X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014) Poster

An excellent movie
midoragab-9784310 November 2020
It's the one best film in the xmen movies franchise and one of the best superheroes movies
18 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The perfect blend between character-driven drama and fun, edge-of-your-seat spectacle!
gogoschka-111 May 2014
I must admit, the trailers didn't have me convinced - and after the sour taste 'Jack the Giant Slayer' left in my mouth, I was sceptic. I really dug Matthew Vaughn's approach with 'First Class' (who had a tough task rebooting the franchise after the lacklustre 'Last Stand' and the generic, dull 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine') and I wouldn't have minded him returning at all. But as it turns out, Bryan Singer (yes, I dare speak his name) still has a few tricks up his sleeve. For its sheer scale and epic storytelling alone, 'Days of Future Past' is fantastic.

It's a shame there's so much controversy surrounding this film, but I guess whoever chooses to deprive himself willingly of such a pleasure must be fully aware that he does so at his own expense. Because this is the kind of film that made me fall in love with movies in the first place.

Yet (despite my 10-star review), it's not perfect. And it's not 'The Usual Suspects' with mutants - how could it be; this is simply not that kind of film. But I have to say that pretty much my only gripe with this movie is that it has too many characters and that some of them don't get enough screen time (or actually, there's not too many characters: there's just too many great actors playing those characters – but then again, that's half of the fun). Of all the X-men films, this has the most complex plot – and also the most interesting. Different time-lines are tricky to do and can be rather hard to follow, but thanks to a (very!) clever script with a great part for Logan, we never get lost. And that's the best news: sorely missed in the last instalment (except for a hilarious cameo), the franchise has Hugh Jackman back. And of him at least we do get to see a lot, since he really leads us through this film (giving his best Wolverine performance yet along the way). If Logan can be called the heart of the X-men, then Charles Xavier must be the mind while Magneto and Mystique provide the - slightly twisted - soul, and seeing them all together again brought a broad, stupid grin to my face (which only got broader whenever Quicksilver appeared on screen - for reasons you will have to find out for yourselves).

What really sets the X-men films apart from the ever more derivative comic-book adaptations – at least as far as I'm concerned – is that I always genuinely cared for the characters, and 'Days of Future Past' is no exception. I love loud, spectacular action movies as much as the next guy, but if I don't get to care for the protagonists – what's the point? The reason I gave this 10 stars, and what is so exceptional these days, is that what we get here is a complex, smart Fantasy/Sci-Fi thrill-ride that respects its origins as much as it embraces the future, while never - ever - forgetting that its first job is to entertain the audience. For finding that perfect, rare balance between character-driven human drama and no-holds-barred popcorn action spectacle, 'Days of Future Past' deserves my 10-star rating (which is a first for me: I've never given 10-stars to a comic-book movie).

So my verdict: If you like to get your minds blown by something with true heart and soul, this massive 'mutant' of a film is upon you, and all you have to do is give in to the X-citement. Enjoy the ride.

Favorite Films: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls054200841/
478 out of 625 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
X-Men
MR_Heraclius12 February 2020
Seamlessly blending old and new elements of the franchise together in one delightful package, X-Men: Days of Future Past combines emotional drama, exhilarating action, and surprising humor to create a wholly satisfying experience that ranks among the finest in the franchise.
72 out of 88 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A stunning achievement – a blockbuster movie packed with at least as much heart as spectacle.
shawneofthedead16 May 2014
With its mind-boggling premise and jaw-dropping cast, X-Men: Days Of Future Past blasts into cinemas bearing the weight of great expectations. Surely this mash-up of X-Men past and future has the potential to be the best superhero blockbuster our world will ever see? Well, yes and no.

To be strictly objective, Days Of Future Past can occasionally come off as a little too earnest, its enormous cast of characters getting somewhat lost in the grinding of its narrative gears. But, when it works (which is most of the time), Days Of Future Past comes pretty darn close to nerdvana – this is a smart, rich film that effectively mines its source material (both the movies and Chris Claremont's classic 1981 storyline in the comic books) and its incredible cast for emotion, power and depth.

Flash forward to the bleakest of futures. X-Men we have known – led by perennial frenemies Professor Charles Xavier (Patrick Stewart) and Erik Lensherr/Magneto (Ian McKellen) – are being hunted mercilessly by a horde of intelligent, death-mongering robots known as Sentinels. With little hope for survival, the desperate X-Men decide to send Wolverine (Hugh Jackman) back in time to the 1970s. There, he must find the younger Charles (James McAvoy) and Erik (Michael Fassbender) – several years estranged after the traumatic events of X-Men: First Class – and get them to change the future before it can happen.

Sounds simple enough? Not really. Days Of Future Past frequently threatens to fall foul of its complicated puzzle-box of a narrative, one that involves time travel, quantum physics and a swirling mess of characters, action and motivations. There's Dr. Bolivar Trask (Peter Dinklage), creator of the Sentinel programme, whose assassination in the past by Charles' pseudo-sister Raven (Jennifer Lawrence) brings about the dystopia of the future. There are prison breaks, astral projections, and several grisly mutant deaths. Truthfully, this incredibly ambitious mix of character, plot and spectacle could very easily go horribly wrong.

What's so impressive about director Bryan Singer's return to the franchise is how well he weaves all the disparate threads of his narrative together. This is emphatically not the Singer who gave us mediocre misfires like Superman Returns and Jack The Giant Slayer. Rather, this is the work of the Singer who made his mark with films like X1, X2 and The Usual Suspects, all of which featured a masterful blend of wit and wisdom, character and story.

In Days Of Future Past, Singer skilfully plays on the schism that opened up between Erik and Charles at the end of First Class to add welcome depths of emotion to the high stakes already in play. The deep, difficult relationship between the two men has always been the fulcrum of the series, and Singer allows it to breathe and grow. With the help of McAvoy and Fassbender (not to mention Stewart and McKellen), some of the best actors in the business, the director makes it possible to believe that resentment can give way to forgiveness, and vice versa, often in the blink of an eye. McAvoy, in particular, gives a shudderingly good performance as a man called upon to help others when he's lost his own way.

With such an enormous revolving cast of characters, Singer even manages to give many – though not all – of them their hearts and souls. (Alas, Storm/Ororo, we will never know ye!) Thrust into the unlikely role of mentor to the broken, heartsore Charles, Wolverine must find a different sort of strength and ingenuity within himself. Jackman plays the role beautifully, anchoring the two timelines with charm and gravitas. Though still something of an awkward fit for her part, Lawrence, too, plays Raven's dilemma very well, as she wavers between Charles' offer of hope and Erik's often bloody single-mindedness.

But Days Of Future Past doesn't just mire itself in the toss and tumble of its characters' emotional journeys. Singer throws in a few crackerjack action sequences, opening the film with a heart-stopping massacre that very effectively underscores the dire threat posed by the Sentinels of the future. Crucially, Singer also finds the time and space within the darkest shadows of his story to have a little fun, judiciously tossing quips and sight gags into the mix – particularly in a tour de force prison break sequence, in which the preternaturally speedy Pietro Maximoff (Evan Peters), better known to comic aficionados as Quicksilver, literally runs away with the entire show.

Make no mistake about it, this is a behemoth of a film that won't go down well with everybody. Newbies will almost certainly find themselves lost, bewildered, and perhaps even bored. Singer's tale sprawls in so many directions that, if you're not at least marginally invested in the characters, it could prove to be a trying experience.

But, for everyone else, ranging from casual fans to enthusiasts and obsessives, Singer and screenwriter Simon Kinberg have crafted something truly remarkable. Steeped in history and lore, both of the cinematic and comic-book variety, Days Of Future Past feels like a dark love letter to the spirit of that original band of mutants and the message of hope, tolerance and humanity that has always accompanied their attempts to find their place on Earth.

Most remarkably of all, Days Of Future Past practically radiates a bravery and freshness that you'd never expect from the seventh film in a blockbuster franchise. Instead of playing it safe and sound, Days Of Future Past mashes up past, present and future, sweeping up a lot of what has been taken for granted in the X-Men cinematic universe and, well, chucking it out of the proverbial window. The ending of this film truly opens up an intriguing plethora of narrative possibilities that stretch in any and all directions. On the strength of this outing, that's something to be anticipated, rather than feared.
358 out of 482 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is what movies are about.
beobnoxious21 June 2019
Days of future Past in my opinion reigns as one of the greatest movies of all time.I said this immediately after seeing the film I say this now years later 8.0 and climbing.

This is an epic adventure you will be on the edge of your seat it's storytelling at its best a complete sinematic master piece.Just go see it.
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Visually Stunning And Exhilarating Flick
CalRhys5 June 2014
2014 has proved to be a successful year so far for Marvel with 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' and the most recent 'X-Men: Days of Future Past'. Bryan Singer returns for the most recent X-Men after being absent for the past four films, and what a return he has made. 'Days of Future Past' is truly an impressive and spectacular instalment in both the 'X- Men' franchise and the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe, combining the casts from both the original trilogy and the prequel allowing the audience to view the 'X-Men' in the past, present and future. The action scenes are intense and spectacularly choreographed with some fantastic heroes and foes fighting both against and alongside each other. As a personal opinion, 'Days of Future Past' is the best film to have graced the Marvel film franchise and one of the greatest superhero films of all-time. A visually stunning and exhilarating flick that combines the best elements of the series to create a fantastic and entertaining film.
200 out of 274 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best X-Men movie Yet! Believe It
jigsaw-9112 May 2014
I was so intrigued about this movie. I had a terrible feeling of disappointment because First Class was absolutely fine and riveting. That one was even better than X-Men 2 (the last one directed by Brian Singer before this). So I tried to went to see this with low expectation. And what a wonderful entertainment and surprising thoughtful story I found here. Days Of Future Past is the best X-men movie so far for two main reasons:

Fans of the original trilogy and First Class will definitely enjoy this one thanking its nostalgia and its perfect and well balanced mix between the original characters and the new ones (with just a few ones who maybe deserved more credit, but is not at all a problem for the movie). & This movie delivers a surprising top notch entertaining with a potent story and some good twists that help to live up expectations mixed with terrific special effects and cinematography. 3-D is very cool here.

The actors are fantastic. Fassbender and McAvoy still delivering amazing performances meanwhile Stewart and Mckellen give their reflections in the same excellent way that in the trilogy. Hugh Jackman finally finds his character as a true important one in comparison with the last movies. Wolverine/Logan finally has a proper treatment in this movie that will help anyone who could be annoyed with his solo adventures to love him again. They are the five main stars of the story with the inclusion of a spectacular and skillful Mystique (impressive Jennifer Lawrence who steals almost every scene of hers) who is undoubtedly the sixth one. The other actors made good performances and make possible the transitions of the story until the amazing finale.

It has been so many comparisons with The Avengers. Let me tell you something with all my respect. I found this one truly better. X-Men: Days of Future Past will please the fans and moviegoers and will inject fresh blood and joy to the franchise. This is a terrific time at the movies. Don't miss the opportunity to see it.
380 out of 536 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not only is it the best X-Men movie, it's one of the best comic book movies ever made....
edgereviews28 May 2014
X-Men: Days Of Future Past' serves as a sequel to both 'X-Men: First Class' (which is excellent) and 'X-Men: The Last Stand' (which is pretty bad). Now, I used to be a pretty big X-Men fan a few years ago, but after the disappointments of 'X-Men: The Last Stand' and 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine', I kind of just stopped caring about the franchise, even though the subsequent two movies were actually very good (the aforementioned 'X-Men: First Class' and then 'The Wolverine'). That being said, I was still looking forward to 'Days Of Future Past', what with it being the return of the old 'X-Men' crew, and I was also moderately familiar with the 'Days Of Future Past' comic. I was just expecting it to be good though, but it turns out not only is 'Days Of Future Past' the best X-Men movie yet, it's also one of the best comic-book movies ever made.

In 'Days Of Future Past', the X-Men of the future are facing extinction due to the sentinels which threaten to wipe them all out. They send Wolverine back in time to 1973 where he must recruit Professor X, Magneto and Mystique in order to change the course of history so that the X-Men may survive.

First things first, this is a time travel movie, and time travel movies normally either go very well or very badly. 'Days Of Future Past' marks an occasion where it goes very well, as the time travel logic in this movie is very well thought out and makes perfect sense, I can't pick any holes in it. This movie even manages to validate 'X-Men: The Last Stand' and 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine', which is something that I thought could never be done. It even feels weird just saying that, because righting the wrongs that those movies made is a huge, monumental task, yet this movie pulls it off perfectly.

For a movie that's crowded with so many characters, it's surprising that all of the characters included feel meaningful and aren't shoehorned in. We have Hugh Jackman returning as Wolverine, and there's not much to say about him that hasn't already been said. He is Wolverine, the role is made for him and he absolutely owns it. James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender are incredible as Charles Xavier and Erik Lensherr respectively, their characters have an amazing relationship and the two of them are just phenomenal at pulling it off. We also have the future X-Men cast with the like of Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellan and Ellen Page, and while they have a lot less screen time they're still great. I was surprised at how prominent a role Jennifer Lawrence had as Mystique, over the past few months I've had a growing dislike towards Jennifer Lawrence but I can't deny that she is great in this role. Then we have all of the new characters, like Bolivar Trask (Peter Dinklage), Bishop (Omar Sy) and Blink (Bingbing Fan), all of whom are great. But there is one new character who is greater than all, and that character is Quicksilver.

Quicksilver in this movie is perfect. In fact, it's worth seeing this movie just for him. He doesn't have a huge amount of screen time and it comes fairly early on in the movie, but he is the best part of this film by far. There is one particular sequence with him in a kitchen, and it is jaw-droppingly beautiful. The visuals in the scene are gorgeous, the music is perfect, and it's both hilarious and stunning. The way that Quicksilver's super speed effect has been done is amazing. Some people thought the costume looked goofy, but I think it works perfectly well considering the time period and the personality of the character. I've been a big fan of Evan Peters for a while, and he is great in the role, he is very entertaining and has a great screen presence. I never thought I'd be saying this, but I doubt Marvel will be able to produce a better Quicksilver in 'Avengers: Age Of Ultron' than the one that's on display here.

But you know what I think all this great quality comes down to? Bryan Singer. I'm pretty sure Bryan Singer is just the perfect X-Men director. Even though up until now I thought 'X-Men: First Class' was the best of the X-Men franchise, it didn't really feel like the X-Men in the way that 'X-Men' and 'X2′ did. 'Days Of Future Past' nails that X-Men dynamic while still being an exceptionally good movie. Part of that X-Men dynamic comes from John Ottman's amazing score, as it's so good to finally hear his X-Men theme again.The action scenes are incredible, especially the opening one which uses some of the new mutant powers phenomenally, especially Blink's. The movie is very well paced, I never grew bored and I didn't want it to end.

'Days Of Future Past' also surprisingly has a lot of very funny humour in it, but it's not humour that's just forced in for the sake of it, it all feel natural and within the confines of these characters. This film nails the comic book movie aspect; it has a plot which is clearly very serious yet it is still silly enough to remain a comic book film, unlike movies like 'Man Of Steel' and 'The Dark Knight' which go so dark that they just completely ditch the comic book aspect. There are also a few nice references that fans of the comics will get, which is just a small example of the great fan service this movie does for readers of the 'X-Men' comics.

'Days Of Future Past' made me remember why I was such a big X-Men fan. It rekindled my love for the characters and story lines, and like I said above, it's one of the best comic book movies ever made.
227 out of 328 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Superb In Every Way!
bandobutt20 May 2014
Days of Future Past continues the work of X2 as genre-defining. I have to classify it as a work of art/comic book pulp fiction. The characters, effects, and story are outstanding. Everything in this movie is exceedingly better in the sequel then even the first two films and First Class. Like X2, the acting is superb and the dialogue is rich. Every character feels believable. No cartoonish villains, every side of the issue is presented by people who believe they are the ones who are in the right and the underlying message of tolerance and bigotry only add to the depth of this film. What's better then its predecessor X3 in every way. It restores the sense of epic adventure and grand-scale storytelling that's been absent from far too many of most alleged blockbusters.

This film is far more sophisticated and has a better story than any X-Men movie to date. Here, the characters previously introduced but under used are utilized in a comprehensive and cohesive manner, and the newly introduced characters are blended in seamlessly with the story. The music is very good as is the special effects. The budget clearly hit the screen fully and there are truly some amazing sequences to behold. The cast-selection is still perfect.

Overall, this is one of the best genre films of all-time.
179 out of 274 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
X-Men Days of Future Past
anthonymora22 June 2014
Talk about a rise and fall and rebirth of a franchise. If you're around my age than the big superhero franchises that we soaked in were the Raimi's Spider-Man films, Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy, and of course the X-Men movies. Overall, I can honestly say that I really love this series. Origins: Wolverine, is certainly a low point and while The Last Stand was no where near the awesomeness and greatness that was Bryan Singer's first 2 films, it's still a fairly entertaining action movie. First Class was (before yesterday) my favorite X-Men movie, and even THE Wolverine was an awesome and gritty and much needed different take on an X-Men story. I literally grew up with this movie franchise, so I guess you can say I was extremely hyped when I sat down in the theater for DOFP.

You start off with a Terminator like intro, the first 10 minutes of this movie had some of the strongest and haunting scenes I've ever seen in a comic book movie. Humans AND mutants are on a losing side of a tragic war against the genocidal, Sentinels. A group of X-Men, led by Patrick Stewart's, Prof. X and Ian McKellen's, Magneto. They have a last hope idea of sending someone back to the point in time, where these Sentinel's were created. With his ability to heal and agelessness, Wolverine offers his services to travel back to 1972, to try to reunite the torn friendship between young Magneto and Prof. X, and band together to prevent this horrible war from happening.

My god, what a rush this movie was. I don't think I had this sense of wonder watching a comic book movie since The Dark Knight Rises premiered. The eerie opening got me by surprise, but it worked. It perfectly showed us the audience, just how serious and catastrophic this battle with The Sentinels is. So from the start I'm hooked, then we get into this crazy plan hatched up that sends Wolverine to the 70's and get a bit more lighter, but then we see James McAvoy in a terrific performance as young and troubled Charles Xavier, Jennifer Lawrence being as hot and more bad ass than ever as Mystique, and of course Michael Fassbender as the multi-layered Magneto. Everyone's performance in this movie was utilized so good. Oscar winner Halle Berry has minimal dialog, but her presence was felt, Ellen Page, Peter Dinklage, and Evan Peters all aren't front and center a lot, but they give it their all every minute they're on screen, which makes the dramatic tension so powerful especially when you see certain characters die or get injured. Hugh Jackman was great as Wolverine as usual, but in a different way, as opposed to past films. Here, Wolverine is a much more centered guy, who really wants to help everyone. He even agrees to think happy thoughts to keep his mind from bursting by traveling through space-time.

You would think a movie THIS packed with story, characters, and action, that'd the movie would get lost and tumble over it's own weight and I can't tell you happy I am that it doesn't. You're never once lost as to what's going on, what needs to be done, and how everything got to where it is. The story is played out rather well. Each character and actor has the perfect amount of screen time for what it is their character's are needed for. Quicksilver is a perfect example, he stole every scene he was in, and while he's here and gone pretty swiftly, it gives other more important characters their time to shine. You gotta give it up to the writers and the absolutely terrific direction of Mr. Bryan Singer.

Just hearing the X-Men theme song playing during the begging made my eyes tear, this movie really brought the X-Men back to greatness. The special effects were spot on, my favorite scene even outshining the big stadium scene was, Quicksilver's kitchen run. The combination of music, humor, effects, and practical effects worked to summer blockbuster perfection. The design on the Sentinel's were OK, I wasn't blown away by them as they reminded me a lot of the giant robot guard from the first Thor movie. The setting of 1970's Washington makes for some pretty nice looking sets and sequences and the future scenes were awesome. The action is filmed so well and the powers of the mutants make the action just the kind of jaw dropping eye candy I've been wanting.

This is one of the best movie I've seen all year, it may have even beaten out Captain America: The Winter Soldier as my favorite comic book movie of the year. The action, acting, and story are exceeded my expectations. I really believe the hype and I see why people are rushing back for another viewing, this is a fantastic movie and I give it my highest recommendation. This movie was a Cineadventure.
25 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A new kind of super heroes movies (sorry for English mistakes)
bthivet13 May 2014
As a well known director one says, to make a great movie, you have to (as a director) believe your movie is the best ever made. In today's blockbuster standards, we do not see that at all. What I see when I watch a Marvel/Disney movie (just for the example), I feel as a spectator that directors want to make an entertainment movie, with an absolutely needs of huge action and explosion scenes, with a crescendo structure ending with a KABOOM (what an illustration^^). That's great, that make good blockbusters – but not great. I had high expectations with this movie, and yet I am not an X-Men fan and Bryan singer disappointed me a lot of times - but the trailer gave me chills and as French, I really wanted to see Omar Sy in a super-production (stupid but true).

Anyway, after seeing it, with 2500 X-Men fan in Paris, I was divided. In fact, I expected something else entirely. There is some plot holes, monotonous parts… However, after thought a lot about it, I have to say that is a masterpiece in super heroes' movies. Why? Because it is very different from what we see today, we are not waiting for a finale with explosions, characters just keep moving so the finale do not overdo it but is still very impressive visually. Plus, this movie is very human paradoxically: it speaks about usual mutants themes, but the very point of the movie is can we change, whether it be the past or our vision of the present. The intelligence of the movie is not to focus on changing the past but on writing the present.

But the most important thing that makes this movie great is that Bryan Singer loves this franchise and more than making a great blockbuster, he wanted to make a great movie relying on the characters. He was convinced of making the best movie ever and even if it is not the case, I felt it, so despite all is defaults, X-MEN DAYS OF THE FUTURE PAST is a great movie, maybe, one of the best super-hero movies ever made.

I advise you to stay till the end of the credits, the scene is just awesome.
170 out of 266 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of my favorite X-Men!
Top_Dawg_Critic11 July 2017
I don't want to give much away, but of all of the X-Men ever made, this is one of my favorites!

The additional cast was concerning, but overall actually added to this film.

Of course the rest of the usual cast were on point as usual, but what made this movie different than the others, was not the battle of good vs evil, but the timeline differences and the new cast's involvement.

A great addition to the X-Men franchise, and a 9/10 from me!
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best of all xmen movies
nerdingsince199621 May 2014
simply said it was well directed and well acted with good pacing,great cgi effects and epic soundtrack. what more can you expect from a superhero movie? X-Men might be my favorite superhero movie (except wolverine spin off), and DOFP might be the best of them. It's an all star movie with a good director (everything not related to professionalism is irrelevant), in paper it's guaranteed to be at least a decent movie,and boy, they didn't disappoint me at all, really surpassed my expectation.

I am absorbed, nothing else matter except the scenes in front of me.It already had my attention since the overview of the future narrated by professor X. The story has a good pacing,not to slow but not to fast. I didn't notice any plot holes, and there's nothing in the script that annoyed me. Bryan Singer could handle the dramatic and epic scenes very well. the dramatic scenes makes me teared up a little,the epic scenes put me on the edge of my seat. And he sew the humor seamlessly, it was appropriate and subtle,just what I like.

They said that DOFP lack of any definitive villains, but any movie doesn't need definitive villains to be good. X-Men movies is always about fighting the enemy inside every humans and mutants, it's always about self struggle, defeating the darkness inside of you.

4/5 (cause nothing's perfect)
104 out of 162 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
THE GREATEST X-MEN MOVIE
logancrane-713379 February 2021
This is the greatest X-Men movie in my opinion, without a doubt, the story and the acting are phenomenal, the ending is fantastic, and the effects in this film are amazing. Alongside all of this, the cast is massive and full of great actors, it's sequels may not have been amazing, but this movie paves the way for them nicely
Best xmen movie ever
musabmusab29 October 2020
I still remember I had watched enough movies one can watch in 2,3 months and can gets bored from movies but when I watched this movie I didn't feel bored for a minute. It was a great movie
One of the best
rick-9889912 June 2020
I am going to skip commenting on the movie and just say watch it - if you have not or rewatch to get some more mutant for your money!
X-Men: The BEST ONE
thepriceofpayne10 June 2019
By brilliantly combining the original cast and our new first class crew, all while telling a classic comic book storyline and giving it JUSTICE. "X-Men: Days of Future Past" gives us everything we love about this franchise and more, with great performances all around and giving us a magnificent hybrid conclusion/beginning that sets the stage for what's yet to come.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A whole lot of fun but the finale is overblown
eddie_baggins21 October 2014
The X-Men series has been with us now for well over a decade and in that time we have been witness to some truly great examples of the comic book genre (X-Men 2, First Class) and some truly forgettable examples of the genre (X-Men 3, X-Men Origins) and in an instance where things seem to have come full circle with the reappearance of the series original helmer Bryan Singer, this latest X-Men falls somewhere in between the others, despite it being arguably at certain times the most entertaining entry into the series to date.

With a convoluted story line that even the slightest thought into will display its many flaws, Days of Future Past for the first 90 or so minutes displays an incredible ability to be fun, frenetic, original and engaging with one of the year's best singular scenes taking place in the Pentagon and a whole lot of creative banter taking place between everyone's favourite mutton chop sporting superhero and the younger more sombre Professor X and his loyal sidekick Beast. Time fly's by as the action takes place in the 70's, full of camcorder action, 70's ditties and enough old school fashion to outrival American Hustle, the jaunt back in time really takes X-Men to places we have not yet been and with a fantastic cast, all feels steadily on song to become the quintessential adventure in the series so far but then low and behold like so many before it, this superhero adventure gets lost in its third act.

Days of Future Past seemingly went all out to create a 3rd act not content with one time frame but multiple ones, and it becomes a mess of a million different ideas flying about the screen all at once. There's mutants v humans, sentinels vs mutants (in the future!), President Nixon and Tyrion Lannister verse our hero's and a raft of other subplots and ideas to boot. It's a real shame, but the finale to the film feels like a major step down from what had been building before it and it feels less spectacle and more preaching, which in this genre never seems to completely work. While the ending is a huge anticlimax the acting by the large is fantastic with Fassbender and McAvoy in particular continuing on their fine turns and the direction of Singer is often highly inventive, therefore the film feels frequently fresh.

This newest entry into the X-Men cannon has been highly regarded by critics and audiences alike and with a large haul at the Box Office the world over it looks likely that many will be waiting Apocalypse's arrival with baited breathe. There is a lot to like in this journey and there are some inspired ideas that sadly culminate in an unsatisfactory and overblown finale. It's hard to agree with all the praise and love given to this film that in the end is nothing more than an enjoyable romp in the universe that is Marvel, but I guess we should all be thankful, it's like those horrible Wolverine movies never happened.

3 and a half floating stadiums out of 5

For more movie reviews and opinions check into -

www.jordanandeddie.wordpress.com
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A brilliant addition to a very hit or miss franchise. Dare I say better than "The Avengers"?
mikeymcdo4 June 2014
I always thought the X-Men were the real deal. When everyone was praising the brilliance of The Avengers I was more preoccupied in the compelling dynamic between the 2 leads, Xavier and Magneto in X-men First Class. Despite loving "Earths Mightiest Heroes" the story hasn't got a lot of grit to it and is rather zany. X-Men on the other hand I find to be a lot more compelling especially through it's sub-text of societies prejudice on minorities these are highlighted specifically well in First Class and X2.

By taking the principal characters from both these films and bringing them together into a desperate attempt to warn the past of the atrocities of the future in Days of Future Past is a work of genius. Days of Future Past is loaded full of exceptional performances James McAvoy is superb as a young Professor who has lost his way and has withdrawn from offering guidance. Michael Fassbender's performance is magnetic quite literally...but figuratively it is a fascinating portrayal of a man determined to get his way yet still showing respect for his old friend Charles Xavier. This dynamic that has carried on from First Class really fascinates me. Yes the action scenes with the mutant side characters like Blink and Storm are very impressive but the conflicting principals of these 2 characters is the big draw to me.

Patrick Stewart and Sir Ian's interpretation of these characters is a much welcome return adding an element of class to the rowdiness of there youthful selves. However I wanted to see more of the desperate survival within the post apocalyptic future. A whole movie could've been done on establishing the bleak future of a world ruled by Sentinels.

The big poster characters of these movies Wolverine and Mystique are also great. Wolverine is a bit of a bore in his solo outings. Having him function within a team is infinitely more compelling. Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique has many poignant scenes with the story hinging on her actions entirely which really raise the stakes.

With such an expansive cast all having a chance to shine it is a massive shame that Bryan Singer didn't direct the major let down that was X-Men 3 and Origins. It's nice that the characters act like the events never happened but it's a shame that I can't. As a standalone entry to the series X-Men Days of Future Past has a thoughtful script that doesn't rely on mindless action sequences to keep your attention. Along with it's stellar cast, this is a truly amazing installment to a messy franchise that now has a chance to develop.
22 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bryan Singer's magic flourishes on screen..... X men beats everything else!!!!!!
devanshsharma509 May 2014
OMG!!! This movie cannot be simply described in words. If you loved X men first class then this movie is a treat for you. This is a movie even non-x men fans will enjoy. Go see this movie guys. Your mind will be blown. I've already seen this movie and looking forward to see it again.

Hugh Jackman does the best wolverine ever. He became the wolverine i wanted to see on screen for ages. The interesting chemistry between James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender is more enjoyable than ever. But jennifer lawrence and Evan Peters at Quicksilver steal the movie. Quicksilver may not look so cool but he is the coolest guy in the whole movie.

Believe me, this movie is worth your bucks. Moreover there are a bunch of new x men characters introduced in the movie which make it more enjoyable.Bryan Singer has done complete justice to this movie. And there is one scene just halfway through the movie which is worth watching fifty times. I am thoroughly excited to see the next entry entry in series which is being called Apocalypse.

The only shortcoming in the movie is the runtime which feels a little less being only 130 mins. Rest of the movie is a jigsaw which fits together in a wondrous puzzle.

So you must go to see this movie. Every element is in a balanced form. Even the soundtrack is fitting.

Happy watching !!!!
250 out of 418 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A great Xmen movie
holifeno13 May 2014
The Parisian premiere was yesterday and therefore, I actually did see the movie and let me tell you this: all the waiting and fuss around this movie is well worth it and well deserved. It is a great movie, easily relatable in many ways.

I won't say a word about the acting. When you have established actors such as McAvoy — who repeatedly stole the screen with his heart-clenching performance — and Fassbender, along with their older 'counterparts' — McKellen and Stewart — you are in for a treat when it comes to the acting performance itself. No surprise there.

This movie is a great movie in the sense that it finds its source in the very core of humanity's struggles, and shows that Xmen's themes — much like Marvel's latest movies — are still very relevant in the world today. You will see that yourself.

The movie is action packed. There is no irrelevant scenes — I tend to judge movies by the ratio of irrelevant scenes per minute in it — and there is no break between action scenes and more emotional, storyline scenes. You won't be bored.

But along with the action, and the acting, there is also the usual dose of humor found in most Marvel movies, without being out of place and without cutting the pace of the movie in itself. There, Hugh Jackman will provide you with a few laughs, or at least, will bring a smile to your face.

The cinematography in itself was excellent. Excellent use of the 3D. Great camera work — at some point, you will be rather amazed by the use of slow mo and 3D.

So, why not 10 out of 10 then? Because of the score. If the soundtrack was good, it didn't match what I got used to with the recent Marvel movies. Good score but not as good as I expected it to be. Maybe it was because we were all more focused on the fast-paced action scenes and the storyline in itself rather than whatever was playing behind. I might need to go back and watch it again once it's out for general public to really appreciate the little details that I might have missed in a cinema filled with excited fans.

But over all, it was an excellent, entertaining and relevant Xmen movie. A good movie. A great Xmen movie. Full of Easter eggs for more hardcore fans as well. The waiting was worth it.
143 out of 234 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
X-Men : Days of Future Triomph
tardieu-felix20 May 2014
Right now, I'm still trying really hard to find out one bad thing from the X-Men movie I've just seen:

The characters maybe ? No: every single character is perfectly represented,interpreted (in particularly with a stunning James McAvoy and an impressive Michael Fassbender) and useful to the story. Maybe the plot then ? No: you'll get easily into it, because it is very well written for the screen, meaning you will be transported as Bryan Singer seems to know perfectly how to put in place a very cinematic puzzle. Emotions ? You will get some, as long as you loved the original X-Men characters. The soundtrack ? It is spotless and superbly fitting. Visual Effects ? Always there when we want them to be, and not when it is unnecessary. Action scenes ? You'll be amazed, thrilled and captivated when you will realize that every single scene has a purpose, whether it has some action or simple emotions and character's development.

All these qualities put together are forming a very classical but excellent & accomplished movie, completed by a skilled sense of cinematic continuity that we didn't have since Singer left the franchise (at least until X-Men First Class). In other words, you should not be afraid to see this movie, because if you don't want to be disappointed, I can tell : you won't be.

But is the future of this X-Men movie truly set ? This is something you'll have to figure out by yourselves, and this until the very end of the credits...
172 out of 289 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a simply gorgeous film
cajohn0067 September 2014
This is what the comic book film genre was supposed to be. Fast-paced, intense, character-driven - all of that, but with HEART. What a work of art, Marvel. Please don't take us for granted like you did in the early 2000's. Keep it true. Keep it fun. That's all you have to do. And you did it here. THANK YOU. And how can you not love the easter eggs everywhere in these films. Wonderful hat-tips to the comics.

But that cast....this series set the bar wonderfully high for subsequent Marvel movies. Michael Fassbender & James McAvoy might be the greatest actors in a Marvel film. Good GOD. Perfect ambassadors for the X-Men series for years to come.

And uh......can we see Deadpool done right? :) Beggars & choosers, I know! PEACE!
12 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Convincing performances, fantastic cinematography in the fifth X-Men installment
macblackslair21 May 2014
In the near future, mutants and ordinary humans alike are under attack and losing the battle. So our heroes from former installments try to prevent this war by sending Wolverine (Hugh Jackman) back to the past so he can fix the mess a certain blue lady (Jennifer Lawrence) is creating. In the year 1973, Wolverine meets young and depressed Charles Xavier (James McAvoy) and Erik Lehnsherr (Michael Fassbender) again. Will he succeed in uniting the two mutant geniuses and change everything?

That said, "X-Men: Days of Future Past" is a thrilling experience. The chemistry between James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender is amazing, as are their performances. Again. Nicholas Hoult does a fantastic job as Hank. Hugh Jackman is Wolverine, meaning he IS THE Wolverine. "Game of Thrones" star Peter Dinklage does a great job as Dr. Trask. And yes, I love Jennifer Lawrence as Raven. Plus, we see Ellen Page and Omar Sy, and Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen are great as ever.

I like the performances and the acting in general. There are quite some emotional scenes. Needless to say that James McAvoy pulls them off so well it almost hurts.

"X-Men: Days of Future Past" promises fun as well. Action sequences are spiced with nice effects and flavored with some humor. Evan Peters who plays Quicksilver is amazing in his role and gives you something to watch in amazing 3D.

Last but not least, the cinematography is fantastic. Yes, I have seen even better results, but scenes, cuts, and effects fit the movie. 3D looks and feels great.

Overall, I rate it as one of the best X-Men movies so far. Although I am aware of some logical gaps (considering the original X-Men movie time line), I accept "X-Men: Days of Future Past" as a more or less alternate canon time line. By doing so, it is easy to enjoy these two hours full of mutants, their powers, and their fears.
18 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bryan Singer does it again!!!
AaronRubalcava5 October 2014
Ahhh the X-men Franchise.There's the good: X-men, X2 and x-men first class and the bad: X3, god dammit Brett Ratner.But with a familiar face returning to the franchise Its easy to say the franchise is being brought to life and exceeding new levels with Days of future past.So as always I will rank this art film as 1.Acting, 2.Plot, 3.Sfx and 4.Flaws, 5:Direction.

1:The acting:The acting was superb.Hugh Jackman is as good as always playing the 6 foot 3 Canadian with anger issues.Micheal Fassbender and especially James McAvoy gave praising performances as the younger counterparts of Patrick Stewart and Ian Mckellen.Micheal Fassbender shows how cold and calculating Magneto is making him the bad-ass super villain.James McAvoy gave a shuddering performance as a broken down Charles Xavier who's lost his way.Evan Peters was great as the speedy quicksilver(I doubt avengers 2 quicksilver will beat this one)who stole the show for the part he was given.Jennifer Lawrence was also good as the troubled Mystique.10/10 2.The Plot:In 2023, the mutants face the biggest threat yet:the sentinels, which are mutant killing robots made by Bolivar Trask, 50 years ago.The sentinels are so advanced that they adapt to any mutant power.So what do they have to do to stop the massacre?They have to send the Wolverine back to the past to change the future.Sounds good right?10/10 3.SFX:The GCI was simply stunning.The sentinels (both future and past)looked amazing.The mutant powers were awe strucking(especially quicksilver's superhuman speed).10/10 4.Flaws:Although the X-men franchise is pretty flawed some things were explained.Like how Charles could walk.How Hank Mcoy was still human in X2.But some questions remain unanswered.Like did Logan ever undergo the weapon X procedure?How is professor X still alive?Well we still have X-men:Apocalypse coming up so they might be awnsered.9/10 5.The direction:After 3 blockbuster movies, it really shows how Bryan Singer knows how this team of outcasts functions(Not you, Brett Ratner).He really knows how this team works and there's heart in this film (unlike the Avengers).There's a right amount of action, dialog and emotion to this film.Worth buying.

Overall:10/10.This flick is a perfect blend of everything.Even if your-re not a fan of superhero movies this one is still going to surpass your expectations.Its worth it.Cant wait for Apocalypse, Bryan Singer.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.