Person of Interest (TV Series 2011–2016) Poster

(2011–2016)

"Did we win, did we lose?"
k-golpayegani26 April 2017
"You are being watched. The government has a secret system, the machine that spies on you every hour of every day. I designed the machine to detect acts of terror, but it sees everything, violent crime involving ordinary people. The government considered these people irrelevant. We don't. Haunted by the authorities, we work in secret. You can never find us, but victim or perpetrator if your number is up we'll find you!"

Person of Interest is a crime-thriller TV-show about a billionaire computer programmer, Harold Finch played by Michael Emerson, who invents a computer system for the U.S government with the capacity of collecting and examining every possible source of information with the purpose of identifying and predicting planned subversive attacks. However though, this positive action lasted until a competitor entered the game that kick starts a surveillance program and manipulates people in opening their lives to the public – to be controlled with ease. Harold Finch selects John Reese played by Jim Caviezel to investigate and operate on the information that The Machine delivers. They both get some deep contacts in the NYPD where Detective Carter and Detective Fusco are a helping hand to their investigation.

The TV-series was made based on a well-written scenario created by Jonathan Nolan with the suitable choice of actors who were Jim Caviezel, Michael Emerson, Kevin Chapman and Taraji P. Henson.

Selecting Michael Emerson for the main role in the series based on his unique and remarkable past made his appearance distinctive and extraordinarily attractive. Jim Caviezel who plays John Reese, the presumed dead Special Forces type who lives on the streets when we first see him, contributes to how compelling Jonathan Nolan together with J. J. Abrams created the crime-thriller.

The show contained of 5 seasons and it was obvious that the 5th season was going to be the last of the remarkable TV-show. There were a lot of reviews of this TV-show and surprisingly many viewers based on the fact that Person of Interest re-worked the essential mystery genre in an unusual way. Amazingly, Person of Interest is more of a stalking and not considered detective work: There are no clues in Person of Interest, nor are there any mysteries to tease out.

Person of Interest kicked off its fourth season with an action packed episode that gave us hope for the future of Team Machine fighting with Samaritan, but revealed some of the challenges it will face. Season 4 was a decent demonstration of the show's charms: some action, some humor, some high-tech intrigue and an assemble of actors who seem to be having fun and whose characters actually seem to care for one another.

The ending of the 5th season was really catchy to a high degree and many described the ending of the last season as "where men cried" and compared to the last scene of the seventh sequence of the Fast & Furious movie.

"If you can hear this, you're alone. The only thing left of me is the sound of my voice. I was built to predict people. But to predict them, you have to truly understand them. So I began by breaking their lives down into moments, trying to find the connections, the things that explained why they did what they did. And what I found was, the moment that often mattered the most, the moment you truly found out who they were, was often their last one."
59 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You are being watched, the machine.
kuashie15 November 2014
This is a cleverly made series with a kick ass plot, interesting acting and character and a very bad-ass hero. This series keeps you at the edge of your seat throughout, since its concept broadens the paths the series can take.

The premise of the show is kept intact unlike some other shows that are too afraid to stick to premise. Past and present events are placed well and strategically thus leaving no room for plot holes. There are a lot more good parts to it, but I leave it here.

Season 1 is good, season 2,3,4 are better. This show is definitely worth you time because it is delivered in every kind of flavor.
112 out of 119 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An action thriller with substance.
johnnymacbest27 September 2011
From the opening moments of "Person of Interest" I was gripped like wet rope from beginning to end. This is because JJ Abrams and Jonathan Nolan, a successful collaboration at best, delivers thrilling action in both it's plot and action scenes. But what I like most about this series is it's exploration of the post-911 world of NYC and the "surveillance State" which is so plausible that it's frighteningly disturbing. Though admittedly vague, more will be explained in future episodes in further detail.

Jim Caviezel is likable as an action hero. He brings a cold as steel demeanor but also has heart. An ex-government agent whose past has yet to be explored along with partner Mr Finch(played wonderfully by Michael Emerson) they set out to save soon-to be-victims of crime from unknown assassins and vile figures of high society by way of a machine that can predict future crimes. Despite similarities with Minority Report, it's much more grounded in reality and makes it more compelling as to the nature and mystery of the technology behind it. But I've a feeling that's just scratching the surface as to the true nature of it's purpose.

Speaking of Caviezel, the fight scenes have an almost film-like quality flair to them as well as the dialog. I find nothing of fault from the writing as it's backed by superb talent of Jonathan Nolan. His work on The Dark Knight is proof of that and that is what makes this show work.

Person of Interest is a smart, taught, action thriller with substance that is brimming with excitement and dangerous, tense intrigue, and nail-biting suspense.
275 out of 307 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I was pleasantly surprised!
Right-Wing-Man25 September 2011
I tuned in not expecting much, and what I got was priceless enjoyment.

Michael Emerson, well, what can I saw, the guy is a brilliant actor, for "Lost" fans he will not disappoint. You just can never take your eyes off of John Reese and Mr. Finch.

The storyline is cool as well, it kind of has a "24" vibe going on but with it's own innovative twists and turns.

Good writing and of course Jonathen Nolen and JJ Abrams are pretty much golden at this point.

Thanks for a great effort, you've got a fan here and I hope this lasts many more seasons!
361 out of 406 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Realistic, Gritty, Fresh, AMAZING
MajorFilmFan12 October 2011
"Person of Interest" is the brainchild of Jonathan Nolan, the brother of director Chirstopher Nolan. Jonathan wrote the screenplays for Christopher's movies "Memento", "Batman Begins", "The Prestinge", "The Dark Knight", as well as the upcoming "The Dark Knight Rises", and "Man of Steel", which Christopher is producing. But, back to "Person of Interest". John Reese (Jim Cavezil. OK, I did NOT spell that right. It's the guy that played Jesus in "Passion of the Christ", is a former government agent who experienced a tragic event in his past, and wants to conceal it from everyone. He is essentially homeless, but possesses some pretty impressive fighting skills. It's these fighting skills that make him noticed by two people: the first is an NYPD agent, Carter (Taraji P. Henson), who doens't really know who Reese is, and Reese doens't want to reveal anything to her. The other person is Finch (Michael Emmerson), a mysterious millionaire who was hired by the government after 9/11 to create a Big Brother like machine that would help save innocent people from being killed. But, eventually, the Machine began to take on a mind of it's own, and Finch took matters into his own hands, helping these people on his own, without the help of the government. It's this that leads him to Reese. He sees in Reese someone like him, a person who can't get over past tragedies, and it's those tragedies that are holding him back from being successful. Finch and Reese become somewhat of business partners, with Finch using Reese to find ways to save innocent people. But, sometimes, these people are not as innocent as they seem.

Johnathan Nolan has created a truly original show here. A gritty world filled with corrupt, and often complex characters. That's partially what makes this show so good. It's ORIGINAL. The world that it portrays may be unfaltering, and corrupt, but something about it feels REAL. You can relate to Reese, however, you don't know enough about Finch's mysterious past to really care about him. However, Michael Emmerson DOES portray this extremely strange and complex character in a way that makes him strangely likable. The action and fight sequences feel like something that belongs in a movie, particularly, one that Johnathan's brother, Christopher, would probably direct, and that Johnathan would probably write. This IS a VERY VERY good show, and it's one that will certainly surprise you.
328 out of 372 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Abrams' Genius meets Nolan's Class
aks55925 October 2011
With Jonathan Nolan and J.J. Abrams at the helm, I had great expectations from this show and it delivered in the best possible way. 'Person of Interest' is a sophisticated, intriguing, intense thriller with an exciting plot that kept me on the edge of my seat. After '24', this is probably the only show that stands out in this genre.

Jim Caviezel (Reese) plays an ex-CIA hit-man (which itself sounds cool) who is a tough guy but at the same time has strong feelings for his dead girlfriend which he tries to suppress. Michael Emerson, who we know as 'Benjamin Linus' from 'Lost', plays a scientist who hires Reese to do his dirty work. Emerson, who is known to play complex characters, keeps up his end of the bargain by giving a flawless performance. Even though the show has just began, I can see Jim and Emerson sharing great on-screen chemistry in the future (hopefully there is one).

There is a vast difference between writing a screenplay for a movie and a TV episode. But, that did not matter since, Johnathan Nolan, making his debut in the TV industry, had great help in the form of Abrams, who has been doing this day in, day out for so many years. Apart from the talented writing, the show also showcased some riveting action sequences, good editing and awesome visuals. The surveillance cam shots added another dimension to this show.

'Person of Interest' has a lot of potential and I would hate to see it become just another crime show. I hope it continues to impress and gets a renewal soon.
174 out of 199 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bring it back, POI far much better than any of the current shows
mkotemp21 April 2017
It almost one year after its final I still miss POI, almost everyday searching the news-feeds for any chance of revival, voting in Netflix and change.org sites, but still nothing. I want it back with all characters, not just the survivors of its heartbreaking final.

Together with Stargate SG1, POI is my most wanted series I want to see on air again.

I'm still watching some episodes just to feel good :) Please bring POI back.
26 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best new drama of the 2011 US shows
abecipriano1 November 2011
I've been totally addicted to this show ever since I watched the pilot a few weeks ago. James Caviezel is dark, brooding, yet calm and methodical when he's in action. Michael Emerson from Lost is also effective as the guy who invented the machine that predicts that violent crimes are about to happen.

It's an intriguing show. Closest plot that reminds me about this is Minority Report, but with a made-for-TV treatment that's still pretty damn good. Guest stars are also familiar to those who've watched Law & Order, CSI, etc., and are complementary. The cop trying to chase after him's a bit of a stretch but I guess they need something for continuity.

Worth recommending to those who want to hitch on a new action, mystery show that's very well-written and fantastic-paced.

Go watch it and you won't regret it.
167 out of 197 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's a show that honestly wants to be good...and succeeds at it
milesinchrist27 September 2011
So I don't have too many TV shows that I would say that I'm hooked on. I had LOST while it was on the air, and that was enough for me. Since that show ended, I've had a couple of shows that I've paid attention to, but none have ever really replicated the intensity and addictiveness of LOST. In fact, in those years, there have been shows that I have thought might have the "potential," but they all flopped and didn't get renewed. For this reason, I have a hard time when someone tells me a show is "the new LOST" or something to that effect.

The show that I'm writing about is not it.

Person of Interest is a new CBS crime drama that started airing last week. I didn't know much about it, but I saw that it had received some good reviews. I did some research and found it had some promise.

First off, it was created by two men named Jonathan Nolan and JJ Abrams. If you do not know who these men are, let me explain. JJ Abrams is the man behind LOST. That should be enough, but if you weren't a fan of that show (gasp!), then he also directed the recent Star Trek movie as well as this summer's Super 8. The other man is Jonathon Nolan. His brother is Christopher Nolan, who directed the last two Batman movies and is working on the third. Christopher directed them, but Jonathan Nolan wrote the screenplays. And he wrote the screenplay for Person of Interest.

Secondly, I noticed the cast. As I mentioned, one of the principal characters is played by Michael Emerson. I am of the opinion that Michael Emerson is one of the greatest actors on television. Benjamin Linus was such a complex, mysterious character and Emerson's acting really brought a lot to the show. The main character, however, is played by Jim Caviezel. I've liked this actor ever since he starred in 2002's The Count of Monte Cristo, but many people know him for playing Jesus in The Passion of the Christ. He's a phenomenal actor that is able to bring out the humanity in a character while at the same time portraying the raw nature of man. In other words, he can play a tough guy with a heart.

That being said, let's talk about the plot. The first thing that came to mind was "Minority Report." Both that movie and this television show are about preventing homicides before they happen. However, as the episode progressed, I thought nothing of that movie, as while the premise is not an original idea, here it is presented in a way that does not seek to imitate. Whereas "Minority Report" was about a futuristic "utopian" society in which crime is prevented through precognition, "Person of Interest" is more realistic and less science fiction. It takes place in present day New York City, a city still living in paranoia after the attacks of 9/11. Without spoiling much of the pilot, the premise is based off the massive security and surveillance undertaken by the government, and what would happen if that system were able to identify potential murderers and murder victims before a situation occurred.

It's obviously inspired by several other films and television shows. However, it doesn't seem like it, and from the direction to the acting to the writing, it's clear that this is a show that wants to stand on its own. It's not trying to be the next LOST; it's trying to be a good show. And personally, I think it'll succeed. It has the action, it has the plot twists, it has the suspense, and all the other things we expect out of a show like this these days. But beyond that, it has a passion behind it—which is what I think drew so many people to LOST, as well as other shows like Firefly and Arrested Development—that this is something that the people behind it want to see succeed and to be good.
243 out of 291 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Something new, something really good
sasazg-127 September 2011
Finally, something original. The whole premise of the show seems little bit strange at times, but it makes sense. It's something we haven't seen on TV in while. I like the actors that were casted for the show, Jim Caviezel looks good as an ex-CIA hit-man, his martial arts sequences are credible, he looks like he knows what his doing. Michael Emerson is perfect in his role, as an odd billionaire who is a genius. A strange team that solves strange cases, it has a mysterious vibe which is good, it has a JJ Abrams signature all over. Nice bounce back for him after the failure of The Undercovers last year.

Definitely, a show that deserves a chance, it could become a hit, I guess it all depends how the story unfolds beyond the opening episode.
127 out of 152 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Simply well done
tmcdaniel124 September 2011
It is hard to do something fresh or different in this genre. I've found, usually, it is either writing or chemistry that produces success. This show has both (at least in the pilot). Cav can carry the weight of holding one's attention for an hour. He's proved that in spades.

I see this (so far) as Bourne Identity meets Minority Report but, done in a lower key with Cav as the focus not Tom Cruise (that indicates a lower key right away!).

Storyline? Plausible. That's enough of a base for the rest of the team to do something special. If the other five episodes (currently sold) are as good as the pilot, I predict it will be a memorable season.

That doesn't mean it will run longer. We've all see very well done efforts that didn't make it past a season. They appear, years later, strung together like strings of pearls (on a cable channel).

Then we weep for for might have been. However, the quality effort will shine through always.

My fingers are crossed for more than one season. I think the ingredients have all been shown as being present. That is what scares me a bit. The networks have a habit of taking something this good and moving all over the schedule until they've lost its audience.

I hope this doesn't happen and I wish the team the very best of LUCK, because mere TALENT is only part of the recipe.
189 out of 233 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
the best series ever seen.i dint want it to end.
aryan-killer213 March 2017
sad to b over but its a best series i ever saw great acting solid plot just want more n more hope they make comeback, m glad i watch it mind blowing full of twists n turns wonderful best parts starts from season 3 just takes to another level with a fitting ending in season 5 i just hoped it to continue till season 10 i miss this great series badly HOPE IT MAKES A COMEBACK
17 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
best series I've ever seen
bwyg7 November 2016
I'm an old guy, seen a lot of TV series. This is the best I've come across, excellent actors, excellent writers, excellent camera work, excellent sound, etc.

But what makes it great is the sustained excellence of the scripts. The only thing that comes close is "Babylon 5" from the mid 1990s. But the suits screwed up the end of the arcs for Bab5 by not telling Straczynski when they were going to end it. So he had no real chance to end the series properly.

Not the case with Person of Interest. The last three eps. taken together as the end of the series are just amazing.

Thank goodness for a series that doesn't treat it's audience as if they are a bunch of unthinking 14 year old boys.
21 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
/i reely missed the show
scalermat4 August 2016
I've watched P.O.I more than once or twice ... and every time I've cried and cried a lot .

😭😭😭

I missed the show more than I've ever missed any thing .

I was kinda connected to it , feeling every moment of it ...😍 I was both sad and happy after the show ended , happy of seeing that how brilliant and creative it all was , even in the end and sad bc of there is end for every thing no matter how much we loved it ,

I just wanted to thank every one involved making this show and creating such a feeling for me and people like me .

really looking forward for spin off . 😉
10 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Engrossing and Evolving
skipperkd7 April 2016
Set in New York City in current time, this crime-drama series reflects cutting-edge technological advances and their ethical / legal constraints. Several contrasting positions are explored: the value of the "irrelevant" individual versus the safety/ security of the nation, the pros and cons of widespread surveillance cameras, the pros and cons — and possible emergence — of artificial intelligence, the best and worst aspects of a police force, and the nuances of organized crime leadership.

Themes include second chances and personal redemption, trust, privacy rights, humanity versus cold computers, terrorism, control, world domination, faith / religion, etc.

With underworld gangsters and corrupt cops in a huge city, I get a feeling of the current series Gotham. Or Batman. Detective Carter could be the good cop (Detective Gordon). Finch could easily be Alfred at the computers in the bat cave, and Reese could be Batman...or as Fusco says, Boy Wonder.

My response to the series: I grew to love it. It is clear to me that the authors had a plan in mind for the overarching plot line, creating strong threads that connect the singular episodes to a coherent and culminating narrative. I am always intrigued by the differing lenses by which the authors share various opinions on surveillance, privacy rights, and artificial intelligence. There is a good mix of action, sleuthing, dialogue, and humor. I wouldn't mind a little more bonding time with the poor beleaguered team — a chance to just relax together.

I love the characters. Having said that, it took me a while to get into this series, even though I liked the premise and adore Harold Finch. At first, the character John Reese did nothing for me. His voice and his personality felt monotone. His acting skills seemed weak, too.

But as the series progressed, and as John was given recurring teammates to interact with, I saw more humor and wisdom from him. Bringing the dog Bear into the series was a stroke of insight, as it allowed for numerous delightful mood-changing scenes. The transformation of Root's character also hooked my attention, along with her evolving relationship with humanity, with the machine, and with Finch. Fusco and Carter are not boiler plate police detectives. Each one has quite an interesting story. Shaw adds a fun element to the fight scenes, and makes for a great counterpart to John's stoicism. Excellent characterization.

I also like many of the secondary characters, including Leon the goof-ball expert in computer forensics, Zoe the attractive fixer, hackers/ coders Jason, Casey, Diazo, and Caleb, etc. I even found myself caring about some of the "numbers" that popped up for the weekly murder mystery POI.

The weakest character is Greer. As a villain, I don't know enough about his back-story. Why is he so thoroughly heartless? To answer that question, we only got some flashbacks in one episode, showing his disillusionment with British MI-6. We also hear a bit about his childhood in bomb shelters in London. Not enough info. And we still don't know who he reports to. Who is his boss -- his human boss?
10 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best shows I've ever seen
alissarios-10011 November 2016
This show is truly genius. It starts out as an intriguing procedural with the premise that a very intelligent man creates an all seeing AI and sells it to the government for protection against terrorist attacks. The "Machine" as they call it, separates the threats into two categories: relevant to national security, and irrelevant to national security. Horrified that the government couldn't care less about the irrelevant threats (everyday crime and murder) Harold Finch enlists John Reese to save peoples lives, but with a twist. The machine has been coded to only give a social security number in order to protect the public's privacy. Now Finch and Reese must save lives with limited information and keep the streets of NYC safe.

What I love about this show is that it gradually transitions from a crime of the week procedural into a serialized sci-fi drama about global Surveillance and government corruption. Other characters are introduced throughout the first and second season. Fusco and Carter as NYPD insiders, Root as the techno-zealot who the machine tags to be her analog interface, and Shaw as the tactically brilliant, and slightly sociopathic ISA operative gone rogue, who Reese and Finch add to their crime fighting team. As the show enters into season three, it seems to become a new show, with the addition of terrorist groups, another AI, government corruption and conflicts, with the heart of the show centered on the relationships the main characters have with each other and the sacrifices they must make to protect the world.

This show is a brilliant blend of action, drama, politics, sci-fi, and some very realistic, almost-romance, that will make you fall in love with the characters, and keep you on the edge of your seat until it's fantastic end. As it is the highest rated show on Netflix, I hope someday soon it is rebooted because it is truly a masterpiece. I would highly recommend it if you are in need of a new TV addiction that is appropriate for young teenagers as well.
20 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What's the word next to perfection? POI
rootsam13 July 2016
Story >> At the first season, the plot may seem repetitive. But mind you, it will take you to a series of roller coaster ride as it goes on. So, just give it time and being open-minded is a necessity. Some people may think of it as unrealistic, but if you look at it closely, it isn't at all. Everything about the show is portrayed realistically well and, without a doubt, a work of geniuses. Well, aside from the AI which isn't that unlikely to happen in the near future. I'm utterly amazed of how perceptive this show is and even the episode titles are meticulously decided, choosing computer terms and all. And what's great about this show is that it has a little bit of everything despite the crime/action genre. One moment, it gets serious and mysterious and then, put you on edge over the tight action. The next thing you know, you're definitely moved by the cheesy yet adorable moments. And then suddenly, you'll find yourself crying for the characters. And every now and then, you'll find yourself laughing because of the crazy sarcastic yet geeky punchlines.

Characters >> This is the greatest point of this show. It has badass and complex characters in an interesting way. The actors and actresses portrayed it really well and they're all good looking, so it's easy in the eyes. The character development for the main characters is well built unlike the other shows. They didn't remain stagnant; instead, you'll see them grow/change and, apparently, they'll grow on you. Everyone has great chemistry with each other that you'll feel the need for every crew; it won't be the same without one of them. On top of that, the romance really caught me by surprise and the build up is beautifully executed. It might put off some morally conscious people but, personally, I find it as the greatest and uncliched romance of all time.

Graphics >> It's exemplary. Most shows are either too vintage- looking or too modernized but not this show. It has a little bit of both that it's quite easy on the eyes and the transition is wonderfully done.

Sound >> It's pretty good but sometimes, it doesn't come out too strong when it needs to be.

Overall >> This is by far the best show I've ever watched. But, it is too good and it has scarred me real well that I can't seem to like anymore shows on TV.
20 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I give 11 for "Person of Interest" out of 10
lebell-172-5672001 February 2016
One thing I hate in it: it will be ended this year! The 'Person of Interest' is the best series I have ever seen. The full situation, the story the characters, the dramaturgy, even the Machine's eyes or Samaritan's eyes (the display of their cameras) are very realistic believable. OK, Reese and Shaw are a little bit too perfect killers (but not invulnerable – that's OK). And Root! – Root is a very nice autodidact one man CIA (nice on the second power :-) ), I laugh a lot of her sophisticated jokes! And Harold's character is fantastic! Smart, polite, intelligent, peaceable real genius – but when it necessary his mind is a blade which solves the issues like that of Alexander the Great's on the Gordian knot. He is a dream! And not to forget the main actresses, and actors, they are excellent, and were very good choices. Congratulations all of them! Hats off in front of them! (As the Hungarian says.) This series were getting better year by year and more exciting. So in the end I can say the same: One thing I hate in it: it will be ended this year. :-(
23 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Eat your heart out Sherlock and Watson
chiek-er18 March 2017
Mr Reese and Mr Finch is the unbeatable crime fighting vigilante pair in New York city. Every good vigilante should be billionaire with inexhaustible resources, played brilliantly by Michael Emerson as the nerdy technically brilliant brains in the pair. Not that the tall handsome man in the suit, Mr Reese (played by the most beautiful male actor, Mr Jim Caviezel)is not intelligent. It is Mr Reeses's deadly combat and weaponry skills that complements and completes the crime fighting pair. Each episode was a new story with an interesting character Reese and Finch must protect from danger or thwarted from committing harm to another.

Team Reese & Finch is aided by Carter and Lionel from the NYPD making the web of connections to add intrigue and excitement to the story.

A canine addition also joined the vigilante team in season two.
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another Tale of Good vs Evil
SteffyRose30 November 2016
As I began watching Person of Interest, I couldn't see how this show would reel me in and keep me watching day after day. I gave it a shot though and to my surprise, I fell in love with just about everything and everyone. You begin to follow a set of characters who are unique in very different ways. They all become friends and even more so family toward the end. Everyday new battles arise, morals are constantly challenged, and relationships are formed. It was fun and exciting going on the journey with Finch, Reese, Shaw, Root, and Lionel. I can't forget to mention Carter or Bear either. I highly recommend this show for those who enjoy suspenseful, action-packed, and subtle comedies.
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Show That Doesn't Get Its Due... But Deserves It !
Rossi21113 July 2016
Person Of Interest is not just the best genre shows of all time, but in general one of the greatest written television dramas of all time. Spare me your attempt to bury me in Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Wire, Mad Men, or Game Of Thrones messages. POI in its five classic, genre defining seasons, writing and acting wise deserves to be in that group... But because Emmy voters and high level critics in the industry frown upon shows like this, or never gave it a fair chance, it won't get that recognition that it so rightfully deserves.

On top of that, the amount of fans that selfishly turned their backs on the amazing show because either that didn't have the patience to stick it out the first two seasons, or they bitched when Amy and Sarah ( who are amazing ) joined and the show expanded into a surreal dystopian tale of our society, those fans disgust me. Just look at the recent 2-3 review post below mine claiming the ending to the shoe ( Return 0 ) failed or the show failed from seasons 3 to 4, and to 5. Fans like that don't deserve what this wonderful cast and crew presented to them.

At the end of the day if you have never seen Person Of Interest all the way through, do it now on Netflix, DVD, bluray, however ( Season 5 when its finally out on those platforms ). The first two seasons are good world builders that position everyone and everything. Seasons 3, 4, and 5 present the finished masterpiece. Don't let the 2 or 3 dumb reviews below mine tell you other wise, this is one of the greatest shows of all time that deserved better from critics, fans, its network, and the TV landscape in general.
17 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Person of Interest
aadilkhan-7983116 November 2016
I was felt bored and my colleague suggested me I tuned in but was not expecting much, and what I got was priceless enjoyment. I started it last week and now enjoying forth season, Remarkable and unbelievable story after Breaking Bad. I always felt that Jim Caviezel was a good actor who has gotten a raw deal since "The Passion." His best work was "Frequency," but I tell you what his acting in "Person of Interest" was excellent and now I'd have to saw this is his best work to date. If this is any indication, I really look forward to watching him more in the future.

13 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
POI, You are bring watched!
dtherats8813 February 2016
It started well. The concept was good. Acting was good. Characters and stories were good. And it would have stayed that way for five straight years and no one would have complained. But the creators never stopped thinking. New characters were perfect. New twists were perfect. The old characters grew. Chapman state vintage. The point here is, the series should have gone with Reese and Finch saving people every episode and still would have been good. The creators took it to another level. After second season they stretched their boundaries and boy they did good. Everything changes, and like it or not, everything still goes on. Having watched four seasons, I really appreciate the way this show tries to get better and give something new. Keep going.
13 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Begging for more after the first couple of episodes - a treat
david-basford322 May 2017
I love this series. It's a must watch in my opinion. Smart and doesn't assume the audience is stupid. But at the same time explains enough so that anyone can 'get' what is going on. There are issues - skilled protagonists when in previous employment could kill 5 people with 5 bullets but in later series when the number of combatants increase... both lose the ability to hit anyone with dozens (or hundreds) of bullets (at times) - all seems contrived to be hail of bullet battles when such people wouldn't do it like that (imo).

Still I'd give this a 5+ (if I could). An astounding bit of TV. And it ended at a time that was good - not a series that went on too long and ruined the story to do so. The series would have gone stale by series 6 or 7 I think.
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I Came Late to the Party but fell in Love with this Show!
sycamore_scribe12 June 2017
I'll open my review of the series by stating that this is my first review of a television show on this site. I'll also admit that I've read many reviews on here about the show, and I'm surprised that absolutely none of the reviews mentions the 11th character, the music. So, yes, my review will contain my thoughts on how the music was used on and helped shape, this show.

As my title to this review suggests, I was very late viewer (never watched it in its prime time slot until its 5th season) and I binged watched seasons 1-4 on Netflix. I had heard about the show, but never got around to viewing it live, and I believe that having watched the seasons without commercial interruption and hiatuses ultimately helped me get through season 1's uneven approach. My rating for season 1 is the series lowest, an 8.5. Seasons 2-5 I give a 10 which I think averages out to a 9 or 9.5/10.

I thought the casting on this show to be excellent from the series regulars to recurring roles (Absolutely loved Zoe, Paige Turco and Elias, Enrico Collitone) to featured victim/perp of the week. The acting in this show has some serious chops that supports the episode and series arcs.

I found the writing to be consistently excellent, particularly in the portrayal of women. It's rare to have fully fleshed out females characters on a show. They are usually reduced to being a love interest, a victim, or a villain. That the writers cared to give just as much backstory to the female leads as was given to the male ones makes me very satisfied. I also very much appreciated that there was a lot of agency, Carter, Shaw, Root, and Zoe were capable and formidable characters. Control was a fascinating opponent to Team Machine and while I did not like her character ending up in a deep hole somewhere once her eyes were fully opened to Samaritan's misdoings, it was a realistic ending. I so hoped for her character to come back in season 5 ... I think the philosophical and ethical questions raised in the series were its strengths as well as the continual development of the main character's backstories. I thought the writing grew stronger with each season, and I think season 5 suffered under a shortened episode count as well as a will they or won't they renew the series for another season. That left the writing team a hard task of trying up all of the threads as well as giving some sort of closure to the series should it not be renewed by the network. The writers cared about the audience. That's rare and I am thankful that they gave us an ending that could be taken forward or left as is. Of course Reese had to die, he knew that going in from season one that there would be no other way out for him. As for Carter being killed midway through season 3, of course I hated losing her. Henson's portrayal was moving and her character was the moral backbone to the show and for the team. From what I've read about the show, the actress wanted out of the series, and the writers handled it well. I loved that she came back in season 4 for a one-off with Reese and I thought it tied up any loose ends/questions viewers may have had.

On to the music. To the people who were in charge for selecting songs: WELL DONE! I cannot emphasize this enough. I haven't seen music used this well in a show since La Femme Nikita (USA network version) The development of the characters was enhanced with their themes by the composer. Soundtrack selections went from fun to gut wrenching. Some highlights: Using Johnny Cash's cover of NIN "Hurt" for Carter's funeral, the piano theme for Reese's final shootout, both of these songs left me in tears. Such an eclectic soundtrack from The Cars, to Nina Simone, to Pink Floyd and Radiohead. This show was an audiophile's wet dream!

To conclude, I will miss this show. I found it to be thought provoking and very much relevant to our ever increasing dependence on machines, and technology's increasing pull over our lives.
16 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.