Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014) Poster

Maybe the best MCU movie
arnohardwell-4163827 April 2020
The fact that I rate this movie with 10 is not an exaggeration. This particular movie I really consider to be the best of MCU as the character development, the story, the action scenes, the direction and many more details still shock you.It could be said that this is a political drama with a strong Marvel dose in it. The dialogues are also excellent and careful written as well as the casting. I understand that many other movies like Infinity War, Avengers etc. are considered by most to be 'better', but if you watch this specific movie twice or more, you will realize that you are facing a masterpiece in all respects. In most parts of it, you think that you are in the movie and you feel that you are experiencing the emotions of the characters. In my humble personal opinion, I will repeat that Captain America: Winter Soldier is a masterpiece and will always be my number one Marvel movie.
43 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best Marvel comic book superhero movie of 2014 so far!
ivo-cobra824 October 2015
Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014) is the best Marvel comic book Action Superhero movie and one of my favorite films of The Avengers! Big, busy and action-packed - like the first movie, but with better pacing. It is a huge improvement over Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) I am sorry but I don't think Joe Johnston is making a good films. He even screwed up my favorite film Jurassic Park III. Great movie! I didn't like the first Captain America but I LOVE this one. Great acting, great story, great action, great EVERYTHING. Marvel Studios continues to improve upon and expand this superhero universe and it shows with Captain America: The Winter Soldier. The action is turned up, the performances are top notch, plus with the addition of Robert Redford raises the bar yet again. Chris Evans certainly owns this role know just as Downey owns Tony Stark.

I LOVE LOVE LOVED the Iron Man trilogy. There are lots of great intrigue moments, though I think some of the biggest "plot points" on this one were spoiled thanks to the marketing and broader fan base knowledge of the whole "Winter Soldier" subplot in the comics. Regardless, it was a fun ride, albeit predictable as far as the internal politics end goes. The themes in this one are far more "mature" for a comic book movie, too--it almost felt more like a political action thriller à la Jack Ryan rather than a comic book based film, which made me love it even more. Phenomenal cast (the returns were fantastic as always, but the new characters also really did great work!), great music, the action sequences in this are SO awesome and generally I left this movie feeling very satisfied. I'm definitely going to see this more than once. It also makes me want to watch Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., which I haven't actually seen yet, but apparently there were plenty of references!

Overall, this was a huge improvement on the first Captain America movie, which I actually didn't liked that much but it was a good movie. I'd venture to say I liked it more than The Avengers. D: Chris Evens gave us a wonderful performance as Captain America, it was the most Action comic book film I have ever seen! This film has a heart, it is Entertained, fast paced, filled with full of actions. Samuel L. Jackson did a wonderful job as Nick Fury, finally his character did something to do in this film, like fighting with assassins and so on. I loved him in this film much better than I did in Avengers : Age of Ultron (2015)in this film he has everything in it. Scarlet Johansson did a good job a supporting cast as Natasha Romanoff she wasn't annoying in here, she was a good supporter to cap. I hated her in Iron Man 2 and Avengers: Age of Ultron, but in this film I like her and I have enjoyed watching her in this film screen. This is the most wildest, most colorful team of superheroes ever brought to life on the big screen, is a massive success, a fan favorite and a critical darling. Winter Soldier, a tense, dramatic conspiracy thriller that somehow makes its strangest comic book elements work wonders, is a masterfully conceived and executed sequel that takes Captain America -- and, along with Guardians, the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe -- in a bold, exciting direction. Both are outstanding films. Both boast astonishing confidence, production design, action and visual effects. Both are terrific fun. Both represent a brave new world for comic book movies. And each one for completely different reasons.

Which is Marvel's crowning achievement? How do you even compare the two? Answer: you don't. Other than ranking the films by personal preference, it's a fool's errand to pit Cap, Black Widow and Falcon against Star Lord, Gamora, Drax, Rocket and Groot. You sit back, think to yourself it's good to be a geek, soak it all in, and wait for the inevitable Avengers crossover. Love 'em both. Watch both of 'em over and over and over again. Enjoy each one on its own terms. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) was probably my second favorite Marvel film of 2014 but this one Captain America: The Winter Soldier is a kick ass best film ever! This film kick's Joss Whedon's Failure Avengers Age of Ultron in to the ground! This movie is what it is, a perfect 10, because it takes the vision of one of the most imaginative directors on Earth.

As Steve Rogers struggles to embrace his role in the modern world, he teams up with another super soldier, the Black Widow, to battle a new threat from history: an assassin known as the Winter Soldier. I love this movie and I don't care what anyone say! It Is my favorite best Marvel film of 2014!

Captain America: The Winter Soldier is a 2014 American superhero film featuring the Marvel Comics character Captain America, produced by Marvel Studios and distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures. It is the sequel to 2011's Captain America: The First Avenger and the ninth installment in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU).

10/10 Grade: Bad Ass Seal Of Approval Studio: Marvel Studios Starring: Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Sebastian Stan, Anthony Mackie, Cobie Smulders, Frank Grillo, Emily VanCamp, Hayley Atwell, Robert Redford, Samuel L. Jackson Directors: Anthony Russo, Joe Russo Producer: Kevin Feige Writers: Christopher Markus, Stephen McFeely Rated: PG-13 Running Time: 2 Hrs. 16 Mins. Budget: $170.000.000 Box Office: $259.746.958
27 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Definietly one of the best MCU movies
SebMoz14 November 2020
Oh man, was it good to get back to a great movie again after Thor: The Dark World. This movie, unlike that one, is well constructed, written, acted and directed. There is so much to love about the movie it's hard to name it all. The plot is well thought out and realized, complete with great twists and turns to keep you on your toes. I love the spy thriller astethic the movie presents, and it complements the more straight forward action very well. It also presents its themes of trust and morality in a solid and thoughtful way. The pacing is solid, the plot advances in a very natural way, and the movie sets up its important plot points ahead of time to make the movie more enjoyable on rewatches. The movie also does a great job with its characters. Steve, Natasha and Nick are all great characters with their own struggles, while also being very likeable, and they also have excellent chemistry. I love that Steve and Nat's relationsship isn't romantic, as that wouldn't work at all with these characters. I also really like Sam, he's sympathetic and a nice addition. The Winter Soldier is a great villain as well, which mostly comes from the fact that he is just a human, not some evil monster like so many other Marvel villains. I love watching his struggles with indentifying his past and resisting the changes made to his brain, as well as his relationsship with the hero. All this is of course helped by some solid performances from almost everyone involved. The direction is solid as well, with the perfect mix of wide shots and close-ups. The fight choreography is great, one can really feel the weight each fight carries. My only slight issue with the film is the fact that the heroes seem to be saved by plotholes a little too often, for example by a bad guy waiting to killing a good guy just long enough for something to appear to save them. It feels a little stupid, but it's not a big deal and it's pretty easy to ignore if you feel like it. Overall, this movie is extremely good. It does almost everything right, its flaws are small and inconsequental, and it's just a really entertaining movie. I recommend it to anyone who likes superhero movies, or just action movies in general.
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awesome Action and Worth Watching!
btkb18 March 2020
I loved the fight between Bucky and Captain America. The cool part was when Captain America threw his shield at him, but Bucky caught it which surprised him. The ending was great. I was surprised to see Falcon since I didn't know he had a suit too. Thought he was just a random person that jogged along with Captain America. It's definitely worth watching!
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Thrilling Sequel that Raises the Bar for Marvel
TyRawrrnosaurus23 March 2014
With Rogers, Fury, and Romanoff previously established, directors Joe and Anthony Russo do a magnificent job at expanding these characters – along with some secondary characters we've seen before – providing more depth to understanding their actions and how they will affect future stories. Sam Jackson has a stronger presence this time around, validating Nick Fury as a main staple in the MCU among the big boys. Captain America is stronger, faster, and a more refined soldier, equipped with better fighting skills and understanding of current technology. Evans plays the earnestness of Captain America's black and white morality with convincing finesse in an age of grey that he has yet to find a comfortable middle. And Johansson progresses the allure of the cunning and multifaceted Black Widow, while bringing a splendid and lively balance to Rogers' straight and narrow.

Amidst such a tight and clever script, The Winter Soldier introduces a band of new characters, all of whom play a significant role, creating a more layered and conceivably real MCU. Frank Grillo brings the swolling mass of muscle known as S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent Brock Rumlow to life. Emily VanCamp surprises with her portrayal of Agent 13, whom I wish had more screen time with Cap than just two quick scenes. Robert Redford plays Alexander Pierce, a superior ranking Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D., friend to Nick Fury, and representative of the World Security Council. Pierce is a wonderful look into the higher ranks at S.H.I.E.L.D., contributing new insights as to how the organization is run outside of Fury, Agent Coulson, and Agent Maria Hill. Anthony Mackie is Sam Wilson aka The Falcon, an ex-military special-ops paratrooper and a welcomed addition recruited by Rogers to help fight the good fight. Mackie fits comfortably among the cast of veteran actors and should play nicely with the other Avengers.

Enhanced for combat and strength, The Winter Soldier's presence is terrifying when it comes to any action scene. Sebastian Stan does an amazing job holding his own against his targets and those who get in his way of his missions. My only gripe is that it is not explained how he obtains the immense power and skills he beholds. The connection between Rogers and The Winter Soldier is dealt with true care and excels the story of Captain America from the first film brilliantly. (Be sure to stay after the credits for a nice button leading into Captain America 3.)

The Winter Soldier is not just a fantastic sequel to Captain America: The First Avenger and The Avengers, it should also be recognized as one of the best sequels ever made. In fact, writers Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely, the duo behind Thor: The Dark World, the Narnia Trilogy, and The First Avenger, have done such a great job shaping Captain America's story that this movie could almost stand on its own. There are many exciting twists and turns in this well-constructed, political action-thriller, but nothing comes as more of a shock than how important the story is at defining the direction of the MCU. What takes place in The Winter Soldier, along with an awesome mid-credits sequence tie-in, will inherently influence Avengers: Age of Ultron as well as Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. – which should make the TV series a lot more interesting and reward fans who have stuck by its side.

Tonally, The Winter Soldier is the darkest story we've come to encounter, raising many deep-seated questions about government and soldiers of war while also taking Rogers on an emotional journey. It also has the best action choreography among all of the MCU movies thus far. Whedon's NYC battle in The Avengers is beautifully shot and written, but cannot compare to the hard-hitting set pieces found in The Winter Soldier, each building up to the bigger whole. The Russo brothers come from a background of directing television comedies such as Arrested Development and Community, and it's extraordinary how well they handle a big budget action blockbuster from cinematography to pacing. They do infuse their own style of comedy with fun references and a cameo other than Stan Lee, functioning properly within the confines of the tone and story. Henry Jackman (Captain Phillips; Wreck-It Ralph; X-Men: First Class) also composes an adrenaline pumping score that sets the right mood every time.

The biggest fault found in The Winter Soldier is that it does not address the whereabouts of other heroes or where we are in terms of the time line of the other movies. Why can't Captain America call on Tony Stark to help him out or even Hawkeye who is a member of S.H.I.E.L.D. himself. This is a recurring problem we have seen throughout Phase 2 of the MCU in Iron Man 3 and Thor: The Dark World. Marvel Studios needs to acknowledge this hiccup if they want us to continue to believe all of these characters live in the same universe together. You cannot exclude these characters once you have opened Pandora's Box.

Marvel Studios has hit this one out of the ball park with yet another gripping adaptation for fans to enjoy for years to come. By and large, Captain America: The Winter Soldier succeeds on all fronts. It is the perfect set up for future films and at the same time it increases the value of its predecessors. There is little to argue against its merits and should be regarded as one of the greatest superhero movies of all time.
376 out of 513 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
one of the best in the whole mcu universe
engahmfik16 November 2020
One of the best in the whole MCU universe very good drama and story beside the MCU fantasy and action
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A wonderful thriller, conspiracy and adventure that delivers a great great film
fear_da_fro_bro21 March 2014
This film is simply exceptional in every way. The edge it has is delivering the best, grittiest action the genre has ever scene and characters that are as complex as the are fun. Why do I say that? Well...

What I love about the character is that Steve Rogers has "I'm-a-man-out- of-time issues" but he's comfortable with the chaos that it brings. In acclimating himself to this century he is at his best. Yes, most people would be overwhelmed but because of who he is and where he's from, he's able to cope and adapt. The serum that gives him his physical edge also gives him a mental boost. It's his emotions that are raw and unaided. Time has passed since Avengers so we don't get to see his day to day amazement and adjustment. I'm glad they skipped that stuff. What we do see is the man who once represented America and has become alien to America and it's slanted values. The passage of time. Add those struggles to a full blown conspiracy film and what results might just be the best film released all year long.

Steve Rogers is basically a John Wayne American. The world shifts to him and it's his job to tell everybody "Here's they way things should be done." We saw that in Avengers and even the first film after he gathered his Howling Commandos. Now, the powers that be are a lot more flexible in terms of loyalties and how they're going to get certain jobs done. How he handles this century's gray morality is at the heart of the film.

Like most men from the 1940's, Steve keeps things to himself and keeps his emotions bottled up. (EX: the first film when he mentions his mother dying of TB and he was even embarrassed when Peggy found him mourning alone for Bucky) So, bringing The Black Widow in to this film gives him someone who is going to draw out his story, because he's never going to offer it up of his own accord. Natasha learns from him. Fury learns from him. Sam Wilson learns from him. Yet, they all give him something in return. Every character used is utilized perfectly and smartly. Falcon for example, is not in awe of the legend of Captain America. This is exactly what Steve wants in a friend and in a fellow soldier, to not have to be Captain America. Everyone fits perfectly in to the plot and allows access to different beats, tones and emotional depth. Yes, conspiracy thrillers need depth and this one has it.

Captain America is probably the only superhero left in this world of the reboot who is singularly heroic. He doesn't have this dark existential quandary like other reinventions. Plugging that resolute goodness into a morally complex story means he doesn't question what he believes, but he questions whether anybody else does anymore. He doesn't question his foundation but he questions where he has ended up and what his role must now be. The conspiracy element and structure of this story helps in that Captain America is not up on a pedestal being self righteous, he's in a corner and that makes you want to root for the guy. He believes in what he's doing and the viewer is along for a great ride sharing that belief.

Marvel movies usually establish character early. This one starts out fast but it's got a lot of character in it. The first act packs a punch but does it laying the groundwork for a remarkable third act. They take time showing the issues and you immediately empathize with Steve. Giving us good character depth means the action delivers more punch. And the action here is beyond great. This movie absolutely punches you in the face in the best way possible. The action has advanced a lot from the first film. How he now operates in the world and kicks butt is all very impressive.

So, this is probably Marvel's grittiest movie and it's also their best sequel to date. There's a dash of humor but there's mostly a wonderful thriller, conspiracy and adventure that delivers a great great film.
436 out of 635 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014) Review - 8.7/10
sammielimehouse12 December 2020
Definitely one of the best sequels in the entire MCU. It's everything you would expect and everything you could every ask for in a Captain America sequel. There's nazis, HYDRA, Nick Fury faking his freaking death, and action. Lots of fantastic Marvel action. This isn't just one of those films that are just 95% action, 5% storytelling, one of the things this films does best is balancing story with action. For example, the Winter Soldier and Steve have some of the best fights in the MCU, but whenever Steve finds out who the Winter Soldier is, it becomes not only an amazingly choreographed fight, but also an emotional one. In conclusion, this is the first truly great MCU sequel.
The Russos raise the bar
mahmus13 October 2020
With The Winter Soldier, the Russo brothers upped the action, the violence, the emotion and the cuts per action scene in a way that would make them the leading force of MCU goodness.

I love how it evolves Cap's character from a likeable but simplistic patriot hero to a more complex hero who comes to realise his country isn't as great as he first thought, something he would have probably realised even if HYDRA didn't infiltrate SHIELD.

It's a great movie and one of the most important in the series, even if most of the bug changes to the universe didn't fully stay, they still left a mark.

Also, Danny Pudi has a cameo. Cool, cool cool cool.
MCU AT ITS BEST
alcantaraj-1659416 June 2020
The Russo brothers' debut Marvel film, "Captain American: The Winter Soldier," is one of the MCU's best films, proving that producer Kevin Feige made the right choice in chosing the duo to direct some of the franchise's future installments
Fantastic story
v-9431717 March 2020
We need this kind of people like captain America to convey justice,kindness and love.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another great film in the MCU
MR_Heraclius23 February 2020
I always thought Captain America was a corny "golden age of comics" superhero that had long passed his expiration date. I was shocked by how much I liked him in his first film. I was delighted to grow to like him even more in this one. They set up the character beautifully in the first movie, but he explodes as a hero here. It's hard to fault the character or this movie. Not just the MC, but the whole cast was well written and acted here. The action is well directed and tense. Battles feel much more real than most Marvel battles. There was much less obvious CGI than most films in the franchise, and it pays off. This is one of the best Marvel films to date. Lightning in a bottle. A highlight in the MCU.
62 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pure Awesomeness
Sahl_9525 March 2014
Went into the movie not expecting much as I felt that the first Captain America was one of the weaker movies in Phase one of the Avengers. However, this movie was one of the best of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

First off, the action and fight scenes in the movie are just awesome and there is plenty of action to keep you entertained throughout the entire movie. There is also enough humour to balance all this. The characters all had their own amazing moments and the acting is decent as well. You get to see more of Nick Fury, and he was awesome in this. Black Widow is used much more in this movie and as well as being badass, she brings out more of the Captain's story. Sam Wilson (the Falcon) is great and is involved in some great action scenes. The villains in this movie were awesome as well.

Quite enjoyed the story as well. There were a few twists; some unexpected, some expected. And the reveal of the unexpected twists in the final third were epic. The story is not just about Captain America and the Winter Soldier, there are darker forces at play and causes the Captain to ask dangerous questions.

This movie is very entertaining, the story is decent, the ending is awesome and satisfying and I would recommend watching this. Makes for a decent political thriller as well. This will easily be one of my favourite movies.
357 out of 534 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliant film!
doomas1027 March 2014
Now "The winter soldier" is everything a Captain America movie should be. While it maintains some of the humour that now has become the trademark of Marvel films, TWS is way more serious than all of them combined. And this is truly where the film feels so brave and yes different than any other superhero flicks that we have seen.

Which brings me to the most important point, the plot. While of course it is not going to be the most original or complicated film of the century, there is the basic screen writing elements that so much lack from modern day blockbusters. You have the (likable) characters and a mystery they need to solve along with a racing clock. It reminded me the 70's political paranoia thrillers (3 days of the Condor - another Redford link, The parallax view, Z) and it is a welcome tone that makes the WS to differentiate itself from the rest. There are strong scenes regarding political fear, control, and information manipulation but it never feels bloated or overbearing. the purpose is to entertain even if it manages to squeeze through a bit of political views with Rogers replacing the viewer's voice on screen. At one point there is a talk about who is who which results in every man for himself mayhem in one of the most interesting sequences that you may see this year. We do not get this stuff these days!

Besides the charged plot, the introduction of new characters and the mega mayhem in the streets of Washingthon DC, the Russos have found time (and they should bloody do since TWS is 2 and a half hours long!) to inject some sentiments in the proceedings - a visit to Peggy, a confrontation with Fury regarding SHIELDs actions, Bucky's memory recall, Natasha's kissing talk. They could have easily skip these "crap" but instead the extra running time feels adjusted and coherent with a bit of more characterization which results to bring us closer to the on screen counterparts.

However, the action is what took me by surprise. The bar has been set higher now. It is truly unbelievable to think that these two directors (of the "Community" fame) came with such inventive ways of using Cap's shield. Finally, the shield gets to be seen in all of its glory. In addition, all the fist fights (and they are many) are excellent examples and putting the glasses to the school of frantic edit (which I truly despise) with varied and rapid choreography. A terrific elevator fight sequence probably stands out as truly memorable whereas the encounters with the Winter Soldier never feel repetitive. The Russo brothers keep changing the game from stealth and cloak missions, to car chases, to gun fires, to dog fights, to fist fights. There is something for everyone here and it is arguably among the finest I have seen. Impressive considering their credits. Real stunt work (backflips, wrestle moves, somersaults, etc), real fights and it is a pleasing sight to go away from superhero duels of the Avengers, Thor and Iron man. These characters rely on instincts and bullets. No more and no less and most of them do have some brutal moments for a PG-13 film (and blood too).

The actors are absolutely brilliant in their roles. While Evans came out as a bit arrogant in the "Avengers" and the least interesting character, here he truly shines. First time ever, I actually bought what he was bringing on the table. This is a soldier who believed in protecting the people and their freedom. Here though, in the modern era of espionage with multiple intrigues and political events, he finds himself unable to identify which side he is on and for what. At one point he even considers himself Fury's caretaker of terrorist "problems". The other side of the coin is Samuel Jackson's Nick Fury and Robert Redford's Alexander Pierce. It is nice to see Jackson expanding his role from 1 minute cameo in "Iron Man" to a fully supporting actor here. But the real standout is Robert Redford. Kevin Feige (the producer) probably knows how to do casting because so far there has not been a single acting mistake. Bringing heavy-acting-weight Redford to a superhero film is actually a bold move and while most movies do not focus on the talented cast, here the Russo brothers give Redford plenty of close ups and necessary gravitational dialogue that kept surprised me for a "summer" and "mindless" blockbuster. Antony Mackie plays Falcon believably enough and it is very good to see a great supporting turn instead of being the comedic sidekick. The winter soldier now himself is as you would have expected? probably the best villain outside Loki(!) in the marvel films. A truly unstoppable and cool killing machine that shows no remorse or regret considering his complete disregard (and destructive) actions throughout the film. Shaw manages to bring a bit of menace to a generally light hearted series of fantasy films as he has to act more with his eyes rather than sharing any scenes of actual dialogue.

Is it perfect? Of course not but it does not feel that it is drugging forever or raising any boring flags. There is plenty of plot, intelligence and sweet characters moments to keep anyone satisfying. This is blockbuster at its finest, a superhero film with heart, immersive action and subtle touches of humour. Totally recommended.
299 out of 453 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Snowpiercer.
morrison-dylan-fan29 November 2020
During the break I took between The Avengers (2012-also reviewed) & Captain America: Civil War (2016-also reviewed) from seeing any MCU films,this was the entry I kept hearing about,and was the most intrigued about viewing someday. Catching up with all the MCU films that I've missed on Disney+,I got set to finally encounter the soldier.

View on the film:

Drawing their first issue of the MCU, co-directors Joe and Anthony Russo team up with cinematographer Trent Opaloch to make a splash by welding the flawless CGI with white-knuckle hand-to-hand combat sequence, placed in narrow locations such as lifts to give a up-close perspective to the ground and pound attacks.

Throwing Captain America's shield across the screen, the Russo's cross the pristine shine of the CBM with the glossy anxiety atmosphere of a Thriller, thanks to ultra-stylised arc shots bleeding The Winter Soldier across the panels of the screen,which sets off rapid whip-pans towards Captain America having to outwit his own side.

Mentioned by the two main leads afterwards that they were allowed to improvise some of their dialogue, the screenplay by MCU regulars Christopher Markus & Stephen McFeely frees up the film from the back issue weight which had caused Iron Man 2 (2010-also reviewed) to be a challenging production, to instead thrillingly focus on Steve Rogers finding his wholesome ideals of the Govt, to become increasingly tainted.

Departing from the fantastical baddies of the past MCU titles for something more grounded in Project MKUltra and NSA programs, the writers thrillingly place Rogers and Black Widow (a wonderful Scarlett Johansson, who combines Widow's deadly action moves with a playful quick- witted edge) in a system seeping with paranoid corruption,where the reverberation of the Hydra terrorist organisation of the 1940's remain in motion.

After bringing him in on the great Captain America: The First Avenger (2011-also reviewed) Chris Evans gives a terrific turn as Rogers,thanks to planting a seed of doubt in Rogers life-long belief of who is good and evil,as Captain America comes in from the cold to take on The Winter Soldier.
Best MCU Movie
abhisheksingh-3487311 November 2020
This is the best MCU movie i have ever watched. I like all the fighting scenes and storyline.
Greatest MCU standalone movie
ctoguy-4654417 October 2020
2014 is the best year not just for MCU so far, but for Marvel. The action sequences are AMAZING! The plot is well-done, and the villain is great. The Avengers is great, but it is overrated. This movie exceeds it.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Probably my favorite movie ever
harpertastic21 August 2020
I LOVE this movie!!! I think all the action/ fighting scenes were very well choreographed, and I liked how they didn't have to overly cut and crop the scenes to make the fighting look more real. There was also some subtle foreshadowing I enjoyed while re-watching it. I might be a bit biased because I'm a Captain America fan, but I would say this is the best movie Marvel has ever made. I've watched it over and over again. 10/10 would recommend.
On your left,,,
reddiemurf818 August 2020
At the time this came out, it was without a doubt the best movie to come out of the MCU. I look forward to seeing more from the Russo bros.

While I thought the First Avenger was an incredible piece of work, this sequel is even better.

So go watch it!!!
On your left
MAYESY-4430 June 2020
I can't rave about this film enough! This is one of my favourite MCU films period. Great story line and the real start of getting this universe going. Great moments with Finding our Buckie is winter solider, Fury faking his death and coming back with his secret eye and the introduction of Falcon. This film is amazing.
Best Made MCU Film
ZuhayrRoha26 June 2020
The start of the Russo Era. This movie is highly ranked among MCU fans(mostly No.1), yes I do agree it is the best made MCU film, its just isn't my favourite.

The action is spectacular, the hand to hand combat between Steve and Bucky was top notch choreography. They kept wide shots and less cuts, and in day light, we can clearly see all their moves. Action wise, this is the best in MCU but personally I don't weight action as much as I wait other factors.

The story is also great, nazi-hyder still lying around in Shield was a great twist. Hyder never leaves Captain America. The Bucky twist also feels natural, brings a relationship element with the main villain. The flashbacks and past film does the job to set it up.

Russo's got Natasha so right, she shined throughout the film, her action sequence were the most bad-ass female fight I have ever seen (right below Kill-Bill). She actually felt like a former deadly assassin of KGB, Scarlet Johansson played her well.

Samuel L Jackson completely solds Nick Fury, his car sequence was great. His with his classic wits are spinkled all over the film. But his return from death was a let down. I hate when characters come back from death. His lines 'Last Time I trusted someone, I lost an eye' , ' You need to keep both eyes open' were fantastic but sadly Captain Marvel happened.

Addition of Sam Wilson was great, he brings the more organic feel to the film. His running gag of 'On your left' got better with Endgame. He isn't a perfect soldier but a good man, deserves the Captain America Mantle.

Chris Evans sells as the patriot Steve Rogers, his characters arc progresses and we see him getting more further away from patriotism, doubting the government and agency (Shield/Hyder). ' This isn't freedom', and his speech at the end in Shield Headquarters was inspiring.

I will never forget the lift scene, the comedy is more subtle and feels more mature. The movie could be called a political thriller. But this also has a very cliché ( most clichést thing in my book), saving brainwashed friend by reminding him of past greatness. The final action sequence was good but getting chips into ships to disarm them, felt cheap in relation to other great bits. Hyder killing all people just like any other villain would, isn't something new, the movie spent good quality time to connect the villain's tyreny to heros' in humane level but failed to connect why Hyder will go this big now. The movie's third act could have stayed more grounded just like the rest to the film.

I highly respect the script and direction of the film, I just haven't seen it 50 times to love this film as much as I love the other once.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's smart, intense, well acted and superbly done. AMAZING FILM!
bobochildrunningwild30 March 2014
I'd have to rate Captain America The Winter Soldier as one of the best comic book movies ever made. It is as close to a perfect movie as you can get. Superman has generally held the title as most fondly remembered or nostalgic superhero film even though it has some campy flaws. Spider- Man has generally held the title as most beloved superhero film because of the character. Iron Man has generally held the most grounded and well liked superhero film. The Avengers has generally held the title as most highly rated and best film the genre has seen. Well, Captain America TWS can compete with them all in every category. It is IMO near perfect on every level. It's smart, intense, well acted, fun and superbly done.

The first film delivers a lot of action, a tantalizing and beautiful love interest, many humorous moments, powerful messages about internal fortitude and courage, a classic villain, fine acting and many of the basic essentials of any good action movie. This sequel adds an intriguing plot and does everything the first film did but does it BETTER. Including, incredible stunts, unbelievable feats and, not to be rude, but a climax that plays out like a multiple orgasm. The finish features one wave after another of edge of your seat moments. As fantastic of a movie that's ever been made in the genre and I'm not exaggerating one bit.
96 out of 143 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
YJLcool27 March 2014
Captain America: The Winter Soldier is the third film in Phase 2 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe (after last year's Iron Man 3 and Thor: The Dark World). Compared with the mighty giant green monster, the hammer wielding Norse thunder god or the 'genius, philanthropist, billionaire, playboy' armor man, the Captain was never quite as appealing as the rest of the 'Unusuals'. Steve Rogers is portrayed as an old-fashioned, straightforward, honest, courageous, sincere, patriotic superhero. This makes him a less-interesting, boring character. Moreover, as Tony Stark said it, "Everything special about you came out of a bottle!"

Most film-goers would know that Marvel films are famous for its bright, fun and not-so-serious approach to its storytelling, together with some catchy, witty dialogues. This film is a game changer in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. This time around, Marvel decided to take a different approach on things: To make a Captain America sequel with a more serious, darker plot development and more face-to-face close-range hand combat fights. What should have been a typical superhero film, now becomes a conspiracy-espionage thriller.

Two years after the events that happened in New York city, the Captain still struggles with adjusting himself to the modern world, with no apparent social life or girl friend, which is why Natasha/Black Widow tries to introduce or recommend him some cute girls in S.H.I.E.L.D. for him to date with. He is shocked when he learns that the very governmental organisation he is working for is not what it seems to be, as the Cap said in the trailer, "This isn't freedom. This is fear". Soon, he finds himself entangled in a conspiracy that puts millions of innocent lives at risk.

The film comes with excellent, fast-paced action choreography. Although the cinematography is a bit dodgy due to the shaky-cam techniques used for depicting the chaotic moments, the fight scenes between the Winter Soldier and the Captain is fantastic and serves as one of the film's highlights. The audience finally gets to see how the Captain's shield is utilised effectively in both offensive and defensive combat situations. It also good to see again how Natasha kicks ass in the film.

All actors delivered a pretty decent performance in the film. Once again, Chris Evans and Scarlett Johannson both proved that they fit their roles well, adding more depth to the characters they portray in the film. Sam Wilson/Falcon is a welcome addition to the Marvel franchise and hopefully he will appear again in the Avengers sequel. Unfortunately, despite the film's title, the winter soldier is not a complex villain and doesn't appear much in the film. It's such a shame to just show him as a formidable physical fighter who's capable of challenging the Captain.

The film is well-scripted, filled with suspense while highlighting some important socio-political issues such as government surveillance and control in its storytelling. Although the twists in the film is predictable and fairly easy to guess, the sequel is a marked improvement compared to its predecessor, Captain America: The First Avenger. The story unfolds gradually and comes with huge, surprising developments by the end of the film. Marvel Cinematic Universe is not going to be the same again. What's going to happen next? How the story is going to progress in Avengers: Age of Ultron, after what had happened in this film? Interesting.

Rating: 8.5/10

http://yjcool.blogspot.com/2014/03/movie-review-captain-america- winter.html

Be warned. This is not the typical fun, 'not-so-serious', entertaining Marvel film that you used to watch in the past. You might like it or find it a bore. In order to recognize some of the characters in the film, you need to remember some of Marvel's Phase One films. Most importantly, you need to watch Captain America: The First Avenger before watching this to understand the plot.

Note: Guess you don't need me to remind you to stay for the mid-credit and post-credit scenes. It foreshadows what's going to happen next by introducing a lesser-known supervillain and two new characters, 'Miracles' (another name for 'mutants' because of screen rights issues) which going to be in the Avengers sequel, Age of Ultron. It further confirms that one of weapons depicted in The Avengers is indeed one of the six infinity stones.
170 out of 262 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Marvel makes a bold move!
abhishek-upadhayaya23 March 2014
Marvel showed pretty clearly in Iron Man 3 that they are not afraid to take risk, bend comic stories and venture into unknown territories. I was pleasantly surprised by Captain America : The Winter Soldier because Marvel is able to do surprise audience like never before. This movie has mostly everything a fan could ask for. A political drama, conspiracy theories, Chris Evans portrayal of a "out of his time" superhero who is trying to blend in with the world and thinks that "Internet is helpful", typical Marvel's laugh out loud moments and above all some mesmerizing action sequences. Threat in this movie is not as big as the one in Thor :The Dark World since only our tiny planet is at stake rather than entire 9 realms with imaginative difficult to pronounce names, but thanks to some very smart blend of direction, acting and close to perfect background scores, threat seems to be much bigger and more importantly, real this time. You actually care for the fate of entire planet and characters. You do come face to face with the full potential of SHIELD and its structure, its influence on world politics and when the actual villain is revealed, you just cannot hide your excitement. SHIELD acts as a central character in the movie and shows itself to be far bigger and complex than what we suspected after watching all the Marvel offerings. There is Nick Fury as usual hiding secrets, keeping secrets and digging secrets but watching him vulnerable in this movie is much better than watching him acting all almighty in Avengers. Chris Evans shine in this role and I can imagine he won't be at the bottom of favorite Avengers list after this movie. His portrayal of Captain America is near perfect. Scarlett Johansson is a surprise package in the film portraying Black Widow character. She gets ample screen time presence this time, even in scenes where she is not kicking someone. It is actually the first time we learn something about Black Widow, duplicity in her character just adds tension to the already built suspense in the movie. Sebastian Stan is good in his portrayal of winter soldier. He is a perfect nemesis to Captain America in the movie. I bet you haven't seen such creative combat scenes between these two ever before. Action here is not as loud as Thor movies, it is more real, every bullet which find its target hurts, every punch delivered matters, it is so enjoyable to watch just because it is so real. I wish I could write about some more characters but that will be giving away some key points. Please be assured there are some great character comebacks, some you expected, some you didn't. I was a little let down by the climax of the film by its simplicity after the real motive of the real villain is revealed, but of course you have to remember its a Marvel film, there doesn't exist any situation alien/political/social which can't be solved by few explosions and kicks. Overall it's a highly entertaining film from Marvel, I will put it behind only Avengers and first Iron Man, this movie deserves your weekend. And of course it goes without saying, don't dare to leave your seats until last credits have rolled out, you have probably all heard the rumors about Joss Whedon directing the end credit scene. Yes it is awesome and offers an insight into the next Avengers movie.
195 out of 306 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
very good
yuzou-4581519 March 2020
This sequel was repositioned as a spy action movie with great success. The melee combat is very good. The story is closely related to the first episode and accelerates the progress of the Marvel Universe. , Overall, at least ten times better than the first one.
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.