The Maze Runner (2014)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 12 items
|MPAA||Rated PG-13 for thematic elements and intense sequences of sci-fi violence and action, including some disturbing images|
Sex & Nudity
Violence & Gore
- Many "Grievers" (a part mechanical crab-like creature with a huge mouth of teeth) charge into a glade where young men, teen boys and a teen girl are hiding; we hear screaming and see some people being taken away by the "Grievers" that grab them with their long mechanical tails that have a claw on the end; during the struggle we see some people being impaled by long spikes on the legs of the creatures (no blood is evident); a "Griever" is shown in flames after being struck by a Molotov cocktail of sorts and another is stabbed with two spears.
- A teen boy encounters a young man in the woods and he looks sick with gray-tinged skin, blood on his shirt and crazy eyes; the young man charges the teen and slams him to the ground yelling that he will kill him and holds his hands over his throat; the teen grabs a skull off the ground and hits the young man in the head, then runs screaming for help and someone hits the young man over the head and others hold him on the ground.
- A young man who appears ill from having been stung holds a gun and points it toward several others before another young man throws a spear and hits him in the chest we see the spear sticking out of his chest and he falls to the floor dead; the gun discharges as he is struck and a boy is shown with a bloody wound on his chest (the boy dies).
- A teen boy stabs himself in the stomach with a stinger that infects him with something and he falls to the ground (he wakes up fine later).
- We watch a video that shows a woman holding a gun to her head and we hear the gunshot (we do not see the impact, but see her body on the floor later).
- Two teen boys wrestle in a ring surrounded by others who watch and cheer; one throws the other to the ground, one slams the other to the ground and one trips the other causing him to fall and hit his head on the ground (he appears OK).
- Several teen boys and young men go into a maze to retrieve pieces of a dead "Griever" and we see it pinched between two stone walls with a lot of goo and tissue hanging out of it; one young man reaches inside the crevasse to pull a blinking device out and the griever flinches causing them all to jump back.
- We hear eerie screeching coming from inside the walls of a maze.
- 13 uses of "hell," 6 of "shit," 3 of "damn," 2 of "ass," and 1 use each of "Goddamn," "oh my God," "asshole," "bastard" and "son of a bitch."
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- The film is filled with intense chasing and escaping scenes.
- The "Grievers" are monsters which are creepy and scary, especially when they are attacking the characters.
Violence & Gore
- A kid is stabbed/shot and everybody mourns. Thomas is the most devastated. He screams and cries. He is eventually dragged away by security guards. The dead kid is left alone.