Masha and the Bear (TV Series 2007– ) Poster

(2007– )

Forget the language, a real gem!
vawlkee_20001 April 2012
As someone who grew up on classic Russian 2D animation, I was leery of watching anything CGI, no matter where it was produced! I've seen bits and pieces of stuff made by the various animation studios in so-called "3D" animation - they all stink! I don't care what outfit produced it, I hated it.

Well surprise, surprise when I caught Masha and the Bear the first time I was VERY impressed with the quality of the animation and attention to detail. Once again the Russians have proved the grasp they have on the animation media. no matter what format! The series is an updated version of an old Russian folk tale. In this series a terror tot (Masha) is semi adopted by a retired circus bear and there the fun begins! Masha constantly drives the poor bear to distraction with hilarious results. It's on you tube and is easily accessible! Oh yeah, in case you have doubts, how many you tube programs have nearly 11 million hits! Watch it!
36 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun, fun, fun!
coolhatrecords24 July 2013
I came across Masha and Medved while I was looking for kid's TV shows in Russian, to help me study the language. I fell in love instantly! The characters convey the same delightful spirit as Wallace and Gromit, Calvin and Hobbes, and the animal "cast" of Tundra. The animation is top quality CGI with plenty of attention to details.

My kids like to watch it with me, even though they don't speak a word of Russian. There's plenty of visual humor and the characters' expressions speak for themselves. Any parent can relate to the poor Bear's patient efforts to keep up with busy Masha, and her adventures in the Siberian forest are the stuff of every kids' dreams.
24 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great series, HORRIBLE English version
prizm411 May 2014
This is a really fun Russian animated series, and our 3 year old can't get enough. In fact, our daughter's antics reminds us of Masha all too often!

You don't need to know Russian as the series generally keeps dialogue to a minimum. All the episodes are presented FREE on YouTube by the company that makes the show, so it's easy to give it a go and see if you'll like it. Some of the episodes are real classics and a crack up to watch.

The only downside is the recent English version. It's horrible. Masha is only about 3 or 4 years old in the show, but the English dialogue makes her sound like she's 8 years old. All the charm is lost, the English dialogue is just too mature and poorly written -- it does not suit an innocent three year old. Not only that, but the voice acting isn't great and sounds stilted. Although that could be a result of the poor lines. Now Masha sounds more like an annoying school-age kid in a Disney movie.

Some of the Russian episodes have English subtitles, and even they are more charming to read than watching the botched English version.

Occasionally Masha sings a Russian song, and again the English translation is a real mess, they could've done a much better job translating the lyrics.

Bottom line: Don't let the English version taint your experience, go see the original episodes. Your young children will love it.
22 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Russian Animation
davidgilleard-98-7155264 September 2014
My Russian fiancée introduced me to this gem of an animated series, My Russian is very poor but you can follow these story's easily even if you know no Russian and they are great for kids. Masha is adorable and the bear and other animals are very funny too. You can follow their adventures on you tube and I think you can get the DVD's too. All together a lovely CGI animation from Russia. I really cannot recommend this highly enough, the kids will love it and I suspect a few adults will too, me included. The animation is fantastic and the detail in these short little story's is superb. A charming, heart-warming and funny series of adventures of a lovable little Russian girl and her friend the bear. I don't know if there is an English version but don't worry as the story's are quite charming even if you cannot speak any Russian. Well worth a look for animation fans of any age.
14 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bare necessities
petra_ste20 March 2015
Not since Disney and Looney Tunes classics an animated series aimed at children made me laugh so much.

This Russian cartoon about a grumpy but good-natured bear dealing with hurricane-like toddler Masha is a gem: hilarious, breathlessly paced and visually compelling, with a color palette of rich greens and browns.

The stroke of genius was keeping the bear mute (along with all other animals), which somehow makes his straight man attitude - and annoyed reactions to Masha's disasters - ten times funnier. Comic timing is impeccable.

Add to this a catchy soundtrack and secondary characters like two loser wolves, a thieving rabbit and a disco-obsessed pig, and the result is amusing for both kids and adults.

7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
delight
Vincentiu2 June 2014
it remembers old Russian animation and its seduction. it is one of series who preserves the childhood spirit in wise clothes. it is far from common trends and it is fresh at whole. a modern fairy tale with deep roots in tradition who reminds basic things in a seductive manner. the story, the animation, the dialogs, the admirable humor, each episode are good occasions to joy again and again. the great virtue is the status of different film. like a piece from ancestors place from memories. and that fact is a real good thing because, after so many blockbusters, a refreshing meeting with two lovely characters is almost a blessing. adventures for entire family, Russian precision and characters who seems be real unique.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing Children's Cartoon
aggie_morgan18 January 2016
My son is 18 months old he LOVES Masha and the Bear! The little girl is mischievous and adorable! He thinks she is hilarious! The animation is on point and the plots are really cute and funny! The songs are catchy and you will be humming them days later! I like that the animals don't have names they are called by what they are: bear, rabbit, etc.. And they don't talk. I highly recommend this 3D cartoon! This show kept my son laughing and happy on a 10 hour car ride! If you are looking for a good clean cartoon to let your children watch this is the one! The creators of Masha and the Bear did an amazing job! They created a thoughtful, cute, and funny cartoon! This is a must watch show for children of all ages!
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing Cartoon
mattconrad515017 March 2016
We played an episode of this show for my daughter, who is almost 2 years old when we saw it on Netflix. She, my wife, and I were hooked after 1 episode. My daughter constantly asks to watch the show whenever it's not on. It has something special that I've noticed is missing from a lot of cartoons these days. The physical comedy element in this show reminds me of the old days of cartoons like early Disney cartoons as well as great silent comedy like Charlie Chaplin. Not that there isn't any dialogue, because there is some, but a majority of the interaction between the characters on the show needs no dialogue. This is why we are able to watch the original Russian versions on Netflix and still enjoy them until they are all translated into English. Highly recommended for children and adults who enjoy comedy.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Simply amazing animation series.. Lots of love from India :)
malikswati10 November 2015
I came across this animation series while searching rhymes on YouTube for my two year old niece. I watched a few episodes with her. It is just fabulous. It makes you laugh, it makes you learn and it just makes you fall in love with the two characters -"Masha" and the "bear". It reminds me of my childhood days when I used to watch "Tom and Jerry", "Duck Tales". I have been a cartoon buff since childhood, but since past few years I didn't find any good cartoon series on TV. This series comes as a fresh breath in such a scenario.

If you ask me then this is the best animation series of the decade.

I wish great success for this series and all those who are associated with this.

Lots of love from India
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pure Fun!
consortpinguin8 October 2018
Having grown up during the coldest of the Cold War, and I mean Cuban Missile Crisis, we in America were only led to believe terrible things about Russia and Russians. Then I got a little older and read Tolstoy, listened to Rimsky-Korsakov, and saw Ilya Repin paintings. Did I mention that growing up in Pittsburgh, I saw some beautiful Eastern churches? And many of them have church signs, which is how I first saw the Cyrillic alphabet. America really is the melting pot. Anyway, the point is that Russians are people too. So I really enjoy watching the wonderful Russian cartoons available to us in modern times. Masha i Medved is a wonderful show. Anyone who has children can appreciate the adorable and well-meaning Masha as she drives the bear to his wit's end. The Bear is like most parents, just wanting a bit of "me time" to work in his garden or read. Masha turns things upside down for Bear, the neighboring animals and the other bears n that forest. This show is the perfect antidote for all the serious TV shows and all-Kavanaugh, all the time news. The media will move on as soon as the next big issue comes up, but we will always need entertainment. In my younger days I never thought that Russia would make cartoons, and if they did, the cartoons would be violent - something like "Comrade Lenin smashes the evil West forever." Back in the second grade when THEY launched the Sputnik, things were scary. But -- just like Nikolai Gogol, there really is Russian humor! It's amazing how the Internet shrinks the world and lets us see other people in other countries. This is a great show -- very heartwarming and many laughs! Definitely a 10! Also recommended are "Hedgehog in the Mist" and "Three from Prostokvashino". Enjoy!
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A big like
amirhossein-7194119 May 2016
I am 28 years old BUT i love to watch mas-ha and the bear every day :D maybe because i remember my childhood when i watch mas-ha.thank you for making us happy. We need more episode in English please.

Got to get "the pandemonium," And that means all pans and pots. Clear the way! I need to make room To make jam and to make lots.

What was on the garden patches, What grew on the tree I got, Made from it some mix-and-matches, Put it all in one big pot.

I'll add carrots for some nice zest To the Portobello jams. But the juiciest and sweetest Will be pine cones and the yams!

I peek in, and as I'm looking At the weird brew, I yell, "Now I know what's really cooking! I am in a jam, as well! <3 <3 <3
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
i love it :) X X X
ejackson-9627225 September 2015
We stumbled across you show which is currently being aired. I would like to say how wonderful Masha and the Bear is. We watch it every time its being aired, it is so funny and the characters are wonderful. The bear is like my Grandad always doing things for me (though he didn't want to) to keep me happy and the little girl is typical of and excitable child always full of mischief ha-ha. Its hilarious and Masha and the Bear can be enjoyed by all the family. Are ages range from 59 - 10 and between. Thank you for such a lovely creation of good clean fun which is completely engaging. :) Please make more Emma. (the 10 line rule for posting a comment is silly)
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Classic Children's Tragedy
alex_shifrin15 April 2019
A non-verbal savant bear fosters a human child with ADHD and struggles to raise her in isolation from society. Unmedicated, Masha's behavior becomes increasingly erratic and the bear begins to question his decision. Contains violence and some adult situations.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Where can I see the English Version
mstvglw26 February 2019
Hello how can I see the English version in You tube?
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Interactions Make The Fun
zsofikam24 February 2016
I must confess that I only recently discovered Masha and the Bear and I have only seen the English version, although I'm sure the original Russian is just as enjoyable. If I were to have one minor criticism, that others have mentioned, it would be that Masha seems a little too mature (I had assumed her to be about 3). That aside, I've been enjoying it very much since I discovered it on Netflix. While Masha and the bear are known in Russian folklore, this sweet little show modernizes their surroundings, which opens up many new possibilities for interactions between the two, and it's the unique relationship between the title characters the make the series shine. Bear is simply a quiet homebody who is constantly witness to Masha's funny antics which involve such things as constantly dirtying her dress so that Bear has to do the laundry other and other again, disappearing and reappearing with Bear's magic kit, and competing with Bear's visiting cousin Panda. There's also a very funny running gag involving Bear trying to get the attention of a female bear and trying to keep Masha a secret from her but Masha keeps popping up between them.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Fantastic Animation for All Ages
cibelemehmood16 February 2016
Impossible not to have fun and not be moved and thrilled about Masha's antics ! Having a calm and intelligent Bear as protector, friend and partner in fun, this animation has a sensational story line, amazing adventures that take place in a bucolic and colorful environment, giving space for lots of fun and of course , lot of mess! Each episode is a surprise that we do not get tired to see, review, watch countless and tireless times. A series for all ages! It's impossible not to sing along with Masha during her own birthday song neither not to be touched when she sings " Happy birthday to me " My husband and I elected as our favorite animated series of all times.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Over a billion views!
ericstevenson19 July 2017
This is a simple Russian cartoon that tells the story of a little girl named Masha living with a bear. I keep seeing every episode of this show posted on YouTube. The episodes are only seven minutes long, but they are certainly worth your time. I don't even often come across ones with English subtitles, but I really don't need it. It's a show with a lot of great visual humor that most people should enjoy. There's a great emphasis on visual gags and always having things going on. I admit that I don't know of any of the other characters besides the two leads.

Then again, this doesn't really seem like it needs names. It's just a cute little kid's cartoon with some really impressive CGI. I admit that I'm not a fan of most animated shows that are entirely CGI. I just think that works a lot better for animated films. This is an exception as it has a lot of nice little details and we get to see the characters in funny everyday scenarios. It's weird how there are more people who have seen this than even people who speak Russian! Well, it is mostly visual. ***1/2
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent Quality Production for toddlers, WOW
christineroberts-8227025 April 2017
I fell upon this series by accident, and ALL I CAN SAY IS WOW, Masha and the Bear is in a league of it's own. my 25month old- I myself find myself engaged and impressed with the quality of graphics and content.

I highly recommend this international caliber series to any parent that is concerned about content and quality.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
what to say ?
Kirpianuscus6 June 2017
it is perfect reflection of contemporary children. hyperactive and the provocative challenge to the adults. it is adaptation of an old tale but so Russian and so inspired than it is universal. it is like a long Christmas Eve around large circles of gifts. because the animation seems be impeccable, the humor more than adorable, the poor bear so convincing than you think to adopt it and Masha... . Masha is just Masha. so lovely and bad and nice and curious and full of good and noble intentions. so, it is a sin to say see it. because it is impossible to not know it. and this is enough for become its number one fan.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprisingly bad
charlietrollope4 October 2018
This show is boring, repetitive, and hasn't had an episode with an unused story in years. Another thing is that the music is mind numbing and the animation is poor and sloppy

I hate it
1 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Our 6 year old loves this
roxyjava27 January 2018
The English version is great. Our six year old has no idea it's dubbed. Very cute. It's nice to hear the talking instead of just noises.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Emotions are a universal language!
rajshri-6489326 January 2018
My daughter and I love Masha and bear. She laughs out aloud whenever Masha enters the scene with an "aha". My 19 months old connects with Masha and addresses her as "Masha chechi". Chechi is used for older sister. It is such a stress buster! The bear is so matured in handling the kind and naughty kid Masha. Though we don't understand the language, human emotions are universal. The songs sung are beautiful. It's a beautiful show. Keep up the great work! Congratulations to the team.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.