House of Cards (TV Series 2013–2018) Poster

(2013–2018)

Stood firm for four seasons, collapsed completely in Season 5
TheLittleSongbird15 November 2017
'House of Cards' much of the time was one of the most compelling shows. Sadly, it has also become one of the most frustrating. Not since 'Once Upon a Time' and 'The Walking Dead', and before that 'Lost' has such a brilliant show of great promise declined so rapidly.

Lets start with the many great things first. For the first four seasons, 'House of Cards' was seriously addictive, must-watch television and very quickly became one of my favourite shows. Throughout its run, it's one of the most stylish and most atmospheric shows personally seen, with cinematic-quality photography and production design. The direction was smart and intelligent, especially the first two episodes with David Fincher's, to me one of the better directors of the last twenty five or so years, involvement (the first episode earning Fincher a Primetime Emmy) and the music knew when to have presence and when to tone things down to let the dialogue and characters properly speak.

Also smart is the writing. Biting, thought-provoking and tightly structured, the writing in Seasons 1 to 4 was an example to all television. The political elements were intriguing and not heavy-handed, a problem so common in film but avoided in 'House of Cards'. The stories didn't go at a "fast" pace but it never dragged in the show's prime days, and they were also very layered, had variety and were suitably complex without being convoluted.

The characters engaged and intrigued, Frank being another example of one of contemporary television's most fascinating lead characters. 'House of Cards' throughout has been so strongly acted, with Kevin Spacey on tour-De-force form and Robin Wright giving career-best work.

So it just feels incredibly frustrating that a show of such brilliance in its prime declined so rapidly in Season 5, to the extent that it feels like a completely different show altogether. The production values and acting have remained top notch, but even they can't save the show being the complete anti-thesis of what it used to be.

Pace became incredibly draggy, thanks to flabby writing, simplistic characterisation that is suggestive of the writers not knowing what to do to progress the characters and stories that have become repetitive, both devoid of complexity and confused, ridiculous and like the writers have run out of ideas.

It to me was no surprise when it was announced that Season 6 would be 'House of Cards' last season, but it is somewhat saddening that production has now been suspended/cancelled following the Kevin Spacey sexual assault allegations that have now cost Spacey his future on the show (and done serious damage to his career). Season 5 cried out for another season, so that the show has ended on an incomplete note because of the controversy is a real pity, despite Season 5 being such a disappointment 'House of Cards' as an overall show deserves better than that.

Overall, brilliant for the first four seasons but Season 5 was so disappointing, enough to bring down the rating considerably. 7/10 Bethany Cox
71 out of 76 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great start for the earlier seasons only to collapse in the final season
After being denied the position as Secretary of State, a congressman named Frank Underwood and his wife Claire Underwood work for each other in the white house in order for him to be elected as President of the United States. At the same time, he exacts revenge on other people who betrayed him.

It's been 7 years since it became the first show on Netflix. Back at 2013, it became one of the most popular shows until Orange Is The New Black.

Upon learning of the show's history back at 2018, the same year the final season came out (I'll get to that in a moment), I checked out the show and from what I've gotten so far, it was really good. It's not as strong as Stranger Things, Umbrella Academy, The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance, Trollhunters, and Voltron: Legendary Defender, but it's a very thought-provoking show that tackles the political subject matter very well.

Let's start with the positives. Seasons 1-4 were very good. Not only did it provide a political edge, but it does contain drama that doesn't feel mawkish or shoe-horned and some nail-biting suspense. The characters are very interesting mostly Frank and Claire Underwood and the other side characters including Doug Stamper, Zoe, and Rachel, the cinematography is well shot, the pacing is very brisk, and the music score is suitably haunting. And most of all, the acting from everyone involved is great with Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright giving some of their best career performances in any show on history.

Unfortunately, it's not without it's faults as the show did decline in quality over the years. Season 5, while not exactly terrible and is actually decent, isn't quite as strong as the earlier seasons with some subplots that don't go anywhere and the writing feeling quite formulaic. Season 6, on the other hand, is where the show collapsed after Kevin Spacey's sexual allegations which got him booted off from the show. The story and writing (which had some new showrunners) is either poor or mediocre, the characters aren't exactly as interesting as they were even Claire Underwood, the pacing drags, and the music score isn't as memorable. The only good things about Season 6 was the decent cinematography and Michael Kelly who was the only actor trying with his character Doug Stamper even though he was used better in the earlier seasons.

Overall, House of Cards is a good Netflix show that had potential, but sadly fell apart. This show is only worth watching for it's subject matter and the performances from everyone involved.
18 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Simply not worth it anymore after Kevin Spacey left...
armastusmaitse9 July 2020
Simply not worth it anymore after Kevin Spacey left... the series lost all heart and soul...
112 out of 117 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
5 Seasons Of Highly Addictive Political Drama And Darkly Funny Satire
gogoschka-16 December 2015
I love spectacular TV-shows with amazing production values like Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead, but I have to say: although House of Cards has little interest in jaw-dropping images or gruesome make-up effects, it delivers just as many dark thrills to keep you glued to your seat as the action-heavy flagships of HBO and AMC. It's a testament to the writers', directors' and actors' talents that a show which mostly consists of people talking is as much a prime candidate for binge- watching as the shows I've mentioned before, so for those of you who haven't started watching it yet, be warned: House of Cards is highly addictive.

The show is based on the acclaimed BBC mini-series of the same name from 1990, but while the original show focused on the inner workings of British politics, the remake is entirely US based and concentrates on the rise of power-hungry congressman Francis Underwood who is played by Kevin Spacey. On the surface, the show might appear to be a political drama - which it certainly is - but it's also so much more than that. House of Cards combines a vast number of genres; it's a thriller, a love story, a black comedy and a satire - and a very interesting lesson in US politics, which, given creator Beau Willimon's profound knowledge on the subject (he used to work as a campaign aid for Hillary Clinton, Bill Bradley and Howard Dean), is probably a lot more accurate than what we would like to believe.

It's also worth mentioning that House of Cards was heavily inspired by certain works of William Shakespeare. The character of Francis Underwood is a combination of Richard III and Macbeth, and in true Shakespeare manner, he often addresses the audience directly to inform us of his evil schemes. As in the bard's two famous plays, the villain is also the protagonist and - to a certain degree - the person you root for. And what makes him so much fun and so compelling to watch here, is - regardless what you think of him as a person - Kevin Spacey's performance. Spacey's portrayal of a charming but deadly predator is simply perfect; despite the character's obvious willingness to go to extreme lengths to get what he wants, Spacey always keeps him believable and avoids the temptation of making him appear like a caricature or as over-the-top as Richard III in the play. But many of his co-stars are just as impressive; some of them actually downright outshine the famous oscar-winner, and especially Robin Wright gives an amazing performance as Underwood's equally ambitious wife and partner in crime (yes, season 6 is a let-down, especially the final episode, but that's not Wright's fault).

To sum up my overall impressions: Under the guidance of David Fincher (who serves as an executive producer on the show and also directed the first couple of episodes), Beau Willimon has developed one of the smartest and most entertaining TV-shows - with one of the most impressive casts - contemporary television has to offer. Seasons 1-5 are highly recommended.

Favorite films: http://www.IMDb.com/list/mkjOKvqlSBs/

Lesser-Known Masterpieces: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls070242495/

Favorite TV-Shows reviewed: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls075552387/

Favorite Low-Budget and B-Movies: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls054808375/
186 out of 225 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Robin Wright Destroyed this Show
cncgjqbm26 October 2021
This series was an exceptional political thriller, until Robin Wright destroyed the last season. This series didn't work without Kevin Spacey as Frank Underwood. I gave this a 10 for the seasons Frank Underwood was the lead.
21 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What IDIOTS! Legacy destroyed!
Bigkingp00716 November 2018
How do you go from 10 to zero in sixty seconds? Kevin Spacey WAS the show. You should have just cancelled if you wouldn't bring him back! So I guess he really wasn't acting after all?
132 out of 150 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worth Watching!
Supermanfan-1322 December 2021
House of Cards really is as good as everyone says and I now understand why it won so many awards! I just watched this recently with all the free time because of the pandemic and I'm mad at myself for waiting so long. I originally gave it a try years ago but was bored the few episodes and stopped, this time I powered through and became addicted to the show. I have to agree with most others here that the show dropped off a lot after Kevin Spacey left (or was fired). Spacey and Robin Wright were perfect for these roles and were both brilliant!
12 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Kevin Spacey is House if Cards
michelle_kummer6 March 2022
It's not the same without Kevin, he is one of the best actors out there and I'm so pleased to see he's got upcoming films coming out. This show is Kevin, unfortunately Robyn can't pull it off without him. A real shame too that the producers didn't back Kevin up.
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a Disappointment
Hitchcoc6 November 2018
I've reviewed all the episodes for Season 6 but feel the need to respond to the entire season. There were moments where I felt engaged because of the clashes of evil that took place here. With the exception of the press people, I can't think of a single person I could admire. I know politics is often corrupt, but without Frank's leading us through his various enterprises. Claire is a psychopath, not much different from Doug, and the two of them basically cancel each other out. The sad thing is that I don't care what happens to them. Finally, I wonder how much fun this season would have been if Spacey hadn't screwed up. Claire's posturing throughout is really tiresome. She's sort of Lady Macbeth. She's sort of Cersei from "Game of Thrones." But what is missing is a developed plot. I still don't know what she wanted. Was it power or a godhead or what. Or was it just to punish men. This whole thing was a mess.
30 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
There's no reason to watch without Kevin Spacey.
hdraytemur2 November 2018
Claire's character is being portrayed as an important figure from the beginning of the show. But the writers couldn't do it. Claire is the most empty and predictable character in the show. After the fourth season, Kevin Spacey was the only reason I watched it. Now, there's no Kevin Spacey so there's no point in watching it.
161 out of 180 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
WTF WAS THAT!? Terrible Season 6
contactgrod17 November 2018
Forgot a rating -I demand my 8 hours back! I want Netflix to formally apologize for torchering me through this. I would have happily preferred to be water boarded than to watch this complete cluster duck. And I don't mean duck.
36 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Solid political melodrama that loses its way towards the end
Tweekums25 September 2020
This Netflix series, based on a BBC series, is centred on Frank Underwood; a US Congressman who will do whatever it takes to climb the slippery pole to the top. As the story starts he is whip for the majority party in congress; he is soon moving up in the world, taking his wife Claire, and aide Doug Stamper with him. Those who cross him are likely to see their careers destroyed and those who become a threat are likely to have 'accidents'.

I really enjoyed this series; at least the earlier seasons. Frank is a great lead character; even though he is clearly a bad person, corrupt to the core, he is likeable. When outside events involving lead actor Kevin Spacey led to the character's in show demise things started to feel rather silly. Perhaps they would have done anyway but the final season felt like the writers were trying to come up with a way to lead us to a conclusion but suddenly we are expected to believe characters who haven't appeared before are much more powerful than the US President. Strangely it all led up to a conclusion that felt anything but final as several plots weren't wrapped up. The series is still worth watching for the great earlier seasons. Kevin Spacey was great as the Machiavellian Frank and Robin Wright impresses as his wife. Michael Kelly is probably the best of the other actors, doing a great job as the faithful Doug Stamper. The rest of the cast are pretty solid too. Overall I'd recommend this to fans of political dramas... certainly the first five seasons.
12 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointing Drivel
HHTurkish5 November 2018
No way around it, Season 6 was awful ...in every respect that the first few seasons excelled this fseason 6 failed.. Preposterous and confusing storylines, awful script, poor directing, the episodes had a soap opera like energy, as the saga provided empty thrills, and culminated in the most bizarre and ridiculous finale I've ever witnessed on television.... The first few seasons were great and deserved the highest of ratings; unfortunately Season 6 was a complete waste of time.
339 out of 441 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No Spacey no show
noskins-2334910 January 2019
Don't watch it at all. These propagandas have ruined a great great show.. garbage without Spacey.. Don't say I didn't warn you. Cheers :)
38 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pioneering Perfection
me-589-1456432 February 2013
I firmly believe that one of the major aspects of what makes House of Cards so good is the ability to watch all the episodes back-to-back with no commercials or programming schedules to get in the way. This small but hugely significant idea will be an industry game changer and I am certain that this is just the beginning

To me, the biggest advantage that this idea contributes to House of Cards is that it frees up significant time during episodes because it makes things like flashbacks or repeats of events almost completely redundant. There's simply no need for them because everything is so fresh in your mind, which leaves all that extra time for more story, more action, more conspiracy, more drama, more of the stuff that viewers really want to see. However it must be said that it does take a few episodes to get used to this, and you have to be really switched on and completely focused to ensure you don't miss a beat, because you really will pay a price if you do because what's said is never repeated, only referenced further down the track

As for the show itself, I can't sum it up any better than by saying it's incredibly good to watch. The one aspect of the show I enjoy the most is the monologue, or removal of the fourth wall, between the viewer and Underwood. It's an incredibly effective method of storytelling as well as the expression of emotion or opinion, and Kevin Spacey does a superb job at pulling it off, along with every other aspect of his complex and intriguing character.

The quality of writing, directing, and storytelling is as good as you'll ever see on the best shows in the world right now. Underwood has a massive ship to steer, and it is fascinating watching how he does it, through manipulation, blackmail, greed and determination. Each and every character has a critical role to play - there's no characters you could cast aside as being irrelevant or unnecessary to the story. That is a very difficult feat to achieve, and House of Cards easily passes that test

If you're going to pioneer something, like Netflix have with how viewers can watch House of Cards, you have to do it well. Everything has to be perfect, otherwise it will flop. A top quality show in House of Cards coupled with the worlds best internet streaming service is a very very good place to start. Netflix and the House of Cards team deserve a huge round of applause for daring to go places where no one has gone before. The $100 million gamble has definitely paid off, and I cannot wait for more

Needless to say, House of Cards earns a 10/10 rating, and an absolute must-watch from me
597 out of 780 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No Kevin No Show
auchterlonieerin29 July 2021
I loved this series, Kevin Spacey made this show awesome. As soon as he was gone the show just went from brilliant to bad. The plot didn't work and the character chemistry was gone. So unfortunate - this could have been one of the most iconic tv series in history.
22 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Political Drama!
DiCaprioFan1329 September 2022
House of Cards is about a ruthless politician (Kevin Spacy) and his wife (Robin Wright) who go to any lengths and do anything to get what they want. It really is as good as everyone says and I now understand why it won so many awards. I just watched this recently with all the free time because of the pandemic and I'm mad at myself for waiting so long. I originally gave it a try years ago but was got bored during the first few episodes so I stopped watching it, this time I powered through and next thing I knew I couldn't stop watching and binged the show pretty quickly. I do have to agree with most others here that the show dropped off a lot after Kevin Spacey left (or was fired and for good reason). It's really not even worth watching once he leaves. Spacey and Robin Wright were perfect for these roles and were both brilliant!
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nothing without Spacey
larrytate-927-6565164 November 2018
House of Cards Seasons 1-5 was one of the best series ever produced however season 6 was utterly ridiculous, the decent writers either walked out due to the network punitive action towards Spacey or they wrote nonsense in protest.

One has to question on what basis does any employer or other employees believe that they have the right to decide guilt and administer punishment of another employee regarding any issue outside of the actual field of employment?

Keven Spacey is one of the greatest actors of our age and for his own industry to treat him like a leper is a serious form of abuse in itself, utterly appalling example of political correctness gone way to far. We have institutions in place for investigating allegations, courts to decide guilt and dispense justice these are NOT functions that should be performed by self appointed kangaroo courts in the workplace or social media.

As the saying goes, let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Robin Wright is a great actress and the chemistry between her and Kevin Spacey was incredible viewing but sadly the show deteriorated into a farce once that chemistry was lost and the show turned into some kind of perverse feminist activism vehicle. Such a shame.
494 out of 639 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The series ended with Spacey's departure
zero_error6 July 2018
This is one of the best shows; excellent story, good script, exceptional acting by everyone, and good cinematography. The fifth season was a bit slow, but, what's disappointing is Spacey's departure (removal, rather) from the show. No matter how good the others were, Spacey is what made this show perfect. Without him, there is no way the show can survive. The series has ended for me.
280 out of 399 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I knew it... Pathetic...
crescendo_110 February 2019
The moment I heard they are gonna drop Kevin Spacey, I knew season 6 is going to lose its soul & suck hard... But they re-defined sucking in season 6... Although it started even before that announcement when Claire Underwood broke the 4th wall and stole the intimacy between the audience and Frank Underwood... Yeah that was when all the charm and anticipation went out of the window for the next season... This sets a new precedence where a stark contrast between season 1 & season 6 shows the greatness and ridiculousness of a good show exhibiting itself... The ones who made the the decisions to completely ruin the legacy should be ashamed & retire... I would love to give this show 1/10 because of season 6 but I am keeping my original rating intact for all the goodness of previous seasons... PATHETIC...
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Season 6 is a terrible watch
bosco-caldeira3 November 2018
I enjoyed every bit of HOC 1-5.. Both the lead actors and the supporting cast were excellent.. Season 6 is Dull as Ditchwater.. A painful watch.. If they did this so that the hundreds of workers on the show wouldn't lose their jobs that's sad.. The show which IMHO was the shining star of the Netflix stable has crashed and burned.. Robin Wright is a great actress but without Kevin Spacey, her acting is insipid and boring to say the least.. For HOC fans, stay with the happy memories of Seasons 1-5.this leaves a bitter aftertaste
501 out of 619 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If not for season 6, it would have been a 9
allanwallace-171-6693456 November 2018
I was fairly intrigued to see how it would work without Spacey, but rather unsurprisingly, it simply doesn't. For one reason or another most shows do go downhill a bit as they head into the final seasons, this one has nose dived off a cliff, and we all know the reason why. Whether or not the allegations against him prove true, one thing certainly is, Spacey was the life and soul of the show, it was his portrayal of Frank that kept us gripped, without him it simply doesn't work
76 out of 100 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Season 6 Disaster
sshesley29 November 2018
I cannot recall ever watching a series ending in such a horrible manner. The plot was confusing and the entire storyline was ridiculous. How they drew this nonsense on for eight shows was amazing. The annoying background music throughout the entire series may the watching of this disaster even worse. My advice, watch Seasons 1-5 and then walk away.
168 out of 189 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A long wait for a LOUSY storyline
larcam118 November 2018
I don't know about anyone else, but I think this season of House of Cards was really lame. The stories were so fragmented and there were so may loose-ends I could not follow anything. Everything was choppy bouncing from character to character. Conversations with no meaning to the overall story. The ending was especially anticlimactic and just plain dumb. I waited over a year to see some new stuff with Claire as president. It was just painful to see what this show ended up with. Very disappointed. If there is another season ..... count me out!
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Needs to end
tylersierrakayla7 July 2017
Show was great first couple seasons, but as with many other shows, dragging out far too long for (ie Prison Break). Last 2 seasons turning into "seriously?!". It's turning into a bad Hollywood movie, but unfortunately unlike a movie it keeps going. Just gets boring and old. Wrap it up and make the Underwoods pay, otherwise you're just insulting our intelligence.
43 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.