Spooky Buddies (Video 2011) Poster

(2011 Video)

Halloween movie for children
cldeross2 October 2011
My six year old son found this movie to "spooky" to finish. He begged me to turn it off because he was scared. I found it cute and was surprised he didn't like it, since he is such a big fan of these films. At the time I rented it, the clerk warned me that some other children also found it scary. In the end, I will say it was a great movie in the lines of these movies, but just be prepared for your little one to get a little scared. I will try it again, when he is older, possibly next year.

I would also like to mention that people need to remember these movie are made for small children so silly, over acting is expected.
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Spooky Buddies vs Religion
jm_norman194 March 2012
I have read a review on here with a person being so upset that the spooky buddies is pushing religion in the face of their children!!!! The BUDDIES series is a Disney made series for children and young people, it do not push religion in your face, it's all for who ever believes in what ever....I am united, a Christianity religion but that does not mean the movie is poking religion in my face or your. If you look into all movies and TV shows your child watches, you will see that all movies are created to entertain a certain audience....I am all for the SPOOKY BUDDIES and all of their movies. Children love the buddies, and it isn't all about religion...just some people want to cause a riot I guess
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Following Along The Buddies Trail
swedish_chef_dave19 September 2011
I managed to get hold of an advanced copy of the movie and my 9 year old was jumping for joy about that, I wasn't holding my breath about watching this movie with her but we both laughed within 30 seconds of it starting. The production quality was equal to the other 3 in the series and I was very pleased because of that alone. The acting was pretty over the top but for young kids it was perfect and nothing too scary, the story line was pretty thin but it kept my little girl dancing up and down right up to the final elimination of the bad evil Warlock. It was all too cheesy but these movies are what it is all about as kids love cheesy and need a simple plot or they get lost. I for one will say it is OK for young kids and not too silly but Pixar movies are far superior and let kids use their own imagination more as well as letting adults enjoy them.
10 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's a movie for little kiddies about little doggies!
TOMASBBloodhound21 October 2012
That's it! It's not a promotion of Christianity, witchcraft, or anything other than a Disney pursuit of the almighty dollar! I normally ignore the comments of others on this site, but sheesh! I really hope some of these posters are kidding. This is a straight-to-DVD Disney time waster that only wishes to give parents something they can show their kids on a rainy afternoon or some such. Maybe if I were under six years old I would also find this too frightening to watch. But that's what they initially said would be the problem with Scooby Doo, and look how long that has endured. Spooky Buddies is not great cinema, or deep cinema. Take it for what it is.

The story deals with an evil warlock attempting to unleash the powers of the underworld on an unsuspecting small town. It looks like he lives in the same house as Jerry Dandridge in the original Fright Night. Probably the same set was used. Anyway, this warlock first attempts to unleash this attack back in 1937. He and his evil Saint Bernard helper need the souls of five dogs related by blood. They nearly succeed, but the townspeople show up in time to stop the ritual and one dog's soul is not taken. Fast-forward to present day, and a group of five new puppies and five kids find themselves in danger of suffering the same fate. Can the ghost of the dog whose soul escaped the underworld warn the new pups in time? Or will the warlock and his evil dog catch the puppies and unleash their reign of terror on the town? And most importantly of all... will Nicholas Cage sue the makers of the film for making the warlock look so much like him?? The film is fairly cute, and certainly harmless. It spends as much time with the local kids as it does with the dogs. Even some of the local adults get in on the fun. More than a few of the voice actors are recognizable, and I really wasn't sure Tim Conway was still alive before seeing this. The Saint Bernard from the underworld who helps the warlock is kind of scary-looking, but he's no Cujo. I wasn't sure why the owl character was needed, but kids might like him. The puppies from 1937 who are of course saved and brought back to life are all cute little beagles. The puppies from the present are golden retrievers, as they are supposedly descended from Air Bud or something. I'm not really up on this Disney franchise. All very cute little pups. The film boasts better than expected special f/x. Ignore the dire warnings of others when it comes to Spooky Buddies. Its not going to scar any kid for life religiously. Just a good way to kill an hour and a half. Or something you can have on the background while your family is carving a pumpkin. Considering what type of film it is, its probably worth about 7 of 10 stars.

The Hound.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Calm down people, it's a kids movie
DylanMcChillin27 October 2018
It's a decent kids movie. If it doesn't appeal to adults that's because it's marketed towards kids.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Did Anyone Say Hocus Pocus?
artybookworm18 November 2017
I watched this movie last night, and I'm still in shock. I can't understand how the producers of the movie weren't sued. Honestly, this was an extremely bad copy of Hocus Pocus. There's a scene with a dance, a male witch, talking animals, a legend, a book with spells, a man who behaves like a zombie. I could not believe what I was watching. Hocus Pocus is one of my favourite childhood films, and it felt a little bit insulting to see how shamelessly the producers of this film had stolen everything from it. It's just a pity because there are some known names on the cast list. However, I did not see what other viewers are complaining about, the Christian matter. There are a lot of films with witches, talking animals and spells, and kids don't get traumatized by it. It's scarier fanaticism and complaining about talking dogs than this movie.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Buddies work to ensure that good triumphs over evil - through Christianity?!
imadisneygal5 October 2011
I have seen all of the other movies in the "Buddies" series and I have never before noticed an overt Christian theme. This movie actively promotes Christianity and I do not appreciate it. I do not look to children's movies to educate my children about religion and I certainly do not need it pushed on them under the guise of entertainment. The movie does have some funny moments in it and overall it's the same type of jokes we have come to expect from the "Buddies" franchise. I am hopeful that the movie makers will be more mindful in the future that not all of their movie watchers are Christian nor do we want our children to be exposed to religion in the context of a children's movie. We will not be watching this movie again.
11 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not a great movie, but what's up with the anti-Christian attitude?
josavingmoney13 December 2013
This movie is awful. However, for reasons unbeknown to me, my kid likes this movie.

*Spoiler* You have been warned.

To respond to a few of the reviews, in the context of the movie, it makes sense that the old guy would hide the book in the church, given that most people in previous generations went to church - even if they weren't 'believers'.

People are correct when they say that all viewers aren't Christian, but it is also correct to point out that a lot of Disney viewers are Christians and support the Disney brand because they tend to be family-friendly.

It's a delicate line movie makers walk to tell their stories. I'm not sure how you'd tell this particular story and exclude the church and the "good/evil" element. It would have lost a lot of its 'punch'.

Honestly, I thought this scene w/the old man and the kids in the church was the best part of the movie. Besides the end.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Great Halloween Movie for the Family
nancy-497-2714438 October 2012
I showed this movie last October as part of a Family Movie Night and 72 people came to watch it. No one complained about any religious overtones and believe me they would have gone to my director if they did. I found this movie enjoyable for adults and children and one of the best buddies movie they have made. It was perfect for the season. As a matter a fact I will be showing it again this month as there were no other recent family Halloween movies to show my audience. This movie had my audience laughing and enjoying themselves. Don't read too much into a movie, just sit back and have fun like my viewers do. The Buddie movies are harmless, family fun and I always draw at least 30 people to this event. I wish there were more harmless movies made to show families. I was surprised to see that this movie had only a 4.6 rating on IMDb, it should at least be a 7.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
wow, vewwy cool
o-339184 March 2019
This movie is very good

Be sure to say your 5 daily prayers Jimbob out!
A BOOtiful production.
avasteinbach22 March 2018
I was scrolling through the deep deep depths of netflix one night whilst a movie title caught my eye. "Spooky buddies" it read. I instantly clicked on it with great anticipation, hoping it would be worth the time.

Turns out it was more shocking than this is us and 911 combined!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It wasn't spooky, and I sure don't want it to be MY buddy!
sporeviews4 January 2018
I WAS going to be nice to this movie, since it just looked like your typical talking dog movie, and it didn't look all THAT stupid at first. But then it just goes right up the deep end into total GARBAGE.

The villain is an idiot, the hound's means and methods don't make any sense, the acting is terrible, the decent animation is sadly overlooked, the story is full of cliches and contrivances, and seriously, the Halloween hound is defeated by a FART!?

I don't care if this is a direct-to-DVD talking dog movie, I expected BETTER from you, DISNEY. I expected a LOT better.
Too Evil for Children
ActiveMama11 November 2011
I do not recommend this movie for children who have not been desensitized to evil witchcraft. References to evil spirits, the underworld, and black magic abound. The Halloween Hound has yellow glowing eyes and *minor spoiler* breathes out black smoke that turns animals to stone. He also "eats" the puppies' "souls". This is necessary to *spoiler* "open a porthole" that will unleash evil spirits into our world and give the evil warlock Warwick (Harland Williams) control of the world.

There are, interestingly enough, two references to Christianity in the film. *Spoilers* One where the people are safe from evil in "the House of God" (a church), and another where reading words from the Bible thwarts evil. As a Christian, these references did not at all make up for the unnecessary exposure to evil and witchcraft. In my opinion, children DO NOT need this!

We are fans of the "Buddies" movies, but NOT this one. My 8 and 10 year old hated this movie. They were both awake most of the night because of it. If you do not like the first 5 minutes of this movie, turn it off! It doesn't get any better.
5 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Spooky Buddies? I think VERY SPOOKY BUDDIES!
emilia-freeman8 June 2014
This movie sent my child to hospital. He is 19 and after watching this movie, he couldn't sleep for weeks, until we finally sent him to a therapist who drugged him and sent him away. This film is NOT FOR CHILDREN!!! It should be rated 15, or even more! The plot is OK, the acting was awful, and the Halloween Hound was far too scary. We are a very religious family and the thought of talking animals coming back from the dead, shocked me. This film is part of the Illuminati. I am very disappointed Disney!! This movie is shockingly awful! do not watch. The only reason I have gave it one star is because the acting from those dogs was excellent, I didn't know animals could talk?? Who knew?!
3 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The worst of the bunch!
rockndaparadise7 March 2012
Being a huge fan of the Buddies movies, I was really excited about this movie when I heard it was coming out. The gap between this one and "Santa Buddies" was nearly two years. ("The Search for Santa Paws" doesn't count.) For a while, this movie has been rumored, but I've found no info of it either on IMDb, Wikipedia, or even the official Buddies website. But now it's here. But enough about that, let's move on to the review...

Sadly, I'd have to say that this movie was not worth the wait. Compared to it's predecessors, "Spooky Buddies" was a huge letdown. Nobody I recognized worked on the movie (with the exception of Michael Bolton, who was the production manager for some reason), the story is unoriginal, the characters are uninspiring, the Buddies are not shown very much despite the fact that they are the titular characters, the CG effects badly rip off "Casper", and there's a lot of logic in the movie that makes so little sense that I'm sure the Nostalgia Critic will have a fit about!

I never thought I'd say this, but this was easily the worst of the Buddies movies. At first I thought Disney would never disappoint me with this franchise. (I'm still not sure why so many people hate these movies.) "Space Buddies" did come pretty close, but "Spooky Buddies takes the cake. On a positive note, "Treasure Buddies" was a considerable improvement. I'll just hope that Disney will continue to make these Buddies movies and make them the way they should be made.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not a very good choice for the family
eva_croft19 October 2012
I mostly love to watch movies for kids,but this one was so bad that I couldn't even stand to see the whole movie. I don't appreciate a lot of animals which talk,even more those who have the leading roles. The plot was thin with a lack of fantasy. Children's acting was fine, but sorcerer's was kinda bad. It has,though,something that simulated to the good Disney movies,but it wasn't enough. If you are an adult probably you won't enjoy it. My younger brother(11 years old) and sister(14 years old) got bored in about 15 minutes,too. It seems to me that this film is only suitable for children under 5 years old, because this scenario can't convince anybody else.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
my little sister actually got scared at this?
shootthekitty4 March 2012
We wanted a movie from Cox on Demand. It was between space Jam, or this garbage. When Air Bud came out, it was a great movie about man's best friend, and playing basketball with him. It slowly regressed to a lame movie that only Justin Bieber- Disney XD liking brainwashed children can like. SPOILER AHEAD YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

the story consists of a hell-hound who tries to eat the souls of five sibling puppies, the puppies masters dress them up for Halloween, and big surprise, they can talk. Just like the previous movies. I don't deny that the hell-hound might scare little children, but from what I saw, they are expecting a horror of demonic proportions like Paranormal Activity, or anything Stephen king writes
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.