More than a decade after the turbulent disintegration of the Yugoslavian Republic, its former citizens are beginning to question the reasons behind the bloody conflicts of the 1990s and the true motives behind the US and NATO intervention.
The Weight of Chains is a Canadian documentary film that takes a critical look at the role that the US, NATO and the EU played in the tragic breakup of a once peaceful and prosperous European state - Yugoslavia. The film, bursting with rare stock footage never before seen by Western audiences, is a creative first-hand look at why the West intervened in the Yugoslav conflict, with an impressive roster of interviews with academics, diplomats, media personalities and ordinary citizens of the former Yugoslav republics. This film also presents positive stories from the Yugoslav wars - people helping each other regardless of their ethnic background, stories of bravery and self-sacrifice.Written by
WHY you must see this one despite some radical views by other reviewers , a real MUST !
Ignore the radical reviewers, there is a lot of solid information here, so solid that Croats and Bosnians "wasted" 2 hours of their life to watch this films and try to convince you not to see it.
Amazing how denial plays a role so deep in all this matter, there were no innocent parties in this ugly war, they all share the same amount of responsibility.
I have studied the subject and seen several documentaries on this chapter of recent history in Europe, the one thing that is Crystal clear is that Croats, Bosnians and Serbs will never acknowledge their crimes.
Croats were no saints in this war and probably they should carry 40% of the responsibility of the break up of the country, the remaining 60% split between Serbs and Bosnians
You must see this one because is one of the few documentaries that tells the other side of the story, of course, understanding that a balance between what you see here and what the other side presents can give you a more neutral opinion.
All those dismissing this documentary, calling it propaganda, lies and so on, surely are those who know better but can't accept their own role in the crimes the helped commit and now want to make everyone believe they did nothing wrong.
Most people are not so naive as to really believe that Croatia and Bosnia didn't do anything wrong or that Serbia did it all by themselves, that is the Croat and Bosnian cheap propaganda, play victims and blame someone else.
Serbs must accept as well that not everyone was against them, part of the blame is within their own politicians.
In all Croatians, Bosnians and Serbian committed crimes against humanity, BUT there is a pale bright light, Croatians stared opening companies in Serbia, they can do business there but Serbians are not yet welcome in Croatia, lets hope this will change one day.
64 of 150 people found this review helpful.
Was this review helpful to you?
| Report this