Django Unchained (2012) Poster

1,225 Reviews
Tarantino at his best
shawnmikedryer19 December 2020
(Jamie Fox, Christoph Waltz, Leonardo DiCaprio, Kerry Washington, Walton Goggins, James Remar, Don Johnson, Bruce Dern & Samuel L. Jackson)

Set in the Wild West in Texas in 1858, a former dentist turned bounty hunter named Schultz stumbles upon the Speck Brothers who are in transit moving slaves they own. Schultz gets to talking with a slave named Django inquiring if he's heard of the Brittle brothers, upon affirmation of such information Schultz proceeds to purchase Django if he helps him locate and take care of the brothers than he would grant Django his freedom along with a horse and $75. Schultz then takes Django under his wing training him the ways of the bounty hunter and he becomes his deputy. After successfully tracking and taking out the Brittle Brothers and many other targets over the winter Django tells Schultz his story of how he and his wife attempted to escape their former owner and then were sold separately, and how he would like to use that reward to purchase his wife back. They discover the location of a Mississippi plantation where Broomhilda, his wife , was sold. They learn the ruthless Calvin Candie Von Shaft is the new owner and they now know that a scheme needs to be plotted to successfully purchase Broomhilda without raising suspicion that she was the target all along.

For a nearly three hour movie it certainly doesn't feel that way as the film is so action packed that it'll keep you on your toes the entire duration of the film. A beautifully produced piece of film that stacks up with every other great Tarantino film, it just fits the mold so perfectly. Well developed characters and a unique story like none other. So much originality has been missing in westerns i feel like this one fueled the next decade of great westerns that have been released. This long list of actors in this film is quite extraordinary as there was even more great actors i could have listed. The soundtrack is absolutely phenomenal and I'll admit i listen to this frequently it just fit the film perfect. The dialog was written so nicely creating some iconic scenes. Anyone who truly loves film can not get enough of this Tarantino masterpiece.
33 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Mix Of Action And Comedy
CalRhys24 January 2013
Quentin Tarantino, one of the most iconic directors of the 21st (and late 20th) century, why? Simple. Because of masterpieces like this. Tarantino defies the laws of film, he shoots them in his own way, however he wants. Tarantino has always focused upon the action thriller genre from Reservoir Dogs up until Inglourious Basterds. However, Django Unchained is Tarantino's first look at the Western genre, his first attempt at it and he executed it beautifully. The scenes were shot perfectly alongside an amazing soundtrack as well as his own small cameo.

Django Unchained tells the story of Django (Jamie Foxx), a slave who is soon picked up by bounty hunter Dr King Shultz (Christoph Waltz). The story follows on as Shultz takes on Django as his "deputy" during their tasks of bounty hunting, in return Shultz says that after winter he will help find Django's lost wife, Broomhilda. This takes them to a huge plantation in Mississippi owned by Calvin Candie (Leonardo DiCaprio), from here they plan up a scheme on how to get away with Broombilda.

The cast boast out amazing performances, particularly Christoph Waltz (also famous for his previous collaboration with Tarantino on Inglourious Bastards as Colonel Landa). Both Foxx and DiCaprio's performance are both equally amazing. All three are able to add some light-hearted humour in the mix to make sure it doesn't stay too serious, as well as having comic actor Jonah Hill play a member of the KKK.

There's a reason the film has been nominated for 5 Oscars.
288 out of 412 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's not perfect but it's very good... and I'm not even a fan of Tarantino!
filipemanuelneto3 December 2020
I just saw this film and I confess that I am completely satisfied. I am not an admirer of Tarantino but I have little to say about this film, inspired by a character from the sixties western-spaghetti films and mixing western with blacksploitation. Tarantino's style (exaggerated, showy, extravagant and excessive) is all there before us, but unlike other films I didn't feel that this was a problem or transformed the film into a kind of parody.

The plot is about the search that Django, a former slave who is unexpectedly released and becomes a bounty hunter, will do for his wife, a slave who was sold and disappeared. He has the help of a German, responsible for his release. Together they discover that she is at the home of a rude slave-owner called Cotton Candy who, among other businesses, profits from death fights between slaves. So they decide to disguise themselves as experts in the field to go to his plantation and try to buy her freedom without Candy realizing what they want.

The film is very good and, despite being almost three hours long, it has no dead moments and entertains wonderfully. However, although Tarantino's exaggerations and histrionic vision were not a problem this time, there are some points that were really uncomfortable, mainly concerning historical rigor, which, we already know, is not something that he really takes seriously (another reason why I don't like him as a director). To begin with, such Mandingo Fights never existed. We are not in Ancient Rome and the slave owners, however bad they were, did not like to throw money out the window and kill for pleasure their best pieces! Tarantino went to get that silly idea from another film he liked and pasted it here. Another problem is the use of dynamite, which would only be invented a few years after the period in which the film takes place. The clothes also do not match the time or place of the action. The outfit of the Club's black maid, with that miniskirt, is particularly bad in that it sexualizes the character and imports a 21st century scent into the middle of the 19th century. I will not go on much longer, I think I proved my point. Another thing I have to say is that this is a very violent film, Tarantino style, that is, with a ton of blood for each bullet, spectacular shootings, some nudity and high doses of brutality. The dialogues are also full of racist insults and profanity, but I think that was something the film asked for, in support of its own credibility. In short, this is not a movie for anyone. With Tarantino, this is often taken for granted.

The main role was given to Jamie Foxx, and he is superb and gives the character a strength and toughness that I liked, and which contrast nicely with the polite sensitivity of Dr. Schultz, brilliantly played by Christopher Waltz. This actor had already done an extraordinary job in "Inglorious Bastards" and now he was even better, with a character that seems tailor-made for him. I was particularly impressed with the work of Leonardo Di Caprio, who rarely manages to make villains. He is an actor with a rare talent and has managed to be worthy of our contempt in this film. Another actor who shines in this film is the veteran Samuel L. Jackson, in the role of a black butler so fond of the owner that he becomes more slavish than whites. I also liked the brief cameo of honor of Franco Nero, the actor who played Django in the original films. It was an elegant and honorable way for Tarantino to bow to the actor and the work that inspired him. Much less impressive was the performance of Kerry Washington, who has little time and material to show what is worth.

Technically, it is a film full of notable aspects that require our attention and that, to a large extent, are part of the director's brand image. It is the case of cinematography and the use of strong colors and slow motion footage in action scenes, features of a strong visual style that Tarantino loves. The sets are good, and also the costumes despite the anachronisms that I have mentioned. The film has a pleasant pace, but the first half was generally better yet more restrained: it seems that Tarantino gets lost in his own style as he approaches the most violent scenes. The soundtrack is great and takes advantage of several songs by various composers. Personally, I enjoyed listening to the original song from "Django" by Luis Bacalov, and the songs composed for this film by Ennio Morricone, a name that will always be associated, in collective memory, with the great western-spaghetti of the past. It was a careful, effective and honorable selection in the way it honors the genre.
29 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brutally hilarious and quite messy, but a total blast from start to finish
DonFishies23 December 2012
I only had one thought on my mind for this Christmas: see Django Unchained. Quentin Tarantino's latest opus, a Western set two years before the Civil War, concerns a former slave named Django (Jamie Foxx). He is freed by bounty hunter Dr. King Shultz (Christoph Waltz) in order to help him with a bounty. Quite quickly, Shultz takes Django under his wing and trains him as his partner. But he made him a promise: that he would rescue his wife from a plantation owned by the ruthless Calvin Candie (Leonardo DiCaprio). And rescuing her is not going to be all that easy.

What pains me the most about Django Unchained, as a die-hard Tarantino fan, is just how sloppy it all seems. I enjoyed every minute of it, but I could never shake the feeling of how messy and thrown together it all feels. Portions of the film feel episodic (the search for the Brittle Brothers, mentioned heavily in the trailers, begins and ends practically within minutes), and some scenes just seem to play out just for the fun of it. Another scene from the trailers involving a lynch mob with bags covering their faces seems added for comedic purposes, and has no real point of actually existing. More than any of his films before it, Django feels like Tarantino simply making a movie for sheer pleasure and with no outside motivations or controllers.

The film threatens to go totally off the rails at any given moment, and lacks any real sense of direction or focus. It may sound ridiculous, but the loss of editor Sally Menke confirms a sneaking suspicion I always had about Tarantino – he needed a steady right hand to help encourage him as to what was needed and what was not. I do not want to criticize Django's editor Fred Raskin, but it is obvious he is no Menke and that works against the film heavily. It lacks the polish we have come to expect, and is practically stripped of the glossy/cool texture so prevalent in Tarantino's work up until now.

But then maybe that was his intention all along, and perhaps Tarantino is airing out his frustrations with life and film in general. Django is deliberately shot on film (or at least from the print I saw), and looks very gritty and messy at all times. It is significantly more brutally violent than anything he has worked on before (the borderline cartoonish Kill Bill included), and has a very go for broke attitude about itself. The film seems to revel in how brilliantly it can splatter all the blood and gore (done through the use of squibs and no digital!), and how uncomfortably numbing it can make the violence. I know he does not care what people think of his films, but this movie especially seems like an emphatically raised middle finger to the establishment. And for all of my complaints about how messy it all feels, I was never once bored or felt like the movie was dragging itself out. The staggering 165-minute running time shockingly flies by faster than you might ever imagine.

Acting wise, Tarantino stacks the deck with a number of recognizable character actors young and old for roles that vary in size. Most have very few lines, if any at all, and seem to just stand by, just as content as the audience is to watch the action unfold. It is a little off-putting, especially with how important some of these characters are initially made out to be. Washington as Broomhilda von Shaft (one of the most subtle references he's ever dropped) does well as the helpless victim and frequent dreamlike object – but she never really gets to show off any of her acting prowess outside of her facial reactions. They are increasingly effective, especially during horrific flashback scenes. But her work here feels ridiculously stunted in comparison to the other leads. Samuel L. Jackson, much like Tarantino himself, seems to just be having fun in his role as Candie's adviser Stephen. He plays on every ridiculous stereotype he ever has been associated with and then amps it up to a near ludicrous state. He is frequently hilarious, but the role seems to border on parody more than anything else.

Surprisingly, Foxx takes a very long time settling into the leading role. It may just be the character, but it is quite clear from the on- set that he is not very comfortable in Django's shoes, and leads credence to why Will Smith, amongst so many others, dropped out of the picture so quickly. But once he finds his footing, he does a fantastic job walking the thin line between empathetic and sadistic. It is not an easy character to play, but Foxx makes it his own, bringing a sense of style and grace that are virtually absent from the rest of the film. And of course, he gets all the best lines.

Waltz and DiCaprio are the clear standouts however, nailing every nuance of their sadly underwritten characters. While Waltz plays the straight man, DiCaprio is delightfully unhinged and vicious. Both are playing directly against type, yet are strangely comfortable in the roles. Watching them act circles around the rest of the cast, Foxx included, is the true highlight of the film. I just wish they were both given additional emphasis and more to do.

For all of its numerous faults, I had a blast watching Django Unchained. It is hilarious, it is a lot of fun, and is wildly enjoyable. I genuinely think it could have been a lot better if there was more focus and direction, but this is very clearly a picture Tarantino wanted to make on his own terms. And for that, I applaud him for the effort. It is not his best work, but certainly not his worst.

8/10.
719 out of 1,115 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved it! It's a hit.
masha_151226 December 2012
Absolutely loved every minute of this movie. Usually I'm not too crazy about Tarantino's movies, but this one is definitely the best one I've seen in a long time. The actors were picked perfectly. The overall experience of a movie is amazing. When we first went to watch it, I was a bit skeptical and thought I'd end up leaving an hour into the movie (it's a 3 hr movie), but it grabbed my attention from the very beginning and I didn't even wanna get up to go to the bathroom, afraid to miss something. I'm usually very particular about the movies, nothing can hardly satisfy me, but this one is definitely in the top 5. Soundtrack was perfect. When I got home, I've done some more research on it and loved it even more! Overall, I would highly recommend this film!
549 out of 889 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tarantino is undefeated
nadavsaar15 November 2020
This is a movie that wouldn't work with every other director other than Tarantino. Just like all of his movies, film making top tier. Every aspect of this film is amazing
20 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Freedom and Choices and Tarantino
salbelmondo-570-5128671 January 2013
In Quentin Tarantino's Django Unchained, there is a scene in which Django (Jamie Fox), soon after being freed by the incredibly likable dentist turned bounty hunter, Dr. King Schultz (Christoph Waltz), shops for new clothes to wear.

Schultz tells Django to pick out whatever he likes. Django looks at the smiling white man in disbelief. You're gonna let me pick out my own clothes? Django can't believe it. The following shot delivered one of the biggest laughs from the audience I watched the film with. After the white man confirms that yes, he is indeed letting the black man pick out his own clothes, we cut to a wide shot of Django riding his horse, now decked out in his very own (outlandish) cowboy outfit—an all blue with white ruffle get-up.

It's a great little scene that provides humor and allows the viewer to further warm up to the two main protagonists. But it also does more than that. It's a simple scene that speaks for the whole film. It's an affirmation that this man of color is now free and able to make his own decisions. The choice he made concerning his extravagantly loud outfit acts as a warning to those that plan to stand in his way—watch out, here I come, I ain't gonna be quiet no more.

And the humor the scene provides echoes the entire film—it wants us to get comfortable with our hero. Tarantino knows that a man of color makes an unconventional hero in a revenge- flick—that's why he made the film. When was the black man going to get his revenge film? It's been long overdue. With Django Unchained, that film has finally arrived and it has arrived in style. Beautifully shot, wonderfully acted, and meticulously written, it's Tarantino at his most epic.
284 out of 473 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brace yourself for True Tarantino
terrellrobinson7126 December 2012
Quentin Tarantino's 8th film "Django Unchained" is one hell of a movie. A brutal, bloody, terrifying, hilarious and awe-inspiring western disguised as a buddy movie that is so great that if John Wayne and Sergio Leone were alive now, they would've approve of this movie. It's designed to shock you, polarize you, test you and maybe even surprise you. But let me clear on this: If you are not a fan of bloody violence and the running length of 165 minutes, see a shorter movie. But if you love to see what Tarantino can do with movies like this, then you're in for a treat. Set during slavery in 1858, the movie follows Django (Jamie Foxx), a slave who is found by a bounty hunter disguised as a dentist named Dr. King Schultz (The always reliable Christoph Waltz) who hires him as a bounty hunter and a free man to find the Brittle Brothers. After finding them and hunting them down at a plantation run by Big Daddy (a remarkable Don Johnson), they relax for the winter only for them to go on a mission to find and rescue Django's wife, Broomhilda (Kerry Washington) who is owned by Calvin J. Candie (Leonardo DiCaprio) a man who runs a plantation known as Candieland. He even has a renegade slave as a servant named Stephen (A nearly recognizable Samuel L. Jackson, hidden in makeup and some prosthetics), who will have a part to play in the last half of the movie. I think Quentin Tarantino has outdone himself once again. Being in the filmmaking game for 20 years now, you can't deny and even reject his style in what he is bringing to the screen (He also has a cameo in here as well). His dialogue is like reading a book that grabs you and makes you want to know what happens next. The look and scope of the film is magnificent, thanks to a brilliant Oscar-winning cinematographer Robert Richardson and the late production designer J. Michael Riva. The performances in this film are brilliant. Having won an Oscar for "Ray", Jamie Foxx continues with his breathtaking performances that wows us. Here as Django, he is certainly fearless, baring his soul (and body) playing a man who is free from slavery, but can't be free by the rules and limitations of slavery. Christoph Waltz looks like he was born to be a part of Tarantino's entourage after his Oscar-winning performance for "Inglorious Basterds". Here, once again he brings humor and vulnerability to Dr. King Schultz. Never before have I ever seen an actor go that far and doesn't go over-the-top like Leonardo DiCaprio. As Calvin Candie, DiCaprio is certainly Oscar-worthy as a man who runs a tight ship by running a place where male slaves fight to the death and female slaves are being prostitutes and he seems to be the kind of guy to like even though he is a villain and he speaks Tarantino's dialogue like a pro. When he has a scene in which he reveals three dimples from a skull that belongs to his father, he is literally terrifying. Kerry Washington is superb as Broomhilda and Samuel L. Jackson is the real scene-stealer. The supporting cast is great from Walton Goggins, Jonah Hill, Michael Bacall, Michael Parks, James Remar, Robert Carradine to a small cameo by Franco Nero. "Django Unchained" has a lot of things to say about slavery and how cruel it is. But at the same time, it provides the fact that if Tarantino rearranged history by shooting Adolf Hitler to a pulp while everything blows up at a movie theater, he can do it again by having a former slave whipping a man who used to beat him and his wife. Now, that's entertainment. This movie really is off the chain. It's not only one of the most captivating films of the year, it's one of the best films of the year. Go see it, it will be worth your time. Keep in mind though, there are characters, especially Django, Stephen, Candie and Schultz that uses the N-word numerous times in this movie. That seems relevant to the time period, don't ya think?
484 out of 821 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best Tarantino movie and you can't change my mind
postolachivalentin25 April 2021
Jango (D is silence) is just one of those movie you can watch every year and it never gets old.

It's also the origin of those Di Caprio memes you saw online, so you know is good.

Also Christoph Waltz stole the show here and made me discover all other his movies.
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best movies this year
chinohillsjohn26 December 2012
At first I didn't want to see this movie because of some political remarks made by Jamie Foxx and Samuel Jackson, two of my previously favorite actors, but Quintin Tarentino is a great director, so I broke down and saw it. Glad I did. This was absolutely one of the best movies of the year. Although Jamie Foxx has top billing, this film would not have been anywhere as good without Christoph Waltz. He stole every scene he was in. Brilliant acting and great comedic delivery. Leo was great too. Lots of blood, something expected in most of Quintins movies, but a great story. Also expect to hear the N word about 2000 times. Cristoph Waltz should get the Oscar for his performance. Should get nominated for best picture. This is absolutely a must see.
445 out of 774 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Holy Sh*t!
hugo_gamboa25 December 2012
I rarely bother to give reviews after watching a movie. But holy crap this was a good movie. I'm pretty sure it is the best movie i've seen all year. and yes i saw dark knight rises, avengers, flight, Argo, hobbit, etc... Tarantino delivers and then some.. Every actor is on point. Awesome performances, great story, it will definitely take you on a ride full of surprises. I would recommend everyone to go watch this film, it is truly a great film.. unless you're a little kid.. don't go watch this movie if you're a little kid. I've seen all of Tarantinos movies and I have to say this has been my favorite. It is just awesome in every way. I'm usually very harsh on movies. I mean ill watch just about anything, but for me to think a movie was actually "good", takes a whole lot. DiCaprio was like i've never seen him before, and being one of my favorite actors, it was a little weird at first. But he does an outstanding job at selling his role within seconds of his first appearance. Waltz delivered as i knew he would. and Jaime Foxx, well he did not fall behind. Last but not least Jackson was hilarious and also did an amazing job... Go watch the movie, it is worth it.
407 out of 716 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I like the way you write Quentin!
Morejambo5431 December 2020
This is a fun movie! Great acting, great soundtrack, great editing and great story! The scenes in the big house...top class! Every scene with Leonardo diCaprio was amazing! Now my problems with the movie: the main meat of the movie, the mid section, dragged on a little too long and some of the dialogue was a bit dull but it was necessary to tell the story. The opening of the movie though, was great, I was hooked instantly and the end was so chaotic and fast paced! I wasn't expecting this movie to be as hilarious as it was either, so many scenes had the timing of humour spot on and actually made me laugh out loud. The story isn't complicated or hard to follow which is good, I enjoyed being able to relax and watch the movie unfold. I like this...8/10
13 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A masterpiece!
manseetswaroop16 October 2020
Django Unchained is a 2012 Hollywood movie depicting the story of a former slave turned freeman who just wants to get his wife back. He will stop at nothing to unite with his wife.

A brilliant masterpiece of a movie. The gut-wrenching way in which slavery in past-America is depicted is simply awe-inspiring. Quentin Tarantino goes all out to show the viewers what slavery was like in those days.

Every character in the movie were aptly cast and put on a splendid show. Every scene with Jamie Foxx and Christoph Waltz is memorable and impressionable.

All in all, this is a Tarantino movie. So, you gotta watch it. A revenge story so good that it will stir up your insides!
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tarantino's Best, A Must See
brendanboyle8-565-34654027 December 2012
I know claiming "Tarantino's Best" is quite a statement with such films as "Pulp Fiction" and "Inglorious Bastards", however I truly believe it is. Django Unchained is superb from start to finish, it's a 2 hour and 45 minute movie yet you're on the edge of your seat, eyes glued to the screen for the whole ride. It's the closest thing to a flawless movie I have ever seen. Before I continue my praise of this movie, let me say this "the movie is not for everyone." Clearly its rated R and it has several gruesome violent scenes, it also contains vulgar language and numerous uses of the "n" word. Some may claim it's excessive, but I personally appreciate how realistic it portrays the horror and tragedy of slavery. That being said, I am torn if I am more impressed with Tarantino as a writer of this movie or its director. He simply is a cinematic genius. The casting of this movie alone deserves an Oscar. Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz, and Leonardo DiCaprio all put on Oscar worthy performances, and frankly, I would be astonished if they all did not win. I truly can't picture any actor on this planet being able to play any of those three roles as magnificently as these three actors did. I sum this movie into three general thirds, First: where Waltz steals the show, Second: where DiCaprio steals the show, and Third: where Foxx steals the show. I have only seen Waltz in "Inglorious Bastards" other than "Django Unchained" and he is rapidly climbing my favorite actors list. Leo is my personal favorite actor ever since his performance in "The Departed" and it was incredible to see him take on the challenging role as his first villain, Calvin Candie, possibly the most evil character I've ever seen in a film. Finally Jamie Foxx from start to finish played his best performance in any movie to date. Simply phenomenal. I loved how the audience sees his character evolve from a powerless slave to a confident powerful man. In addition to these three remarkable performances, Kerry Washington and Samuel L. Jackson also deliver. Washington goes through living hell yet remains a strong woman throughout. Jackson plays a very interesting role as Stephen, Leo's loyal house slave. Trust me, you will hate him yet at the same time he is hilarious. Now's a good time to mention, this movie is funny! Tarantino perfectly tosses in frequent bursts of pure laughter throughout the movie to lighten up from the serious aspects of the movie. There is one scene in particular, involving Jonah Hill and Don Johnson, which had the crowd roaring in laughter for a solid full minute. Which brings me to my next point, the cast is absurd! The rather small roles for such big actors such as Jonah Hill and Don Johnson, just shows how honored actors are taking any role no matter how small for a Quentin Tarantino film. I recognized famous actors and actresses throughout the entire movie. There is one brief scene, where I believe I even saw famous rapper "Childish Gambino" for literally just a few seconds as a slave in Mississippi. This movie was done perfectly to a tee; even the remarkable soundtrack caught my attention, nicely combining songs of the past with modern day songs. This movie is a western, a drama, a tragedy, a comedy, an action, a thriller, and at it's deepest roots a romance. If you haven't already, stop what you're doing and see this movie today. Whatever you're doing can wait but this movie can't. Just make sure your 17, have your license, and have a stomach for more of the most gruesome violence I have yet to see on a screen. In conclusion, I've heard rumors of Tarantino pondering the idea of retiring as a director and Oo what a sad day that would be for movie lovers like myself, but if they are true at least he's going out with one hell of a BANG!
361 out of 678 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tarantino Epic
mistarkus26 December 2012
By incorporating a multitude of thematic Tarantino elements Django is the best Tarantino movie SINCE Pulp Fiction. Not as good as that great movie since this one is a little more bloated and less novel, it nonetheless is Tarantino's second best movie. This was great because it used many of the best aspects of the other Tarantino films. Such as the friendship between a black and white antihero (a hit-man like in Pulp Fiction but now the male bonding is as bounty hunters), also the violence art similar to Kill Bill and the Gut Warming, heart pounding, pulpy thrill of revenge against an evil like in Inglorious Bastards. There were many other aspects of Tarantino's movie in this one.

To start off the complete unpredictability is what really draws you in. You really do not know what is going to happen next which is refreshing to those that frequently see movies. The episodic scenes have such a high degree of unpredictability that it mesmerizingly keeps us on the edge of our seats.

There were some really amazing characters created which was not wholly due to the writer/director but the great actors who infused their talent into the roles. These characters' eccentricities were so unique that you might have never seen characters like this before. A trademark oddity in how they spoke, what they said and their ultimate actions reflected without any creative barriers the moviemaker's soul. If you thought Christopher Waltzes and Jamie Foxx's character were great wait till you get to DiCaprios and Samuel L Jacksons. You really wanted to see more of these characters despite the nearly 3 hour length of this Tarantino epic. Dicaprio's character was probably the best; he was so amusing with his warped, semi-depraved, megalomaniac eccentricity. DiCaprios acting was really good here too. Samuel L Jackson can blurt out the necessary profanities with the appropriate rawness making him the perfect actor for some of Tarantino's parts.

The greatest thing is the psychological aspects to these characters and how that plays out in the scenes. There is actually a lot of psychology going on which builds multi-dimensional characters and creates scenes of intense unpredictability. There were other scenes of brilliant hilarity mocking the dark side of the old south, or genre film itself.

As the movie progressed and where it could have ended well and uniquely alas a contrived scene was thrown in to showcase Tarantino's signature brand of violence art, reminiscent of Kill Bill. This weakened the movie as a whole and made it drag however it was pure fun to witness the slow motion blood splattering and detailed depiction of body parts being shot with blood shooting out like geysers drenching the place in red.

I think I heard Tarantino is criticized for rehashing old movies or copying from other films. I guarantee whether or not that is the case you've never seen something like this before.
219 out of 409 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great film! But so much music.
Beyondtherain26 October 2020
I love this film, the only thing is, the original score sounds great but the country songs, and raps songs just got repetitive. Turned a lot of scenes into Music montages or even Music videos.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Who's that stumblin' around in the dark? State your business or prepare to get winged!
one9eighty12 February 2021
Tarantino's first western film sees him return with a lot of the usual Hallmarks that are associated with him as an auteur. This film is heavy on violence with lots of gunplay and fighting, and it is filled with plenty of dialogue which drives the story as much as the action. Like some of his other films there is also a theme of vengeance running through it, something that was explored a little in "Inglourious Basterds" by Shosanna and the American-Jewish commandos; in "Death Proof" by the surviving women; sort of in "Jackie Brown", "Pulp Fiction" and "Reservoir Dogs" too. This time out though, the main vengeance is between a freed slave and slavers in the 1850's wild west.

Christoph Waltz plays Dentist/Bounty Hunter Dr King Schultz, who frees a slave called Django (Jamie Foxx), who will help him find some outlaws he has been tracking for a bounty. Django has his own plans though and wants vengeance against the racial injustices that are rife, and primarily to find his wife Broomhilda von Shaft. They learn that she is being held as a slave at the Calvin Candie (Leonardo DiCaprio) "Candyland" plantation in Mississippi. On route to Mississippi, Django learns all about bounty hunting from working with Schultz and they develop a mutual respect for one and other.

Although Jamie Foxx was not the first name out of the hat when Tarantino went into casting, he delivers a great performance as Django. As his story arc develops, he gives the role some excellent character and strength which I liked, which contrasted nicely with Waltz's more polite and sensitive character. Django and Schultz have a good chemistry that works well in tandem, one being gritty and raw, and the other being quieter and more reserved. One being about action now, and the other being more of a planner. Both manage to learn from each other as the story progresses and, in a sense, this becomes a bit of a buddy road trip (on horseback) film. In Tarantino's last film "Inglourious Basterds" I felt that Waltz's performance was one of the standouts, and this film he continues that level of acting once more. I do not prefer one of the roles over the other, they are both equally on par here.

The pantomime villain of the film is DiCaprio's Calvin Candie. On the surface a well-mannered southern gentleman, despite obviously being a slaver and dictator in his own kingdom. This performance caught me off guard slightly and the usual lovable DiCaprio was able to turn on the offensive as easy as turning on a light switch. One minute he was being presented as calm and jovial, the next minute displaying a mean as hell psychopath willing to risk everything. Tarantino had wanted to work with DiCaprio for a while, even try to get him for a role in "Inglourious Basterds", so in "Django Unchained" he finally got his man.

I must mention Samuel L. Jackson's performance in this, he was incredible. He made my skin crawl and was a genuinely haunting character. He felt as much a bad guy as Calvin Candie was. In learning to survive and the way he adapted to do so for a better lifestyle he become corrupted. This corruption was not just the way he was and acted, but also the way he looked, his mannerism, everything about the performance gave me shudders.

Dealing with a film that looks at a dark time in humanities history is always going to invoke ill feelings and this certainly does that. Tarantino's film here is of course highly stylized and not entirely historically accurate in certain parts, but the main topic of slavery is something that cannot be denied. While "Mandingo" fights might not be accurate, or the wardrobe being display is not always correct for its time, the atrocity of slavery did of course exist and was mainstream in certain parts of America. While Tarantino handles this topic, and the linguistics unabashedly, certain audiences and critics did not respond well to it. While some audiences and critics have said it is offensive to them and handles racial issues terribly, equally the film has received praise from some quarters for the way it authentically handled these things. In this sense, the film does and will divide perceptions and will not make everybody happy or comfortable. In his own justification, Tarantino wanted to do a film which featured the history that America is ashamed to deal with, and which other countries directors feel they do not have a right to deal with.

This highly stylized western film is tribute to Spaghetti Westerns of the 1960's and 1970's, three of which Tarantino openly admitted he paid homage to in making "Django Unchained". Sergio Corbucci's 1966 "Django" and his 1968 "The Great Silence", and Richard Fleischer's 1975 "Mandingo. The "Unchained" part of the title may pay tribute to the likes of Corbucci's 1966 "Hercules Unchained", or Lee Madden's 1970's "Angel Unchained" which is a revenge film against rednecks. Lots of doffs of the cap to Corbucci but then when Tarantino wrote this film he had just finished a book on Corbucci overlap isn't all that surprising. Furthermore, Corbucci makes a cameo in the film too, which further shows Tarantino's admiration for the Italian filmmaker.

I enjoyed this film more than I though I was going to. After "Inglourious Basterds" I expected another visually strong film, but one which was a bit messy and unintelligent. In this I got an exciting film that despite its nearly 3-hour runtime it did not feel like it dragged and still offered plenty of twists and turns. It might not have handled certain racial elements well, and I cannot think it did anything for gender politics either the way that women appear only as damsels in distress. But none the less it offered good writing with lots of strong dialogue. The onscreen bromance between Foxx and Waltz was endearing and fun, and DiCaprio's character gave me a somebody to "boo" and "hiss" at. Add to the writing and the performances some lovely cinematography and well-choreographed scenes, and this film does feel like a modern spaghetti western that is full of grit and style. 8 out of 10.
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
a brilliant film
pka-646-70220121 November 2020
Tarantino is unpredictable. You never know what to expect in the next scene. And that's make the movie interesting. The music is also excellent. Only this blood is too much for me. So I give 8.
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Twisted violence from an overrated director with nothing new to say
sean_howsyourfather19 January 2013
This is nominated for best picture? You got to be kidding me. Where are the sweeping themes, the original ideas, the unique contribution to cinema? This is just a remake of a spaghetti western/blaxploitation movie, with the same old funky soundtrack, the same old movie homages, plot tricks, blood splatter, etc. It was fresh and original in Pulp Fiction, but half a dozen movies later, it is becoming formula. But, wait, I forgot, this is a savage indictment of slavery. Hahahaha. This is movie nerd Tarantino stealing other directors' ideas and painting the world in ludicrously simplistic black-and-white, in Technicolor, so that the bad guys are so detestable you'll cheer graphic violence and mass murder. This time it was slavers, last time it was Nazis, what cliché bad guys will be next? Terrorists? Vampires? In a musical homage? How long can this juvenile director keep spinning the same old blood-spattered revenge theme in a genre remake? This is not cutting edge cinema, folks. Using the N-word does not make you a daring film genius. Now if Quentin spent his multi-million budgets on a movie about, say, a father whose daughter was gunned down in a mass shooting, and goes on a killing spree at the NRA headquarters or a Hollywood studio, I'd be just as disgusted but at least I'd call him original. Well, no, it would be just more twisted cliché, like all Tarantino movies these days.
161 out of 314 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
⛓🤠
sonlin9 January 2021
Emotions 9/10 Feeling 10/10

Directing 10/10 Screenplay 9/10 Acting 10/10

Cinematography 10/10 Soundtrack 10/10 Editing 10/10 Production Design 9/10
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Currently my favorite movie
jodawals8 January 2021
Awesome story, great performances, so many spectacular moments, just all around everything I like in movies. Easily a 10/10.
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Django Unchained Is A Masterpiece!
BrnzReviews24 April 2021
This movie is just wow, I couldn't believe it I really enjoyed watching this tarantino classic once again he's nailed it! Story is amazing and the focus on certain issues we once faced is incredible di caprio hasn't made one bad movie in my opinion, a perfect western worthy of being a classic!

Recommend highly!
Django Unchained 2012 Review
chandean-697623 March 2021
"I like the way you die, boy"

Definitely in my top 3 Tarantino films, dare I say a solid second place? It's hard when you have this, Kill Bill and Pulp Fiction all next to each other. Django Unchained gives you some crazy, gore filled, off the wall, explosive action. The way blood is used in this film seems so off the top yet realistic it's just beautiful. Performances are also a strong suit, I mean damn, I can't think of a single bad performance. Everybody gives it their all and Leo definitely deserved an Oscar for this. Sam Jackson's performance is also one of my favorites, he seems like he's having so much fun in his role and his character is extremely memorable. And as with almost all Tarantino films, cinematography is on point and there are a handful of shots in this that are just, breathtaking. You definitely can't go wrong with this film, it's action-packed, filled with some amazing acting, has beautiful cinematography, a captivating story, and a great score all wrapped into one beautiful film.
Really good
ywhjnvkw25 February 2021
Great movie the most movie movie ever it has everything, it got action, love, great dialogue, cool characters, it's awesome very very good
Unchained
croydontklim25 February 2021
Expect me like you expect Jesus to come back Expect me, I'm coming, hahaha.