American Horror Story (TV Series 2011– ) Poster

Not everyone's cup of tea, but I loved it.
senn-5169220 July 2018
American horror story is a great if you're into this kind of horror, people that are into slasher movies/shows will probably not like this.

Overall AHS has its low seasons and high seasons, every season is very different and that's why most people aren't into all the seasons. Overall probably the best thing about this show is the casting and acting. Sarah Paulson, Evan Peters, Jessica Lange and Kathy Bates for example are incredible actors/actresses that never disappoint in this show.

I personally think its genius how Ryan Murphy managed to make every season very different from the ones before but still manages to connect all of them.

My opinions on the seasons;

1. Murder House: 7.5/10, Great season with some real scary things, not my favorite season, it had flaws but the casting was amazing. 2. Asylum: 9/10, Scariest season of all for sure, my kind of horror. You'd expect that a season that is mostly filmed in just one building would be kinda boring, but it sure wasn't. Incredibly great season 3. Coven: 8.5/10 probably the most hated season of the show, but why? I loved it. Sure, it wasn't that scary and it had flaws but the casting was perfect. Lange and Emma Roberts were both perfect for their roles. Evan Peters annoyed me though, his role with the whole love triangle with Madison and Zoe was stupid. Probably my favorite season although it wasnt scary at all. 4. Freak Show: 5.5/10 Doesn't compete with the other seasons to me, the casting was good but that was about it. Overall I kinda enjoyed it, I guess? The ending was disappointing although Lange left the series in a great way. The only character I really enjoyed was the villain. Not a great season, sorry. 5. Hotel: 6.5/10 Not a very beloved season by most, but to me it was watchable and I dont feel like I wasted my time watching it. The casting was okay, Lady Gaga did great job acting and definitely added a great touch to the season but apart from that it wasn't a really interesting season all around. A lot of blood and sex but not the best season of the show. Overall I would recommend watching it although most people aren't into it. 6: Roanoke 7/10 Finally another scary season. The season felt like a haunted-House horror movie but longer. Sarah Paulson did incredible as the "crazy, paranoid wife". A big plot twist in the middle of the season and it left me with some confusion but I sure did enjoy this season. 7. Cult 7/10 Before the season started I was really scared I wasn't gonne like this, politics, clowns and Evan as the villian, but after watching it I actually enjoyed it. The concept was alright to me and some episodes were just boring. Again, Sarah Paulson played the crazy wife but again, she portrayed it well. Her wife was very annoying and I hoped she'd die early on but she didn't. The "different" episode with Frances Conroy was incredibly boring and didnt feel needed but sure let's forget about it. Sarah did a perfect job and her character was great, excited to see more of her next season.

I love this show and I'm definitely excited for season 8 (Radioactive) and season 9. I can understand why people dislike it but it just is your cup if tea or it isn't. Hope to see more of these horror shows in the future.
16 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entertaining.
demented_baboon7 October 2011
A dysfunctional family moves into an old house, a house with a history of horror. For the main characters, history is what the first episode is all about: the husband's history of infidelity, the wife's history of having a bloody stillbirth, the daughter's history of cutting herself -- for each a long history of pain and resentment and longing for change, though it quickly becomes apparent the only change coming will leave them hysterically screaming to the sudden, violent, gory end. The one sure thing this show promises is that people will die horribly, and we will all be terrified by it.

The characters are not likable; they may not even be redeemable. Even the suffering wife is bitter and cold and hateful. But do they deserve what horrible things will assuredly happen to them? Nope. Which means their fight is our fight, and their fear is our fear.

American Horror Story is interesting, entertaining, suspenseful, and ambitious. After watching the first episode, I want to watch some more.
213 out of 302 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolutely Awesome!
lukepatrik8 October 2011
I found the first episode to be awesome, great suspense and has a really eerie/scary feeling to it., Definitely not your typical haunted house plot, i think the writing is very creative and very well thought out,.

The first episode is very well assembled and an impressive pilot. We are quickly introduced to all the characters, who appear to be quite likable, yet slightly flawed. Then we are introduced to a cast of supernatural beings, Who are definitely flawed,and most most definitely BIGTIME CREEPY,. Man just watch this show its overly awesome. wont be regretted. ,If you grab a lot of the great horror movies and mix them up you get American horror stories. There were quite a number of sequences that were unsettling and quite disturbingly perfect,. Every scene leaves you stunned in a way, waiting there stil and anxiously not knowing whats gunna happen next,. This show has everything and more all us horror fans need these days.

OVERALL The show utilizes both shock and psychological terror to frighten, Absolutely loved it, exceeding my expectations like nothing else. A MUST WATCH!!

cannot wait for the next episodes!

10/10 there is nothing else that compares to this style on TV,. watch it and try to disagree ;)
249 out of 370 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Real Horror Fans Will Like It.
ChrisMichael8112 October 2011
There are so many things that could have gone wrong with F.X. attempting to take on a genre that American Film makers have turned into a high school idiot machine. Thankfully the people who made this know what they are doing. If you are a horror buff you will understand what I am talking about after a couple of viewings. It could have been so easy to make a high school shock fest all wrapped up for a safe and appropriate viewing experience. This show is weird, deranged, creepy, and best off all well acted and well written. Great character development that is based on things people would actually do if they faced that situation. This show really does have a bright future if they keep rolling at this pace. I must say, I am very impressed. Almost Walking Dead impressed. This show though is way more deranged then Walking Dead though. Keep it up F.X. . You have a potential winner on your hands. This show of course is not for everybody. The people who don't like it would be better served by watching something a little more tame and mediocre like Tera Nova.
290 out of 437 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Different Kind of Horror
JoeC34514 October 2011
These days when the genre of horror is brought up most people think of the latest slasher bloodfest like "A Nightmare on Elm Street" or the latest attempt at trying to scare us with some lame movie like "The Ring". It might be a problem with the time constraints of a 90 minute or 2 hour movie, it's hard to completely capture the audience and slowly twist the perceptions.

Another thing forgotten in recent horror movies is the fact of NOT explaining everything within 5 minutes of it happening, it's more entertaining and spooky to speculate why someone sees something or what actually happened in a particular scene. People forget that in some of the best horror pictures like "Psycho" the real horror came from the suspense and the wondering of what was going to happen and that the violence was secondary.

The dialogue between characters is actually impressive especially in a couple scenes that you will be able to easily pick out. Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk who also created Nip/Tuck and Glee (odd combo) seem to be able to excel in almost any genre and especially now in horror. It's rare to writers like this who aren't afraid to jump around from genre to genre fearlessly.

It's hard to describe many aspects of this show without giving away to much so I must refrain from describing the plot as it appears so far.

The day after I viewed the pilot episode I was shocked to see all the negative feelings towards the content of the show. So let's be VERY clear this show is classified MA which stands for "Mature Audiences" which should be taken the same as and "R" rating for films, so if you don't want you or your kids to see it that's fine but don't get all pissy about a show you decided to watch that was marketed as a "psycho-sexual horror". Yes there is scenes of semi explicit sexual acts and scenes of disturbing violence but it's a horror story so images like that are to be expected.

It's refreshing to find a show that is different and does not follow traditional formula's TV horror shows. I plan to watch every week and enjoy the series fully, since it is honestly very rare to see a show do better in it's genre then most recent films.

American Horror Story arrived a couple weeks ago on the great FX network that also houses two of my favorite shows: "Sons of Anarchy" and "Justified".
156 out of 234 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Got to love this weird, haunted freak show
wierdwar20 November 2011
Something totally different in a entertainment landscape of toned down crap. Finally something that pushes the boundaries and takes some chances. In a time when everybody worries so much about whats real they unwilling to buy into anything slightly outlandish. Suspend your disbelieve and take a walk into the strangest, most twisted little series I've seen since Carnivale. I love this nightmarish ride into the twilight zone.

I think the casting is superb. Great acting throughout. The writing is fast paced and doesn't stretch things out like many long winded series. Too many shows take for ever to get the ball rolling. This show is fast paced and never leaves you much chance to breath before springing another traumatic event your way. I can hardly wait to see where this fun house ride leads to next.
85 out of 124 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Has drawn me back in
patstaciemcgue19 September 2017
Season 7 - Cult. I will be completely honest, the first 2 episodes really turned me off. I figured this season was heading down the same path as Roanoke and perhaps worse with the political and social overtones. HOWEVER, I decided to keep watching. Things have turned around dramatically and I am now engaged in this season. It is ridiculous and unbelievable, but the characters are now starting to show themselves and several secrets are now out in the open. The show has been very good the past 3 episodes and has officially drawn me back in.

I will say this... the 5th episode "Holes" is brutal. I've been watching horror for over 30 years and I can honestly say I haven't had a scene un-nerve me to the extent this one did. Watch and you'll see what I mean.
14 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Classic Ryan Murphy gold
winsumlosesum27 October 2011
Initially I was left wondering how - what essentially is a short horror movie - could be made in to a long running TV series, but after a few episodes I started to realise that it's the Ryan Murphy magic that is sustaining this outstanding show.

Much like Nip/Tuck, you have to suspend your belief and see this as purely entertainment. There's so many open ended narratives that are slowly unfolding and although at times the show verges on the edge of cliché, a single episode could easily match the brilliance of such horror classics like The Amityville Horror and The People Under the Stairs.

At the end of every episode I feel shocked that 40 minutes have gone by, which is a sure sign that this show is pure, unadulterated, entertainment.
111 out of 170 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"AMERICAN BEAUTY" - With A Faceful of Acid...
dcscribe886015 October 2011
If we have absorbed the lessons of what independent family dramas have taught us in the past few decades, what have we learned? That Father Has Never "Known Best", that the "Dreams of The Everyday Housewife" can be laced with resentment, disillusionment, fear and madness? That the placid, peaceful, tranquil picture of the all-American family we have believed in (and taught to uphold and emulate) by our own parents, has always been a facade for all kinds of dementia and dysfunction?

If this is true, then what Ryan Murphy has done is taken the clichés of everything from chief competitor Alan Ball's award-winning American BEAUTY and Stephen King's THE SHINING, put them on steroids and blended them together in his word processor. The result? American HORROR STORY, where the only thing more terrifying than a haunted house laden with secrets that rip people to shreds, are the secrets and lies infesting the lives of one family that threaten to rip THEM to shreds.

When a tragic miscarriage and an even more shattering act of infidelity threaten to tear apart their tenuous marriage, Ben Harmon (THE PRACTICE'S Dylan McDermott) and his wife Vivien (FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS' Connie Britton) take their teenage daughter, Violet (Taissa Farmiga) and move away from their "house of horrors" to find a new start somewhere...ANYWHERE that they can put the noxious past behind them and at least try to have a go at tending to their gaping emotional wounds.

The place they choose - or maybe that chooses THEM - a run-down manse on the outskirts of L.A., turns out to be a real bargain, and though irredeemably creepy, does have an antiquated charm...if you're into murals that would give even Hieronymous Bosch nightmares.

In no short order, unsettling and strange characters - as much as the house itself is - begin to materialize and insinuate themselves into the Harmons' lives, whether they want them to or not: next-door neighbor Constance (Jessica Lange in a brilliant turn), whose demeanor suggests a deadly combo of Blanche DuBois, Norma Desmond and Gale Sondergaard's Black Widow; Frances Conroy (Ruth Fisher from SIX FEET UNDER) as the mysterious housekeeper, Moira, who appears to the rest of the family as one persona, while tempting Ben's weakness for "a taste of strange" with another more lascivious presence, (played by Alexandra Breckenridge); Larry Harvey (TRUE BLOOD alum Denis O'Hare), a horribly burned man who seems to be stalking Ben, and who has his own deadly history with the house and what lives there, and Constance's daughter, Adelaide, (Jamie Brewer), with Downs' Syndrome, yet who seems to have it more together - and knows more about the house - than anyone else around her.

Even Ben's practice as a psychologist is fraught with peril, with the introduction of a teen patient named Tate Langdon (Evan Peters), who has an easier time picking apart and savaging the weaknesses in Ben's emotional armor than Ben does in probing his inscrutable and infuriating new charge's troubled mind. Not to mention that his growing fascination/infatuation with Violet doesn't help things one little bit.

Many people have cried fowl about the show's penchant for relying heavily on old horror tropes and clichés, without even paying attention to how it has been taking said clichés and twisting them into newer and even more unsettling shapes than today's average hot mess passing itself off as a 'horror film.' Leave it to FX to allow Murphy and his team - much as they did with NIP/TUCK - the freedom to push the boundaries of where a horror-infused series can go, without the constraints that hog-tied many of the like-minded series that came before it, such as the ground-breaking TWIN PEAKS or American Gothic, (which wasn't anywhere near as well-written as this).

Two episodes in and I am already intrigued, grossed-out and frankly spooked by what I have seen so far. I just hope that the quality continues to get even better as plot lines and characters get darker and more deadly secrets are unearthed...
102 out of 157 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Season 7 - no go
ravenfaust18 November 2017
Season Seven of AHS is nothing like the others, it has NO horror just murder. The story is somewhat like the Manson murders but more politically charged against Trump etc/ AHS took a turn for the worst in this season buy using politics and senseless murder for the "Cult" (manson) . I enjoyed the other seasons which had somewhat of a horror theme but this one was boing, nothing creepy or anything like the rest. Enjoy if you like politics ..
60 out of 89 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hard to rate a show that is a entirely different each season!
raquelragon19 July 2018
AHS is officially my most favorite horror/thriller/creepy tv show and also my most hated tv show! All thanks to season 7. Which is easily the worst season they've made. How can a show SO incredibly good create seasons like 5- hotel (and my personal favorite, season 3- coven) and then actually think that season 7 was a good idea?! Ugh God and Sarah paulsons annoying cry/whine has been annoying but manageable throughout all seasons but in season 7, I. Can't. Take. It.

Such a disappointment when you wait forever for the new season to air and it's so boring/stupid that you don't ever care to keep watching it. Stopped watching after episode 6.

DONT LET ME DOWN AGAIN AHS.
15 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Started good ended really bad...
iso-mail7 April 2012
This series started with an already old but always appealing story: a family moves in a haunted house. The first episodes were promising but it all went downhill. This is one of those series where the writers lose their imagination all of a sudden. There are ghosts who behave like humans and, after the body being killed and buried still appear and have human behaviour (having sex with humans, going to a bar and having a drink with humans, etc...). There are tons of characters (ghosts) that bring nothing new to the series. -The series gets boring really quick since 90% of the action is inside the same house (and these are 40-50 minute long episodes).

This is another series that starts great but then someone just remembers to screw it up completely (remember Flashback, Kyle XY or even Lost? Just to name a few). I couldn't bear to see the whole 1st season, it was just too stupid and complete waste of time. Awful!!
64 out of 100 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
went from bad to awful
bikey12777 January 2012
Best thing in the show so far: Alex Breckenridge The absolutely worst thing so far: McDermotts playing with himself scene. The scariest thing so far: an 8.5 rating and a whole bunch of good reviews. Maybe its the ghosts???

We all know the primary reason this show was 'created'. Its the money. Horror or the supernatural is trendy. Look at Twilight, True Blood, Paranormal Activity, The Walking Dead (an awesome show, by the way) and others. Just throw in some sex and you got a winner. I battled through the first season and it was rough. If it wasn't for 45 minute packages arriving every week I probably wouldn't be able to watch this horror. And I have seen all kinds of horror movies before. I am a fan of the genre. Honestly, I thought the show hit rock bottom in the Halloween episodes. But it went straight through that rock and landed in the cesspool beneath. I had extremely low expectations and it turned out to be just what I expected from Glee with ghosts, monsters and other whatnot's. Why am I disappointed by this horrible American story then? Well, there is this lack of creativity. And I mean lack as in there is no creativity. The story is a collection of every horror cliché known to mankind. Not to mention all the plot elements that were just copied from old horror movies, polished and repainted for people who have never heard of or seen The Amytiville Horror, The Shining, Rosemary's Baby, Poltergeist and countless other movies. The house itself has a serious ghost infestation. They are everywhere. More importantly, they have abilities that are not ghost-like (if you don't understand what I'm trying to state here, watch The Shining please). They can materialize anytime and anywhere inside the house, have therapy and a prescription for Prozac, have sex with each other and with the living thus conceiving a child, hurt the living with weapons like guns and fire pokers, stealing newborn babies, eat a sandwich and drink coffee, fall in love.....This premise is completely illogical since most of them died violently, often by the hands of another ghost, and are now stuck in this house forever. No ill feelings, resentment, revenge, no making someone suffer for a long, long time ??? Apparently not.

Positives? It looks good. Oh, and Miss Breckenridge in a French maid outfit. That's about it. EDIT: THIS IS A REVIEW OF THE FIRST SEASON.
94 out of 152 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Scary Movie in a Weekly Show
shyla-m-robinson-125 October 2011
American Horror Story is an attempt to take the horror movie from the big screen to a weekly to drama. It has the elements of a story akin to The Amityville Horror or A Haunting in Connecticut where a family moves into a new home filled with a sinister past that has a habit of rearing its ugly head. The families ignore the history and give the homes a try anyway only to find themselves wrapped in a terrifying mystery.

American Horror Story focuses on the Harmon family who is moving from Boston to Los Angeles to escape their past. Vivien Harmon (Connie Britton) is still reeling from the miscarriage of her baby boy and the subsequent affair she caught her husband having to "cope" with the loss. Ben Harmon (Dylan McDermott) is a psychiatrist who is trying to escape his mistake of sleeping with one of his college students and the rift it has caused in his marriage. Violet (Taissa Farmiga) their daughter is disgusted with her parents and the move but loves the house and its sinister past.

The plot only thickens as the cast grows. Tate Langdon (Evan Peters) is one of Ben's new patients who shows not only an interest in Violet but an unusual amount of knowledge about the house. Constance (Jessica Lange) is the Harmons' next door neighbor and seems to have no problem not only speaking her mind but being pushy and threatening. Last but not least Larry Harvey (Denis O'Hare), a former owner of the Harmons' house, starts to follow Ben and warn him about the house. Larry had murdered his entire family in that house and he warns Ben that if he's not careful that house will change him and may make him do something he wouldn't otherwise do.

This show is a really creative idea. To be honest it's strange to me that no one has ever tried to do something like this before. It has all of the normal concepts and ideas that keep you coming back to a normal drama series, but it has the added element of a horror movie. So you not only get the mystery but the ghosts and the murders. It's nice because you don't only get one type of horror movie. You get ghosts, you get slasher, you get possession type horror like Larry who ended up killing his family. The show appeals to all tastes of horror.

One of the things that could be better is that there are just so many characters that seem to know something about the house and they also seem to know each other. This makes things a little confusing. The writers are probably trying to keep the audience interested but this particular collection of twists is a little confusing. Maybe as the series unfolds it will become clearer.

Someone that really loves horror movies will love this show. It keeps your attention with all of the twists and turns. This show takes an amazing genre of films and allows an audience to have a new weekly addiction. It's a great mystery/horror fix.
45 out of 69 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An excellent, entertaining, and very intriguing Horror show!
Red_Identity22 December 2011
Unlike many reviewers on here, I have waited until the end of the first season to actually review this series as a whole. I want to start off with the Pilot. When I first saw it, I had a lot of problems with it. It was messy, and some of the characters were dumb, and some of the acting was corny. However, after the Pilot ended, I realized just how intrigued I was by it. It sure was a messy Pilot, but that's the beauty of it. It was always moving, it wasn't your typical slow-paced suspense show.

In fact, that pretty much sums up the whole season. This is a crackling, fast-paced and entertaining horror series. I would never call this high- art, but that's what makes it great. The show doesn't take itself seriously at all, and it always remains fun, even when it's silly, and yet you get really invested in the story lines and characters. Sure, the performances are flawed at times, and the writing and directing awkward, but the fast pace in every episode doesn't ever let the viewer gasp for air. This is the true definition of a thrill ride. It also feels very experimental. It executes a lot of things in very unordinary ways, in ways that no other TV show does. It doesn't always succeed, but even when it doesn't, you can appreciate it.

Your friends might call The Walking Dead the better horror show, but I disagree. As far as Pilots go, no matter how entertaining or thrilling American Horror Story's Pilot was, the Pilot for The Walking Dead was better, masterful in every way. Since then, it's merely a good, sometimes great, TV show. It takes itself more seriously and is slower-paced, but it's problem is that a lot of times the writing just feels stale, recycled. You are intrigued by it, but it sometimes feels weaker than it should be. And the fact that it takes itself too seriously sort of dampens the fun one should be having with it, simply because its writing isn't strong enough to stretch out its story lines (like the two best TV shows on air, Mad Men and Breaking Bad, do). American Horror Story is better for these reasons- each episode by itself is exciting, it's always moving, and instead of trying to slow things down and makes its flaws more apparent, it even overdoes things on purpose. Messy, sure, silly, sometimes, but overall more intriguing, funner, and more exciting. I cannot wait for the second season of this, since I thought the resolution to the story of the first season was excellent, as well as the final shot.

P.S. Oh, I also want to add another note to take. The performances do hit their great marks, but the only truly incredible performance is Jessica Lange. Her character and performance makes all other supporting turns in television look stale by comparison, and all of her scenes are truly gold! She needs to win that Emmy next year! I want to see her back!
69 out of 110 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awesomeeeeeee
dipseydoo9 February 2013
Loved it - it has everything a horror buff would want to see - possession, aliens, goriness, mutants, experiments and much more ALL UNDER ONE ASYLUM !! Loved it to the core ! Also loved the eerie song - dominiquee !! This one was wayyyy better than season one ! Season one has lots of loose ends and lots of questions even after the season finale but this season even ended well. Everything falls into place or is taken care off. However I did feel they killed a few characters earlier than required but no real complaints. I was glued - I just could not stop watching. I saw the whole season back to back in 2 days straight. Really looking forward to season 3.
70 out of 112 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Season 7
blackrivercz20 September 2017
OK, this is getting ridiculous. Extremely cheap plot, 95% of the episodes are just annoying screaming and crying.

Watch the first three series, then quit for your own good. Those are really good and atmospheric actually. They get really dark and scary, very different from most other series. Then gradually I felt like they either ran out of ideas, or kept trying to force too many. The last season is a great example. They try to deal with the elections, 4chan, clowns and it is starting to make no sense. The dark atmosphere is completely lost and the series is average at best now.
18 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
finally a good haunted house story
pepper137 October 2011
At last they've come up with a great haunted house story. Not too much gore, just creepy eeriness. The writing is great, the story leaves you wondering what is going on. (Spoilers) They deal with real issues like infidelity, miscarriage, teen angst, down syndrome, although that little girl is not your typical down syndrome child. However, her mother, played by Jessica Lange is fabulous. A polite, albeit pushy southern bell type, yet, "If you touch my child again, I'll break your arm". I love the house, starting in 1978 when it was decrepit, and falling apart, to present day when it has been completely refurbished. I would love to explore a house like that. The use of split second visions, leaves you wondering, what did I just see? I think this is going to be a great series, I can't wait for more!
99 out of 166 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Let's be honest...
addeisdead1 November 2011
This show has few good things going for it. The cast, with the exception of McDermott, give good performances. The cinematography is excellent and there's a lot of atmosphere. And that's about it.

The mood of this show is suffocating, to put it lightly. Each episode is one weird thing after another with no rest. That leads to a lack of real suspense. The camera work is over the top, and the musical cues try way too hard.

Ultimately, though, it's the plot that fails this show. As I said before, there's an endless stream of weird things happening, which means you never get an ounce of suspense or tension. But worse than that, all the weird things that happen are typical horror movie tropes that we've seen a hundred times before in other horror projects.

The following paragraph contains details that some may consider spoilers: The story steals a lot from The Shining and quite a bit from Amityville Horror. The basic concept of a haunted house where all the previous owners were killed is about as stale as you can get. The Simpsons parodied it some ten years ago. To make it worse, they throw in every other cliché they can find. We've got creepy things in the attic and creepy things in the basement. We've got an obsessive ex-girlfriend. There's a man who's been horribly disfigured in a fire who happens to wear a black suit and drive a black sedan, which leads to an incredibly schlocky chase scene. There's a home invasion a la The Strangers or Straw Dogs or any of a million other movies. There's a conniving, evil neighbor and a mentally handicapped girl. There are college students getting stabbed to death by a serial killer and a mad scientist who likes to cut up animals and sew their parts together (not hard to imagine where that's going). About the only things missing are werewolves and vampires.

And the worst part of it all: the show is just barely entertaining. During the Halloween marathon I watched the first three episodes and was so unconcerned with what was going on that I decided to find something else to watch. There's no real mystery and very little about the characters to care about. You are basically just watching things happen to them. I'm usually the sort of person who wants to know how things will end and will watch even a mediocre show to find out. With American Horror Story I found myself not caring how it turns out at all.
97 out of 167 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Overrated, Disppointing and NOT Scary (Season One)
Shazam-O22 November 2012
I just finished watching Season One based on the recommendations from many friends.

I was under the impression that this was an anthology show - that every episode would be a different scary story with different characters. So i was a little disappointed when I realized it was a season-long story. Oh well, we'd watch it anyway with open minds. An ongoing story line could still be scary.

However, this was not scary. There were a few creepy scenes, but that's about it. Each episode starts with a little scene from the past to establish where the ghosts came from. The show could have been helped A LOT by focusing more on THOSE stories rather than the house's current residents - an annoying Bostonian psychiatrist and his family. There is so much they could have done with this show - but didn't.

Even though I had been less than impressed with the show, I made it through the season and still held some expectations for the final episode. Unfortunately, the final episode was the worst of the lot. The ending was a terrible, predictable, cop-out leaving a number of loose ends.
31 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disgusting, boring and mediocre
tecnogaming16 July 2014
Wow, i really wanted to like it, a series about horror stories, nothing can be better than this.

The pilot started good, with the typical story about what happened to the people in the house to lay the ground for what's to come for the new owners.

10 minutes after these guys move in, the pilot starts to slowly and surely turns for the worse.

The "horror" and "scary" parts are not horrific and scary at all, in fact, I wasn't scared not even once. The way the scenes are composed is amateurish at it's core and the dialog is incredible stupid and unrealistic.

I know this is not real life but the conversations and situations have to be at least logical in it's own way.

The majority of scenes are just plain disgusting, they also felt forced and by the time I watched 30 minutes, it was just too much for me.

Slight Spoiler Ahead: ---------------------

A house keeper that is a ghost but in fact it is a hooker than also turns on the husband of the house that then give us a masturbation scene, not only that, the psychopath patient of this guy then falls in love with the daughter of the masturbation guy that is also trying to kill herself.

This is the basic script for the pilot, can you believe it?

End of Spoiler. ---------------

This show has the word "PERVERSION" at it's root, it's seems that all the script and the acting is done purposefully to entice the pervert, shame on you !

There is an over abundance of sex portraits in the worst possible way.

The story has no logic whatsoever, it's disgusting, immoral and quite idiotic.

I'm a fan of horror and/or scary movies and I just can't believe how wrong this pilot was.

If this is the way to open the series then I'm sure I wont watch anymore.

This seems like a real bad series, score is just wrong on this one and I totally disagree with the majority of the reviews here.

I really don't know what the target audience for this series should be, but I'm sure nobody in the right mind will like it.

That this series is already renew for 2015 while other incredible good series like "Awake" got canceled in the first season should tell you a lot about the world we live in.

I really don't know how the story proceeds from the pilot but one thing is for sure, I'm not interested and if you can't see how gross and utter disgusting this series is from the pilot and need to see more then it's all on you.

You SHOULD KNOWN better.

If you want a real horror story please, do not waste your time with season after season of this pile of crap, better go watch a REAL true horror story series like True Detective.

Good things comes in small packages.
42 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hit and miss
jayjaymadigan22 August 2018
The first 3 series are great but at this point there are more bad series than good ones, freak show felt pointless and the musical numbers incredible forced, hotel was okay but dragged on for far too long and became a confusing mess, roanoke was a disaster with the exception of the terrible underused Kathy Bates and Cult started off with promise but again ended up in its own backside, I've no hope for this new series.
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
American Horror Story is ''Good'', but it could have been better, much better.
LostGameofWalkingVengeance7 September 2015
Firstly, this is an anthology series, which makes it a little bit more difficult in judging it as a "whole" series, since each season is, essentially, a mini-series in its own right.

Overall I find this series to be "good", but this is not showing the picture clearly enough because the seasons do vary, and they vary greatly in my opinion.

Season 1 – Murder House is "Very Good" with 9/10 Season 2 – Asylum is "Exceptionally Good" with 10/10 Season 3 – Coven is "Fine" with 7/10 Season 4 – Freak Show is "Underwhelming" with 6/10 It is worth mentioning that Murder House set the standards quite high while Asylum delivered above and beyond, where it truly was an American Horror Story.

However, without going into much detail about the latter two seasons, I believe where the writers and/or producers have gone slightly wrong, is that they focused more on attaining characters for the actors to play rather than actors for the characters to be played by. This in conjunction with losing a lot, and I mean quite a lot of the "horror" factor and producing less of a cohesive and evolving "story" they created two instalments of an American Horror Story... where only the "American" part was more or less true.

This is not to say that Coven and Freak Show were bad "mini-series", they were both watchable, the former more so than the latter but they were not well produced, despite the potential.

(UPDATE)

Season 5 – Hotel is "Substandard" with 5/10

Unfornatunely, the latest instalment of the AHS, Hotel, did not reclaim the past seasons' former standards, worse still, this season, was even poorer than its previous predecessor, as I personally feel, hence the overall rating from me for AHS will now go to 7/10 as just "okay". While the general "film" aspects such as the filming, audio, editing, production, style etc. remained fine – not the best but certainly not the worst, the rest that comes with making a series seriously lacked almost everything.

The story, which ironically the series boasts in its very title, lacked tremendously; once again it felt incoherent, inconsistent, insipid and this time had even more plot-holes than even a patient viewer, such as myself, can allow to pass. There were so many things wrong with the design of the characters – some of them felt so extremely "forced", as in, it felt like they didn't really fit into the "story" (if you want to call it that) but the producers pushed them in just so that they can get the actor/actress from the past involved, after looking back that's seriously a big issue.

It's actually rather difficult to put into words how bad this season is, and while I can barely understand why it may still appeal to some, it is safe to say that the majority of us will agree that this was not the best of AHS.

I think the people behind this show may be allowing their "success" get into their heads; it seems the fact that AHS is quite popular and the fact that it is an anthology series makes them a little more careless, as if to say… "if we f*** up we can forget this season because it's an anthology and plus we are popular anyway". I hope that's not the case, but it really does come across that way more and more.
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If R Kelly and M. Night wrote a Halloween soap opera it might look like this
S_Craig_Zahler9 October 2012
American Horror works acceptably (until the end) because it keeps so many things in motion--- plots and timelines and things that go bump in the night. Sort of like Heroes (also a 5)-- and no scarier-- the show relentlessly churns and twists to surprising reveal after surprising reveal all delivered with maximum pathos, though a fair share of the performances are good. There is never once a scary moment--- quick cuts and lots of goofy canted shots pretty much guarantee there is never any atmosphere, unless you think music videos are atmospheric. The heavy handed music choices don't help, excepting the cool whistling bit and the piece that sounds stolen from Wojciech Kilar's superb score for (the otherwise crappy) Coppola-directed Dracula (I don't like to put Bram Stoker's name at the front of that one.)

So AHS functions as a fast moving and surprising soap opera with a big budget, some good make up fx and some decent acting, which is why it gets a 5. Actually had the last double length episode not been the series nadir--- really bad dialogue and spacious melodrama that fails utterly--- the show would be slightly north of mediocre, but 'afterbirth' is pretty stinky, and the penultimate episode 'birth' not much better.

Like most Stephen King stuff that I don't like*, it is essentially modern day fantasy with too much explanation of everything so it barely even functions as suspense, much less horror. Ghosts as lead characters who can appear and disappear at will puts this in a camp with things like Ghost (yes, the Swayze one) and Noel Coward's Blithe Spirit. If you think Ghost and Blithe Spirit are horror, then American Horror Story is horror, but I don't (and you shouldn't) even if AHS has occasional gore and burn make up.

Overall, American Horror Story is a mildly engaging soap with better than average acting for a soap and a lot more blood than the average soap, but actually less creepy than the original Dark Shadows show, which actually had atmosphere and let the scenes breathe (and had better music as well).

*Horror guys I dig are the old school of Lovecraft, Blackwood and Machen, and also the visceral and immediate books of high tension storyteller Richard Laymon.
22 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Shallow, shallow, pathetic (the third season)
gogga101119 January 2014
The second season of American Horror Story was excellent, but the last (third) is one of the worst I've ever seen! I wonder at what were the authors of this show, whether they are drugged or mad because such a large amount satanic perversion, brutality, slaughtering, and the total absurdity of exercising their own demented fantasy is difficult to invent by normal person. Above all, the show has no longer the charm and originality as a second season, and this is just the accumulation of shallow, cheap grotesque scenes that shocking viewers. And merge them with quite stupid dialogues. All in all, a great disappointment and hope that something like this will never make again! Pity.
45 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.