The Informer (2019) Poster

(2019)

Strong crime thriller / drama
jeff-17941 September 2019
If you go into this expecting a $100 million action blockbuster you will be dissapointed. What this film delivers is a solid crime drama with some gritty and tense action scenes. A strong lead performance by Joel Kinnaman holds the story together and the film moves swiftly at a pace that never drags. If you want a film that gives you actual story over mindless hollywood CGI action, then give this one a chance.
161 out of 189 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I loved this most critics disliked it.
ib011f9545i4 September 2019
If I had read the critics I would have ignored this film.

I read a good review in The Sunday Express and went to see the film and liked it a lot.

I will give no plot spoilers but if you like tough but not dumb crime films you will like this one. It does not have the biggest budget or the biggest action sequences but it is a good film.

The plot is fine but the film also benefits from good locations and a talented cast.

See this if you get the chance I think you will be glad you did.
107 out of 136 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good old fashioned crime drama
mats_westerberg22 February 2020
If you're born in the seventies and miss how movies used to be like, you'll like this one.
63 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good Story and Suspenseful Ending
I was Surprised by how good this was. It doesn't feel like anything particularly special but it was a good watch.

Great Scene with the police surrounding the Building.
29 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best B-grade films I've seen!
Top_Dawg_Critic25 December 2019
I've never heard of this film, nor seen any trailers, so I wasn't expecting much and decided to give it a go since there wasn't anything I haven't already seen to watch. Well, wow!

I'm shocked at some of the negative reviews so far. It goes to show you that you can't please everyone. It's either too Hollywood-ish or not Hollywood enough lol.

Here's why I REALLY liked it; For starters, this is actor Andrea Di Stefano second ever attempt at directing and writing, and compared to some of the films that have come out lately - and from seasoned writer and directors, he nailed it. Was it flawless? No. But considering is wasn't a big budget Hollywood production with seasoned filmmakers and with all lead cast being A-listers, but instead a British-made B-grade film with newb filmmakers, this was produced exceptionally well and is a winner imo.

I found the story very realistic and un-Hollywood-ish, which is refreshing for a change. Sure this story has been done many times before, but this one felt authentic. The last time I saw this type of genre movie that surprised and impressed me, was Shot Caller.

Casting was perfect, with all leads playing their respective roles on point, especially Joel Kinnaman who nailed his character.

Cinematography was great, the score/sound was fitting, and the production/location sets authentic. My only critique would be the pacing needed picking up in some parts, and/or the 113 min run-time trimmed down at least 10-15 mins.

Aside from that, this was one of the best B-grade films I've seen, with its unpredictable plot turn at every corner, excellent central performances, all packaged really well by an newbie filmmaker. It's a solid 9/10 from me!

To see any of my 1000+ ratings and 700+ reviews, click on my username.
95 out of 125 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great acting, tight script, gritty
tobycross30 August 2019
What a nice change to get away from the 'typical' Holywood action flick and to get into a grittier, morally ambiguous, uncompromising drama. Rosamund Pike continues to prove what a great actor she is with a performance that echoes her character in Beirut. Joel Kinnaman gives a performance that is just as conflicted and compelling as Altered Carbon. Altogether a great cast that manages to build realistic characters. My only criticism of the script is the overly detailed explanation of fentanyl that Pike gives to her team on FBI agents - it's the only point where you feel the film patronises the audience. Other than that, a thoroughly enjoyable movie.
53 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gritty emotive crime thriller
muamba_eats_toast3 September 2019
An absorbing thrill ride of a crime thriller. Unlike some reviewers I actually found this well paced with enough twists to keep it interesting and a ruthless violent edge alongside the drama. Was tempted to even rate as a 9 until near the end but I just can't stand open endings to these things no matter how minor unless we know there'll be a sequel I just want to know how the story is resolved fully. Nevertheless one of the better thrillers of the year so far and well worth a watch.
65 out of 89 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
See it for yourself
neurocore1 October 2019
Great acting(wife could have been better), many intense moments and simple, believable script. All of us have seen at least one similar movie in our lifes so dont expect anything new as I do think this movie is just meant to make your heart pump faster.
55 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyable thriller
masonsaul4 September 2019
The Informer is an enjoyable and well made thriller, despite the generic plot and some predictable moments. Joel Kinnaman gives a great lead performance with good supporting performances from Common, Rosamund Pike, Clive Owen and Ana de Armas. It's also well paced with an intense fight scene and tense gunfight in the third act.
43 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A decent movie
gluonpaul7 September 2019
This is not normally my kind of movie but I quite enjoyed it. The characters all felt pretty realistic, the actors all did a decent job and the story was compelling.

It did feel a bit slow at points and I think maybe a little careful trimming could have done the film some good but even so it keeps you engaged and doesnt leave itself too open to easy prediction as you watch.

Worth a watch I would say.
32 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good film let down by an obvious and weak ending.
coombsstephen5 September 2019
If you have seen the trailer this film does what it says on the tin. It is a decent cop/bad guy film that is a little different in its storyline.

The film rattles along a decent pace and has some good scenes. There is some quite good suspense and action along the way as well.

Where the film is let down is the ending is just so clear, aside from a tiny twist, from about half way through the film and even then, when it happens it's quite a damp squib. There are also parts of the story that just don't stack up, which is a shame as it has good potential.
60 out of 94 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great crime thriller
koenbeerens-1518824 April 2020
Not perfect, but great movie overall. If at the end you have the feeling you're only 45 mins in, the movie did what it was supposed to do.

I could whine about some details not so plausible, but they never break the story. So great work for the whole crew.
15 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not a great deal of depth to this, but a strong lead performance makes it watchable.
CinemaSerf10 December 2019
At times, this is quite an engrossing crime drama about a convict who goes back into prison to help the FBI tackle a dodgy European drug lord and in so doing confronts his fair share of betrayal and authority corruption too. Joel Kinnaman holds this violent thriller together quite well but the rest of the cast really struggle to make much impact and it does dip in the middle somewhat. Somebody, somewhere, has clearly decided that Ana de Armas is one to watch - thus far in her career, however, the reasons why are escaping me and Rosamund Pike - even in "Gone Girl" - always seems a bit too detached to me; whatever her role.
15 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastic drama thriller
imdb-ikysmoviedatabase2 September 2019
If you like action films with good story plus good acting this is the one for you. Personally I really enjoyed this movie and I would go again to it.
50 out of 81 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good,tight,old-fashioned thriller.
mikekisil9 September 2019
Great, absorbing thriller with good guys, bad guys and guys somewhere in the middle. Sicario 2 was the last one that I enjoyed as much as this. It was like reading an Elmore Leonard story but without the humour. I understand that the UK did a good job of standing in for New York. What a surprise because it did feel like the Big Apple. I liked the flow of the film. You did not always follow what was going on - I'm still not sure of the role played by the drugs in the tulips - but the scenes did not linger. The film was a little open-ended. If the make The Informer 2, I would buy a ticket for it.
29 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
seanroger-829638 August 2020
I didn't know what to expect with this movie as I had no previous exposure to it or even it's trailer. I saw the cast and there was enough familiar actors to get my attention. I think the movie was mostly realistic and believable. The acting was good from most.
12 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really enjoyed this!
hmshannah6 September 2019
First found Joel Kinnaman in The Killing and have always really liked his acting. He is a very strong actor, and really enjoyed his role in this movie. It has some strong action sequences with the right amount of drama. Would recommend this film, for sure!!
29 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The informer
rnixon-156635 September 2019
The informer 2019 15 director: Andrea De stefano starring: Joel Kinnamon,Rosamund pike,Ana de armas,Common,Clive own etc

overall rating 73/100

When ex convict Pete coslow gets involved with a shooting of a NYPD cop. He has to go back to prison in order to stop a drug gang from getting away with there crimes. But the lifes of his wife and child is at risk and its up to officer wilcox ( rosamund pike) to help him be reunited with his family. The informer was a good thriller but a flawed film, but still thoroughly entertaining lets get into why this is.

First of all the film did a fantastic job of delivering an incredibly tense tone. The film did a fantastic job with keeping you on the edge of your seat. in fact i think this is up there with the most tense and unsettling films of the year in my opinion. The film just put the audience through so many uncomfortable situations. and with the lack of soundtrack it really helped with the authenticity of the film. Whether it was being attacked in the prison or in my opinion the most uncomfortable scene when the main characters wife and child was being gagged and threatened. Also the violence and gore helped with the entertainment value of the film. But also added to the tense tone and impact of each scene with a heads up some very gory things that were borderline 18 rating in my opinion.

however my first issue is the slow pacing in the first half of the film. In my opinion the first half of the film was very slow and made me lose interest a few times. There was just a lot of filler conversations and standing around that left me needing something to spice the film up and make it more entertaining. But luckily they more then redeemed themselves in the second half of the film where it had a absolutely fantastic final act. They really went all out in the last half of the film to make you care about all of the characters and to keep you on the edge of your seat. With all the action was non stop within the last 30/45 minutes of the film so this more then made up for the first half of the film.

Next i think the informer had a good amount of emotional weight to it. The fact that Joel Kinnamons character. Just wanted to get to his family and the love he showed them really made his character more respected in my opinion. And you related to him a bit more because most people are close to there families so being away from them is hard so everyone could passively relate to his emotional state with his wife and kid.

Next i think they really portrayed the harsh reality of prison life really well. A lot of films with prisons in can be very tame with what they show maybe due to the age rating but this film. Showed the types of people the horrible conditions that prisoners rightly have to go through so this was just a nice touch to see. However i do have to say that the film was very stereotypical with what type if inhabitants take up prisons. I think having a lot of the prisoners black and to have it split by colour is fairly old fashioned and they should of picked a more diverse group of people.

Now my final two positives would be the fantastic acting was Joel Kinnamon and Rosamund pike. Rosamund pike was fantastic in the cop role. She was clever and did not take no for a answer whilst also having a kind heart and a nag for doing the right thing. And joel Kinnamon showed great diversity in the film. His character had a great blend of intimidation,vulnerability and perseverance and despite maybe not agreeing with some of his actions largely he was a character that you could support.

However i do have to end on my final two negatives. First of all there was next to no character development or depth to most of the characters. Most of the characters were very one dimensional. And Petes wife did next to nothing in the film apart from being Petes motivation she was just a damsel in distress which was a shame considering the films of today with strong female characters. And finally there was some incredibly dislikable characters. Some of joels workmates who killed policemen and threatened his wife and kid were just sick and really made you not like there characters. I know this was the goal but for whatever reason something was off about some of the characters that really made you question the reasoning for them being there in the script.

Overall the informer is a thoroughly entertaining and tense thriller with excellent acting. But is narratively flawed and could used with more developed and likeable characters.
26 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
started quite well.....
sala15118331 August 2019
Ok so it started quite well but it's soon took a dip. The film had promise to be a good solid crime/drama however it started to complicated itself with too much material. With having said all this I think go and judge it for yourself. The best critic is yourself. Had moments but couldn't sustain it
28 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not good, not bad, just mediocre.
sbweightman30 August 2019
An unremarkable action thriller which isn't particularly good or bad, just mediocre. It's a bit boring at times, a bit too cliché at times and a bit implausible at times, but the story is gritty, the action scenes are well put together and the acting and characters are good, if a bit 1 dimensional.
59 out of 111 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Made better by Kinnaman ... it makes up for all the cliched ordinariness
stevojaxon26 December 2019
Reformed man loves his family; goes straight; betrayed by the system designed to protect us; reformed man is triumphant and the bad system man is punished. The end. Unfortunately this is a common theme coming out of the grinder of movie production. In this story, FBI man betrays bad man who is trying to do the right thing by his family. Nasty FBI man, shame on you. Fortunately nice FBI lady has a conscience and gets it sorted. I like anything with Kinnaman because it can mask a weak story or a poor production. Not that this film suffers from either, it's just that he is a good actor and hypnotizes me into believing I have seen a good movie or have even enjoyed it. So I enjoyed this flick even if I can't remember what it was about because it starred the Kinnaman.
12 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Both Suspenseful and absurd
hampersnow-2890525 December 2019
Joel Kinnaman is about the only thing holding this together. He's an excellent actor and if you like him, this is worth watching. the movie is at times suspenseful but Hollywood seems to have given up on creating anything even slightly realistic. This movie is absurd and as it goes on, only gets more absurd. Towards the end I was actually laughing which isn't a good sign when the movie is suppose to be a dramatic thriller. Worth a watch for Joel or if you have nothing else to watch.
29 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Meh - do NOT recommend 👎
The_Boxing_Cat26 January 2020
Started out kinda strong, but quickly fizzled out. I was surprised to see such good actors in this mediocre film, except for Common- he can't act himself out of a paper bag.

In the end it was a disappointment.
22 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrible script that has absurd ending - acting good but waste of time
trav12327 December 2019
This movie is a prime example of a terrible script screwing up a film. The acting is good and the directing okay but the story is so bad that you stop believing in the horrible plot, and they add a terrible finale that suspends any chance of belief that you just laugh and smirk that anyone thought this was a good idea of a story line. Plus the ending is so preposterous it feels like it is a tv series with a part 2 To be Continued. As if this piece of crap would have a sequel.... A 5 for the acting
24 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very Entertaining
vinnie-redfearn31 August 2019
Great complex storyline but easy to follow. Very good film with superb acting. Confused why the rating isn't higher yet.
22 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.