The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014) Poster

1,197 Reviews
A Hero without Principles
tinulthin10 May 2014
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 has technical merits. However, these merits are impossible to enjoy in a film drowned from beginning to end in the sickening narcissism of both its purported hero and supposedly tragic villains.

I give you The Amazing Spider-Man: a hero with no principles and no goals. He sometimes cares about a girl and sometimes wants to know what happened to his parents, but day-to-day he really only cares about doing what he wants to do--which happens to be helping people, it seems, because it gives them "hope." And what luck! He gives them this just by being himself. Not by being a better person. Not by sacrificing anything else in his life for the greater good. Just by being strong and smart and doing exactly what he feels like doing because that's how he feels. And look: by being himself, other people want to be like him. What a wonderful message for a self-obsessed age. And watching the box office dollars roll in, it would seem that this is just what everyone wants to hear.

Ah, but lovable doe-eyed Petey gives up Gwen for the greater good, right? No he doesn't. He gives her up because he can't face the guilt of having contributed to her father's death--his guilt, and his unquestioned inability to give up being a famous public figure, lead to his need to break up (And his principled stand on this issue is so strong that he will renege on it whenever he feels randy). We never see Peter torn between helping people and helping himself. We see him torn between two paths to self-gratification: the adulation of public heroism (and public vilification, which is a kind of adulation) and the love of a single woman. What about Aunt May? No, not her--she's just in the way of Spidey laundry.

This is the major problem with the reboot: The overshadowing death isn't Uncle Ben's. It's Captain Stacy's. And Captain Stacy didn't die because Peter was self-absorbed. Captain Stacy died because Peter existed. So the standard for Peter being a good person or bad person has nothing to do with his character--it has only to do with his presence. During an over-the-top car chase in the first act, rather than stop a massive truck from smashing through a set of cars (which Sam Raimi has shown us he could have done, assuming equivalence between a truck and a train), Spidey ducks out of the way only to come back after the carnage. This is a hero who says, "I'm here for you--until it's inconvenient for me, then you're on your own."

The long and short of it is that this Spider-Man is in no way heroic. Superheroes are heroic because, while they could decide that they are unconcerned with our struggles, they still feel a moral obligation to help the average Joe. This Spider-Man seems to feel obliged to help only because, as someone superior to everyone else, the world's problems must naturally fall on his shoulders. Not because someone died due to his inaction--because he's exceptional. And helping inferior people is what exceptional people do. Sometimes. When they're not busy dealing with exceptional-person stuff. Like obsessing about parents who unjustly abandoned them while feeling no responsibility whatsoever for the uncle they themselves abandoned.

Add to this a pair of villains who go from being apparently well-meaning if somewhat imbalanced individuals to homicidal maniacs due to a single rejection episode, and you have a two-hour cesspool of poorly justified destructive self-obsession.

Electro could have been a tragic Frankenstein villain. Instead, because a group of random people roots for Spider-Man over him in his first public appearance, he decides everyone should die. Yup--that's his motivation. You don't love me because I'm me? Well, I'll kill you all. Thank you, Columbine.

Harry's the same. After a five-minute meeting in which Spider-Man refuses give him his blood--which he truly believes, based on a single night's research on a single computer file, is the only thing that can save him from a horrible death that won't happen for another 40 years--Harry decides that Spider-Man needs to die right now. And everyone who dies in the process of saving his own old-age skin is perfectly okay. This despite Harry having been Peter's best friend only 48 hours before--though not because they have a long history together, but because they talked for a few hours and remembered how they were friends eight years ago. And it's not like either of them developed any other close relationships over their entire time in high school and college. (Let that be the only mention I will make of this film's preposterous set of causes and effects--and its Attack-of-the-Clones-inspired need to intellectually dictate emotional importance rather than meaningfully display it.)

The original Spider-Man had a single moment of narcissism. Count 'em: one. Only once did Peter Parker step up for glory, himself, and his own objectives, and he immediately paid for it with the death of one of the only three people he loved. This new Peter Parker steps up for himself every day as a part of his playground vision of a hero, and not a single screenwriter or billion-dollar audience member seems to care. This Spider-Man says the world should glorify you for being you, and if that doesn't happen, it's the world that needs to change, not you. And that is what truly terrifies me.
450 out of 667 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Seriously underrated
lincolnpjones22 May 2014
I really don't understand the hatred this movie gets. Let me start out by saying that I'm not really a Spiderman fan. My experience of Spidey came from the awesome PS1 Spiderman games, the 1994 Spiderman animated series and the Raimi movies. With that being said, Rise of Electro is one of the best superhero movies I've ever seen. I'd put it up there with Winter Soldier, the First Avenger, Blade and even the Raimi Spider-Man films.

Andrew Garfield does a pretty good performance as Spidey, balancing emotion with excellent comedic timing. Emma Stone is wonderful as Gwen Stacy. Jamie Foxx is an excellent and quite sympathetic villain, even if he is pushed to the sidelines a little by Harry Osborn. The movie actually makes you care for all the characters, even Harry Osborn. And I'd be lying if I said Gwen's death didn't knock me on my ass, because of how shockingly gruesome it is for a PG-13 movie and because I would've thought they'd let her live.

I really liked what they did with the source material, updating concepts like The Rhino and Electro without taking out too much. Plus, I genuinely feel that this movie pulls off the 'hero rises from the ashes' storyline much better than Dark Knight Rises.

Is it perfect? No. But is it a good superhero movie? Hell yeah, it is.
103 out of 149 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Too much, too unbalanced and a waste of talent
MartinOnMovies25 April 2014
I can't say I went in to the theater with high hopes. I did enjoy the first installment of this unnecessary reboot, almost anything seemed like a step up from "Spiderman 3", and Garfield felt way more natural than Maguire, and Emma Stone is always welcome. But after seeing the first trailer I thought it seemed like a total mess, and I wasn't convinced by Electro one bit. Unfortunately I was spot on, I hoped to at least get an enjoyable time at the cinema with my friends, but ended up feeling quite uncomfortable and laughing throughout most of the film.

Garfield and Stone has their chemistry and does their best with the incredibly thin script and cheesy one-liners, but their potential quite beautiful scenes together gets lost in the over-full and messy plot. I can't buy an emotional scene that is interrupted by heavy dub-step and a blue electric guy.

Oh Jamie Foxx, how did you go from Django to this? Before he goes all CGI-Electro he tries to play the nerdy unseen scientist (with a worse comb-over than Christian Bale's 'Hustle'-look). As Electro it's hard to say how much is his fault, and what can be blamed on the rest, I'd go with the rest. You don't sympathize with him nor do you believe how fast he becomes this super-villain.

Everything that Dane DeHaan did so well in "Chronicle" just feels unnatural and (maybe not misplaced, but wrong) here. And his character development is way too rushed and quite unnecessary for this film, it just becomes another sub-plot standing in the way of what really matters.

Sally Field does good work as Aunt May, but leaves no lasting mark. Paul Giamatti's Russian criminal is just in the way and only gives a couple of dreadful and laughable scenes. And then there's the mad German scientist named Kafka and I rest my case.

The action and visuals isn't bad, but still doesn't make up for the low "trying to be Marvel"-comedy and horrific soundtrack, a soundtrack that almost itself destroys the film throughout the exhausting 142 minutes. And sometimes it feels like the movie is taking us as an audience to be stupid, with pointers to what is going to happen. I would like to say that you might enjoy it if you just try and see it for what it is, but it's hard, but hopefully possible! It had an interesting start, with a glimpse inside the past and Peter's parents, but it's left underdeveloped, as is almost everything else, to make room for all its action and villains.

It's amazing how the difference between two big-budget superhero-movies can be so huge, if you put this against "Captain America: The Winter Soldier", a great and, opposed to this one, original film.

Oh how I wish that Marc Webb could have continued with a "(500) Days of Summer"-esque movie instead, he could keep the sub-plots starring Garfield, Stone and DeHaan, and it could very well be a great film, and probably not such a waste of talent.
641 out of 1,031 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Enjoyable Film
wileyb957116 August 2014
SPOILERS!!! DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE FILM! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!!! I have Never really critiqued film before but I have seen really nothing but terrible reviews for this movie and I thought that I would do it a Solid and give it a good review. Yes it does have its flaws and a lot of them, you can't just focus on its flaws because if you watch a movie for the flaws, then what is the point of watching that certain movie? Because I could not tell you that answer.

You can do this movie a solid with the Chemistry between Gwen and Peter, which I think is a ton better than Tobey Maguire and Kristen Dunst's Chemistry, In all honesty I never really cared for the original trilogy, Well the second one is good. Third is atrocious. But anyway.

The acting is halfway decent in this film, Dialogue is terrible at points but I can forgive that. Because of the such fun time I had in the theaters.

Downs of The Film: 1.) Jamie Foxx's characters dialog was complete Ass. 2.) Harry is not the goblin or shouldn't be the goblin but they waste potential with Chris Coopers acting capability with that one scene. 3.) They Kill Gwen. Look I knew that they were gonna kill her because I frequently read the comics and read the particular comic at which I was not disappointed in. But when they put it into film it sucked terribly I wanted to punch the screen. One it happened on a bridge not in the clock tower. PS: if you have seen the trailer it does spoil you by literally showing you that Gwen Is dead! I'm pretty sure that Aunt May didn't fall down the clock tower. 4.) They use Paul for literally 6 to 7 minutes through this film. Which I don't Get, why not just put him in the Sequel or introduce him in the "Sinister Six" Film that will be released when the 3rd installment was supposed to come out. 5.) No ending credits scene. With all of marvels films there's either a scene thats after the credits, such as, The Avengers, X-men franchise. There isn't a ending scene on this film or there was originally one at which they cut out. I would have rather gotten nothing than the X-men Days of Future Past Scene (Great Flick) Ups of the Film: 1.) Great popcorn fun. 2.) The Humor Works in my book. 3.) I thought this was the best roll Andrew Garfield has ever taken. its a great movie all and all. 4.) The ending Scene I thought was okay, it had moments, but in terms of a fight scene you really didn't get much as a viewer. 5.) Hans Zimmer's score of the film was magnificent. 6.) It made me leave the theater with a smile on my face and I am ready for the next two sequels.
60 out of 91 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than what I thought, but not as wonderful as possible.
verndougall18 May 2014
I went into this movie not knowing what to expect, only assuming the commercials had been far to revealing. Anyways...safe to say that assumption wasn't very far off. Anyways, now to speak of this in a more revealing light.

Fascinating visuals, wonderful eye opening colors. It felt almost like a comic book jumping onto the page. The portrayal of Peter Parker and Gwen Stacy were amazing. Needless to say there's a connection felt between them. However rocky it forms most of the movie though. this isn't much of a qualm, but it was one of the more enjoyable elements. Now, onto something a little distasteful. The villains as they were developing had me hooked. Drawn into them (At least the ones shown mostly,only spoiler here). One character in this is shown to be around more in the commercials, it was more an illusion. You hope for more and it comes up short. The villains when they fully descended failed to keep what was making them enjoyable before the transition.

Anyways, I hope you find this insightful. Through less of a bias side (Love Spider-man). I'd give this movie around more of a 7, or 6.7, give or take between them. Go see it and see what you think, it's worth the ticket.
59 out of 92 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great, Lived up to "The Amazing"
marcossam201113 May 2014
Strong movie, strong plot, excellent action, Andrew Garfield is an amazing Peter Parker and a more amazing Spider-man with his jokes. Still, the villains' development is too much fast, with no persuasive reasons to take down the Spidey. Furthermore, my favorite scene it's the one Peter fights Green Goblin on the tower, then try to saves Gwen by throwing the web, which in slow motion and forming a hand's shape was completely amazing. Her death was sad, but epic, very well developed and adequate. Also, the Rhino appearance in the end wasn't so amazing, leaving curiosity for the next movie, and this is a fact that I don't like: the understanding that will have a next movie, even we knowing that will have.
64 out of 101 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
electro is 💩
stewartcarl19 January 2021
Using jamie fox as electro,is an insult to electro
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Spider-Man more on his plate than he can handle in this sequel
JohnnyPHreak28 July 2014
I'm an unabashed die hard fan boy for Spider-Man. There I said it. You can call me a homer for anything Spider-Man. I wasn't a happy camper when I heard they were rebooting the films that I fell in love with. The first two Raimi films for me were great. The sequel still holding up today as one of the best superhero movies of all time. The first Amazing Spider-Man was a bit jarring for me. I walked out of the film not knowing what I thought about it. I enjoyed Andrew Garfield's Spider-Man but his Peter Parker didn't click with me. I also had some nit picky things about the film as a whole (Gwen instead of Mary Jane, lackluster villain). But watching the film a few more times I realized that I liked it.

I do research on films that I'm excited for. This film came out weeks earlier in the UK and Europe. And the reviews were mixed which was sinking my high hopes. I didn't like the fact that there were three villains (More on that later). But it seemed like they were choosing the right actors for parts and surrounding the film in talent. After much heart and headache reading people thoughts and reviews for me, I'm okay with saying I liked much of this second Spider-Man film.

Andrew Garfield is Spider-Man and it seems he's embraced the part much more this time than in the first film. His Spider-Man is having fun being the savior of the city. He's making the quips, the jokes and the all around energy of his Spider-Man feels directly out of the comic book. I am finally sold on his Peter Parker. Director Marc Webb finally lets the smart but dorky Parker shine in a few scenes that are hilarious and engaging.

I'm still not an Emma Stone fan but she is a good counter to Garfield's Parker. They have excellent chemistry. You can tell that these may be Webb's favorite scenes to shoot. When they are on screen this huge summer tent pole film because a small drama about two people with a unique love story.

The villains, there are three of them but not really. Let me explain. Rhino played basically as a cameo by Paul Giamatti is really only on screen to show Spider-Man in action at the beginning and end of the film. His main adversaries are Jamie Foxx's Electro who starts off as a man who is saved by Spider-Man. He then becomes a obsessed fan only to in perfect comic book fashion have a horrible accident that grants him superpowers. Foxx is okay, I wouldn't say he is awful. He has some good moments and contrary to what has been written I think he only has one cringe worthy line.

Dane DeHaan is one of if not my favorite actor working this moment. His method style works so well in many of the films he's in and here it's perfect. His Harry Osborn is less cartoon-y than James Franco's from previous films. He's creepy, spoiled, arrogant but dealt with a lot of adversity. His chemistry with Garfield feels genuine. It doesn't feel forced like it could have been. They are long time friends who have been distant but because of new circumstances are forced back together.

The action is fun, fast and so Spider-Man if that means anything. The way they use his spider sense was very cool. I want to see more of that. The small nods to the comic book are fantastic. There are nods here and there to the upcoming sinister six film which doesn't cloud the film. It's just there in the story that this is apart of a large story in the future. I was trying to count the nods to the comic books. The only issues I had with the film was Peter's search for what happen to his father was kind of just there to fill time. Also the great Sally Field as Aunt May got only a few scenes. She was great on screen but mostly wasted.

Because this film is dividing fans I think I've pinpointed the problem. I'm a fan of the comic books and this film feel like a few issues of the comic books aka a mini-series. There are multiple stories, with multiple villains and a lot going on. I'm okay with the finally product and eager to see the film again. For Garfield's performance, the chemistry with Stone and the action scenes this film is a fun ride for any fan of the neighborhood web shooter.
54 out of 88 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Reason for Hope
hunterhayes4912 May 2014
I was a pretty big fan of Raimi's original series when they were released, and the first two films still hold high among my favorite superhero movies. When the reboot was announced I was naturally skeptical; despite Spider-Man 3 and its flaws, I had confidence that Raimi could right the ship. Deep into production I began seeing trailers and clips from ASM, and it gave me some hope. After seeing the film in its entirety, I became a big fan. The story was similar to most origin takes on Spider-Man, but with some small changes to try and separate itself from the original film trilogy. Admittedly, a few of those decisions might've been less than stellar, but Raimi's version nailed the origin and that was hard to top for the new film. With the tale of how the hero came to be out of the way, the sequel could really decide where this series was going to go. It seems to be an exciting direction.

I was skeptical when the cast was announced and we met our new Spider-Man, which is a feeling I no longer have. Don't get me wrong, I thought Tobey Maguire played a great Peter Parker. For my money, he was a solid Spider-Man as well. But Garfield feels truly at home in the role. It isn't to say one performance is more accurate to the comic Spidey than the other; with as many different takes on the character as we have seen in comic book lore, both performances reflect different qualities in different versions of the character. However, Garfield's Spider-Man feels like the version of the character I grew up with. He's humble and soft-spoken at the right times and confident in others. I thought his performance in this film was one of the more defining performances of any Marvel film character alongside Downey Jr.'s Tony Stark.

Spidey's love interest, Gwen Stacy, is portrayed perfectly in not only this film, but in the first as well. I've been a fan of Emma Stone since she hit with Superbad, and she really gives Gwen some life. Her dynamic with Garfield is surprisingly one of the strongest portions of the film. They have such great chemistry that it's impossible not to feel like you're in the moment with them, and Marc Webb knows it. Dane DeHaan shines as well, giving Harry a unique sense of frustration and abandonment. He's dark and brooding, but also sly and cunning when necessary. Jamie Foxx holds well in the film as well. Admittedly the Electro/Max Dillon character is goofy and strange, but I like his motivation. In a world of so many it's easy to feel neglected, and it's clear he has a lot of problems that motivate his transition from bumbling Max to the powerful Electro.

As far as the plot is concerned, there is a lot going on. However, I felt this film did a markedly improved job on balancing the numerous subplots. I never felt as if the characters were fighting for screen time or that any of the plot points were necessarily rushed. Between Peter's parents and his love life and the growing problems arising from Oscorp, it would seem like there's too much happening. But Webb never lets the story lines stray too far before reeling them back in; each plot point directly connects to the finale and ultimate message of the film: Hope. Peter often tells others Spider-Man gives those around him hope, but the ultimate test of the film is how well Peter Parker can maintain that hope himself. Indeed being a hero has a cost, which results in one of the most powerful comic book moments in history coming to fruition on the big screen. Gwen's death is the turning point for our titular character, and one that will certainly drive his actions in future installments.

Ultimately, ASM2 is an ambitious film that does attempt to do a lot in just one film. However, Marc Webb keeps the story moving with enough confidence to tie the plot points together in one swift finale that will change Spider-Man forever. Amazing Spider-Man 2 ****1/2
53 out of 87 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
OK, let's talk about HOPE.. Warning: Spoilers
.... and, to be fair, this was not my idea but the screenwriter's, since the last few minutes of the film reveal that this was a topic very much on his mind when he penned this script.

OK OK, I get that the transition from comic book (graphic novel) to feature film is not easy, but art never is, really. And it has been done successfully. Look at Superman 2 with Chris Reeves. Look at Spiderman 2 with Toby MaGuire. More recently look at Superman Returns (flawed but still brilliant in parts) and even more recently than that, Captain America 2.

What do all these films have in common? Humanity. Hope. Decency. That difficult blending of superpowers with those same quirks and oddities which make us human.

What they lack -- every film above-named lacks -- is brutality for its own sake, gratuitous violence directed against the star (and, by analogy, the viewing audience) just to make them feel the pain.

Yet, astonishingly, this trend is becoming the "new normal" in superhero films and no one seems to care, the fans just keep lapping it up. MAN OF STEEL was an abomination, as if the intent was to see how many office buildings you can bang to bits with Superman's head. Ditto Thor 2, ditto The Wolverine (borders on torture porn, that one); and finally, this "re-imagining" of Spidey where everything that can possibly go wrong in his day ... does go wrong. Including saving his gf.

Is this entertainment?

Seriously. C'mon folks, wake up and smell the stupid before all superhero films end up like this.
103 out of 181 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good but there are minuses
metinbarissonmez26 April 2014
When I watched the trailer my expectations is much higher but after I watch the movie it didn't satisfy my all expectations. Of course it can't satisfy everybody's all expectations at the same time.

The film is generally very good. In the way of Electro's creation is very good, Green Goblin could be better. Harry did very less research about secret projects it didn't mention there it can heal the body. Also spider venom effect Harry very fast. It start to effect Peter in a day or less but effect Harry like 10 seconds. Also slow motions are perfect and it happened the time it should be. Fight with Electro and special effects were very good. It is good to see what happened to Peter's family. Gwen's death was shocked me. I don't understand how she die. Is her back broken or is she hit the ground before Peter catch her. Anyway ın my opinion she shouldn't be dead in this movie maybe she can die in next movie or in the next movie she can go somewhere else and leave Peter. If it is go like that next movie Aunt May is going to die. Comedy is good somewhere but somewhere it is unnecessary. Rhino's type is little different maybe because I saw it only in Spider-Man cartoon. End credit scene could be about next Spider-Man movie.It was unnecessary to add a scene about X-men.

There are minuses but the pluses is more than that I suggest anyone to see that film and it is far better than first movie.
50 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Amazing Spider Man 2
iconic-sr13 September 2014
Initial Review: The Amazing Spider Man 2 is definitely one of the best movies of the year! I also believe that it is the best Spider Man film to date. Marc Webb masterfully fuses action, romance and comedy into a film that is fun and moving for everyone.

The Positives: I liked the first "Amazing" that was released, but there were some problems I had with it. I think this film took these challenges head on. I felt like there wasn't much fighting in the first movie, but this was vastly improved. The romance was top-notch much like the first film, and the special effects went above my expectations. *(Spoiler)* I may be hated for this, but I thought it was a good move to kill off Gwen Stacy this go around for two reasons: it needed to follow the comics and it set a much darker tone for the rest of the franchise (which will be needed for future films like "Venom Carnage" and "The Sinister Six." Towards the middle of the movie I was really getting the vibe that this was mostly a kid-directed movie, but the death of Gwen brought it back to the tragic feeling of Spider Man that was so popular in the comics (God I'm going to miss her). I really enjoyed the villains which added to the fun of the movie.

The Negatives: Now this film wasn't all roses but it was exceptional. One problem I had was the little screen time provided for the Green Goblin (after transformation) and the Rhino. Critics often referred to the film as having three villains, but it really felt like one with two side battles to tease the next film. The character who dons the rhino suit has all but 12 minutes and the Green Goblin (once again, after transformation has like six minutes of screen time (approximately). However, I do agree with the critics that the back story for Harry Osborn felt awkward, and there was one two many story lines running through this movie.

Conclusion: I gave this movie 9 out of 10, due to the facts that it has so many positive aspects and with minimal negative issues (that are really more of a nuisance than anything else. I highly recommend this film for everyone.
59 out of 101 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved It!
jessie-lou-68-44464731 July 2014
I know there have been so many bad reviews of this movie, but I found it to be a wonderful movie. The thing I love the most about this Spider-Man series is that it isn't afraid to deal with the emotional aspects of the Spider-Man series. Anyway, I will rate each aspect of the movie below.

1) Andrew Garfield: I find Mr. Garfield to be a wonderful Spider-Man. He grasps the cockiness and nerdiness that matches the comics well. He was great in this movie, carrying the emotional and action scenes like a pro.

2) Peter Parker and Gwen Stacy: I absolutely love Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone as Peter Parker and Gwen Stacey. Their chemistry is so real (love that they're together in real life), and the scenes between the two of them are my favorite. They are what make this Spider-Man series so special.

3) Villains: I did feel that although the villains in this movie were played well, that there were too many. Jamie Foxx played a good Electro, and Dane DeHann was a creepy Green Goblin. But, I found some of the fights scenes long. Overall, villains were played well.

4) Soundtrack: The soundtrack was OK. I was disappointed that James Horner didn't return to score this one, but Mr. Zimmer did an OK job. Some of it sounded too dub-steppy and I just found it a little too loud.

5) *major spoiler* Gwen's Death: I knew it was coming, but I still cried my eyes out. I cried for a solid 15 minutes. From how aggravatingly close Peter was to saving her, to his hauntingly realistic reaction to her death, it was heartbreaking. I am still in mourning.

6) Other things I loved about this movie: the costumes, some of the sarcastic Peter Parker humor, the adorable Peter-Gwen pictures hanging in Peter's room, and finally getting an explanation as to why Peter's parents died.

I was sad that it didn't get better reviews, because I loved it. Spider-Man is my favorite superhero, and even though I thought the ending was heartbreaking, I will definitely come see the next Amazing Spider-Man.
52 out of 89 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
spidey 2 - surprisingly good.
dale717111 April 2014
Being not a fan of the spiderman movies - for me aimed at at kids and teenagers of which i am not - I found this movie to be a bit of an unexpected treat.

Viewed it last night at a 3d preview in edinburgh and what i worried might be a bum numbing 2 and a half hours actually flew by.

Don't want to give any spoilers or ruin any story but the whole pace of this film is much tighter than previous efforts and the tone can be quite dark at times. There is of course love interest but this added to the story and I actually bought into it and found myself caring for the characters, no mean feat for a cynic like me. Thankfully it didn't come across all teen/twilighty which seems to be the norm these days.

The villains are very good, Dane DeHaan in particular is exceptional (is it me or does he remind you of a young Leo di Caprio?) and gives a fantastically unnerving performance - big things beckon for him no mistake.

If you liked the previous Spiderman movies you'll still love this, If you didn't put any misgivings aside and give it a whirl (as i did). Either way definitely go and see this film, words I never thought I'd utter about a Spiderman movie. You Won't be disappointed.

As I said - no plot details and no spoilers, just an honest opinion of my film experience.
339 out of 659 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A really, really good film
themorar9516 April 2014
I personally thought this was an excellent film. It had a good amount of comedy, truly deep emotions, and brilliant action. A great, cohesive film to lead on from the first one.

The relationship between the two main characters are brilliant, and you can really understand what's going on between them as both actors portray their characters very well.

Also, what I like from these movies are that they are more relative to the Spider-man comic books, compared to the Spider-man Trilogy (and let's be honest, they were terrible.) If you have read the comic books, then you'll understand where I'm coming from when you see this movie.

The only downside/s I feel this movie has is that Jamie Foxx, in my opinion, doesn't really fit his character and I felt that he didn't really have a massive say in the whole film, it was more about the other villain - but what I did like is that having two villains didn't make it feel like there was too much going on; it was very understandable and a pleasurable viewing experience, so the director receives points in my book for his story telling.

This review is really brief as I don't want to sway your opinion on the film before you've watched it, but rather to change your opinion on whether you should watch it, and I believe that you definitely should.
284 out of 555 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Spider Man movie!
daniell san24 April 2014
First off, I'd like to say that I really did not like the first Amazing Spider-Man, so my expectations were really low coming in to part 2. I was pleasantly surprised by it though. This movie has action, comedy and drama in a perfect balance. I was worried that there would be too many bad guys in this movie, but they did it just right. If I had one complaint, it would be that Harry Osborne's transition to the Green Goblin could have been done differently, it felt a bit rushed to me, but the rest of the movie makes up for it. Another highlight for me was the soundtrack and score of the movie. The music when Electro is in Times Square is amazingly well done.

Overall I liked this movie a lot because it really felt like the Spider-Man I knew from the comics.

There was a mid credits scene of the X-Men: Days of Future Past movie, but I really didn't like that scene.
40 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Intense, charming and electric
kunalkhandwala13 May 2014
Great power doesn't just come with great responsibility but also at a great cost. Heroes deal with their painful pasts and yet rise to face the evil that can threaten the present day. It is their ability to overcome those personal battles in times when darkness looms over society, that makes them superheroes. In the follow-up to the reboot of Raimi's Spiderman trilogy, director Marc Webb (!) massively improvises upon the story's technological rendering and the human element of it that delineates the challenges of being a superhero for an ordinary man. Peter Parker's ability to overcome his fears, his childhood loss, his financial instability and relationship's complication is what really makes him the Amazing Spiderman and in its 2nd installment, his portrayal by Andrew Garfield outclasses any prior attempt. At the burden-heavy core of his responsibility web is Emma Stone's charming Gwen Stacy who is perhaps the most lovable superhero girlfriend yet.

As Spiderman busies himself with crime prevention in the city, thus gaining popularity among its citizens, Peter Parker's personal struggles mount. Devoting time for his girlfriend and being there for her big moments is one challenge but visions of her deceased father warning him to keep her out of his harm's way is a decision that is taken by his destiny and not him. Meanwhile, Harry Osborne (Dan DeHaan) returns to his ailing father's death-bed to take over a device containing his life's work and his empire of OsCorp. The same illness however is detected in Harry and his only solution to a cure is blood transfusion from Spiderman. The hero's woes aren't over just yet. In a freak accident in a lab, Max Dillon (Jamie Foxx) is submerged in a tank of genetically modified Eels that mutate him into 'Electro' – a living electric station that has the power to cause a massive blackout and use that energy against Spiderman. Parker soon realizes that all of his challenges have OsCorp in common and it is his father's hidden video feed that clarifies Norman Osborn's true intentions about the biogenetic projects. Spiderman must now face all his demons, take high volts of electricity thrown at him by Electro, combat the wrath of the goblin-glide rider Harry Osborn and keep Gwen away from imminent danger. A hero's strength will become his weakness and he will pay a price to be the savior of the city that he must protect.

The action is frenetic at times and draws parallels with 'Man of Steel' where each sequence isn't elaborately explained but is delivered in its intense form directly. We all know the powers of Spiderman so the director doesn't waste time in how he goes about the action. The swinging scenes are better than ever at engaging the audience, the action is bigger and Spiderman's powers seem enhanced. The special effects truly come into play when portraying the destruction by Electro and yet, they simply aid the story and characters. The plot balances well between being a Superhero's struggle story and an all-out action duel.

Dane DeHaan plays a sinister Harry Osborn with evil emanating from his expressions. Jamie Foxx 's innocent Max Dillon is then transformed into the CGI version that is Electro and Foxx is excellent in his powerful villain's character. As secrets that are buried in the past are revealed, Peter understands his purpose better and overcomes his challenges. Garfield's quirkiness works in his friendship with Harry, his vulnerability works with Aunt May and his ambivalence works with Gwen. In an all round performance, Garfield manages to out-swing The Amazing Spiderman's curse of being the 5th movie about the superhero in 12 years. Emma Stone's Gwen Stacy is the reason this film stands out beyond all the action and effects. Her charming portrayal of the young, ambitious and intelligent individual is such a far cry from Kirsten Dunst's Mary Jane. Peter's fears raise complications between them while Gwen's confidence and charm bring them closer. The scene when they establish 'ground rules' after a break up can just make one fall in love with her as Peter did. Gwen's science degree makes her more of an understanding partner rather than just a romantic one and such chemistry makes them the best couple in a superhero film.

Faced with an enemy far superior in powers, a complicated relationship shrouded in fear and a past remembered for its losses, the friendly neighborhood Spiderman must rise to live up to a role that every superhero embraces. Through the dark days that took over the city and through days he felt alone, what made our hero 'The Amazing Spiderman' was his ability to give hope to people...... and of course, how he can free fall from the tallest building's top and make us spend all that money on its 3D effect.

• 8.234 on a scale of 1-10.
26 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A well balanced Spidey-film that displays the true issues in Peter's life!
beirowskiju-886-12067220 August 2014
Spider-man comics and movies aren't just about the hero, but they are about the daily struggles that Peter Parker must confront and balance. In the 2nd Amazing Spider-Man film, Andrew Garfield is back at his game at being that Spider-man who is cocky, ignorant, and full of humor, but yet I am pleased to say that he still has that brilliance to make you fall into the shoes of Peter Parker and make you feel like you are still keeping things together as the world is falling apart around you.

When watching this film you will experience an emotional roller coaster that will have you hoping for the best to come out! Kudos to Marc Webb for balancing the villains and supplying the audience with just enough background story to understand their history AND for keeping that rich love story between Peter & Gwen.
28 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliant film Must See
pyrolaptop26 May 2014
Having multiple villains was a good idea. And linking in with the original spider man films due to the special projects area. Such as professor Octopuses arms.

Most of the film focuses on Elector or Sparky according to spider man. Then near the end there is the green goblin(Harry Osborn)then at the end the guy in the rhino robot. Not seeing the end of the fight was a good touch.

I expect that the next film will probably have like a documentary playing on the TV showing spider mans previous saves. And maybe someone getting close to spider mans identity. Since Gwen shouted "Peter" when she was webbed to the police car.
30 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A film which illustrated the comicality and empathetical nature of Marvel comics
othepantha29 May 2014
With much speculation about the success of this film, it surprisingly, yet thankfully, lived up to the billing! With expectation high despite the seemingly mediocre Amazing Spiderman it seemed impractical and implausible to believe this film would be any different. Yet with promises of a better script and storyline, it seemed as if the series was about to live up to its initially thought potential. This was already hyped up more so by the pretext of a more intricate storyline which was implied by the previous film's ending. So it proved. The storyline was better, and the bonus of empathy with villains really did not hurt its compelling case. All in all, a film that delivered what it promised...
34 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good but not great
tinovalkki3 June 2014
Once again a good example about movie that critics don't like, but I enjoy to watch. Of course this isn't greatest movie of history, but as a comic book filming it is very entertaining. Spider-Man's leaps between skyscrapers are beautiful to watch especially in 3D experience is like sitting on a roller coaster. Andrew Garfield is great as a Spider-Man, Emma Stone succeed well as Spider-Man's girl friend despite the tragical end. Sally Field is always great actress. Only Jamie Foxx don't convince in his role as a nerd. Luckily he act nerd only half of the film and the rest of the movie he is digitally enhanced Electro. Story is entertaining and pretentious comic book adaption and that is the way it should been watch. Albeit the dialogue is quite childish at time to time it doesn't bother too much. Lots of popcorn and enough of soda is all you need to enjoy this movie. If you want to say something bad about the movie you could say it has been inflate to so big that it will be a hard to surpass on next movie. Movies massive budget (200 million dollars) is hard to cross over. On the other hand if movie makes enough profit as theatrical release couple of more millions should not be any infeasible to approve.

26 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good action packed movie
osj250715 March 2015
I really like spiderman as a series, and I think Andrew Garfield does take on this more gloomy and dark version of spidey/peter parker, it works quite well and I hope that they make many more in the series.

Very nice action packed movie, if you haven't seen it or know what is coming in it, maybe you should not read on **spoiler alert**.

I am not a big fan of these villains or heroes for that matter that gets weird powers that is not at all plausible, spiderman well yes maybe a mutated spider could bit and transfer powers, that is okay for me, but Electro come on, he should have died in that fish tank and not become this electrical super freak evil bad guy. Give me the two other evil enemies at the end, Dane DeHaan really fits his part both as Harry Osborne, but also as the Goblin it is really good. The Rhino that we briefly see in the end is really fitting in my universe of spiderman and the evil fiends he has to battle, so for my sake those are the one they should go for.

Really good and action packed, maybe a bit to long, but it keeps you entertained all the way.
27 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good
manitobaman8118 August 2014
Superheroes are heroic because they feel a moral obligation to help the average Joe. Not this Spider-Man. All the characters struggle against the system that has perpetuated falsehoods. The main characteristic of the film is the gloomy atmosphere, emphasizing the desolate hopelessness. The cinematography is stark and bare, with only the soundtrack adding some effect. The acting is very effective. From an artistic standpoint, there were some plot elements and character developments I didn't think were totally needed. They do however drive the story, which seemed to be their purpose, so I can accept them. But it's a two-hour pile of destructive self-obsession.
28 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Down came the rain . . . "
pixrox112 May 2014
" . . . and washed this spider up." One pretty much expects Bond Girls to die. Every time Agent 007 gets hitched, his bride catches a bullet almost before the wedding bouquet is tossed. But when a movie's heroes are perky high school kids, movie goers expect more longevity than that enjoyed by Bond Gals. It's depressing enough when teens turn out to have their whole lives BEHIND them on Graduation Day in real life. Film escapism demands that trailers or previews must provide at least a kernel of truth-in-advertising. You expect teens to die in CARRIE, because the previews explicitly show that it's a horror flick. (Even Harry Potter's hapless "Cedric Diggory" character is a pretty minor plot sacrifice, thus no exception to this rule.) Teens are the number one demographic for movie multiplexes, so responsible exhibitors should refrain from biting the hand that feeds them. High schoolers also are the most easily influenced film fans. Ever since the rash of suicides and suicides-by-cop inspired by the 1950s film REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE, Hollywood studios have made an implicit pact with parents NOT to blindside them with another wolf in sheep's clothing like REBEL. However, AMAZING SPIDERMAN 2 is in clear violation of this understanding. Therefore, it can be rated "8" for college kids, but deserves a cautionary 4-out-of-10 for your impressionable high schoolers.
28 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Much Better Than People Would Lead You To Believe
dfa12037418 February 2015
So much negativity for a film that is far, far superior to the Raimi cheese-fest astounds me that it's a kin to praising Pearl Harbour over Saving Private Ryan in my opinion.

This version, like it's prequel, is so much better than any of the Raimi films in all aspects from action, story, and CGI that it's no contest for me. In saying that though, I think the only part of this version I didn't really like was the way the Green Goblin was portrayed. He actually looked like a cross between Wolverine and a leprechaun and he was more laughable than menacing. Other than that however, this is a much more enjoyable film than any of the others.

The story for the film, while being pretty predictable, is very decent for a super hero movie. I mean, how many super hero movies can have an Award-winning story that is NOT original or predictable? They are all the same in one way or another so for this story to be criticised more over others is a bit laughable. There is more of a "love story" with this sequel as well between Stacy and Parker, but unlike the way the annoying relationship between Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson was portrayed in the Raimi films, this one is not insufferable. And that's coming from a guy who hates any sort of romance in movies.

The main cast done a stand-up job once again with Garfield and Stone doing well with their continuation of Parker/Spider-man and Gwen Stacy. Jamie Foxx and Dane DeHaan were excellent in their roles as Electro/Max Dillon and Green Goblin/Harry Osborn respectively, especially DeHaan as Harry Osborn who brought a sly, sneaky, and very snake-like menace to the character. I also liked the Stan Lee cameo again in this one....it wasn't as good as his cameo in the 1st film, but it was still a nice touch.

Sam Raimi may have brought us a more up-to-date take on Spider-man but Marc Webb has made the franchise more enjoyable with less cheese. Ignore the hate and judge for yourself....you may just enjoy it as much as I did.
51 out of 92 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.