X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014) Poster

The perfect blend between character-driven drama and fun, edge-of-your-seat spectacle!
gogoschka-111 May 2014
I must admit, the trailers didn't have me convinced - and after the sour taste 'Jack the Giant Slayer' left in my mouth, I was sceptic. I really dug Matthew Vaughn's approach with 'First Class' (who had a tough task rebooting the franchise after the lacklustre 'Last Stand' and the generic, dull 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine') and I wouldn't have minded him returning at all. But as it turns out, Bryan Singer (yes, I dare speak his name) still has a few tricks up his sleeve. For its sheer scale and epic storytelling alone, 'Days of Future Past' is fantastic.

It's a shame there's so much controversy surrounding this film, but I guess whoever chooses to deprive himself willingly of such a pleasure must be fully aware that he does so at his own expense. Because this is the kind of film that made me fall in love with movies in the first place.

Yet (despite my 10-star review), it's not perfect. And it's not 'The Usual Suspects' with mutants - how could it be; this is simply not that kind of film. But I have to say that pretty much my only gripe with this movie is that it has too many characters and that some of them don't get enough screen time (or actually, there's not too many characters: there's just too many great actors playing those characters – but then again, that's half of the fun). Of all the X-men films, this has the most complex plot – and also the most interesting. Different time-lines are tricky to do and can be rather hard to follow, but thanks to a (very!) clever script with a great part for Logan, we never get lost. And that's the best news: sorely missed in the last instalment (except for a hilarious cameo), the franchise has Hugh Jackman back. And of him at least we do get to see a lot, since he really leads us through this film (giving his best Wolverine performance yet along the way). If Logan can be called the heart of the X-men, then Charles Xavier must be the mind while Magneto and Mystique provide the - slightly twisted - soul, and seeing them all together again brought a broad, stupid grin to my face (which only got broader whenever Quicksilver appeared on screen - for reasons you will have to find out for yourselves).

What really sets the X-men films apart from the ever more derivative comic-book adaptations – at least as far as I'm concerned – is that I always genuinely cared for the characters, and 'Days of Future Past' is no exception. I love loud, spectacular action movies as much as the next guy, but if I don't get to care for the protagonists – what's the point? The reason I gave this 10 stars, and what is so exceptional these days, is that what we get here is a complex, smart Fantasy/Sci-Fi thrill-ride that respects its origins as much as it embraces the future, while never - ever - forgetting that its first job is to entertain the audience. For finding that perfect, rare balance between character-driven human drama and no-holds-barred popcorn action spectacle, 'Days of Future Past' deserves my 10-star rating (which is a first for me: I've never given 10-stars to a comic-book movie).

So my verdict: If you like to get your minds blown by something with true heart and soul, this massive 'mutant' of a film is upon you, and all you have to do is give in to the X-citement. Enjoy the ride.

Favorite Films: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls054200841/
434 out of 585 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A stunning achievement – a blockbuster movie packed with at least as much heart as spectacle.
shawneofthedead16 May 2014
With its mind-boggling premise and jaw-dropping cast, X-Men: Days Of Future Past blasts into cinemas bearing the weight of great expectations. Surely this mash-up of X-Men past and future has the potential to be the best superhero blockbuster our world will ever see? Well, yes and no.

To be strictly objective, Days Of Future Past can occasionally come off as a little too earnest, its enormous cast of characters getting somewhat lost in the grinding of its narrative gears. But, when it works (which is most of the time), Days Of Future Past comes pretty darn close to nerdvana – this is a smart, rich film that effectively mines its source material (both the movies and Chris Claremont's classic 1981 storyline in the comic books) and its incredible cast for emotion, power and depth.

Flash forward to the bleakest of futures. X-Men we have known – led by perennial frenemies Professor Charles Xavier (Patrick Stewart) and Erik Lensherr/Magneto (Ian McKellen) – are being hunted mercilessly by a horde of intelligent, death-mongering robots known as Sentinels. With little hope for survival, the desperate X-Men decide to send Wolverine (Hugh Jackman) back in time to the 1970s. There, he must find the younger Charles (James McAvoy) and Erik (Michael Fassbender) – several years estranged after the traumatic events of X-Men: First Class – and get them to change the future before it can happen.

Sounds simple enough? Not really. Days Of Future Past frequently threatens to fall foul of its complicated puzzle-box of a narrative, one that involves time travel, quantum physics and a swirling mess of characters, action and motivations. There's Dr. Bolivar Trask (Peter Dinklage), creator of the Sentinel programme, whose assassination in the past by Charles' pseudo-sister Raven (Jennifer Lawrence) brings about the dystopia of the future. There are prison breaks, astral projections, and several grisly mutant deaths. Truthfully, this incredibly ambitious mix of character, plot and spectacle could very easily go horribly wrong.

What's so impressive about director Bryan Singer's return to the franchise is how well he weaves all the disparate threads of his narrative together. This is emphatically not the Singer who gave us mediocre misfires like Superman Returns and Jack The Giant Slayer. Rather, this is the work of the Singer who made his mark with films like X1, X2 and The Usual Suspects, all of which featured a masterful blend of wit and wisdom, character and story.

In Days Of Future Past, Singer skilfully plays on the schism that opened up between Erik and Charles at the end of First Class to add welcome depths of emotion to the high stakes already in play. The deep, difficult relationship between the two men has always been the fulcrum of the series, and Singer allows it to breathe and grow. With the help of McAvoy and Fassbender (not to mention Stewart and McKellen), some of the best actors in the business, the director makes it possible to believe that resentment can give way to forgiveness, and vice versa, often in the blink of an eye. McAvoy, in particular, gives a shudderingly good performance as a man called upon to help others when he's lost his own way.

With such an enormous revolving cast of characters, Singer even manages to give many – though not all – of them their hearts and souls. (Alas, Storm/Ororo, we will never know ye!) Thrust into the unlikely role of mentor to the broken, heartsore Charles, Wolverine must find a different sort of strength and ingenuity within himself. Jackman plays the role beautifully, anchoring the two timelines with charm and gravitas. Though still something of an awkward fit for her part, Lawrence, too, plays Raven's dilemma very well, as she wavers between Charles' offer of hope and Erik's often bloody single-mindedness.

But Days Of Future Past doesn't just mire itself in the toss and tumble of its characters' emotional journeys. Singer throws in a few crackerjack action sequences, opening the film with a heart-stopping massacre that very effectively underscores the dire threat posed by the Sentinels of the future. Crucially, Singer also finds the time and space within the darkest shadows of his story to have a little fun, judiciously tossing quips and sight gags into the mix – particularly in a tour de force prison break sequence, in which the preternaturally speedy Pietro Maximoff (Evan Peters), better known to comic aficionados as Quicksilver, literally runs away with the entire show.

Make no mistake about it, this is a behemoth of a film that won't go down well with everybody. Newbies will almost certainly find themselves lost, bewildered, and perhaps even bored. Singer's tale sprawls in so many directions that, if you're not at least marginally invested in the characters, it could prove to be a trying experience.

But, for everyone else, ranging from casual fans to enthusiasts and obsessives, Singer and screenwriter Simon Kinberg have crafted something truly remarkable. Steeped in history and lore, both of the cinematic and comic-book variety, Days Of Future Past feels like a dark love letter to the spirit of that original band of mutants and the message of hope, tolerance and humanity that has always accompanied their attempts to find their place on Earth.

Most remarkably of all, Days Of Future Past practically radiates a bravery and freshness that you'd never expect from the seventh film in a blockbuster franchise. Instead of playing it safe and sound, Days Of Future Past mashes up past, present and future, sweeping up a lot of what has been taken for granted in the X-Men cinematic universe and, well, chucking it out of the proverbial window. The ending of this film truly opens up an intriguing plethora of narrative possibilities that stretch in any and all directions. On the strength of this outing, that's something to be anticipated, rather than feared.
310 out of 434 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Visually Stunning And Exhilarating Flick
CalRhys5 June 2014
2014 has proved to be a successful year so far for Marvel with 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' and the most recent 'X-Men: Days of Future Past'. Bryan Singer returns for the most recent X-Men after being absent for the past four films, and what a return he has made. 'Days of Future Past' is truly an impressive and spectacular instalment in both the 'X- Men' franchise and the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe, combining the casts from both the original trilogy and the prequel allowing the audience to view the 'X-Men' in the past, present and future. The action scenes are intense and spectacularly choreographed with some fantastic heroes and foes fighting both against and alongside each other. As a personal opinion, 'Days of Future Past' is the best film to have graced the Marvel film franchise and one of the greatest superhero films of all-time. A visually stunning and exhilarating flick that combines the best elements of the series to create a fantastic and entertaining film.
182 out of 258 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best X-Men movie Yet! Believe It
jigsaw-9112 May 2014
I was so intrigued about this movie. I had a terrible feeling of disappointment because First Class was absolutely fine and riveting. That one was even better than X-Men 2 (the last one directed by Brian Singer before this). So I tried to went to see this with low expectation. And what a wonderful entertainment and surprising thoughtful story I found here. Days Of Future Past is the best X-men movie so far for two main reasons:

Fans of the original trilogy and First Class will definitely enjoy this one thanking its nostalgia and its perfect and well balanced mix between the original characters and the new ones (with just a few ones who maybe deserved more credit, but is not at all a problem for the movie). & This movie delivers a surprising top notch entertaining with a potent story and some good twists that help to live up expectations mixed with terrific special effects and cinematography. 3-D is very cool here.

The actors are fantastic. Fassbender and McAvoy still delivering amazing performances meanwhile Stewart and Mckellen give their reflections in the same excellent way that in the trilogy. Hugh Jackman finally finds his character as a true important one in comparison with the last movies. Wolverine/Logan finally has a proper treatment in this movie that will help anyone who could be annoyed with his solo adventures to love him again. They are the five main stars of the story with the inclusion of a spectacular and skillful Mystique (impressive Jennifer Lawrence who steals almost every scene of hers) who is undoubtedly the sixth one. The other actors made good performances and make possible the transitions of the story until the amazing finale.

It has been so many comparisons with The Avengers. Let me tell you something with all my respect. I found this one truly better. X-Men: Days of Future Past will please the fans and moviegoers and will inject fresh blood and joy to the franchise. This is a terrific time at the movies. Don't miss the opportunity to see it.
332 out of 487 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not only is it the best X-Men movie, it's one of the best comic book movies ever made....
edgereviews28 May 2014
X-Men: Days Of Future Past' serves as a sequel to both 'X-Men: First Class' (which is excellent) and 'X-Men: The Last Stand' (which is pretty bad). Now, I used to be a pretty big X-Men fan a few years ago, but after the disappointments of 'X-Men: The Last Stand' and 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine', I kind of just stopped caring about the franchise, even though the subsequent two movies were actually very good (the aforementioned 'X-Men: First Class' and then 'The Wolverine'). That being said, I was still looking forward to 'Days Of Future Past', what with it being the return of the old 'X-Men' crew, and I was also moderately familiar with the 'Days Of Future Past' comic. I was just expecting it to be good though, but it turns out not only is 'Days Of Future Past' the best X-Men movie yet, it's also one of the best comic-book movies ever made.

In 'Days Of Future Past', the X-Men of the future are facing extinction due to the sentinels which threaten to wipe them all out. They send Wolverine back in time to 1973 where he must recruit Professor X, Magneto and Mystique in order to change the course of history so that the X-Men may survive.

First things first, this is a time travel movie, and time travel movies normally either go very well or very badly. 'Days Of Future Past' marks an occasion where it goes very well, as the time travel logic in this movie is very well thought out and makes perfect sense, I can't pick any holes in it. This movie even manages to validate 'X-Men: The Last Stand' and 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine', which is something that I thought could never be done. It even feels weird just saying that, because righting the wrongs that those movies made is a huge, monumental task, yet this movie pulls it off perfectly.

For a movie that's crowded with so many characters, it's surprising that all of the characters included feel meaningful and aren't shoehorned in. We have Hugh Jackman returning as Wolverine, and there's not much to say about him that hasn't already been said. He is Wolverine, the role is made for him and he absolutely owns it. James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender are incredible as Charles Xavier and Erik Lensherr respectively, their characters have an amazing relationship and the two of them are just phenomenal at pulling it off. We also have the future X-Men cast with the like of Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellan and Ellen Page, and while they have a lot less screen time they're still great. I was surprised at how prominent a role Jennifer Lawrence had as Mystique, over the past few months I've had a growing dislike towards Jennifer Lawrence but I can't deny that she is great in this role. Then we have all of the new characters, like Bolivar Trask (Peter Dinklage), Bishop (Omar Sy) and Blink (Bingbing Fan), all of whom are great. But there is one new character who is greater than all, and that character is Quicksilver.

Quicksilver in this movie is perfect. In fact, it's worth seeing this movie just for him. He doesn't have a huge amount of screen time and it comes fairly early on in the movie, but he is the best part of this film by far. There is one particular sequence with him in a kitchen, and it is jaw-droppingly beautiful. The visuals in the scene are gorgeous, the music is perfect, and it's both hilarious and stunning. The way that Quicksilver's super speed effect has been done is amazing. Some people thought the costume looked goofy, but I think it works perfectly well considering the time period and the personality of the character. I've been a big fan of Evan Peters for a while, and he is great in the role, he is very entertaining and has a great screen presence. I never thought I'd be saying this, but I doubt Marvel will be able to produce a better Quicksilver in 'Avengers: Age Of Ultron' than the one that's on display here.

But you know what I think all this great quality comes down to? Bryan Singer. I'm pretty sure Bryan Singer is just the perfect X-Men director. Even though up until now I thought 'X-Men: First Class' was the best of the X-Men franchise, it didn't really feel like the X-Men in the way that 'X-Men' and 'X2′ did. 'Days Of Future Past' nails that X-Men dynamic while still being an exceptionally good movie. Part of that X-Men dynamic comes from John Ottman's amazing score, as it's so good to finally hear his X-Men theme again.The action scenes are incredible, especially the opening one which uses some of the new mutant powers phenomenally, especially Blink's. The movie is very well paced, I never grew bored and I didn't want it to end.

'Days Of Future Past' also surprisingly has a lot of very funny humour in it, but it's not humour that's just forced in for the sake of it, it all feel natural and within the confines of these characters. This film nails the comic book movie aspect; it has a plot which is clearly very serious yet it is still silly enough to remain a comic book film, unlike movies like 'Man Of Steel' and 'The Dark Knight' which go so dark that they just completely ditch the comic book aspect. There are also a few nice references that fans of the comics will get, which is just a small example of the great fan service this movie does for readers of the 'X-Men' comics.

'Days Of Future Past' made me remember why I was such a big X-Men fan. It rekindled my love for the characters and story lines, and like I said above, it's one of the best comic book movies ever made.
180 out of 280 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Superb In Every Way!
bandobutt20 May 2014
Days of Future Past continues the work of X2 as genre-defining. I have to classify it as a work of art/comic book pulp fiction. The characters, effects, and story are outstanding. Everything in this movie is exceedingly better in the sequel then even the first two films and First Class. Like X2, the acting is superb and the dialogue is rich. Every character feels believable. No cartoonish villains, every side of the issue is presented by people who believe they are the ones who are in the right and the underlying message of tolerance and bigotry only add to the depth of this film. What's better then its predecessor X3 in every way. It restores the sense of epic adventure and grand-scale storytelling that's been absent from far too many of most alleged blockbusters.

This film is far more sophisticated and has a better story than any X-Men movie to date. Here, the characters previously introduced but under used are utilized in a comprehensive and cohesive manner, and the newly introduced characters are blended in seamlessly with the story. The music is very good as is the special effects. The budget clearly hit the screen fully and there are truly some amazing sequences to behold. The cast-selection is still perfect.

Overall, this is one of the best genre films of all-time.
157 out of 249 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A new kind of super heroes movies (sorry for English mistakes)
bthivet13 May 2014
As a well known director one says, to make a great movie, you have to (as a director) believe your movie is the best ever made. In today's blockbuster standards, we do not see that at all. What I see when I watch a Marvel/Disney movie (just for the example), I feel as a spectator that directors want to make an entertainment movie, with an absolutely needs of huge action and explosion scenes, with a crescendo structure ending with a KABOOM (what an illustration^^). That's great, that make good blockbusters – but not great. I had high expectations with this movie, and yet I am not an X-Men fan and Bryan singer disappointed me a lot of times - but the trailer gave me chills and as French, I really wanted to see Omar Sy in a super-production (stupid but true).

Anyway, after seeing it, with 2500 X-Men fan in Paris, I was divided. In fact, I expected something else entirely. There is some plot holes, monotonous parts… However, after thought a lot about it, I have to say that is a masterpiece in super heroes' movies. Why? Because it is very different from what we see today, we are not waiting for a finale with explosions, characters just keep moving so the finale do not overdo it but is still very impressive visually. Plus, this movie is very human paradoxically: it speaks about usual mutants themes, but the very point of the movie is can we change, whether it be the past or our vision of the present. The intelligence of the movie is not to focus on changing the past but on writing the present.

But the most important thing that makes this movie great is that Bryan Singer loves this franchise and more than making a great blockbuster, he wanted to make a great movie relying on the characters. He was convinced of making the best movie ever and even if it is not the case, I felt it, so despite all is defaults, X-MEN DAYS OF THE FUTURE PAST is a great movie, maybe, one of the best super-hero movies ever made.

I advise you to stay till the end of the credits, the scene is just awesome.
152 out of 249 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bryan Singer's magic flourishes on screen..... X men beats everything else!!!!!!
devanshsharma509 May 2014
OMG!!! This movie cannot be simply described in words. If you loved X men first class then this movie is a treat for you. This is a movie even non-x men fans will enjoy. Go see this movie guys. Your mind will be blown. I've already seen this movie and looking forward to see it again.

Hugh Jackman does the best wolverine ever. He became the wolverine i wanted to see on screen for ages. The interesting chemistry between James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender is more enjoyable than ever. But jennifer lawrence and Evan Peters at Quicksilver steal the movie. Quicksilver may not look so cool but he is the coolest guy in the whole movie.

Believe me, this movie is worth your bucks. Moreover there are a bunch of new x men characters introduced in the movie which make it more enjoyable.Bryan Singer has done complete justice to this movie. And there is one scene just halfway through the movie which is worth watching fifty times. I am thoroughly excited to see the next entry entry in series which is being called Apocalypse.

The only shortcoming in the movie is the runtime which feels a little less being only 130 mins. Rest of the movie is a jigsaw which fits together in a wondrous puzzle.

So you must go to see this movie. Every element is in a balanced form. Even the soundtrack is fitting.

Happy watching !!!!
244 out of 415 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A great Xmen movie
holifeno13 May 2014
The Parisian premiere was yesterday and therefore, I actually did see the movie and let me tell you this: all the waiting and fuss around this movie is well worth it and well deserved. It is a great movie, easily relatable in many ways.

I won't say a word about the acting. When you have established actors such as McAvoy — who repeatedly stole the screen with his heart-clenching performance — and Fassbender, along with their older 'counterparts' — McKellen and Stewart — you are in for a treat when it comes to the acting performance itself. No surprise there.

This movie is a great movie in the sense that it finds its source in the very core of humanity's struggles, and shows that Xmen's themes — much like Marvel's latest movies — are still very relevant in the world today. You will see that yourself.

The movie is action packed. There is no irrelevant scenes — I tend to judge movies by the ratio of irrelevant scenes per minute in it — and there is no break between action scenes and more emotional, storyline scenes. You won't be bored.

But along with the action, and the acting, there is also the usual dose of humor found in most Marvel movies, without being out of place and without cutting the pace of the movie in itself. There, Hugh Jackman will provide you with a few laughs, or at least, will bring a smile to your face.

The cinematography in itself was excellent. Excellent use of the 3D. Great camera work — at some point, you will be rather amazed by the use of slow mo and 3D.

So, why not 10 out of 10 then? Because of the score. If the soundtrack was good, it didn't match what I got used to with the recent Marvel movies. Good score but not as good as I expected it to be. Maybe it was because we were all more focused on the fast-paced action scenes and the storyline in itself rather than whatever was playing behind. I might need to go back and watch it again once it's out for general public to really appreciate the little details that I might have missed in a cinema filled with excited fans.

But over all, it was an excellent, entertaining and relevant Xmen movie. A good movie. A great Xmen movie. Full of Easter eggs for more hardcore fans as well. The waiting was worth it.
136 out of 225 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best of all xmen movies
nerdingsince199621 May 2014
simply said it was well directed and well acted with good pacing,great cgi effects and epic soundtrack. what more can you expect from a superhero movie? X-Men might be my favorite superhero movie (except wolverine spin off), and DOFP might be the best of them. It's an all star movie with a good director (everything not related to professionalism is irrelevant), in paper it's guaranteed to be at least a decent movie,and boy, they didn't disappoint me at all, really surpassed my expectation.

I am absorbed, nothing else matter except the scenes in front of me.It already had my attention since the overview of the future narrated by professor X. The story has a good pacing,not to slow but not to fast. I didn't notice any plot holes, and there's nothing in the script that annoyed me. Bryan Singer could handle the dramatic and epic scenes very well. the dramatic scenes makes me teared up a little,the epic scenes put me on the edge of my seat. And he sew the humor seamlessly, it was appropriate and subtle,just what I like.

They said that DOFP lack of any definitive villains, but any movie doesn't need definitive villains to be good. X-Men movies is always about fighting the enemy inside every humans and mutants, it's always about self struggle, defeating the darkness inside of you.

4/5 (cause nothing's perfect)
89 out of 144 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A bit boring. Huge shocker, I expected this one to be good.
rbestuar27 May 2014
I went into this movie with high expectations so that may be the reason why I wasn't at all impressed with this film. The action was bland, short and just seemed like everything we've already seen before. The truly only great part of this movie was the scene with quicksilver and that was a really short piece of the movie. Once that scene was over the rest of the movie became this huge bore. I go to a movie like this with the usual expectation of seeing something "new".. well I was let down.

The majority of the movie was completely boring. There were only a few scenes of very mediocre action and it just seemed like they did not put a lot of effort into this movie.
47 out of 73 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Some great highlights, a lot of disappointment.
FisheyFilms22 May 2014
*Spoilers*

I tried not to get myself hyped up too much with this film because when Matthew Vaughn left I was pretty bummed out. I loved First Class and the new feel that X-Men had, I was really looking forward to him carrying that on. Unfortunately, Bryan Singer took over. Even with this lowered expectation, I found myself sitting in the cinema multiple times thinking 'Ok we get it, we understand what is at risk here, please lets get on with it!'.

To start with the good points.

The opening - visually amazing and the film was off to a great start. Blink was my favourite of this sequence, her powers of portals were used in really creative ways and kept the action flowing well.

I didn't think I would like Quicksilver at all but I found all the scenes he was in to be extremely entertaining and gave the film the comic book feeling again. You know, that feeling of just enough realism to make it believable yet enough humour to add the fun comic book side of things? He was that in spades and I found my self disappointed when he didn't join up with the X-Men for the rest of the film.

The actors. It was great to such an ensemble on screen and I'd even go as far as saying the young Charles (James McAvoy) stole the show, with the young Magneto (Michael Fassbender) a close second.

There were some nice little nods to most of the other X-Men films and it was good to see all the tie-ins. Also the very few humorous parts, one which comes to mind is when Wolverine walks through the metal detector and it doesn't beep. He looks back in confusion, expecting it to go off. These were great but were far to few.

Now for the not so good points.

Repetition. How many times do we need to hear 'We need to stop Mystique or it's the end of all mutants!?' in some form or another. You see this visually in the past with the older X-Men getting killed off. You don't need to keep telling the audience this as it's what we're seeing! Also, 'Mystique's DNA is the key', 'They can't get Mystique's DNA or else (you guessed it), it's the end of all mutants!'. This got old really quickly and unfortunately I came out of the theatre more frustrated than anything, forgetting the good parts that I liked.

Hollywood seems to think scripts don't matter nearly as much anymore, thinking it can be covered up by fabulous special effects. This is not the case at all and I hope writers are allowed to be more creative instead of getting creativity and risk taking shut down by the suits sitting in their offices.

Lack of action. We're watching this film for over two hours and the best action sequences you get is at the beginning! The ending sequences would have appealed to me a lot more if I hadn't been so frustrated with the script for over half the film.

All and all, this is a must watch film - but I'll only be seeing it the once. Singer, please pass the torch on to someone else and get the fresh feeling back that was First Class.
92 out of 152 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
X-Men : Days of Future Triomph
tardieu-felix20 May 2014
Right now, I'm still trying really hard to find out one bad thing from the X-Men movie I've just seen:

The characters maybe ? No: every single character is perfectly represented,interpreted (in particularly with a stunning James McAvoy and an impressive Michael Fassbender) and useful to the story. Maybe the plot then ? No: you'll get easily into it, because it is very well written for the screen, meaning you will be transported as Bryan Singer seems to know perfectly how to put in place a very cinematic puzzle. Emotions ? You will get some, as long as you loved the original X-Men characters. The soundtrack ? It is spotless and superbly fitting. Visual Effects ? Always there when we want them to be, and not when it is unnecessary. Action scenes ? You'll be amazed, thrilled and captivated when you will realize that every single scene has a purpose, whether it has some action or simple emotions and character's development.

All these qualities put together are forming a very classical but excellent & accomplished movie, completed by a skilled sense of cinematic continuity that we didn't have since Singer left the franchise (at least until X-Men First Class). In other words, you should not be afraid to see this movie, because if you don't want to be disappointed, I can tell : you won't be.

But is the future of this X-Men movie truly set ? This is something you'll have to figure out by yourselves, and this until the very end of the credits...
168 out of 288 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sets a new high-water mark for the franchise.
BrentHankins21 May 2014
After the disappointing and directionless X3: The Last Stand and the abysmal X-Men Origins: Wolverine, prospects for the continuation of the franchise had gone from great to grim in just a few short years. Desperate to breathe life back into the series, 20th Century Fox turned to director Bryan Singer to help right the ship, and although Singer didn't return to the director's chair, he oversaw production of X-Men: First Class, an origin story centered on the friendship between Charles Xavier (James McAvoy) and Erik Lensherr (Michael Fassbender) in their early years. A critical and commercial success, First Class set the stage for an expanded X-Men universe featuring younger versions of the mutant superheroes, but many fans still clamored for more adventures featuring the original cast. With Singer back at the helm, X-Men: Days of Future Past aims to balance precariously between the two, giving the original on screen mutants one last chance to shine, while simultaneously pushing the younger generation forward, and fixing a few glaring continuity errors along the way. The film opens with a tremendous action sequence in the near future, where an army of mutant-hunting robots called Sentinels have driven the X-Men underground. This sequence of events was set into motion some 50 years earlier, when Mystique (Jennifer Lawrence) assassinated Bolivar Trask, a military scientist and anti-mutant activist whose experimental Sentinel program would only be accelerated by his untimely demise. With only a handful of their kind remaining, and their numbers dwindling seemingly by the second, the elder Xavier (Patrick Stewart) and Magneto (Ian McKellan) discover that Kitty Pryde (Ellen Page) has the ability to transport a person's consciousness into their younger self. It's a painful experience, one that Xavier is far too fragile to withstand, but thanks to his innate healing ability, Wolverine (Hugh Jackman) is the perfect candidate to be sent back to alter the events that led to the destruction of the mutant race. Waking up in his 1973 body, Wolverine is tasked with tracking down and reuniting Xavier and Lensherr to stop the assassination of Trask. Easy enough, right? Unfortunately, Xavier has become a bitter, reclusive alcoholic, wasting away in his mansion with his only remaining friend, Hank McCoy (Nicholas Hoult), while Lensherr is incarcerated in the most secure building in the United States after being implicated in the death of President Kennedy. After all, as Xavier puts it, "who else could curve a bullet?" Getting Lensherr out of trouble is a seemingly impossible task, but Wolverine knows a guy. That guy is the young Pietro Maximoff, better known as Quicksilver (Evan Peters), and his handful of scenes are some of the most entertaining moments in the film, particularly an escape sequence that conveys his super-speed abilities by shooting at 3000 frames per second. There have been glimpses of this moment during the film's trailers, but the scene as a whole is staggeringly beautiful, and the character's bizarre sense of humor provides a sense of joy and playfulness that are noticeably absent from the rest of the film. That's not to say X-Men: Days of Future Past is not enjoyable - on the contrary, it's a thrilling experience from start to finish, with plenty of emotional resonance to go along with all the action and special effects. Jackman's performance is less growling menace and more wise mediator, adding yet another dimension to an already complex character. McAvoy and Fassbender still have remarkable chemistry, but the film truly belongs to Lawrence, whose ability to emote through layers of body paint and prosthetics makes Mystique more relatable than ever before. While it's a shame that most of the original X-Men cast are relegated to cameos, those minor appearances tend to come during jaw-dropping action scenes. The futuristic battles between the Sentinels and the last remaining mutants are a joy to behold, with Iceman (Shawn Ashmore) finally using his abilities in ways that fans have always wanted to see, and newcomers like Blink (Fan Bingbing) and Bishop (Omar Sy) getting an opportunity to kick ass alongside the veterans. There are also plenty of references to the previous X-Men films, as Days of Future Past attempts to bridge the gap between the original trilogy and the reboot. William Stryker (Josh Helman) is a looming presence throughout the film, with his work evoking images of the Weapon X program, and the final moments are full of fan service cameos that effectively close the book on the original characters. For the most part, it succeeds, and while there are still a few questions remaining, there's so much to love here that the minor details no longer feel relevant. X-Men: Days of Future Past is a return to form for Singer, whose directorial efforts since the first two films have been rather poorly received. His emotional connection to the material and his love for the characters has never been more evident, and the X-Men have never been more compelling or entertaining. This latest installment proves there's still plenty of life left in the franchise, and we can't wait to see what comes next when the mutants return in 2016. -- Brent Hankins
72 out of 117 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Matrix + The Terminator + Back To The Future (with Mutants)
fpurify25 May 2014
I won't disparage anyone for what they find enjoyable. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. That being said, here is mine...

The hallmark of an intellectually insulting film is when, early in the movie, each of the main characters stands around in a single room reciting one-liners that give away the entire plot. That happens about five minutes into Days of Future Past and serves as a staggering reminder that this ultimately is a movie for kids.

Along the same vein, it would take the film watching experience of a child to not recognize that DOFP is basically an unoriginal mash-up of better films that came before it (the most obvious ripoffs being Back to the Future, Terminator 2, and The Matrix).

In fact, DOFP is nothing more than a mutant version of Back to the Future, with fewer memorable lines, mediocre acting (save for the always excellent Michael Fassbender), without the classic soundtrack, and with no real villain.

**Spoiler Alert** Plot Synopsis: The Matrix, I mean, DOFP, starts with the all-powerful Sentinels having basically destroyed civilization and terrorizing the mutants who remain in Zion, I mean whatever city they live in. Withing five minutes, we find out that a mutant has the ability to allow others to time travel, but that the farther back in time someone travels, the more difficult it is for Ellen Page to hold it all together. Of course, Wolverine is the only one who is strong enough to make the trip. Why are they time traveling? The Terminator, I mean, Wolverine, has to see to it that Sarah Connor, I mean, Raven/Mystique, doesn't kill The Brother From Another Planet, I mean Joe Morton, I mean the guy who creates Sentinels. What else happens in the movie? Nothing of consequence. A lot of running around, chasing, breaking into stuff, and a melodramatic half love-story involving an apparently alcoholic, depressed, and pathetic Professor X and Mystique.

Surely someone out there understands my POV. Again, I respect everyone's opinion, but when I googled DOFP after seeing it and saw a 8.7 rating on IMDb (plus a 91% of RT), my eyes almost fell out of my head.

Background/Disclaimer: I did not grow up reading comics. I occasionally watched, and enjoyed, the X-Men cartoon of the '90s. I have seen X-Men (really good), X2 (amazing), The Last Stand (disappointingly awful), and portions of First Class (no opinion).
62 out of 100 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really twisted with no sense.
praveenalienstar16 June 2014
For those who would have watched all previous x-men movies, this movie will make it all go waste(except x-men first class). Actually the whole movie is based on humans capturing mystique in 1973, some years after the time in x-men first class, and using her DNA to make powerful sentinels to eliminate mutant race. Now here maybe some questions that you might think after watching the movie: 1. If Mystique was captured in 1973, how did she make an appearance in x-men 1,2,3? 2. How can Magneto control the sentinels(robots) and really large objects (A Football stadium) in 1973? 3. If the future is changed, then wolverine would never get his adamantium claws as Mystique takes her in the end of movie. So was there any sense watching x-men origins wolverine? 4. Finally, if no-one dies, than is there any sense of watching x-men 1,2,3 where many characters(Silver Fox, Scott, Jean, Stryker, etc) gets killed? Answer to all these questions is: The directors think the public is stupid and they will earn no matter what crappy story based x-men story they make.
64 out of 104 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Shut Up and Eat Your Popcorn (contains spoilers)
sorednax324 May 2014
I think that pretty much sums up the execs attitude when making this film.

Great cast, excellent performances, spot on effects. Too bad the script was dog food.

Lets start with the end of Xmen Last stand. Professor Xavier is killed right? Well the post credit scene suggests his consciousness survived. Although, we hear his voice, we don't actually see him (Patrick Stewart) cause it would be a whole new body, yes? Next comes Xmen Origins: Wolverine and First Class, nothing that ties this together. While X3 does close the book, it seems, on Scott and Jean, the fate of Charles Xavier is an unresolved issue. Third film comes in, the Wolverine, and again nothing...except, wait. The return of Magneto and Professor X. Wolverine is as stunned by this as we're supposed to be. But it eludes to the upcoming DoFP. So we open in a dystopian future where, ta da, there's Charles. No explanation or anything. 8 years and 4 films, and they fail to resolve this issue. By the way, that Wolverine end scene was as if that never happened, because DoFP takes place 8-10 years later.

I also found it a contrived plot device that time moves in sync, essentially time passes minute by minute in the past for wolverine as it does in the future. Ergo, Logan ages six hours in 1972, he ages six hours in the future (guesstimated at 2022). I would conservatively put Logan's sojourn into the past to be roughly a week. So for one week solid kitty pride is kneeling over him doing the time-phase thing the ENTIRE TIME. I guess she doesn't need to eat, sleep, or poop. Lets also not forget there are a dozen mutants just hanging out all this time. In a world of super sentinels, you'd think they would want to stay mobile, keep moving.

I'd like to know, wtf happened to the world to have a future like that, cause I must of blinked and missed it. X3 and the wolverine left the world in a good place for humans and mutants. Then ker-pow, now we use robots from the 70s? Funny, sentinels were never mentioned in the original films, save for a make believe scenario in the danger room in X3. Yet here they are. In fact, in the year 2000, it seemed the world was just waking up to the idea of mutants. Ohhh that's right, apparently as of now NONE OF THOSE FILMS EVER HAPPENED.

I guess wolverine never gets his adamantium then. Ohhh wait, how did he have adamantium claws in the future when he lost them in the Wolverine?

Xavier suddenly being alive is never explained. The serum he uses to walk again is horribly contrived. It's supposed to explain why we see him walking around in the flashback sequence in X3, as well as the cameo in Origins, but fails. He can walk at the expense of losing his powers. Well, he used them in X3 and Origins. And even so, if the serum later got "perfected", why wouldn't he use it all the time then? Furthermore, if the serum repaired his back, it did nothing for what happened to him at the end of this film where the steel beam crushes his legs.

While seeing certain characters fully realized (iceman using his ice- slide), the film lost its soul. What made the original films so great where how the characters connected with the audience, the social/moral implications of being "different", and the whole judgement, acceptance, and belonging that was such a heavy element to these films has been watered down into movie action schlock. If this film had any real emotional weight, it would of been all those characters in First Class being killed off by the government and the horrible experiments they performed on them. But since this happened off camera and just given a mere mention in this film, the audience is significantly less impacted. "awww, why they have to go and kill off Banshee?" vs, "OMG, you mother ******s, how could you? Avenge him!!!"

Although the original films were always set in "the near future" there were never any elements that made it seem too futuristic. Like the 3d map in the first film, nothing like that existed but it was easy to see us progressing there. In other words, the world felt very real, grounded, believable. Now, it's 8-10 years after X3, and we got giant lasers, space ships, a re-imagined NYC skyline, etc. Like aliens in an Indiana Jones film, these things felt out of place. Then, we use Sentimels, which is far beyond our current technology and have them first invented in 1972? So before we even have the same technology that brought us Atari and cassette players, we have advance cybernetic hunter/killer robots? I get how putting metal in them while they were being shipped allowed Magneto to use his mutant power on them, but doesn't explain how he was able to reprogram them. He talks and they obey him, makes no sense....ahhhhh shut up and eat your popcorn.

Ohhh, one last thing: Dear studio execs, please consider your largest demographic when choosing which characters bare butt to show off.
41 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just when you thought it was wise to stay away from the megaplex ...
rick-j-walsh23 May 2014
X-Men: Days ... is a dazzlingly convoluted popcorn movie extravaganza that brings back memories of the surprising summertime joy of discovering Jaws. Bryan Singer's return to the series results in his best film since The Usual Suspects and one of the best comic book-inspired films this side of The Dark Knight. Using intricate CGI and arresting visuals, time-honored sci-fi plot twists swirling around time travel, and a sense of humor, Singer has crafted a perfect cinematic treat. The acting of the entire cast is perfect. However, Evan Peters in his all too short appearance as Quicksilver, steals the movie. Let's hope he resurfaces in days of future future. Lot's of fun!
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Who needs Avengers when you got X-Men?
comsatteur24 May 2014
Putting aside my being a die-hard Marvel fan and summoning my critical perception to the film, I say this with most sincerity, X-Men: Days of Future Past is the best film of X-Men franchise yet, and for that matter one of cinematic history's best of the superhero genre, easily lining itself to other superhero films' gems like The Dark Knight and the Avengers. I would like to begin by saying that Bryan Singer is a miracle worker (making the "impossible" filmable), making X-Men DOFP one of his finest. Singer carefully crafted every single scene with such awe and sincerity that the word perfection isn't enough to describe it. May it be a series of CGI effects, unique action extravaganzas, and powerful, moving emotional scenes, Singer never failed to blend the elements of a superhero film with human drama. His powerful direction certainly brought the best in each of the cast and unlocked their hidden potentials. For the storyline, I would like to commend the writers for their excellent writing that never failed to amuse and captivate the audience with powerful storytelling while maintaining logic and perceiving bigger messages to society and human faults. (BTW I'm not a huge comic book reader so I don't have any idea what X-Men DOFP would be about) Anyways, the writers did an excellent job in connecting the dots from the past X- Men films (though it's not necessary to watch them all to fully understand the film). Now for the stellar cast: I think the whole cast (both new and recurring) did their best to fully portray the characters they're embodying. First, kudos both to Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan, who both are the embodiment of X-Men themselves; even though their pretty much in the same place the whole film, their performance proved to be timeless without severing emotional vulnerability and the bond of a strong true friendship. Hugh Jackman's performance in the film could be argued as his best portrayal of Wolverine yet. What can we say? He's Hugh Jackman. James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender's characters have evolved so much from the first film, and the two of them displayed performance that made X-Men DOFP superior to other X-Men films. Their portrayals held such pain and confusion from their damaged relationship that made them human despite their superhuman distinctions. Of course there's the ever-astonishing Jennifer Lawrence whose acting prowess is unmatched. Lawrence's Mystique is one of the best portrayal of a troubled character in a superhero film, exploiting mixed feelings with pure acting that made Mystique and Jennifer Lawrence a very crucial piece to the film's success. And for the newcomer Peter Dinklage of Game of Thrones, portrayed a villain with no actual superpowers but made the future as it was in the beginning of the film. His role as Bolivar Trask is an interesting character fighting for survival with judgment clouded by society's erroneous perception. The actors in the supporting roles also did very well. Ellen Page got the spotlight she deserved with her vulnerable yet enduring portrayal of Kitty Pride, who's the bread-and-butter character of the film. Shawn Ashmore has grown so much since his first X-Men film, and that maturity is very much shown in his strong portrayal of Iceman. Halle Berry, while she has a much smaller role in the film, steals the spotlight every second she appeared on screen. The appearance of Bill Stryker (Josh Helman) is of course appreciated as it gives us a brief window to Wolverine's character and proves the quantum theory about time which is an important aspect to the storyline. Smaller roles which are included for filling the shoes of other characters showed so much potential that it's too disappointing they didn't got a chance to develop throughout the film: Colossus (who's supposed to be Kitty Pride's couple, though I don't think that's necessary for now), Sunspot, Bishop, Warpath, Blink (instantly my new favorite character) and Havok from the past. By the way, special mention to Evan Peters and his portrayal of Quicksilver for being too awesome. I think it's very obvious that he would appear not only in future X-Men films but also in other Marvel films (such as Avengers 2) because he's such an iconic character. As expected, the cameo appearances by James Marsden and Famke Janssen as Cyclops and Phoenix set us for the next X-Men film, which I think is great. So that's pretty much my though for X-Men: Days of Future Past (not including the visual effects, sound, costume design etc.). This is a must-see film and it is sure to entrance die-hard Marvel fans and non-fan viewers alike.
12 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
With beautiful special effects, and a good enough story to spend a little more than 2 hours with, while it may lack emotional punch, it is undeniably entertaining.
Amari-Sali24 May 2014
My love for the X-Men was not born due to the comics, or even the cartoons, it was the video games. So, off the bat, let me say while I may know characters faces, and a bit about their background, largely I am quite oblivious to the various universes and stories. So walking in I didn't know much besides fairly recent news stories dealing with Rogue's part being cut, to Kitty seemingly being the one who was supposed to go to the past. Outside of that though, I was a clean slate. Making the movie quite the experience, even if sometimes confusing and surely with details lacking.

Characters & Story

Sometime in the future, the sentinels have almost completed a genocide of not only living mutants, but those who would be the mothers/ fathers, or even grandparents of them. Not only that, mutant allies are killed. But, there remains hope. Said hope is entrusted in Logan/ Wolverine (Hugh Jackman) who, through Kitty Pride (Ellen Page), is sent 50 years back in time to try to make the reconciliation of Charles Xavier (James McAvoy/ Patrick Stewart) and Magneto (Michael Fassbender/ Ian McKellen) happen far before both are senior citizens.

Along this journey though, there is a need to address Mystique's (Jennifer Lawrence) position in all that happens, as she seems integral in either the destruction, or salvation, of mutant kind. All because of her interactions with one man: Bolivar Trask (Peter Dinklage). The precursor to William Stryker (Josh Helman), who may not hate mutants, but surely is aware that with their rise comes mankind becoming obsolete, or downsized in the grand scheme of things. So, live or die, that is Mystque's decision, and with Logan having a limited time to change the past, catching and changing the mind of a highly illusive woman, with Xavier's help of course, is quite the task.

Praise

With this being a Marvel movie, especially X-Men, the biggest bit of praise first has to go to the special effects team. Between the fights against the sentinels, the transformations of Beast (Nicholas Hoult) and Mystque, as well as watching all mutants involved exhibiting their powers to varying degrees, it left me in awe enough to forget to take down notes at times. Also, as most Marvel movies have, there is a good use of humor, though it unfortunately isn't seen throughout but only in certain sections. Quicksilver (Evan Peters), for example, probably left the biggest impression on me because his interactions with Logan, Magneto and Xavier were hilarious, and definitely a highlight of the film. Peters way of delivering lines almost seemed Deadpool like.

But, if you were to focus just on the story, and set aside the special effects and jokes, I'm slightly sad to say that the veterans do a far better job at bringing some sense of emotion to the story than the newcomers. Naturally, the genuine friendship between Sir Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart makes the Magneto/ Professor X saga more than some re-imagined Malcolm X vs. Martin Luther King Jr. Their complicated history is masterfully crafted by McKellan and Stewart to the point they eclipse the other actors for their performances have various degrees of emotion, while everyone else seemingly only exhibit fear or self- loathing.

Criticism

And with that said, being someone who increasingly has watched Marvel films, I have to say I found it odd that the film with the largest amount of misfits, and those that have suffered, didn't lead to stronger performances. Which isn't to say they weren't good, though more so adequate, but perhaps with McKellen and Stewart there, using their veteran experience on how you could get a point, or feeling, across without overdoing it, in comparison it just makes the other actors look just good enough. Take for example the two major relationships in the movie: Young Xavier and Magneto, and Young Xavier and Mystique. Considering all that happens in the past is what is supposed to build toward the future, be it lost chemistry, or perhaps too many special effects to take into consideration, I found it hard to get lost in characters interacting and sensing a serious connection between them. Making it where the film leaped from past to present, it was like dealing with a bright enough light bulb to one which was luminous.

Which to me was weird since in First Class there was good chemistry. But in this film there lacks consistency. Like a flickering light bulb you know you just put in, you know what should happen, and that it worked in the past, but don't understand why things aren't working now. And while I must note time constraints make it so long heart to hearts aren't possible in the film, I do feel like this was perhaps one of the few Marvel films, for me, which probably focused more the action and effects than it did characters and the story.

Overall: Worth Seeing

Though I must admit I felt a bit disappointed that the movie lacked a sense of heart, the drama of impending doom, watching Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart interact, as well as seeing all my favorite mutants, push this toward being a "Worth Seeing.". For really, what comic book movie is really trying to aim for Oscar nominations? They are purely aimed at entertaining and keeping the franchise's name out there. And while I feel this film may not inspire someone to develop further knowledge of the X-Men universe to spoil the sequel, it is certainly good enough to keep you loyal.
20 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Saving The Future
billygoat107123 May 2014
The timeline of the X-Men movie franchise has been troubling ever since the supposedly conclusion of the series, X-Men: The Last Stand. The studio continues to make more of these by telling each of the mutants' origin stories, but it wasn't quite a success due to leading to a grope of making two awful Wolverine movies and a main prequel that doesn't know where to go afterwards. A solution to fix this is simply time-travel. With all the space time continuum and stuff, it finally has the chance to amend the universe and unhappen the unwanted events of the last movies. In that way, X-Men: Days of Future Past triumphs. The movie itself does need to be a little economical in its exposition, but as a blockbuster it is quite a solid entertainment.

The plot isn't actually a big of an adventure as it sounds. This fact may blind the audience by the vast amount of references from the past films, astounding action scenes, and extended character work. Take all of that away, you'll just get a breezy little mission that just walks in to historic periods and places. Not saying this is a bad thing; the action scenes are in fact a huge benefit of providing real momentum, and the pathos of the main characters are also worth exploring. It's a real joy just seeing these mutants get back together again. But the weakness here is it's too drawn to nostalgia. Don't get me wrong, it is fun remembering the best parts of the old X-Men, and as a time travel movie, this is absolutely essential, but only few become helpful to the plot. The rest of them is just a fan service which doesn't always elevate the overall story.

Then again, the real pleasures are the basic appeal of the series. Most X-Men movies are usually more focused on Wolverine than anyone else, and this sequel might do the same. Surprisingly, it was able to juxtapose each of the major character's arc. The young Professor X and Mystique remain the most intriguing among, the script doesn't always give enough detail to it, but their actors bring the gravity they deserve. The action, once again, is pretty well done. Besides of the future scenes, it provides more than just explosions. There is a real direction going on to these sequences and the camera perfectly shows its every action which makes it totally entertaining.

X-Men: Days of Future Past stands as perfect as a fan service. What exactly matters in this installment is to erase what was messed up by the last few movies by taking the concept of time-travel, butterfly effect, etc. The whole film is still too burdened by the past which sometimes hinders the plot, it would have been a much compelling movie if it goes deeper within its intriguing subtext. In the end, the film still succeeds in their goal, and it is a simple one which comic book fans will definitely appreciate. Therefore congratulations, this sequel just saved this franchise's future.
14 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very disappointed
sparksnkent30 May 2014
Let me first say I'm not a comic book fan, so I can't approach my review from that direction. But I did like the X Men movies (except for First Class), mostly because I loved the Wolverine. My favorite was The Wolverine, which I considered to be an excellent character study that made mutants feel believable in the real world- something which the X Men films lacked with their funny suits and spaceships. This movie, however, disappointed me greatly. I left the theater in a state of uncertainty and confusion, and with time to think about it, I realized why I didn't like it.

First, Wolverine was a plot device and as a result seemed very out of character here. He barely did anything Wolvy would really do in most situations. There was no fight scene, no memorable lines- and assaulting men with a cast iron skillet? Really? His emotions were short changed at the end upon seeing Jean gray alive- but then all the characters emotional reactions seemed to resolve themselves at a rapid rate, so much so that their internal struggles felt unreal and unsympathetic.

The beginning of the movie was a traditional X Men opening, which excited me at first. But I couldn't feel anything for some of the mutants fighting for their lives like Blink and Sunspot and Bishop, when I didn't even know who they were personally- character development is not simply a display of power. The movie went south once Trask was introduced as experimenting on mutants. Wasn't that done before? And Stryker's reasons for experimentation were much more compelling. There was material reused from previous X Men films. I couldn't believe the scene with Mystique in Trask's office looking through files with a secretary coming up the stairs. This was along the same lines as the scene in X2 when she finds the files on cerebro- then quickly shape shifts before being discovered. However, the scene in X2 was much more suspenseful. And Magneto lifts a sports stadium and drops in around the White House. Not sure what that was for but a big CGI display. And folks railed against the Golden Gate Bridge destruction in the Last Stand, but at least that was to get to the island on the other side. And the sentinels- they looked liked big Iron Men...

There is so much more I could address- like the use of Mystique's blood- that did not make sense. The acting was terrible among the younger cast, but J Lawrence took the cake. Every time she said a line it was painful- I thought the original Mystique was so much better. James McAvoy was OK, but every time Xavier had a conflict, he just as quickly recovered so the story could continue on. The drama oftentimes felt rushed.

The director couldn't seem to settle on where to put the camera on the action scenes, which made the stories execution and terrible script seem worse. The best part of the movie was Wolvy,s fight with Beast, and a couple of ideas that could have been so awesome- like the older Magneto reaching out to Charles in the future setting near the end. Once again, the emotions were rushed and improperly shot. It felt as if the entire film was over shot and then sloppily edited. The script was awful and there were no memorable lines.

The screenwriter did say the script was intended as a goodbye to the original cast. But what an awful way to say goodbye to all of them- especially Wolvy, who looked like a sissy in this film.

The teen film seems to reign in theaters today. The younger you are, the better. It used to be that middle aged stars could carry films for years- think Harrison Ford and Clint Eastwood. But now being in one's forties is just to old, so you have to be recast and written out. The only reason I went to see this movie was Wolvy and the original cast. It's sad to see X Men so mistreated and wiped aside for a younger cast that just can't deliver the emotions or the setting half as good.
29 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a simply gorgeous film
cajohn0067 September 2014
This is what the comic book film genre was supposed to be. Fast-paced, intense, character-driven - all of that, but with HEART. What a work of art, Marvel. Please don't take us for granted like you did in the early 2000's. Keep it true. Keep it fun. That's all you have to do. And you did it here. THANK YOU. And how can you not love the easter eggs everywhere in these films. Wonderful hat-tips to the comics.

But that cast....this series set the bar wonderfully high for subsequent Marvel movies. Michael Fassbender & James McAvoy might be the greatest actors in a Marvel film. Good GOD. Perfect ambassadors for the X-Men series for years to come.

And uh......can we see Deadpool done right? :) Beggars & choosers, I know! PEACE!
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Should've been titled: X-Men days of future plot holes!
Eightiesjunkie10 November 2014
(Spoiler Warning) I'm really scratching my head on this one guys, this movie's been hailed as "The best x-men movie ever!" I'm sorry, but I REALLY have to disagree on this one. Before I state all the reasons why I hated this movie, let me start off with two positive comments: Hugh Jackman is still good as Wolverine, and the character of Quicksilver, was pretty cool. Now for the numerous reasons as to why I hated this film. So we start off looking at a destroyed, post apocalyptic, landscape that looks like it was ripped off from the first two Terminator movies. We then get some narration from Charles Xavier. He explains that most of the mutant population has been enslaved or killed by these killer machines known as sentinels. Then we see a small group of mutants who are both hiding, and trying to fight the sentinels. Xavier tells them that the only chance for the mutant race to survive, is to go back in time to try to prevent the assassination of a government scientist, which in turn prevents the deployment of the sentinels. So Wolverine is sent back through time, and must prevent fellow mutant Mystique, from doing the deed. You would think that a plot involving time travel would be intriguing and interesting right? Well not in this movie! There's almost no action, The actors are bland, and you couldn't care less for any of the characters! That's only the tip of the iceberg folks! What really kills it is the fact the the plot has more holes in it than a slice of Swiss cheese! Before I talk about that though, let me back up a bit. When "X-men first class" came out, I thought to myself: Okay cool, they're rebooting the x-men franchise and making a whole new series." Turns out they weren't, the only reason why "X-Men first class was made, was so that they could create a whole new continuity that they could smash together with the old continuity. The result of this, is a clusterf*cked mess! This film won't leave you feeling good or entertained, it will only leave you with a head full of questions. Such as these: Why is Xavier alive in the future, when we clearly saw him being killed by the phoenix in part 3? Why does Wolverine have bone claws in the past, but metal claws in the future? Why does Xavier claim to have known Mystique since she was a child, when there was no indication of that in the original films? Why does Wolverine claim that in the future he and Hank McCoy (Beast) are friends when there was no previous indication of that? In the climax of the film, the sentinels have already been built. Even though they succeed in their mission, what's there to stop someone else from using them? How does Wolverine survive for so long underwater? Did Mystique perform the adamantium experiments on Wolverine? Why and how are Cyclops and Jean Grey alive again at the end? This movie doesn't even so much as attempt to answer any of the questions that it leaves the viewer with! Frankly, it would be easier to solve a Rubik's cube on LSD than it would be be to figure this movie out! So far, I've never been impressed with ANY of the X-men films. 1 and 2 were lame, 3 was garbage, and this one was even worse! I'm done with this franchise! I don't care what they do with the next film, I've put up with all the incompetence I can take! From now on, it's just the x-men comics and cartoons for me. Sorry 20th century fox, but you guys blew it!
18 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best X Men Movie Yet With A Scene Stealing Quicksilver
terrywdhs20 May 2014
Easily the best X Men film yet with a storyline that requires you to think whilst marvelling at the amazing special effects and action scenes taking place before your eyes. James McAvoy puts in a superb performance as an embittered Professor X and there are great performances from Hugh Jackman and Michael Fassbender in their respective roles as Wolverine and Magneto but the person everyone is going to be talking about is a new mutant to the series called Quicksilver played superbly with the right amount of arrogance and likability by Evan Peters. His huge action scene where he is required to rescue an imprisoned Magneto from a heavily guarded Pentagon is an absolute delight and already a contender of most amazing action scene of the year and I cant see anything beating it. Trust me - you will want to watch this scene again and again as there is so much to marvel at. Pity that Quicksilver is absent after this as the film does sorely miss the character. Hoping to see more of him in the future. The film does have a great climax though featuring a highly inventive use of a football stadium and a post credits scene with a hint of what to expect in the next movie. All in all a great movie that is going to delight and entertain young and old alike.
34 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.