An anthology series centering on different characters and locations, including a house with a murderous past, an insane asylum, a witch coven, a freak show, a hotel, a possessed farmhouse, a cult, and the apocalypse.
Convicted of a decade old crime of transporting drug money to an ex-girlfriend, normally law-abiding Piper Chapman is sentenced to a year and a half behind bars to face the reality of how life-changing prison can really be.
Both physical and psychological horrors affect a decomposing family, workers and residents of an insane asylum, a coven of witches, a cast of circus freaks, the employees and guests at a struggling hotel, a family who moved into a mysterious farmhouse, and the members of a small suburb in Michigan in this haunting anthology series, focusing on the themes of infidelity, sanity, oppression, discrimination, addiction, and exploitation.
Sarah Paulson's reporter walk-through scene in Asylum was pulled directly from actual footage of Bill Baldini's exposé piece on Pennhurst Asylum in Spring City, PA. Baldini's work led to the closure of Pennhurst and the release of all its patients. Pennhurst is now the location of a seasonal haunted house and has been featured on numerous shows, due to the reported extreme paranormal activity in Pennhurst's buildings. See more »
Frances Conroy ("Old" Moira O'Hara) is right-eye dominant. Many times you can see that she, as Moira, is focusing on the object she's looking at using her "blind" right eye instead of her left eye. See more »
I hate you! I hate you! I hate you! I hate you! I hate you!
See more »
American horror story is a great if you're into this kind of horror, people that are into slasher movies/shows will probably not like this.
Overall AHS has its low seasons and high seasons, every season is very different and that's why most people aren't into all the seasons.
Overall probably the best thing about this show is the casting and acting. Sarah Paulson, Evan Peters, Jessica Lange and Kathy Bates for example are incredible actors/actresses that never disappoint in this show.
I personally think its genius how Ryan Murphy managed to make every season very different from the ones before but still manages to connect all of them.
My opinions on the seasons;
1. Murder House: 7.5/10, Great season with some real scary things, not my favorite season, it had flaws but the casting was amazing.
2. Asylum: 9/10, Scariest season of all for sure, my kind of horror. You'd expect that a season that is mostly filmed in just one building would be kinda boring, but it sure wasn't. Incredibly great season
3. Coven: 8.5/10 probably the most hated season of the show, but why? I loved it. Sure, it wasn't that scary and it had flaws but the casting was perfect. Lange and Emma Roberts were both perfect for their roles. Evan Peters annoyed me though, his role with the whole love triangle with Madison and Zoe was stupid. Probably my favorite season although it wasnt scary at all.
4. Freak Show: 5.5/10 Doesn't compete with the other seasons to me, the casting was good but that was about it. Overall I kinda enjoyed it, I guess? The ending was disappointing although Lange left the series in a great way. The only character I really enjoyed was the villain. Not a great season, sorry.
5. Hotel: 6.5/10 Not a very beloved season by most, but to me it was watchable and I dont feel like I wasted my time watching it. The casting was okay, Lady Gaga did great job acting and definitely added a great touch to the season but apart from that it wasn't a really interesting season all around. A lot of blood and sex but not the best season of the show. Overall I would recommend watching it although most people aren't into it.
6: Roanoke 7/10 Finally another scary season. The season felt like a haunted-House horror movie but longer. Sarah Paulson did incredible as the "crazy, paranoid wife". A big plot twist in the middle of the season and it left me with some confusion but I sure did enjoy this season.
7. Cult 7/10 Before the season started I was really scared I wasn't gonne like this, politics, clowns and Evan as the villian, but after watching it I actually enjoyed it. The concept was alright to me and some episodes were just boring. Again, Sarah Paulson played the crazy wife but again, she portrayed it well. Her wife was very annoying and I hoped she'd die early on but she didn't. The "different" episode with Frances Conroy was incredibly boring and didnt feel needed but sure let's forget about it. Sarah did a perfect job and her character was great, excited to see more of her next season.
I love this show and I'm definitely excited for season 8 (Apocalypse) and season 9&10.
I can understand why people dislike it but it just is your cup if tea or it isn't. Hope to see more of these horror shows in the future.
56 of 68 people found this review helpful.
Was this review helpful to you?
| Report this