action', I used to choose a Hongkong movie, Flashpoint, starred by Donnie Yen. Before Flashpoint, I'll choose a Thailand movie, Ong Bak which launched Tony Jaa career internationally. Now, when I speak an action movie that speak for the action, I will choose an Indonesia movie, 'THE RAID', choreographed by Iko Uwais and Yayan Ruhiyan and starred by them.

The problem with Donnie Yen's Flashpoint was you need to wait about one hour and fifteen minutes to get the action really start but when it started, it was really worth to wait. The fight between Donnie Yen and Collin Chou, inspired by MMA especially BJJ was so well choreographed and made audience hold their breath and asking "are this sh*t a real thing?". In Evans' latest, THE RAID, you won't need those one hour and fifteen minutes because he already made the audience gasps in the first fifteen minutes.

I wouldn't say a thing about Ong Bak because in my opinion, Merantau was more superior than Ong Bak. The problem with Merantau was Gareth was trying to bring audience to understand the culture of Silat first because showing the full action.You can said, Merantau was like Yamakasi doing for parkour while The Raid was the B-13 of silat.

It is useless to review this movie from the plot because there wasn't any significant plot. The plot was made only to bridge between one action scene to other action scene. But d*mn! Even with the weak dialog and cliché plot, Gareth executed it well so we, the audience, didn't have time to analyze this or that. What we know, we were flooded by f*cking awesome action movies from infiltration scene, massacre scene, and of course, martial art scenes when the characters have run out of bullets.

I remember when one of Merantau review said Merantau was Ong Bak when handled professionally. The same can be said with THE RAID. The Raid was Flashpoint with larger actions and handled professionally from the music, cinematography, and even the visual effect.

The music composed by Aria Prayogi and Fajar Yuskemal was like a combination between Hans Zimmer's Joker theme and Rage Against The Machine. It brought the audience immediately to the brutal tone of the movie. In some scenes, those music suddenly disappeared, leaving uneasiness to the audience. I wonder how Mike Shinoda of Linkin Park will interpret the scene to his score because Prayogi and Yuskemal score was perfect for the tone of this movie and it was really different with any Linkin Park score.

The sound effect, oh my, I hardly believe this is Indonesian movie. Even Hongkong movies are rarely have this good sound effect, You can differentiate between the bullet shot next to you to the bullet shot from the next room, The sound of knife slashing was so beautiful to listen and combined by the beautiful art of Silat, the scene was a masterpiece of a brutal dance of angel of death.

THE RAID has little visual effect but when they did, it was done amazingly and effectively. Frankly, prior to watch this movie, I was a little bit disappointed when I heard there will be slow-motion scene in the movie. However, Gareth proved me wrong. He was not Zack Snyder. The slow-motion was done only in one scene and perfectly executed which I hardly imagined how it should be done in other way.

Matt Flanery and Dimas Subhono as DOP played camera creatively and yet it captured all the motion perfectly. In fact, some scenes was like a scene taken from art movie due to their creative angle but it didn't reduce the brutal tone of the movie, didn't make the impact of every punch and kick weaker, in fact, in some scenes, it enhanced the "BAM!" factor.

The choreography was the factor which made this movie popular. I have said previously that even the fight scene between Donnie Yen and Collin Chou in Flashpoint had been surpassed by almost every fight scene in the movie. In Merantau, Gareth didn't want to show the brutal image of silat due to the main character of that movie was a naive and kind young man from village. In this movie, the characters are cops and bad guy, so either be killed or kill. Both Iko and Yayan have choreographed it so well so even one reviewer said "I didn't know there was so many ways to kill people until I saw this movie" and he was right. Jeff Imada (Bourne Identity) and Yuen Woo Ping will recognize these people from Indonesia and you'll probably hear about them in coming years among the top list of fight choreographer.

After watching this movie, I found myself lost my appetite to other action movies. For me, other action movies was a snack before I can watch the next Gareth Evans project, BERANDAL.

• Kunderemp -
314 out of 397 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just when you thought the book couldn't be rewritten . . .
Coolestmovies3 October 2011
NOTE: Early, gushing reviews from TIFF Midnight Madness presentations should not generally be trusted, as many fest-goers are unable to separate the film from the experience, and formal critical consensus often sends most Midnight films into obscurity. Thankfully, THE RAID earns its stripes and deserves its praise, and stands firmly above the typically overeager reactions heaped on many other films screened in the Midnight program this year and in years past.

• - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In the future, when someone tells you a movie is wall-to-wall martial arts and gunplay, you should have no choice but to ask them how it rates against this picture, which has so much gunfire and brutal martial arts action -- all of it meticulously choreographed in ways more refreshing than I'd ever have thought possible in this world of peak-performance Donnie Yens and Tony Jaas -- that I very nearly lost the hearing in my right ear, in no small part thanks to the tendency of TIFF sluggos to mistake volume for quality when adjusting their sound levels in an aged, less-than--acoustically-ideal theatre.

Star Iko Uwais is the real deal: wiry, lightning-fast and evidently the leader of a team of experts that truly takes martial arts choreography into new territory with this film (and, to a lesser extent, MERENTAU before it). If there's a downside to his inevitable celebrity because of this film, it's that Indonesian cinema in general will fare no better than Thai cinema has in the wake of Tony Jaa. Like Jaa, anything Uwais makes from this film on -- especially if he keeps teaming with writer-director Gareth Evans, as he should for at least a couple more pictures -- will gain instant and welcome interest from the west, while the rest of Indonesian cinema (such as it is!) will remain the domain of low-brow entertainment that caters largely to the locals, with the exception of the occasional horror movie that can be scooped up for exploitation by "Asian Extreme" DVD labels and streams in the U.S. and Europe.

What really separates this picture from the hordes of martial arts films from the region is its heavy use of Silat, the native martial art of Indonesia. I've seen a billion martial arts pictures over the years, and a million "styles" to go with them, but I'll admit my knowledge of Silat was absolute zero, and this movie turned out to be a wonderful wakeup call.

The key thing about Silat is that it involves knives, lots of 'em, and the film's heroes and villains deploy them with extreme prejudice for almost the entire duration. One stab won't do, but ten capped off by a throat slashing is a good way to gauge whether you've won the battle.

By way of example, picture the exemplary alley-fight-with-sharp-weapons between Donnie Yen and Jackie Wu Jing in SPL (a personal favourite sequence). Now, double the speed (!), and make the ultimate goal to stab, slice or otherwise eviscerate your opponent into oblivion, and you've got most of the hand-to-hand combat in THE RAID. Hero cop Uwais has this neat little trick where he stabs a long blade deep into your upper thigh, then yanks it clean down to your kneecap. Ouch! This thing is bloody with a capital B, but it's so exceptionally well choreographed, photographed and edited that you never lose sight of the geography surrounding the combatants or feel like you've missed a single blow or puncture as each new pair (or group!) of fighters grinds each other down.

Evans' editing in particular is a standout, and rather refreshingly, it isn't used to hide little bits of phony business or make the fight participants look more skilled than they really are, such as it often is in so many action pictures these days (both in western, and, sadly, many Asian cinemas; Legend of the Fist, I'm looking at you). Evans' performers know their stuff, and his editing does more showing than telling.

As to the picture as a whole, if you thought the final 40 minutes of John Woo's HARD BOILED were collectively one of the greatest pieces of action cinema from anywhere ever, imagine that cinematic Nirvana expanded to feature length, and with virtually no fat. The movie starts with a team of elite cops attempting to covertly secure a maze-like high-rise slum apartment building run by a merciless drug lord (when we first meet him, he's executing five bound and gagged men in his office, but he runs out of bullets for the fifth guy, which causes him to casually grab a hammer out of his desk drawer . . . ). Within minutes, though, his goons -- who populate every floor of the building like cockroaches, fight like rabid dogs and spontaneously appear around every corner and out of every doorway -- turn the tables and wipe out most of the fleet in a monster battle of guns, fists, feet and the ubiquitous knives, trapping just a precious few of our heroes on the sixth and seventh floors with little hope of escape.

Aside from a couple of quiet moments where allegiances on both sides of the field shift, not unexpectedly, that's pretty much it in terms of plot, and it obvious the filmmakers would have it no other way. This is a showcase, for Silat, for Indonesia and for Iko Uwais, who is very much the "next Tony Jaa" (as I'm sure he'll be labeled far and wide), for better and, somewhat regrettably, for worse in terms of his country's film industry, for he may very well come to single-handedly represent it around the globe. Not that I'm complaining after having been winded by such an audacious effort as THE RAID.

Barry Prima who?
180 out of 224 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
bone shattering, jaw dropping, brutal, high octane, non-stop action fiesta
Fella_shibby23 February 2016
This is the second collaboration of Evans and Uwais after their first action film, Merantau, released in 2009. Both films showcase the traditional Indonesian martial art Pencak Silat, with fight choreography by Uwais and Yayan Ruhian, who also worked on Merantau. After watching merantau, i was waiting anxiously for the raid redemption. Didn't had the hope that it might release in India. There was no endorsements or trailers on Indian channels. No marketing, but just a small ad in Bombay Times newspaper. I was rejoiced after i came 2 know that its releasing in theater. I had hope in Gareth n Uwais, but many ppl here was not aware of 'em. If you like martial arts movies, this one will blow you away! The choreography on the fight scenes is insane. This movie is a bone-shattering symphony of brutal fight sequences, awesome gun play and heart-thumping tension. The Raid's main lead played by the impressive Iko Uwais and the film's fiercest villain Yayan Ruhian are both incredibly skilled, life-long practitioners of the lesser known Indonesian martial art Pencak Silat. Awesome direction n writing by Gareth Evan. Really hats off to him for giving us (action movie junkies ) a masterpiece like this. Awesome editing by Gareth Evan. U don't feel bore even for a single minute. Best choreography by iko uwais n yayan ruhian. Nice cinematography by Matt flannery.
11 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Top of The Class. Great Movie, Great job!
reysia28 March 2012
High Rating and Awards? People may be tricked for the first time because this movie comes from a very unusual country, Indonesia. It's not often we see action movie comes from this country. Furthermore, the casts also aren't well-known at all in the world but guess what, they're really giving a great show in this movie. Gareth Evans, a Welsh born writer/director/editor repeat his success creating action movie after several years ago releasing another action movie also made in Indonesia.

For me, the real superstar in this movie is Rama (Iko Uwais), who was introduced as a newbie special force in the team. Fantastic martial art movements, which is traditional martial art called Pencak Silat from Indonesia truly filled this movie with wowing watcher's experience. Fast moves, intense close combat and his knife play in combat successfully increased my adrenalin. The best part of Iko was when He's about to face several people alone in a hallway. That was obviously cool. I think Iko plays the part like Jason Statham (fighting) and Steven Seagal (with his knife) but only better. The Raid was rained with bloodbath. So it's wise to avoid bringing children to watch this movie.

The other character that stole my attention was this man called Mad Dog (Yayan Ruhian). In my opinion, it'll be difficult to find this kind of man in this world. His expression and fighting style was stunning.

When I watch movies, I always intensely wait for the twists. The Raid doesn't give so many twists but it still has enough twist that improve the story. Still this is a nicely written story. Simple idea but creatively developed.

At first, I thought it'll be a one man show where Rama played the whole part of fighting till the end. But I was wrong. The Raid gives fair proportion to fighters in this movie. Rama isn't the only one that showed a great fight against the enemy in this movie. There're the sarge, Andi, the last cop in control room. The only thing that disturbed me a little bit is the original dialog which is Indonesian. I don't know but it's kinda awkward for me to hear the conversation in Indonesian although it's my native language. As I imagine, it may sounds better in English. Never mind, it's just me.

With only 1.1 million spent on this action movie, surprisingly give me such a great experience in cinema. Great movie. Great job!

117 out of 149 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Crackdown
hellraiser726 September 2012
One of the things I've always loved about the action genre is that like with the suspense thriller genre it's sometimes about the what ifs. Whether it being framed and forced to run, some evil organization trying to kill you, or surrounded by enemies, the joy of the action genre is on the possibility of overcoming and surviving the worst case scenario.

The plot is great because it's simple and it feels plausible, whose to say no crime lord or organization ever had this ambush operation in the back of their mind. And once again it utilizes the few or one against the world scenario, I always love those types of battles because it's just always fun to think you can beat incalculable odds and survive.

There real isn't much in characterization or characters, their all pretty much the typical archetypes. This film were purely in it for the action and theirs nothing wrong with that. I love the fact this film is action action it doesn't bother with any stupid boring melodrama or even complexity and twists that come out of the blue; it's simply no nonsense and straight to the point, which is what most of my favorite films are.

The production value is great, it was done on a low or modest budget but it was used well and right. I really like the use of the building location, the fact it was dingy, dirty, gritty, and dark really helped give the film the element of suspense. The pacing is great almost like a video game, there is just constant action and suspense that you almost can't afford to take a breath. I really love the music score by Mike Shinoda, some parts of it were just exiting and really got your adrenaline pumping, but in the suspenseful sequences it was really suspenseful it almost felt a little reminiscent of the music I would hear in a John Carpenter film which is awesome since he's my favorite movie director.

The suspense is great I really like how you do feel a sense of isolation and dread at times where the next turn in the hallway, corner, or floor could have a group of scumbags walking down ready to kill. Or even any of the doors a scumbag could pop out for a surprise attack. Let alone the fact this is all taking place in the interiors of an apartment building so there really aren't many places or space to really run or hide.

But of course the best thing about the film is the action. There are a lot of memorable action sequences all superb choreographed and executed. Iko Uwais as Rama I think is a talented martial artist, I really love it when he executes some Mui Tai punching elbow combos he has some of the fastest hands and arms I've seen. I even like the gore effects in some places their practical and there are plenty of creative kills, my favorite is when Rama smashes the head of one scumbag on a wall about six times. And of course the battles themselves like one which is in some hallway and there are scumbags just popping out left and right charging toward Rama he just makes really quick work out of them with his knife and baton, just seeing him use the weapons and the techniques and combos he executes is awesome. But of course my favorite is the the two on one battle which is one of my favorite fights ever.

The Raid has plenty of room for excitement.

Rating: 4 stars
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Go. See it. Now.
tberez1 August 2012
i really didn't think i would ever rate a movie 10/10. but i'm doing so now without a 2nd thought.

the script in nothing special, the dialogs blow your mind. But let me just say this: it's just a real Live Stream looking action movie, no silly slow-motion-zoom-in blood filled intercuts, just man against man until one can fight no longer. and it doesn't stop for a second, no bathroom breaks, trust me.

my only problem with this move is that i will never be able to enjoy another martial arts action film again.

Now stop reading reviews and go see it :)
21 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Black Hawk Down" meets Asian Extreme Action
kgprophet31 March 2012
Increasingly now, foreign filmmakers are making better Hollywood action movies than Hollywood is. In this case an English director who evidently now works in Indonesia seems to have mastered all the action story tenets despite this being only his 3rd feature film. Even more, the number of layers to this story parallels the number of floors in the apartment building that is at the centre of this film. All I could think of is how Hollywood will eventually commandeer this film and make a lifeless by-the-numbers knock-off that will only stain the original. And of course, the budget of the original is about the same as a Hollywood B-list movie actor's salary.

This film is a disciple of the Asian extreme action genre, with over-the-top karate and acrobatics mixed with guns and violence. Betrayal isn't just a plot twist in these films, it's the first act. At least 5 or 6 betrayals are expected in these type of films where thieves betray other thieves, cops betray other cops, and honest guys get betrayed by best friends. What makes this film a standout is the unflinching action and well choreographed fight sequences by leads Yayan Ruhian and Iko Uwais. Early Jackie Chan movies got this kind of notice overseas because of their energy and gifted action instincts. Here, Gareth Evans is a one man powerhouse writer, director, and editor, masterminding this intricate chess match of good guys trapped on the sixth floor, with angry thugs coming up from the fifth floor and determined killers descending from the seventh floor. You feel our heroes feel trapped and vulnerable. Evans finds sources of tension from many places. The apartment building has tenants with unknown loyalties. The man heading the raid has unknown motives. Each character is well established with a minimum amount of screen time, keeping the action going.

I was urged by a movie reviewer to see this film, describing it as one of the best action movies ever made. And you have to agree, this film, after providing a few minutes of backstory, takes off straight into the police raid of the apartment building filled with bad guys and a gang lord. Cinematography takes lessons from "Saving Private Ryan", using hand-held documentary style footage during firefights, and blasting the soundtrack with dozens of loud guns firing at once. The pulsing synthesiser score also hits with the punchy music stabs that propel the momentum as the police troops make their way up to the big bad guy on the top floor.

Action sequences are creative and provide new angles and fight tactics that keep the hand-to-hand combat kinetic. Fans of the Bourne movies are encouraged to seek this out. (Not a coincidence that a Bourne Legacy trailer played before this showing). Many human moments also ground this film. An innocent man caught in the crossfire, gets asked to risk his life. A police squad leader who gets frustrated when the man conducting the raid puts his troops at risk. A child hired as lookout for the gang lord must die in order to prevent him from sounding the alarm.

There is an intensity to this film that resembles scenes from "Black Hawk Down", with very intelligent setups for conflict, and innovative approaches to getting from point A to point B. This fresh drive, propelled by good guy Iko Uwais makes this 1 hour 40 minute film zip along with no time out to catch your breath. The fact this film is subtitled will prevent it from being a widespread hit, although it will no doubt have a long life on DVD. Instead, I expect director Gareth Evans to be directing movies with 150 times the budget of this small gem within a very short time.
39 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is action. This is it.
Tehmeh13 December 2013
I'm one of those prejudiced individuals who rarely watch non-English speaking films. Sometimes I don't like a certain language (especially Swedish or french movies), sometimes I can't tell people apart from each other (especially Asian movies). I know I'm an idiot, but that's why it took me some time before I watched this one. I'm so glad I did. Just watched it on blu-ray. My blu-ray had no features or extras, so that was disappointing. The movie however was far from it.

There is so much to like about this film. I'll try to explain why I enjoyed this:

1) The environment. A confined building with many floors. It makes that much difference to me when the environment is not only realistic, but cramped in a manner that makes the action exciting and creative, adding to the overall intensity.

2) The brutality and choreography in the fights. There's some quite imaginative stuff here, and lots of it - there is no way anyone can say that there is not enough action in "The raid redemption". Trust me, there is. This is not your usual PG13-pudding. There is an abundance of shooting, stabbing, punching, breaking bones and everything you can think of. Everything is shown in a brutal manner, and what I like the most about it is that the movie pushes forward with such a pace that it doesn't really overdramatize or dwell on the gore, it all just happens in the heat of everything. This makes the violence both satisfying and not too hard on the viewer.

3) This is an action movie and nothing else. No complicated story lines, no romance, not much character development but straight to the point instead. The movie gives enough reasons for what is happening, and it's easy to enjoy it as it is: "just" an action movie with nothing in it to distract you from what's it all about. In many ways it feels much less silly than most action films: since it's not trying to build up much of a story, it doesn't fail on the terms of story. Same with characters.

4) This is how you use a budget. A little over one million dollars? Simply amazing. "Green Lantern" cost 200+ million dollars and it was a mess without any passion in it. Granted, not the best example, but you get the point. When you love what you do and you're good at it - while surrounded with a good crew - you get this. Many shots are genuinely very well made and impressive. Even a 5-second continuous shot with a moving camera can look pretty amazing when you see how cramped and lightning fast the action can be with multiple people fighting each other. It's all quality.

I liked the actors. Plenty of good stuff (read: fighting and/or looking cool or evil) from Iko Uwais, Joe Taslim and Yayan Ruhian to name a few. Everyone did their job.

This is a very similar film to "Dredd". In fact, many would say that "Dredd" blatantly ripped off "The raid redemption" with the concept of making a multi-story building as the setting. Maybe it did to an extent, but "Dredd" is still a good film while "The raid redemption" is naturally more original. If I'd have to compare the two, I'd say that this one has definitely more action and the emphasis is on martial arts instead of guns and the surrounding fantasy world.

What I didn't like? I didn't always like the soundtrack. Sometimes it sounded too...generic and lazy. Perhaps there was a little too much action at times, if that can be considered a flaw in a movie like this. That's it. No other complaints.

If you like brutal, intense action and/or martial arts to boot, check this one out. You might enjoy it as much as I did.
11 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's really THAT good
jo-185-5671729 October 2012
After reading many good reviews about The Raid I had high expectations for this Indonesian martial artwork. I'm a big fan of the first Ong Bak and this one exceeded Tony Jars masterpiece in my opinion.

The story is clearly designed for one purpose: To be able to put as much action into this epic as possible (it's not the most original, but hey, who cares?!). The choreography is beautiful, cinematography over the top (so creative and still always on point), the editing is astounding. I've watched a lot of martial arts movies but this one made me feel the pain more than any other movie I've ever seen. You know the feeling when your body twitches with the action? Yes, it's THAT good!

I'm throughout impressed by this and command the writer director team! Indonesian cinema isn't the most popular but this movie puts it on the map. Can't wait to see more like it!
11 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Indonesians Are On A "Mission"
official-filmbioskop19 March 2012
Surely I was lucky enough being chosen by Indonesia International Fantastic Film Festival (iNAFFF) committee as one of local movie-reviewers to see it on the big screen as a closing movie last fall. Yes, The Raid from Merantau Films and XYZ Films has become global most-awaited action movie after won Midnight Madness Award on 2011 Toronto International Film Festival. Afterwards, Sony Pictures called for a Hollywood remake after got the rights for international release first including U.S. market on March 23, 2012 - same date for hometown release.

An elite group of SWAT police officers receive a very difficult task, invade an apartment building that has been taken over by large network of dangerous criminals led by Tama. The chief Jaka with two of his reliable members, Rama and Andi moves one level to another, only to see their best plans being sidelined. Yet character revelations start bubbling to surface which should be done by a series of immense fights using guns, knives or even bare fists. Who will be the last man standing with less victims on his side?

Director Gareth Evans continue his success from Merantau (2009) by upping the intensity in such bigger way. The location itself creates some unintentional claustrophobic atmosphere to make sure those cat and mouse fights have really nowhere to hide. Shaky-cam and quick cuts are used perfectly to maximize viewers' involvement into dynamic sense of rhythm. So, you feel like capture those moments with your own taste before transform 'em all into some certain reactions like grasp, goosebumps etc.

Jakarta born, Iko Uwais clearly made the most gigantic impact with his extraordinary fighting skills on display which known as Pencak Silat, our very own traditional martial-art. Yeah, you might compare him with Thai's Tony Jaa from Ong Bak. Combined with cold-blooded Donny Alamsyah, the duo are serious combo to beat. High-experienced actor, Ray Sahetapy also nailed his role as a super villain Tama with slick face expressions and dreadful voice tones. Another name who stole the show is Yayan Ruhian whose crazy act as Mad Dog might be remembered by the fans of the movie for a long time.

Violence is definitely an issue here, so it couldn't avoid to be rated R. Bath blood between one-on-one or group combatants are everywhere in the building. Sometimes you just don't see it clearly in front of your eyes because flashy editing from Evans are smart enough to present what should be seen or not without losing any meaning of it. "Hardcore" music scoring from Aria Prayogi and Fajar Yuskemal successfully brought the audience into silent mode for most of 101 minutes intriguing action with less predictable twists along the way.

Even though the budget is fair low, approximately $1,1 million, it is effectively spent into every department of the movie. Basic storyline, however, outplayed by convincing choreography from the casts. The Raid is a non-stop action from start to finish, let the final battle alone is near flawless. Absolutely impressive to keep audiences on the edge of their seats, even still breathless when the credit titles rolling. A must-see in the cinema to feel some rare "vibrant" experiences. Respectful Evans has deliberately sent the message towards international viewers that lesser-known Indonesian movie industry is about to change in the next few years.

101 out of 141 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the GREATEST Action Movies EVER!!!
kphizzy1018 April 2012
Pure non-stop action is what this movie is all about! If you are a fan of martial arts/action movies, you must see this whenever you can. The camera angles are perfectly shot to keep you involved in the movie. A lot of times, I felt as if I was right by the actors. The music is perfect and syncs well with each scene of the movie.

There is an extreme amount of fighting, blood and gore, and profanity, so I don't think this will be for the kids lol.

The story is put together very well and has a few twists and turns that keep you on the edge of your seat.

GO SEE THIS MOVIE!
32 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"The Raid: Redemption" - 30 Stories of Sheer, Bloody Adventure!
dee.reid3 September 2012
In writer-director Gareth Evans's 2011 Indonesian action flick "The Raid: Redemption," only about 10 minutes of the entire picture is spent developing the film's plot before it's all-out, literally non-stop wall-to-wall action sequences. There's a little something early in the beginning about a Jakarta SWAT team being sent to a 30-story apartment building to fish out a sadistic drug lord named Tama Riyadi (Ray Sahetapy), who rules this crime-ridden tenement with an iron fist.

As could be expected, although things start out well as the team slowly but assuredly takes over the building floor by floor, all hell breaks loose once they reach the sixth floor - it must be their (un)lucky number.

"The Raid: Redemption" is an astonishing martial arts-action thriller with plenty of sequences of hard-hitting, bone-crunching, bone-breaking action to keep your mouth watery; like most martial arts movies coming out of Southeast Asia these days, the actors look and sound like they're really going at it in full-contact, and it really looks and sounds like they're really getting hurt, too. Using elaborate martial arts choreography featuring the Indonesian fighting art Silat (plus borrowing a page or two from the Tony Jaa school of hard-knock fighting) and combining some of the most valuable elements from American action movies such as "Die Hard" (1988), "Assault on Precinct 13" (1976), "The Rock" (1996) and "The Warriors" (1979) plus Takashi Miike's samurai bloodbath "13 Assassins" (2010), "The Raid: Redemption" tells an exotic, self-contained story of fighting men fighting for survival.

It's another pristine example of Asian action cinema done right that may have something in it for those primarily accustomed to Hollywood action flicks (if they look hard enough). While the movie does contain your usual intensely bloody shootouts and foot-chases down darkened apartment building corridors, the main focus is on the unarmed, closed-quarters combat fighting sequences, which there are way more of than gratuitous gun battles and are shot with such energized, bloody gusto that you honestly can't help but feel every single blow delivered - whether it be a good guy or a bad guy. Yes, once they lose their weapons, they have to punch, kick, and claw their way out of the 30th circle of Hell. After almost all the SWAT team members are nearly wiped out by Tama's thugs, it's up to a young SWAT officer named Rama (Iko Uwais, from Evans's earlier cult film "Merantau," which I haven't seen) to get his remaining teammates out alive and to safety.

Pretty much in all of Rama's many, many hand-to-hand combat confrontations with both armed and unarmed thugs, anything and everything goes. Additionally, anything and everything available (and within reach) becomes a weapon - hammers, garrotes, machetes, axes, propane tanks, police batons, knives, broken fluorescent tubing, and the occasional splintered door. It's all really stunning stuff to witness on the screen, and Iko Uwais - also the film's co-fight choreographer - is more than capable of holding his own against a legion of bloodthirsty criminals, while also taking punishment of his own from all sides from his attackers. That's really the key to any action hero, in my opinion - to have a hero who can indeed kick a lot of a**, but also be able to take a few licks of his own and keep on ticking. It also helps that Rama has a pregnant wife back at home, so it makes him a bit more human and vulnerable and gives him an extra incentive to want to survive - and it also gives us an extra incentive to want to see him live through this ordeal.

It's all amazingly bloody stuff to witness when you see the horrible things that humans are capable of doing to one another with just their bare hands. There are also several quieter, suspense-filled scenes as well, the most nerve-wracking of which being a scene where Rama and a severely wounded colleague hide behind a fake wall while an assailant repeatedly thrusts his machete through it, the blade barely missing Rama and his comrade. And also there's a wonderful electronic score on the American version of the film by Linkin Park's Mike Shinoda and Joe Trapanese to further fuel the adrenalin-laced plot and action sequences.

"The Raid: Redemption" is a richly served-up action flick from one of the last places to appear on the world action movie market - Indonesia (even though Gareth Evans is Welsh). Throw out everything you thought you knew about well-made action movies (from anywhere, really), and witness first-hand "The Raid: Redemption."

10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Blow you away!!!
ssarkca20 March 2014
If you like martial arts movies, this one will blow you away! The choreography on the fight scenes is insane. Im surprised I have any nails left to chew. They combine several different styles into each scene. Jackie Chan, take a seat and observe. No disrespect, I LOVE Chan, but the scenes in this movie are downright brutally realistic and full of just enough gore to convince the viewer without being too gross or unrealistic. The story is solid too. There's several underlying plot twists that get you guessing back and forth as to what is really going on. The main obvious plot twist becomes relevant in a very subtle way that makes the film's overall plot very heartfelt and real.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Everything about this movie is true!
dan-131519 November 2012
How does a guy from Wales go to Indonesia, hook up with Indonesia's top- notch martial arts experts, and make one of Asia's greatest action movies of all time for a mere $1.1 million? I don't know, but all the reviews here are true, this is 100 minutes of non-stop action and violence with spectacular fight scenes and impressive fight choreography and direction. Sure, there's very little character development, but that's because there's simply no time for it.

This is the type of movie "Max Payne" and "Hitman" wanted to be. Hollywood should scoop director Gareth Evans up immediately and let him helm its biggest big-budgeted action pictures!
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hunger of Action Satisfied!!
buddybhupender7 June 2012
Most of people who were unaware of Iko Uwais will follow his every film of the past and future once they end up watching this movie!! This movie relies and is driven only on action and action only.

The movie works because of many reasons. one.. it is pure commercial modern action flick which doesn't give room for any drama or lazy moments where we don't look at screen and stare at the person sitting to our left or right..it simply captures you from the very beginning and till end. Second..The story works in favor of the movie and a damn good screenplay keeps the audience in its grip. I think Hollywood production companies can take some serious money management lessons on how to make decent and entertaining movies without spending too much. As far as i know this movie has been shot in a very small budget not because of the unknown cast but because of the sensible direction and treating the script accordingly and not experimenting with the basic rules of action cinema i.e. you deliver or go make drama...!! The camera-work is great and fighting sequences has been shot beautifully and you don't feel that you have missed anything at all in those fight scenes. Also actors have done a superb job and you will see that the movie overall is better then you contemporary Hollywood action flick...!! Many action scenes will drop your jaw. Though the highlight of the movie is the final clash between Iko Uwais and Yayan Ruhian who stole the show with their stunt choreography but other actors and stunt men have also done a superb job. Mike Shinoda has done a great job with the background score and it add sparks to the whole action sequences.

Gareth Evans has done a good job in Direction as well as in Editing also.There is a lots of scope in Asian cinema..and people who will see this movie they will realize how much more Asian cinema can offer them they just need the right people willing to invest in their projects..it is not just about HK or chines or Japanese cinema there is much more to be explored yet.What Tony Jaa flicks like tom yum goom and ong bak did to Thai Movie Industry..The Raid will do to Indonesian Movie Industry.

I think this is the best action movie i have seen in this year so far and i hope i will see the sequel very soon!! Though there will always be better movies but despite its limitations it delivers So this is a very entertaining movie and a treat for action fans.

my rating 10/10..A Must Watch.
17 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Best Fighting-Kill-or-get-killed movie
vassiliospapadopoulos114 November 2013
No movie has ever managed to capture fighting in this way. I do Wing Chun Kung Fu, did boxing and karate when young, and follow closely movies of this kind. When built around a live character and a great story, the result is Fearless (Jet Li), or Yip Man (Donnie Yen). When built around charisma and flow, you think Tony Jaa. Etc, etc, etc. But the Raid, is as alive as it gets. And the fighting is dead on. Brutal, precise and non-stop. Simply, brilliant ! Reading reviews of people hating this movie, or not rating it highly, simply shows subjectivity, at all levels. One more time, for anyone wanting to sit on the edge of his seat from the 1st moment till the last, and believe every single scene, this is your movie.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best action movie of the last years
kluseba22 July 2012
This movie comes fresh and straight from Indonesia and pleases or displeases the viewers with many brutal killing scenes, some rough but technically well performed fights and a couple of breathtaking stunts at a full speed pace. This movie is surely nothing for soft-heartened people as there is a lot of blood in the film that one isn't used to from the Western cinema industry. It's also thanks to its radical execution that the movie surprisingly rose to international fame. People aren't looking for beautiful male actors, cool dialogues and romantic side stories anymore in action movies. This movie simply goes back to the simplistic basis with a rough kind of energy.

The only modern touches this movie kept were two twists. Any movie of any genre seems to have the need to include at least one twist towards the end. I don't know why this trend degenerated but I think this tendency gets more and more overused. This movie contains one extremely predictable twist and another less predictable but still not impressive one. They desperately want the movie to get more depth and character development but the effect is the opposite.

The movie itself takes no prisoners. We see the main actor praying and training for the first two minutes of the movie. The next three minutes are dedicated to a short introduction that explains what will happen during the next one hour and a half. A well trained but mostly unexperienced special unit police squad gets the suicidal task to infiltrate the fifteen floors of a dingy skyscraper in a rundown suburb of Jakarta's slums. The building has become a safe house for the city's most dangerous crooks. It's controlled by a very influential gangster boss and his two acolytes that represent the brain and the force to save, execute and extend their master's will. The squad tries to arrest as many villains as possible with the final goal being to arrest the big boss dead or alive on the final floor. The next circa ninety minutes show in dynamic camera angles with fast paced modern music a couple of tension filled hide and seek moments, a few more intriguing dialogues and mostly non-stop violence that portrays the tragic fate of twenty courageous good guys against hundreds of enemies. Not one second is wasted. This film will leave you out of breath. You may lose track of who people are, where people are and what they are exactly doing but it won't harm your (dis)pleasure about this movie.

Now, what is so fascinating about a ninety minute long slaughter fest? What has made this movie's reputation? Is there more in this except of a pervertedly shocking violence?

Yes, there is. First of all, there are the aesthetics. Every actor who played a member of the SWAT had to run through a hard training program to study the techniques used in the force including details such as hand signals. You can see this precise preparation in each second of the movie. The choreographic aspects are perfectly arranged, no matter if we see realistic martial arts sequences, fast stabbings or tension filled shooting passages from close and far.

Second, many important characters have all something unique that makes the viewers feel against or with them. These trademarks can be seen in the moral or philosophical attitudes of the characters. You have the brutal fighter that refuses to simply shoot people as he prefers to fight his enemies from face to face and kill them with his bare hands. You have the peaceful outsider who risks his life to help some strangers because he has gone through hard times on is own before. You have a villain that has to make a tough decision between radical obedience, a smart putsch or a treason because of personal issues of his past. All these well developed characters will keep you on the edges of your seat until the end if you're not disgusted by the movie's brutality. As this movie is quite grounded without any big special effects makes the whole thing even more addicting, honest and real.

Third, the movie has a lot of tension filled moments in between many breathtaking fight scenes. Suddenly, a killer slowly approaches the victims that are hiding behind the next or corner or behind a thin wall. Out of the blue, the lights shut down and the main villain starts to communicate with both his enemies and the building's ruthless residents. At another moment, the squad is all surrounded by villains and needs to find a fast, risky and smart solution to get out of this hell. There is always something happening in between fights and important dialogues.

Normally, this movie would only get eight points from me because of its relative simplicity, its unnecessary twisted parts and the shallow ending. On the other side, this flick truly gave me a huge load of adrenaline and time passed by so fast that I deeply wanted to continue watching this. That's why I give it a little bonus point that I would rarely give. It doesn't happen quite often but this time I agree with critics and fans. This is by far the best action movie made in the last years. Any genre fan that doesn't mind some brutal stuff should call this his or her new bible.

Hollywood should get inspired by this. Skip useless side stories, forced twists and billion dollar special effects. Don't dishonour this exotic effort by doing a shallow remake. People are tired of these things and would like to see some innovation from Hollywood again after many bad years with sequels and remakes. People don't want to see a remake with Jason Statham as tough cop and Johnny Depp as the weird villain. If you want to pay some tribute, go and ask actors like Iko Uwais or Yayan Ruhian to join "The Expandables III". Encourage the originals and the talented Asian cinema.
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the greatest action movies ever made
danteasdale4585 October 2012
The Raid has been called the greatest action movie ever made. Is this true? Well i'd easily say its one of the best i've ever seen.

The Raid is about a group of 20 cops that infiltrate a drug lords apartment complex and are sent their to kill him and stop their operation. During the attack, the team is found out, and now the entire building's residence are out to kill them.While the plot isn't anything special, its more then serviceable for the incredible action scenes, cinematography and tight direction.

As soon as the cops enter the apartment, you'll immediately notice how dirty and sometimes even scary the place is. It's a dump. People are doing cocaine without even caring that they have their own urine on them, there are bug and rats everywhere, and even bloodstains on the walls and floors. It's extremely immersive and downright freaky.

The gun fights feel real. The cops and tenants are not hesitant to fire their weapons, and they do it in a way that is intelligent. Three round bursts and head shots. The cops start getting completely over run and now have no more ammo. This is where the movie shows off the talent of the cast. Rama, played by Iko Uwais, shows off his fighting style of Silat which has never been shown in movies before. Its a brutal fighting style with lots of quick jabs and kicks. After the first fight scene your jaw will have dropped.

The movie started out with the cops in a truck on their way to the apartment complex. They are chatting about the mission and the captain talks about the three main leaders. Tama(the crime lord) and his two body guards Andi and Mad Dog. Mad Dog is explained as an absolute killing machine and would easily lay his life on the line for his boss. Little do we know as viewers, Mad Dog is actually the really skinny and short guy who doesn't have an once of fat on him.

"Pulling the trigger is like ordering takeout...this is what its all about. This is the thing. This is the pulse, This. Is what I do." Mad Dog clenching a fist and challenging The Captain as he unloads his pistol.

His first fight is against the captain. Here you will notice how fast and talented these guys are. The sheer brutality of the fight will drop your jaw even further.

During this last hour, you won't be able to take your eyes off the screen. In different and equally creepy parts of the apartment complex, each fight still feels fresh and fun. All of these lead to and amazing two on one fight. Rama (and another unarmed person who i won't say because it would spoil it) fight Mad Dog. It is seriously one of the greatest fight scenes ever made.

The fights feel very real and luckily never use any wires. The action is all done by the actors themselves. What also surprised my was how amazing the score was. All the music was done by Mike Shinoda of Linkin Park( which I'm not really a fan of). But to my surprise, his score was absolutely perfect. Equally tense, creepy and fitting.

The Raid: Redemption is easily one of the best action movies ever made and by far the best martial arts movie out there. If you're looking for an adrenaline rush, look no further. The Raid will have you glued to the screen with your jaw dropped to the floor.

5/5 The Blu Ray

The Picture: The picture does look very crisp, however most of the movie takes place in fairly dark areas. It's not the best picture i've seen from a blu ray, but definitely worth the upgrade from DVD. 3.5/5

The Audio: Very crisp sounding. Each punch comes in clear and the soundtrack by Mike Shinoda sounds incredible on Blu Ray. 4.5/5

Decision: Buy
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't let the subtitles put you off, you'll miss out!
Robin_clarke414 June 2012
This is not the type of film I would usually enjoy. With its cast of unknown Indonesian actors all speaking their native language (I'm not a big fan of subtitles), budget of 1 million dollars and an unknown writer/director my initial thoughts were 'this can only be bad'. How wrong I was and I have my brother to thank for ensuring I saw this groundbreaking piece of cinematic history. This movie has hands down the most brutal, violent and bone- crunchingly realistic fight scenes I've ever witnessed (and I've seen them all!). But what is a great fight scene if the story is weak and/or we do not care about the characters? Gareth Evans manages to tell us what we need to know without meandering or time-wasting and gets on with the business of making a great action movie. The characters are all easily recognisable after a short period of time and you find yourself routing for them (people cheered in my cinema!) when they are involved in combat. The villains are fantastic and are beautifully crafted as the monsters you want them to be. Interestingly they are more than a match for our heroes, which makes for very exciting viewing as you never quite know who is going to come off best from an encounter. This movie is very special indeed, it has shown that in a cinematic world of big names and big budgets sometimes all that is needed is a little talent. No doubt Hollywood will be all over this and will make a remake staring Tom Cruise or Sam Worthington. My advice to you is to watch this first and see a truly groundbreaking, original and damn exciting movie - the likes of which I can assure you you've never seen before!
13 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.